8.1

1. KyleB.
    Jan 8, 2009
    Visionary writer/director Darren Aronofsky's follow-up to the confusing mess that was "The Fountain" is, on paper, a rather straightforward simplistic story of a broken down man trying to deal with the realities of his trade. But beyond the surface lies a film enriched with spirit and heartbreak. Mickey Rourke, (in what is sure to be an Oscar Nominated performance) takes on the role Visionary writer/director Darren Aronofsky's follow-up to the confusing mess that was "The Fountain" is, on paper, a rather straightforward simplistic story of a broken down man trying to deal with the realities of his trade. But beyond the surface lies a film enriched with spirit and heartbreak. Mickey Rourke, (in what is sure to be an Oscar Nominated performance) takes on the role as the fictional 80's wrestler Randy "The Ram" Robinson who at one time was a big star and is now just a man far past his prime working indie circuits. A body bruised, broken and willing to take more damage. Mickey Rourke used to be a boxer and the damage he sustained to his face is put to full effect in the close-ups used to emphasize just how far one will go for the fans. Randy has lost all of what he has because of his chosen profession. He can't even pay to gain access to his trailer so on weekends he wrestles and weekdays he works at a grocery store. His family has left him and all he wants is the human connection that left. He treats the stripper he goes to (excellently portrayed by oscar winner Marisa Tomei) as if she's his best friend and the kids that live around him are the nephews that he plays Nintendo with, the ones he never had. But after Randy suffers from something that forces him to retire, he tries to make amends with people he hurt, fix the mistakes he made. That includes getting into contact with his daughter (another award making performance by Evan Rachel Wood) in what pushes this movie above what it is. These emotionally intimate scenes are what makes the movie more then about a simple Wrestler, more then just a man on a life's journey. The script by Robert Siegel could have easily been been turned into a Rocky Balboa rip off without the craftsmanship of Aronofsky. The scenes where the wrestlers are all casually discussing their plans for the ring that night are a humorous and informative touch. The seemingly strange combination of filming with a handheld camera, using panning and tracking techniques works, giving it a real and raw vibe which is almost documentary like. You are following this man's triumphs, his losses and his faults. You are watching a man's life unfold in front of you. He wrestles because the fans help heal the wounds, the gaps in his life, and because of that this movie is able to go above what others in the genre have failed to succeed at. Enough cannot be said about Mickey Rourke's powerhouse performance. Every step, every breath and every little nuance he portrays gives life to this character and the frailties he has. Rourke himself had similar dialogue to that of the film, stepping out of the acting spotlight for years to pursue a career in boxing. In more ways then one, this is his comeback just as much as it is Randy's. The Wrestler is a truly brilliant film that wouldn't of come to be without the cast and detail it has. Darren Aronofsky is used to making multi-shot sequenced films with quick edits ala "Requiem For a Dream". This sudden change of pace in both style and focus (his attention to detail with how real those "fake" wrestlers do their jobs is brilliant) only further his credence as one of the best directors this generation. He has captured something more then a movie, something that will move you because we can see a little bit of Randy in all us and connect with that on an emotional level. Whether it be not wanting to accept the name we're given or doing something for all the wrong reasons. We want him to succeed, to triumph, just like we want ourselves to. Likewise, Rourke and this film deserve success as well, if only because movies just aren't made like this anymore. Here's for a Best Actor and Best Picture Nod. Rating: A The Wrestler hits theaters on January 23'rd, I caught one of the limited release screenings. Written By: Kyle Bulai Expand
  2. howardr
    Feb 1, 2009
    The few flaws are dwarfed by veracity and intensity of emotion throughout the film. rourke's performance is gigantic, tomei's simply superb.
  3. ChuckH.
    Feb 2, 2009
    Fantastic performance by Mickey Rourke in a wonderfully understated film that does not go "Hollywood." Marisa Tomei is perfect and the rest of the cast give an excellent backdrop to the story.
    Mar 10, 2009
    I highly recommend this film to anyone. The story is so heartbreaking and it's no surprise seeing how Rourke's performance was nothinig short of perfect. You would have to be dead inside not to pitty The Ram at the end of the movie.
  5. DavidV
    Jan 16, 2009
    Definitely a masterpiece. Although I think many of us can "see it coming" throughout the film, the true art of this film is in the storytelling and the roller coaster of emotions. Mickey's acting is beyond an A+.
  6. PaulT.
    Jan 19, 2009
    Marisa Tomei is FANTASTIC in the supporting role to Mickey Rourke's top effort of a lifetime! This movie will continue to stack up the awards in all categories and is destined to be a classic. Don't miss this one.
  7. JoshS
    Jan 26, 2009
    Wonderful acting within the framework of a story that has holes. Micky Rourke and Marissa Tomei portray their characters supremely well, but the story is hampered by the areas that get glossed over....his daughter, the budding of his romance with Pam, etc. I walked away with the feeling that this movie should have been an extra 20-30 minutes longer to cover the gaps. We're left to Wonderful acting within the framework of a story that has holes. Micky Rourke and Marissa Tomei portray their characters supremely well, but the story is hampered by the areas that get glossed over....his daughter, the budding of his romance with Pam, etc. I walked away with the feeling that this movie should have been an extra 20-30 minutes longer to cover the gaps. We're left to use our imagination to build obvious bridges over gaps left in the story. Considering the quality of acting and directing I'm positive that if some extra time had been taken it would have put this movie over the top. In the end it's a good flick, if a little short. The Aronovski style comes through and makes the film gripping and interesting. Expand
  8. EricaM.
    Jan 30, 2009
    This movie was excellent all around- casting was superb, and even if you aren't a fan of professional wrestling, you'll cheer right alongside the fans around the ring. I don't know of any actor who is better suited for this role, or who could pull it off as well as Mickey Rourke.
  9. Sarae.
    Jan 6, 2009
    John are you 10? The Wrestler is starts out as an in your face film about a professional wrestler and soon becomes a tale of survival and regret and friendship and just one man's imperfect life. It is very funny and very heartbreaking and just fantastic. Still thinking about it hours later too.
  10. PaulD.
    Jan 9, 2009
    Superb heartfelt, touching performance by Mickey Rourke elevates the movie far beyond the sometimes cliche-ridden script. Excellent support from Marisa Tomei provides an additional reason to see it and an emotional scene with Evan Rachel Wood also leaves a lasting impression. I hope that Rourke wins the Academy Award for his performance; he deserves it.
  11. danielw.
    Dec 26, 2008
    There are many wonderful things about this movie --- not least the heroic performance by Mickey Rourke and the subtler but no less brilliant turn by Marisa Tomei. The photography is also stunning -- stunningly bleak. But there are some weaknesses that keep the movie from achieving Raging Bull-like greatness, and they are mostly contained in the script. There are some truly terrible lines There are many wonderful things about this movie --- not least the heroic performance by Mickey Rourke and the subtler but no less brilliant turn by Marisa Tomei. The photography is also stunning -- stunningly bleak. But there are some weaknesses that keep the movie from achieving Raging Bull-like greatness, and they are mostly contained in the script. There are some truly terrible lines -- and it is a sign of great acting that the awfulness of them only becomes plain after you run them back in your head, shorn of the performances that give them cover. The subplot with the daughter is psychologically implausible. Still, this is in my view the best American movie of the year, fearless in ways that Frost/Nixon, Milk and their ilk can only dream of. Only Demme's Rachel Getting Married and Reichardt's Wendy and Lucy come close to. Expand
  12. tdmac
    Jan 2, 2009
    I have/had ZERO interest in wrestling, but I saw this movie when it first came out (perhaps 2 weeks ago?), and I still can't get it out of my mind. I feel so satisfied getting to see a slice of life film that didn't spoon feed me sugar bombs of "positivity", "everything works out", and "we're in love, let's dance into the sunset.". Even on life's best, funnest and I have/had ZERO interest in wrestling, but I saw this movie when it first came out (perhaps 2 weeks ago?), and I still can't get it out of my mind. I feel so satisfied getting to see a slice of life film that didn't spoon feed me sugar bombs of "positivity", "everything works out", and "we're in love, let's dance into the sunset.". Even on life's best, funnest and most easy-going days, it's more complicated than that... It is often brutal. Often messy. Really great performances...especially delivered by Mickey Rourke. Multi-dimensional, touching, heart-breaking, funny. Really great film. If you have reservations about seeing a film "about wrestling" you need ant worry. Wrestling is only an aspect to the film. It's about much more than that. Expand
  13. CarolS
    Jan 27, 2009
    Really outstanding movie. Rourke and Marisa T. were superbly cast for this. You'll remember its sweetness long after it is over.
  14. DK
    Jan 23, 2009
    Very good film. Actually stirs thought and emotion, unlike the over-hyped Slumdog Millionaire. Great performances by Rourke and Tomei. Wood's performance is the only glaring weakspot, but Aronofsky wisely gave her limited screentime.
  15. Dec 10, 2011
    A well directed film by Daren Afronsky, Micky Rourke and Marisa Tomei are more than able to bring their respective characters and all of their flaws to life in a realistic and engaging manner.. At times capable of bringing a tear to the eye and at others capable of turning stomachs, the Wrestler nonetheless enchants throughout its entirety telling a story that all are capable of sympathizing with.
  16. AdamC
    Jan 20, 2009
    I thought that there was more backstory to be told, but they left it all out. Rourke was amazing, Tomei was nude, and Wood was under-utilized.
  17. JoshW
    Jan 5, 2009
    I hated it. Seriously, Aranofsky just knows how to make me feel terrible and I hate his movies because of how skillfully he does this. It would be a treat for sure if he took all of his considerable skills and made a "happy" film. Perhaps show some range!
  18. MichaelJ
    Apr 30, 2009
    I almost didn't bother with this one. A) Not a Rourke fan. B) Not a wrestling fan. But, I gave it a shot...and boy was I mesmerized. I completely forgot it was Rourke. He was amazing. I believed it all. MUST see.
  19. AlexH
    May 7, 2009
    This is utterly the most, gut wrenching, break-out-into-tears, amazing films I have ever had the pleasure of seeing. To date, one of the best movies ever made.
  20. FergusonB.
    Dec 17, 2008
    If you want to know what wrestling is really like watch this film. Very accurate.
  21. BobB
    Dec 27, 2008
    Dead-solid perfect.
  22. Robert
    Jan 1, 2009
    Far and away the best movie I've seen this year. I really hope that it receives a big push and manages to crawl up into mainstream movie houses. Despite its grittiness I think this movie could speak to a very wide audience, especially profoundly to men.
  23. DennisH.
    Jan 1, 2009
    What a powerful movie. I have much more respect now towards the sport of wrestling, and the wrestlers themselves. How dare anyone give this movie below 3/5 stars, if they do, look at their reasoning, it is weak just like the review itself. Don't hate on the movie because you don't like the director, or other such nonsense. Great film, great story, great acting, will move you!!!!
  24. ArmitageS.
    Jan 16, 2009
    Mickey Rourke is outstanding, he completely immerses himself in the role. Great film.
  25. Ross
    Jan 5, 2009
    Great film - still thinking about it the next day.
  26. SusanO.
    Jan 6, 2009
    The year's best film, Mickey Rourke will make you feel so many things as you follow him throughout his days and nights - he is simply amazing - and what does he radiate? Kindness.
  27. ben
    Jan 7, 2009
    Unreal, emotional, introspective, beautiful.
  28. CarmineC
    Feb 22, 2009
    Unrelenting and dark, but true in story and character.
  29. RichR
    Apr 1, 2009
    Ummmm, can someone explain why Sean Penn won the oscar for that dumb movie Milk? This is some of the best acting I've ever seen in a movie. 3/4 of the way through I started hoping/praying they weren't going to kill him off.
  30. MattA
    Dec 23, 2008
    Fantastic Performance by Rourke. This sad, and slightly predictable, story is touching and moving for those who have ever felt useless in their life. When you can step back and ask yourself, "Why am i here? What am I worth?" then this movie is for you.
  31. ChampL.
    Dec 26, 2008
    Great movie, even if you dont like wrestling. Kinda sad but the strippers make up for that.
  32. Jeff
    Jan 16, 2009
    Let me say that I have been a wrestling fan all my life, and I started watching the early 80s. I heard about all the hype and I went to see it tonight. I gave it 10 because it was so well done. However, it didn't touch me the way it would for a non-wrestling fan because none of this was a surprise to me. I never experienced it, but I've read about this story a 1000 times over in Let me say that I have been a wrestling fan all my life, and I started watching the early 80s. I heard about all the hype and I went to see it tonight. I gave it 10 because it was so well done. However, it didn't touch me the way it would for a non-wrestling fan because none of this was a surprise to me. I never experienced it, but I've read about this story a 1000 times over in the business. I wasn't particularly touched the way an average movie goer might be but more sad and depressed. It makes me think of just how crummy the business realy is. Expand
  33. MikeF.
    Jan 17, 2009
    honestly one of the best non-comedy movies i've seen in a long time. i just wish there was a theater near me playing this movie so i could show my respect and actually buy a ticket.
  34. LiefS.
    Jan 21, 2009
    Anti-hollywood in every sense; i believe its going to become a cult classic in due time. The directing, performances, script, writing, scenery, everything was on point. For once I wasnt angry at the open ending it had; it left the rest up to imagination which is exactly why it was so strong and moving.
  35. PaulF
    Feb 18, 2009
    [***WARNING SPOILERS ***] The wrestler was a sad and often painful movie to watch about an aging wrestler whose glory days were fading behind him. Though definitely struggling with vanity at the costs of his body and family relations Randy definitely shows the viewer a much more human side that cares for children as well as an aging stripper who he identifies with and makes a bid for [***WARNING SPOILERS ***] The wrestler was a sad and often painful movie to watch about an aging wrestler whose glory days were fading behind him. Though definitely struggling with vanity at the costs of his body and family relations Randy definitely shows the viewer a much more human side that cares for children as well as an aging stripper who he identifies with and makes a bid for closeness. It seems Randy has made many mistakes in his life and his efforts to restore relations with his daughter and create a relationship with Pam fall short. Too much damage has happen with his daughter and ultimately Randy finds his only solace is in the ring. His colleges love him and his fans still treat him as legend though his is poor, lonely, and falling apart physically. I did not judge Randy in the end. He seemed a good person trying his best in a world less than perfect. Yes, he had his faults but not caring wasn't one of them. You get a sense some of his virtues were more new found as he faced the very real possibility of his death and or disablement. I was really impressed by Micky Rourke's acting. I really felt he stole the show. The others did just fine but Micky really shined. He conveyed a real loneliness, sadness, and introspection, as well as a spirit that just would not quit for his one passion in which he felt alive. I also found this somewhat of a cautionary tail. That all of us must one day face not only our own immortality but also that of frailty as well continue through life. When young we often live off that spirit acting like we can go it alone..... But in time we realize our human limits and need for community and family. As someone getting older himself this really spoke to me and I could identify with some of his plights. Overall this movie was really well done. A total surprise from an actor that hasn't been seen in a while. The Wrestler is not a feel good movie but it will keep your attention and if nothing more will evoke within you to think a little deeper about what someday we all must eventually face. Expand
  36. JosephF
    Dec 17, 2008
    Extraordinary performance my Micky Rourke. could turn out to be a cult film. still thinking about it hours later.
  37. RogerV.
    Dec 22, 2008
    I don't know what crack you all are smoking, but O'Rourke has always done well. He's ugly and he's bad. That's the way it's always been. Not a Hellywood pretty boy but a performer. Playing the tough parts has always been his style. WTF. Is everyone beating off to Tom Cruise?
  38. HowardC.
    Dec 23, 2008
    John, what movie were you watching? This is a terrific performance by an actor whose career has been studded with ups & downs. This is his pinacle.
  39. Nov 3, 2011
    There seems to have been a lot that was skipped in the life of a wrestler but this covered more than enough and exposed the many myths against wrestling and wrestlers. In also explains their chaotic lives in terms of how wrestling affects them. Memorable moments include the self slicing for blood (myth holds that its fake blood); constant travel means severed relationships of families andThere seems to have been a lot that was skipped in the life of a wrestler but this covered more than enough and exposed the many myths against wrestling and wrestlers. In also explains their chaotic lives in terms of how wrestling affects them. Memorable moments include the self slicing for blood (myth holds that its fake blood); constant travel means severed relationships of families and more closer to a group amongst wrestlers as family; and ofcourse the nature of taking steroids (health abuse) just to entertain since it becomes addictive. I was a wrestling fan as a child - not having watched it for about 8years now this was a refresher for me. Well done movie - felt like a documentary of a real wrestler rather than a movie. Expand
  40. Jan 16, 2011
    this was a great movie. it really moved me and touched my heart, and Mickey Rourke did an amazingly beautiful job and he gave us a bravura performance. i'm not a fan of wrestling but the movie kept my interest from start to finish. 9+
  41. May 3, 2011
    What Darren Aronofsky does here is let us take a peek into the loneliness and all to crappy life of a washed up wrestler who not even feeling anything in his life anymore tries to get the things that he was to selfish to keep. Weather this is his trying to form a bond with a stripper or his daughter. It also gives us a slight glimpse into the world of wrestling something which is doneWhat Darren Aronofsky does here is let us take a peek into the loneliness and all to crappy life of a washed up wrestler who not even feeling anything in his life anymore tries to get the things that he was to selfish to keep. Weather this is his trying to form a bond with a stripper or his daughter. It also gives us a slight glimpse into the world of wrestling something which is done fantastically. Rourke is back and better than ever as someone who is all to familiar. Expand
  42. Jan 29, 2013
    In what may as well have been a dramatised version of his life, Mickey Rourke puts in a career-defining (and comeback) performance as a warm hearted yet broken down and aged wrestler going by the alias of Randy 'The Ram' Robinson, now working part-time in a supermarket deli counter. A particular moment, when Randy is walking from the warehouse to the store, is truly brilliant, AronofskyIn what may as well have been a dramatised version of his life, Mickey Rourke puts in a career-defining (and comeback) performance as a warm hearted yet broken down and aged wrestler going by the alias of Randy 'The Ram' Robinson, now working part-time in a supermarket deli counter. A particular moment, when Randy is walking from the warehouse to the store, is truly brilliant, Aronofsky attempts to recreate a wrestlers walk towards the entrance ramp, and thus Randy slowly makes his way there, with the chants and screams of fans in his hand, epic.
    We see a wonderfully constructed opening montage of various magazine and paper covers and cutouts from the 80s showing the hey day of The Ram, all leading up to the present day.
    Rourke has embraced the character will a full steam ahead attitude, flowing bleached blond hair, fake tan and a physique resembling that of an older and battle-heardened wrestler, the fitness is there, but the age shows.
    Its a simple film redefining the message of forgiveness and redemption mixed into a excellent tale of drugs, sex and wrestling. Rourke brilliantly portrays his emotion through his famous skill of method acting (check out his clip from The Expendables) and through the masterful direction of Darren Aronofsky.
    In this film, its the little thing that make the most difference to the story being told. Rourke wears a jacket in the film held together by duct tape, this already shows perhaps his financial difficulty, or his hesitation to move on from the past. While not quite as hostile as Jake 'the snake' Roberts, Rourkes character could have very well been based on him.
    The dialogue is simple yet heartfelt, with an Oscar-worthy performance from Marisa Tomei, who is Randy's long time friend who has a full-time job as a stripper.
    When Randy has a health scare after a match (and a brutal one at that), he begins, perhaps too little too late, about chaging his career for good
    It simply falls into place, there may be some scenes hard to watch for many, there is humour in many aspects, but it is Rourke who has defined this movie as a standout masterpiece, beautiful filmmaking, wonderful acting but most importantly, a heart-wrenching story of despair, bravery, stupidity and love, see this as soon as possible.
  43. Nov 11, 2012
    Why did I watch it?
    Recorded this one a while ago as well, following its high praise on release. Oh and I used to like wrestling.
    What's it all about? Mickey Rourke is Randy 'The Ram' Robinson, an American wrestler popular in the late 80's, desperately clinging to his days of glory in the present day and scraping a living in doing so. Robinson puts his tired and worn body through the
    Why did I watch it?

What's it all about?
    Mickey Rourke is Randy 'The Ram' Robinson, an American wrestler popular in the late 80's, desperately clinging to his days of glory in the present day and scraping a living in doing so. Robinson puts his tired and worn body through the ringer against younger athletes in local independent matches fought in front of small crowds. As he struggles to pay his rent, he manages to save funds for dances from his favourite dancer Marisa Tomei at his local strip joint and makes efforts to reconcile with his estranged daughter.

Should you watch it?
    The Wrestler is a brilliant character piece from director Darren Aronofsky. Rourke is fantastic as the battered and troubled veteran unable to call time on his career. His Oscar nomination was fully deserved and on the back of that performance I feel sorry he didn't come out as winner (note - I haven't seen Sean Penn in Milk). Marisa Tomei is also brilliant as the similarly troubled stripper Robinson finds solace with. Randy 'The Ram 'Robinson
    The film is similar to Aronofsky's follow-up Black Swan, both being deep character studies of troubled leads. The film is heavy in shots from behind Rourke as he walks down corridors towards the ring or towards the deli counter at work and as well resembling the coverage of a boxer or rock band approaching the arena it gives the film the feeling of a documentary. You can almost imagine Louis Theroux providing some narration. Robinson's longing for the good times is complimented by the 80's guitar heavy score (Slash played the guitar for the score).

The Wrestler is the emotional ride of veteran who doesn't know how live for anything else and ultimately the ending doesn't matter as he climbs the turn-buckle for his 'finisher' as he has found peace back in the ring again.
  44. Nov 9, 2012
    This is how you tell a tale.
  45. Oct 3, 2013
    It's a sad, sad film. Mickey Rourke delivers once in a lifetime performance. I liked how the focus did not stray from the main character. There were no bad guys and no pressure to perform against some hunk for glory, instead it stuck with the main character faithfully and did him true justice. I was introduced to the dark side of wrestling with a hammer to the head. This guy deserves someIt's a sad, sad film. Mickey Rourke delivers once in a lifetime performance. I liked how the focus did not stray from the main character. There were no bad guys and no pressure to perform against some hunk for glory, instead it stuck with the main character faithfully and did him true justice. I was introduced to the dark side of wrestling with a hammer to the head. This guy deserves some recognition for his efforts. Expand
  46. May 23, 2013
    The Wrestler is an excellent film. One of the most depressing, yet utterly real dramas I have ever seen. Mickey Rourke gives an incredible performance as Randy "The Ram" Robinson. He is worthy of every praise he received and i'm so thrilled he was able to come away with at least an Oscar nomination. Alongside Rourke is Marisa Tomei as the aging stripper, and Evan Rachel. Both give terrificThe Wrestler is an excellent film. One of the most depressing, yet utterly real dramas I have ever seen. Mickey Rourke gives an incredible performance as Randy "The Ram" Robinson. He is worthy of every praise he received and i'm so thrilled he was able to come away with at least an Oscar nomination. Alongside Rourke is Marisa Tomei as the aging stripper, and Evan Rachel. Both give terrific supporting performances. The cinematography is top notch, brilliantly capturing the depressing tone of the film. A memorable film by Darren Aronofsky! Expand
  47. Mar 9, 2014
    Instant Classic, and it is a must see for any wrestling fan, but it is still excellent even if you don't watch wrestling. The story was amazing and Mickey Rourke played the part amazingly. Pure excellence.
  48. May 15, 2014
    The usually astonishing Darren Aronofsky gives us another great film, Mickey Rourke puts on an heartbreaking performance as an washed up wrestler, Marisa Tomei is at her best since "In The Bedroom"
  49. Nov 22, 2014
    Mickey Rourke is at his best ever in this movie. A pretty creative story in this one. Its very believable and it seems like its all unfolding before your eyes and its all real. Its almost like a documentary. Mickey Rourke just sticks to what he knows after years of boxing. One of the best movies I've ever watched.

1. The Wrestler is like "Rocky" made by the Scorsese of "Mean Streets." It's the rare movie fairy tale that's also a bravura work of art.
    Whatever Aronofsky did -- or didn't -- do, Rourke's performance comes off beautifully. The Wrestler may not be the "best" Aronofsky movie in any technical sense. But the director clearly feels a great deal of tenderness toward his lead character.
  3. Reviewed by: Stephen Farber
    Bolstered by a career-best performance from Mickey Rourke and outstanding work by Marisa Tomei and Evan Rachel Wood.