7.7

1. Mar 29, 2011
    Daniel Day-Lewis and Paul Thomas Anderson have created one of the greatest movies of this time and perhaps of all time. There is so much ambition, brilliance, detail, and probably everything that you would put in a great movie. I don't think that anything, and anything could top this level of amazement for me. The film has put me through a cathartic and dogmatic experience by justDaniel Day-Lewis and Paul Thomas Anderson have created one of the greatest movies of this time and perhaps of all time. There is so much ambition, brilliance, detail, and probably everything that you would put in a great movie. I don't think that anything, and anything could top this level of amazement for me. The film has put me through a cathartic and dogmatic experience by just watching. Truly outstanding on every **** level. A masterpiece. Expand
  2. Sep 18, 2011
    The movie may be slow and tedious, but that is why "There will be Blood" enlightens and amazes the audience.
  3. Dec 28, 2011
    Daniel Day-Lewis gives the performance of his career in There Will Be Blood. Receiving several Oscar nods, including Best Picture, as well as a win for Best Actor, There Will Be Blood is a story about a wicked oil man who hits jackpot.
  4. Apr 27, 2013
    By far the best performance by Daniel Day Lewis to-date and Paul Thomas Anderson's best film by far. A film that works on every level; great acting, great storytelling, great cinematography, great score. A must see film for any aspiring film buffs and a essential watch for fans of great films.
  5. Dec 4, 2010
    A work of truly brilliant madness. It's the kind of film that sticks with you for a very long time. After seeing it only once, I knew there was something special here. Daniel Day-Lewis gives one of the most fascinating performances in movie history. From beginning to end, it never stops being a crazy, imperfect, frustrating and masterful piece of cinematic history. It comes highlyA work of truly brilliant madness. It's the kind of film that sticks with you for a very long time. After seeing it only once, I knew there was something special here. Daniel Day-Lewis gives one of the most fascinating performances in movie history. From beginning to end, it never stops being a crazy, imperfect, frustrating and masterful piece of cinematic history. It comes highly recommended for anyone who is interested in film as an art form, and, in my opinion, it trumps the overrated No Country for Old Men. Expand
  6. Sep 13, 2010
    Oil that is, Black Gold, Texas Tea.
    Daniel Day Lewis is "into" oil & makes his fortune, sometimes at the misfortune of others.
    Weighs in at just over two & a half hours but I didn't think it dragged too much & the authenticity of the film is superb.
    As to be expected, Lewis is brilliant but so is Paul Dano as Eli.
    Not to everyone's taste but I really enjoyed it.
    I'm finished!
  7. Aug 27, 2010
    One of the first great achievements in narrative and character study in the 21st century. There is no doubt in my mind that this movie will become one of the great classics of our generation.
  8. Dec 16, 2010
    Great movie... original feel to movie in general and for certain in DDL's performance. Loved it and refreshing compared to the majority of movies made these days.

Best of all time... no ... but only 1-2 movies a year are made that are worth watching..... I'm so glad they are... I'm running out of old classics to watch lol.
  9. Mar 19, 2011
    UNPARALLELED!!! DANIEL DAY-LEWIS KILLS IT!!! THIS DESERVES TO BE CALLED A CLASSIC IN EVERY WAY... AMAZING ACTING, DIRECTING, MUSIC (JOHNNY GREENWOOD), ENDING... EVERYTHING.
  10. Dec 22, 2012
    I like to see movies artistically done, so this film didn't bother me exactly. It was just long, unfocused, and forgettable. The main character was not a real stretch in acting chops for Day-Lewis, and trivial parts were carried out for absurd lengths of time. Visually and in thematic details, it DID ring of some real truths and passions, which alone would make it standout against mostI like to see movies artistically done, so this film didn't bother me exactly. It was just long, unfocused, and forgettable. The main character was not a real stretch in acting chops for Day-Lewis, and trivial parts were carried out for absurd lengths of time. Visually and in thematic details, it DID ring of some real truths and passions, which alone would make it standout against most Hollywood fare, but unless you are dedicated to odd stuff, you will definitely find it a mediocre entertainment. Expand
  11. Jun 9, 2011
    Easily one of the best performances in the history of cinema! Daniel Day-Lewis is great in every role, but this one is so believable and entertaining. I found myself unable to wait for his next line. This film grows on you...it takes a lot out of you, but the experience stays with you. It elicits that slow boil of thought afterwards, which makes you want to step back and watch it again.
  12. Jan 25, 2014
    Just fantastic. This was my first film that I've seen directed by Paul Thomas Anderson and it did not disappoint in the least. The film is slow, but the acting from Daniel Day-Lewis, Paul Dano and cast, is just so engrossing that you cannot look away. The sets were brilliant and looked extremely realistic and fit in perfectly with the times they were depicting. Those who claim there is noJust fantastic. This was my first film that I've seen directed by Paul Thomas Anderson and it did not disappoint in the least. The film is slow, but the acting from Daniel Day-Lewis, Paul Dano and cast, is just so engrossing that you cannot look away. The sets were brilliant and looked extremely realistic and fit in perfectly with the times they were depicting. Those who claim there is no story are missing the bigger picture. Sure, there is no direct story, but what we are seeing is so much bigger than that. The interaction of every character and the constant "peeling back of the onion" that is Daniel Plainview and how evil he truly is make up for any story people may be searching for. In fact, I dare say that is the story; the revealing of how far a man will go to make money and how cutthroat you had to be to make it in the the time period depicted. Fantastic film. Expand
  13. Sep 17, 2012
    There Will Be Blood is a captivating film, detailing the extents of a man's ambition and, in turn, his eventual turn to madness. Paul Thomas Anderson has created a sprawling masterpiece, an epic of the most extraordinary genre, and one rich in emotion despite the fact that the lead character (acted superbly by veteran, Daniel Day-Lewis) lacks a shred of compassion. The ending is brutal,There Will Be Blood is a captivating film, detailing the extents of a man's ambition and, in turn, his eventual turn to madness. Paul Thomas Anderson has created a sprawling masterpiece, an epic of the most extraordinary genre, and one rich in emotion despite the fact that the lead character (acted superbly by veteran, Daniel Day-Lewis) lacks a shred of compassion. The ending is brutal, confronting and gut-wrenching in scope; it leaves the viewer lost in thought (and possibly weeping) as to how capitalism managed to have such an effect on Daniel Plainview. We are left in detest of the oil-man, but undoubtedly in awe of Paul Thomas Anderson's direction, for masterpieces are rare in any age. Expand
  14. Mar 1, 2014
    The best part about There Will Be Blood is the fact that Day-Lewis can give his character depth in the first ten minutes without saying a word. This shows what an actor he is. The rest of the movie falls in place from there, and is one hell of an experience.
  15. May 1, 2014
    Now to my mind, it's an abomination to consider that any man, woman or child in this magnificent country of ours should have to look upon (this particular) loaf of bread as (anything but) a luxury

I have drank this milkshake and I approve.
  16. Aug 14, 2010
    Paul Thomas Anderson is the best minimalistic director out, in my opinion. Most of his movies have been very simple but they have deeper messages in them. Definitely in my top 10. Amazing movie.
  17. Aug 16, 2010
    A modern masterpiece. This is Anderson's best film. Day-Lewis and Dano are both stunning. Greenwood's soundtrack is hypnotizing and phenomenal. The visuals are dazzling if not completely hallucinating. The black humor is outrageously funny and brilliantly placed so that only the most astute viewer and can notice it. One of the best films of the 2000's.
  18. Mar 12, 2011
    The films of Paul Thomas Anderson seem to polarise folks - I'm one who loves his films but plenty of people don't. That said this film is quite a departure from his previous work - no large ensemble cast, no contemporary / modern setting, very little humour, relatively sparse dialogue. This has the same feeling of unease as 'Punch Drunk Love' largely due to Johnny Greenwood's (of RadioheadThe films of Paul Thomas Anderson seem to polarise folks - I'm one who loves his films but plenty of people don't. That said this film is quite a departure from his previous work - no large ensemble cast, no contemporary / modern setting, very little humour, relatively sparse dialogue. This has the same feeling of unease as 'Punch Drunk Love' largely due to Johnny Greenwood's (of Radiohead fame) brilliant / unconventional score (incidental music might be more accurate). Daniel Day-Lewis plays the protagonist Daniel Plainview very adeptly - a great psychological study into the unique individuals that prosper in times of explosive industrial growth.

A great and unique movie that will surely be recognized as a classic in years to come
  19. Oct 4, 2010
    I couldn't think of a more boring movie. Good acting? Looks more like imitating Sean Connery's accent. I hated this movie so much I would actually use the poster as toilet paper!
  20. Sep 19, 2010
    Amazing. Two days in a row, and two days of incredible movies that portray humans at their most raw. Still afflicted with Oscar fever, I followed up my viewing of The Reader with There Will Be Blood, which won Daniel Day-Lewis an Oscar for Best Actor last year.

Gritty, cold and, at times, cruel, this period piece set in the late 1800s through the Great Depression, There Will Be Blood is, at its core, about the business of...well, business, versus the business of salvation. Neither are proven to be better, or worse, as the case may be, than the other except for maybe, in the end, Daniel Day-Lewis' character is shown to be more exact in his evil, while his moral counterpart, Eli, is shown to be naive in his selfishness.

Paul Thomas Anderson continues his track record of unique and heavily character-driven films, in the vein of Boogie Nights, Magnolia and Punch-Drunk Love. As usual, his characters are immensely flawed and capable of the most atrocious of actions. He's quickly becoming a master of creating characters who actually do what only our darkest moments think of doing, if then.

As usual, Daniel Day-Lewis is outstanding in his role, commanding immense strength on the screen. The Oscar was well-deserved.

My only real criticism of the film is that the portrayal of Eli's religious con-man being made into the weak, whiny hypocrite that he becomes, comes across more as a personal indictment of Anderson's rather than an necessary element of the movie, specifically Eli's senseless murder in the end. Unlike the seemingly objectivity of The Reader, There Will Be Blood shamelessly overexaggerates the stupidity of the congregation (and, believe me, I cannot believe I'm saying that since I generally believe Christianity to be silly). If Eli is proven to be a great fool, what then of the congregation who put such faith in him? It rubbed me the wrong way, but didn't make me enjoy the film less. Perhaps portraying Daniel as an empty, soul-less man is meant to counter the naivete of his enemy.
  21. Nov 3, 2010
    Very politically minded, intelligent, brutal and unapologetic. Daniel Day Lewis owns this film and deservedly won the Oscar for it. Great music, beautiful settings but it is always the story that triumphs with a finale that feels right. Much more satisfying than No Country For Old Men.
  22. Nov 22, 2011
    Another example of why Daniel Day Lewis is the best actor alive today. He delivers a powerful performance in this film and he is perfect from start to finish. The entire film is rather interesting but it can be a bit dull in some parts and make it a little bit of a suffer to get through. However great performances by the cast and overall interest in the plot will keep you satisfied till the end.
  23. Mar 14, 2013
    An irrefutable masterpiece and anyone who denies it should have their milkshake drunk ASAP. It's original, intense and pretty much perfect in every way. You can feel Anderson's engagement with his subject matter and his passion for the work. You don't feel that sense of disengagement like you do with most empty Hollywood films. This is cinema at it's best, a disturbing portrayal of humanAn irrefutable masterpiece and anyone who denies it should have their milkshake drunk ASAP. It's original, intense and pretty much perfect in every way. You can feel Anderson's engagement with his subject matter and his passion for the work. You don't feel that sense of disengagement like you do with most empty Hollywood films. This is cinema at it's best, a disturbing portrayal of human nature and the effect of power. I'm just grateful that we still have at least one brilliant Director left in the world. Expand
  24. Mar 5, 2013
    There Will Be Blood is fantastically photographed, written and acted. The central performance of Daniel Day Lewis is of legendary proportions. Better yet, the film is unbelievably funny, it's comedy blacker than the gushing oil that Plainview covets so badly. There Will be Blood is a truly unforgettable piece of cinema.
  25. Jul 7, 2014
    Paul Thomas Anderson created a masterpiece when he wrote and directed "There Will Be Blood" but, unfortunately for him, another masterpiece (ever-so-slightly closer to perfection) edged the Academy Award for Best Picture in 2007. However, in terms of character study this film is up there with Taxi Driver and Citizen Kane and, when this is combined with the indomitable performance of DanielPaul Thomas Anderson created a masterpiece when he wrote and directed "There Will Be Blood" but, unfortunately for him, another masterpiece (ever-so-slightly closer to perfection) edged the Academy Award for Best Picture in 2007. However, in terms of character study this film is up there with Taxi Driver and Citizen Kane and, when this is combined with the indomitable performance of Daniel Day-Lewis, "There Will Be Blood" is in a league of its own. Some may find this film long, slow, or even boring but there is no doubt that the fascinating message that PT Anderson conveys so successfully will still stay with you - memorable, horrifying and enlightening. Expand
  26. Jan 9, 2011
    This is literally a terrible film. I love Daniel Day Lewis but NOT in this film, there is just nothing going on with the acting. A big yawn fest. A couple of good one liners so the script isn't awful but there is just not anything interesting about this film.
  27. Mar 16, 2011
    What an amazing film. Daniel Day Lewis is haunting. Each of the 156 minutes from the initial pioneering scenes to the final Kubrick-esque moments dazzles in it's intensity. Meanwhile, the loss of consciousness, of mind, of vision, of sanity, is so subtle, is so delicate and unassuming that hours after the final credits have rolled one can only blink and say 'wow'
  28. May 16, 2011
    Never before have I seen such a well made film that was so TERRIBLE.

I still have no idea why this film gets good ratings. I cannot even discern a plot, other than a story of how corrupt people can become, be they the Businessmen as depicted or the Churchmen as depicted. So, people can be bad and corrupt? We needed over 2.5 HOURS of wasted film for this? The performances were
    Never before have I seen such a well made film that was so TERRIBLE.

The performances were excellent, the cinematography was outstanding, but there was simply no real plot and nothing to care about in this tedious film.

It is a pity I cannot score it lower than 0.
  29. Sep 12, 2011
    There Will Be Blood has to be the best movie of the decade, and an all-time favorite, and the man who helps the movie be as brilliant is Daniel Day-Lewis. He's that kind of actor that makes any film worth seeing. He played a staggering role in Scorsese's "Gangs of New York", and then makes an even better attempt in this. Paul Dano plays the supporting character as a young preacher, and boyThere Will Be Blood has to be the best movie of the decade, and an all-time favorite, and the man who helps the movie be as brilliant is Daniel Day-Lewis. He's that kind of actor that makes any film worth seeing. He played a staggering role in Scorsese's "Gangs of New York", and then makes an even better attempt in this. Paul Dano plays the supporting character as a young preacher, and boy was he perfect for that role. He should of won "best supporting actor", but at least Day-Lewis won. There Will Be Blood is a story about an oil man named Daniel Plainview and his adopted son, H.W, who make their way across California, trying to dig out every last bit of oil they can find. Having met by a young man, saying that there was loads of oil on their land. Having to travel miles to their small home, they lied and said that they were hunting for quail. After a while of the hunting, H.W found the oil. Then, when having dinner with the family, Plainview brings up the oil found on their land and asks if he could buy the land for three thousand dollars, and the family immediately says yes. But one of the family's sons, named Eliot, who's a young preacher for the towns church, disagrees and asks for ten thousand. This starts a rival between the oil man and the preacher, which will create loads of problems for both, that will also cause murder.

This film may be my favorite movie of all time. This also had some parts that gives the movie resemblance to Kubrik's classic, "2001: A Space Odyssey", but like a western version, with the long stretch of the violin, and everything else quiet. I don't really find this slow at all, the whole time it was exciting and really interesting to watch. I bought the DVD without ever watching it before (though I knew it was going to be good), and now I can easily say that I made a great decision. Please watch this movie! I guarantee that if you have a passion for film or a huge fan of Day-Lewis, you'll love it!
  30. Jun 22, 2011
    Absolutely awful movie! I saw this movie because there was nothing else on and to say I didn't like it is an understatement. Truthfully the entire movie is uninteresting, boring and supremely stupid.
  31. Aug 9, 2012
    One of the best films ever made. The intrigue of the characters; the rich themes and the great acting add up to an experience that has only been matched by few films. Sight and sound pisses me off because it seems as though they ignore all the great newer films to make themselves feel sophisticated. Mulholland drive was the only movie in the top 50 from the 2000s. What a crock!
  32. Sep 10, 2011
    an amazing film, some stunning acting from all inviolved and some of the best lines ever in a movie (milkshake!), people complaing that it lacks action or nothign happens needs to get a clue and perhaps grow up a little.....this movie doesnt hold you by the hand , it requires a little effort but gives you maximum reward.
  33. Jun 11, 2013
    Clearly this film isn't for everyone. For me, it's Anderson's best, and one of the best films of recent years, because it combines realism (which some people mistake for lack of plot) with intensity, action with meditation, and amazing performances and settings. Jonny Greenwood contributes a haunting but earthy score, whose rawness often plays off the characteristic intensity of Day-Lewis'Clearly this film isn't for everyone. For me, it's Anderson's best, and one of the best films of recent years, because it combines realism (which some people mistake for lack of plot) with intensity, action with meditation, and amazing performances and settings. Jonny Greenwood contributes a haunting but earthy score, whose rawness often plays off the characteristic intensity of Day-Lewis' antiheroic protagonist. All this plays out in terms of a revealing meditation on the origins of the clash between capitalism and religion in modern-day America. Truly a film that ticks all the boxes see for yourself why it was the most mentioned film on critics' 'best of the decade' lists for the noughties. Expand
  34. Nov 12, 2012
    There Will Be Blood is one of the greatest movies on my list because thanks to Paul Thomas Anderson, the movie is violent, brutal, and I think if Lincoln could get Oscar buzz, then call in Daniel-Day-Lewis. He's a gifted acclaimed actor and I think he delivers a calm, attitudinal, no-nonsense character in real life. Great film, should be in the AFI lists for the best movies of all time.
  35. Apr 11, 2013
    The film answers the question of how far greed can drive a man to succeed, and how far the money and in this case, oil, truly dictates human behaviour. There Will Be Blood tells the ultimate disaster of one man's mission to be the best at what he does, and discard anything that gets in his way.
    Daniel Day-Lewis puts in one of the greatest and most memorable performances of any actor or actress in the last few decades, his wispy and dominating voice truly capture the ruthless and maniacal means boiling beneath the surface, he is the 'oilman' Daniel Plainview, and he gets what he wants.
    The film opens with very little dialogue, we watch Plainview, alone and down a well, digging for oil, his perseverance and can-do attitude are apparent as he breaks his leg in a fall, but manages to get out of the well and start over again.
    Plainview and his son, HW, coax towns into letting them dig up their land in the search for oil, and when he is approached into a town with the potential of riches beyond measure, he is met with the bizarre and erratic Eli Sunday (Paul Dano), a preacher who ends up being at egotistical loggerheads with Plainview about his faith and his intentions with the town.
    After a tragic accident, Plainviews behaviour drastically changes and ulterior motive soon come to light, wanting to have so much money that he would no longer have to know people. The addition of his half-brother perhaps shows a more humanly side to him, but he seems determined and forthright to get what he wants, eventually falling into obsessive and alcohol-fuelled madness.
    An epic tale which is never without its drama, There Will Be Blood never fails to impress in its acting, writing and visual landscapes of beauty, filming in the same place as No Country for Old Men, the similarities in film style.
    But of course it is the thrilling characters that truly make this film what it is, Plainview has flashes of Citizen Kane in his determination for everything, but ultimately loneliness at what he has become.
    The film has styles of long scenes and plenty of dialogue, but what truly needs to be seen is the characters who bring these scenes to life, the ambition of Paul Thomas Anderson could indeed have been a hit or miss but what he has created is something unique.
    The often debated ending has been the subject of many talks, particularly peoples distaste for it, but as the film goes on its difficult to imagine another finish, other than the madness within.
    A truly remarkable film that never ceases to amaze in its character development, expert writing and ambitious reach that could very well be the best film in the last fifteen years. Taking it from its remarkable perch could indeed be a difficult thing.
  36. Oct 19, 2012
    after watching this movie, i became a fan of daniel day lewis... very dark and riveting movie. This should have been d oscar winning movie for me in that year..
  37. Jan 5, 2012
    First off, Daniel Day Lewis is untouchable (as always) and makes the film that much greater from his performance alone. There Will Be Blood gives us a cold hard look at the world of Oil Drilling and I loved it. It can be a little boring at times ,god knows the run time takes away from the film a bit, but the majority of the film is simply amazing and more then makes up for it.
  38. Jun 1, 2012
    There isn't much more I can say to add to the heap of praise that this move received, so let me just say that everyone who has called this one of the best movies ever made is telling the truth. Also, I want to just mention the amazing Score by Johnny Greenwood. It's hauntingly beautiful and it sets the mood perfectly. It's a shame it was ruled ineligible for an Academy Award.
  39. Feb 3, 2012
    Best movie of the 2000 decade. This sentence will fill the remaining character requirement which is 150 characters long...................................................
  40. Jun 6, 2012
    I am probably applauding this film more than it deserves, but this is my type of movie. Paul T. Anderson's direction of the film is well done which should not be a surprise considering he has been called "one of American film's modern masters". The style of atmosphere Robert Elswit creates is perfect for the films setting. The script is very good. And the acting is more or so average.I am probably applauding this film more than it deserves, but this is my type of movie. Paul T. Anderson's direction of the film is well done which should not be a surprise considering he has been called "one of American film's modern masters". The style of atmosphere Robert Elswit creates is perfect for the films setting. The script is very good. And the acting is more or so average. Daniel D. Lewis does however, a job of portraying mineral prospector Daniel Plainview, still a bigger expectation from him is held after watching Gangs of New York. Watching Daniel's relationship with his boy, especially towards the end, really makes the film's audience care for the characters. Expand
  41. Feb 11, 2013
    Where to start, on the first viewing There Will Be Blood has comfortably become one of my favourite films of all time. From the dialogue-free 15 minute opening of Plainview mining alone, to the intense and violent conclusion, There Will Be Blood is unrelenting. You cannot take your eyes off Daniel Day-Lewis. He is quite simply fantastic as the fiery, vengeful and driven oilman and deservedWhere to start, on the first viewing There Will Be Blood has comfortably become one of my favourite films of all time. From the dialogue-free 15 minute opening of Plainview mining alone, to the intense and violent conclusion, There Will Be Blood is unrelenting. You cannot take your eyes off Daniel Day-Lewis. He is quite simply fantastic as the fiery, vengeful and driven oilman and deserved his Plainview becomes so dislikeable he is likeable, and I found myself routing for him, after all he is the film. The scenes between pastor Eli and Daniel, in particular the two where each humiliates the other, are worth the price of admission alone.

Maybe I'm biased, maybe Daniel Day-Lewis is one of my favourite actors, maybe because I work in the oil industry the film's subject appeals to me more, maybe great shots of drilling derricks and flaming oil gushers set against the American West just do it for me. Or maybe not, maybe Paul Thomas Anderson has just created a truly great film, full of memorable images and lines. Although central to the film, the themes of religion and capitalism are allowed to exist without heavy handed interference from Anderson. Ultimately, neither come out of the other side smelling of roses.

The reason this film only scores 9/10 is due to the score. Radiohead's Jonny Greenwood is responsible for the score which Tarantino complimented as "one of the great modern original soundtracks of the last decade" but it just didn't agree with me.
  42. Sep 18, 2013
    A morality tale where evil is self aware from the opening credits to the bloody, seething finish. This is beyond a tone poem, something of an Old Testament caliber parable, where there's no hope, no light, just the severe presence and weight of a thick, ethically drained darkness. To call it one of the most important motion pictures ever made would be no understatement.
  43. Nov 15, 2012
    This is a big, bold film from huge talent Paul Thomas Anderson, but it
  44. Nov 11, 2012
    The acting is superb and Daniel-Day Lewis is captivating as always. But I had to drag myself through this one. It has it's moments, but overall There Will Be Blood is a like a never ending desert highway riddled with pot holes and tumbleweeds. Long winded, dry and not an inkling of refuge in sight. If only they would have whittled it down to a neat and simple package, this could have beenThe acting is superb and Daniel-Day Lewis is captivating as always. But I had to drag myself through this one. It has it's moments, but overall There Will Be Blood is a like a never ending desert highway riddled with pot holes and tumbleweeds. Long winded, dry and not an inkling of refuge in sight. If only they would have whittled it down to a neat and simple package, this could have been great. But as it stands, snooze fest. Expand
  45. Nov 28, 2012
    Daniel Day-Lewis's unbelievable performance nurtures this very intelligently written film into a deeply disquieting, perpetual steamroller of vengeance and malice.
  46. May 26, 2013
    Daniel Day Lewis was absolutely fantastic; one of the best performances by any actor I've ever seen. He was so real and convincing, every moment was just perfect. A good performance by Paul Dano as well, especially in the church scenes and the final scene. I was hesitant to watch this movie because I've heard so many bad things about it, that it's too long, boring, and that it's pointless.Daniel Day Lewis was absolutely fantastic; one of the best performances by any actor I've ever seen. He was so real and convincing, every moment was just perfect. A good performance by Paul Dano as well, especially in the church scenes and the final scene. I was hesitant to watch this movie because I've heard so many bad things about it, that it's too long, boring, and that it's pointless. I just have one thing to say, and that is this is a masterpiece. By far the best movie of 2007, and one of the best of our time. My favorite scene in the entire film is the last scene, it really puts it all into perspective. This is a brilliant movie, you absolutely must NOT miss it. Expand
  47. Jun 21, 2013
    A masterpiece plain and simple. Paul Thomas Anderson directs this film beautifully with shot after shot leaving me overwhelmed. The score helps guide the scenes with perfection. Finally Daniel Day Lewis gives one the finest performances in cinematic history.
  48. Jun 30, 2013
    Disciplined, polished, beautiful, without any surplus.
    As many reviews with low score said it, it is not fast-paced but it is not meant to be and if the only thing you seek in movies is blood-pumping adrenaline shot actions, well..
  49. Jun 15, 2014
    Many critics called it "a masterpiece" and "One of the best film of decade", then I really agree about that. You can't easily find many film like "There Will Be Blood", very rare, an epic drama film. With a story about family, oil, religion and greed, this film easily become one of the richest film ever made. Daniel Day-Lewis' performance is outstanding.
  50. Feb 13, 2014
    A great piece of art about dehumanising effects of power and money. When greed possesses people, this sin is even worse when completed with hate. A drama of a man that is full of evil purposes, he cannot love or empathise with anybody, He is feeling surrounded only by enemies, only by competitors. Anderson proves once more that this world we are living in is a jungle, where the main goalA great piece of art about dehumanising effects of power and money. When greed possesses people, this sin is even worse when completed with hate. A drama of a man that is full of evil purposes, he cannot love or empathise with anybody, He is feeling surrounded only by enemies, only by competitors. Anderson proves once more that this world we are living in is a jungle, where the main goal is to succeed no matter what are the consequences. The last scene summarizes the grotesque, making Daniel Plainview one of the best icons of the fallen man. Expand
  51. Jan 25, 2014
    Daniel Day-Lewis did an excellent job as his role of Daniel Plainview. This to me is a high quality film that deserves a lot more credibility. I recommend everyone should see this movie once, because this has to be one of the best movies ever made. Through my short years, I have learned to appreciate a great movie when i see one, and this movie tops them all!
  52. Sep 19, 2014
    Yes ...absolutely one of the best films of that year. Superb acting, taut script and all round class. Job well done! DDL and PTA have crafted an epic tale of greed and ambition
  53. Nov 8, 2012
    Only thing bad about this movie is that it's very slow paced and takes quite some time to really get into. By the end of it however, You will love it. Daniel Day-Lewis gives what is easily his best performance (and that's saying something) in this movie.
  54. Sep 14, 2012
    It is definitely a slow movie, but that's life - some things are fast and some things are slow. But both can have an equal impact. I have seen it 3 or 4 times now - I find it is quite mesmorising and the story compelling. Daniel Day Lewis is really sublime in his role, and I found the final scene to be absolute magic!
    It is more bizarre than anything else, with the story taking some odd
    It is more bizarre than anything else, with the story taking some odd turns at times and playing strange scenarios which you don't expect. Which maybe why I enjoyed it so much - it seemed fresh, it didn't spoon feed me the standard film format and put all it's A,Bs ad Cs in the right order. It was 2 years after release that I watched this, and I didn't read any reviews before I did watch it. Just because it is long and slow with odd music and even stranger dialogue, doesn't necessarily mean it is pretentious - but if you look for it to be, you will most likely find it will be. I did not, I just found it interesting and enjoyable. But then I found the hangover boring so what do I know.
  55. Mar 13, 2012
    I still am baffled at how anyone thinks this is a good movie. I have watched it twice now and both times I was so bored and confused as to what the meaning of this turd was, I had to fight to stay awake. I get the plot, but the whole moral dilemma thing just escapes me. I mean, in real life who the hell acts like these people do? The only positive things I got from this movie were theI still am baffled at how anyone thinks this is a good movie. I have watched it twice now and both times I was so bored and confused as to what the meaning of this turd was, I had to fight to stay awake. I get the plot, but the whole moral dilemma thing just escapes me. I mean, in real life who the hell acts like these people do? The only positive things I got from this movie were the visuals and the acting of Daniel Day-Lewis. Other than that, avoid this movie unless you want to be bored to tears and pissed off at the ending. Expand
  56. Mar 31, 2012
    The only reason this movie gets a 2 is because of its acting other than that zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. I almost cried because i was so bored. I rather watch grass grow in my backyard. What a disgrace this movie is and it doesn't deserve to be up for best picture.
  57. Mar 31, 2012
    No matter how superb that acting was and the overall quality of the film.....it is wayyyyyyyyyy too long and pointless. It was the farthest thing from a gripping movie. There were some very good scenes and music, but come on....so boring.
  58. Oct 7, 2012
    While I agree with most of what everyone who loves this movie says about it, I do feel that it doesn't succeed in a couple of areas where the true greats do. If there is such a thing as too much ambiguity, Blood has it. We learn so little of Plainview that when he does interact with other characters it is impossible to know when he is lying or telling the truth. This gives Plainview littleWhile I agree with most of what everyone who loves this movie says about it, I do feel that it doesn't succeed in a couple of areas where the true greats do. If there is such a thing as too much ambiguity, Blood has it. We learn so little of Plainview that when he does interact with other characters it is impossible to know when he is lying or telling the truth. This gives Plainview little motivation as a character. In contrast to the people who love this movie I feel this is why some people find this movie boring. If we had just the smallest amount of back story on Plainview I think what he does would make this movie much more interesting to those that find it boring. Although Anderson does give us very small glimpses into his characters motivation in his movies, we fail to get even that small glimpse with Plainview. Of course on the positive side Anderson has created another set of characters that stay with you for weeks after viewing the movie. He moves his characters through these worlds he creates in such a way that we become entranced with the characters and the atmosphere. Of course Lewis is brilliant and deserves every bit of recognition he has received for this role. Last but not least the final scene in this movie is mesmerizing. The final confrontation between these two characters is brilliantly written and brilliantly acted. This is one of my top 5 endings for a movie ever, from the much hyped bowling pin, to the less talked about line. "I'm done". Expand
  59. Jul 2, 2012
    Certainly eveyone is entitled to their opinion, and some may be praising it just to jump on the bandwagon. But I think there is some ridiculous accusations concerning this film. It must have been doing something right since almost every single magazine, newspaper, or awards show hailed it as one of the best films of 2007 and one of the best films of the decade. Just because a film isn'tCertainly eveyone is entitled to their opinion, and some may be praising it just to jump on the bandwagon. But I think there is some ridiculous accusations concerning this film. It must have been doing something right since almost every single magazine, newspaper, or awards show hailed it as one of the best films of 2007 and one of the best films of the decade. Just because a film isn't exactly what you expected doesn't mean you have to **** all over it. The film has a moral and a point! But it seems everyone here needs the film to shove it right in their face so they don't have to think. Pathetic. And I forgot to rate it last time sorry. Expand
  60. Jan 3, 2014
    Já começa com Daniel Day-Lewis dando show de interpretação, claro até o fim do filme. Bom Paul Thomas já tem meu eterno respeito, essa película fenomenal.
  61. Jul 31, 2013
    The closing sequence delivers on the promise of the movie's title in a manner that keeps viewers discussing it long after the picture ends. “There Will Be Blood” is not a movie that disappears quietly. Paul Thomas Anderson's epic masterpiece "There will be Blood" is a steadfast reflection of the very essence of capitalism in America, where domination, not gain, is the ultimate objective,The closing sequence delivers on the promise of the movie's title in a manner that keeps viewers discussing it long after the picture ends. “There Will Be Blood” is not a movie that disappears quietly. Paul Thomas Anderson's epic masterpiece "There will be Blood" is a steadfast reflection of the very essence of capitalism in America, where domination, not gain, is the ultimate objective, and by any means necessary.

When we first meet Daniel Plainview (Daniel Day-Lewis) in 1898, he's mining for gold in a shaft he has dug into the ground of his Texas property. He finds what he's looking for, and perhaps more. Several years later, he has shifted his focus from gold to oil and he has been able to hire some hands. When an accident results in a death, Daniel finds himself with an infant orphan to care for. He raises the child, known as H.W., to be his own. By 1912, Daniel has become a well-known oilman, and he his looking to expand his empire. Accompanied by his partner, Fletcher (Ciarán Hinds), and his son (Dillon Freasier), he travels to California to follow a promising lead. What he finds there astonishes him. He seeks to buy large parcels of property, but he is impeded in his goal by the evangelist preacher Eli Sunday (Paul Dano), who wants Daniel to donate $10,000 to the local church before he sells. After the contract is signed, however, Daniel reneges on the deal. Shortly thereafter, once the first drill has become operational, there is an accident that results in an explosion that fuels a major oil fire and costs H.W. his hearing.

For most of the film, Daniel is a fascinating character. He's a mass of contradictions: charismatic, ugly, easygoing, ruthless, silver-tongued, plain-spoken, gentle, violent. He's smart and understands how to manipulate every situation to his advantage. He understands the business of oil and transforms himself from a poor miner into a wealthy businessman. Unfortunately, the more power Daniel amasses, the more corrupt and dissolute he becomes. Anderson chronicles Daniel's personality decay intelligently. He establishes the character as an admirable individual, but eventually his morality slowly erodes. The lives of these two, Daniel and Eli, are self-centered, cunning, and ruthless men who collide and lead us into the dark, unpaved path of madness of self-destruction driven by their unrelenting greed.

“There Will Be Blood” is a rich character study of a fascinating individual who is by turns likable, loathsome, admirable, monstrous, and driven. What Day-Lewis brings to the characterization is more exquisite and complex than anything even Anderson might have imagined at the outset. His Plainview is the most gripping film performance of the year, and as his religious foil, Dano also reveals unsuspected depths. Long, but so well crafted with terrific cinematography, and beautifully written/directed by Paul Thomas Anderson. Daniel Day-Lewis and Robert Elswit both earned Academy Awards.
  62. Dec 14, 2012
    This deep, brooding portrayal of a man motivated only by greed is a haunting movie that will both terrify and amaze you. I needn't say, Daniel Day-Lewis delivers one of the best performances of all time as Daniel Plainview.
  63. Jan 14, 2013
    This movie was a classic depiction of the great storytelling of Paul Tom Anderson with incredible acting by Day-Lewis. It was an independent joy ride through the life of an oil man. A visual and written masterpiece.
  64. May 26, 2013
    Day Lewis kills. Bit by bit, he shapes There Will Be Blood into a masterpiece. The shades and story is tedious and slow but wait and see the drama and excitement you are in for.
  65. Feb 25, 2013
    This is a roller-coaster and by that I mean that its quality is very uneven throughout the whole movie. It has some amazing moments but it has some really boring moments as well. The only constants in this movie are Daniel Day-Lewis in the leading role and Paul Thomas Anderson's directing.
  66. May 24, 2013
    this movie is too awkward with an obnoxious writing i mean i know Daniel day-lewess made an awesome performance there is no Doubt about that but the writing keep you away from the story i mean why when his son became deaf he was happy ?
    why his son burned down the house ?
    why he killed his brother ? why he waited all these years until he told his son that he was adopted ? why in hell
    why his son burned down the house ?
    why he killed his brother ?
    why he waited all these years until he told his son that he was adopted ?
    why in hell he killed the monk ?
    omg i felt stupid after watching this movie.
  67. May 4, 2013
    This movie is a bit on the long side, but overall it is a really enjoyable story to follow. A class drama. Especially the ending takes the cake! I'm finished.
  68. Apr 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This films started off well, but once we've seen how Plainview (Day-Lewis) set up the business and his early difficulties in buying land to drill for oil that the film starts to take a nose dive. First of all, there is little to no character development we learn nothing about Plainview's work force, his son (who turns out not to be his son) is only developed very slightly towards the end. There are also a few things that don't make any sense i.e when Plainview abandons the boy on the train. He is returned back to Plainview later in the film, but where had he been? Where did they find him? How long had he been gone for? None of this is explained. I also felt the ending was over the top. I gave it 4 mainly because it started out well and Day-Lewis put in a good performance (not Oscar worthy though). I also thought the guy who played Eli put on a good performance too. Expand
  69. Oct 14, 2013
    The major problem of the film Daniel Day Lewis is that he is so good an actor that we were watching only him and his ways to embody the character, we almost forgot about the rest of the film, but the film in question is extremely good and thoughtful (even that sometimes bombastic).
  70. May 27, 2013
    Posted on 5/19/13 09:05 AM
    Is there any doubt that Daniel day Lewis is the best actor to ever grace the screen, lets say you put his performance aside from this film you still have Paul Dano haunting performance Robert ewlisit cinematography and gritty direction to me Lewis performance was enough but wow did I get more
  71. Jul 2, 2013
    The performance by Daniel Day-Lewis is just fantastic, and the cinematography is beautiful to look at. Paul Thomas Anderson has made a brilliant movie which is beautiful shot, and the acting by Daniel Day-Lewis is amazing.
  72. Sep 13, 2013
    Masterful film. Contains an original and interesting narrative, a lot of unsubtle bashes at religion, an emotionally charged and holy-inspired (no pun intended) performance by Daniel Day-Lewis, and a dark ending that has spawned my personal favorite quote of any movie. Has instantly become a favorite.
  73. Feb 10, 2014
    some scenes are boring. but I I need to talk about all of body, yes good film. Daniel Day Lewis carries this film on some scenes, but at the beginning of film you will see the perfect scenes.
  74. Sep 10, 2014
    I can see how many people find this movie boring but I found it really great, yes it does drag on at a lot of parts but it is just a fantastic movie. Daniel Day Lewis is amazing in this movie and deserved the best actor award at the Oscars. The visuals are also very good as the scenery in this movie is cool. Also some great cinematography kept me into this film the whole time. GoodI can see how many people find this movie boring but I found it really great, yes it does drag on at a lot of parts but it is just a fantastic movie. Daniel Day Lewis is amazing in this movie and deserved the best actor award at the Oscars. The visuals are also very good as the scenery in this movie is cool. Also some great cinematography kept me into this film the whole time. Good supporting acting and a very good all around movie. Expand
  75. Jun 22, 2014
    Daniel Day Lewis may be the crowning Jewel of this film but Paul Thomas Anderson deserves just as much credit. There Will Be Blood is the perfect example the film that will surely stand the test of time. This is easily one of the most powerful films of the decade.
  76. Jul 25, 2014
    I will resume this movie in three words: **** ING ****
    Daniel Day Lewis is not better actor than Adam Sandler or Paul Dano, and the oscar goes for him?
    This society is simply awful.
  77. Sep 20, 2014
    Do not watch this movie for the plot. Watch it for Daniel Day Lewis and his character. The character's interaction with the world is the plot, and it is amazing. True masterpiece.
  78. Nov 9, 2014
    After all the hoopla, I found the movie disappointing. It's about ambition, manipulation, power, greed, and the different forms they take in capitalism and religion. One character is a man so full of self loathing he tries to stamp out any feeling of humanity he has ever had. The other is just as bad, but with hypocrisy added to the mix. Both very unpleasant, but sadly we've seen themAfter all the hoopla, I found the movie disappointing. It's about ambition, manipulation, power, greed, and the different forms they take in capitalism and religion. One character is a man so full of self loathing he tries to stamp out any feeling of humanity he has ever had. The other is just as bad, but with hypocrisy added to the mix. Both very unpleasant, but sadly we've seen them too many times before. Thank goodness we were spared a redemptive ending. Expand
  79. Dec 3, 2014
    A superb film. Day-Lewis commands the screen with superb facial expressions and well versed dialogue. Greenwood's soundtrack; particularly 'The Prospectors' is majestic. Thomas Andersen does a superb job exploiting the gorgeous scenery as well as the zoom in shot of the well, way beyond his years of experience. If I had to be hypercritical, I would suggest to things:
    -Despite the original
    -Despite the original beginning with no dialogue, the movie was a little slow
    -The lack of a strong female character (more to do with the story maybe?)
    Overall, an excellent movie, a classic if not quite a masterpiece.

1. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    There Will Be Blood is ferocious, and it will be championed and attacked with an equal ferocity. When the dust settles, we may look back on it as some kind of obsessed classic.
  2. Reviewed by: Glenn Kenny
    There Will Be Blood is, in fact, not a historical saga; rather, it's an absurdist, blackly comic horror film with a very idiosyncratic satanic figure at its core.
  3. Reviewed by: John DeFore
    Daniel Day-Lewis stuns in Paul Thomas Anderson's saga of a soul-dead oil man.