6.7

1. Jan 5, 2014
    I'm a big Xmen fan, but I had it with Wolverine this and Wolverine that. although wolverine is one of my characters in the xmen franchise, I am sick of his story line, why not open up other origins of different xmen like first class did. despite this I still think it was good, but has to be the last movie about wolverine
  2. Jan 5, 2014
    I really enjoyed this movie and I'm not a great fan of X-men movies but I thought Hugh Jackman's protrayal was excellent this time round. A much more entertaining movie than Wolverine. The special effects were spectacular although the ending was a wee bit over the top.
  3. Jan 4, 2014
    I liked it, im sure it is very difficult to completely screw up a movie based on such an amazing character. We're are given wolverine in Japan. Sounds cool but for me it was pretty dull and not very interesting. I mean sure we have the wolverine kicking ass as usual but not as much as in wolverine origins and I thought the Asian dude in the robot suit looked way too cgi and everything elseI liked it, im sure it is very difficult to completely screw up a movie based on such an amazing character. We're are given wolverine in Japan. Sounds cool but for me it was pretty dull and not very interesting. I mean sure we have the wolverine kicking ass as usual but not as much as in wolverine origins and I thought the Asian dude in the robot suit looked way too cgi and everything else just didn't get me involved. Once again its a good movie but come on its the wolverine this should be amazing. Expand
  4. Jan 3, 2014
    X Men Origins Wolverine was funnier than this, but The Wolverine is still one of the most amusing movies of 2013.

No I'm not writing a review of a different movie in the wrong place The Wolverine suffers from being unintentionally funny, much like X Men Origins Wolverine. The acting is half decent and respectable Hugh Jackman surprisingly giving the weakest performance, and the

The acting is half decent and respectable Hugh Jackman surprisingly giving the weakest performance, and the special effects top rate (but what do you expect it's an X Men movie). Those are the only fully positive things I have to say about The Wolverine, with the exception of it not being boring.

While they have good CGI and aren't filmed badly the action scenes are way too overblown and unrealistic to be taken seriously, which is a major problem because there are lots of them. Samurai ninja's appear at one point to kill The Wolverine. Why? Earlier in the movie they just got people with guns to kill Logan, why the sudden change? Oh that's right, because it's set in Japan! I'm not saying it's racist, I'm saying it's a totally reason to put samurai ninja's in the movie. Because nowadays superhero movies are aimed at 4 year olds there isn't a lot of plot, but the very small amount of it is also ridiculous and too unrealistic to take seriously, there is a giant robot samurai suit controlled by a dying old man. End of argument. As for the twist near the end, I didn't see it coming but it's still terrible.

Maybe I'm being too harsh on The Wolverine? Movies like The Rock, White House Down and Undercover Brother have had ridiculous plots and cliched scenes but I have still enjoyed them. That's because they are intentionally flawed and meant to be cheesy, The Wolverine tried and failed to be serious. Hugely disappointing.
  5. Dec 29, 2013
    It's badass, mutant, samurai movies like these that make me look back at Origins and laugh out loud at how got damn awful that film is.
    The Wolverine has gotten me pumped to see how good/or bad Days Of Future past will be, i CANT GODDMAN WAIT
  6. Dec 23, 2013
    Wow. This film gets so much right, but its biggest achievement is something that no super hero film has done before, whether it be Marvel or DC, is that it manages to stay true to the comics, while also entertaining causal film fans. Hell this film could entertain anybody, whether there action fans, drama fans any fan! It's a definitley risky for Marvel to try something like this, andWow. This film gets so much right, but its biggest achievement is something that no super hero film has done before, whether it be Marvel or DC, is that it manages to stay true to the comics, while also entertaining causal film fans. Hell this film could entertain anybody, whether there action fans, drama fans any fan! It's a definitley risky for Marvel to try something like this, and they have pulled it of amazingly, but the real glue that holds this together is Jackman's preformance. Now we all know its always been good, but this time he takes it to a whole new level. He's dark, thematic, serious and engaging, with such good character development. It's a shame that some of the other character aren't as well developed. Despite this they are incredibly well acted. On par with the acting is the directing, which never feels out of place. Another spectacular feat it manages to accomplish is that it balances the substance and the action, nether letting one out way the other. But the one thing that ultimately kills this film for me is its extremely awful ending. Any fan will agree! It's anti-climactic, lazy, go's away from the comics and has some of the worst CGI I have ever seen! If only that ending wasn't here, I reckon think this film could of easily got a nine, maybe even a ten, but I can't forgive that ending. Expand
  7. Dec 18, 2013
    I really enjoyed all of the X-Men based movies, great fun, great stories and great action everything required for a few hours of popcorn escapism.
    Well The Wolverine takes all that, scrunchies it into a ball and chucks it in the bin.
    Nonsense from start to finish, more lazy incoherent writing from the mass-producing Hollywood clowns. It's all about the bucks and nothing to do with the
    It's all about the bucks and nothing to do with the audience, I mean do the producers and writers actually watch the tripe before they dish it out to the public?? On this evidence, I think not.
  8. Dec 11, 2013
    Even though i really enjoyed this movie. Wolverine is one of those comics with 100s if not thousands of great story lines. Picking a good one out and turning into a screenplay should not be that difficult.
  9. Dec 8, 2013
    A very big surprise! The movie had a very good story. Setting was awesome! a lot of clever fight scenes.
    special effects were great as well. only problem is the movie falls apart in the last 10 mins. other then that! I highly recommend it!
  10. Dec 8, 2013
    I really liked the first part of the movie. I thought it could be easily a 7 out of 10, but the last part loses me a little bit. For some reason all these X-men movies become too cartoony towards the end. Don´t get me wrong, you´ll enjoy it. Some of the scenes and cinematography during the first part are great. It´s a different enough movie and I liked the story. But it could have been more.
  11. Dec 7, 2013
    This was an obvious stroke film for guys that like Asian women. And at what point did the Wolverine become an absolute weak that doesn't crush his opponents either through decapitation or through extreme bloody violence. This movie was an insult to the comic book series, and the studios need to stop now.
  12. Dec 6, 2013
    Look I hate bad movies, but this movie is hardly bad, it has some nice acting, it stays true to the comic and it has some great action scenes. Sure at times I felt Logan's pure hatred for life was kinda silly, but I also understood why he was in pain and couldn't let Gene go, that's one of the steps of grief....until he finds his new Japanese girlfriend and then that emotional part losesLook I hate bad movies, but this movie is hardly bad, it has some nice acting, it stays true to the comic and it has some great action scenes. Sure at times I felt Logan's pure hatred for life was kinda silly, but I also understood why he was in pain and couldn't let Gene go, that's one of the steps of grief....until he finds his new Japanese girlfriend and then that emotional part loses all of it's steam because he immediately lets Gene go, and then there's the Japanese archer whose story a arch is kinda broken, he's the bad guy, but he's not because of unfathomable reasons, his character was cool, but he needed a better back-story and his role needed serious tweaking. STILL, despite those dumb sub-plots, the films stays true to everything that makes the Wolverine character so great, admittedly this film isn't as great as the original trilogy but I still felt it was an enjoyable addition to the sub-X-men films, I won't guarantee you anything, but if you've liked the X-men films so far, you will probably like this one too. Expand
  13. Dec 6, 2013
    This is a decent movie. It had potential to truly be great in exploring the struggle for Logan to deal with immortality, but instead becomes a fun yet unfulfilling sequence of fighting with no real ending at all.
  14. Dec 5, 2013
    The Wolverine was much more enjoyable than what i thought it was going to be. Hugh Jackman is always great as wolverine, the Chinese storyline was unexpected, this movie actually tried something new. That one scene when Wolverine is on top of the train fighting a guy with a small knife was hilarious. The ending was good, i actually want to watch the next X-Men movie when it releases.The Wolverine was much more enjoyable than what i thought it was going to be. Hugh Jackman is always great as wolverine, the Chinese storyline was unexpected, this movie actually tried something new. That one scene when Wolverine is on top of the train fighting a guy with a small knife was hilarious. The ending was good, i actually want to watch the next X-Men movie when it releases. Overall Score= 78/100 Expand
  15. N0X
    Dec 4, 2013
    Know nothing about the comic's but am an avid viewer of the franchise & movie buff. Love the character brought to life by Jackman but 3 things in this movie really annoyed me.
    1) Viper is worst villain ever and so damn annoying
    2) Gene your dead already bugger off....again so annoying
    3) Where the heck are his adamantium claws !!!!!!...the bone ones are so gay
  16. Dec 2, 2013
    Choosing the artful director James Mangold "Walk the Line" (2005) and "Knight and Day" (2010), certainly enjoys a much smoother journey to the big screen than its predecessor, "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" (2009). The movie adopts a new, visually appealing setting encouraging a change in tone for the heroic comic book character, with a script written by Scott Frank and Mark Bomback thatChoosing the artful director James Mangold "Walk the Line" (2005) and "Knight and Day" (2010), certainly enjoys a much smoother journey to the big screen than its predecessor, "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" (2009). The movie adopts a new, visually appealing setting encouraging a change in tone for the heroic comic book character, with a script written by Scott Frank and Mark Bomback that contains themes of mortality, family, honor, and forgiveness. In "The Wolverine," Mangold, Frank, and Bomback introduce new layers to the popular, charismatic mutant with a tortured soul who is making his sixth "X-Men" franchise appearance.

It's a character driven plot that takes the Wolverine into new territory, both figuratively and literally. Logan (Hugh Jackman) is a wolf without a pack, in a self-imposed exile after the ruinous losses of 2006's "X-Men: The Last Stand." The movie takes place mostly in modern-day Japan, where Logan reconnects with a former soldier he shielded from the atom bomb dropped on Nagasaki in 1945.

Decades later, the immortal mutant is summoned to the side of the man he saved by Yukio (Rila Fukushima), an electric redhead with superior knife skills, and an ability to foresee the future. The dying Yashida (Hal Yamanouchi), now a billionaire, offers his savior the chance to lose his immortality, and to live a normal life span without his super-healing powers and incredible strength. Logan finds himself mixed up in the succession between Yashida and the Japanese mob, the Yakuza. The Yakuza is trying to assassinate his beautiful granddaughter Mariko (Tao Okamoto), and Logan chases her down cross-country to protect her from harm.

Drawing on the influence of Samurai films, the action is refreshingly tactile, with well-choreographed fight scenes and some genuinely impressive blockbuster set-pieces. The high point of the movie is the Tokyo bullet train sequence around the halfway mark, which provides some sorely needed thrills something which the final showdown fails to provide entirely. The third act is overloaded with CGI driven combat scenes which feels overly artificial given its character driven storyline. By the end of the movie however, nothing has really changed, and Wolverine is more or less the same superhero from two hours earlier. This is Jackman's show entirely, and he is as forceful and charismatic as ever. If only he had something more interesting to do here.
  17. Dec 2, 2013
    This movie was horrible! It was worse than X-Men Origins: The Wolverine! I can't imagine how people liked it! It was slow, boring & didn't even make sense. All the characters besides Wolverine were not memorable in the slightest. I was laughing out loud about how cheesy it was & my wife fell asleep. All these good reviews must be BS as this movie has no redeeming qualities outside of theThis movie was horrible! It was worse than X-Men Origins: The Wolverine! I can't imagine how people liked it! It was slow, boring & didn't even make sense. All the characters besides Wolverine were not memorable in the slightest. I was laughing out loud about how cheesy it was & my wife fell asleep. All these good reviews must be BS as this movie has no redeeming qualities outside of the X-Men: Days of Future Past preview during the credits. Expand
  18. Dec 2, 2013
    Honestly, I was both disappointed and pleasantly surprised by this movie.

This movie really gives Logan's character allot of depth and tackles a very interesting storyline from the comics. BUT, for a movie that's focus is around a mutant, it really seems to be lacking mutants. Granted there are some cool scenes closer to the end, but for a Marvel adaptation, it's rather weak.
    Honestly, I was both disappointed and pleasantly surprised by this movie.

Overall:
    The Wolverine is good in terms of its narrative, writing and overall performances by the central characters. But, for a Wolverine movie, one would expect more impressive action, and that is really it's main gripe. Character development is essential for any story, but you can not sacrifice what made the character popular in first place just for the sake of storytelling.

The Wolverine is a good movie, but don't go into it expecting it to be action packed.

Side Note:
    If Wolverine is to have a movie of his own, he needs to go up against worthy adversaries. Silver Samurai did look awesome but was barely in the movie. Viper was done well, yet she is such an obscure villain and would have better suited being a flunky Captain America villain. She really felt and looked out of place in this movie.
  19. Nov 29, 2013
    It escalates a ladder of success for two-thirds the entire movie mainly due to Hugh Jackman's terrific performance and its use of Japanese culture, then trips down on a puddle of sloppiness and lands flat.
  20. Nov 28, 2013
    Once again, the low score tweakers are out in force with unrealistic expectations. Nicely done way way better than I thought you could do with what is probably one of the weakest characters in the Marvel lineup. Why weak? Brooding violent guy who turns into a wolf-like creature and can never be killed? This film manages to use the weakness of the character into a strength (not a spoiler),Once again, the low score tweakers are out in force with unrealistic expectations. Nicely done way way better than I thought you could do with what is probably one of the weakest characters in the Marvel lineup. Why weak? Brooding violent guy who turns into a wolf-like creature and can never be killed? This film manages to use the weakness of the character into a strength (not a spoiler), which is pretty cool if you ask me. Best of the bunch so far. Not bad at all. Expand
  21. Nov 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's late, but I finally watched it in DVD. And I have to say the Wolverine is at most an above average adventure movie.

Hugh Jackman, as always, shows that he is the one to play Logan. Although the character in X-Men is always 2-dimensional archetypal anti-hero, at least here there is some room to flesh out his character. Unfortunately, they didn't give a lot of growth to the character. The essential theme to the film is living past regrets and pain, that the body may heal, but the mind doesn't. You get to see Wolverine trying to live past Jean Grey after X-Men 3 (and kudos to them bringing back Famke Janssen in an effort to internalise the struggle. And succeed they did!). It got him quite stuck in the grieving stage until he falls in love with Mariko Yashida. I can see where they are going with the love plot, and mostly they did an average job. It just needed more chemistry and polishing before I can believe this love story. And the coda to the film does get him past grief, but I hated Logan mentioning that "He is a soldier" and stuff. There is nothing holding him back from living with Mariko, no commitments to the X-Men (at least until the credits), and yet he chooses to live on in conflict. This isn't Batman where he has a purpose to the point of obsession, he is not tied to an altruistic cause.

The action sequences are quite well done. Lots of melee fighting, wire-fu, and good fight choreography. The people that are suppose to fight, can do so in a heart-pounding scene. However, I must stress that the green screen effects are not so impressive. This is true in the bullet train sequence. You just can't believe Logan is fighting people on a 300mph train, because the wind and the actors don't give that sort of impression. CGI is a slight cut above average. The SIlver Samurai's armor is monochromatically silver, making it easy to model, texture and light. But it just needed more polishing before it looks like an actual object in the physical world. Several times during the final fight, the CG almost fell into last-gen video game graphics territory.

I need to mention Yuriko, the red-haired woman. It's mentioned that she is a precog, trained in fighting. She demonstrates the latter very well, but the former is poorly conveyed. In a film, I do not like it when things are told to me, and not showed to me. The vision she had on Logan's "death" could have been shown to the audience using blurry/transition shots, and it would have been fine. As a character, she isn't quite deep; that goes to Mariko.

Ironically the plot of the film ends up revealed to me 10 minutes into the movie. Yashida basically told Logan that he is the villain when he proposed to transfer his healing factor to another person permanently. Given that he himself is dying, and the look on his eyes show that he is a man who gets what he wants, it is no big leap or surprise to me when the big reveal shows that he is the villain. Which is probably why after the 1st action sequence, the writers decided to pull a farce and artificially deepen the movie.

To me, complexity of the story should be reflected in depth and quality, not in the number of subplots you can juggle around with. It confuses people as to who the main players are in each subplot, and to recognise when it starts and concludes, and the magnitude of its conclusion to the main plot. Worse, given that every secondary character in this movie is 2-dimensional, superficial, and otherwise generic, it is hard to get invested. The entire Yashida clan was a nest of vipers after the "death" of the old man. There is a revenge subplot because of being left out in the will, there is the Yakuza, there is the venomous Dr., there is the ronin clan of ninjas who supposedly looks out for the Yashida clan even though they are actively hunting Mariko and Logan in a similar fashion to the Yakuza. Add Logan's grief, his loss of healing factor, and the romance, and you get a confusing web of plots that appear and disappear with no consequence. It just leaves me preoccupied with questions, instead of enjoying the film.

One of the plot holes in the film is apparent when Logan and Mariko do not call for help from the Yashida's even when they could at some points. Its explained in a reasonable attempt later on, and validates it ex post facto, but its not good if the actors appear to read ahead of the script and act as such.

The loss of healing factor plot to me is rivetting, as it finally shows vulnerability on Logan's side, but ultimately pointless in the grand arc. What's the point of making him vulnerable (and probably killed soon), if ultimately you need him alive to extract his healing factor, Mr Yashida? Oops, a plot hole?

In conclusion, the Wolverine is a film about Logan moving past the grieving stage. It showed a decent development for Logan in this regard, but the web of superfluous subplots makes it difficult to enjoy the film as it is. It would be better if they just keep it simple.
  22. Nov 24, 2013
    The movie was very flat, I love the films of mutants, but this only came in three, adding that the villain, Viber, was complete crap, devoid of personality second thought the movie was very regular, shooting bad.
  23. Nov 23, 2013
    For the most part it was sort of disappointing. The plot wasn't interesting at all. Having Jean Grey in it via hallucinations was so needless and pointless. The dialogue was just garbage and hurt by corny jokes that we have heard hundreds of times before. The action scenes are a massive miss as well. I think what saves and makes it worth watching is the mid-credits scene featuring theFor the most part it was sort of disappointing. The plot wasn't interesting at all. Having Jean Grey in it via hallucinations was so needless and pointless. The dialogue was just garbage and hurt by corny jokes that we have heard hundreds of times before. The action scenes are a massive miss as well. I think what saves and makes it worth watching is the mid-credits scene featuring the return of some very famous characters. Overall, It's better than Origins but no that big of a step up. Expand
  24. Nov 22, 2013
    Don't usually give things zeros since it is extreme but this is hands down one of the worst "big budget" movies I have ever seen. Horrible acting, writing, everything. The reason this film was made is because they have to make XMen movies every "X" amount of years to maintain the rights. I literally laughed out lout a few times the movie is THAT bad. I have a hard time believing any of theDon't usually give things zeros since it is extreme but this is hands down one of the worst "big budget" movies I have ever seen. Horrible acting, writing, everything. The reason this film was made is because they have to make XMen movies every "X" amount of years to maintain the rights. I literally laughed out lout a few times the movie is THAT bad. I have a hard time believing any of the positive reviews aren't a joke. Expand
  25. Nov 14, 2013
    A decent effort and far superior to its predecessor. The third acts seems a little too much like a different film and loses the audience in special effects rather winning with plot.
  26. Nov 12, 2013
    For first time a movie that isn't centered around mutants and their problems. With awesome window throw and nuke scene this movie is rather dull and slow paced and didn't met my expectations but isn't that bad ether.
  27. Nov 10, 2013
    At first, I wasn't too intimidated to see "The Wolverine" but I thought, why not give it a go? And it turns out that it was quite worth it. You know the scene where the Wolverine and another guy fights on the train, I thought that that was gonna be really cheesy. But no. That was one of the best fight scenes in the whole movie.
  28. Nov 7, 2013
    Well the movie reminded me of a 80's cheesy film. Jackman did a good job with his acting, but everything else was cheesy, predictable, and some what boring. I mean Ninjas on motorbikes on top of the roofs and on a snowy ice cover roof at that, then flying around, I mean it was stupid really.
    The bad guy (girl) was a typical Hollywood garbage we seen a million times, ya know talks slow and sarcastic and the producer tries to wedge in sexiness into the way they act and talk, yawn, yeah we seen this before and it is pathetic and getting tiresome.
    Not to mention the anti-hunter thing in the beginning of the movie, typical left wing BS portraying hunters as all a bunch of idiots and of course the animals life is more important that a persons life. Pathetic and sick.
    Hollywood pumps out more propaganda and garbage any more, and this is just another one of those kind of movies.
  29. Nov 7, 2013
    As a big fan of the original X-Men Trilogy, I must say "the Wolverine" disappointed me in most of its points. Seeing Wolverine back in action after the events of X3 sure was satisfying, but the overall movie had a lack of character, proper design, solid structure, and most of all a lack of mutants.
  30. Oct 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. hugh jackman at the top of his game better than origins but not as good as the x2 or 1st class this character driven movie makes wolverine seem like the most badass and powerful superhero
    stay after the credits

1. Reviewed by: Claudia Puig
    Jul 28, 2013
    An intermittently exciting action film anchored by a strong performance by Jackman, who embodies Wolverine like no one else could.
    Slapped with the generic title The Wolverine, the fifth feature-length appearance of Hugh Jackman’s X-Man John Logan is basically "The Bad News Wolverine Goes to Japan" and is not especially world-shaking.
  3. Reviewed by: Rene Rodriguez
    Jul 28, 2013
    The post-conversion 3D is more distracting than anything else, but the rest of this surprisingly fun entertainment is as sharp as the hero’s claws.