6.7

1. Mar 18, 2014
    So it has one part, ONE PART that lasts about 15 minutes involving a giant robot mech samurai thingamabob (that I thought was, well, okay) that pissed people off about this movie? The rest of the film was great! Much better than Origins. Well-paced, character/story driven, with a balancing of awesome action scenes (the train scene in particular). Plus, that setup for Days of Future past during the credits, just ended it on an awesome note. If you haven't seen it yet, and you're worried about the negative remarks from people and the average reviews, don't worry. Just go watch it and see for yourself. I enjoyed it. Plus, it's one of Marvel's better movies, especially after the boring Spiderman reboot and that joke of a "film" Iron Man 3. Expand
  2. Feb 27, 2014
    Arguably the best Wolverine movie yet, and let's be honest all the X-Men movies but "First Class" were about him, so that's a pretty big compliment. The action is great and Hugh Jackman is still perfect as Wolverine. The plot here is also very good even if it does include an almost pointless romance as well as a predictable final plot twist. Overall though it's hard to complain about a superhero movie when the action and special effects are this good. I also really enjoyed the new characters.

It's safe to say that if you are an X-Men or Wolverine fan then you should enjoy this movie. Even as someone who hasn't always enjoyed the X-Men movies I really enjoyed this one. So I find this to be one that is easily recommendable. Do yourself a favor on this one and be sure to watch through the credits.
  3. Feb 23, 2014
    The Wolverine was a very good movie but didn't quite live up to the hype or the potential. The pace and style was unlike any other X-Men movie made to this point and I thought that was actually a good thing. It spent more time on the development of the characters and the emotions. The only negative for me was the last 15-20 minutes or so. It felt rushed, nonsensical, and just mediocre in general. They failed to make any motives make sense and the twist was too cliche. It was a good movie but it deserved a much better ending. Expand
  4. Feb 14, 2014
    the wolverine is Big changes all of its previous sequels. instead of adding same story and taste in every sequel, its a good thing to change some characters , and had allot work on actions and music.
  5. Jan 20, 2014
    This is a decent movie. It had potential to truly be great in exploring Logan's struggle with immortality, but falls utterly short in that regard. Instead it becomes a fun yet unfulfilling action sequence. The action is well done and somewhat redeems the movie's other shortcomings, but not enough to make it great.
  6. Jan 9, 2014
    It's definitely better than X-Men Origins: Wolverine. The action is great. The characterization is also appreciated, showing Logan's struggle with the death of Jean Grey. Hugh Jackman's performance is also a plus.

The plot, on the other hand, is a bit boring. Especially when stretched across two hours. The dialogue is a hit-and-miss.

An entertaining summer action movie. Just don't
    expect anything else from it. Expand
  7. Jan 5, 2014
    This was just a bad movie on so many levels, plot, characters, etc. Hugh Jackman was good and the only reason one would even want to torture themselves to see this garbage. I love the X-Men original movies, the comics, and the cartoon, but this movie ruined the franchise. The actors were really bad and such a silly ending, this movie needed better fight scenes, actors, and plot...fire the director! Expand
  8. Jan 5, 2014
    I'm a big Xmen fan, but I had it with Wolverine this and Wolverine that. although wolverine is one of my characters in the xmen franchise, I am sick of his story line, why not open up other origins of different xmen like first class did. despite this I still think it was good, but has to be the last movie about wolverine
  9. Jan 5, 2014
    I really enjoyed this movie and I'm not a great fan of X-men movies but I thought Hugh Jackman's protrayal was excellent this time round. A much more entertaining movie than Wolverine. The special effects were spectacular although the ending was a wee bit over the top.
  10. Jan 4, 2014
    I liked it, im sure it is very difficult to completely screw up a movie based on such an amazing character. We're are given wolverine in Japan. Sounds cool but for me it was pretty dull and not very interesting. I mean sure we have the wolverine kicking ass as usual but not as much as in wolverine origins and I thought the Asian dude in the robot suit looked way too cgi and everything else just didn't get me involved. Once again its a good movie but come on its the wolverine this should be amazing. Expand
  11. Jan 3, 2014
    X Men Origins Wolverine was funnier than this, but The Wolverine is still one of the most amusing movies of 2013.

No I'm not writing a review of a different movie in the wrong place The Wolverine suffers from being unintentionally funny, much like X Men Origins Wolverine.

The acting is half decent and respectable Hugh Jackman surprisingly giving the weakest performance, and the
    special effects top rate (but what do you expect it's an X Men movie). Those are the only fully positive things I have to say about The Wolverine, with the exception of it not being boring.

While they have good CGI and aren't filmed badly the action scenes are way too overblown and unrealistic to be taken seriously, which is a major problem because there are lots of them. Samurai ninja's appear at one point to kill The Wolverine. Why? Earlier in the movie they just got people with guns to kill Logan, why the sudden change? Oh that's right, because it's set in Japan! I'm not saying it's racist, I'm saying it's a totally reason to put samurai ninja's in the movie. Because nowadays superhero movies are aimed at 4 year olds there isn't a lot of plot, but the very small amount of it is also ridiculous and too unrealistic to take seriously, there is a giant robot samurai suit controlled by a dying old man. End of argument. As for the twist near the end, I didn't see it coming but it's still terrible.

Maybe I'm being too harsh on The Wolverine? Movies like The Rock, White House Down and Undercover Brother have had ridiculous plots and cliched scenes but I have still enjoyed them. That's because they are intentionally flawed and meant to be cheesy, The Wolverine tried and failed to be serious. Hugely disappointing.
  12. Dec 29, 2013
    It's badass, mutant, samurai movies like these that make me look back at Origins and laugh out loud at how got damn awful that film is.
    The Wolverine has gotten me pumped to see how good/or bad Days Of Future past will be, i CANT GODDMAN WAIT
  13. Dec 23, 2013
    Wow. This film gets so much right, but its biggest achievement is something that no super hero film has done before, whether it be Marvel or DC, is that it manages to stay true to the comics, while also entertaining causal film fans. Hell this film could entertain anybody, whether there action fans, drama fans any fan! It's a definitley risky for Marvel to try something like this, and they have pulled it of amazingly, but the real glue that holds this together is Jackman's preformance. Now we all know its always been good, but this time he takes it to a whole new level. He's dark, thematic, serious and engaging, with such good character development. It's a shame that some of the other character aren't as well developed. Despite this they are incredibly well acted. On par with the acting is the directing, which never feels out of place. Another spectacular feat it manages to accomplish is that it balances the substance and the action, nether letting one out way the other. But the one thing that ultimately kills this film for me is its extremely awful ending. Any fan will agree! It's anti-climactic, lazy, go's away from the comics and has some of the worst CGI I have ever seen! If only that ending wasn't here, I reckon think this film could of easily got a nine, maybe even a ten, but I can't forgive that ending. Expand
  14. Dec 18, 2013
    I really enjoyed all of the X-Men based movies, great fun, great stories and great action everything required for a few hours of popcorn escapism.
    Well The Wolverine takes all that, scrunchies it into a ball and chucks it in the bin.
    Nonsense from start to finish, more lazy incoherent writing from the mass-producing Hollywood clowns.
    It's all about the bucks and nothing to do with the
    audience, I mean do the producers and writers actually watch the tripe before they dish it out to the public?? On this evidence, I think not. Expand
  15. Dec 11, 2013
    Even though i really enjoyed this movie. Wolverine is one of those comics with 100s if not thousands of great story lines. Picking a good one out and turning into a screenplay should not be that difficult.
  16. Dec 8, 2013
    A very big surprise! The movie had a very good story. Setting was awesome! a lot of clever fight scenes.
    special effects were great as well. only problem is the movie falls apart in the last 10 mins. other then that! I highly recommend it!
  17. Dec 8, 2013
    I really liked the first part of the movie. I thought it could be easily a 7 out of 10, but the last part loses me a little bit. For some reason all these X-men movies become too cartoony towards the end. Don´t get me wrong, you´ll enjoy it. Some of the scenes and cinematography during the first part are great. It´s a different enough movie and I liked the story. But it could have been more.
  18. Dec 7, 2013
    This was an obvious stroke film for guys that like Asian women. And at what point did the Wolverine become an absolute weak that doesn't crush his opponents either through decapitation or through extreme bloody violence. This movie was an insult to the comic book series, and the studios need to stop now.
  19. Dec 6, 2013
    Look I hate bad movies, but this movie is hardly bad, it has some nice acting, it stays true to the comic and it has some great action scenes. Sure at times I felt Logan's pure hatred for life was kinda silly, but I also understood why he was in pain and couldn't let Gene go, that's one of the steps of grief....until he finds his new Japanese girlfriend and then that emotional part loses all of it's steam because he immediately lets Gene go, and then there's the Japanese archer whose story a arch is kinda broken, he's the bad guy, but he's not because of unfathomable reasons, his character was cool, but he needed a better back-story and his role needed serious tweaking. STILL, despite those dumb sub-plots, the films stays true to everything that makes the Wolverine character so great, admittedly this film isn't as great as the original trilogy but I still felt it was an enjoyable addition to the sub-X-men films, I won't guarantee you anything, but if you've liked the X-men films so far, you will probably like this one too. Expand
  20. Dec 6, 2013
    This is a decent movie. It had potential to truly be great in exploring the struggle for Logan to deal with immortality, but instead becomes a fun yet unfulfilling sequence of fighting with no real ending at all.
  21. Dec 5, 2013
    The Wolverine was much more enjoyable than what i thought it was going to be. Hugh Jackman is always great as wolverine, the Chinese storyline was unexpected, this movie actually tried something new. That one scene when Wolverine is on top of the train fighting a guy with a small knife was hilarious. The ending was good, i actually want to watch the next X-Men movie when it releases. Overall Score= 78/100 Expand
  22. N0X
    Dec 4, 2013
    Know nothing about the comic's but am an avid viewer of the franchise & movie buff. Love the character brought to life by Jackman but 3 things in this movie really annoyed me.
    1) Viper is worst villain ever and so damn annoying
    2) Gene your dead already bugger off....again so annoying
    3) Where the heck are his adamantium claws !!!!!!...the bone ones are so gay
  23. Dec 2, 2013
    Choosing the artful director James Mangold "Walk the Line" (2005) and "Knight and Day" (2010), certainly enjoys a much smoother journey to the big screen than its predecessor, "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" (2009). The movie adopts a new, visually appealing setting encouraging a change in tone for the heroic comic book character, with a script written by Scott Frank and Mark Bomback that contains themes of mortality, family, honor, and forgiveness. In "The Wolverine," Mangold, Frank, and Bomback introduce new layers to the popular, charismatic mutant with a tortured soul who is making his sixth "X-Men" franchise appearance.

It's a character driven plot that takes the Wolverine into new territory, both figuratively and literally. Logan (Hugh Jackman) is a wolf without a pack, in a self-imposed exile after the ruinous losses of 2006's "X-Men: The Last Stand." The movie takes place mostly in modern-day Japan, where Logan reconnects with a former soldier he shielded from the atom bomb dropped on Nagasaki in 1945.

Decades later, the immortal mutant is summoned to the side of the man he saved by Yukio (Rila Fukushima), an electric redhead with superior knife skills, and an ability to foresee the future. The dying Yashida (Hal Yamanouchi), now a billionaire, offers his savior the chance to lose his immortality, and to live a normal life span without his super-healing powers and incredible strength. Logan finds himself mixed up in the succession between Yashida and the Japanese mob, the Yakuza. The Yakuza is trying to assassinate his beautiful granddaughter Mariko (Tao Okamoto), and Logan chases her down cross-country to protect her from harm.

Drawing on the influence of Samurai films, the action is refreshingly tactile, with well-choreographed fight scenes and some genuinely impressive blockbuster set-pieces. The high point of the movie is the Tokyo bullet train sequence around the halfway mark, which provides some sorely needed thrills something which the final showdown fails to provide entirely. The third act is overloaded with CGI driven combat scenes which feels overly artificial given its character driven storyline. By the end of the movie however, nothing has really changed, and Wolverine is more or less the same superhero from two hours earlier. This is Jackman's show entirely, and he is as forceful and charismatic as ever. If only he had something more interesting to do here.
  24. Dec 2, 2013
    This movie was horrible! It was worse than X-Men Origins: The Wolverine! I can't imagine how people liked it! It was slow, boring & didn't even make sense. All the characters besides Wolverine were not memorable in the slightest. I was laughing out loud about how cheesy it was & my wife fell asleep. All these good reviews must be BS as this movie has no redeeming qualities outside of the X-Men: Days of Future Past preview during the credits. Expand
  25. Dec 2, 2013
    Honestly, I was both disappointed and pleasantly surprised by this movie.

This movie really gives Logan's character allot of depth and tackles a very interesting storyline from the comics. BUT, for a movie that's focus is around a mutant, it really seems to be lacking mutants. Granted there are some cool scenes closer to the end, but for a Marvel adaptation, it's rather weak.

Overall:
    The Wolverine is good in terms of its narrative, writing and overall performances by the central characters. But, for a Wolverine movie, one would expect more impressive action, and that is really it's main gripe. Character development is essential for any story, but you can not sacrifice what made the character popular in first place just for the sake of storytelling.

The Wolverine is a good movie, but don't go into it expecting it to be action packed.

Side Note:
    If Wolverine is to have a movie of his own, he needs to go up against worthy adversaries. Silver Samurai did look awesome but was barely in the movie. Viper was done well, yet she is such an obscure villain and would have better suited being a flunky Captain America villain. She really felt and looked out of place in this movie.
  26. Nov 29, 2013
    It escalates a ladder of success for two-thirds the entire movie mainly due to Hugh Jackman's terrific performance and its use of Japanese culture, then trips down on a puddle of sloppiness and lands flat.
  27. Nov 28, 2013
    Once again, the low score tweakers are out in force with unrealistic expectations. Nicely done way way better than I thought you could do with what is probably one of the weakest characters in the Marvel lineup. Why weak? Brooding violent guy who turns into a wolf-like creature and can never be killed? This film manages to use the weakness of the character into a strength (not a spoiler), which is pretty cool if you ask me. Best of the bunch so far. Not bad at all. Expand
  28. Nov 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's late, but I finally watched it in DVD. And I have to say the Wolverine is at most an above average adventure movie.

Hugh Jackman, as always, shows that he is the one to play Logan. Although the character in X-Men is always 2-dimensional archetypal anti-hero, at least here there is some room to flesh out his character. Unfortunately, they didn't give a lot of growth to the character. The essential theme to the film is living past regrets and pain, that the body may heal, but the mind doesn't. You get to see Wolverine trying to live past Jean Grey after X-Men 3 (and kudos to them bringing back Famke Janssen in an effort to internalise the struggle. And succeed they did!). It got him quite stuck in the grieving stage until he falls in love with Mariko Yashida. I can see where they are going with the love plot, and mostly they did an average job. It just needed more chemistry and polishing before I can believe this love story. And the coda to the film does get him past grief, but I hated Logan mentioning that "He is a soldier" and stuff. There is nothing holding him back from living with Mariko, no commitments to the X-Men (at least until the credits), and yet he chooses to live on in conflict. This isn't Batman where he has a purpose to the point of obsession, he is not tied to an altruistic cause.

The action sequences are quite well done. Lots of melee fighting, wire-fu, and good fight choreography. The people that are suppose to fight, can do so in a heart-pounding scene. However, I must stress that the green screen effects are not so impressive. This is true in the bullet train sequence. You just can't believe Logan is fighting people on a 300mph train, because the wind and the actors don't give that sort of impression. CGI is a slight cut above average. The SIlver Samurai's armor is monochromatically silver, making it easy to model, texture and light. But it just needed more polishing before it looks like an actual object in the physical world. Several times during the final fight, the CG almost fell into last-gen video game graphics territory.

I need to mention Yuriko, the red-haired woman. It's mentioned that she is a precog, trained in fighting. She demonstrates the latter very well, but the former is poorly conveyed. In a film, I do not like it when things are told to me, and not showed to me. The vision she had on Logan's "death" could have been shown to the audience using blurry/transition shots, and it would have been fine. As a character, she isn't quite deep; that goes to Mariko.

Ironically the plot of the film ends up revealed to me 10 minutes into the movie. Yashida basically told Logan that he is the villain when he proposed to transfer his healing factor to another person permanently. Given that he himself is dying, and the look on his eyes show that he is a man who gets what he wants, it is no big leap or surprise to me when the big reveal shows that he is the villain. Which is probably why after the 1st action sequence, the writers decided to pull a farce and artificially deepen the movie.

To me, complexity of the story should be reflected in depth and quality, not in the number of subplots you can juggle around with. It confuses people as to who the main players are in each subplot, and to recognise when it starts and concludes, and the magnitude of its conclusion to the main plot. Worse, given that every secondary character in this movie is 2-dimensional, superficial, and otherwise generic, it is hard to get invested. The entire Yashida clan was a nest of vipers after the "death" of the old man. There is a revenge subplot because of being left out in the will, there is the Yakuza, there is the venomous Dr., there is the ronin clan of ninjas who supposedly looks out for the Yashida clan even though they are actively hunting Mariko and Logan in a similar fashion to the Yakuza. Add Logan's grief, his loss of healing factor, and the romance, and you get a confusing web of plots that appear and disappear with no consequence. It just leaves me preoccupied with questions, instead of enjoying the film.

One of the plot holes in the film is apparent when Logan and Mariko do not call for help from the Yashida's even when they could at some points. Its explained in a reasonable attempt later on, and validates it ex post facto, but its not good if the actors appear to read ahead of the script and act as such.

The loss of healing factor plot to me is rivetting, as it finally shows vulnerability on Logan's side, but ultimately pointless in the grand arc. What's the point of making him vulnerable (and probably killed soon), if ultimately you need him alive to extract his healing factor, Mr Yashida? Oops, a plot hole?

In conclusion, the Wolverine is a film about Logan moving past the grieving stage. It showed a decent development for Logan in this regard, but the web of superfluous subplots makes it difficult to enjoy the film as it is. It would be better if they just keep it simple.
  29. Nov 24, 2013
    The movie was very flat, I love the films of mutants, but this only came in three, adding that the villain, Viber, was complete crap, devoid of personality second thought the movie was very regular, shooting bad.
  30. Nov 23, 2013
    For the most part it was sort of disappointing. The plot wasn't interesting at all. Having Jean Grey in it via hallucinations was so needless and pointless. The dialogue was just garbage and hurt by corny jokes that we have heard hundreds of times before. The action scenes are a massive miss as well. I think what saves and makes it worth watching is the mid-credits scene featuring the return of some very famous characters. Overall, It's better than Origins but no that big of a step up. Expand
  31. Nov 22, 2013
    Don't usually give things zeros since it is extreme but this is hands down one of the worst "big budget" movies I have ever seen. Horrible acting, writing, everything. The reason this film was made is because they have to make XMen movies every "X" amount of years to maintain the rights. I literally laughed out lout a few times the movie is THAT bad. I have a hard time believing any of the positive reviews aren't a joke. Expand
  32. Nov 14, 2013
    A decent effort and far superior to its predecessor. The third acts seems a little too much like a different film and loses the audience in special effects rather winning with plot.
  33. Nov 12, 2013
    For first time a movie that isn't centered around mutants and their problems. With awesome window throw and nuke scene this movie is rather dull and slow paced and didn't met my expectations but isn't that bad ether.
  34. Nov 10, 2013
    At first, I wasn't too intimidated to see "The Wolverine" but I thought, why not give it a go? And it turns out that it was quite worth it. You know the scene where the Wolverine and another guy fights on the train, I thought that that was gonna be really cheesy. But no. That was one of the best fight scenes in the whole movie.
  35. Nov 7, 2013
    Well the movie reminded me of a 80's cheesy film. Jackman did a good job with his acting, but everything else was cheesy, predictable, and some what boring. I mean Ninjas on motorbikes on top of the roofs and on a snowy ice cover roof at that, then flying around, I mean it was stupid really.
    The bad guy (girl) was a typical Hollywood garbage we seen a million times, ya know talks slow and
    sarcastic and the producer tries to wedge in sexiness into the way they act and talk, yawn, yeah we seen this before and it is pathetic and getting tiresome.
    Not to mention the anti-hunter thing in the beginning of the movie, typical left wing BS portraying hunters as all a bunch of idiots and of course the animals life is more important that a persons life. Pathetic and sick.
    Hollywood pumps out more propaganda and garbage any more, and this is just another one of those kind of movies.
  36. Nov 7, 2013
    As a big fan of the original X-Men Trilogy, I must say "the Wolverine" disappointed me in most of its points. Seeing Wolverine back in action after the events of X3 sure was satisfying, but the overall movie had a lack of character, proper design, solid structure, and most of all a lack of mutants.
  37. Oct 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. hugh jackman at the top of his game better than origins but not as good as the x2 or 1st class this character driven movie makes wolverine seem like the most badass and powerful superhero
    stay after the credits
  38. Oct 10, 2013
    Wolverine goes to Japan so you expect impressive, skilful fights with ninjas and yakuza, right? Unfortunately this isn't what you get. The story has many problems and the battles of the third act are disappointing. However, Jackman's performance, the idea of Wolverine becoming vulnerable and his relationship with a Japanese woman prevent this movie from being forgettable.
    argonautis.eu
  39. Sep 26, 2013
    Wow 6/10, really metacritic? Simply put, this movie is worth watching on the big screen. It barely makes mistakes and is just awesome to watch wolverine rip some up on a suit. Excellent movie.
  40. Sep 25, 2013
    Embarrassingly awful. I cringed throughout the whole thing. I so wanted it to be good. Bad acting and stale plot. The whole just felt incredibly done before.
  41. Sep 22, 2013
    The Wolverine keeps you on the edge of your seat for nearly every second of the film. After an atomic set of dream sequences where Logan witnesses the bombing of Nagasaki in World War Two, we find Logan living in the forest, in what is wrongly identified as “present-day Alaska” by New York Times critic A.O Scott. It is clearly the Yukon Canada, as identified by The Yukon Sportsman’s Paradise sign in an early scene. Having abandoned his life as a crime fighter, it doesn’t take long before the action starts, and Logan gets drawn back into his old kick-ass ways.

Very early the film departs North America for Japan, and stays there for the rest of the time. The sets designs are spectacular, the photography obviously expensive and flawless. Shots of everything Japanese give the film an exotic flare, which then of course allows for every single character to be a martial arts expert. The fights scenes are visibly momentous, the special effects outstanding.

There are some gut-wrenching flaws though that are hard to stomach amidst the film’s greatness: Logan and his side-kick Yukio are both highlighted riding motorcycles through the snow in the middle of Japanese winter; the sexy Viper villain has no discernable point as a character, neither do her costumes; the scene from the trailer where Logan is standing smoking his trademark cigar disappointingly does not appear in the film.

Yet the overarching theme dealing with Logan’s angst causing immortality is interesting enough to easily redeem the film. Wolverine doesn’t save the world here, but he fights to protect the life of one woman, and ends up fighting just to save his own.
  42. Sep 22, 2013
    I wish there was a way for users to delete reviews. I thought this was a good film but I want to delete the review under this profile, and so I write 150 words.
  43. Sep 21, 2013
    No estaba muy seguro si deseaba volver a ver a Jackman como Wolverine y pensaba que la historia que vivimos con X-Men Origin: Wolverine iba a repetirse. Pero me equivoqué; está en mi opinión ha sido una de las películas perteneciente a la franquicia de X-Men más sólida que haya visto. Empezando porque el director imponen un estilo diferente y con mucha credibilidad. Fue sumamente interesante, el ver como Logan realmente no puede separarse de su instinto animal y agresivo (Wolverine). Que con mucha ironía lo usa para hacer el bien y no el mal. El sentir a nuestro héroe experimentar una pisca de la mortalidad, fue lo que lo hiso más impresionante que nunca. Pero haciendo un paréntesis si hubo algo que me pareció molestoso y que no funcionó fue el personaje de Viper. No obstante la película es lo suficientemente buena como para opacar este hecho. Es claro que en el último y tercer acto la vibra en el ambiente de esta cinta cinematográfica cambia un poco -reconociendo que fue necesario- para recordarnos que estamos viendo una película de X-Men y no otra cosa. Expand
  44. Sep 21, 2013
    No fun! Few actions scenes, almost boring.
    The begining is fine but the rest of the movie is practically horrible and ridiculous. A big waste of money!!!
  45. Sep 16, 2013
    Definitely worth a watch! This film caught me by surprise as i had no interest in it at all going in. Tons of Wolvie, Ninja action. Comic fans may be a little disappointed with the direction taken with certain characters but the film was still very good.
  46. Sep 10, 2013
    [5.8] This movie is almost enjoyable, it just doesn't seem like an X-Men movie, even if most X-Men movies aren't the strongest. Its plot is clearly its weak point, not only because of a sub-par script, but it just doesn't make sense as an X-Men movie. The dialogue isn't always bad, but it's clearly recycled. Easily forgettable, and only worth watching if you care about X-Men that much.
  47. Sep 9, 2013
    the wolverine..honestly i had no high expectations from James Mangold..but i gotta say dis..he actually proved me wrong..the wolverine is a worthy watch, its more drama than action..which is a good thing in a way..because it helps in character development in the eyes of the audience, which is what the wolverine delivers.
  48. Sep 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Hugh Jackman finally got the lead in his own movie! After being associated with X-Men Origins and more, The Wolverine delivered the entertainment value we hoped for in this film.

The movie trails Logan (Hugh Jackman) and his journey to Japan to be thanked by Yashida, (Hal Yamanouchi) who Logan saved as a young soldier. Yashida was very sick and wanted Logan's power of immortality so he can be healthy again. We see Yashida die, and learn that his company has been left to Yashida's granddaughter, Mariko (Tao Okamoto) and not his corrupt son. She becomes the new owner Yashida Technology and her life is immediately in danger as the others try to kill her and take over the company.

Meanwhile, Viper (Svetlana Khodchenkova) kisses Wolverine in what seems to be an unrelated scene. Wolverine gets injured and doesn’t heal. Logan and the audience begin to uncover the plot to steal Logan’s powers. We learn that Viper passed Wolverine a spider in the kiss which now lives on his heart and neutralizes his powers, making him vulnerable. We follow Logan through his attempt to retrieve his power and save Yashida's granddaughter, Mariko.

Between the amazing (mostly CGI (computer-generated imagery)) fight scenes, and the quality of the cast's acting, I really enjoyed the film. There was a great fight scene in the film, (also featured in the trailer) on the top of a bullet train. Logan's bone claws dug into the train to keep his position. When he would take them out to dodge objects or fight, he would lose contact with the train which was traveling below him at 300MPH. He would then literally fly above the train. It thought that was a truly amazing effect.

What I didn't like was the flaw in Logan's vulnerability. After counting four gunshots to the chest, and a knife to the elbow, Logan still managed to fight and get around as if he still had his regular abilities. He didn’t even seem to worry about the wounds for a whole day, which made that period of the movie feel fake to me. I also am not sure what it is with Hugh and his shirt off. Seriously, 40% of his screen time is spent shirtless. It got to a point where the 44 year old man should have just put a shirt on. Also, there are a few shaky camera scenes when Logan is running and the camera is following him. I know it is supposed to add a level of intensity to the film, but it’s not intense when you start to get dizzy. The dizziness occurred at least twice, during my viewing of the film. Despite the few things I didn't like about The Wolverine, I mostly enjoyed it and was entertained. After hearing about the amazing spoiler in the credits, I stayed after everyone else in the theater left to see what it was all about. If you do not want to hear about this scene, I recommend you ignore the rest of the review.

It is two years later and Logan is going through airport security. The x-ray is beeping like crazy and metal objects near him are floating. He quickly turns around to find Magneto behind him in line. As they are talking, time stops except for the two of them, Professor Xavier rolls up near them. He looked almost too perfect and produced from CGI (computer-generated imagery). As in the first X-Men Wolverine, Xavier says the same sentence. “It’s as I told you when we first met, Logan, you're not the only one with special gifts." This to me was the first reveal of the future 2014 X-Men movie, Days Of Future Past.
  49. Sep 5, 2013
    I'd say mediocre. Stereotyped story events, not innovative, not so violent like i would expect from Wolverine background.
    A mutant villain with no purpose that finds a difficult spot in the plot, a mutant ally with a nonsense power, and a giant robot just because, maybe due to the Japanese background.
    The beginning IMHO was good, but after just Hugh Jackman as Wolverine saved a bit the movie.
  50. Sep 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Not a bad movie, but not great either. It was a fun summer movie that had it's share of action, but also it's share of holes. I was a big fan of Wolverine growing up, but in the movies he's something less. He's supposed to be very old, and one of the best melee fighters, but he is constantly getting his butt kicked by practically every other melee fighter that he comes up against. He's been around a long time, you would think he has learned a few languages by this time, and become a bit more cultured, at least in knowing about the ways of other people. He still looks/acts like a barbarian in many ways, which I understand to be part of his character, but he's also potentially hundreds of years old and has had to have had a lot of different experiences and exposure to worldly ways. He was obviously in Japan many years ago, you would think he picked up a few tricks. I understand that he's supposed to be a wild badass, but why not give him some culture mixed in. It would have been awesome if he surprised them all and actually knew how to speak Japanese and more about their culture to give him some more depth, and ass a bit of mystery, to show he is not just a one dimensional thug. He's also very stealthy and ninja like in the comics, but in the movies he runs in without looking or thinking, no stealth at all. Among other plot holes and questionable scenes, I didn't get the backstory about the Viper and why she served Yashida? Overall a bit slow, and boring at times, but there was some good acting by Hugh Jackman, and some of the fight scenes were fun, but the story and script was flat. Expand
  51. Sep 1, 2013
    An exhilarating superhero flick that improves over its previous lackluster installment. The Wolverine stays faithful to its source material and does what the previous Wolverine film failed to do, which is display an immense amount of heart and pay close attention to characterization.
  52. Aug 28, 2013
    As expected this was a great addition to the X-Men series that focuses on just Wolverine, and it was an improvement on the first solo Wolverine film. It's a little more serious and less corny than previous installments which is a very good thing, and has a few twists & turns in there as well as plenty of Action. Jackman once again proves that he was the right choice for this character as he has delivered every time he portrays him. Overall great stuff, and stick around during the credits! Expand
  53. Aug 28, 2013
    Es una película de mutantes con pocos mutantes, sigo pensando que no logran atinar con la personalidad del Wolverine de las comics, las escenas de acción le dan un pequeño respiro a la película pero son muy cortas.
  54. Aug 27, 2013
    I always feel that movies set in Japan are automatically at an advantage because of the inherent beauty and tradition that comes with the country which is why The Wolverine is such a colossal disappointment. When Logan (Hugh Jackman) saves a Japanese man's life in Hiroshima in 1945 he sets off chain reaction that brings about death and destruction in the present when Wolverine is summoned by the man so that he can say his goodbyes. While Jackman is a talented performer, The Wolverine is beyond saving as it is derivative, predictable and most of all, its boring. Working off a horrendous script by writers Mark Bomback and Scott Frank, director James Mangold shows a talent behind the camera for the action in the film with a high speed chase on a bullet train being a breathtaking piece of cinema but he fails to display emotion or evoke character out of his wooden performers. It's not entirely his fault, the acting is dire with both female leads dragging the film down. The constant references to X-Men: The Last Stand and the presence of Famke Janssen's Jean Grey reminds viewers of the nonsensical mess of a film that was, which should make The Wolverine look stellar by comparison but it only really makes you long for the days of Bryan Singers X films. While the film does try to fix the character of Logan, ridding him of some of his grief and shame, it just feels like a stop gap before Jackman is set to appear in the following X film, Days of Future Past. Ultimately its a feature that doesn't live up to its potential and makes light of its own story of redemption by having Logan murder countless numbers of people as if for sport making the whole movie a waste of anyone's precious time. Expand
  55. Aug 26, 2013
    If you like martial arts you might want to check out the new WOLVERINE movie. I don’t know why they call the movie “WOLVERINE” cuz Hugh Jackman has nothing to do with any of the plot of characters until the last 10 minutes of the movie if you exclude the brief yet passionless encounter between Jackman and a young woman. But the Wolverine does make an interesting ally for the movie’s warring gang factions. I suppose the producer also needed a ‘superstar’ to pander his Kung Fu movie since Hugh Jackman is the only white guy along with some toxic blond who struts around in Jimmy Chu’s and spends most of the movie deep throating her venomous forked tongue into unsuspecting male admirers. Again, why this character is in the movie, makes no sense other than erotic and to push the envelope of the R rating. This having been said, the movie was only okay because the ‘flow’ (I use the term loosely) is constantly interrupted by the need for another martial arts battle. It got boring for me after like the 10th battle and each battle goes on for a while.The giant metal samurai battle at the end was laughable, sorry. Its probably me and I don’t mean to sound jaded (no pun intended) but after having seen Crouching Tiger nothing really impresses me in this arena. If you’re going to do a 2 hr. martial arts movie you had better have awesome dialogue and impressive plot/characters.With the exception of Wolverine this had neither. So going full circle, this is why the movie is called WOLVERINE. But don’t be disheartened X-Men fans. There was an interesting ‘teaser’ at the end with Magneto and Xavier which shows promise for the NEXT X-Men Wolverine release. On the upside PIXAR and DISNEY have a slew of new releases coming out in genuine ADHD guaranteed to keep the little tikes bouncing off the wall way past their bedtime. Expand
  56. Aug 26, 2013
    Disappointed.
    That's how I felt after watching this movie. While the trailer makes this look fantastic, and it does follow the comics pretty well, the way this movie was put together just... it didn't look or feel right.

Acting was subpar for such a big movie and they definitely could have cast better in my opinion Hugh Jackman of course continues to do an excellent job portraying
    Wolverine, but everyone else just seemed so... fake. And bland. And downright terrible in some scenes.

Not as much action as I expected either, and yes there is barely any blood in this movie. Plus certain sequences were very very questionable in that some actions by the character just didn't make any sense (aka it felt forced and unnatural/illogical to advance the story in a certain way).

Locations and sets are nice, and special effects while limited are still done well enough as per the usual with Marvel movies. There are some funny moments with the usual Logan one-liners and a handful of good dialogue, but for the most part I was unimpressed by the writing.

Wait for the DVD/online stream or whatever you use for your non-theater movie-watching if you really want to see this.
  57. Aug 25, 2013
    With this much superhero moviesne life wolverine had to be different and it deliverd. It is a refreshment in this genre It doesn`t pretend to be a part of a bigger story insted it`s a stand alone movie about events in wolverine`s life. Action sequences a great and the movie fun.
  58. Aug 25, 2013
    all horrible

too many Marvel Comics
    I don't like superheroes
  59. Aug 24, 2013
    Hugh Jackman proves to be capable as his usual, sardonic Logan. If only the movie was a little more comprehensible. Some plot holes were obvious. I still enjoyed it.
  60. Aug 21, 2013
    Plot was well pieced together start to finish. Stayed true to comics enough. Action was good and fun although the train scene was a little "unrealistic" to say the least but overall good action.
  61. Aug 20, 2013
    Yet another money grabbing film from the X-Men universe. The Wolverine is a terrible film, I'm even tempted to say that it was worse than X-Men Last Stand. The Wolverine which is essentially a two hour waste of time to see a post credit scene that lasts around 30 seconds to set up "Days of Future Past".

The Wolverine is another attempt to give Wolverine a decent stand alone film. Both
    times, frankly, have failed miserably. Wolverine is given a pointless and c***py assistant, who's part in the film is just a waste of time. Despite all of the rubbish that happens, the plot which is just stupid.

I did enjoy seeing the darker, angrier Wolverine from the comics coming alive, in this film. But that is the only good thing about this film, and it is only really seen for about 20 minutes, if that.
  62. Aug 19, 2013
    "The Wolverine" is way better than it's predecessor. At this moment we can definitely say that Hugh Jackman one of the best action film actor in US(The Rock isn't even near), he did amazing job in this one. The movie did everything right, except for one villain, great pacing & action, ok story. So, it's one of the best action of 2013
  63. Aug 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was an incredible disappointment. Corny, campy, unrealistic (yes, even for a sci-fi movie) in terms of both plot, character, action sequences, etc. The costume for the female antagonist was terrible. Like a costume out of the 80's. Oh, and Ninjas.. Lots of corn-ball, 1980's ninjas running around and doing unnecessary flips. There are too many stupid little things to mention. A stupid little movie. The acting was OK, and Hugh Jackman was fantastic as always.. but terrible plot really. This movie is actually a 3, but there are a lot of BS reviews of this movie, I think by some paid company and they need to be offset. This movie should NOT be green. It should be Mixed/Orange. Expand
  64. Aug 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Wolverine is the newest X-men film to hit cinemas this year. I am genuinely surprised that this film was only given a 6.9 by users as it was incredibly enjoyable. I felt my self on the edge of the seat constantly. That one scene where wolverine rips a parasite out of his heart had me shaking for the next 10 minutes of the film. I walked out of that cinema debating the film's age rating. The UK rating is 12A so I was permitted to see it. However it was in my opinion borderline 15 and I was a little shocked as I expected a typical superhero movie (guns, explosions) and I was handed a plateful of gore! But you know what? That was what I liked. I like a film that I can watch without getting scared but just staring at all the blood and saying 'awesome!!!!'. All in all, I really enjoyed 'The Wolverine' and I am truly glad that it wasn't rated a 15!!! Expand
  65. Aug 16, 2013
    The movie is worst movie i ever watched.Half of people in cinema were sleeping,only
    the dump looked people were enjoying and i felt that they need therapy session.
    The Archer changing sides than baby dippers don't know what the hell is he doing.
    Hugh Jackman is always perfect and he did his best but this movie is horrible as dark knight
    rises where batman doing fist fight.First thing
    is how Japanese captured Wolverine.Who can ran away from Atom bomb while its falling.
    May be flash can do but certainly no human.Movie also so predictable and first glance i knew Yashida
    is the Silver Samurai.Why they delayed till last to extract Wolverine's powers they could have easily done
    it in first place.My advice is don't watch this in 3D because hardly any 3D in it and 3D wise similar
    to iron man 3,rent in a rent box if you have nothing to do with your money.To writers only one message stick
    with comic books unless you are good as JJ Abrams or Dennis Lehane.
  66. Aug 16, 2013
    I was hoping for something a little more special, but what you get is solid. Hugh Jackman is great as Wolverine like always and I can't wait to see him more in the future. B
  67. Aug 14, 2013
    La pelicula no es muy buena pero...es entretenida hasta eso, solo que senti un poco enredada y forzada la trama de wolverine lidiando con su pasado y bueno que mas puedo decir..para una renta esta bien..
  68. Aug 12, 2013
    I love this movie not that I am a huge fan of the comics but jus how they directed the movie to be dark and gritty like most other movies these days, but in the same way ceeps it cind of realistic of how Wolverine manges the loses he had to enure and the many wars he has fought through out his many years on this earth. I deffinetly recommend this movie for every one that likes a good action movie or superhero movie. Expand
  69. Aug 12, 2013
    In a way it's a movie kind of frustrating, because when I watch expected nothing and got kind of frustrated because the film begins in a manner so interesting, humanizing the character to be worthy of becoming a pity that I began to think it would be one of my biggest surprises of the year, I was wrong, by the end of the film convinces and excites us, from there it becomes a disappointment, because the end is stupid and almost takes all the fun out of the rest, but acceptable near the predecessor with another Hugh Jacman time putting on a show. Expand
  70. Aug 12, 2013
    Unlike 'Origins', 'The Wolverine' offers a feistier and much more complex protagonist, and director James Mangold brings an abundant of energy, which was massively lacking in Wolverine's previous outing. Although the story stumbles occasionally and the best scene is mid-credit, 'The Wolverine' is still a decent watch.
  71. Aug 12, 2013
    The best superhero movies are the ones where they can capture actions only those characters can pull off... Spidey swinging, Superman saving a plane, hulk smashing things.... Wolverine does that with the character to a degree. Unfortunately it does the same couple moves over and over. Expect a lot of last minute saves before being knocked off the edge. Other than that the action is the best reason to see this movie. The story is so-so. There are some truly head scratching moments, and the repetition of Jean Grey is kind of like the repetitive fights in that eventually one says "I get it already." It's certainly much better than the first one, but not one of the shining stars of Marvel movies.

It is also not a kids movie, at least not little kids. Jackman again shows his bare bottom, there are a couple instances of language and there is a lot of people getting killed (no blood though). Certainly not as PG as Avengers, but it's not meant to be,
  72. Aug 11, 2013
    For sure, it's a lot better than X-Men Origins, but it's not exactly the best superhero movie ever made. Director James Mangold knows what he's doing this time around and does it to the best of his abilities. Overall, it's the Wolverine movie people have been expecting. Be sure to check out my YouTube channel "TheMovieManLife" for all things movies.
  73. Aug 11, 2013
    Wolverine is a great movie. It wasn't the same kind of blockbuster as other superhero movies, but it seemed to have more of a humanity to it. Wolverine had more time to develop as a character than in origins. My only complaint was that it tended to not dwell on mutants as much, but I suppose it was perfectly fine without other mutants. Wolverine is definitely worth watching.
  74. Aug 10, 2013
    This review was published on www.Pixcelation.com by Andrew Korkmas.

The only way to start this review off is to say the following: I was pumped for “The Wolverine.” I like Japanese culture and I like seeing Hugh Jackman beat the bejesus out of people. I thought that these two things were a recipe for success. What I didn’t suspect was that despite the movie’s reverence to Japanese
    culture and indeed footage of Hugh Jackman taking out baddies, “The Wolverine” would ultimately fall in mediocre category.

The story follows the titular character’s chronicles in Japan. It starts as a simple visit to a dying friend and turns into preventing assassination plots on the young granddaughter of said friend faster than you can say “Psylocke” (a character who is not present in the movie. Sorry fans). The plot might’ve been interesting had either one of two things not happened: 1. The trailers spoiled far too much of it. And 2. It didn’t move at a normal pace. Yes “The Wolverine” now joins “Man of Steel” in the sluggish sloth story department. And like my viewing of “Man of Steel,” I almost fell asleep several times during the movie. If you haven’t seen the trailers then there might be some plot elements that keep you entertained but otherwise you’ll likely be checking your watch thinking to yourself “OK so, how much longer do I have to wait till someone gets stabbed?”

For the most part, the acting all around is fairly uninteresting. Hugh Jackman does fine but everyone else doesn’t seem to put forth much of an emotional effort. None of the acting struck me as bad but nothing came close to impressing either. Though seeing as this is an action movie perhaps very few really care about this so let’s move on to the good stuff.

The action goes from interesting to tiresome depending on the scene. The bullet train battle was lively and creative (to a point) while the first action scene (a shoot out and chase sequence) was pretty forgettable. This problem is only worsened by, at times, some truly terrible cinematography. In said forgettable shoot out and chase sequence, the cameraman seemed to have taken a couple of Red Bulls because the camera bobs around incessantly for seemingly no reason and many shots are done so close to the action that it only obscures the fighting. Even in the more entertaining fights the camerawork never seems to do anything remotely spectacular.

One thing that many of the good “X-Men” movies have done is give a plethora of mutants with kick-ass powers. Unfortunately, “The Wolverine” seems to be in short supply of mutants and even the ones they offer are pretty forgettable. The Silver Samurai does show up for the last fight (as a robo-suit of sorts) and the fight is somewhat entertaining so at least there’s that.

I suppose I’ll end this review by saying the following: despite the fact that almost every poster of the movie features Wolverine wielding a katana, he does not ever use a katana save for a single moment right near the end. I don’t consider spoilers so much as preparing the viewer lest they receive the colossal let down that I did. But in the end, I found that I just didn’t care about the movie. It’s not really good and it’s not really bad either. I’ve only seen it once and don’t really plan to see it again. You could do much worse than seeing “The Wolverine” in theatres just as you could do much better in seeing another movie like “Pacific Rim.”

“The Wolverine” gets a 5/10.
  75. Aug 10, 2013
    I was expecting a lot from The wolverine. This movie is totally disappointing. The story was not up to the mark. Moreover, there were lots of other villains that can be chosen. Overall it was boring too.
  76. Aug 10, 2013
    This movie is bad, plain and simple. Better than "Wolverine:Origins", but that's not saying much. The story is completely irrelevant and flat. The villains are generic and uninspired. The romance plot is forced and unbelievable. The stakes and character development are non-existent. The action is dry, shaky, bloodless and cartoonish. I feel bad for Hugh Jackman for once again not getting the script that he deserves. Expand
  77. Aug 10, 2013
    Oh boy, where do I begin? Let's start by saying that The Wolverine is comprised of 75% boring filler; the entire movie could have been done in 30 minutes and would have probably turned out better too. Honestly, I couldn't wait for it to be over! It didn't look or feel like an X-Men movie at all. There was only 2.5 mutants in the entire movie. Two and a half because one of them just had completely lame powers. At first I thought it might be neat to have a Japanese setting. I was ultimately wrong, as the movie quickly turned into crouch-rockets and samurai swords. The dialogue was boring, and the Japanese accents eventually made Hugh Jackman look completely out of place. The action parts were good, but it's nothing you haven't already seen. The plot seems like it was chosen out of a hat. The story starts off good, but it gradually gets worse the entire movie. The movie just felt very tired. Overall, I give The Wolverine 3/10. It just didn't deliver and felt like a pointless part of the series. How anyone could give this movie a positive review is beyond me. Expand
  78. Aug 8, 2013
    The Wolverine is a great film the people who think that Origins was better have no idea what the whole x-men universe is This films delivers what wolverine fans always wanted to see the japan saga Sure ..it can't stay true 100% to the comic but you have to adapt the story change it so that it can make sense. People don't get that comics are different from movies For me The Wolverine had great story great characters, great action ...it's different from the other x-men movies and that is why i enjoyed it so much it's fresh we get to see the character of Wolverine vulnerable and at it's lowest point Hugh Jackman did a wonderful job thank you people can say bad things about the movie ..but the true fans will appreciate it Expand
  79. Aug 7, 2013
    Here is my video review for the film

Short Conclusion:
    Those who are not easily satisfied may not enjoy this film. But I think those looking for a good time, a few laughs and some great action scenes will enjoy it. The Wolverine has been universally acknowledged as an improvement on X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Rotten Tomatoes gave it 68% and
    IGN gave it 8.5 but I’m going to side with seasoned film critics here and give it a 7/10. Expand
  80. Aug 7, 2013
    5 points out of the 7 I have given the movie is solely attributable to Hugh Jackman's portrayal of Wolverine. I think he does a great job of capturing the internally conflicted and raging character of Logan. Showing both his strong and weak sides. The cinematography and capturing of the scenes in the various settings are also quite well done. Tao Okamoto is beautiful and she does a decent job portraying Mariko and the connection she has with Wolverine.

The movie lacks the existence of a strong villain and other mutants but corresponds decently by weakening Wolverine for a majority of the film. The story is somewhat predictable and the action was done quite well. What was missing from this movie was simply a degree of 'Wow' that made me get out of my seat. Perhaps a stronger Villain or the choice of a better Wolverine sidestory would have made this better....
  81. Aug 6, 2013
    Overall not a bad film. Action was very good and Jackman as always does a fantastic job as Wolverine. The story just didn't hit it on all fronts. I felt that they are utilizing characters that are not as well known. My issue is that there is so much material to draw from I am not sure why they are choosing to highlight lesser known stories and mutants. And on that front there really weren't any mutants besides wolverine. In the previous films they made the mistake on trying to get in too many mutants. Now they just went in the opposite direction and essentially included none. Again the movie isn't bad by any means. I just know that x-men movies can be a lot better. Expand
  82. Aug 5, 2013
    I like the "X-men" films but not to the amount of an Avengers arc film(Iron Man, Captain America, Thor etc) so I give this movie some slack. I enjoyed the fight scenes very much except for the fact that he wasn't fighting mutants in this film, which I expected, but I really think that with the amount of time they used in this film(126 minutes) they could've made a way more decent film. The plot isn't that spectacular, but I guess since they're building up for the new X-men feature "Days of Future Past" they can't really give you anything great to work with since Wolverine has always been the main character in all the X-men films except "First-Class." I'd consider buying this on DVD, not a bad film. Expand
  83. Aug 5, 2013
    "The Wolverine" proves itself to be a highly engaging thriller as far as this summer's line-up of films. If you loathed the previous origin film, you owe it to yourself to see this revival of the awesomeness that is the Wolverine.
  84. Aug 5, 2013
    I liked The Wolverine, I think it's my 2nd favorite out of every movie in the XMEN universe so far (first being First Class) but this isn't saying too much. There really hasn't been a truly great film in the XMEN universe yet, closest they've gotten is First class and X2. It was an improvement over The last Wolverine film (Origins). It had a good amount of action, a decent plot and Hugh Jackmans witty humor again, I guess you can't ask for much more from a film like this. It was a fun movie to watch for sure, just don't expect a perfect film but you'd honestly be a fool to expect that. 5.5/10 Expand
  85. Aug 5, 2013
    I love the wolverine comics and this movie, sad but true, it is far too bad to share the same name of the franchise. Bad direction, bad script, a lot of no senses.... This movie made Die Hard 5 looks good
  86. Aug 5, 2013
    Totally awesome, kick ass fight scenes, mature story, as well as questionable logic. (Spoiler) 'I thought adamantium was supposed to be unbreakable?' I kept saying to myself. It wasn't a perfect movie, but I'm glad it was made, if only to show that Wolverine can make a good stand alone movie character. They followed the comics well, tied in something I've known about for sometime and even managed to make it so a sequel can, but doesn't have to be made. 4.5 out of 5 stars for me. Expand
  87. Aug 4, 2013
    To my surprise this film is quite good. Largely because it focuses on story with well timed and poignant dialog. The use of action sequences and the superhero elements as support instead makes for a very entertaining movie.
  88. Aug 3, 2013
    Was a decent movie until the horrible final scene that steal all sense to the plot....a lot of things at the end doesn't have a logic; also the action sequences were so bad made (I can't believe that awful battle on the roof of a train...) exept one; Wolverine vs Silver Samurai was one of the better superhero duel ever seen in my opinion (even still so far respect on Superman vs Zod or Hulk vs Abomination).
    At least better than "X-men origins: Wolverine", but Jackman should be used in a better movie...
  89. Aug 3, 2013
    the wolverine is none more than a mediocre movie for me, I am a big fan of x man movies and comics in general, when I came to wolverine I was hyped, and in the end after the end of the movie I had a feeling that all of this movie had one purpose, and that purpose is to promote x men days of future past. this movie doesn't got connection to anything, the only character that there is actually in the comics and in the movies is wolverine and gin as flashbacks. ok lets talk about the ending after the credits. you see Logan two years after the events of the movie with magneto and Xavier and they are saying they need is help, and then I understood the all purpose of this movie promoting x men days of future past. but really this all movie is about protecting a Japanese girl that Logan never heard about. and also in this movie there is more romance than action. I didn't spent my money on a romance movie, well I did but I didn't knew it yet. I am not saying this movie is bad but I am not saying its a good movie either. if you want to go to this movie because you are a x men fan so just don't. but if you want to go to this movie because you want to just see a movie that has connection to nothing and you just want to have fun I am highly recommending it actually. but I think that most of the people that are going to this movie going because they are x men fan. Expand
  90. Aug 3, 2013
    I kid you not the absolute best part of this movie is after the credits has rolled and Marvel gives its fans a glimpse of the next X-men. THANK YOU FOR THE HOPE!!! I had to clap for that after credits clip.

So, let me dive straight into this review and sum this movie up in a way that HOPEFULLY everyone can relate to. Ok, you know how Fast and Furious's first two movies were excellent
    and you couldn't wait to see the next installment? Then you went to the theaters to see part 3 and you left the theatre with a question mark over your head thinking "what the hell did I just watch? What point was this movie trying to make? What the hell did this movie do to add to the Fast and Furious story? And why the hell are we in Tokyo!!??"

These are the same exact questions you will wonder after finishing The Wolverine.... And yes, just like Tokyo drift Marvel sends us to Japan to brush up on Japanese traditions and learn how not to insult residents.

To sum up, this movie is just pointless... Pointless plot, pointless villains and pointless protagonist. All equaling a pointless movie. Yesssss I understand the point was to show how Wolverine gets over Jean. But did we really need to see this whole movie in order to arrive to that point?
  91. Aug 2, 2013
    I came out of this movie feeling about the same as I did with Wolverine Origins. There are plenty of parts that they could have just left out, and it was just slow enough toward the middle to make me yawn a few times, but it did keep me just interested enough to not feel like my time was being wasted. I'd recommend this as a rental/netflix, and I probably wouldn't bother to watch it again myself, but I didn't feel cheated of my money, either. Not great, but it definitely could have been worse. Expand
  92. Aug 1, 2013
    After the disappointment of X-Men 3 and X-Men Origins: Wolverine, the series basically had nowhere to go but up. And after this, I would go ahead and say the series has redeemed itself. Continuing the quality created X-Men: First Class, The Wolverine is a simply great movie, and it portrays the character in the way we've always wanted to see him. A great plot, memorable characters, intense action scenes, and an immensely surprising scene during the credits leave you not only incredibly satisfied with the flick, but even more excited for the upcoming X-Men: Days of Future Past. If you are an X-Men fan, or a Marvel fan in general, defiantly check out this movie. Expand
  93. Aug 1, 2013
    The wolverine is a really good movie not the best movie ever but a seriously good movie. It is a really solid action movie and its got great scenes filmed well and the story is pretty solid yet simplistic. It is one of the best xmen related movies yet better than xmen origins wolverine and the other 3 but falling just low of first class. Watch it if you can and also a really good reveal for the next xmen movie after the credits so stay for that. Expand
  94. Aug 1, 2013
    Hugh Jackman returns as the (often shirtless) comic book mutant. He goes to Japan, where he gets embroiled in a ridiculously convoluted plot with a bunch of villains. There's one decent action sequence (on a train), but the rest are shot in a blur and edited in a confusing frenzy. Meanwhile, the pace is demolished by a lot of gnashing of teeth (literally) and drama (the usual inner demons). I was embarrassed for Jackman because this is so lamely written and poorly constructed. NOTE: Stay thru the early credits for a teaser with 2 cameos. Expand
  95. Jul 31, 2013
    "The wolverine" proves to be the best at what he does.Hugh Jackman is best suited actor for this role and Yukio's character is one of the film's main highlights along with the action sequences.Looking forward to "x men :days of future" past. Best superhero movie of the summer!
  96. Jul 31, 2013
    This review contains spoilers. The movie acted like it had to make up a problem for wolverine to solve as is it stays true to the wolverine character, it affiliates itself with characters X-men/Wolverine fans really don't care for aka (The person who Wolverine saves the main villan, His bodyguard. And many more I feel as if the characters weren't given names seriously name three (not including wolverine.) The action was good and the point to the story was... for Wolverine to lose his claws and get hooked up with some Japanese girls? Seriously that's what I got from the story. The action is good, Story ok not as good as origins, but not a complete disaster. Collapse
  97. Jul 31, 2013
    It takes a special kind of talent to make the X-Men's most popular character boring. Poor editing, terrible characterization (James aka Logan doesn't speak Japanese and didn't train/study in Japan? ARE YOU KIDDING ME??) flat action sequences, and awful direction from James Mangold made this movie exactly what I thought it would be. When Darren Aronofsky was on board to direct it seemed like I was gonna get the Wolverine film I'd always wanted with substance and a less-is-more style, rather than lots of yelling and poorly choreographed action scenes. Even when Aronofsky left the project, (handing of it off to James Mangold, the man behind such classics as Knight & Day, 3:10 to Yuma and Girl Interrupted), I still held out hope that some of Aronofsky’s original vision could carry over to this new version of the story, but it seems I was wrong. I'd have rather spent two and half hours watching the old Saturday morning X-Men cartoons. F this movie. Expand
  98. Jul 31, 2013
    "The Wolverine" is the best presentation of Logan's adventures. Filled with darkness story is ideally suited for this superhero. The mood of the story enhances the music composed by Marco Beltrami, which perfectly captures the atmosphere. In the land of the rising sun, the samurai steel intersects with the adamantium claws. The battle scenes are visionary presented. And the fight on the top of the train between Wolverine and Yakuza gang is one of the best scenes in this film. Director James Mangold skilfully presents the conflict of the main character, who must confront not only with new enemies but also with his dark past. But the best revelation of this film is the phenomenal performance by Hugh Jackman, who is just excellent for this role! Starting today when I hear Wolverine I can only see Hugh Jackman. Expand
  99. Jul 31, 2013
    I was one of only three people in the whole theatre for the 10am weekday time 2D version, i like it like that. Movie is let down by having a mutant in a major role, why not a few mutants. And please, nobody can fight with knives on top of a 300klh train, if they were mutants yes, yakuza no. Romance is kept under control to suggestive level which i like. I didn't like the overall story but elements of it appealed along with the action to keep me entertained. Expand
  100. Jul 30, 2013
    Yet another ham-fisted take on the character. It's like no director can do justice to Wolverine. If only Chris Nolan would switch from DC to Marvel. Do yourself a favour: go see Pacific Rim instead.

1. Reviewed by: Claudia Puig
    Jul 28, 2013
    An intermittently exciting action film anchored by a strong performance by Jackman, who embodies Wolverine like no one else could.
    Slapped with the generic title The Wolverine, the fifth feature-length appearance of Hugh Jackman’s X-Man John Logan is basically "The Bad News Wolverine Goes to Japan" and is not especially world-shaking.
  3. Reviewed by: Rene Rodriguez
    Jul 28, 2013
    The post-conversion 3D is more distracting than anything else, but the rest of this surprisingly fun entertainment is as sharp as the hero’s claws.