7.6

1. Aug 23, 2013
    But up until its final minutes, The World's End is a genuine delight, the most satisfying apocalypse of a summer that has been brimming with them. Robert Frost famously mused Some say the world will end in fire/Some say in ice. I prefer Edgar Wright's vision: It will end in a pub.
  2. Aug 23, 2013
    This is as close to perfect as it gets. Even with its flaws, it does everything it sets out to do, and is everything that it is supposed to be. Few movies can say that. It ends the trilogy well.
  3. Aug 23, 2013
    This is by far the funniest and most fun movie of the year; everyone involved is as good as ever. Honestly, this is a movie made by fans, for fans, and the entire theater loved it. I got to see this at a Cornetto Trilogy marathon comprised of Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz leading up to the 10:00 PM premiere of the film, and EVERYONE had an incredible time. Everyone.

First thing’s

First thing’s first: is a comedy, so is it funny? FROM START TO FINISH! And, surprisingly, it’s actually very heartfelt. The characters are very likable (even if they’re rude and belligerent, they have a good side to them) and there is an argument between Simon Pegg and Nick Frost towards the end that was actually very moving. This film never sacrifices a character or plot point to make a joke, just like the other films in this trilogy, and that in itself shows the care here.

A lot of movies are just mindless fun, but this is actually smart, and it in turn makes it so much more fun. Edgar Wright’s timing and ability to create terrific fight scenes are as good as ever, and of course Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, and all others are just fantastic. And let me say something: these special effects are stellar throughout and it only cost $20 million? Truly well-spent. I just can’t wait to see this again.

And note: I am *not* comparing this to Shaun of the Dead or Hot Fuzz (which are my two favorite comedies of all time) because each entry in the Cornetto Trilogy is so different and all of them are truly exceptional.

9.6/10, amazing, two thumbs up, far above average, etc.
  4. Aug 23, 2013
    Couldn't have asked for a better conclusion to the Cornetto Trilogy. The World's End was quite possibly better than Shaun of the dead and Hot fuzz. It had great character development, a slightly confusing plot at first but it explains itself as it goes, and the humor is all there once again. The World's End is filled with action, a great story with a classic ending, and of course it isCouldn't have asked for a better conclusion to the Cornetto Trilogy. The World's End was quite possibly better than Shaun of the dead and Hot fuzz. It had great character development, a slightly confusing plot at first but it explains itself as it goes, and the humor is all there once again. The World's End is filled with action, a great story with a classic ending, and of course it is HILARIOUS! If you loved Shaun of the dead and Hot fuzz you'll definitely love this one. If you haven't seen the first 2 (I don't know why you wouldn't because they're great) then you won't get a few of the jokes but you will still have a great time but I highly suggest you watch the first 2 before then you will enjoy yourself even more. The World's End kicks every other comedies a$$ proving you can have a great story along with all of the priceless jokes. Go see this!! 9.5/10 Expand
  5. Aug 23, 2013
    Weird that this film doesn't follow a homage to a certain particular set of genre in the film medium but rather gives closure and gives a reflective look at our selves as human beings. All of Edgar Wright's stylistic pans, wipes, cuts and other transitions are still there and the chemistry brother-like duo of Simon Pegg and Nick Frost is there. The action in this film is very top notch, IWeird that this film doesn't follow a homage to a certain particular set of genre in the film medium but rather gives closure and gives a reflective look at our selves as human beings. All of Edgar Wright's stylistic pans, wipes, cuts and other transitions are still there and the chemistry brother-like duo of Simon Pegg and Nick Frost is there. The action in this film is very top notch, I loved watching the fight scenes because of the kinetic shots and creativeness of the fight scenes are funny and entertaining. The beginning was a bit out there but as soon as they get into the town, strap your self in for a hell of a ride. It take's a particular taste of humor to get the jokes in the film but if your just watching this film because it had beer and had "EDM" music in the trailer, you are going to be like where's the non sensical nudity?! where's the blood? I only see blue blood/ink. lol Simon Pegg at the beginning can be a bit unlikable but who doesn't like an protagonist/anti-hero??? There is some surprise cameos if you ever watched a certain type of "spy" movie in the 90's. Expand
  6. Aug 23, 2013
    Don't get me wrong, I loved "Shaun of the Dead" and especially "Hot Fuzz", but this movie just had everything it needed to not only be a fantastic movie, but to conclude the summer. It's a funny and even heartfelt comedy that entertains on every aspect. A part of me feels like I'm cheating myself on giving this movie a perfect 10. But the more and more engaged I was into this movie, theDon't get me wrong, I loved "Shaun of the Dead" and especially "Hot Fuzz", but this movie just had everything it needed to not only be a fantastic movie, but to conclude the summer. It's a funny and even heartfelt comedy that entertains on every aspect. A part of me feels like I'm cheating myself on giving this movie a perfect 10. But the more and more engaged I was into this movie, the more I felt for absolutely everything! Overall, it' the best well-made comedy of the summer. Be sure to check out my YouTube channel, "TheMovieManLife" for all things movies. Expand
  7. Aug 23, 2013
    Definitely the most heartfelt and creative film in the trilogy but sadly not as good as Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. The World's End is a fitting conclusion that, though suffering from some plot holes, is plenty of fun and great entertainment, though a little slow at times.

1. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Aug 31, 2013
    Nothing here is so well defined, and the tone of the film begins to suffer. I cannot imagine returning to it as one does to "Shaun of the Dead" and "Hot Fuzz," hungry for fresh minutiae. [2 Sept. 2013, p.80]
  2. Reviewed by: Kimberley Jones
    Aug 28, 2013
    The World’s End affectionately takes a page from our Fifties sci-fi films.
  3. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Aug 26, 2013
    There's a lot of fun to be had in watching The World's End and, surprisingly, more thematic depth than one might expect. The humor, true to its British roots, may baffle some Americans but those who "get" it will laugh quite a bit.