6.7

1. Jul 26, 2013
    "The Wolverine" stays true to the comics, the Japanese arc of the comics is easily Wolverine's best story and this movie delivers more than justice! Best superhero movie of the summer.
  2. Jul 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. While watching The Wolverine, I was reminded of another Marvel movie, Spider-Man 2. The two films showed how the powers given to our heroes effect them. But in Spider-Man 2 unlike The Wolverine, this story is well explored and done. In Spider-Man 2 there's an actual struggle. Peter wants to be with Mary Jane and not disappoint her all the time. However, at the same time the city needs him. He thinks back to what Uncle Ben told him about "With great power, comes great responsibility." In The Wolverine, the story is done horribly. We're showed why Logan doesn't want to be immortal anymore which links back to X-Men: The Last Stand. Even with that it feels vague and forced because we are constantly reminded. Going back to there being no struggle, at a certain point in the movie Logan decides it's time to get his powers back. I mean it's makes sense, since Mariko was kidnapped. But it all felt half-baked. Now I know it's unfair to compare it to Spider-Man 2. Now I'll just go ahead and look at the movie for what it's trying to accomplish. The movie started out promising. The scene where Logan saves Yashida and the beginning showing him as a drifter laid interesting groundwork. The scene where everyone is attending Yashida's funeral is where things really started to slide. From there we fallow Logan's and Mariko's relationship which is incredibly forced. After a few scenes of them just interacting, they arrive at a home of Mariko's. Then they fall in love like that. The movie concludes with Mariko being kidnapped and Logan has to get his powers back to save. The final act of this movie is one big mess. A lot of the time you're going, really? Especially with the final plot twist. Some of this has to do with the villains. They are generic and uninteresting. This brings me back to my next point, the acting. Hugh Jackman is good as always. In this particular film he really gets to bring the animal out in his character. Rila Fukushima as Yariko didn't do it for me at first. She felt really bland. But as the movie went on I started to like her more and more. The rest of the cast is stale. With the exception of the train scene, the action was just there. It didn't do anything for me. I didn't care about anything going on with the plot. It just wasn't interesting. So in the end. The Wolverine suffers from mostly bad acting, generic villains, almost non existent character development, dull plot, and bad story. Expand
  3. Jul 28, 2013
    Horrible.... The first Wolverine was fun, this one was incredibly boring. It felt like it was watered down for kids, when he'd stab someone it'd not show any blood... just a close up of either Logan or bad guys face reacting to it. The characters were weak, Viper was a crap actor and they voiced over her lines because I felt like I was watching an old Kung Fu movie. Logan's love interest was just stupid. Maybe I'm just had higher expectations after watching Superman. The first Wolverine was great, and I've seen it many times. This movie just lacked any fun qualities and the characters were boring. Expand
  4. Jul 26, 2013
    Is there not a director out there that can get a grip on the wolverine? Hugh jackman keeps this from being a total loss, but the story and tone are all over the place. A good moment is lost to numerous dull and botched scenes. I know the studio wanted to avoid a R rating, but the lack of blood from all of wolverine's slashing is laughable. An improvement over the origins film, but rent this if you really have to see it. Expand
  5. Jul 29, 2013
    This movie is so bad that it is a disgrace to contemporary cinema art in all its forms whether it's acting, plot, cinematography or editing. The plot of the film is so lame and disgusting that I want to just ask yourself, "What is worth all this?". All the characters are so stupid, and their actions are so incomprehensible to me that you just want to get away and not watch all this nonsense that is happening on the screen. Expand
  6. Jul 26, 2013
    I thought Die Hard 5 was the worst movie I'd see this year. But I was wrong. The Wolverine was worse. It's like Kill Bill without the fun. Or the revenge. It's like that episode of Lost where Jack goes to Thailand to get a tattoo. It's boring. It's poorly written. It's pointless.
  7. Jul 27, 2013
    I was so hoping for a good one finally...alas, no. The first 30 minutes or so are fine. But, once we start arcing to the middle of the movie plus the lack of an effective protagonist along with one of the most lame mutant villains ever (the doc whose powers (if you can call them that) don't contribute to the story line at all) causes the alarms to begin ringing. The movie is so formulaic as was Iron Man 3 as was Avengers as was...The plot truly makes no sense but you do have to look beneath the surface. Just scratch it a little and you will see the lack of plot integrity. Finally, the big finale was so ridiculous and I have seen this exact story line in so many of these movies. It is pretty nearly identical to Guy Pearce's part in Prometheus for instance. Expand
  8. Jul 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One very good action scene on top of the train but that was about it. Hugh Hackman gave it his all as ever but the movie just dragged on way too much. The rest of the action scenes were not well filmed at all. The iron ninja at the end is just stupid and unnecessary. I think a lack of star power also killed this movie though. Apart from Jackman there is no one recognizable in the movie. Not always a bad thing but this movie was crying out for a charismatic well fleshed out villain. The big reveal at the end is seen coming from a mile away. The character deserves a better director and story but I think this may well put the final death nail on the coffin for stand alone Wolverine movies. Expand
  9. Jul 30, 2013
    i was expecting more from that film. the first one has more action scenes. this one is so boring. i regret to have waste my money on that film... do not waste your time on this film..go see pacific rim its way much better. also the only thing he cut in this movie is paper walls and wood....very disappointing..
  10. Jul 27, 2013
    bad movie, its not like other xmen series, this one is just like normal action movie with sword, gun, etc
    no original xmen fight with supernatural power, just fighting with sowrd, gun ,etc
    omg its just not like xmen
  11. Jul 26, 2013
    This movie was off the chain. Judging by my profile you can see I rarely ever give a perfect score for anything but this movie was amazing. Not only was it the best action movie I've seen in a while, it is the best movie I have seen in a very long time. This was a very well put together movie. I honestly wasn't even planning on seeing this because it just looked like a random one off story in Wolverines life filled with unrecognizable characters. But the characters are well written and acted perfectly. The action was amazing with each scene being as memorable as the last. I was just blown away by this movie because I came in expecting a lackluster forgettable story, and I got so much more. This movie left me wanting more, and I hope the characters make a future return in Wolverine's life. I'm not going to spoil anything, but I suggest you go see this movie. Ignore the critics and negative reviews, this is a 5 star action flick that will keep you on the edge of your seat (it literally gave me chills). I do't understand how anyone can give this movie less than and 8, but you can't please everybody. Overall I guarantee you won't be disappointed, money well spent. Expand
  12. Jul 26, 2013
    From the beginning I thought that this movie would the worse superhero movie of the year. But after exiting the cinema I was stunned, it was literally a huge surprise.Hugh Jackman kicks ass as the Wolverine like always and all the other actors did a solid job. The story was awesome, it was nice to see the Wolverine in another way; mortal and vulnerable. There where awesome fight scenes and the script/conversations where decent. The ending was a surprise which I loved. I loved the envirenment, Japan and Tokia was interesting and beautiful, not like Origins (which was a sh*t movie, dont watch it). Overall, The Wolverine is one of the best action movies this year in my opinion. Expand
  13. Jul 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As another reviewer put it, it's essentially like having a Batman movie in Florida with Michael Cera as the villain. I am a huge Wolverine fan boy and there's no doubt that Hugh Jackman is a tremendously gifted actor. With that said, this was mostly about campy ninjas doing unnecessary somersaults and flips. The writing was awful. Very lowbrow- this reeks of audience testing instead of storytelling. Famke Jansen in the film basically to show you part of her boobs for about 30 minutes. Expand
  14. Jul 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I thought that the movie started off a bit slow but, as my partner said, it just had to lay the foundation of the characters which is good. THe movie is amazing! I went opening night, which is rare for me since I typically don't enjoy the movie too much opening night due to the incessantly excessive noise people make but this was definitely worth the risk. It's an amazing movie that shows the depth of the Marvels Wolverine and how he ties in with the rest of the mutants. Be sure to wait until the end of the movie for a bonus! Go see it! Expand
  15. Jul 28, 2013
    The critics are off on this one.. There is so many superhero films that they are starting to get sick of them. But The Wolverine, is not only a good superhero movie, it is a good movie. The characters, the acting, the action, the cinematography is all great here.
  16. Jul 27, 2013
    An incoherent mess. It was all over the place, the story was pointless and confusing. The setting is extremely questionable. Japan?! Everything that happened on screen made no sense, did nothing for the character, and gives us a story that goes in a very peculiar direction for the beloved Wolverine.

A weird mutant villain, poorly portrayed, and her motivation was lacking any reason. The
    robot thing along with that was confusing and just didn't make any sense.

All these low-brow superhero flicks tend to bring up so many ideas about losing powers and gaining powers, it's ridiculous. Nobody follows through with these ideas anyway. Nobody cares. There wasn't contrast, it was confusion. Scratching my head over the whole purpose of the story. They had so much potential. A good director, but what the hell is with the story?

There's a million ideas, and they pick a strange one. It's like having a Batman movie taking place in Florida and Michael Cera playing the villain. It just doesn't make any sense.

There were a few action scenes that gave some laughs, but for the most part it was disgusting action. Not genuine at all. The performance by Hugh Jackman honestly, felt fake. I couldn't see the old awesome, funny LOgan because he wasn't there. He wasn't being the character, he was just acting it. Pretending to be Wolverine. With those ridiculously questionable eyebrows and extreme vein problems. I mean it felt fake. I think he's overdue. I mean, its like a Jack Sparrow deal. Overdue, overdone, and just past expiry. They could've changed actors, give the character a whole new vision. Why not? They do it all the time with Superman, Batman, and Spiderman. 3 of the most iconic superheroes ever. But no, these marvel guys, which half of them I didn't even know until they made movies about them, are untouchable and special. You cant change their actors. The directing was entertaining but it can't hold up this dreadfully incoherent mess of a storyline. I didn't get it, I was confused, and it was a waste of my money. I promised I wouldn't see this because i knew it would be awful. Well i saw it because it was a 61/100. Better than the hobbit?! Okay, shouldn't be bad. It was gripping, but the writing of the story seemed ad-libbed without a strong vision to take the story of the character to an intriguing, interesting level. It's pointless.

In the end, nobody cares and throughout the watch, nobody cared.

I'm finished with these flashy, money-grab superhero blockbusters that everybody is forced to go on the bandwagon for, but deep down I know aren't very good. I've predicted every metascore this summer so far and I've gotten all of them right so far. Might as well go back and see The Conjuring, because that is really the only movie worth seeing right now, and is the big July movie this summer.

I even missed the apparent after-credits scene. Aw c'mon. You're kidding me? Now I'm real disappointed.
  17. Jul 26, 2013
    Overall plot of this movie is not bad. That's why I give a "3", not "1". Wolverine: origins was 8/10 for me. But this new film is 85% some of the stupidiest dialogs I ever heard, and 15% of cheap action. And worst of all Wolverine is not immortal badass in this movie. Just some romantic guy picking up japanese chicks.
  18. Jul 26, 2013
    Thank God it wasn't like the X-men Origins: Wolverine. Great acting, good actions scenes (specially the one on the train), interesting story and an amazing teaser (during the credits) for the next upcoming movie.
  19. Jul 29, 2013
    When will Hollywood understand that most people don't go to see a wolverine or superman or even batman movie to see them get a piece of ass, the whole half hour to forty five minutes of character development leading up to a simple sex act is boring.
    Also please stop with the I'm losing my powers through 90 minutes of the movie and now I got them back for the last 10 minutes of the
    movie, been there done that. Expand
  20. Jul 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Spoilers ahead

This is stupid. Why can't a move follow some of the established character from the comics? The Comic book company has spent a lot of money perfecting the character, why not use something more closely resembling their story arc and actually using the established history?

Silver Samurai's suit made of adamantium? seriously? Even a heated adamantium sword (or tachyon energised sword like the comic's Silver Samurai) couldn't cut off Wolverines claws. And when Logan was fighting the father wielding a katana, the katana would have been cut to pieces.

The comic book wolverine would have mopped up those silly back- flipping keystone cop ninjas.

The relationship that was "forged" (as in counterfeit) between Mariko and Logan was laugable. I won't be watching this when it pops up on the tube, and certainly won't buy the dvd or even rent it on Redbox. I wouldn't even watch it on netflix.
  21. Foe
    Jul 27, 2013
    This film is largely well done in terms of the acting and the setting. The script, however, is where it progressively unravels.

As a casual comic book reader since the 1970's, the prospect of a Wolverine film set in Japan, and based on the seminal Claremont/Miller storyline, was a geek's dream come true. Apparently, dreams are meant to be shattered.

Consider: All that was really
    required here was to stick closely to the source material. Or failing that, take another well done film like The Last Samurai and simply plop Hugh Jackman's portrayal of Wolverine into it. Simple, right? One would think...

Instead, we are treated to another poorly written Wolverine film where the character motivations are flimsy throughout, the villainy lacks any focus, and the action scenes are tame.

While not as laughably bad as Origins, this outing is only marginally better; especially when one considers how low the bar was set.

Until and unless Marvel Studios reclaims the rights their ultimate and penultimate characters (Spider-man & Wolverine), neither will receive the film treatment both deserves.

All in all, a rental. Nothing more.
  22. Jul 28, 2013
    Awful. Just plain awful. Making a tortured-soul-identity-crisis-movie with Wolverine? Who would ever think that would work?
    God, that plot reminded me of Max Payne 3, it's roughly the same useless story, where the protagonist, according o his background and personality, shouldn't be giving a damn about all the people who just come out of nowhere, grab him, put him somewhere far away from
    home, and try to communicate with him, pretending that something very big and meaningful is happening. The truth is, nothing is really happening, at least, nothing that couldn't be explained in a ten-minute sequence rather than a two-hour parade of boredom.
    Action scenes are dull and unsophisticated, with CGI so badly made that my eyes were starting to hurt. I've never thought that an action scene with someone like Logan could make me fall asleep, but this movie made me change my mind. Great job.
    All of this was worth seeing only because of the little two-minute sequence after the credits. Now I'm just keeping my fingers crossed for "The Days Of The Future Past".
  23. Jul 29, 2013
    I'm quite disappointed with this movie. I was comparing it with the comic and animation's story (the wolverine chapter in Japan). I believe those ones are much better than the movie. they have deeper and well written plot. The director obviously could not get wolverine at all. Logan seems clueless but in the same time the story does not bring out the character. it was good enough in the beginning, well at least the first 30 minutes. But the rest...is just lame. Such a waste of Jackman and Hiroyuki Sanada's good acting. I can't feel the Japan/Ninja/ or Samurai's vibe at all in here. Waiting for a climax factor which never been found until the end. At least Xmen origin: Wolverine was quite okay and entertaining. This one is boring. And the last fight? Well.. that including the main villain and the mutant girl are just so wrong. So I believe this movie is much less than I'd expected. It just needs a much better director Expand
  24. Jul 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Hard to believe a film could make Wolverine:Origins seem like a decent film. I have no clue how a character such as Wolverine, who's foundation was cemented in the Frank Miller mini series cannon, can be botched this badly. The work (story, mood, sub-plots, characters, etc) had already been done.....how could you screw this up?

The movie rambles pointlessly after Logan gets to Japan and never completes until it ruins Logan's experience in Japan, the Silver Samurai character, and needlessly introduces the Viper character (what was the point of her molting and taking off her outfit......only to put it back on and be in the same form?). This movie makes my head hurt
  25. Jul 28, 2013
    "X-Men" returns for another spin-off, "The Wolverine." Since "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" was a huge disappointment until the people and the critics gave the movie a positive reaction of how good it is. But unfortunately the new spin-off sequel was pretty weak for me, and it's still underwhelm like The Origins has huge problems. The new story takes where Logan/Wolverine (Hugh Jackman) is beyond the woods, and he becomes a caveman bum. We meet a young Japanese girl to bring Logan back to Japan because Shigen Yashida was dying from sickness and he meets Logan from the past in World War II. After the death, the group of samurai thugs are planning to kidnap Yashida's daughter, so Logan must defeat all baddies including one over the top villain named Viper. The actions scenes are pretty good sometimes, but it's too silly and completely inaccurate. The mid scene is pretty boring and I feel that the movie takes so mad long that it's the same setup like The Origins. The Wolverine may be good for all audience, but I'm still waiting for a good superhero film and I probably will hook up on the next X-Men sequel on the way because The Wolverine spin-offs are a mess and didn't capture to enjoy of the awesomeness of the X-Men character. Pretty dumb for Wolverine's reaction of being scream all the time. Thumbs Down. Expand
  26. Jul 28, 2013
    Movie was way better than I had expected. Wolverine actually has a kind of character arc and you learn a little more about the character. Surprisingly, the two supporting girls are pretty cool too. After Origins I just assumed this would be another schlockfest and for about 4/5 of the movie, it totally wasn't. The finale is where the movie loses its marbles but for entertaining me as long as it did, I give The Wolverine its due. Collapse
  27. Aug 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was an incredible disappointment. Corny, campy, unrealistic (yes, even for a sci-fi movie) in terms of both plot, character, action sequences, etc. The costume for the female antagonist was terrible. Like a costume out of the 80's. Oh, and Ninjas.. Lots of corn-ball, 1980's ninjas running around and doing unnecessary flips. There are too many stupid little things to mention. A stupid little movie. The acting was OK, and Hugh Jackman was fantastic as always.. but terrible plot really. This movie is actually a 3, but there are a lot of BS reviews of this movie, I think by some paid company and they need to be offset. This movie should NOT be green. It should be Mixed/Orange. Expand
  28. Aug 16, 2013
    The movie is worst movie i ever watched.Half of people in cinema were sleeping,only
    the dump looked people were enjoying and i felt that they need therapy session.
    The Archer changing sides than baby dippers don't know what the hell is he doing.
    Hugh Jackman is always perfect and he did his best but this movie is horrible as dark knight
    rises where batman doing fist fight.First thing
    is how Japanese captured Wolverine.Who can ran away from Atom bomb while its falling.
    May be flash can do but certainly no human.Movie also so predictable and first glance i knew Yashida
    is the Silver Samurai.Why they delayed till last to extract Wolverine's powers they could have easily done
    it in first place.My advice is don't watch this in 3D because hardly any 3D in it and 3D wise similar
    to iron man 3,rent in a rent box if you have nothing to do with your money.To writers only one message stick
    with comic books unless you are good as JJ Abrams or Dennis Lehane.
  29. Jul 30, 2013
    Yet another ham-fisted take on the character. It's like no director can do justice to Wolverine. If only Chris Nolan would switch from DC to Marvel. Do yourself a favour: go see Pacific Rim instead.
  30. Jul 28, 2013
    Continued the X-men story-line quite well, and as usual be certain to watch after the credits for the standard X-men glimpse into what comes next. Having Wolverine advance the X-men to the next logical conclusion works, which at the same time including a good alternate personal adventure for The Wolverine to contend with. Logan must balance the pain of his past, his torturous guilt for having been in love with Jean Grey while at the same time, having to kill her. Jean is now subdued into Logan's dream world where she visits him in extremely sweet little nighties, always laying next to him in bed and calling him to the afterlife, now that he apparently has a chance to join her since the villain at this juncture has devised a plan to steal Logan's immortality.

The film has plenty of X-personal emotion-morality we have come to cherish in getting to understand the stoic, Maverick Wolverine over the years, and is certainly not shy on great and originally creative action sequences, one in particular on top of a train that has never been done before. Combined with Matrix-Era king-fu gang fights that Logan boxes his way through adds an extra cool touch with this film. I love the ending and its message, and he way it just continues the whole saga into yet another mystery of how this time they may all get together to save themselves, and humanity.
  31. Aug 20, 2013
    Yet another money grabbing film from the X-Men universe. The Wolverine is a terrible film, I'm even tempted to say that it was worse than X-Men Last Stand. The Wolverine which is essentially a two hour waste of time to see a post credit scene that lasts around 30 seconds to set up "Days of Future Past".

The Wolverine is another attempt to give Wolverine a decent stand alone film. Both
    times, frankly, have failed miserably. Wolverine is given a pointless and c***py assistant, who's part in the film is just a waste of time. Despite all of the rubbish that happens, the plot which is just stupid.

I did enjoy seeing the darker, angrier Wolverine from the comics coming alive, in this film. But that is the only good thing about this film, and it is only really seen for about 20 minutes, if that.
  32. Aug 25, 2013
    all horrible

too many Marvel Comics
    I don't like superheroes
  33. Aug 1, 2013
    Hugh Jackman returns as the (often shirtless) comic book mutant. He goes to Japan, where he gets embroiled in a ridiculously convoluted plot with a bunch of villains. There's one decent action sequence (on a train), but the rest are shot in a blur and edited in a confusing frenzy. Meanwhile, the pace is demolished by a lot of gnashing of teeth (literally) and drama (the usual inner demons). I was embarrassed for Jackman because this is so lamely written and poorly constructed. NOTE: Stay thru the early credits for a teaser with 2 cameos. Expand
  34. Jul 29, 2013
    I enjoyed the Japanese locations. I also really enjoyed Rila Fukushima as Yukio, Wolverines bodyguard. The fight scenes were mediocre, with the standard close ups and shaky camera so you can't see what's going on. And yes, there is yet another fight that takes place on top of a moving train. The only difference from this one and all the hundreds of others we've seen is this train is moving at 300 miles per hour. Hugh Jackman was good as usual. It really isn't that memorable a film, but it's well made and bill keep you entertained for a couple of hours. Expand
  35. Dec 2, 2013
    This movie was horrible! It was worse than X-Men Origins: The Wolverine! I can't imagine how people liked it! It was slow, boring & didn't even make sense. All the characters besides Wolverine were not memorable in the slightest. I was laughing out loud about how cheesy it was & my wife fell asleep. All these good reviews must be BS as this movie has no redeeming qualities outside of the X-Men: Days of Future Past preview during the credits. Expand
  36. Jul 28, 2013
    I'd say this was the second best Marvel movie thus far, after Avengers. Behind it, I would put Iron Man 1 & 2, Captain America and some of the x-men trilogy. The Spiderman movies would come after that...
  37. Dec 7, 2013
    This was an obvious stroke film for guys that like Asian women. And at what point did the Wolverine become an absolute weak that doesn't crush his opponents either through decapitation or through extreme bloody violence. This movie was an insult to the comic book series, and the studios need to stop now.
  38. Jul 26, 2013
    The Wolverine is a great film that restores my faith in the X-Men franchise. After the debacle that was X-Men Last Stand and Origins, I was completely turned off by the franchise. While X-Men First Class restored my faith, The Wolverine cemented it even further, with its focus on the psychology of the Wolverine. What is the price of immortality and what does that to a man? It's essentially a smaller film, and director James Mangold understood this fact. Kudos for Jackman, who has inhabited this role for 13 years! This is the role that made him a star and he knew it inside and out. Nods should be given to the Japanese casts, amazing considering the ladies were essentially first timers. The only qualm I have: after going to this realistic and gritty road, faithful to the comic, it went for a typical comic book style climax. Other than that though, a solid film and a great appetizer for X-Men Days of Future Past. Expand
  39. Aug 3, 2013
    I kid you not the absolute best part of this movie is after the credits has rolled and Marvel gives its fans a glimpse of the next X-men. THANK YOU FOR THE HOPE!!! I had to clap for that after credits clip.

So, let me dive straight into this review and sum this movie up in a way that HOPEFULLY everyone can relate to. Ok, you know how Fast and Furious's first two movies were excellent
    and you couldn't wait to see the next installment? Then you went to the theaters to see part 3 and you left the theatre with a question mark over your head thinking "what the hell did I just watch? What point was this movie trying to make? What the hell did this movie do to add to the Fast and Furious story? And why the hell are we in Tokyo!!??"

These are the same exact questions you will wonder after finishing The Wolverine.... And yes, just like Tokyo drift Marvel sends us to Japan to brush up on Japanese traditions and learn how not to insult residents.

To sum up, this movie is just pointless... Pointless plot, pointless villains and pointless protagonist. All equaling a pointless movie. Yesssss I understand the point was to show how Wolverine gets over Jean. But did we really need to see this whole movie in order to arrive to that point?
  40. Aug 10, 2013
    Oh boy, where do I begin? Let's start by saying that The Wolverine is comprised of 75% boring filler; the entire movie could have been done in 30 minutes and would have probably turned out better too. Honestly, I couldn't wait for it to be over! It didn't look or feel like an X-Men movie at all. There was only 2.5 mutants in the entire movie. Two and a half because one of them just had completely lame powers. At first I thought it might be neat to have a Japanese setting. I was ultimately wrong, as the movie quickly turned into crouch-rockets and samurai swords. The dialogue was boring, and the Japanese accents eventually made Hugh Jackman look completely out of place. The action parts were good, but it's nothing you haven't already seen. The plot seems like it was chosen out of a hat. The story starts off good, but it gradually gets worse the entire movie. The movie just felt very tired. Overall, I give The Wolverine 3/10. It just didn't deliver and felt like a pointless part of the series. How anyone could give this movie a positive review is beyond me. Expand
  41. Jul 30, 2013
    Some people may argue this point but in my opinion this is the best X-men film yet. (First class being runner up). As you can't treat a film that is 5th in a series, when it intentionally relates back to events in other movies, as stand alone, other movies must be mentioned. Briefly X-men 1,2,3 suffer the plight of a lot of comic book films. They feel satisfied to show you the characters without really many of the actors really owning them or doing anything unique with them. Halle Berry for instance can act. When she played storm though she went completely one dimensional. Comic books are things which have been adapted and re-interpreted for decades. And the transition to film has worked a lot better for some comics than others. X1 to X3 were treated as ensemble films with some actors getting bigger pieces than others, when they should have been treated more like overlapping story-line's with common characters. Truer to the medium.

This is the first X-man film to successfully get away from all that. Now X-man origins gave it a solid try but none of the characters, including a woefully underused gambit, were given any emotional depth in that film. X-men first class was a good ensemble film, but was still an ensemble film. None of the characters were particularly dynamic, though it was at least well done.

This film is about Wolverine. Now Wolverine as far as X-men go has always suffered the downside of being a bit too overpowered with his healing abilities. This film does a good job of making, and showing his fragile side. This is accomplished in two parts, with some unknown (Spoilers) ailment he suffers and with dream's/hallucinations of the late Jean Gray. Something which comes off as a bit odd because in X1-X3 she didn't have much of a romance story arc with wolverine. Even though she plays the roll in this film beautifully. In the comic she does and it would have been nice to be treated to maybe a scene near the beginning, a classy black and white of SOMETHING happening between those two. Maybe during a side mission somewhere around the events of X1 or X2. Just a little something to show their romance bloomed beyond anything rated G.
    Aside from hallucinations of Cyclops under-dressed girlfriend there is wolverines new found physical frailness to contend with. Frailty is something hard to execute correctly in film. Too much and your hero is a sissy. Not enough and you wonder what the holdup is. In this movie with some cinematic tricks reminiscent of the opening to saving private Ryan, they manage to show Hugh Jackman struggling with a weakness he is not used to, and they manage to a accomplish this with great success, and without holding him back.

The plot of this films is also quite good up until the last 20 minutes or so. People have commented the film lacks a real villain. And its true. But some stories aren't necessarily about bringing down the bad guy. A big part of this film is Wolverine trying to save someone, and trying to save himself spiritually in the process. To that end being attacked by numerous anonymous henchmen with no clear view who is after him works really well, though it was obviously simplified a bit in the adaptation.
    There are moments of comic book excellence in the cinematography where without anything being colored in, or split screened you can almost feel the artists vision leaping off of the page. And it is really cool when a film accomplishes that. So many comic book films try with those iconic images and fall so short.
    Having 90% of the film take place in a slightly stylized Japan also works really well as both the character and audience feel like they are on unfamiliar but quite beautiful ground.

I have three criticisms of this film. The first is in the ending of the film a couple of things happen for unclear reasons. Minor characters act in a certain way, uncharacteristic of what little we know of them. It comes off as sloppy and rushed. Secondly The scenes with Jean Gray need backing up. She was hauntingly beautiful for Wolverine's internal monologue, but if I didn't know the mythos it would have been creepy. Finally right at the end of the film something happens to wolverine's claws. And in the teaser of X-men future past this is apparently not corrected. But the last two things are minor annoyances really and the film makes me look forward to days of future past.

On the grand scale of comic book films, The dark Knight and Watchmen being the best, The second hulk and green hornet being the worst (of this iteration at least) This film falls short of being the best. But shows the franchise is capable of moving in the right direction. It just needs to keep going the same way it went with this film and carry it just a bit further.
  42. Jul 26, 2013
    Pretty decent Marvel-based movie. Wolverine is brutal as always. The story is OK, though Japanese/Yakuza/Ninja theme is not my piece of cake. There are some intense battle scenes, but nothing special overall.
  43. Nov 22, 2013
    Don't usually give things zeros since it is extreme but this is hands down one of the worst "big budget" movies I have ever seen. Horrible acting, writing, everything. The reason this film was made is because they have to make XMen movies every "X" amount of years to maintain the rights. I literally laughed out lout a few times the movie is THAT bad. I have a hard time believing any of the positive reviews aren't a joke. Expand
  44. Aug 25, 2013
    With this much superhero moviesne life wolverine had to be different and it deliverd. It is a refreshment in this genre It doesn`t pretend to be a part of a bigger story insted it`s a stand alone movie about events in wolverine`s life. Action sequences a great and the movie fun.
  45. Jul 28, 2013
    A couple of unwanted plot twists can't bring down the Wolverine movie we comic book fans always needed and wanted. James Mangold's "The Wolverine" is eye-catchingly well-shot, narratively straightforward, thrillingly designed, and featuring yet another brilliant performance from Hugh Jackman as the film's titular character.
  46. Aug 26, 2013
    Disappointed.
    That's how I felt after watching this movie. While the trailer makes this look fantastic, and it does follow the comics pretty well, the way this movie was put together just... it didn't look or feel right.

Acting was subpar for such a big movie and they definitely could have cast better in my opinion Hugh Jackman of course continues to do an excellent job portraying
    Wolverine, but everyone else just seemed so... fake. And bland. And downright terrible in some scenes.

Not as much action as I expected either, and yes there is barely any blood in this movie. Plus certain sequences were very very questionable in that some actions by the character just didn't make any sense (aka it felt forced and unnatural/illogical to advance the story in a certain way).

Locations and sets are nice, and special effects while limited are still done well enough as per the usual with Marvel movies. There are some funny moments with the usual Logan one-liners and a handful of good dialogue, but for the most part I was unimpressed by the writing.

Wait for the DVD/online stream or whatever you use for your non-theater movie-watching if you really want to see this.
  47. Jul 29, 2013
    Fans of the horrible Origins film filled with miscasted characters, forced plot with nothing attached to the true comic arc at all, and never a real take on who Logan is will hate this film. It has a tight script focusing on Logan as The Wolverine and no so much the X Men. If people were looking for X Men 4 they are not going to see it here. Its better. Logan is his own story and thats what they focused on and thats why I liked it. The major villian in this film isnt the Ninja's or Silver Sam it's Logan himself. If you cant see that then watch it again as a stand alone film not as a film attached to the X Men franchise. Its a look into Logan and why he is who he is. Expand
  48. Sep 10, 2013
    [5.8] This movie is almost enjoyable, it just doesn't seem like an X-Men movie, even if most X-Men movies aren't the strongest. Its plot is clearly its weak point, not only because of a sub-par script, but it just doesn't make sense as an X-Men movie. The dialogue isn't always bad, but it's clearly recycled. Easily forgettable, and only worth watching if you care about X-Men that much.
  49. Aug 10, 2013
    This movie is bad, plain and simple. Better than "Wolverine:Origins", but that's not saying much. The story is completely irrelevant and flat. The villains are generic and uninspired. The romance plot is forced and unbelievable. The stakes and character development are non-existent. The action is dry, shaky, bloodless and cartoonish. I feel bad for Hugh Jackman for once again not getting the script that he deserves. Expand
  50. Jul 27, 2013
    Great movie in general. Not to mention the best superhero movie of this summer so far! It is has a great plot that focuses more on character development than action. Dont miss this one!
  51. Jul 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Wolverine succeeds mostly by doing everything right that the Logan's first solo outing did wrong. Chiefly, focusing on the main character and not diluting his presence with a procession of weak, 4th tier mutants.

Using the Miller/Claremont run of Logan in Japan as a blueprint we find the Canadian moping after the final moments of The Last Stand and haunted by his actions. He is drawn into a conspiracy in Japan featuring Corporations, Ninjas and Yakuza.

Jackman obviously has Logan down to a fine art after 6 films and he plays well on screen with his new co-stars. I especially enjoyed his interactions with Yukio. The weak point in the cast may well be Viper. Not that she is particularly badly played, but her character seems misplaced and over the top in a film that is mostly grounded in reality.

The same can be said of the last act. The rest of the film is grounded in a gritty reality that is abandoned for a run of the mill bad guy show down that hits all the usual cliches. The plot also gets a little convoluted and it can be hard to keep check on who's aligned with who.

Quibbles aside, this is the best solo outing we could have hoped for after the dire Origins. It revives the character of Wolverine from the doldrums (First Class cameo not withstanding) and through a jaw dropping credits stinger sets up next years Days of Futures Past.
  52. Jul 28, 2013
    The wolverine is by far one of the best of the saga. I was on the edge of my seat enjoying ever scene and ill I g every second of this movie. I can't wait in the future of more films with huge jackman as the wolverine
  53. Jul 29, 2013
    for me ,the wolverine is one of best movies of super-heroes because i like wolverine and the scenario is very well .
    this sequel is very faithful to X Men The Last Stand
  54. Jul 26, 2013
    How it costs to write a real story? The japanese side of Wolverine´s past have a unique glamour and a pretty variety of contents to take on, but can Stan Lee agrees that this movie cannot be similar to HQ? It can be a great mistake! For HQ non-readers, it´s a just a movie, with no news, just a oridnary 'love and blood' movie. To Wolverine´s HQ fans it´s a deception! Silver Samurai´s saga cannot be re-writen with this weak history. Next X-Men, take care! Expand
  55. Jul 28, 2013
    The least said about the last one the better...This one is just awesome! It takes the character of Wolvie into new territory with some drama to it and we see a side of Logan we don't usually see. Add in some great action and the movie is just killer!
  56. Jul 28, 2013
    Don't know what movie the other reviewers saw, but this movie does not stay true to the comics. If you're a fan-boy, you may find yourself irritated by the absence of crucial aspects of Wolverine's character. Other aspects are just simply inaccurate. Hugh Jackman does indeed do an admirable job given the limited back-story he has to work with, and hey, no one looks better as Logan! I found myself disinterested with the story pretty early in and that feeling lasted throughout the remainder of the movie (I found it to be a very cut and paste approach to evolving the Wolverine character) I began simply looking forward to the next action scene, which didn't disappoint. Really not sure why this is an R rated movie... Expand
  57. Aug 10, 2013
    I was expecting a lot from The wolverine. This movie is totally disappointing. The story was not up to the mark. Moreover, there were lots of other villains that can be chosen. Overall it was boring too.
  58. Sep 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Not a bad movie, but not great either. It was a fun summer movie that had it's share of action, but also it's share of holes. I was a big fan of Wolverine growing up, but in the movies he's something less. He's supposed to be very old, and one of the best melee fighters, but he is constantly getting his butt kicked by practically every other melee fighter that he comes up against. He's been around a long time, you would think he has learned a few languages by this time, and become a bit more cultured, at least in knowing about the ways of other people. He still looks/acts like a barbarian in many ways, which I understand to be part of his character, but he's also potentially hundreds of years old and has had to have had a lot of different experiences and exposure to worldly ways. He was obviously in Japan many years ago, you would think he picked up a few tricks. I understand that he's supposed to be a wild badass, but why not give him some culture mixed in. It would have been awesome if he surprised them all and actually knew how to speak Japanese and more about their culture to give him some more depth, and ass a bit of mystery, to show he is not just a one dimensional thug. He's also very stealthy and ninja like in the comics, but in the movies he runs in without looking or thinking, no stealth at all. Among other plot holes and questionable scenes, I didn't get the backstory about the Viper and why she served Yashida? Overall a bit slow, and boring at times, but there was some good acting by Hugh Jackman, and some of the fight scenes were fun, but the story and script was flat. Expand
  59. Sep 21, 2013
    No fun! Few actions scenes, almost boring.
    The begining is fine but the rest of the movie is practically horrible and ridiculous. A big waste of money!!!
  60. Jul 26, 2013
    Better than Wolverine Origins but not by enough. Was good but not great, left wanting more. Have to say the preview for Days of Future Past after the credits looked like it will easily be the greatest X-men movie ever.
  61. Nov 24, 2013
    The movie was very flat, I love the films of mutants, but this only came in three, adding that the villain, Viber, was complete crap, devoid of personality second thought the movie was very regular, shooting bad.
  62. Jul 27, 2013
    Good solid movie for fans of the comic genre with lots of action. Don't forget to wait for the teaser preview of an up coming X-men movie during the beginning part of the credits.
  63. Aug 27, 2013
    I always feel that movies set in Japan are automatically at an advantage because of the inherent beauty and tradition that comes with the country which is why The Wolverine is such a colossal disappointment. When Logan (Hugh Jackman) saves a Japanese man's life in Hiroshima in 1945 he sets off chain reaction that brings about death and destruction in the present when Wolverine is summoned by the man so that he can say his goodbyes. While Jackman is a talented performer, The Wolverine is beyond saving as it is derivative, predictable and most of all, its boring. Working off a horrendous script by writers Mark Bomback and Scott Frank, director James Mangold shows a talent behind the camera for the action in the film with a high speed chase on a bullet train being a breathtaking piece of cinema but he fails to display emotion or evoke character out of his wooden performers. It's not entirely his fault, the acting is dire with both female leads dragging the film down. The constant references to X-Men: The Last Stand and the presence of Famke Janssen's Jean Grey reminds viewers of the nonsensical mess of a film that was, which should make The Wolverine look stellar by comparison but it only really makes you long for the days of Bryan Singers X films. While the film does try to fix the character of Logan, ridding him of some of his grief and shame, it just feels like a stop gap before Jackman is set to appear in the following X film, Days of Future Past. Ultimately its a feature that doesn't live up to its potential and makes light of its own story of redemption by having Logan murder countless numbers of people as if for sport making the whole movie a waste of anyone's precious time. Expand
  64. Aug 7, 2013
    5 points out of the 7 I have given the movie is solely attributable to Hugh Jackman's portrayal of Wolverine. I think he does a great job of capturing the internally conflicted and raging character of Logan. Showing both his strong and weak sides. The cinematography and capturing of the scenes in the various settings are also quite well done. Tao Okamoto is beautiful and she does a decent job portraying Mariko and the connection she has with Wolverine.

The movie lacks the existence of a strong villain and other mutants but corresponds decently by weakening Wolverine for a majority of the film. The story is somewhat predictable and the action was done quite well. What was missing from this movie was simply a degree of 'Wow' that made me get out of my seat. Perhaps a stronger Villain or the choice of a better Wolverine sidestory would have made this better....
  65. Jul 26, 2013
    I feel like if you are a fan of the Claremont/Miller miniseries you can't not like this. It does its best of keeping characters intact while deviating from the comics in the sake of a self contained story and grander character development. As a Wolverine fan it was nice to see a meaningful relationship blossom between Wolverine and Mariko, unlike the comics where it really is love at first sight. Instead here Wolverine falls in love not entirely with the character, but rather with the idea of being a protector, a take that is a welcome addition to the Claremont storyline. As for Silver Samurai and Viper, let us not forget they were involved in the X Men issues directly connecting to the Wolverine miniseries, their characters have undertaken slight adjustments in order to incorporate ideas from the Fatal Attractions storyline. I loved that some of the plot took from Wolverine's side of this storyline because it was one of the few times in the series where Logan did feel vulnerable. All in all I think its the best character study of Wolverine any fan could ask for. Wolverine struggles with his animalistic urges and his commitment to reform, he grapples to find meaning in his endless immortality, and he ultimately finds purpose, a purpose that is fulfilled in his return as an X-Man. None of these developments are significantly or profoundly discovered, rather they are slowly revealed, which may turn casual movie goers off from enjoying this film. As a thoughtful exploration of Wolverine's character and a grand homage to incredible source material though, how can any Wolverine fan say no to this movie? It is the best X-Men movie and one of the best comic based movies. Expand
  66. Nov 23, 2013
    For the most part it was sort of disappointing. The plot wasn't interesting at all. Having Jean Grey in it via hallucinations was so needless and pointless. The dialogue was just garbage and hurt by corny jokes that we have heard hundreds of times before. The action scenes are a massive miss as well. I think what saves and makes it worth watching is the mid-credits scene featuring the return of some very famous characters. Overall, It's better than Origins but no that big of a step up. Expand
  67. Aug 5, 2013
    I like the "X-men" films but not to the amount of an Avengers arc film(Iron Man, Captain America, Thor etc) so I give this movie some slack. I enjoyed the fight scenes very much except for the fact that he wasn't fighting mutants in this film, which I expected, but I really think that with the amount of time they used in this film(126 minutes) they could've made a way more decent film. The plot isn't that spectacular, but I guess since they're building up for the new X-men feature "Days of Future Past" they can't really give you anything great to work with since Wolverine has always been the main character in all the X-men films except "First-Class." I'd consider buying this on DVD, not a bad film. Expand
  68. Jul 30, 2013
    An action packed superhero movie that combines great superheroes with awesome samurai action. A great hero, an awesome villain, and great girls. What could be better. By the way, I'm not going to spoil it for you, but there is a mid-credits scene, and you don't want to miss it, so don't leave the theater until he credits are over.
  69. Jul 27, 2013
    Stay for the credits on this one, you won't be disappointed. The Wolverine manages to wash away the frothy and dirty taste of the X-men Origins movie before it and gives the best PG-13 Wolverine movie that could have been accomplished. The action is fluid and vicious, the stabs are bloody, the violence is gritty, but there's enough depth to it to really sink into. The train sequence and some flashbacks in particular really shine. The last 20 minutes seemed to drag a little bit, and there's a rather predictable ending. All negatives aside I really enjoyed this movie, the after credits sequence again is one of the best I've ever seen and Hugh Jackman is in perfect form as Wolverine. There's talk of an R-rated cut on the DVD and one can't help but imagine how the film would be like that but I suppose we'll find out when the DVD releases. Overall really enjoyable film that I would give a solid recommendation to any action fan and X-men fans especially. Expand
  70. Sep 25, 2013
    Embarrassingly awful. I cringed throughout the whole thing. I so wanted it to be good. Bad acting and stale plot. The whole just felt incredibly done before.
  71. Aug 3, 2013
    the wolverine is none more than a mediocre movie for me, I am a big fan of x man movies and comics in general, when I came to wolverine I was hyped, and in the end after the end of the movie I had a feeling that all of this movie had one purpose, and that purpose is to promote x men days of future past. this movie doesn't got connection to anything, the only character that there is actually in the comics and in the movies is wolverine and gin as flashbacks. ok lets talk about the ending after the credits. you see Logan two years after the events of the movie with magneto and Xavier and they are saying they need is help, and then I understood the all purpose of this movie promoting x men days of future past. but really this all movie is about protecting a Japanese girl that Logan never heard about. and also in this movie there is more romance than action. I didn't spent my money on a romance movie, well I did but I didn't knew it yet. I am not saying this movie is bad but I am not saying its a good movie either. if you want to go to this movie because you are a x men fan so just don't. but if you want to go to this movie because you want to just see a movie that has connection to nothing and you just want to have fun I am highly recommending it actually. but I think that most of the people that are going to this movie going because they are x men fan. Expand
  72. Jul 31, 2013
    It takes a special kind of talent to make the X-Men's most popular character boring. Poor editing, terrible characterization (James aka Logan doesn't speak Japanese and didn't train/study in Japan? ARE YOU KIDDING ME??) flat action sequences, and awful direction from James Mangold made this movie exactly what I thought it would be. When Darren Aronofsky was on board to direct it seemed like I was gonna get the Wolverine film I'd always wanted with substance and a less-is-more style, rather than lots of yelling and poorly choreographed action scenes. Even when Aronofsky left the project, (handing of it off to James Mangold, the man behind such classics as Knight & Day, 3:10 to Yuma and Girl Interrupted), I still held out hope that some of Aronofsky’s original vision could carry over to this new version of the story, but it seems I was wrong. I'd have rather spent two and half hours watching the old Saturday morning X-Men cartoons. F this movie. Expand
  73. Aug 5, 2013
    I love the wolverine comics and this movie, sad but true, it is far too bad to share the same name of the franchise. Bad direction, bad script, a lot of no senses.... This movie made Die Hard 5 looks good
  74. Aug 28, 2013
    As expected this was a great addition to the X-Men series that focuses on just Wolverine, and it was an improvement on the first solo Wolverine film. It's a little more serious and less corny than previous installments which is a very good thing, and has a few twists & turns in there as well as plenty of Action. Jackman once again proves that he was the right choice for this character as he has delivered every time he portrays him. Overall great stuff, and stick around during the credits! Expand
  75. Jul 26, 2013
    I really enjoyed The Wolverine, a huge step up from the misfire that was Origins. It most certainly stuck true to the comics, and for a Marvel movie, was very intense. Much better than Man of Steel.
  76. Jan 3, 2014
    X Men Origins Wolverine was funnier than this, but The Wolverine is still one of the most amusing movies of 2013.

No I'm not writing a review of a different movie in the wrong place The Wolverine suffers from being unintentionally funny, much like X Men Origins Wolverine.

The acting is half decent and respectable Hugh Jackman surprisingly giving the weakest performance, and the
    special effects top rate (but what do you expect it's an X Men movie). Those are the only fully positive things I have to say about The Wolverine, with the exception of it not being boring.

While they have good CGI and aren't filmed badly the action scenes are way too overblown and unrealistic to be taken seriously, which is a major problem because there are lots of them. Samurai ninja's appear at one point to kill The Wolverine. Why? Earlier in the movie they just got people with guns to kill Logan, why the sudden change? Oh that's right, because it's set in Japan! I'm not saying it's racist, I'm saying it's a totally reason to put samurai ninja's in the movie. Because nowadays superhero movies are aimed at 4 year olds there isn't a lot of plot, but the very small amount of it is also ridiculous and too unrealistic to take seriously, there is a giant robot samurai suit controlled by a dying old man. End of argument. As for the twist near the end, I didn't see it coming but it's still terrible.

Maybe I'm being too harsh on The Wolverine? Movies like The Rock, White House Down and Undercover Brother have had ridiculous plots and cliched scenes but I have still enjoyed them. That's because they are intentionally flawed and meant to be cheesy, The Wolverine tried and failed to be serious. Hugely disappointing.
  77. Jul 26, 2013
    Fortunately, Mangold keeps things running smoothly until the last half-hour and, in the end, accomplishes what he wanted: to do right by the great Wolverine comic book mini-series written by Chris Claremont and illustrated by Frank Miller. As such, The Wolverine ranks among the better X-Men movies along with Bryan Singer’s first two installments and Matthew Vaughn’s X-Men: First Class even though its artistic compromises prevent it from reaching greatness. One last note: The Wolverine features post-converted 3D that adds little to the film and makes the dark scenery even murkier, so those who are picky about the premium ticket prices are advised to go for a 2D screening. Also, be sure to stay after the end titles begin there is indeed a mid-credits scene that’s worth waiting around for. Expand
  78. Dec 18, 2013
    I really enjoyed all of the X-Men based movies, great fun, great stories and great action everything required for a few hours of popcorn escapism.
    Well The Wolverine takes all that, scrunchies it into a ball and chucks it in the bin.
    Nonsense from start to finish, more lazy incoherent writing from the mass-producing Hollywood clowns.
    It's all about the bucks and nothing to do with the
    audience, I mean do the producers and writers actually watch the tripe before they dish it out to the public?? On this evidence, I think not. Expand
  79. Aug 4, 2013
    To my surprise this film is quite good. Largely because it focuses on story with well timed and poignant dialog. The use of action sequences and the superhero elements as support instead makes for a very entertaining movie.
  80. Aug 16, 2013
    I was hoping for something a little more special, but what you get is solid. Hugh Jackman is great as Wolverine like always and I can't wait to see him more in the future. B
  81. Aug 11, 2013
    For sure, it's a lot better than X-Men Origins, but it's not exactly the best superhero movie ever made. Director James Mangold knows what he's doing this time around and does it to the best of his abilities. Overall, it's the Wolverine movie people have been expecting. Be sure to check out my YouTube channel "TheMovieManLife" for all things movies.
  82. Jul 28, 2013
    Just like Tom Cruise in Oblivion, Hugh Jackman in his Wolverine shows off GYM pack body throughout the movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  83. ERB
    Jul 27, 2013
    Nice and exciting movie can't wait for It's sequel.
  84. Aug 7, 2013
    Here is my video review for the film

Short Conclusion:
    Those who are not easily satisfied may not enjoy this film. But I think those looking for a good time, a few laughs and some great action scenes will enjoy it. The Wolverine has been universally acknowledged as an improvement on X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Rotten Tomatoes gave it 68% and
    IGN gave it 8.5 but I’m going to side with seasoned film critics here and give it a 7/10. Expand
  85. Jul 26, 2013
    This past weekend at San Diego Comic Con, Toys and Geek was able to catch an early screening of “The Wolverine”, introduced by none other than Hugh Jackman himself and the film’s director James Mangold.
    After a few comments regarding the film, its challenges and goals the lights dimmed and those lucky enough to get inside the small theater in downtown San Diego got see the movie in its
    entirety.
    And the result, I’m happy to say, was a success.
    After the bad taste the last Wolverine film left in my mouth (not to mention X-Men 3) I was a bit hesitant about what we would get this time around. However those fears where quickly laid to rest during the opening moments of the movie.
    If it was the director’s goal for the film to grab your attention from the get go, then he succeeded. The first few minutes of the film are also some of its most intense. I’ll try to keep this as spoiler free as possible but let’s just say it starts off in Japan during one of the most terrifying events in that nations history. In fact, 90% of the film is set in Japan and the change of scenery from the typical “New York, Chicago, Los Angles, was a welcome one.
    The movies opening also fits in with the overall theme, which James Mangold pointed out before the showing was “Everything the Wolverine loves, dies”. And we get to see the effects this has on Logan, particularly the death of Jean Grey, aka The Phoenix, who died at the hands (or claws) of Wolverine at the end of X-Men 3. I was happy to see the return of Famke Janseen who reprises her role of Jean Grey and was in the movie a lot more than I thought she would be. But we soon discover that Wolverine’s psyche isn't as indestructible as his Adamantium skeleton. In this regard Hugh Jackman does a good job of giving the character a bit more depth and also makes him more relatable than in previous installments. While some of the supporting cast feels at times underused, Rila Fukushima, who plays Yukio does a great job. Her fight scenes are some of the best in the movie and she adds some well placed humor to the film.
    Another aspect I appreciated about the movie was that in a world in which “comic book” movies are often dominated by CGI, this film was surprisingly “human” for a lack of a better word. Not that I am anti-special effects by any means however this movie didn’t trout out an endless stream of mutants. There were no cities being destroyed. No larger than life “Super Villain”. Although I enjoyed The Man of Steel, some felt the mass destruction and CGI special effects where a bit much. The Wolverine takes a different path. The fight scenes for the most part are intense and personal, often showcasing the martial art skills of the cast. The result, I felt was a much more personal story and one I left the theater feeling satisfied with.
    The one sour note of the movie was oddly enough the villains. Fans of the Silver Samurai may feel disappointed with how the character is portrayed and how much screen time he actually gets. And the Viper, played by Svetlana Khodchenkova, felt a bit underdeveloped. But this movie is more about Logan’s personal demons than with fighting an arch enemy. His battles with what he has lost in his life versus what he has to look forward to along with weighting the benefits of his mutant powers against the costs are at center stage here. To that end, I would encourage moviegoers to enter the theater with an open mind. Look to go on an adventure and be entertained for a couple of hours. In that regard you won’t be disappointed. The Wolverine delivers a fun and exciting experience.
  86. Jul 26, 2013
    2009's X-men Origins: Wolverine was received negatively by both critics and the majority of the fans of the character. Now the character has a chance to redeem himself with this year's the Wolverine and for the most part he does. This film has really tried to please the fans as it was loosely based on the beloved Japan story line from the comics and it is clear that the film has tried to fix the problems that were complained about in the previous solo Wolverine film. Despite taking place after the events of X-men: The Last Stand this film attempts to distance itself from the rest of the X-men characters and story and focuses solely on the Wolverine character and as a result this film feels very different to all previous X-men films. This allows for the best portrayal of Wolverine's character that we have seen so far and Hugh Jackman also delivers his best performance of the character to date. I really enjoyed the pacing of the film as well because although it was a face paced action film it wasn't afraid to slow things down and develop the characters and the relationships between them. However it never slows down for too long before it picks up the pace with another action scene. The action in this film is also very well done because every sequence is creative and has a purpose so it never feels like the mindless action we've come to expect in big budget summer films. Humour is also used effectively in this film as the writers take advantage of Wolverine's IDGAF attitude. However the film isn't perfect as there is one other mutant character that occasionally seems slightly out of place and some people might find her character a bit too over the top. Also from time to time it does feel like they are playing it too safe to insure that they don't make any of the same mistakes as the last Wolverine film. Overall The Wolverine, although not perfect, is a fun superhero film that gets a lot of things right about what makes the Wolverine character so popular. Expand
  87. Jul 27, 2013
    Good story.Good acting.In movie,some scene is very slow,to talk about Wolverine and Mariko Yashida 's love story.It just can cut some.Some character and Scene can delete,like Viper .The Secret Endings is very surprise.One of good x-men movie even made.
  88. Jul 31, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The movie acted like it had to make up a problem for wolverine to solve as is it stays true to the wolverine character, it affiliates itself with characters X-men/Wolverine fans really don't care for aka (The person who Wolverine saves the main villan, His bodyguard. And many more I feel as if the characters weren't given names seriously name three (not including wolverine.) The action was good and the point to the story was... for Wolverine to lose his claws and get hooked up with some Japanese girls? Seriously that's what I got from the story. The action is good, Story ok not as good as origins, but not a complete disaster. Expand
  89. Jul 31, 2013
    "The Wolverine" is the best presentation of Logan's adventures. Filled with darkness story is ideally suited for this superhero. The mood of the story enhances the music composed by Marco Beltrami, which perfectly captures the atmosphere. In the land of the rising sun, the samurai steel intersects with the adamantium claws. The battle scenes are visionary presented. And the fight on the top of the train between Wolverine and Yakuza gang is one of the best scenes in this film. Director James Mangold skilfully presents the conflict of the main character, who must confront not only with new enemies but also with his dark past. But the best revelation of this film is the phenomenal performance by Hugh Jackman, who is just excellent for this role! Starting today when I hear Wolverine I can only see Hugh Jackman. Expand
  90. Aug 1, 2013
    The wolverine is a really good movie not the best movie ever but a seriously good movie. It is a really solid action movie and its got great scenes filmed well and the story is pretty solid yet simplistic. It is one of the best xmen related movies yet better than xmen origins wolverine and the other 3 but falling just low of first class. Watch it if you can and also a really good reveal for the next xmen movie after the credits so stay for that. Expand
  91. Aug 3, 2013
    Was a decent movie until the horrible final scene that steal all sense to the plot....a lot of things at the end doesn't have a logic; also the action sequences were so bad made (I can't believe that awful battle on the roof of a train...) exept one; Wolverine vs Silver Samurai was one of the better superhero duel ever seen in my opinion (even still so far respect on Superman vs Zod or Hulk vs Abomination).
    At least better than "X-men origins: Wolverine", but Jackman should be used in a better movie...
  92. Aug 5, 2013
    "The Wolverine" proves itself to be a highly engaging thriller as far as this summer's line-up of films. If you loathed the previous origin film, you owe it to yourself to see this revival of the awesomeness that is the Wolverine.
  93. Aug 10, 2013
    This review was published on www.Pixcelation.com by Andrew Korkmas.

The only way to start this review off is to say the following: I was pumped for “The Wolverine.” I like Japanese culture and I like seeing Hugh Jackman beat the bejesus out of people. I thought that these two things were a recipe for success. What I didn’t suspect was that despite the movie’s reverence to Japanese
    culture and indeed footage of Hugh Jackman taking out baddies, “The Wolverine” would ultimately fall in mediocre category.

The story follows the titular character’s chronicles in Japan. It starts as a simple visit to a dying friend and turns into preventing assassination plots on the young granddaughter of said friend faster than you can say “Psylocke” (a character who is not present in the movie. Sorry fans). The plot might’ve been interesting had either one of two things not happened: 1. The trailers spoiled far too much of it. And 2. It didn’t move at a normal pace. Yes “The Wolverine” now joins “Man of Steel” in the sluggish sloth story department. And like my viewing of “Man of Steel,” I almost fell asleep several times during the movie. If you haven’t seen the trailers then there might be some plot elements that keep you entertained but otherwise you’ll likely be checking your watch thinking to yourself “OK so, how much longer do I have to wait till someone gets stabbed?”

For the most part, the acting all around is fairly uninteresting. Hugh Jackman does fine but everyone else doesn’t seem to put forth much of an emotional effort. None of the acting struck me as bad but nothing came close to impressing either. Though seeing as this is an action movie perhaps very few really care about this so let’s move on to the good stuff.

The action goes from interesting to tiresome depending on the scene. The bullet train battle was lively and creative (to a point) while the first action scene (a shoot out and chase sequence) was pretty forgettable. This problem is only worsened by, at times, some truly terrible cinematography. In said forgettable shoot out and chase sequence, the cameraman seemed to have taken a couple of Red Bulls because the camera bobs around incessantly for seemingly no reason and many shots are done so close to the action that it only obscures the fighting. Even in the more entertaining fights the camerawork never seems to do anything remotely spectacular.

One thing that many of the good “X-Men” movies have done is give a plethora of mutants with kick-ass powers. Unfortunately, “The Wolverine” seems to be in short supply of mutants and even the ones they offer are pretty forgettable. The Silver Samurai does show up for the last fight (as a robo-suit of sorts) and the fight is somewhat entertaining so at least there’s that.

I suppose I’ll end this review by saying the following: despite the fact that almost every poster of the movie features Wolverine wielding a katana, he does not ever use a katana save for a single moment right near the end. I don’t consider spoilers so much as preparing the viewer lest they receive the colossal let down that I did. But in the end, I found that I just didn’t care about the movie. It’s not really good and it’s not really bad either. I’ve only seen it once and don’t really plan to see it again. You could do much worse than seeing “The Wolverine” in theatres just as you could do much better in seeing another movie like “Pacific Rim.”

“The Wolverine” gets a 5/10.
  94. Aug 26, 2013
    If you like martial arts you might want to check out the new WOLVERINE movie. I don’t know why they call the movie “WOLVERINE” cuz Hugh Jackman has nothing to do with any of the plot of characters until the last 10 minutes of the movie if you exclude the brief yet passionless encounter between Jackman and a young woman. But the Wolverine does make an interesting ally for the movie’s warring gang factions. I suppose the producer also needed a ‘superstar’ to pander his Kung Fu movie since Hugh Jackman is the only white guy along with some toxic blond who struts around in Jimmy Chu’s and spends most of the movie deep throating her venomous forked tongue into unsuspecting male admirers. Again, why this character is in the movie, makes no sense other than erotic and to push the envelope of the R rating. This having been said, the movie was only okay because the ‘flow’ (I use the term loosely) is constantly interrupted by the need for another martial arts battle. It got boring for me after like the 10th battle and each battle goes on for a while.The giant metal samurai battle at the end was laughable, sorry. Its probably me and I don’t mean to sound jaded (no pun intended) but after having seen Crouching Tiger nothing really impresses me in this arena. If you’re going to do a 2 hr. martial arts movie you had better have awesome dialogue and impressive plot/characters.With the exception of Wolverine this had neither. So going full circle, this is why the movie is called WOLVERINE. But don’t be disheartened X-Men fans. There was an interesting ‘teaser’ at the end with Magneto and Xavier which shows promise for the NEXT X-Men Wolverine release. On the upside PIXAR and DISNEY have a slew of new releases coming out in genuine ADHD guaranteed to keep the little tikes bouncing off the wall way past their bedtime. Expand
  95. Aug 28, 2013
    Es una película de mutantes con pocos mutantes, sigo pensando que no logran atinar con la personalidad del Wolverine de las comics, las escenas de acción le dan un pequeño respiro a la película pero son muy cortas.
  96. Sep 5, 2013
    I'd say mediocre. Stereotyped story events, not innovative, not so violent like i would expect from Wolverine background.
    A mutant villain with no purpose that finds a difficult spot in the plot, a mutant ally with a nonsense power, and a giant robot just because, maybe due to the Japanese background.
    The beginning IMHO was good, but after just Hugh Jackman as Wolverine saved a bit the movie.
  97. Sep 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Hugh Jackman finally got the lead in his own movie! After being associated with X-Men Origins and more, The Wolverine delivered the entertainment value we hoped for in this film.

The movie trails Logan (Hugh Jackman) and his journey to Japan to be thanked by Yashida, (Hal Yamanouchi) who Logan saved as a young soldier. Yashida was very sick and wanted Logan's power of immortality so he can be healthy again. We see Yashida die, and learn that his company has been left to Yashida's granddaughter, Mariko (Tao Okamoto) and not his corrupt son. She becomes the new owner Yashida Technology and her life is immediately in danger as the others try to kill her and take over the company.

Meanwhile, Viper (Svetlana Khodchenkova) kisses Wolverine in what seems to be an unrelated scene. Wolverine gets injured and doesn’t heal. Logan and the audience begin to uncover the plot to steal Logan’s powers. We learn that Viper passed Wolverine a spider in the kiss which now lives on his heart and neutralizes his powers, making him vulnerable. We follow Logan through his attempt to retrieve his power and save Yashida's granddaughter, Mariko.

Between the amazing (mostly CGI (computer-generated imagery)) fight scenes, and the quality of the cast's acting, I really enjoyed the film. There was a great fight scene in the film, (also featured in the trailer) on the top of a bullet train. Logan's bone claws dug into the train to keep his position. When he would take them out to dodge objects or fight, he would lose contact with the train which was traveling below him at 300MPH. He would then literally fly above the train. It thought that was a truly amazing effect.

What I didn't like was the flaw in Logan's vulnerability. After counting four gunshots to the chest, and a knife to the elbow, Logan still managed to fight and get around as if he still had his regular abilities. He didn’t even seem to worry about the wounds for a whole day, which made that period of the movie feel fake to me. I also am not sure what it is with Hugh and his shirt off. Seriously, 40% of his screen time is spent shirtless. It got to a point where the 44 year old man should have just put a shirt on. Also, there are a few shaky camera scenes when Logan is running and the camera is following him. I know it is supposed to add a level of intensity to the film, but it’s not intense when you start to get dizzy. The dizziness occurred at least twice, during my viewing of the film. Despite the few things I didn't like about The Wolverine, I mostly enjoyed it and was entertained. After hearing about the amazing spoiler in the credits, I stayed after everyone else in the theater left to see what it was all about. If you do not want to hear about this scene, I recommend you ignore the rest of the review.

It is two years later and Logan is going through airport security. The x-ray is beeping like crazy and metal objects near him are floating. He quickly turns around to find Magneto behind him in line. As they are talking, time stops except for the two of them, Professor Xavier rolls up near them. He looked almost too perfect and produced from CGI (computer-generated imagery). As in the first X-Men Wolverine, Xavier says the same sentence. “It’s as I told you when we first met, Logan, you're not the only one with special gifts." This to me was the first reveal of the future 2014 X-Men movie, Days Of Future Past.
  98. Nov 7, 2013
    Well the movie reminded me of a 80's cheesy film. Jackman did a good job with his acting, but everything else was cheesy, predictable, and some what boring. I mean Ninjas on motorbikes on top of the roofs and on a snowy ice cover roof at that, then flying around, I mean it was stupid really.
    The bad guy (girl) was a typical Hollywood garbage we seen a million times, ya know talks slow and
    sarcastic and the producer tries to wedge in sexiness into the way they act and talk, yawn, yeah we seen this before and it is pathetic and getting tiresome.
    Not to mention the anti-hunter thing in the beginning of the movie, typical left wing BS portraying hunters as all a bunch of idiots and of course the animals life is more important that a persons life. Pathetic and sick.
    Hollywood pumps out more propaganda and garbage any more, and this is just another one of those kind of movies.
  99. Jan 5, 2014
    This was just a bad movie on so many levels, plot, characters, etc. Hugh Jackman was good and the only reason one would even want to torture themselves to see this garbage. I love the X-Men original movies, the comics, and the cartoon, but this movie ruined the franchise. The actors were really bad and such a silly ending, this movie needed better fight scenes, actors, and plot...fire the director! Expand
  100. May 2, 2014
    This is how you ruin an amazing character who was part of an amazing franchise. The Wolverine is overly boring, with a ridiculous screenplay, laughable action sequences and awful nonsense villains.

1. Reviewed by: Claudia Puig
    Jul 28, 2013
    An intermittently exciting action film anchored by a strong performance by Jackman, who embodies Wolverine like no one else could.
    Slapped with the generic title The Wolverine, the fifth feature-length appearance of Hugh Jackman’s X-Man John Logan is basically "The Bad News Wolverine Goes to Japan" and is not especially world-shaking.
  3. Reviewed by: Rene Rodriguez
    Jul 28, 2013
    The post-conversion 3D is more distracting than anything else, but the rest of this surprisingly fun entertainment is as sharp as the hero’s claws.