7.7

1. Jan 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A missed oppurtunity. For me this could have been the best film of the Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz trilogy but ended up being the worst. I thought the premise was brilliant; a group of middle aged friends getting together to re-live their youth and going on a pub crawl. The Gary King character was really interesting in that he was living in the past and I really wanted to discover why he did that. The soundtrack was also fantastic, based on the madchester/shoegazing sound from the early nineties. Things were going really well as the characters started their pub crawl, exchanging anecdotes about their past and getting on famously. Ironically for me the film start unraveling once they introduced the robot aliens to the story. To be honest I think if would have been a much better film had they dropped the aliens altogether as from then on we got a series of overblown chase sequences ending up with Gary giving his "We are humans and you can't tell us what to do!" speech with the aliens responding "oh, alright then we'll leave" before blowing up the town and leaving the whole world reverted to a kind of mad-max existence. The whole of the last 5 minutes felt as though it belonged in a different film. Such a shame, this could have been such a good film. Expand
  2. May 25, 2014
    A surprising last entry in the 'Cornetto Trilogy' but it's not the type of surprise that's entirely positive...

Let me start off by saying that I was, and still am, a huge fan of Shaun of the Dead, and an even bigger fan of Hot Fuzz, so when I heard about a third Edgar Wright film starring the classic Pegg and Frost combination where the plot focused on a good ol' fashioned English piss up that then turned into an Alien invasion bash-up, I shat myself in anticipation. As you can tell by my 6/10 score though, I probably wasted a good pair of pants doing so.

The first act does well to hype you up for the rest of the film. Pegg as an insane '90s replica with legs is humorous to behold but it seems as though it was the actor's weakest role in the trilogy. Don't get me wrong, Gary King is well written and pretty unique, but I'm not sure, I just feel as though it's a familiar actor playing an unfamiliar character. Frost is good as a character that's basically the reverse of King, but the rest of the main cast are almost identical to him in premise and that can come off as a bit unoriginal at times. Nevertheless, the first half of the film is great in a satirical, traditional English setting with hilarious dialogue as expected. My hype for seeing Pegg and Frost pissed up was almsot entirely satisfied...

Then it gets to the Aliens...

I know it's not very important, but the Aliens in this film are boring beyond belief. They're basically cyborgs with a robotic behavior replacing any sort of personality. Again, it's not a huge problem because the focus is supposed to be on Pegg and the gang, but it can be a bit distracting during dialogue and heated action sequences. It's just... we've seen this kind of stuff before so it seems uninspired and makes me lose a little too much interest in the story as a whole.

Without giving anything away, the end of the film is pretty unusual and surprising, not your typical happy ending in the slightest. I won't ruin it, but just don't expect everything to work out just fine like I did. While we're on the subject of the end though, the 'network' A.I thing voiced by Bill Nighy is also incredibly unoriginal and dull, although again there is a few laughs to be had with his dialogue. Yet again, I know it's not supposed to be the focus, but this to me was a bit of a wasted potential for what could have been some fresh and original Aliens, and maybe like, they would come to Earth seeking Beer or something? Wouldn't THAT have been pretty interesting? But I digress...

The action is pretty good and at least half of the movie's dialogue generates some chuckles, but I had high hopes for the finale in a trilogy I could have adored, and they just weren't met. It's an A-Grade Popcorn Movie, but other than that there isn't all that much else here. I'd definitely recommend Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead before I would even mention this one, so go see those if you haven't.
  3. Sep 17, 2013
    It is a comedy Si-Fi- Apocalypse story. A gang of 5, old school friends, get together to finish what they tried at school but failed:
    to attend 12 pubs in a raw in one night. "The World's End" is the name of the last, the twelve's pub.
    There are some funny lines, there is an interesting twist somewhere is the middle but overall I was not impressed. I have to admit that there are

I have to admit that there are very few comedies that I really like. But they do exist. This one was not one of those, even though there were excellent actors involved:

Eddie Marsan (who is in my opinion, one of the best British actors), Sam Chamberlain, and others.
  4. May 11, 2014
    Extremely overrated. This is nothing more than a tired concept. There really isn't anything original here. Besides moments of some humor and cleverness, the rest is just whatever. The ending was a total joke.
  5. Oct 5, 2013
    The ending was crap. The movie was overall good but the ending felt lazy and uninspired. It was a nice change of pace to see Pegg and Frost reversing their roles and the supporting cast were good, even though they felt a bit thin as far as character development. It's funny but the ending was just so dissappointing and, sadly, the thing that really sticks out.
  6. Feb 28, 2014
    Inspired by it's score I gave it a spin. And honestly - I want my time back. This movie just doesn't add up in any way.. For some time it tries to be serious and just when you start to get the feeling that there will be a moral at the end or just a bit of sense in it.. the blue thing pops up. And it goes completely bananas.Unfortunately, not in a good way. It's acted rather poorly, theInspired by it's score I gave it a spin. And honestly - I want my time back. This movie just doesn't add up in any way.. For some time it tries to be serious and just when you start to get the feeling that there will be a moral at the end or just a bit of sense in it.. the blue thing pops up. And it goes completely bananas.Unfortunately, not in a good way. It's acted rather poorly, the script doesn't make any sense and the whole thing looks like it was written in the same way the whole thing acts out - completely drunk.
    If you want a good Pegg move - go see Paul.
  7. May 3, 2014
    I had to double check this rating as the movie was absolutely ridiculous and not worth the time that it takes to watch, let alone any possible price that could be attached. Perhaps it holds some insider geek-of-film lure that I am missing. If so, I am content with missing it, and am reminded not to be further misled by "film critics".
  8. Nov 21, 2013
    Simon Pegg and the rest of the cast are great and the first half of the movie is awesome, but during the second half it gets a little too weird. This is another good movie with Simon Pegg but Shaun of the Dead is way better. Overall Score= 68/100
  9. Aug 26, 2013
    I would say that many of the moments are played too serious. I was really looking forward to this movie, but it wasn't as funny as I had hoped, and did not take advantage of the brilliant pub crawl concept. I would have liked different threats at each pub. Perhaps a two headed dog at The Two Headed Dog. Perhaps the characters caring less about the stakes, as they get drunker. Instead weI would say that many of the moments are played too serious. I was really looking forward to this movie, but it wasn't as funny as I had hoped, and did not take advantage of the brilliant pub crawl concept. I would have liked different threats at each pub. Perhaps a two headed dog at The Two Headed Dog. Perhaps the characters caring less about the stakes, as they get drunker. Instead we get lots of repetitive action. Expand
  10. Aug 26, 2013
    This has some great chemistry from this veteran team. The skits are real clever also. It's just what could of been a great coming of age movie dissolves into a Dr.Who wannabe plot line. The story would of been better if it were written by the Spice Girls. I liked the special closure and happiness elements but the special effects were nothing special.
  11. Aug 23, 2013
    I saw this in a Cornetto marathon that started with Shaun of the Dead, went to Hot Fuzz, and ended with World's End, so I think it's appropriate to grade it on two scales: 1) It's place in the trilogy and 2) It's independent value as a movie.

1) I liked Shaun of the Dead, and Hot Fuzz is one of my all-time favorite movies, so I had high expectations here. After watching the first two and remembering how much I loved them, even the Nth time watching them, I started to get giddy for World's End. Plus, early reviews had rated it higher than either of the previous two.

So, it's with much disappointment that I say this was far and away the third-best movie in the trilogy. There were certainly some laughs, but they were much fewer and far between than SotD or HF. The protagonist (Pegg) was very rarely likeable. The movie got off to an *extremely* slow start, as well. (To be fair, so did HF, but I thought that in HF it worked, and it was at least still funny while it was slow in the beginning. TWE was slow and mostly unfunny at the start.)

2) So, it's the worst of the three, but that's a high standard. How does it stack up otherwise? Again, I'm sad to say that it wasn't overly remarkable. When we left the theater, we weren't interested in talking about the movie. Usually if it's an amazing movie you can talk about this awesome scene, that awesome line, or some cool plot point. This just left us disinterested. I laughed a bit, and I was certainly entertained. And all of the actors were amazing but I just wasn't blown away. I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it to friends, but if they told me they were seeing it, I wouldn't dissuade them, either.
  12. Sep 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. You could see that this movie reflected the same emptyness as the actors lives it was based on. I admit its a great movie if your high on pot or drunk or just stupid. But you know the actor writer is completely bankrupt of any creativity and ideas when they resort to sheer shock value and star power for the whole movie.

This movie is definitely a Jump the Shark moment for Seth Rogen and his crew, unfortunately, just the feel goods self affirmation this will give stoners of their lives will make all the potheads give it good reviews, if youre anyone else this movie will be something worth skipping
  13. Oct 13, 2013
    Typical Simon Pegg movie. It is kind of his previous movies like shaun of the dead but still an just above average comedy movie to watch. I won't say it is too funny but still an enjoyable movie.
  14. Oct 17, 2013
    For what this is Good but not memorable! This movie starts with a great uphill arc. I would stat though somewhere around the middle the story goes too honest. Like they should just kill everyone because all hell has gone loose. Oh well. You know what you're paying for at this movie! @ramblingmango
  15. Oct 9, 2014
    The World's End is a unique and bizarre film from Edger Wright. There are certainly some chuckles to be had and a lot of things to scratch your head over. It is difficult to judge if this movie is a work of genius or totally off the rails in every way. Either way, it's an interesting ride.
  16. Jun 30, 2015
    Unfortunately for the cornetto trilogy, it's last instalment turned a comedy into a plastic rehashed message about humanity causing everything to collapse into itself and for what.?Absolutely appalling ending which is a shame seeing as there was a smattering of British humour and a few decent fight scenes. But not the worst movie ever, I'd consider maybe watching it if I was pretty bored.
  17. Aug 20, 2014
    you know it's really pointless, the most pointless movie i had seen.
    Just the end of the movie was a little mind awaking but the whole movie is just so incredibly pointless and meaningless....!!
    you can't make a social movie with comedy and science fiction, no way..it's just like eating banana with tea at 4 AM.
  18. Jan 9, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The world's end is a TERRIBLE movie. It has a poor character development a stupid story and it doesn't even make sense at all by the half of the movie. Honestly, I didn't expect it to turn from a comedy movie into an awful action movie. The beginning of the movie was really fun and enjoyable, but *spolier alert* when they start fighting those robots, I gave up on this movie. And the end of the movie is awful too, It doesn't even make sense. I'm giving it a 4/10 because it made me laugh, but it's not really that good. Expand
  19. Aug 9, 2014
    I want to like this movie but Pegg is horribly miscast, and it just isn't funny. Its diluted Shaun of the Dead with a heavier, but actually better, theme. The Sci-fi element is annoying. Of the five main actors, at least three are just not funny whatsoever. All five should have been. Even Guardians of the Galaxy had better characters, and they were often animated. A disappointment.
  20. Mar 8, 2015
    I personally went into The Worlds End, only having seen the trailer and not much else. I wasn’t over keen on the trailer either, but in the end its just a trailer, and i would always give a film a shot. I’d obviously heard that this was the final in the ‘Cornetto Trilogy’ or to give the the series its official name from Simon Pegg and Edgar Write ‘The Blood and Ice Cream Trilogy’ whichI personally went into The Worlds End, only having seen the trailer and not much else. I wasn’t over keen on the trailer either, but in the end its just a trailer, and i would always give a film a shot. I’d obviously heard that this was the final in the ‘Cornetto Trilogy’ or to give the the series its official name from Simon Pegg and Edgar Write ‘The Blood and Ice Cream Trilogy’ which also included the excellent Shaun Of The Dead, and the equally excellent and unique Hot Fuzz. So here we have the final film, The World’s End to complete the trio.

The World’s End was never going to have the same buzz or appeal like Shaun Of The Dead, which everyone was interested in being the whole horror/zombie boom at the time, and it was never going to have the intrigue of Hot Fuzz, being the second in the trilogy with people expecting what next, but what it has for it, is that its the final return of ‘the team’ (Edgar Write, Simon Pegg, Nick Frost) in a humble Sci-Fi affair, along with some massive names in British talent. Along with the obvious Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, we have the likes of Paddy Considine, who is an amazing talent. The Office favorite, Martin Freeman, who lets just say has been doing rather well in the film stakes lately. Eddie Marsan who i feel is one of the most talented British actors working at the moment, this man can act, and holding the lady flag high, we have Rosamund Pike, who over the last few years, has become a household name, and is only getting better.

The World’s End is about Gary (Simon Pegg) who wants to go back to his hometown of Newton Haven after leaving 20 years previously, and is hellbent on getting together with his 4 best mates and go on drinking marathon pub crawl. Gary, still acting like the kid from back in the days, sees that everyone has moved on with their lives and grown up. Andrew (Nick Frost) is now a solicitor. Steve (Paddy Considine) owns his own company in construction. Oliver (Martin Freeman) works in property, and Peter (Eddie Marsan) is a partner at his fathers car dealership. Gary has to try and convince everyone to meet up and try and complete the ‘Golden Mile’ which they were never able to complete for numerous reason as teenagers, all with the expectation to complete it this time, one way or another. The Golden Mile for Gary and his friends have many memories connected to it from their childhood, some good, some bad, and many a underlying reason why some of his mates have lost touch with Gary over the years.

The World’s End has a long but slightly drawn out opening sequence, an entertaining, if a bit mashed up middle, an odd and pointless conclusion, and an an least unconventional, if on a personal opinion, weirdly unnecessary epilogue.

The start seems to drag a bit. We have the introduction of the characters, which is enjoyable, but its the same for 20 minutes. There are a couple great jokes here at the start though, with the likes of the tape player joke, or the owner of the car moment, plus it really shows you how our main character Gary is still in the past. The middle, made up with the ‘Golden Mile’ is quite interesting. The whole back and forth between the pubs, with ‘down memory lane’ stories told by each character is a smart way for us, the viewer, to understand who these friends really were back in the day, and how strong their relationships once was. Their are some funny characters introduced here too, mainly at the pubs that they go to, and with the whole alien invasion turn in the story, how is played out is done well, if a bit odd at times. The whole conclusion seems just a whole smack in the face, with a few WTF moments. I really didn’t enjoy how it concluded. The path some of our characters take just seem a bit selfish in the grand scale of things, and the epilogue, even though rather fitting to the films name, has some silly revelations.

There are a few laughs here and there. For me personally I feel it’s not on par with Shaun Of The Dead or even Hot Fuzz, on laughs scale but it still has a few thrown in. The fight scenes at first are excellent, and even latter there is some great moments within the first scenes, but we start to get more and more of them that they seem just a bit messy and uneasy to follow.
    There is a back story here which is quite heartfelt come the end of things, especially considering what some of the characters have gone through, but when the main character, Gary, comes across as an annoying prat, it loses some of appeal. However with we have to remember, he hasn’t really grown up. He is suppose to come across as a childish fool. He still still acts like he did back when he was a teenagers, he wants to continue to be in a time where he was king of his friends, a time where loved, where lost, and where he had friends, where he has family.

Full Review @ItsMuchMore

1. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Aug 31, 2013
    Nothing here is so well defined, and the tone of the film begins to suffer. I cannot imagine returning to it as one does to "Shaun of the Dead" and "Hot Fuzz," hungry for fresh minutiae. [2 Sept. 2013, p.80]
  2. Reviewed by: Kimberley Jones
    Aug 28, 2013
    The World’s End affectionately takes a page from our Fifties sci-fi films.
  3. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Aug 26, 2013
    There's a lot of fun to be had in watching The World's End and, surprisingly, more thematic depth than one might expect. The humor, true to its British roots, may baffle some Americans but those who "get" it will laugh quite a bit.