7.7

1. Aug 31, 2013
    Saw this flick last night. Have you all gone mad? Crass juvenile humor without any character development whatsoever, with a plot that would only appeal to teenagers. I love comedy and science fiction but this was just awful. Avoid at all costs.
  2. Feb 10, 2014
    Fantastically made film. Not as good as Shaun of the Dead, but better than Hot Fuzz. The Action sequences are great, and the comedy is good. The hidden secrets such as the bars being named after what happens in that bar are so easily unnoticed, but a great touch and will have you shocked when you realise.
  3. Jan 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A missed oppurtunity. For me this could have been the best film of the Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz trilogy but ended up being the worst. I thought the premise was brilliant; a group of middle aged friends getting together to re-live their youth and going on a pub crawl. The Gary King character was really interesting in that he was living in the past and I really wanted to discover why he did that. The soundtrack was also fantastic, based on the madchester/shoegazing sound from the early nineties. Things were going really well as the characters started their pub crawl, exchanging anecdotes about their past and getting on famously. Ironically for me the film start unraveling once they introduced the robot aliens to the story. To be honest I think if would have been a much better film had they dropped the aliens altogether as from then on we got a series of overblown chase sequences ending up with Gary giving his "We are humans and you can't tell us what to do!" speech with the aliens responding "oh, alright then we'll leave" before blowing up the town and leaving the whole world reverted to a kind of mad-max existence. The whole of the last 5 minutes felt as though it belonged in a different film. Such a shame, this could have been such a good film. Expand
  4. Dec 13, 2013
    A fittingly hilarious and clever ending to the "Cornetto Trilogy", complete with Edgar Wright's tight, stylish directing; witty, fast-paced, and almost intimidatingly allusive dialogue and great characterization. This film, as with the others in the trilogy, is distinct from the other two in many ways, but balances almost perfectly the sense of familiarity and novelty. It feels like itsA fittingly hilarious and clever ending to the "Cornetto Trilogy", complete with Edgar Wright's tight, stylish directing; witty, fast-paced, and almost intimidatingly allusive dialogue and great characterization. This film, as with the others in the trilogy, is distinct from the other two in many ways, but balances almost perfectly the sense of familiarity and novelty. It feels like its own film, and yet it is similar enough to its counterparts to make them feel unified. Though it wasn't as good as Hot Fuzz, it still made me laugh, a lot. Expand
  5. May 25, 2014
    A surprising last entry in the 'Cornetto Trilogy' but it's not the type of surprise that's entirely positive...

Let me start off by saying that I was, and still am, a huge fan of Shaun of the Dead, and an even bigger fan of Hot Fuzz, so when I heard about a third Edgar Wright film starring the classic Pegg and Frost combination where the plot focused on a good ol' fashioned English piss up that then turned into an Alien invasion bash-up, I shat myself in anticipation. As you can tell by my 6/10 score though, I probably wasted a good pair of pants doing so.

The first act does well to hype you up for the rest of the film. Pegg as an insane '90s replica with legs is humorous to behold but it seems as though it was the actor's weakest role in the trilogy. Don't get me wrong, Gary King is well written and pretty unique, but I'm not sure, I just feel as though it's a familiar actor playing an unfamiliar character. Frost is good as a character that's basically the reverse of King, but the rest of the main cast are almost identical to him in premise and that can come off as a bit unoriginal at times. Nevertheless, the first half of the film is great in a satirical, traditional English setting with hilarious dialogue as expected. My hype for seeing Pegg and Frost pissed up was almsot entirely satisfied...

Then it gets to the Aliens...

I know it's not very important, but the Aliens in this film are boring beyond belief. They're basically cyborgs with a robotic behavior replacing any sort of personality. Again, it's not a huge problem because the focus is supposed to be on Pegg and the gang, but it can be a bit distracting during dialogue and heated action sequences. It's just... we've seen this kind of stuff before so it seems uninspired and makes me lose a little too much interest in the story as a whole.

Without giving anything away, the end of the film is pretty unusual and surprising, not your typical happy ending in the slightest. I won't ruin it, but just don't expect everything to work out just fine like I did. While we're on the subject of the end though, the 'network' A.I thing voiced by Bill Nighy is also incredibly unoriginal and dull, although again there is a few laughs to be had with his dialogue. Yet again, I know it's not supposed to be the focus, but this to me was a bit of a wasted potential for what could have been some fresh and original Aliens, and maybe like, they would come to Earth seeking Beer or something? Wouldn't THAT have been pretty interesting? But I digress...

The action is pretty good and at least half of the movie's dialogue generates some chuckles, but I had high hopes for the finale in a trilogy I could have adored, and they just weren't met. It's an A-Grade Popcorn Movie, but other than that there isn't all that much else here. I'd definitely recommend Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead before I would even mention this one, so go see those if you haven't.
  6. Sep 22, 2013
    This movie is Complete, absolute, bilge. Over rated, self indulgent, foul mouthed, bloated, puerile dirge. From start to finish.
    I loved SOTD and HF but I didnt give a toss what was happening in this and couldn't wait for it to end. They have seriously just indulged themselves and taken the complete piss out of the film-going public. Obviously most people dont seem to be aware of that.
    Seriously I am at a complete loss as to why this has such a high review. Shockingly awful nonsense, they should be truly ashamed.
    And all the 'fantastic' reviews of this WTF?! Are you all robots?!

One redeeming feature; the soundtrack. Unfortunately a few old school classics can't save this.
  7. Sep 12, 2013
    Wow, metacritic, letting me down. This film was a slow trudge through a half baked plot, only interrupted by a meager supply of chuckles. Oh but... it's the guy, from that movie, and we ALL liked that, remember? It did have it's moments. The action segments have some great choreography, which spices things up. And some jokes hit home. But overall, unfortunately, it just doesn't add up toWow, metacritic, letting me down. This film was a slow trudge through a half baked plot, only interrupted by a meager supply of chuckles. Oh but... it's the guy, from that movie, and we ALL liked that, remember? It did have it's moments. The action segments have some great choreography, which spices things up. And some jokes hit home. But overall, unfortunately, it just doesn't add up to be the swashbuckling buddy movie it sets out to be. Time will tell. Expand
  8. Oct 23, 2013
    A massive disappointment. Like the guys in the movie, my feeling watching this was that it was an idea pushed too far, void of all charm and fun. Every joke feels forced and all comedic moments rest squarely on Pegg's shoulders. Nick Frost does not work well as the comedy straight man. And Paddy Considine is charmless without his Irish accent. A thoroughly sad way to end the franchise.
  9. Sep 17, 2013
    It is a comedy Si-Fi- Apocalypse story. A gang of 5, old school friends, get together to finish what they tried at school but failed:
    to attend 12 pubs in a raw in one night. "The World's End" is the name of the last, the twelve's pub.
    There are some funny lines, there is an interesting twist somewhere is the middle but overall I was not impressed. I have to admit that there are

I have to admit that there are very few comedies that I really like. But they do exist. This one was not one of those, even though there were excellent actors involved:

Eddie Marsan (who is in my opinion, one of the best British actors), Sam Chamberlain, and others.
  10. Oct 23, 2013
    The only spoiler I could give for this movie is that its a massive crap stain of a movie. The plot is tired. The comedy is non existent. The ending is stupid. Waste of time.
  11. Aug 30, 2013
    Stupid, long, clever in a sophomoric way. "Let's make a mashup of two overdone concepts!" That's not clever, that's throwing darts. I should know better: whenever critics love all the filmic references in a movie, it's overrated the filmmaker made it for the critics, not for us.
  12. Feb 2, 2014
    I found this movie, soooo painful to watch. It was boring and dragged on and on! I was watching to see where the good parts will begin. But it didn't happen.
  13. May 11, 2014
    After starting off ok, The World's End became an unfunny, drawn out mess half way through. It goes from a bland comedy into a ridiculous science-fiction event, with an ending that is truly horrible.
  14. May 11, 2014
    Extremely overrated. This is nothing more than a tired concept. There really isn't anything original here. Besides moments of some humor and cleverness, the rest is just whatever. The ending was a total joke.
  15. Dec 27, 2013
    Lacking in character depth, lacking in humour and lacking in logic. The Simon pegg character was annoying and frost as the straight guy didnt work.

The only thing I would say is the plot concept had some legs but the execution was terrible.

One to avoid.
  16. Sep 8, 2013
    So after an amazing Shaun of The Dead and a hilariously crazy Hot Fuzz, the last part "The World's End" had the very risky task of being the final act of a trilogy that on paper looked like the best one ever. BUT unfortunately, the movie sucks so much I couldn't believe it, I had hopes it would be good, and it was easily the worst piece of sh*t I've ever seen this past 5 years, first ofSo after an amazing Shaun of The Dead and a hilariously crazy Hot Fuzz, the last part "The World's End" had the very risky task of being the final act of a trilogy that on paper looked like the best one ever. BUT unfortunately, the movie sucks so much I couldn't believe it, I had hopes it would be good, and it was easily the worst piece of sh*t I've ever seen this past 5 years, first of all, Pegg's role is beyond lame, it's unbelievable, Frost overacts a boring assh*le and becomes quickly annoying. The movie doesn't focus on the duo, but on several insipid characters. The concept is lame, although it had a pretty good starting. Anyways the worst isn't there. The worst part of the movie was the alien/robotic sh*t. Holy hell this was so lame they are nothing in the movie, nothing more than stupid fragile punching balls. The ending is pathetic and everytime you look at Pegg or Frost, you see they don't even believe in the movie, they just want to be somewhere else. What a waste of money, time and hopes. The dirtiest piece of crap you'll see this year, no doubt Expand
  17. Sep 22, 2013
    This was one of the worst movies I ve ever seen!A total load of rubbish from start to end! I was very angry and frustrated, because movie tickets are very expensive in Australia,and money does nt grow on trees.
  18. Sep 6, 2013
    This movie is highly overrated. The movie has no character development, very juvenile humour, and plain stupid. I am very surprised that it has attained such a high rating among users and critics. Maybe I watched a different movie?
  19. Oct 5, 2013
    The ending was crap. The movie was overall good but the ending felt lazy and uninspired. It was a nice change of pace to see Pegg and Frost reversing their roles and the supporting cast were good, even though they felt a bit thin as far as character development. It's funny but the ending was just so dissappointing and, sadly, the thing that really sticks out.
  20. Oct 23, 2013
    Pegg and Frost at their worst. Felt sorry for Martin Freeman being in this movie. And it's not an effing trilogy the three movies in the Cornetto series are DIFFERENT story lines, not a continuation. Meaning its not a trilogy. Regardless this film is
  21. Sep 8, 2013
    Awful, just awful. A terrible end to what was promising to be a great trilogy. It's as if Pegg and Frost ran out of steam altogether and went with a wet rag of an idea they had scribbled on a beery napkin used to soak up a mess from the night before. Very dissapointing.
  22. Aug 23, 2013
    But up until its final minutes, The World's End is a genuine delight, the most satisfying apocalypse of a summer that has been brimming with them. Robert Frost famously mused Some say the world will end in fire/Some say in ice. I prefer Edgar Wright's vision: It will end in a pub.
  23. Feb 28, 2014
    Inspired by it's score I gave it a spin. And honestly - I want my time back. This movie just doesn't add up in any way.. For some time it tries to be serious and just when you start to get the feeling that there will be a moral at the end or just a bit of sense in it.. the blue thing pops up. And it goes completely bananas.Unfortunately, not in a good way. It's acted rather poorly, theInspired by it's score I gave it a spin. And honestly - I want my time back. This movie just doesn't add up in any way.. For some time it tries to be serious and just when you start to get the feeling that there will be a moral at the end or just a bit of sense in it.. the blue thing pops up. And it goes completely bananas.Unfortunately, not in a good way. It's acted rather poorly, the script doesn't make any sense and the whole thing looks like it was written in the same way the whole thing acts out - completely drunk.
    If you want a good Pegg move - go see Paul.
  24. Nov 13, 2013
    This could have the worst movie I've watched at the movie (and I get dragged to a lot of crap by my wife). No one was laughing in the theater, no lie, not once. I feel like people are saying they liked this just because of the cast, and they don't want to be left out for not "getting" its humor when there is none. "It's cheeky," they'll tell you. Or "it's to high brow for you," no thisThis could have the worst movie I've watched at the movie (and I get dragged to a lot of crap by my wife). No one was laughing in the theater, no lie, not once. I feel like people are saying they liked this just because of the cast, and they don't want to be left out for not "getting" its humor when there is none. "It's cheeky," they'll tell you. Or "it's to high brow for you," no this isn't. Simon Pegg is really funny, but he stinks in this. Expand
  25. Feb 19, 2014
    Good God, what was that? A dull, unfunny retelling of Invasion of the Body Snatchers with some mild humour (I laughed once: when a 'blank' chav's head came off and blue goop when over a lavatory floor). Some glimpses of character development here and there that never went anywhere. The World's End was an hour long tease: we're going to play This Corrosion, maybe at the end.
  26. Nov 14, 2013
    I expected a good movie, It wasn't. The acting is ok and the fight scenes are some-what entertaining but the unoriginal plot and lack of humor (didn't laugh once) killed it for me. I expected a movie worth the high praise from critics and users and I did not get that at all. Would not recommend.
  27. Dec 1, 2013
    I really liked Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, but this one is by far the weakest of the trilogy. Why the critics love it so much is beyond me. The characters (especially Simon Pegg's) are all unlikable and uninteresting, and who wants to watch an entire cast acting drunk for half of the movie? Maybe you have to be drunk yourself to have any fun watching this, for all the others: this isI really liked Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, but this one is by far the weakest of the trilogy. Why the critics love it so much is beyond me. The characters (especially Simon Pegg's) are all unlikable and uninteresting, and who wants to watch an entire cast acting drunk for half of the movie? Maybe you have to be drunk yourself to have any fun watching this, for all the others: this is not a good movie. And the unsatisfying ending stands representative for the entire unsatisfying 90 min. Expand
  28. May 3, 2014
    I had to double check this rating as the movie was absolutely ridiculous and not worth the time that it takes to watch, let alone any possible price that could be attached. Perhaps it holds some insider geek-of-film lure that I am missing. If so, I am content with missing it, and am reminded not to be further misled by "film critics".
  29. Nov 24, 2013
    Ugggh. Talk about bad writing. I was ok with the movie's opening scenes and concept but it slowly became worse and worse. Early humanistic scenes that could have developed, didn't. Then, the movie fell totally apart, into a ridiculous science-fiction event. What were the creators thinking? Huh? This one isn't worth your time.
  30. Nov 21, 2013
    Simon Pegg and the rest of the cast are great and the first half of the movie is awesome, but during the second half it gets a little too weird. This is another good movie with Simon Pegg but Shaun of the Dead is way better. Overall Score= 68/100

1. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Aug 31, 2013
    Nothing here is so well defined, and the tone of the film begins to suffer. I cannot imagine returning to it as one does to "Shaun of the Dead" and "Hot Fuzz," hungry for fresh minutiae. [2 Sept. 2013, p.80]
  2. Reviewed by: Kimberley Jones
    Aug 28, 2013
    The World’s End affectionately takes a page from our Fifties sci-fi films.
  3. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Aug 26, 2013
    There's a lot of fun to be had in watching The World's End and, surprisingly, more thematic depth than one might expect. The humor, true to its British roots, may baffle some Americans but those who "get" it will laugh quite a bit.