7.8

1. Nov 8, 2012
    Only thing bad about this movie is that it's very slow paced and takes quite some time to really get into. By the end of it however, You will love it. Daniel Day-Lewis gives what is easily his best performance (and that's saying something) in this movie.
  2. Mar 1, 2014
    The best part about There Will Be Blood is the fact that Day-Lewis can give his character depth in the first ten minutes without saying a word. This shows what an actor he is. The rest of the movie falls in place from there, and is one hell of an experience.
  3. May 26, 2013
    Day Lewis kills. Bit by bit, he shapes There Will Be Blood into a masterpiece. The shades and story is tedious and slow but wait and see the drama and excitement you are in for.
  4. Mar 31, 2012
    The only reason this movie gets a 2 is because of its acting other than that zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. I almost cried because i was so bored. I rather watch grass grow in my backyard. What a disgrace this movie is and it doesn't deserve to be up for best picture.
  5. Sep 18, 2011
    The movie may be slow and tedious, but that is why "There will be Blood" enlightens and amazes the audience.
  6. Nov 28, 2012
    Daniel Day-Lewis's unbelievable performance nurtures this very intelligently written film into a deeply disquieting, perpetual steamroller of vengeance and malice.
  7. Nov 15, 2012
    This is a big, bold film from huge talent Paul Thomas Anderson, but it
  8. Mar 31, 2012
    No matter how superb that acting was and the overall quality of the film.....it is wayyyyyyyyyy too long and pointless. It was the farthest thing from a gripping movie. There were some very good scenes and music, but come on....so boring.
  9. Jun 21, 2013
    A masterpiece plain and simple. Paul Thomas Anderson directs this film beautifully with shot after shot leaving me overwhelmed. The score helps guide the scenes with perfection. Finally Daniel Day Lewis gives one the finest performances in cinematic history.
  10. Jan 25, 2014
    Just fantastic. This was my first film that I've seen directed by Paul Thomas Anderson and it did not disappoint in the least. The film is slow, but the acting from Daniel Day-Lewis, Paul Dano and cast, is just so engrossing that you cannot look away. The sets were brilliant and looked extremely realistic and fit in perfectly with the times they were depicting. Those who claim there is noJust fantastic. This was my first film that I've seen directed by Paul Thomas Anderson and it did not disappoint in the least. The film is slow, but the acting from Daniel Day-Lewis, Paul Dano and cast, is just so engrossing that you cannot look away. The sets were brilliant and looked extremely realistic and fit in perfectly with the times they were depicting. Those who claim there is no story are missing the bigger picture. Sure, there is no direct story, but what we are seeing is so much bigger than that. The interaction of every character and the constant "peeling back of the onion" that is Daniel Plainview and how evil he truly is make up for any story people may be searching for. In fact, I dare say that is the story; the revealing of how far a man will go to make money and how cutthroat you had to be to make it in the the time period depicted. Fantastic film. Expand
  11. Mar 5, 2013
    There Will Be Blood is fantastically photographed, written and acted. The central performance of Daniel Day Lewis is of legendary proportions. Better yet, the film is unbelievably funny, it's comedy blacker than the gushing oil that Plainview covets so badly. There Will be Blood is a truly unforgettable piece of cinema.
  12. May 26, 2013
    Daniel Day Lewis was absolutely fantastic; one of the best performances by any actor I've ever seen. He was so real and convincing, every moment was just perfect. A good performance by Paul Dano as well, especially in the church scenes and the final scene. I was hesitant to watch this movie because I've heard so many bad things about it, that it's too long, boring, and that it's pointless.Daniel Day Lewis was absolutely fantastic; one of the best performances by any actor I've ever seen. He was so real and convincing, every moment was just perfect. A good performance by Paul Dano as well, especially in the church scenes and the final scene. I was hesitant to watch this movie because I've heard so many bad things about it, that it's too long, boring, and that it's pointless. I just have one thing to say, and that is this is a masterpiece. By far the best movie of 2007, and one of the best of our time. My favorite scene in the entire film is the last scene, it really puts it all into perspective. This is a brilliant movie, you absolutely must NOT miss it. Expand
  13. Apr 11, 2013
    The film answers the question of how far greed can drive a man to succeed, and how far the money and in this case, oil, truly dictates human behaviour. There Will Be Blood tells the ultimate disaster of one man's mission to be the best at what he does, and discard anything that gets in his way.
    Daniel Day-Lewis puts in one of the greatest and most memorable performances of any actor or actress in the last few decades, his wispy and dominating voice truly capture the ruthless and maniacal means boiling beneath the surface, he is the 'oilman' Daniel Plainview, and he gets what he wants.
    The film opens with very little dialogue, we watch Plainview, alone and down a well, digging for oil, his perseverance and can-do attitude are apparent as he breaks his leg in a fall, but manages to get out of the well and start over again.
    Plainview and his son, HW, coax towns into letting them dig up their land in the search for oil, and when he is approached into a town with the potential of riches beyond measure, he is met with the bizarre and erratic Eli Sunday (Paul Dano), a preacher who ends up being at egotistical loggerheads with Plainview about his faith and his intentions with the town.
    After a tragic accident, Plainviews behaviour drastically changes and ulterior motive soon come to light, wanting to have so much money that he would no longer have to know people. The addition of his half-brother perhaps shows a more humanly side to him, but he seems determined and forthright to get what he wants, eventually falling into obsessive and alcohol-fuelled madness.
    An epic tale which is never without its drama, There Will Be Blood never fails to impress in its acting, writing and visual landscapes of beauty, filming in the same place as No Country for Old Men, the similarities in film style.
    But of course it is the thrilling characters that truly make this film what it is, Plainview has flashes of Citizen Kane in his determination for everything, but ultimately loneliness at what he has become.
    The film has styles of long scenes and plenty of dialogue, but what truly needs to be seen is the characters who bring these scenes to life, the ambition of Paul Thomas Anderson could indeed have been a hit or miss but what he has created is something unique.
    The often debated ending has been the subject of many talks, particularly peoples distaste for it, but as the film goes on its difficult to imagine another finish, other than the madness within.
    A truly remarkable film that never ceases to amaze in its character development, expert writing and ambitious reach that could very well be the best film in the last fifteen years. Taking it from its remarkable perch could indeed be a difficult thing.
  14. Sep 13, 2010
    Oil that is, Black Gold, Texas Tea.
    Daniel Day Lewis is "into" oil & makes his fortune, sometimes at the misfortune of others.
    Weighs in at just over two & a half hours but I didn't think it dragged too much & the authenticity of the film is superb.
    As to be expected, Lewis is brilliant but so is Paul Dano as Eli.
    Not to everyone's taste but I really enjoyed it.
    I'm finished!
  15. Jan 5, 2012
    First off, Daniel Day Lewis is untouchable (as always) and makes the film that much greater from his performance alone. There Will Be Blood gives us a cold hard look at the world of Oil Drilling and I loved it. It can be a little boring at times ,god knows the run time takes away from the film a bit, but the majority of the film is simply amazing and more then makes up for it.
  16. Nov 22, 2011
    Another example of why Daniel Day Lewis is the best actor alive today. He delivers a powerful performance in this film and he is perfect from start to finish. The entire film is rather interesting but it can be a bit dull in some parts and make it a little bit of a suffer to get through. However great performances by the cast and overall interest in the plot will keep you satisfied till the end.
  17. Aug 27, 2010
    One of the first great achievements in narrative and character study in the 21st century. There is no doubt in my mind that this movie will become one of the great classics of our generation.
  18. Oct 4, 2010
    I couldn't think of a more boring movie. Good acting? Looks more like imitating Sean Connery's accent. I hated this movie so much I would actually use the poster as toilet paper!
  19. Jul 31, 2013
    The closing sequence delivers on the promise of the movie's title in a manner that keeps viewers discussing it long after the picture ends. “There Will Be Blood” is not a movie that disappears quietly. Paul Thomas Anderson's epic masterpiece "There will be Blood" is a steadfast reflection of the very essence of capitalism in America, where domination, not gain, is the ultimate objective,The closing sequence delivers on the promise of the movie's title in a manner that keeps viewers discussing it long after the picture ends. “There Will Be Blood” is not a movie that disappears quietly. Paul Thomas Anderson's epic masterpiece "There will be Blood" is a steadfast reflection of the very essence of capitalism in America, where domination, not gain, is the ultimate objective, and by any means necessary.

When we first meet Daniel Plainview (Daniel Day-Lewis) in 1898, he's mining for gold in a shaft he has dug into the ground of his Texas property. He finds what he's looking for, and perhaps more. Several years later, he has shifted his focus from gold to oil and he has been able to hire some hands. When an accident results in a death, Daniel finds himself with an infant orphan to care for. He raises the child, known as H.W., to be his own. By 1912, Daniel has become a well-known oilman, and he his looking to expand his empire. Accompanied by his partner, Fletcher (Ciarán Hinds), and his son (Dillon Freasier), he travels to California to follow a promising lead. What he finds there astonishes him. He seeks to buy large parcels of property, but he is impeded in his goal by the evangelist preacher Eli Sunday (Paul Dano), who wants Daniel to donate $10,000 to the local church before he sells. After the contract is signed, however, Daniel reneges on the deal. Shortly thereafter, once the first drill has become operational, there is an accident that results in an explosion that fuels a major oil fire and costs H.W. his hearing.

For most of the film, Daniel is a fascinating character. He's a mass of contradictions: charismatic, ugly, easygoing, ruthless, silver-tongued, plain-spoken, gentle, violent. He's smart and understands how to manipulate every situation to his advantage. He understands the business of oil and transforms himself from a poor miner into a wealthy businessman. Unfortunately, the more power Daniel amasses, the more corrupt and dissolute he becomes. Anderson chronicles Daniel's personality decay intelligently. He establishes the character as an admirable individual, but eventually his morality slowly erodes. The lives of these two, Daniel and Eli, are self-centered, cunning, and ruthless men who collide and lead us into the dark, unpaved path of madness of self-destruction driven by their unrelenting greed.

“There Will Be Blood” is a rich character study of a fascinating individual who is by turns likable, loathsome, admirable, monstrous, and driven. What Day-Lewis brings to the characterization is more exquisite and complex than anything even Anderson might have imagined at the outset. His Plainview is the most gripping film performance of the year, and as his religious foil, Dano also reveals unsuspected depths. Long, but so well crafted with terrific cinematography, and beautifully written/directed by Paul Thomas Anderson. Daniel Day-Lewis and Robert Elswit both earned Academy Awards.
  20. Aug 9, 2012
    One of the best films ever made. The intrigue of the characters; the rich themes and the great acting add up to an experience that has only been matched by few films. Sight and sound pisses me off because it seems as though they ignore all the great newer films to make themselves feel sophisticated. Mulholland drive was the only movie in the top 50 from the 2000s. What a crock!
  21. Jan 3, 2014
    Já começa com Daniel Day-Lewis dando show de interpretação, claro até o fim do filme. Bom Paul Thomas já tem meu eterno respeito, essa película fenomenal.
  22. Nov 12, 2012
    There Will Be Blood is one of the greatest movies on my list because thanks to Paul Thomas Anderson, the movie is violent, brutal, and I think if Lincoln could get Oscar buzz, then call in Daniel-Day-Lewis. He's a gifted acclaimed actor and I think he delivers a calm, attitudinal, no-nonsense character in real life. Great film, should be in the AFI lists for the best movies of all time.
  23. Jun 9, 2011
    Easily one of the best performances in the history of cinema! Daniel Day-Lewis is great in every role, but this one is so believable and entertaining. I found myself unable to wait for his next line. This film grows on you...it takes a lot out of you, but the experience stays with you. It elicits that slow boil of thought afterwards, which makes you want to step back and watch it again.
  24. Feb 11, 2013
    Where to start, on the first viewing There Will Be Blood has comfortably become one of my favourite films of all time. From the dialogue-free 15 minute opening of Plainview mining alone, to the intense and violent conclusion, There Will Be Blood is unrelenting. You cannot take your eyes off Daniel Day-Lewis. He is quite simply fantastic as the fiery, vengeful and driven oilman and deservedWhere to start, on the first viewing There Will Be Blood has comfortably become one of my favourite films of all time. From the dialogue-free 15 minute opening of Plainview mining alone, to the intense and violent conclusion, There Will Be Blood is unrelenting. You cannot take your eyes off Daniel Day-Lewis. He is quite simply fantastic as the fiery, vengeful and driven oilman and deserved his Plainview becomes so dislikeable he is likeable, and I found myself routing for him, after all he is the film. The scenes between pastor Eli and Daniel, in particular the two where each humiliates the other, are worth the price of admission alone.

Maybe I'm biased, maybe Daniel Day-Lewis is one of my favourite actors, maybe because I work in the oil industry the film's subject appeals to me more, maybe great shots of drilling derricks and flaming oil gushers set against the American West just do it for me. Or maybe not, maybe Paul Thomas Anderson has just created a truly great film, full of memorable images and lines. Although central to the film, the themes of religion and capitalism are allowed to exist without heavy handed interference from Anderson. Ultimately, neither come out of the other side smelling of roses.

The reason this film only scores 9/10 is due to the score. Radiohead's Jonny Greenwood is responsible for the score which Tarantino complimented as "one of the great modern original soundtracks of the last decade" but it just didn't agree with me.
  25. Sep 19, 2010
    Amazing. Two days in a row, and two days of incredible movies that portray humans at their most raw. Still afflicted with Oscar fever, I followed up my viewing of The Reader with There Will Be Blood, which won Daniel Day-Lewis an Oscar for Best Actor last year.

Gritty, cold and, at times, cruel, this period piece set in the late 1800s through the Great Depression, There Will Be Blood is, at its core, about the business of...well, business, versus the business of salvation. Neither are proven to be better, or worse, as the case may be, than the other except for maybe, in the end, Daniel Day-Lewis' character is shown to be more exact in his evil, while his moral counterpart, Eli, is shown to be naive in his selfishness.

Paul Thomas Anderson continues his track record of unique and heavily character-driven films, in the vein of Boogie Nights, Magnolia and Punch-Drunk Love. As usual, his characters are immensely flawed and capable of the most atrocious of actions. He's quickly becoming a master of creating characters who actually do what only our darkest moments think of doing, if then.

As usual, Daniel Day-Lewis is outstanding in his role, commanding immense strength on the screen. The Oscar was well-deserved.

My only real criticism of the film is that the portrayal of Eli's religious con-man being made into the weak, whiny hypocrite that he becomes, comes across more as a personal indictment of Anderson's rather than an necessary element of the movie, specifically Eli's senseless murder in the end. Unlike the seemingly objectivity of The Reader, There Will Be Blood shamelessly overexaggerates the stupidity of the congregation (and, believe me, I cannot believe I'm saying that since I generally believe Christianity to be silly). If Eli is proven to be a great fool, what then of the congregation who put such faith in him? It rubbed me the wrong way, but didn't make me enjoy the film less. Perhaps portraying Daniel as an empty, soul-less man is meant to counter the naivete of his enemy.
  26. Oct 7, 2012
    While I agree with most of what everyone who loves this movie says about it, I do feel that it doesn't succeed in a couple of areas where the true greats do. If there is such a thing as too much ambiguity, Blood has it. We learn so little of Plainview that when he does interact with other characters it is impossible to know when he is lying or telling the truth. This gives Plainview littleWhile I agree with most of what everyone who loves this movie says about it, I do feel that it doesn't succeed in a couple of areas where the true greats do. If there is such a thing as too much ambiguity, Blood has it. We learn so little of Plainview that when he does interact with other characters it is impossible to know when he is lying or telling the truth. This gives Plainview little motivation as a character. In contrast to the people who love this movie I feel this is why some people find this movie boring. If we had just the smallest amount of back story on Plainview I think what he does would make this movie much more interesting to those that find it boring. Although Anderson does give us very small glimpses into his characters motivation in his movies, we fail to get even that small glimpse with Plainview. Of course on the positive side Anderson has created another set of characters that stay with you for weeks after viewing the movie. He moves his characters through these worlds he creates in such a way that we become entranced with the characters and the atmosphere. Of course Lewis is brilliant and deserves every bit of recognition he has received for this role. Last but not least the final scene in this movie is mesmerizing. The final confrontation between these two characters is brilliantly written and brilliantly acted. This is one of my top 5 endings for a movie ever, from the much hyped bowling pin, to the less talked about line. "I'm done". Expand
  27. Sep 10, 2014
    I can see how many people find this movie boring but I found it really great, yes it does drag on at a lot of parts but it is just a fantastic movie. Daniel Day Lewis is amazing in this movie and deserved the best actor award at the Oscars. The visuals are also very good as the scenery in this movie is cool. Also some great cinematography kept me into this film the whole time. GoodI can see how many people find this movie boring but I found it really great, yes it does drag on at a lot of parts but it is just a fantastic movie. Daniel Day Lewis is amazing in this movie and deserved the best actor award at the Oscars. The visuals are also very good as the scenery in this movie is cool. Also some great cinematography kept me into this film the whole time. Good supporting acting and a very good all around movie. Expand
  28. May 24, 2013
    this movie is too awkward with an obnoxious writing i mean i know Daniel day-lewess made an awesome performance there is no Doubt about that but the writing keep you away from the story i mean why when his son became deaf he was happy ?
    why his son burned down the house ?
    why he killed his brother ? why he waited all these years until he told his son that he was adopted ? why in hell
    why his son burned down the house ?
    why he killed his brother ?
    why he waited all these years until he told his son that he was adopted ?
    why in hell he killed the monk ?
    omg i felt stupid after watching this movie.
  29. Mar 14, 2013
    An irrefutable masterpiece and anyone who denies it should have their milkshake drunk ASAP. It's original, intense and pretty much perfect in every way. You can feel Anderson's engagement with his subject matter and his passion for the work. You don't feel that sense of disengagement like you do with most empty Hollywood films. This is cinema at it's best, a disturbing portrayal of humanAn irrefutable masterpiece and anyone who denies it should have their milkshake drunk ASAP. It's original, intense and pretty much perfect in every way. You can feel Anderson's engagement with his subject matter and his passion for the work. You don't feel that sense of disengagement like you do with most empty Hollywood films. This is cinema at it's best, a disturbing portrayal of human nature and the effect of power. I'm just grateful that we still have at least one brilliant Director left in the world. Expand
  30. Nov 11, 2012
    The acting is superb and Daniel-Day Lewis is captivating as always. But I had to drag myself through this one. It has it's moments, but overall There Will Be Blood is a like a never ending desert highway riddled with pot holes and tumbleweeds. Long winded, dry and not an inkling of refuge in sight. If only they would have whittled it down to a neat and simple package, this could have beenThe acting is superb and Daniel-Day Lewis is captivating as always. But I had to drag myself through this one. It has it's moments, but overall There Will Be Blood is a like a never ending desert highway riddled with pot holes and tumbleweeds. Long winded, dry and not an inkling of refuge in sight. If only they would have whittled it down to a neat and simple package, this could have been great. But as it stands, snooze fest. Expand

1. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    There Will Be Blood is ferocious, and it will be championed and attacked with an equal ferocity. When the dust settles, we may look back on it as some kind of obsessed classic.
  2. Reviewed by: Glenn Kenny
    There Will Be Blood is, in fact, not a historical saga; rather, it's an absurdist, blackly comic horror film with a very idiosyncratic satanic figure at its core.
  3. Reviewed by: John DeFore
    Daniel Day-Lewis stuns in Paul Thomas Anderson's saga of a soul-dead oil man.