7.8

1. Mar 29, 2011
    Daniel Day-Lewis and Paul Thomas Anderson have created one of the greatest movies of this time and perhaps of all time. There is so much ambition, brilliance, detail, and probably everything that you would put in a great movie. I don't think that anything, and anything could top this level of amazement for me. The film has put me through a cathartic and dogmatic experience by justDaniel Day-Lewis and Paul Thomas Anderson have created one of the greatest movies of this time and perhaps of all time. There is so much ambition, brilliance, detail, and probably everything that you would put in a great movie. I don't think that anything, and anything could top this level of amazement for me. The film has put me through a cathartic and dogmatic experience by just watching. Truly outstanding on every **** level. A masterpiece. Expand
  2. Apr 27, 2013
    By far the best performance by Daniel Day Lewis to-date and Paul Thomas Anderson's best film by far. A film that works on every level; great acting, great storytelling, great cinematography, great score. A must see film for any aspiring film buffs and a essential watch for fans of great films.
  3. Aug 27, 2010
    One of the first great achievements in narrative and character study in the 21st century. There is no doubt in my mind that this movie will become one of the great classics of our generation.
  4. Mar 19, 2011
    UNPARALLELED!!! DANIEL DAY-LEWIS KILLS IT!!! THIS DESERVES TO BE CALLED A CLASSIC IN EVERY WAY... AMAZING ACTING, DIRECTING, MUSIC (JOHNNY GREENWOOD), ENDING... EVERYTHING.
  5. Jan 25, 2014
    Just fantastic. This was my first film that I've seen directed by Paul Thomas Anderson and it did not disappoint in the least. The film is slow, but the acting from Daniel Day-Lewis, Paul Dano and cast, is just so engrossing that you cannot look away. The sets were brilliant and looked extremely realistic and fit in perfectly with the times they were depicting. Those who claim there is noJust fantastic. This was my first film that I've seen directed by Paul Thomas Anderson and it did not disappoint in the least. The film is slow, but the acting from Daniel Day-Lewis, Paul Dano and cast, is just so engrossing that you cannot look away. The sets were brilliant and looked extremely realistic and fit in perfectly with the times they were depicting. Those who claim there is no story are missing the bigger picture. Sure, there is no direct story, but what we are seeing is so much bigger than that. The interaction of every character and the constant "peeling back of the onion" that is Daniel Plainview and how evil he truly is make up for any story people may be searching for. In fact, I dare say that is the story; the revealing of how far a man will go to make money and how cutthroat you had to be to make it in the the time period depicted. Fantastic film. Expand
  6. Sep 17, 2012
    There Will Be Blood is a captivating film, detailing the extents of a man's ambition and, in turn, his eventual turn to madness. Paul Thomas Anderson has created a sprawling masterpiece, an epic of the most extraordinary genre, and one rich in emotion despite the fact that the lead character (acted superbly by veteran, Daniel Day-Lewis) lacks a shred of compassion. The ending is brutal,There Will Be Blood is a captivating film, detailing the extents of a man's ambition and, in turn, his eventual turn to madness. Paul Thomas Anderson has created a sprawling masterpiece, an epic of the most extraordinary genre, and one rich in emotion despite the fact that the lead character (acted superbly by veteran, Daniel Day-Lewis) lacks a shred of compassion. The ending is brutal, confronting and gut-wrenching in scope; it leaves the viewer lost in thought (and possibly weeping) as to how capitalism managed to have such an effect on Daniel Plainview. We are left in detest of the oil-man, but undoubtedly in awe of Paul Thomas Anderson's direction, for masterpieces are rare in any age. Expand
  7. Mar 1, 2014
    The best part about There Will Be Blood is the fact that Day-Lewis can give his character depth in the first ten minutes without saying a word. This shows what an actor he is. The rest of the movie falls in place from there, and is one hell of an experience.
  8. May 1, 2014
    Now to my mind, it's an abomination to consider that any man, woman or child in this magnificent country of ours should have to look upon (this particular) loaf of bread as (anything but) a luxury

I have drank this milkshake and I approve.
  9. DavidS.
    Feb 2, 2008
    one of the few films where i did not feel a minute was self-indulgent
  10. BiilyM
    Feb 2, 2008
    An unparalleled examination of one man's conflict with his soul: on the one hand Daniel Plainview is a staunch capitalist-man made, profoundly ambitious and unemotional in business; on the other a self-stated aspiring "family man" desperate for authentic contact with trustworthy individuals. The conflict that arises, coupled with an eerily affecting Paul Dano as a staunch opportunist An unparalleled examination of one man's conflict with his soul: on the one hand Daniel Plainview is a staunch capitalist-man made, profoundly ambitious and unemotional in business; on the other a self-stated aspiring "family man" desperate for authentic contact with trustworthy individuals. The conflict that arises, coupled with an eerily affecting Paul Dano as a staunch opportunist veiled by his holy mania, is classic fodder for epic film-making, and PTA-as usual-succeeds in grand fashion. Expand
  11. MichaelR.
    Feb 2, 2008
    There were so many aspects of that movie that scared the s**t out of me. It had the most realistic and wrathful acting that would rock many film watchers to their core. It was a fantastic movie, that I'm going wait to see again.
  12. SteveT
    Apr 30, 2008
    This is one of the best movies ever made, IMO. An instant classic with Daniel Day Lewis giving the best performance so far in his acting career. He is brilliant. Why 'No Country For Old Men' won the Oscar for best picture over this movie is an enigma and proof that the academy is out to lunch. I'm a Cohen brothers fan and 'No County For Old Men' is not even This is one of the best movies ever made, IMO. An instant classic with Daniel Day Lewis giving the best performance so far in his acting career. He is brilliant. Why 'No Country For Old Men' won the Oscar for best picture over this movie is an enigma and proof that the academy is out to lunch. I'm a Cohen brothers fan and 'No County For Old Men' is not even anywhere near their best quality of film making. Expand
  13. AnthonyS.
    May 12, 2008
    The movie was extraordinary. After three watches I can see how it is truley a character examination of Plainview and his realistic, darkly comic, and brutal interaction with the world around him. Anyone bashing the soundtrack obviously has little appreciation for real music, and while Johnny Greenwood may not have done the best job, his minimalist and serialist influences can still be The movie was extraordinary. After three watches I can see how it is truley a character examination of Plainview and his realistic, darkly comic, and brutal interaction with the world around him. Anyone bashing the soundtrack obviously has little appreciation for real music, and while Johnny Greenwood may not have done the best job, his minimalist and serialist influences can still be heard and appreciated. True work of art, none of the dumbed down bullshit so popular today. Expand
  14. KR
    Feb 22, 2008
    A near masterpiece. Daniel Day Lewis's performance is riveting and unnerving and disturbing to watch - but well worth watching!
  15. Aug 14, 2010
    Paul Thomas Anderson is the best minimalistic director out, in my opinion. Most of his movies have been very simple but they have deeper messages in them. Definitely in my top 10. Amazing movie.
  16. Aug 16, 2010
    A modern masterpiece. This is Anderson's best film. Day-Lewis and Dano are both stunning. Greenwood's soundtrack is hypnotizing and phenomenal. The visuals are dazzling if not completely hallucinating. The black humor is outrageously funny and brilliantly placed so that only the most astute viewer and can notice it. One of the best films of the 2000's.
  17. Mar 12, 2011
    The films of Paul Thomas Anderson seem to polarise folks - I'm one who loves his films but plenty of people don't. That said this film is quite a departure from his previous work - no large ensemble cast, no contemporary / modern setting, very little humour, relatively sparse dialogue. This has the same feeling of unease as 'Punch Drunk Love' largely due to Johnny Greenwood's (of RadioheadThe films of Paul Thomas Anderson seem to polarise folks - I'm one who loves his films but plenty of people don't. That said this film is quite a departure from his previous work - no large ensemble cast, no contemporary / modern setting, very little humour, relatively sparse dialogue. This has the same feeling of unease as 'Punch Drunk Love' largely due to Johnny Greenwood's (of Radiohead fame) brilliant / unconventional score (incidental music might be more accurate). Daniel Day-Lewis plays the protagonist Daniel Plainview very adeptly - a great psychological study into the unique individuals that prosper in times of explosive industrial growth.

A great and unique movie that will surely be recognized as a classic in years to come
  18. Sep 19, 2010
    Amazing. Two days in a row, and two days of incredible movies that portray humans at their most raw. Still afflicted with Oscar fever, I followed up my viewing of The Reader with There Will Be Blood, which won Daniel Day-Lewis an Oscar for Best Actor last year.

Gritty, cold and, at times, cruel, this period piece set in the late 1800s through the Great Depression, There Will Be Blood is, at its core, about the business of...well, business, versus the business of salvation. Neither are proven to be better, or worse, as the case may be, than the other except for maybe, in the end, Daniel Day-Lewis' character is shown to be more exact in his evil, while his moral counterpart, Eli, is shown to be naive in his selfishness.

Paul Thomas Anderson continues his track record of unique and heavily character-driven films, in the vein of Boogie Nights, Magnolia and Punch-Drunk Love. As usual, his characters are immensely flawed and capable of the most atrocious of actions. He's quickly becoming a master of creating characters who actually do what only our darkest moments think of doing, if then.

As usual, Daniel Day-Lewis is outstanding in his role, commanding immense strength on the screen. The Oscar was well-deserved.

My only real criticism of the film is that the portrayal of Eli's religious con-man being made into the weak, whiny hypocrite that he becomes, comes across more as a personal indictment of Anderson's rather than an necessary element of the movie, specifically Eli's senseless murder in the end. Unlike the seemingly objectivity of The Reader, There Will Be Blood shamelessly overexaggerates the stupidity of the congregation (and, believe me, I cannot believe I'm saying that since I generally believe Christianity to be silly). If Eli is proven to be a great fool, what then of the congregation who put such faith in him? It rubbed me the wrong way, but didn't make me enjoy the film less. Perhaps portraying Daniel as an empty, soul-less man is meant to counter the naivete of his enemy.
  19. Nov 3, 2010
    Very politically minded, intelligent, brutal and unapologetic. Daniel Day Lewis owns this film and deservedly won the Oscar for it. Great music, beautiful settings but it is always the story that triumphs with a finale that feels right. Much more satisfying than No Country For Old Men.
  20. Nov 22, 2011
    Another example of why Daniel Day Lewis is the best actor alive today. He delivers a powerful performance in this film and he is perfect from start to finish. The entire film is rather interesting but it can be a bit dull in some parts and make it a little bit of a suffer to get through. However great performances by the cast and overall interest in the plot will keep you satisfied till the end.
  21. Jul 7, 2014
    Paul Thomas Anderson created a masterpiece when he wrote and directed "There Will Be Blood" but, unfortunately for him, another masterpiece (ever-so-slightly closer to perfection) edged the Academy Award for Best Picture in 2007. However, in terms of character study this film is up there with Taxi Driver and Citizen Kane and, when this is combined with the indomitable performance of DanielPaul Thomas Anderson created a masterpiece when he wrote and directed "There Will Be Blood" but, unfortunately for him, another masterpiece (ever-so-slightly closer to perfection) edged the Academy Award for Best Picture in 2007. However, in terms of character study this film is up there with Taxi Driver and Citizen Kane and, when this is combined with the indomitable performance of Daniel Day-Lewis, "There Will Be Blood" is in a league of its own. Some may find this film long, slow, or even boring but there is no doubt that the fascinating message that PT Anderson conveys so successfully will still stay with you - memorable, horrifying and enlightening. Expand
  22. Sep 12, 2011
    There Will Be Blood has to be the best movie of the decade, and an all-time favorite, and the man who helps the movie be as brilliant is Daniel Day-Lewis. He's that kind of actor that makes any film worth seeing. He played a staggering role in Scorsese's "Gangs of New York", and then makes an even better attempt in this. Paul Dano plays the supporting character as a young preacher, and boyThere Will Be Blood has to be the best movie of the decade, and an all-time favorite, and the man who helps the movie be as brilliant is Daniel Day-Lewis. He's that kind of actor that makes any film worth seeing. He played a staggering role in Scorsese's "Gangs of New York", and then makes an even better attempt in this. Paul Dano plays the supporting character as a young preacher, and boy was he perfect for that role. He should of won "best supporting actor", but at least Day-Lewis won. There Will Be Blood is a story about an oil man named Daniel Plainview and his adopted son, H.W, who make their way across California, trying to dig out every last bit of oil they can find. Having met by a young man, saying that there was loads of oil on their land. Having to travel miles to their small home, they lied and said that they were hunting for quail. After a while of the hunting, H.W found the oil. Then, when having dinner with the family, Plainview brings up the oil found on their land and asks if he could buy the land for three thousand dollars, and the family immediately says yes. But one of the family's sons, named Eliot, who's a young preacher for the towns church, disagrees and asks for ten thousand. This starts a rival between the oil man and the preacher, which will create loads of problems for both, that will also cause murder.

This film may be my favorite movie of all time. This also had some parts that gives the movie resemblance to Kubrik's classic, "2001: A Space Odyssey", but like a western version, with the long stretch of the violin, and everything else quiet. I don't really find this slow at all, the whole time it was exciting and really interesting to watch. I bought the DVD without ever watching it before (though I knew it was going to be good), and now I can easily say that I made a great decision. Please watch this movie! I guarantee that if you have a passion for film or a huge fan of Day-Lewis, you'll love it!
  23. Sep 10, 2011
    an amazing film, some stunning acting from all inviolved and some of the best lines ever in a movie (milkshake!), people complaing that it lacks action or nothign happens needs to get a clue and perhaps grow up a little.....this movie doesnt hold you by the hand , it requires a little effort but gives you maximum reward.
  24. Jun 11, 2013
    Clearly this film isn't for everyone. For me, it's Anderson's best, and one of the best films of recent years, because it combines realism (which some people mistake for lack of plot) with intensity, action with meditation, and amazing performances and settings. Jonny Greenwood contributes a haunting but earthy score, whose rawness often plays off the characteristic intensity of Day-Lewis'Clearly this film isn't for everyone. For me, it's Anderson's best, and one of the best films of recent years, because it combines realism (which some people mistake for lack of plot) with intensity, action with meditation, and amazing performances and settings. Jonny Greenwood contributes a haunting but earthy score, whose rawness often plays off the characteristic intensity of Day-Lewis' antiheroic protagonist. All this plays out in terms of a revealing meditation on the origins of the clash between capitalism and religion in modern-day America. Truly a film that ticks all the boxes see for yourself why it was the most mentioned film on critics' 'best of the decade' lists for the noughties. Expand
  25. Nov 12, 2012
    There Will Be Blood is one of the greatest movies on my list because thanks to Paul Thomas Anderson, the movie is violent, brutal, and I think if Lincoln could get Oscar buzz, then call in Daniel-Day-Lewis. He's a gifted acclaimed actor and I think he delivers a calm, attitudinal, no-nonsense character in real life. Great film, should be in the AFI lists for the best movies of all time.
  26. Apr 11, 2013
    The film answers the question of how far greed can drive a man to succeed, and how far the money and in this case, oil, truly dictates human behaviour. There Will Be Blood tells the ultimate disaster of one man's mission to be the best at what he does, and discard anything that gets in his way.
    Daniel Day-Lewis puts in one of the greatest and most memorable performances of any actor or actress in the last few decades, his wispy and dominating voice truly capture the ruthless and maniacal means boiling beneath the surface, he is the 'oilman' Daniel Plainview, and he gets what he wants.
    The film opens with very little dialogue, we watch Plainview, alone and down a well, digging for oil, his perseverance and can-do attitude are apparent as he breaks his leg in a fall, but manages to get out of the well and start over again.
    Plainview and his son, HW, coax towns into letting them dig up their land in the search for oil, and when he is approached into a town with the potential of riches beyond measure, he is met with the bizarre and erratic Eli Sunday (Paul Dano), a preacher who ends up being at egotistical loggerheads with Plainview about his faith and his intentions with the town.
    After a tragic accident, Plainviews behaviour drastically changes and ulterior motive soon come to light, wanting to have so much money that he would no longer have to know people. The addition of his half-brother perhaps shows a more humanly side to him, but he seems determined and forthright to get what he wants, eventually falling into obsessive and alcohol-fuelled madness.
    An epic tale which is never without its drama, There Will Be Blood never fails to impress in its acting, writing and visual landscapes of beauty, filming in the same place as No Country for Old Men, the similarities in film style.
    But of course it is the thrilling characters that truly make this film what it is, Plainview has flashes of Citizen Kane in his determination for everything, but ultimately loneliness at what he has become.
    The film has styles of long scenes and plenty of dialogue, but what truly needs to be seen is the characters who bring these scenes to life, the ambition of Paul Thomas Anderson could indeed have been a hit or miss but what he has created is something unique.
    The often debated ending has been the subject of many talks, particularly peoples distaste for it, but as the film goes on its difficult to imagine another finish, other than the madness within.
    A truly remarkable film that never ceases to amaze in its character development, expert writing and ambitious reach that could very well be the best film in the last fifteen years. Taking it from its remarkable perch could indeed be a difficult thing.
  27. Oct 19, 2012
    after watching this movie, i became a fan of daniel day lewis... very dark and riveting movie. This should have been d oscar winning movie for me in that year..
  28. Jun 1, 2012
    There isn't much more I can say to add to the heap of praise that this move received, so let me just say that everyone who has called this one of the best movies ever made is telling the truth. Also, I want to just mention the amazing Score by Johnny Greenwood. It's hauntingly beautiful and it sets the mood perfectly. It's a shame it was ruled ineligible for an Academy Award.
  29. Jun 6, 2012
    I am probably applauding this film more than it deserves, but this is my type of movie. Paul T. Anderson's direction of the film is well done which should not be a surprise considering he has been called "one of American film's modern masters". The style of atmosphere Robert Elswit creates is perfect for the films setting. The script is very good. And the acting is more or so average.I am probably applauding this film more than it deserves, but this is my type of movie. Paul T. Anderson's direction of the film is well done which should not be a surprise considering he has been called "one of American film's modern masters". The style of atmosphere Robert Elswit creates is perfect for the films setting. The script is very good. And the acting is more or so average. Daniel D. Lewis does however, a job of portraying mineral prospector Daniel Plainview, still a bigger expectation from him is held after watching Gangs of New York. Watching Daniel's relationship with his boy, especially towards the end, really makes the film's audience care for the characters. Expand
  30. Feb 11, 2013
    Where to start, on the first viewing There Will Be Blood has comfortably become one of my favourite films of all time. From the dialogue-free 15 minute opening of Plainview mining alone, to the intense and violent conclusion, There Will Be Blood is unrelenting. You cannot take your eyes off Daniel Day-Lewis. He is quite simply fantastic as the fiery, vengeful and driven oilman and deservedWhere to start, on the first viewing There Will Be Blood has comfortably become one of my favourite films of all time. From the dialogue-free 15 minute opening of Plainview mining alone, to the intense and violent conclusion, There Will Be Blood is unrelenting. You cannot take your eyes off Daniel Day-Lewis. He is quite simply fantastic as the fiery, vengeful and driven oilman and deserved his Plainview becomes so dislikeable he is likeable, and I found myself routing for him, after all he is the film. The scenes between pastor Eli and Daniel, in particular the two where each humiliates the other, are worth the price of admission alone.

Maybe I'm biased, maybe Daniel Day-Lewis is one of my favourite actors, maybe because I work in the oil industry the film's subject appeals to me more, maybe great shots of drilling derricks and flaming oil gushers set against the American West just do it for me. Or maybe not, maybe Paul Thomas Anderson has just created a truly great film, full of memorable images and lines. Although central to the film, the themes of religion and capitalism are allowed to exist without heavy handed interference from Anderson. Ultimately, neither come out of the other side smelling of roses.

The reason this film only scores 9/10 is due to the score. Radiohead's Jonny Greenwood is responsible for the score which Tarantino complimented as "one of the great modern original soundtracks of the last decade" but it just didn't agree with me.
  31. Sep 18, 2013
    A morality tale where evil is self aware from the opening credits to the bloody, seething finish. This is beyond a tone poem, something of an Old Testament caliber parable, where there's no hope, no light, just the severe presence and weight of a thick, ethically drained darkness. To call it one of the most important motion pictures ever made would be no understatement.
  32. Nov 15, 2012
    This is a big, bold film from huge talent Paul Thomas Anderson, but it
  33. Nov 28, 2012
    Daniel Day-Lewis's unbelievable performance nurtures this very intelligently written film into a deeply disquieting, perpetual steamroller of vengeance and malice.
  34. May 26, 2013
    Daniel Day Lewis was absolutely fantastic; one of the best performances by any actor I've ever seen. He was so real and convincing, every moment was just perfect. A good performance by Paul Dano as well, especially in the church scenes and the final scene. I was hesitant to watch this movie because I've heard so many bad things about it, that it's too long, boring, and that it's pointless.Daniel Day Lewis was absolutely fantastic; one of the best performances by any actor I've ever seen. He was so real and convincing, every moment was just perfect. A good performance by Paul Dano as well, especially in the church scenes and the final scene. I was hesitant to watch this movie because I've heard so many bad things about it, that it's too long, boring, and that it's pointless. I just have one thing to say, and that is this is a masterpiece. By far the best movie of 2007, and one of the best of our time. My favorite scene in the entire film is the last scene, it really puts it all into perspective. This is a brilliant movie, you absolutely must NOT miss it. Expand
  35. Jun 21, 2013
    A masterpiece plain and simple. Paul Thomas Anderson directs this film beautifully with shot after shot leaving me overwhelmed. The score helps guide the scenes with perfection. Finally Daniel Day Lewis gives one the finest performances in cinematic history.
  36. Jun 30, 2013
    Disciplined, polished, beautiful, without any surplus.
    As many reviews with low score said it, it is not fast-paced but it is not meant to be and if the only thing you seek in movies is blood-pumping adrenaline shot actions, well..
  37. Jun 15, 2014
    Many critics called it "a masterpiece" and "One of the best film of decade", then I really agree about that. You can't easily find many film like "There Will Be Blood", very rare, an epic drama film. With a story about family, oil, religion and greed, this film easily become one of the richest film ever made. Daniel Day-Lewis' performance is outstanding.
  38. Feb 13, 2014
    A great piece of art about dehumanising effects of power and money. When greed possesses people, this sin is even worse when completed with hate. A drama of a man that is full of evil purposes, he cannot love or empathise with anybody, He is feeling surrounded only by enemies, only by competitors. Anderson proves once more that this world we are living in is a jungle, where the main goalA great piece of art about dehumanising effects of power and money. When greed possesses people, this sin is even worse when completed with hate. A drama of a man that is full of evil purposes, he cannot love or empathise with anybody, He is feeling surrounded only by enemies, only by competitors. Anderson proves once more that this world we are living in is a jungle, where the main goal is to succeed no matter what are the consequences. The last scene summarizes the grotesque, making Daniel Plainview one of the best icons of the fallen man. Expand
  39. Jan 25, 2014
    Daniel Day-Lewis did an excellent job as his role of Daniel Plainview. This to me is a high quality film that deserves a lot more credibility. I recommend everyone should see this movie once, because this has to be one of the best movies ever made. Through my short years, I have learned to appreciate a great movie when i see one, and this movie tops them all!
  40. Sep 19, 2014
    Yes ...absolutely one of the best films of that year. Superb acting, taut script and all round class. Job well done! DDL and PTA have crafted an epic tale of greed and ambition
  41. Dec 16, 2010
    Great movie... original feel to movie in general and for certain in DDL's performance. Loved it and refreshing compared to the majority of movies made these days.

Best of all time... no ... but only 1-2 movies a year are made that are worth watching..... I'm so glad they are... I'm running out of old classics to watch lol.
  42. MikeLee
    Apr 5, 2008
    One of my favorite movies of all time. I am not sure why people absolutely NEED to like the main character in a movie. Day-Lewis' performance exceeds any performance by Brando, Hanks, Deniro, Pacino, Penn, etc... The raw emotion you get from Day-Lewis is enough to make shivers to run up your spine. I can watch this movie multiple times but the evil that resonated throughout makesOne of my favorite movies of all time. I am not sure why people absolutely NEED to like the main character in a movie. Day-Lewis' performance exceeds any performance by Brando, Hanks, Deniro, Pacino, Penn, etc... The raw emotion you get from Day-Lewis is enough to make shivers to run up your spine. I can watch this movie multiple times but the evil that resonated throughout makes it only watchable twice a year at most. There are many quality parts of this movie plot-wise. It is all done magically without many words. The anticipation of what might happen next makes the movie fly by quickly. Expand
  43. MattA
    Jan 15, 2008
    I hate to sound like all of the others, praising Daniel Day-Lewis for his performance, but the lead actor is deserving of it. His character was a believable figure enthralled by greed and power. His relationship with his son H.W. and his hate for those around him create a complex character which strikes almost fear in the common man. The story was very interesting. There were also aI hate to sound like all of the others, praising Daniel Day-Lewis for his performance, but the lead actor is deserving of it. His character was a believable figure enthralled by greed and power. His relationship with his son H.W. and his hate for those around him create a complex character which strikes almost fear in the common man. The story was very interesting. There were also a few spectacular scenes of dialogue. I can see how some may not like it, especially if the topic doesn't interest one. However, look deep into the development of Daniel plainfield as a man throughout thirty years, and you'll see a creature worth watching. Expand
  44. Aug 9, 2012
    One of the best films ever made. The intrigue of the characters; the rich themes and the great acting add up to an experience that has only been matched by few films. Sight and sound pisses me off because it seems as though they ignore all the great newer films to make themselves feel sophisticated. Mulholland drive was the only movie in the top 50 from the 2000s. What a crock!
  45. Jan 5, 2012
    First off, Daniel Day Lewis is untouchable (as always) and makes the film that much greater from his performance alone. There Will Be Blood gives us a cold hard look at the world of Oil Drilling and I loved it. It can be a little boring at times ,god knows the run time takes away from the film a bit, but the majority of the film is simply amazing and more then makes up for it.
  46. Feb 3, 2012
    Best movie of the 2000 decade. This sentence will fill the remaining character requirement which is 150 characters long...................................................
  47. Jun 9, 2011
    Easily one of the best performances in the history of cinema! Daniel Day-Lewis is great in every role, but this one is so believable and entertaining. I found myself unable to wait for his next line. This film grows on you...it takes a lot out of you, but the experience stays with you. It elicits that slow boil of thought afterwards, which makes you want to step back and watch it again.
  48. Dec 4, 2010
    A work of truly brilliant madness. It's the kind of film that sticks with you for a very long time. After seeing it only once, I knew there was something special here. Daniel Day-Lewis gives one of the most fascinating performances in movie history. From beginning to end, it never stops being a crazy, imperfect, frustrating and masterful piece of cinematic history. It comes highlyA work of truly brilliant madness. It's the kind of film that sticks with you for a very long time. After seeing it only once, I knew there was something special here. Daniel Day-Lewis gives one of the most fascinating performances in movie history. From beginning to end, it never stops being a crazy, imperfect, frustrating and masterful piece of cinematic history. It comes highly recommended for anyone who is interested in film as an art form, and, in my opinion, it trumps the overrated No Country for Old Men. Expand
  49. Mar 14, 2013
    An irrefutable masterpiece and anyone who denies it should have their milkshake drunk ASAP. It's original, intense and pretty much perfect in every way. You can feel Anderson's engagement with his subject matter and his passion for the work. You don't feel that sense of disengagement like you do with most empty Hollywood films. This is cinema at it's best, a disturbing portrayal of humanAn irrefutable masterpiece and anyone who denies it should have their milkshake drunk ASAP. It's original, intense and pretty much perfect in every way. You can feel Anderson's engagement with his subject matter and his passion for the work. You don't feel that sense of disengagement like you do with most empty Hollywood films. This is cinema at it's best, a disturbing portrayal of human nature and the effect of power. I'm just grateful that we still have at least one brilliant Director left in the world. Expand
  50. KaseyS
    Jan 7, 2008
    I still can't get it out of my mind. Horrifying. Excellent. I praise the return of silence in movies. It makes the sparse dialogue that much more meaningful.
  51. GlennC
    Jan 7, 2008
    Audrey, you are a complete moron. This film was the best of the year. Go see a terrible film like P.S. I love you.
  52. Toddb
    Mar 2, 2008
    I would let day-lewis sleep with my wife just to raise his offspring. thats all that needs to be said he's a genius and you people who think this movie is boring or over hyped, go watch your saw movies and shut the hell up. your uncultured and useless to society.
  53. JayM.
    Apr 8, 2008
    It may very well be the best film of 2007; certainly time will be kind to this eccentric, almost Wellesian masterpiece from Paul Thomas Anderson. Can he follow it up with anything like an Ambersons for a one-two puch to achieve true greatness?
  54. DerickK
    Mar 20, 2010
    I believe I am the only person on earth who watches this movie for fun. I've seen it 8 times.
  55. noelw
    Jan 2, 2008
    best american movie since taking of pelham 123
  56. BlakeJ
    Jan 30, 2008
    The new American epic. Daniel Plainview will resonate forever as a man trying to accomplish the American Dream. Day-Lewis' performance is mesmerizing. In every frame he IS Plainview. From the first scene you know you're dealing with a Goliath. Paul Dano will surely move from this movie and become one of the next big stars, I predict an Oscar in his future. Paul Thomas Anderson The new American epic. Daniel Plainview will resonate forever as a man trying to accomplish the American Dream. Day-Lewis' performance is mesmerizing. In every frame he IS Plainview. From the first scene you know you're dealing with a Goliath. Paul Dano will surely move from this movie and become one of the next big stars, I predict an Oscar in his future. Paul Thomas Anderson crafts the perfect story...everything circling his main character...The whole time I was trying to figure out who the antagonist was...but then I realized Plainview is his own protagonist and antagonist...he is ultimately the one at fault for his downfall, a downfall not dissimilar to that of Scarface. Expand
  57. Zaj
    Jan 9, 2008
    Audrey, the deal is your ignorance. Do you eat feces daily? Because clearly you have an appetite for shit.
  58. TerryR.
    Feb 10, 2008
    Don't worry, Jamie L., the video game will come out soon and you'll get to blow things up and buy a lot of "bling" with the oil money: your wasted three hours will all be worth it then! Seriously, though, "boring"?! Did you actually watch the movie? Did you watch D.D.L.'s decent into paranoid madness? This movie is definitely one of the years best (2007), if not one of the Don't worry, Jamie L., the video game will come out soon and you'll get to blow things up and buy a lot of "bling" with the oil money: your wasted three hours will all be worth it then! Seriously, though, "boring"?! Did you actually watch the movie? Did you watch D.D.L.'s decent into paranoid madness? This movie is definitely one of the years best (2007), if not one of the decades, and D.D.L., again, gives a masterful spin on a man trying to make people love and respect him while simultaneously pushing everyone away. Two scenes alone make this movie amazing - the scene where he runs with H.W. in his arms and when his "son" returns from "school" and they're in the restaurant together. Both show the conflict of emotions in D.D.L.'s character and are mesmerizing to watch. The score was perfect to reflect what was going on underneath Daniel Plainview's (PlainVIEW, John S.) steely exterior and to give the dry, arid landscape a sort of creepy quality, and the supporting cast was perfect (can you "overact" if your character is an evangelist?). Thank you, Paul Thomas Anderson for not filling in all the blanks. What is the motivation behind the Plainview character? What's the significance of family when commerce gets in the way? At what point does your environment take over in determining the type of person you are? Collapse
  59. LeslieW.
    Feb 10, 2008
    The best film I've seen in years! The score was wonderfully juxtaposed against the story. Day-Lewis performance was the best of his career, wicked and frightening, passionately paranoid, completely, madly driven! Paul Dano is incredible. I can't wait to see it again.
  60. EliS.
    Feb 20, 2008
    This should definitely win Best Picture. Daniel Day Lewis has the performance of the year, and the underrated supporting work by Paul Dano as an evangelical preacher was snubbed for Best Supporting Actor. The haunting theme still resonates, the score is fantastic, it never gets boring and it's as deliciously, scarily dark as Plainview's oil wells.
  61. IanS-H
    Feb 3, 2008
    I honestly can't remember the last time I've been so giddy and satisfied after seeing a movie. Music/Cinematography/Acting... all stunning. Stop reading review and go see it. It's pretty obvious by this point (A metacritic 92!!) that it's worth seeing.
  62. ChipG.
    Feb 5, 2008
    Great acting by Daniel Day Lewis, beautiful cinematography, fascination editing, mesmerizing soundtrack, solid writing, original directing style all combine to make this a great movie. I must disagree with the criticism that there is not sufficient character development. Dramatic movies are interesting only if it is not a foregone conclusion that the characters will conquer there demons Great acting by Daniel Day Lewis, beautiful cinematography, fascination editing, mesmerizing soundtrack, solid writing, original directing style all combine to make this a great movie. I must disagree with the criticism that there is not sufficient character development. Dramatic movies are interesting only if it is not a foregone conclusion that the characters will conquer there demons in the end; otherwise one is confined to the sub-genre of the story of the epic hero. I will admit feeling some sympathy for the main character, Daniel Plainview (though not of course condoning his violence). In the beginning you see that he is a solitary prospector; a path often pursued by those who know that the baseness of the human condition overly inflames their passions. I hold back on a rating of 10, because I thought the conclusion between Daniel and his son H.W. was somewhat rushed, compared to the pacing of the rest of the movie. If Anderson felt (or was told) the movie was too long, then tough choices should have been made to cut or shorten other scenes to give that relationship the denouement it deserved. This is a DVD I will purchase for my personal collection. Expand
  63. Chris
    Mar 2, 2008
    I am disappointed to see the user score of this movie to be a 7.5 I probably would have agreed witht hat score while I was watching the film. I feel that while I was watching the film, I did not appreciate. But now that it is over, and I am not watching it anymore. I appreciate it a lot more. It was an amazing film. People who didn't like it are either too old fashioned forI am disappointed to see the user score of this movie to be a 7.5 I probably would have agreed witht hat score while I was watching the film. I feel that while I was watching the film, I did not appreciate. But now that it is over, and I am not watching it anymore. I appreciate it a lot more. It was an amazing film. People who didn't like it are either too old fashioned for a movie like this or have the attention span of a 7 year old. For those of us that have no problem keeping our attention focused on this masterpiece through out its entirety (which is long compared to most movies) appreciate it. I have heard people claiming the last scene to be funny and not needed. To me, the ending scene was amazing. It was kind of funny, but only because if you were to have any other reaction to it, you might slip into a deep depression of which you might never come out of. Now, I am being slightly over the top / sarcastic but seriously. If you didnt laugh through out the entire movie, then you must not have any emotion left in you. I felt I needed to laugh at some parts to keep myself from feeling terrible. Like i said before, the ending was amazing. The now famous milkshake speech and the Title / Ending Scene correlation are something that nobody should miss out on. One of the best movies I have ever seen and as you are watching it, even if you get bored or ancy, stick it out to the end and you will thank yourself. It is truly an amazing movie. one last thought: Daniel Day Lewis is an amazing actor...... Expand
  64. RichardB.
    Apr 8, 2008
    This movie was masterfully shot and acted, particularly by Day-Lewis and the actor who played H.W. For all those who (seem) to hate this movie because it's unpleasant, I beg you to consider how much that should affect your rating. You do not need to like a movie to rate it highly, and this is a tremendous movie. All those who think it's boring...well, what to say? You're This movie was masterfully shot and acted, particularly by Day-Lewis and the actor who played H.W. For all those who (seem) to hate this movie because it's unpleasant, I beg you to consider how much that should affect your rating. You do not need to like a movie to rate it highly, and this is a tremendous movie. All those who think it's boring...well, what to say? You're wrong. It's quite simple. Expand
  65. NolanB.
    Apr 9, 2008
    Loved this movie. Visually brilliant, paced perfectly. Wonderful, wonderful, beyond wonderful. Paul Dano, PT Anderson, Daniel Day Lewis. Great movie, wholly recommended
  66. JasonC.
    May 16, 2008
    I thought Daniel day lewis was spectacular. He certainly deserved the award for best actor, and I thought this was easily the second best film of the year, behind No Country.
  67. JacobM.
    May 19, 2008
    Definitely a must-see. Day-Lewis explores his character yet again perfectly.
  68. ChrisM.
    Jun 8, 2008
    Amazing movie, script, acting. Shocking, tense, gripping..I could NOT stop watching this film.
  69. TPSK_Dual
    Dec 3, 2009
    On verge of souding hyperbolic, I regard "There will be blood" as unheralded modern masterpiece in tradition of John Huston and John Ford. Done in vein of a character study in proportions of Welles "Citizen Kane". DDL's performance merits engagement on its own, he functions as a Vehicle for an extremely ambitious film with an aggressively driven protagonist, Intense to a great On verge of souding hyperbolic, I regard "There will be blood" as unheralded modern masterpiece in tradition of John Huston and John Ford. Done in vein of a character study in proportions of Welles "Citizen Kane". DDL's performance merits engagement on its own, he functions as a Vehicle for an extremely ambitious film with an aggressively driven protagonist, Intense to a great degree, and yet with nuance no less important. The film is centered on the dawn of 20th century, with themes resonating to present-day. Something that works on different levels. Starting with personal & cultural decadency, the facade, and overblown- uprightness of the nation through two important factions of it. A bold framework, and a denouement that answers and questions in equal measures. Qualities akin to "Apocalypse now" in that respect. "There will be blood" carries a polemical subtext on Oil and Religion, Capitalism and Evangelism - the fraudulence of it all. In a Dickensian quality (not narrative or thematic methods), presents failed human beings. With that, the ability to "attack but not necessarily antagonize" is achieved. At least to yours truly, it is less problematic. The narrative is NOT a mere carrier for such reflections. However, by canons of film criticism, it is essential the social and political persuasions of the creation had to be dissected. The very absence of such a statement is in itself a political viewpoint. The filmmaker cannot hide. One couldn't make a film on carpentry without churning woods. It's a simple story, Oil prospector in Daniel Plainview, and a young priest, Eli, are two-fold manifestation of essentially the same. Daniel Plainview is flamed by burning desire to "hunt" for gold, by fermentation of his blood & sweat. As a characteristic baron/salesman, connives people for cheap off their land to drill oil. Eli is of ignoble ilk, connives people with false prophecies and superstition. they are both failed human beings. A film theorist once said films are moving pictures with accompanying sound. The story and themes are excuses to entice & indulge the audience. There will be blood provides enough to relish the experience. The Oil drilling has never been captured cinematically and as thrillingly as in show here. This being the primal period of drilling, the film stays true to some of the medieval methods, with stew-pans and sauce-pots. An unreliable Pumpjack made with manual shafts. There will Be casualties, but the drive of the protagonist remains unmatched for treasure. In that, it is no different to "Treasure of Sierra Madre" and many great Hollywood epics from 30-40s. There is one major set-piece where the fire gulfs from ground. Visual metaphors are aplenty in this film. Yet, such cinematic devices and symbolism are not aberrations to the narrative. A final word on DDL's performance to end this writeup. His rendition is probably the best of modern era. When we see him as aging Plainview and transformation to an Ogre, we are convinced he had gone through all the dangers and asperities of hands-on Oil drilling and failed human connection. His rough edged surface is backed with other subtleties. His reaction, introspections, and secretive quirks in private, especially to his son & faux-brother, are utter genius. This film also makes use of father-son thematics like other PTA films. Such nuance in acting. Expand
  70. aarons
    Mar 30, 2009
    I could give this a ten, but I'd have to watch it again to decide. The slow pace may turn some away, but I found that, in the end, it turned out to be a very good movie. One question, though. WHAT'S WITH THE AMERICAN RATING? How can this movie possibly be rated R?
  71. MarvinWright
    Aug 4, 2009
    I don't have anything to add that hasn't been said already - this film is outstanding in every sense. . . . Something that troubles me, though, are the reactions of some of my fellow TWBB fans - Iain F and Nikko C ? . . . good grief guys - did some boorish prol torment you as children? Why the vitreol? Didn't I see you two rallying against public insensitivity on the boardI don't have anything to add that hasn't been said already - this film is outstanding in every sense. . . . Something that troubles me, though, are the reactions of some of my fellow TWBB fans - Iain F and Nikko C ? . . . good grief guys - did some boorish prol torment you as children? Why the vitreol? Didn't I see you two rallying against public insensitivity on the board for NCFOM too (an excellent film, certainly, but not as good as TWBB)? . . . I mean, just what is it that you think you're accomplishing? Shaming people for being boobs? The only thing you're accomplishing is showing people how to be dicks. Expand
  72. AricM
    Feb 6, 2010
    There is so much to take away from this film. But it does require a great deal of intelligence and emotional depth to appreciate. If you are an emotionally blocked person or have trouble concentrating on things - this is not a movie for you. One of the best films ever made.
  73. KidA
    Mar 14, 2010
    @Robert M - "the movie failed to make me care about an ambitious, cold hearted oil tycoon" - that's the point, you moron. The film clearly isn't trying to make you care about him - he's a totally irredeemable character, and a great one at that. Also, lay off the exclamation marks. A true modern great.
  74. AaronG
    Mar 4, 2010
    If you enjoy slow films that tell a story, get academy awards, and start internet memes (a la "I drink your milkshake"), this is a must-see.
  75. ChrisK.
    Dec 20, 2007
    A jaw-dropping performance by Day-Lewis. Give him every award imaginable.
  76. DmitryP.
    Dec 20, 2007
    "There Will Be Blood" is at least as good a movie as Shakespeare's "Richard III" is a play. Both present a monumentally monstrous, yet completely human, central character, whom you watch riveted and repulsed for the longest time before realizing you're staring at a mirror. All the performances, the cinematography, the music, the production design are superlative. The story leaps "There Will Be Blood" is at least as good a movie as Shakespeare's "Richard III" is a play. Both present a monumentally monstrous, yet completely human, central character, whom you watch riveted and repulsed for the longest time before realizing you're staring at a mirror. All the performances, the cinematography, the music, the production design are superlative. The story leaps from climax to climax, to a final scene of such jolting intensity, I couldn't breathe. People have compared this movie to the work of Stanley Kubrick, John Huston, David Lean. i think any one of them would have been proud to have made it. Expand
  77. MattH.
    Jan 10, 2008
    One of the greatest movies that I have ever seen. Daniel Day-Lewis gives his best performance to date. PT Anderson's directiopn is flawles. Paul Dano shows great promise in a pivotal role in the film. Great Location, great supporting cast, and for a long movie it does keep you captivated and wanting more the whole time. I can't wait until it's released wide, so I can see it One of the greatest movies that I have ever seen. Daniel Day-Lewis gives his best performance to date. PT Anderson's directiopn is flawles. Paul Dano shows great promise in a pivotal role in the film. Great Location, great supporting cast, and for a long movie it does keep you captivated and wanting more the whole time. I can't wait until it's released wide, so I can see it again. PS Thank you to Allied ad company for the pass to the screening. Expand
  78. NormD.
    Jan 1, 2008
    Probably the best film of 2007. (albeit another weak year---compare to 1974) Certainly the most successful in achieving its objectives thematically while enthralling and disturbing its audience. The only point holding this film from perfection is ironically its limited scope: in seeking to capture the essence of the Entreprenurial Spirit, its abundant flaws but inherent honesty, Anderson Probably the best film of 2007. (albeit another weak year---compare to 1974) Certainly the most successful in achieving its objectives thematically while enthralling and disturbing its audience. The only point holding this film from perfection is ironically its limited scope: in seeking to capture the essence of the Entreprenurial Spirit, its abundant flaws but inherent honesty, Anderson abandons a more far reaching exploration into the American psyche. That's okay, he has a career ahead to tackle everything. And with best director and best picture Oscars from this film, he should be granted a couple of opportunities. Here's hoping he casts DD Lewis in his next opuses and stays away from the John Reillys of the world. Expand
  79. ScottBarney
    Jan 17, 2008
    I truly enjoyed it, and thought the 2.5 hours flew by. My husband found it interesting from an engineering standpoint (learning about how oil rigs were built and laid at the turn of the 20th century) but found the film long-winded and a bit too much dialog. So some of you will like it, others won't;if you don't like films that are slow-action, you probably won't like this one.
  80. RV
    Jan 18, 2008
    After reading the review of the reviews of this movie I was immediately amazed! Never have I been moved by such poignant criticism of criticism. Seeming to take the term "Metacritic" in an unexpectedly creative direction, Joel K turns the lens of the popular website's comment section back in on itself, describing the reviews as "patheitc." Also stating, "Was ready to see this film,"After reading the review of the reviews of this movie I was immediately amazed! Never have I been moved by such poignant criticism of criticism. Seeming to take the term "Metacritic" in an unexpectedly creative direction, Joel K turns the lens of the popular website's comment section back in on itself, describing the reviews as "patheitc." Also stating, "Was ready to see this film," Joel K poses as an individual none to familiar with proofreading or personal pronouns in a successful effort to skewer those without such acute senses of critical irony. He gets a ten! Expand
  81. GaryB.
    Jan 19, 2008
    There Will Be Blood is one of the greatest films made in many years. It has grabbed me and will not let go. It was a pleasure reading the critics insightful reviews. I have seen it twice in three days and will be seeing it again very soon and again and again.
  82. GregT
    Jan 20, 2008
    Wow... Simply brilliant
  83. NickA.
    Jan 23, 2008
    P.T. Anderson has had one dynamite career thus far
  84. DustB.
    Jan 28, 2008
    From Day-Lewis, who has been garnering universal acclaim for this movie for a reason; to Paul Dano, who also impresses beyond all expectations; to the direction, which feels almost Kubrickian it, along with the film's style, is that good; to the music, which is pulse-pounding and amazing; There Will Be Blood is an endeavor in superior filmmaking and storytelling, the likes of which From Day-Lewis, who has been garnering universal acclaim for this movie for a reason; to Paul Dano, who also impresses beyond all expectations; to the direction, which feels almost Kubrickian it, along with the film's style, is that good; to the music, which is pulse-pounding and amazing; There Will Be Blood is an endeavor in superior filmmaking and storytelling, the likes of which no one should miss. I see a comment by a "joe k." who thinks the critics praising this film have severely lost touch with the movie-going public. And yet his review is nothing but quoting them and somehow trying to disprove (and commenting on someone's lack of punctuation. Yes, we get it, commas make you intellectually superior) their praise. Ah yes, and then he made a wonderful comparison to the human body regarding this film in an attempt to be clever. And yet here I am, an average movie-goer, and I rate this movie a 10/10. Perhaps some people just don't have an appreciation of cinema anymore. Real shame. Go see this movie. Expand
  85. MikeW.
    Jan 28, 2008
    I'm sorry if your attention span is that of a chimp, because this is one of the most well written and cleverly crafted movies I've seen in a long time. The acting alone could make this movie great, but its the character development and the dramatic turning points in the story that make this movie great.
  86. AnonymousMC
    Jan 30, 2008
    There Will Be Blood is easily the greatest disaster film ever made. Plainview is less a man than he is a volcano, that we watch percolate for nearly 2.5 hours before it explodes in the appropriate climax the film had been working towards the entire time. Unlike, your typical piece of crap disaster film there is no Brosnan running around to save the women and children...the disaster wins!There Will Be Blood is easily the greatest disaster film ever made. Plainview is less a man than he is a volcano, that we watch percolate for nearly 2.5 hours before it explodes in the appropriate climax the film had been working towards the entire time. Unlike, your typical piece of crap disaster film there is no Brosnan running around to save the women and children...the disaster wins! Plainview destroys all in his path, sucking them dry of their humanity (both lit and figuratively) as he did the earth of its oil. No one is spared Plainview's wrath that was brought to life be an excellent performance from Daniel Day Lewis.
    The film's score is one of the best in recent memory as it manages to be both Kubrickian and Hitchockian. The landscaping shots and set-pieces like the oil well catching fire, were simply perfect. Perhaps people just "want to be different" or do not like Kubrick either, but There Will Be Blood is not only the best film of 2007, but also the best of the decade thus far.
  87. OshiA.
    Jan 30, 2008
    May be slightly better than No Country for Old Men, but only due to its relevance in current culture.
  88. ErichH-L
    Jan 5, 2008
    Forgive my plain spoken words: a masterpiece.
  89. roberti.
    Jan 5, 2008
    The most powerful portrait of evil I've ever seen, without any reasons why.
  90. DN
    Awesome!!!
  91. NickS
    Jan 6, 2008
    saw this when it came out. an amazing film. the best film to come out in the last five years. i was torn between this and No Country For Old Men, but Day-Lewis won me over. a true good for sake American epic. p.t.anderson is a genius hands down. Warning: if you are an idiot and like to ask questions while watching a movie, then this is not for you. sad really when people cant fallow saw this when it came out. an amazing film. the best film to come out in the last five years. i was torn between this and No Country For Old Men, but Day-Lewis won me over. a true good for sake American epic. p.t.anderson is a genius hands down. Warning: if you are an idiot and like to ask questions while watching a movie, then this is not for you. sad really when people cant fallow coherent storytelling. if this film is too advanced for those of whom i speak of, then please feel free to exchange your tickets for National Treasure 2 or something along the same lines. Expand
  92. THATMOVIEGUY
    Jan 6, 2008
    This movie has the perfection of Kubrick. That may say it all right there, but when you combine that concept with a PT Anderson, that has come out of hibernation, more equipped and clever than ever before (which is saying A LOT), you have a true Masterpiece on your hands. Choosing Jonny Greenwood's music for the score was pure genius. Having said in an interview with Henry Rollins This movie has the perfection of Kubrick. That may say it all right there, but when you combine that concept with a PT Anderson, that has come out of hibernation, more equipped and clever than ever before (which is saying A LOT), you have a true Masterpiece on your hands. Choosing Jonny Greenwood's music for the score was pure genius. Having said in an interview with Henry Rollins while TWBB was still in pre-production, that he was imagining violent Polish composer Penderecki's music along the script, commissioning Greenwood is 2 steps beyond that. NOT b/c he's melody maker of Radiohead, but b/c his own love for atonal modern classical, and recent ventures in this (the pieces he's written and performed recently for the BBC), is the true marraige needed to take this film into the realm of classics (such as A Clockwork Orange and Wendy Carlos' revolutionary use of the Mood Synthesizer). Daniel Day Lewis give one of the greatest performances of our time. The character is so deep and mysterious, yet so uncompromisingly real, his role in this movie truly embodies how much an actor really can do as an artist in this age of movies, centered more around flashy blahblahblah and a "clever" script at best. There Will Be Blood is NOT a "clever movie" ("Memento", "Fight Club", "Magnolia"). It isn't even a breakthrough return to form movie ("No Country for Old Men"). It's a timeless movie, that has as much depth as it does immediate, if mainly aesthetic, satisfaction. It's not a David Lynch type movie, for film snobs only, like myself. It holds a strong narrative that I'm confidant would connect to the widest of audiences. There are so many nuances to this movie that I seem to realize day after day, after having seen it new things. I have no idea when the last time THAT happened to me after seeing a movie. If ever... There Will Be Blood, grabs my boyish love for the film art form, and carries me away into realms of divine bliss. Bliss. Expand
  93. EZimm
    Jan 7, 2008
    simply a fantastic movie. no critics are wrong in declaring this the year's best film. Day-Lewis is a modern marvel. He embodies his character. the score by Greenwood is exceptional. everything about this movie is great. for people saying it's boring and doesnt go anywhere....jesus, you need to get your head out of the sand. if you want formulaic drivel you might want to apply simply a fantastic movie. no critics are wrong in declaring this the year's best film. Day-Lewis is a modern marvel. He embodies his character. the score by Greenwood is exceptional. everything about this movie is great. for people saying it's boring and doesnt go anywhere....jesus, you need to get your head out of the sand. if you want formulaic drivel you might want to apply for a job with Disney. save me all the high-brow language too. it's unnecessary...if you want to feel smart you can continue reading the dictionary for fun to 4th graders Expand
  94. BzzD.
    Jan 7, 2008
    For all the good reasons shared by others, this is what a movie should be. I'm mainly writing to get a rating in, and to comment on people such as Glen C.'s "reviews": Shame on you, you pretentious fop, for writing a sour, niggling review that spoils a major plot twist for all who are kind enough to take the time to read your words. "This commentator" wonders what "pedestrian For all the good reasons shared by others, this is what a movie should be. I'm mainly writing to get a rating in, and to comment on people such as Glen C.'s "reviews": Shame on you, you pretentious fop, for writing a sour, niggling review that spoils a major plot twist for all who are kind enough to take the time to read your words. "This commentator" wonders what "pedestrian mainstream" you barely flopped out of, as your "hollow posturing" indicates an overwrought effete snob at work. To not even respect that you may ruin something for someone else is the lowest form of "shallow meditation". Glen C. is a shameful spoiler! This movie is great! Expand
  95. Dave
    Jan 9, 2008
    Fantastic film! The performance from Daniel Day-Lewis may be his best ever, possibly even better than My Left Foot. I'm not sure how people can rate this a zero. It deserves every award it is nominated for and wins.
  96. Alexandra
    Jan 9, 2008
    Exceptional character study. Exceptional score. Exceptional acting. Daniel Day Lewis is my hero.
  97. GaborA.
    Jan 9, 2008
    A flawed masterpiece. So much so that further description of this film is challenging. It evokes similar feelings in me as Heart of Darkness or a good McCarthy novel where the story is not all that engrossing but the characters, themes, and the craft are so perfect that its still utterly captivating. I'm still convinced the ending was problematic for PT with numerous rewrites. It A flawed masterpiece. So much so that further description of this film is challenging. It evokes similar feelings in me as Heart of Darkness or a good McCarthy novel where the story is not all that engrossing but the characters, themes, and the craft are so perfect that its still utterly captivating. I'm still convinced the ending was problematic for PT with numerous rewrites. It draws the correct conclusion, terminates the characters in the right place, but could have been crafted more eloquently. This may not be the most entertaining movie of the year, but its the most artistically impressive. Expand
  98. TrevorS.
    Feb 11, 2008
    Some of the reviews missed the point of the movie completely. Pretty much it is a story of greed and what people do under the influence of money. Nobody is a good person who has it. Is this concept so hard to understand? It was a beautiful, powerful movie with great performances and direction all around. The music is different and adds a layer of insanity to every scene. No body is a good Some of the reviews missed the point of the movie completely. Pretty much it is a story of greed and what people do under the influence of money. Nobody is a good person who has it. Is this concept so hard to understand? It was a beautiful, powerful movie with great performances and direction all around. The music is different and adds a layer of insanity to every scene. No body is a good guy and that can let the people who like bullshit movies down. But this is a study of a man who loses sight of everything-it's just a shame that people can't understand it. What else needs to be addressed? It's not a story of oil, it's the story of the man behind the oil and the madness he has. Everyone has some kind madness and that was what I got from the movie. One thing is true I guess, you either love it or hate it but how the hell can anyone hate such a powerful movie?! Expand
  99. FredM.
    Feb 11, 2008
    A brilliant minimalist yet epic portrait of the oil industry's birth in the American West at the turn of the 20th century. Daniel Day-Lewis' unforgettable, riveting performance as an obsessed, greedy, cunning, cruel misanthrope reveals the darkest aspects of capitalism. Paul Dano also gives an excellent performance as the hypocritical and deluded preacher who stands in the way A brilliant minimalist yet epic portrait of the oil industry's birth in the American West at the turn of the 20th century. Daniel Day-Lewis' unforgettable, riveting performance as an obsessed, greedy, cunning, cruel misanthrope reveals the darkest aspects of capitalism. Paul Dano also gives an excellent performance as the hypocritical and deluded preacher who stands in the way of the oilman. Sweeping vistas, slow tempos, intimate and intense moments give a timeless feel to this American masterpiece. A classic for the ages. Expand

1. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    There Will Be Blood is ferocious, and it will be championed and attacked with an equal ferocity. When the dust settles, we may look back on it as some kind of obsessed classic.
  2. Reviewed by: Glenn Kenny
    There Will Be Blood is, in fact, not a historical saga; rather, it's an absurdist, blackly comic horror film with a very idiosyncratic satanic figure at its core.
  3. Reviewed by: John DeFore
    Daniel Day-Lewis stuns in Paul Thomas Anderson's saga of a soul-dead oil man.