Thelma & Louise

8.2

1. ShanaT.
    Jun 22, 2004
    I got lost in it. I wanted to be Thelma or Louise.
  2. W.H.
    Sep 16, 2002
    One of the best, most exhilarating movies ever!
  3. Gilbert
    Nov 19, 2002
    Bad things about T&M: the music at the ending is too loud and bombastic, and, with the montage over the credits detracts from the power (and don't worry, oh great "Ed", my lips are henceforth sealed)(Ed: Thanks, Gilbert...nice reviews, by the way). Good things about T&M: everything else.
  4. Mar 26, 2016
    Thelma & Louise is a thumpingly adventurous road pic about two regular gals who shoot down a would-be rapist and wind up on the lam in their 1966 T-bird. Even those who don’t rally to pic’s fed-up feminist outcry will take to its comedy, momentum and dazzling visuals.

Arkansas housewife Thelma (Geena Davis) and waitress Louise (Susan Sarandon) set out for a weekend fishing trip away from the drudgery of their lives and the indifference of their men; they stop at a roadside honkytonk to blow off steam, and things turn ugly. A guy tries to rape Thelma; Louise can’t take it so she plugs the creep with a .38. Then they hit the highway, dazed and in trouble.

Sarandon is the big sister, more feminine, more focused, smoldering with a quiet determination. Davis is more loosely wrapped; she goes with the flow, follows her whims into trouble. The journey into recklessness is exhilarating, which gives the film its buoyant pull. In an indelible final image, it maintains the sense of reckless exhilaration to the end.

Despite some delectably funny scenes between the sexes, Ridley Scott’s pic isn’t about women vs men. It’s about freedom, like any good road picture. In that sense, and in many others, it’s a classic.
  5. CaroleH.
    Nov 6, 2004
    This was a great movie. I could watch it over and over. Makes you mad but also sad.
  6. Sep 14, 2014
    I would've expected a reversal of roles for these actresses; however, by the film's end, you realize why they are the perfect fit as Thelma & Louise. It hits home--and we root for these gals.
  7. Jun 22, 2012
    I'm an AS media studies student and we watched this film for an example about how women are portrayed in the media. The story of Thelma, a housewife to a lazy slob of whom she waits hand and foot going on a road trip with her best friend Louise, the waitress who is street smart and quick thinking, is beautifully told by Scott. The films humour is hilarious yet still manages to keep thatI'm an AS media studies student and we watched this film for an example about how women are portrayed in the media. The story of Thelma, a housewife to a lazy slob of whom she waits hand and foot going on a road trip with her best friend Louise, the waitress who is street smart and quick thinking, is beautifully told by Scott. The films humour is hilarious yet still manages to keep that feeling of desperation that develop over the two women. And last but not least that ending, one of the best I have seen in years. Truly a classic film and something everybody should experience. Expand
  8. Oct 26, 2012
    Is a good movie and enjoyable but not the best we could get. the only good man is unfortunately the least credible. its impossible to discover why he is a better man as all the other.
  9. Apr 5, 2014
    Thelma & Louise is an acceptable road movie from director Ridley Scott. Although it might start off a little slow, the action and thrills pick up by the end, ands the messages about friendship and feminism are well-received.
  10. Oct 11, 2014
    The film received lots of criticism from those who though it to be ‘male-bashing’ and that men were represented unfairly. I believe this to be true with Hal seemingly being the only decent male role in the film. But personally what I love about the film is that it IS male bashing; it makes its point in precisely this way. Depictions of women are almost always negative and seen as inferiorThe film received lots of criticism from those who though it to be ‘male-bashing’ and that men were represented unfairly. I believe this to be true with Hal seemingly being the only decent male role in the film. But personally what I love about the film is that it IS male bashing; it makes its point in precisely this way. Depictions of women are almost always negative and seen as inferior to men in most films. So if you find this film offensive to men then, metaphorically, grow a pair and man up. Expand

It spins its wheels in a giddy sort of way, then puts the pedal to the mettle, lays rubber and fairly takes wing.
  2. Classic genre movies may be a scarce commodity, but this gutsy crime thriller and female buddy movie qualifies in spades.
    Grade A propaganda of the first order.