7.7

1. May 16, 2011
    Never before have I seen such a well made film that was so TERRIBLE. I still have no idea why this film gets good ratings. I cannot even discern a plot, other than a story of how corrupt people can become, be they the Businessmen as depicted or the Churchmen as depicted. So, people can be bad and corrupt? We needed over 2.5 HOURS of wasted film for this? The performances were excellent, the cinematography was outstanding, but there was simply no real plot and nothing to care about in this tedious film.

It is a pity I cannot score it lower than 0.
  2. Mar 29, 2011
    Daniel Day-Lewis and Paul Thomas Anderson have created one of the greatest movies of this time and perhaps of all time. There is so much ambition, brilliance, detail, and probably everything that you would put in a great movie. I don't think that anything, and anything could top this level of amazement for me. The film has put me through a cathartic and dogmatic experience by just watching. Truly outstanding on every **** level. A masterpiece. Expand
  3. Mar 19, 2011
    UNPARALLELED!!! DANIEL DAY-LEWIS KILLS IT!!! THIS DESERVES TO BE CALLED A CLASSIC IN EVERY WAY... AMAZING ACTING, DIRECTING, MUSIC (JOHNNY GREENWOOD), ENDING... EVERYTHING.
  4. Mar 16, 2011
    What an amazing film. Daniel Day Lewis is haunting. Each of the 156 minutes from the initial pioneering scenes to the final Kubrick-esque moments dazzles in it's intensity. Meanwhile, the loss of consciousness, of mind, of vision, of sanity, is so subtle, is so delicate and unassuming that hours after the final credits have rolled one can only blink and say 'wow'
  5. Mar 12, 2011
    The films of Paul Thomas Anderson seem to polarise folks - I'm one who loves his films but plenty of people don't. That said this film is quite a departure from his previous work - no large ensemble cast, no contemporary / modern setting, very little humour, relatively sparse dialogue. This has the same feeling of unease as 'Punch Drunk Love' largely due to Johnny Greenwood's (of Radiohead fame) brilliant / unconventional score (incidental music might be more accurate). Daniel Day-Lewis plays the protagonist Daniel Plainview very adeptly - a great psychological study into the unique individuals that prosper in times of explosive industrial growth.

A great and unique movie that will surely be recognized as a classic in years to come
  6. Jan 9, 2011
    This is literally a terrible film. I love Daniel Day Lewis but NOT in this film, there is just nothing going on with the acting. A big yawn fest. A couple of good one liners so the script isn't awful but there is just not anything interesting about this film.
  7. Dec 16, 2010
    Great movie... original feel to movie in general and for certain in DDL's performance. Loved it and refreshing compared to the majority of movies made these days.

Best of all time... no ... but only 1-2 movies a year are made that are worth watching..... I'm so glad they are... I'm running out of old classics to watch lol.
  8. Dec 4, 2010
    A work of truly brilliant madness. It's the kind of film that sticks with you for a very long time. After seeing it only once, I knew there was something special here. Daniel Day-Lewis gives one of the most fascinating performances in movie history. From beginning to end, it never stops being a crazy, imperfect, frustrating and masterful piece of cinematic history. It comes highly recommended for anyone who is interested in film as an art form, and, in my opinion, it trumps the overrated No Country for Old Men. Expand
  9. Nov 3, 2010
    Very politically minded, intelligent, brutal and unapologetic. Daniel Day Lewis owns this film and deservedly won the Oscar for it. Great music, beautiful settings but it is always the story that triumphs with a finale that feels right. Much more satisfying than No Country For Old Men.
  10. Oct 4, 2010
    I couldn't think of a more boring movie. Good acting? Looks more like imitating Sean Connery's accent. I hated this movie so much I would actually use the poster as toilet paper!
  11. Sep 19, 2010
    Amazing. Two days in a row, and two days of incredible movies that portray humans at their most raw. Still afflicted with Oscar fever, I followed up my viewing of The Reader with There Will Be Blood, which won Daniel Day-Lewis an Oscar for Best Actor last year.

Gritty, cold and, at times, cruel, this period piece set in the late 1800s through the Great Depression, There Will Be Blood is,
    at its core, about the business of...well, business, versus the business of salvation. Neither are proven to be better, or worse, as the case may be, than the other except for maybe, in the end, Daniel Day-Lewis' character is shown to be more exact in his evil, while his moral counterpart, Eli, is shown to be naive in his selfishness.

Paul Thomas Anderson continues his track record of unique and heavily character-driven films, in the vein of Boogie Nights, Magnolia and Punch-Drunk Love. As usual, his characters are immensely flawed and capable of the most atrocious of actions. He's quickly becoming a master of creating characters who actually do what only our darkest moments think of doing, if then.

As usual, Daniel Day-Lewis is outstanding in his role, commanding immense strength on the screen. The Oscar was well-deserved.

My only real criticism of the film is that the portrayal of Eli's religious con-man being made into the weak, whiny hypocrite that he becomes, comes across more as a personal indictment of Anderson's rather than an necessary element of the movie, specifically Eli's senseless murder in the end. Unlike the seemingly objectivity of The Reader, There Will Be Blood shamelessly overexaggerates the stupidity of the congregation (and, believe me, I cannot believe I'm saying that since I generally believe Christianity to be silly). If Eli is proven to be a great fool, what then of the congregation who put such faith in him? It rubbed me the wrong way, but didn't make me enjoy the film less. Perhaps portraying Daniel as an empty, soul-less man is meant to counter the naivete of his enemy.
  12. Sep 13, 2010
    Oil that is, Black Gold, Texas Tea.
    Daniel Day Lewis is "into" oil & makes his fortune, sometimes at the misfortune of others.
    Weighs in at just over two & a half hours but I didn't think it dragged too much & the authenticity of the film is superb.
    As to be expected, Lewis is brilliant but so is Paul Dano as Eli.
    Not to everyone's taste but I really enjoyed it.
    I'm finished!
  13. Aug 27, 2010
    One of the first great achievements in narrative and character study in the 21st century. There is no doubt in my mind that this movie will become one of the great classics of our generation.
  14. Aug 16, 2010
    A modern masterpiece. This is Anderson's best film. Day-Lewis and Dano are both stunning. Greenwood's soundtrack is hypnotizing and phenomenal. The visuals are dazzling if not completely hallucinating. The black humor is outrageously funny and brilliantly placed so that only the most astute viewer and can notice it. One of the best films of the 2000's.
  15. Aug 14, 2010
    Paul Thomas Anderson is the best minimalistic director out, in my opinion. Most of his movies have been very simple but they have deeper messages in them. Definitely in my top 10. Amazing movie.

1. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    There Will Be Blood is ferocious, and it will be championed and attacked with an equal ferocity. When the dust settles, we may look back on it as some kind of obsessed classic.
  2. Reviewed by: Glenn Kenny
    There Will Be Blood is, in fact, not a historical saga; rather, it's an absurdist, blackly comic horror film with a very idiosyncratic satanic figure at its core.
  3. Reviewed by: John DeFore
    Daniel Day-Lewis stuns in Paul Thomas Anderson's saga of a soul-dead oil man.