6.8

1. Jul 26, 2013
    "The Wolverine" stays true to the comics, the Japanese arc of the comics is easily Wolverine's best story and this movie delivers more than justice! Best superhero movie of the summer.
  2. Jul 26, 2013
    This movie was off the chain. Judging by my profile you can see I rarely ever give a perfect score for anything but this movie was amazing. Not only was it the best action movie I've seen in a while, it is the best movie I have seen in a very long time. This was a very well put together movie. I honestly wasn't even planning on seeing this because it just looked like a random one off story in Wolverines life filled with unrecognizable characters. But the characters are well written and acted perfectly. The action was amazing with each scene being as memorable as the last. I was just blown away by this movie because I came in expecting a lackluster forgettable story, and I got so much more. This movie left me wanting more, and I hope the characters make a future return in Wolverine's life. I'm not going to spoil anything, but I suggest you go see this movie. Ignore the critics and negative reviews, this is a 5 star action flick that will keep you on the edge of your seat (it literally gave me chills). I do't understand how anyone can give this movie less than and 8, but you can't please everybody. Overall I guarantee you won't be disappointed, money well spent. Expand
  3. Jul 26, 2013
    From the beginning I thought that this movie would the worse superhero movie of the year. But after exiting the cinema I was stunned, it was literally a huge surprise.Hugh Jackman kicks ass as the Wolverine like always and all the other actors did a solid job. The story was awesome, it was nice to see the Wolverine in another way; mortal and vulnerable. There where awesome fight scenes and the script/conversations where decent. The ending was a surprise which I loved. I loved the envirenment, Japan and Tokia was interesting and beautiful, not like Origins (which was a sh*t movie, dont watch it). Overall, The Wolverine is one of the best action movies this year in my opinion. Expand
  4. Jul 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I thought that the movie started off a bit slow but, as my partner said, it just had to lay the foundation of the characters which is good. THe movie is amazing! I went opening night, which is rare for me since I typically don't enjoy the movie too much opening night due to the incessantly excessive noise people make but this was definitely worth the risk. It's an amazing movie that shows the depth of the Marvels Wolverine and how he ties in with the rest of the mutants. Be sure to wait until the end of the movie for a bonus! Go see it! Expand
  5. Jul 28, 2013
    The critics are off on this one.. There is so many superhero films that they are starting to get sick of them. But The Wolverine, is not only a good superhero movie, it is a good movie. The characters, the acting, the action, the cinematography is all great here.
  6. Jul 28, 2013
    Continued the X-men story-line quite well, and as usual be certain to watch after the credits for the standard X-men glimpse into what comes next. Having Wolverine advance the X-men to the next logical conclusion works, which at the same time including a good alternate personal adventure for The Wolverine to contend with. Logan must balance the pain of his past, his torturous guilt for having been in love with Jean Grey while at the same time, having to kill her. Jean is now subdued into Logan's dream world where she visits him in extremely sweet little nighties, always laying next to him in bed and calling him to the afterlife, now that he apparently has a chance to join her since the villain at this juncture has devised a plan to steal Logan's immortality.

The film has plenty of X-personal emotion-morality we have come to cherish in getting to understand the stoic, Maverick Wolverine over the years, and is certainly not shy on great and originally creative action sequences, one in particular on top of a train that has never been done before. Combined with Matrix-Era king-fu gang fights that Logan boxes his way through adds an extra cool touch with this film. I love the ending and its message, and he way it just continues the whole saga into yet another mystery of how this time they may all get together to save themselves, and humanity.
  7. Jul 28, 2013
    I'd say this was the second best Marvel movie thus far, after Avengers. Behind it, I would put Iron Man 1 & 2, Captain America and some of the x-men trilogy. The Spiderman movies would come after that...
  8. Jul 30, 2013
    Some people may argue this point but in my opinion this is the best X-men film yet. (First class being runner up). As you can't treat a film that is 5th in a series, when it intentionally relates back to events in other movies, as stand alone, other movies must be mentioned. Briefly X-men 1,2,3 suffer the plight of a lot of comic book films. They feel satisfied to show you the characters without really many of the actors really owning them or doing anything unique with them. Halle Berry for instance can act. When she played storm though she went completely one dimensional. Comic books are things which have been adapted and re-interpreted for decades. And the transition to film has worked a lot better for some comics than others. X1 to X3 were treated as ensemble films with some actors getting bigger pieces than others, when they should have been treated more like overlapping story-line's with common characters. Truer to the medium.

This is the first X-man film to successfully get away from all that. Now X-man origins gave it a solid try but none of the characters, including a woefully underused gambit, were given any emotional depth in that film. X-men first class was a good ensemble film, but was still an ensemble film. None of the characters were particularly dynamic, though it was at least well done.

This film is about Wolverine. Now Wolverine as far as X-men go has always suffered the downside of being a bit too overpowered with his healing abilities. This film does a good job of making, and showing his fragile side. This is accomplished in two parts, with some unknown (Spoilers) ailment he suffers and with dream's/hallucinations of the late Jean Gray. Something which comes off as a bit odd because in X1-X3 she didn't have much of a romance story arc with wolverine. Even though she plays the roll in this film beautifully. In the comic she does and it would have been nice to be treated to maybe a scene near the beginning, a classy black and white of SOMETHING happening between those two. Maybe during a side mission somewhere around the events of X1 or X2. Just a little something to show their romance bloomed beyond anything rated G.
    Aside from hallucinations of Cyclops under-dressed girlfriend there is wolverines new found physical frailness to contend with. Frailty is something hard to execute correctly in film. Too much and your hero is a sissy. Not enough and you wonder what the holdup is. In this movie with some cinematic tricks reminiscent of the opening to saving private Ryan, they manage to show Hugh Jackman struggling with a weakness he is not used to, and they manage to a accomplish this with great success, and without holding him back.

The plot of this films is also quite good up until the last 20 minutes or so. People have commented the film lacks a real villain. And its true. But some stories aren't necessarily about bringing down the bad guy. A big part of this film is Wolverine trying to save someone, and trying to save himself spiritually in the process. To that end being attacked by numerous anonymous henchmen with no clear view who is after him works really well, though it was obviously simplified a bit in the adaptation.
    There are moments of comic book excellence in the cinematography where without anything being colored in, or split screened you can almost feel the artists vision leaping off of the page. And it is really cool when a film accomplishes that. So many comic book films try with those iconic images and fall so short.
    Having 90% of the film take place in a slightly stylized Japan also works really well as both the character and audience feel like they are on unfamiliar but quite beautiful ground.

I have three criticisms of this film. The first is in the ending of the film a couple of things happen for unclear reasons. Minor characters act in a certain way, uncharacteristic of what little we know of them. It comes off as sloppy and rushed. Secondly The scenes with Jean Gray need backing up. She was hauntingly beautiful for Wolverine's internal monologue, but if I didn't know the mythos it would have been creepy. Finally right at the end of the film something happens to wolverine's claws. And in the teaser of X-men future past this is apparently not corrected. But the last two things are minor annoyances really and the film makes me look forward to days of future past.

On the grand scale of comic book films, The dark Knight and Watchmen being the best, The second hulk and green hornet being the worst (of this iteration at least) This film falls short of being the best. But shows the franchise is capable of moving in the right direction. It just needs to keep going the same way it went with this film and carry it just a bit further.
  9. Aug 25, 2013
    With this much superhero moviesne life wolverine had to be different and it deliverd. It is a refreshment in this genre It doesn`t pretend to be a part of a bigger story insted it`s a stand alone movie about events in wolverine`s life. Action sequences a great and the movie fun.
  10. Jul 27, 2013
    Great movie in general. Not to mention the best superhero movie of this summer so far! It is has a great plot that focuses more on character development than action. Dont miss this one!
  11. Jul 28, 2013
    The wolverine is by far one of the best of the saga. I was on the edge of my seat enjoying ever scene and ill I g every second of this movie. I can't wait in the future of more films with huge jackman as the wolverine
  12. Jul 26, 2013
    I feel like if you are a fan of the Claremont/Miller miniseries you can't not like this. It does its best of keeping characters intact while deviating from the comics in the sake of a self contained story and grander character development. As a Wolverine fan it was nice to see a meaningful relationship blossom between Wolverine and Mariko, unlike the comics where it really is love at first sight. Instead here Wolverine falls in love not entirely with the character, but rather with the idea of being a protector, a take that is a welcome addition to the Claremont storyline. As for Silver Samurai and Viper, let us not forget they were involved in the X Men issues directly connecting to the Wolverine miniseries, their characters have undertaken slight adjustments in order to incorporate ideas from the Fatal Attractions storyline. I loved that some of the plot took from Wolverine's side of this storyline because it was one of the few times in the series where Logan did feel vulnerable. All in all I think its the best character study of Wolverine any fan could ask for. Wolverine struggles with his animalistic urges and his commitment to reform, he grapples to find meaning in his endless immortality, and he ultimately finds purpose, a purpose that is fulfilled in his return as an X-Man. None of these developments are significantly or profoundly discovered, rather they are slowly revealed, which may turn casual movie goers off from enjoying this film. As a thoughtful exploration of Wolverine's character and a grand homage to incredible source material though, how can any Wolverine fan say no to this movie? It is the best X-Men movie and one of the best comic based movies. Expand
  13. Aug 28, 2013
    As expected this was a great addition to the X-Men series that focuses on just Wolverine, and it was an improvement on the first solo Wolverine film. It's a little more serious and less corny than previous installments which is a very good thing, and has a few twists & turns in there as well as plenty of Action. Jackman once again proves that he was the right choice for this character as he has delivered every time he portrays him. Overall great stuff, and stick around during the credits! Expand
  14. Jul 26, 2013
    I really enjoyed The Wolverine, a huge step up from the misfire that was Origins. It most certainly stuck true to the comics, and for a Marvel movie, was very intense. Much better than Man of Steel.
  15. Feb 27, 2014
    Arguably the best Wolverine movie yet, and let's be honest all the X-Men movies but "First Class" were about him, so that's a pretty big compliment. The action is great and Hugh Jackman is still perfect as Wolverine. The plot here is also very good even if it does include an almost pointless romance as well as a predictable final plot twist. Overall though it's hard to complain about a superhero movie when the action and special effects are this good. I also really enjoyed the new characters.

It's safe to say that if you are an X-Men or Wolverine fan then you should enjoy this movie. Even as someone who hasn't always enjoyed the X-Men movies I really enjoyed this one. So I find this to be one that is easily recommendable. Do yourself a favor on this one and be sure to watch through the credits.
  16. Jul 27, 2013
    Just saw the 3d version today, as a life long wolverine fan I can honestly say they got it right. The whole time I kept thinking "why couldn't this be the movie we got a few years ago instead of origins." if you're on the fence about seeing this movie take my advice and do it. Its totally worth it.
  17. Aug 1, 2013
    After the disappointment of X-Men 3 and X-Men Origins: Wolverine, the series basically had nowhere to go but up. And after this, I would go ahead and say the series has redeemed itself. Continuing the quality created X-Men: First Class, The Wolverine is a simply great movie, and it portrays the character in the way we've always wanted to see him. A great plot, memorable characters, intense action scenes, and an immensely surprising scene during the credits leave you not only incredibly satisfied with the flick, but even more excited for the upcoming X-Men: Days of Future Past. If you are an X-Men fan, or a Marvel fan in general, defiantly check out this movie. Expand
  18. Jul 29, 2013
    Easily the best action movie of the summer. Although Pacific Rim is real close! Come on, Wolverine and Ninjas! What else do you need? Ok, it does have one too many dream sequences, we got the point alright. Also it panders to the audience a couple of times like when he asked if that was a bullet train. Other than that top notch all the way. And with so many fuddy duddies like Lone Ranger and RIPD we welcome Wolverine with a great big bear hug. mmmmh Collapse
  19. Mar 18, 2014
    So it has one part, ONE PART that lasts about 15 minutes involving a giant robot mech samurai thingamabob (that I thought was, well, okay) that pissed people off about this movie? The rest of the film was great! Much better than Origins. Well-paced, character/story driven, with a balancing of awesome action scenes (the train scene in particular). Plus, that setup for Days of Future past during the credits, just ended it on an awesome note. If you haven't seen it yet, and you're worried about the negative remarks from people and the average reviews, don't worry. Just go watch it and see for yourself. I enjoyed it. Plus, it's one of Marvel's better movies, especially after the boring Spiderman reboot and that joke of a "film" Iron Man 3. Expand
  20. Jul 30, 2013
    An excellent adaptation of my favourite Wolverine comic series, The Wolverine does a fantastic job of developing the character further than ever before (and much better than the last installment of the Wolverine franchise). Action scenes are fast and beautifully choreographed with much better CGI than before (referring to the claws mostly) and it's much better on the violence side too!
    The soundtrack is also fantastic, as is the acting, especially good from Jackman this time, but also from everyone else involved.

In summary, my new favourite comic book hero film of all time! I'll be watching this for a long long time. And I hope you do to. Great respect to the Director.
  21. Aug 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Wolverine is the newest X-men film to hit cinemas this year. I am genuinely surprised that this film was only given a 6.9 by users as it was incredibly enjoyable. I felt my self on the edge of the seat constantly. That one scene where wolverine rips a parasite out of his heart had me shaking for the next 10 minutes of the film. I walked out of that cinema debating the film's age rating. The UK rating is 12A so I was permitted to see it. However it was in my opinion borderline 15 and I was a little shocked as I expected a typical superhero movie (guns, explosions) and I was handed a plateful of gore! But you know what? That was what I liked. I like a film that I can watch without getting scared but just staring at all the blood and saying 'awesome!!!!'. All in all, I really enjoyed 'The Wolverine' and I am truly glad that it wasn't rated a 15!!! Expand
  22. Jul 27, 2013
    The movie is awesome as expected. Great story, great actor & nicely directed. Hugh finally showed us that he's the only one who can do the Wolverine's role. No one can do it better than Hugh. It was an epic, thrilling & awesome movie!
  23. Jul 29, 2013
    Good acting, and a plot that explores the character, more than it exploits its powers and flashy traits for the only sake of dumb fun. The last xmen movies where mostly fun but unintelligent, Origins wolverine was as dumb as it can get, so this is actually a refreshing step forward for the franchise.
  24. Jul 30, 2013
    The movie was good but it could have been better My opinion is that Christopher Nolan should be the director of the next wolverine movie Hopefully there will be a new wolverine movie soon
  25. Jul 31, 2013
    "The wolverine" proves to be the best at what he does.Hugh Jackman is best suited actor for this role and Yukio's character is one of the film's main highlights along with the action sequences.Looking forward to "x men :days of future" past. Best superhero movie of the summer!
  26. Aug 5, 2013
    Totally awesome, kick ass fight scenes, mature story, as well as questionable logic. (Spoiler) 'I thought adamantium was supposed to be unbreakable?' I kept saying to myself. It wasn't a perfect movie, but I'm glad it was made, if only to show that Wolverine can make a good stand alone movie character. They followed the comics well, tied in something I've known about for sometime and even managed to make it so a sequel can, but doesn't have to be made. 4.5 out of 5 stars for me. Expand
  27. Aug 8, 2013
    The Wolverine is a great film the people who think that Origins was better have no idea what the whole x-men universe is This films delivers what wolverine fans always wanted to see the japan saga Sure ..it can't stay true 100% to the comic but you have to adapt the story change it so that it can make sense. People don't get that comics are different from movies For me The Wolverine had great story great characters, great action ...it's different from the other x-men movies and that is why i enjoyed it so much it's fresh we get to see the character of Wolverine vulnerable and at it's lowest point Hugh Jackman did a wonderful job thank you people can say bad things about the movie ..but the true fans will appreciate it Expand
  28. Aug 11, 2013
    Wolverine is a great movie. It wasn't the same kind of blockbuster as other superhero movies, but it seemed to have more of a humanity to it. Wolverine had more time to develop as a character than in origins. My only complaint was that it tended to not dwell on mutants as much, but I suppose it was perfectly fine without other mutants. Wolverine is definitely worth watching.
  29. Aug 12, 2013
    I love this movie not that I am a huge fan of the comics but jus how they directed the movie to be dark and gritty like most other movies these days, but in the same way ceeps it cind of realistic of how Wolverine manges the loses he had to enure and the many wars he has fought through out his many years on this earth. I deffinetly recommend this movie for every one that likes a good action movie or superhero movie. Expand
  30. Sep 21, 2013
    No estaba muy seguro si deseaba volver a ver a Jackman como Wolverine y pensaba que la historia que vivimos con X-Men Origin: Wolverine iba a repetirse. Pero me equivoqué; está en mi opinión ha sido una de las películas perteneciente a la franquicia de X-Men más sólida que haya visto. Empezando porque el director imponen un estilo diferente y con mucha credibilidad. Fue sumamente interesante, el ver como Logan realmente no puede separarse de su instinto animal y agresivo (Wolverine). Que con mucha ironía lo usa para hacer el bien y no el mal. El sentir a nuestro héroe experimentar una pisca de la mortalidad, fue lo que lo hiso más impresionante que nunca. Pero haciendo un paréntesis si hubo algo que me pareció molestoso y que no funcionó fue el personaje de Viper. No obstante la película es lo suficientemente buena como para opacar este hecho. Es claro que en el último y tercer acto la vibra en el ambiente de esta cinta cinematográfica cambia un poco -reconociendo que fue necesario- para recordarnos que estamos viendo una película de X-Men y no otra cosa. Expand
  31. Sep 26, 2013
    Wow 6/10, really metacritic? Simply put, this movie is worth watching on the big screen. It barely makes mistakes and is just awesome to watch wolverine rip some up on a suit. Excellent movie.
  32. Jan 5, 2014
    I really enjoyed this movie and I'm not a great fan of X-men movies but I thought Hugh Jackman's protrayal was excellent this time round. A much more entertaining movie than Wolverine. The special effects were spectacular although the ending was a wee bit over the top.
  33. Feb 14, 2014
    the wolverine is Big changes all of its previous sequels. instead of adding same story and taste in every sequel, its a good thing to change some characters , and had allot work on actions and music.

1. Reviewed by: Claudia Puig
    Jul 28, 2013
    An intermittently exciting action film anchored by a strong performance by Jackman, who embodies Wolverine like no one else could.
    Slapped with the generic title The Wolverine, the fifth feature-length appearance of Hugh Jackman’s X-Man John Logan is basically "The Bad News Wolverine Goes to Japan" and is not especially world-shaking.
  3. Reviewed by: Rene Rodriguez
    Jul 28, 2013
    The post-conversion 3D is more distracting than anything else, but the rest of this surprisingly fun entertainment is as sharp as the hero’s claws.