The Young Victoria

8.1

1. Jun 16, 2012
    I enjoyed this movie but it wasn't exactly "historically accurate". Not ONCE did I hear Queen Victoria's true title, which was "monarch of the United Kingdom of GREAT BRITAIN and Ireland. She was always referred to as the Queen of England. In fact all references were to England, which would have been forgivable had the writer had been a foreigner but I was shocked to see that it was SirI enjoyed this movie but it wasn't exactly "historically accurate". Not ONCE did I hear Queen Victoria's true title, which was "monarch of the United Kingdom of GREAT BRITAIN and Ireland. She was always referred to as the Queen of England. In fact all references were to England, which would have been forgivable had the writer had been a foreigner but I was shocked to see that it was Sir Julian Fellowes - who really ought to know better! Expand
  2. ArnoldP
    Jan 1, 2010
    What is wrong with a picture being Masterpiece Theatre old fashioned? It was beautiful to watch even having some historical authenticity of the times. Emily Blunt is bright light on the screen. No it's not in "Hurt Locker", nor supposed to be, It's a genre I still can enjoy, but it's not for everyone.
  3. TDKinDallas
    Jan 4, 2010
    We really enjoyed it. Luckily, it must have been made for me to enjoy and not the critics. I wish it had been even longer and more in depth.
  4. RussD
    Jan 7, 2010
    A wonderful movie! Emily Blunt is superb.
  5. LisaC.
    Feb 15, 2010
    Fantastic movie, especially when you consider casting, costumes, and being true to history. Only wish the mostly male critic population would recognize movies like this, as much as they do Inglorious Basterds.
  6. AnneD.
    Dec 27, 2009
    Enjoyed every stately minute of it.
  7. ChadS
    Dec 31, 2009
    On the eve of the coronation ball, Young Victoria(Emily Blunt) pays tribute to her most loyal subject, a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, by giving him a bath, as a way of thanking him for always being there throughout her lonely childhood. Wrapped in a towel, Dash gets the well-earned privilege of dancing with the queen first, when the royal teenager gives her dog a quick spin, amusingly On the eve of the coronation ball, Young Victoria(Emily Blunt) pays tribute to her most loyal subject, a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, by giving him a bath, as a way of thanking him for always being there throughout her lonely childhood. Wrapped in a towel, Dash gets the well-earned privilege of dancing with the queen first, when the royal teenager gives her dog a quick spin, amusingly enough, before she does the same with Albert(Rupert Friend), the future prince, later that night. In Dash's eyes, Victoria is just Victoria, his master. Same thing goes for Albert; her highness is his master, too. The filmmaker knows who wears the pants in this palace. Lounging around the conjugal bed, the day after they consummate their marriage, the moviegoer notices how Victoria elongates her body over Albert. She's on top, and never switches off to an overtly submissive position(i.e. under the man); she does, however, have a girlish side, too, which makes "The Young Victoria", simultaneously, romantic and ludicrous, especially during the holiday in the rain sequence. Lucky for Albert, fate gives him the chance to earn his spurs. Not only does the philanthropist(via Victoria's wealth) have a bleeding heart, he actually gets to bleed. Since Albert is good, the Queen of England lets the prince have a desk just like hers, and go on to rule as "equals". Expand
  8. RickA
    Jan 16, 2010
    I sure liked this one. Great acting and excellent story.
  9. BillyS
    Jan 16, 2010
    In my opinion, the coveted fifth spot up for grabs in the Best Actress Oscar race this year should go to Emily Blount. The Young Victoria is an excellent film by the Director of C.R.A.Z.Y., a little seen but brilliant film, and Jean-Marc Vallee proves that it was no fluke. All credits are top notch, especially Sandy Powell's costumes and Julian Fellows script. but Ms. Blount carries In my opinion, the coveted fifth spot up for grabs in the Best Actress Oscar race this year should go to Emily Blount. The Young Victoria is an excellent film by the Director of C.R.A.Z.Y., a little seen but brilliant film, and Jean-Marc Vallee proves that it was no fluke. All credits are top notch, especially Sandy Powell's costumes and Julian Fellows script. but Ms. Blount carries the picture in the same way that Cate Blanchett was Elizabeth. A must see for Oscar followers. Expand
  10. RobertI
    Feb 11, 2010
    She speaks! Emily Blunt brings flesh, blood, and feelings to the iconic queen. All is gorgeous--Windsor park, banquet table settings, gowns, and Emily Blunt, who eclipses the real woman in a 21st century ideal of beauty. Rupert Friend seems oddly weak, or young, to have attracted such a powerful wife.
  11. Oct 14, 2011
    More than anything else, this is a simple love story between the young Queen, and her Prince. It's - seemingly - historically accurate and, actually made me want to know more about Victoria and Albert's twenty-year reign.

Emily Blunt and Rupert Friend are excellent in the two main roles, with Friend's performance as Albert particularly enjoyable. He plays a pragmatic German very well.
  12. Dec 13, 2010
    Yet another movie that has amazing talent! 10 out of 10! Acting, score, and story were all linked to greatness. If you're looking for a movie with decency and morality, then this is a movie for you to watch!
  13. Feb 18, 2013
    Young Victoria is an unbelievably sumptuous period drama with great turns from it's strong cast. Better still, the movie is genuinely moving and romantic without feeling forced. An excellent film.
  14. Jul 25, 2011
    This is perhaps one of the most historically correct films of this genre I think I've seen. It excels in every way from cinematography to costumes. The performances are rich and honest. The characters are clearly written with historical accuracy. Emily Blunt was excellent as a young Victoria and Rupert Friend is perfect as Albert. It was a pleasure to see Paul Bethany, MirandaThis is perhaps one of the most historically correct films of this genre I think I've seen. It excels in every way from cinematography to costumes. The performances are rich and honest. The characters are clearly written with historical accuracy. Emily Blunt was excellent as a young Victoria and Rupert Friend is perfect as Albert. It was a pleasure to see Paul Bethany, Miranda Richardson and Jim Broadbent used so well as were many others. What truly stands out here is not just the overall quality of the film but the historical accuracy. This deserved a lot more attention than it received and in some respects was actually better than The King's Speech. Expand

1. The Young Victoria has a subtler flow than you might expect, and at times it's calmer than you may like. Director Jean-Marc Vallée's images have a creamy stateliness, but this is no gilded? princess fantasy.
    From the start, it feels handsome, steady, and stuck; the ties that bind the historical bio-pic are no looser than those which constrain a royal personage, and the frustration to which Victoria would later admit is legible in the face of Emily Blunt, who takes the title role.
  3. Reviewed by: Kim Newman
    An elegant, entertaining, informative picture with a gallery of vivid supporting turns, this provisionally crowns the winning Blunt as a Brit-pic star - but it skimps a bit on the bodice-ripping, blood and thunder.