7.6

1. Aug 31, 2013
    I enjoyed the movie! It's funny and it does have the Cornetto trilogy feeling to it. Without a doubt, Nick Frost did a fantastic job playing his character, His best character he has played since Ed in Shaun of The Dead!

My only downside of the film was the ending, I thought it was bit pants. Most of the endings in the trilogy has a funny twist to it but this didn't but as I said, I have enjoyed the movie and will buy the blu-ray on release.
  2. Sep 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The third flavour in Edgar Wright’s Cornetto Trilogy is The World’s End, is a pub crawl set against the backdrop of the apocalypse, in a sci-fi farce that would make Douglas Adams proud. The setting recalls Shaun of the Dead (2004), which culminated in a mad dash to the pub amid a different world-end scenario, riffing hilariously on the classic zombie uprising. This plot sees five friends return to their home town of Newton Haven to complete The Golden Mile, a grand tour around the town’s twelve historic ale houses.

They’ve all come a long way since their school days. All that is, except one. Gary King (Simon Pegg) the instigator of this nostalgia trip has not moved on a day. The perpetual sunglasses and leather duster that made him the coolest dude in school twenty years ago are now the bedraggled clobber of a washed-up borderline alcoholic.

Where previously Pegg played the more driven character, with Nick Frost his stalwart, yet bumbling companion, in The World’s End, the roles are switched. Here, Pegg is still the lead, but the idle Gary King is much closer to his character in Edgar Wright’s sitcom Spaced. His old chum Andy (Nick Frost) is the complete antithesis, a successful lawyer, teetotal and married. The two have had a “frosty” relationship since school, if you’ll pardon the dreadful pun. Andy later comes to the forefront once conflicts begin, Dutch courage enabling him to become champion of bar-fu.

The laughter flows as quickly as the pints, with sharp and hilarious dialogue. The action is well choreographed by Brad Allen, a member of Jackie Chan’s famous stunt team who worked with Wright on Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (2010). Fans of Wright and his team will recognise the return of some frequent collaborators, well cast to enrich the experience.

The film is a masterpiece of conception, with strength is in its attention to detail (resist reading further if you want to avoid spoilers). Of note are the character names, which subtly reveal their group dynamic. Self-appointed leader Gary King, ambitious rival Steven Prince (Paddy Considine), dedicated combatant Andy Knightley, managerial city slicker Oliver Chamberlain (Martin Freeman) and the submissive Peter Page (Eddie Marsan). The larger group takes a while to develop, drawing the focus away from the familiar Pegg and Frost dynamic. They characters chew the fat over the first few drinks, but each gets their moment in the sun. The name and design of each pub has been elegantly constructed to reflect the events that take place there; some are more subtle than others, but the stops on The Golden Mile are certainly open to rich interpretation.

The perfectly generic Newton Haven was filmed amongst Hertfordshire’s garden cities (The UK’s first roundabout is indeed a real place in Letchworth). Thus the fictional town manages to represent the epitome of Britishness, but with an atypical vibe of city planning. For The World’s End is a comment on the homogeneity of modern British towns. A similar uniformity afflicted the cities of the world in Huxley’s Brave New World, and this is the ultimatum delivered by the mysterious intelligence behind the alien invasion, whose brutal utilitarianism seeks to bring humanity in line with the rest of the galaxy by any means necessary. After all, we are almost there already: what high street can be walked down in this country without encountering the same banks, the same coffee shops, the same clothes outlets, the same chains of restaurants and pubs.

The film also dissects nostalgia by drawing attention to our own selective memories. The soundtrack is full of the early 90s Britpop and alternative rock of Wright and Pegg’s youth, that defines Gary King’s philosophy. The gang’s first attempt at the mile, all those years ago, was an unfinished ramble of illness and conflict, participants dropping like flies as the evening progressed. Yet it is remembered as the perfect night, the culmination of a wonderful youth. The characters are later offered the chance of a return to this youth, the recollection of twenty years’ pedestrian adulthood polished to perfection by cutting out all the bad bits.

It’s a tall order to replicate the success of the Cornetto classics without retreading old ground, but The World’s End manages to keep moving in unexpected directions. This is a team that know what they are doing, and they have certainly approached it with a new ambition, striking gold once more. At heart, The World’s End is a bittersweet endorsement of humanity, celebrating not only our faults, but the individuality and freedoms that come with them. It also inspired me to indulge in a pub crawl of my own. So I, for one, will be raising a pint glass to The World’s End, as it heads towards its cataclysmic finale. I suggest you do, too.
  3. Sep 4, 2013
    Pretty good! I'm a big fan of Simon Pegg so this film made me very happy, especially because Simon Pegg was in it and he his always a joy to behold. An A+!
  4. Sep 10, 2013
    12 pubs, 12 pints; one night. The World's End is the story of Garry King (Simon Pegg) and the old school gang, who re-tackle the 5280 feet of alcohol on the Golden Mile in their hometown. As Garry is reaching 40, this pub crawl is all he basically has to live for.

I usually personally judge a movie based on if I was bored at all during the run time, and with The World's End, I was constantly entertained with the British humor and witty comments, coming from Simon and the entire cast. The only character in the film I didn't like was Rosamund Pike (Picture 1). Her role was just minor and I feel that the film would've been better without it.

I walked into the film just for some laughs and a humor, and received much more in the end than expected. The movie took some completely unexpected twists and turns that neither me, nor the rest of the audience were expecting. I think that The World's End is the summer blockbuster film I never got. When I think back on this year’s break, I never really could remember a movie I actually left the theater satisfied with.
    Pegg's acting was the best I have ever seen from him, and I think that this single August release promotes his ability and range of all the parts he can play...WELL. The Sci-Fi aspect of the film weaved together nicely with the mix of comedy in an un-awkward way. When the sci-fi aspect did come about, I did feel the film began to become more unrealistic. I didn't like how these regular drunks, were able to change into mini Jackie Chan's all of a sudden.

Through the many fight scenes, there was really never a time where any one of the characters was in a close to life or death situation. I think that even though I thought this was a problem, The World's End is a movie that you go into knowing everything won't make perfect sense when you’re leaving the theater.

Being the third film in the series of Shaun of the Dead, and Hot Fuzz, I feel that The World’s End felt more like a sequel to Paul than the others it was billed against. Overall, The World's End is a movie you will feel like you got your money's worth out of, in the long run. It's one of those films that seems like it would be more fun to watch when you’ve had a few pints yourself, but either way it is an easy film to enjoy.
  5. Sep 13, 2013
    Very original! While I do find Shaun of the Dead still the best of the three Pegg, Frost & Wright movies, this was enjoyable. Though, I think the ending was kind of weird and unexpected. Overall, I liked it and it was a fun flick to watch.
  6. Sep 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The World's End was inspiring, filled with a mix of a dream with an apocalyptic twist, had a rebellious fun loving leader of friends that i could relate to, repeated the SPNF movie trilogy elements with pub drinking and fence jumping, showed old friends meeting again catching up which is a classic formula for awesome, it overall got me impressed and excited.
    it left me feeling refreshed, relaxed, rejuvenated, reanimated, recharged, and revved.
    being a great endpart to the SPNF movies trilogy, I give it in a solid 10/10 because its level of awesomeness seemed like an art form to me and revived that dormant living fun loving spirit inside. It invoked my inner party demons.
  7. Aug 9, 2014
    I want to like this movie but Pegg is horribly miscast, and it just isn't funny. Its diluted Shaun of the Dead with a heavier, but actually better, theme. The Sci-fi element is annoying. Of the five main actors, at least three are just not funny whatsoever. All five should have been. Even Guardians of the Galaxy had better characters, and they were often animated. A disappointment.
  8. Oct 2, 2013
    Now this is a very intelligent movie, extremely funny, surprising, and with a message.
    One of the best movies I've seen in a very long time.
    There goes that.
  9. Oct 17, 2013
    For what this is Good but not memorable! This movie starts with a great uphill arc. I would stat though somewhere around the middle the story goes too honest. Like they should just kill everyone because all hell has gone loose. Oh well. You know what you're paying for at this movie! @ramblingmango
  10. Sep 25, 2013
    Easily one of my favourite films. Went to see it with my dad and the excessive swearing and sarcastic humour really clicked. Brilliant fun, wouldn't recommend for sensitive people!
  11. Jan 9, 2014
    Esta era una de las películas más esperadas del año para los que disfrutan de la buena comedia, y así es, The World's End es una lluvia imparable de carcajadas de principio a fin, el director Edgar Wright ha completado una de las trilogías más esperadas de la década pasada (incluyendo a Shaun of the Dead y Hot Fuzz). La verdad una comedia que debe ser vista para todos los que disfrutenEsta era una de las películas más esperadas del año para los que disfrutan de la buena comedia, y así es, The World's End es una lluvia imparable de carcajadas de principio a fin, el director Edgar Wright ha completado una de las trilogías más esperadas de la década pasada (incluyendo a Shaun of the Dead y Hot Fuzz). La verdad una comedia que debe ser vista para todos los que disfruten reírse a carcajadas con este dúo de actores (Simon Pegg & Nick Frost).
    Como último comentario: Muy recomendable y si no la ven están perdiendo una buena oportunidad para reírse con sus amigos un buen rato.
  12. Oct 27, 2013
    This is not your typical comedy. From the writers of Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright, bring their latest work The World’s End. It is an action comedy about five friends trying to relive, or bury, their teenage years. The movie starts off by giving context to the story and the characters during their time as high school seniors. After some background information,This is not your typical comedy. From the writers of Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright, bring their latest work The World’s End. It is an action comedy about five friends trying to relive, or bury, their teenage years. The movie starts off by giving context to the story and the characters during their time as high school seniors. After some background information, the movie starts to shine light upon the characters on the present. Four of the five friends were able to move on from the events that occurred during their senior year, except one. This character is portrayed by Simon Pegg and his character is stuck in the past. He was the leader of this misfit teenage party of friends. He had a sense of power and he did not want to be stuck in a corporate cage after high school, but he could not stop time. Because of these characteristics, Simon Pegg’s character has a drive within himself to recreate his younger self. This leads to him bring all of his friends back together to complete the golden mile, a bar crawl consisting of twelve pubs. On this journey they encounter many obstacles that make all of characters test their friendships and trust within each other. It is a very funny movie with plenty of laughs. It also is an action movie with plenty of bar brawls and slug-fests. Moreover it is a story of friendship and belief in one’s self to trust in one another to achieve something better than what they had before. Expand
  13. Nov 9, 2013
    Funny movie, with lots of small gags. The cast does its work just fine. The ending just looks as if the writers didn't know how to give this movie an end and just wanted to give everything a quick (but not very good) explanation. Good action scenes. Missing the long-laughing gags from Hot Fuzz.
  14. Aug 4, 2014
    Sadly, probably Edgar Wright's weakest film. It felt too self-referential and feels more of a metaphor of Wright and Pegg trying to live through their lost youth. Unfortunately this has now been done to death in cinema. Because of this the aliens seemed to be the secondary story line, and I felt it wasn't as captivating as it should have been.
  15. Dec 24, 2013
    A film with such high ratings from critics and users, but so utterly poor beyond the first 20 minutes, that I had to sign up to Metacritic to ensure that sane people's views were represented more fully. Pegg and Frost have truly lost their way. How deeply disillusioning to see the wonderful Paddy Considine and Martin Freeman in a film so lacking in wit, skill, grace and genuineA film with such high ratings from critics and users, but so utterly poor beyond the first 20 minutes, that I had to sign up to Metacritic to ensure that sane people's views were represented more fully. Pegg and Frost have truly lost their way. How deeply disillusioning to see the wonderful Paddy Considine and Martin Freeman in a film so lacking in wit, skill, grace and genuine thoughfulness. Nice idea: zombie slave metaphor for middle age conformity. And the odd good line early on. But the people making it have so lost touch with ordinary life that they no longer know how to turn life into art, or more to the point, comedy. No one, but no one, will remember this film with affection in ten years' time. Expand
  16. Dec 28, 2013
    The last entry in the Edgar Wright's trilogy is equal parts riotous and moving. The film is a masterwork in pacing, and Simon Pegg gives what has to be his best performance ever.
  17. Jan 2, 2014
    A really fun movie with some really nice jokes and good action sequences, combined with witty back-and-forth banter between the main characters make The World's End a great ending to Three Flavours Cornetto (or whatever you want to call it) trilogy.
  18. Jan 5, 2014
    I think some of the 0 score reviews are very harsh and they probably don't have any humour and took the film to seriously.

Its fun and stupid and it made me laugh loads. Being from the UK I found it hilarious how they made a whole crazy story from a pub crawl so thought it was great. So maybe its a UK film where Americans won't get why its funny but me and all my friends love it and I hope they release more silly films.
  19. Feb 19, 2014
    This is the Third Flavour of the Cornetto trilogy, and as you would expect it's quirky, pacey and funny. The movie is rich with characters and relationship building (friendship). Higly recommend it.
  20. Sep 10, 2014
    It doesn't mark Itself as the best work from the Pegg and Wright but still contains enough comical violence and ridiculous humor to make it a memorable film.
  21. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    The World's End was absolutely outrageous!!! If the movie didn't have all the laughs and drinks in it, it would just be one of those pathetic movies similar to the Steve Jobs biopic directed by Joshua Michael Stern.
  22. May 27, 2014
    Great movie until the ending. There was many funny jokes and clever dialogue in this movie that kept me into it most of the time. The story was pretty good up until near the very end it started to suck at the end. It is the worst of the three movies that Frost and Pegg have done together but they still managed to entertain me to enjoy this movie quite a bit.
  23. May 1, 2014
    This movie is the perfect end to a trilogy that has had audiences both amazed with the acting and directing, and laughing out loud with it's incredibly witty comedy. I have already seen this movie over 10 times, and each time I discover something new.
  24. Jun 22, 2014
    As long as you don't try and compare it to Hot Fuzz , this film is very enjoyable to watch especially watching it the second time round, the humor is what you expect and puts a smile on your face with some moments that will make you **** yourself with laughter.

I only rated it a seven because some parts of the plot just felt like it lost it way a bit and didn't quite explain itself properly and the ending was a bit naff as well.

I do think this film is worth a watch but it probably does have its own audience and may need to be watched twice (with a good amount of time in between)
  25. Jul 4, 2014
    As a whole, "The World's End" is still pretty good, but not as humorous as "Shaun of the Dead" or "Hot Fuzz". For better or worse, the film emphasises more on moral, ethics and the stupidity of humans than simple, funny jokes. As for acting, this is the best of Simon Pegg that I have seen so far.
  26. Nov 13, 2014
    "The World's End" 10 Scale Rating: 7.5 (Very Good) ...

"The World's End" 10 Scale Rating: 7.5 (Very Good) ...

The Good: With a great cast that you've seen in previous films from Simon Pegg, Nick Frost and director Edgar Wright, "The World's End" is witty and at times downright hilarious. If you've enjoyed the first two films from this group (Sean of the Dead, Hot Fuzz), then you will enjoy this one as well. As with the first two offerings, "The World's End" effortlessly and drastically changes up genres and, oddly enough, it fits.

The Bad: If you're not a fan of the first two films, then you won't like this one. The premise is also a bit silly. Sure, it is expected as this is a comedy, but at times it goes a little overboard. It is a little uneven as the first half is much better than the second.

1. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Aug 31, 2013
    Nothing here is so well defined, and the tone of the film begins to suffer. I cannot imagine returning to it as one does to "Shaun of the Dead" and "Hot Fuzz," hungry for fresh minutiae. [2 Sept. 2013, p.80]
  2. Reviewed by: Kimberley Jones
    Aug 28, 2013
    The World’s End affectionately takes a page from our Fifties sci-fi films.
  3. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Aug 26, 2013
    There's a lot of fun to be had in watching The World's End and, surprisingly, more thematic depth than one might expect. The humor, true to its British roots, may baffle some Americans but those who "get" it will laugh quite a bit.