CBS Films | Release Date: September 7, 2012
Generally favorable reviews based on 85 Ratings
WATCH NOW
GreatMartinSep 7, 2012
IndiefilmloverSep 11, 2012
"The Words" is by no means a great film, but it is not a dreadful film either. It tells the story of a struggling writer (Bradley Cooper), who is faced with the choice to pass off another writer's novel as his own. Because so much of the"The Words" is by no means a great film, but it is not a dreadful film either. It tells the story of a struggling writer (Bradley Cooper), who is faced with the choice to pass off another writer's novel as his own. Because so much of the story rests on the writer's thoughts and not on his external actions, the material does not lend itself well to a visual medium like film. Also in a day and age where publishing is dominated by nonfiction, novelizations of movies and genre fiction, it's hard to image someone risking so much in the pursuit of wealth and fame as a novelist of literary fiction. Rather than pass a novel as his own, more likely someone would use a novel as the basis for a screenplay, where it could be potentially sold for a substantial amount of money. With rare exceptions, the goal from the sale of literary fiction would more realistically lead to a professorship at a prestigious university.

However, given the limitations of the story, the filmmakers do their best to make it visual and to subvert expectations. In other words, the story doesn't always go into an obvious direction, but without going into specifics, it doesn't always follow a logical path.

For those yearning for something a bit smarter than the average mass market pictures, "The Words" is worth consideration. The cast including Cooper do a good job given the limitations of the material. Zoe Saldana is totally underutilized in the film. She is relegated to the "supportive wife" role where most of her scenes involve her either flirting or encouraging her beau in some way.
SantiagoMAKiiNASep 17, 2012
The marketing machinery behind this film would have you believe this is some kind of romantic film. And they are right as far as the "some kind" is concerned. However this is much more than the simple premise of love amongst people.
The
The Words turns out to be more of a psychological exploration in the exercise of denial and solitude. Although the pieces are hard to put together before the very last sixty seconds of the film.
For all of you who would be paying close attention to well laid out visuals, there is a particularly relevant scene about thirty minutes into the movie. It is more of a flash. The first time our hero is laying in bed and can't get the newfound story out of his mind. That first dream, or possibly even nightmare. It begins with him hugging his wife from behind by the stove. And in a flash we see both him and her in that same French time period as if they were the characters of the story from the past. In fact, portraying the same hug...
For some reason, those few frames stayed with me until the end of the film, and it served me well, since they become particularly relevant when Dennis Quaid finally reveals to Olivia Wilde what has really been going on all along.
I enjoyed the intricacy of this romantic puzzle very much, and I had planned to lay it out for you in these words. But I'd rather you watch it on your own and enjoy it as I did. All I'll say is this:
Don't assume this movie is what it seems. It's purposely disguised as a simple romantic premise. Pay attention to detail. Specially the similarities between the couple's New York apartment and the French apartment. And the parallel in events from past to present as certain elements are revealed amongst both couples. It's not a coincidence.
OneManCrowdSep 11, 2012
The romaticization of the struggling author is perhaps the most captivating aspect of The Words. Although there is a deeper, psychological facet that the film seems to try to convey, the most intriguing part is the process in which Rory Jansen
analogkid280Sep 16, 2012
A weak 6 not a strong one. It has the worst ending in Hollywood history! You are sitting there mildly enjoying this movie and then barf! The movie just stops. This movie has one redeeming quality that maintains my attention and makes thisA weak 6 not a strong one. It has the worst ending in Hollywood history! You are sitting there mildly enjoying this movie and then barf! The movie just stops. This movie has one redeeming quality that maintains my attention and makes this movie worth watching. That is the Dennis Quaid factor. That man is the worst actor I have ever seen! I just love watching his movies just like I like watching train wrecks. I have seen that man march across frozen tundra, get punched by schizophrenic aliens, even get eaten by Jaws. I can surely watch him do what he does best... stand up in front of a podium like a stiff board and read from a teleprompter. Expand
MovieGuysApr 15, 2014
The Words opens with a muddled plot and confusing flashbacks, but eventually by the middle it all gets sorted out. However, the movie just never seems to work out, even with a great performance by Jeremy Irons and an okay but decidedlyThe Words opens with a muddled plot and confusing flashbacks, but eventually by the middle it all gets sorted out. However, the movie just never seems to work out, even with a great performance by Jeremy Irons and an okay but decidedly unfulfilled performance from Cooper. The main failure is how the movie has a sense of false confidence and thinks it's more clever than it is. Ironic to the story and hypocritical to its message, The Words feels like elements in its story are plagiarized from so many previous movies. Expand