7.8

1. Nov 8, 2012
    Only thing bad about this movie is that it's very slow paced and takes quite some time to really get into. By the end of it however, You will love it. Daniel Day-Lewis gives what is easily his best performance (and that's saying something) in this movie.
  2. Sep 14, 2012
    It is definitely a slow movie, but that's life - some things are fast and some things are slow. But both can have an equal impact. I have seen it 3 or 4 times now - I find it is quite mesmorising and the story compelling. Daniel Day Lewis is really sublime in his role, and I found the final scene to be absolute magic!
    It is more bizarre than anything else, with the story taking some odd
    It is more bizarre than anything else, with the story taking some odd turns at times and playing strange scenarios which you don't expect. Which maybe why I enjoyed it so much - it seemed fresh, it didn't spoon feed me the standard film format and put all it's A,Bs ad Cs in the right order. It was 2 years after release that I watched this, and I didn't read any reviews before I did watch it. Just because it is long and slow with odd music and even stranger dialogue, doesn't necessarily mean it is pretentious - but if you look for it to be, you will most likely find it will be. I did not, I just found it interesting and enjoyable. But then I found the hangover boring so what do I know.
  3. Oct 7, 2012
    While I agree with most of what everyone who loves this movie says about it, I do feel that it doesn't succeed in a couple of areas where the true greats do. If there is such a thing as too much ambiguity, Blood has it. We learn so little of Plainview that when he does interact with other characters it is impossible to know when he is lying or telling the truth. This gives Plainview littleWhile I agree with most of what everyone who loves this movie says about it, I do feel that it doesn't succeed in a couple of areas where the true greats do. If there is such a thing as too much ambiguity, Blood has it. We learn so little of Plainview that when he does interact with other characters it is impossible to know when he is lying or telling the truth. This gives Plainview little motivation as a character. In contrast to the people who love this movie I feel this is why some people find this movie boring. If we had just the smallest amount of back story on Plainview I think what he does would make this movie much more interesting to those that find it boring. Although Anderson does give us very small glimpses into his characters motivation in his movies, we fail to get even that small glimpse with Plainview. Of course on the positive side Anderson has created another set of characters that stay with you for weeks after viewing the movie. He moves his characters through these worlds he creates in such a way that we become entranced with the characters and the atmosphere. Of course Lewis is brilliant and deserves every bit of recognition he has received for this role. Last but not least the final scene in this movie is mesmerizing. The final confrontation between these two characters is brilliantly written and brilliantly acted. This is one of my top 5 endings for a movie ever, from the much hyped bowling pin, to the less talked about line. "I'm done". Expand
  4. Jul 2, 2012
    Certainly eveyone is entitled to their opinion, and some may be praising it just to jump on the bandwagon. But I think there is some ridiculous accusations concerning this film. It must have been doing something right since almost every single magazine, newspaper, or awards show hailed it as one of the best films of 2007 and one of the best films of the decade. Just because a film isn'tCertainly eveyone is entitled to their opinion, and some may be praising it just to jump on the bandwagon. But I think there is some ridiculous accusations concerning this film. It must have been doing something right since almost every single magazine, newspaper, or awards show hailed it as one of the best films of 2007 and one of the best films of the decade. Just because a film isn't exactly what you expected doesn't mean you have to **** all over it. The film has a moral and a point! But it seems everyone here needs the film to shove it right in their face so they don't have to think. Pathetic. And I forgot to rate it last time sorry. Expand
  5. Jan 3, 2014
    Já começa com Daniel Day-Lewis dando show de interpretação, claro até o fim do filme. Bom Paul Thomas já tem meu eterno respeito, essa película fenomenal.
  6. Jul 31, 2013
    The closing sequence delivers on the promise of the movie's title in a manner that keeps viewers discussing it long after the picture ends. “There Will Be Blood” is not a movie that disappears quietly. Paul Thomas Anderson's epic masterpiece "There will be Blood" is a steadfast reflection of the very essence of capitalism in America, where domination, not gain, is the ultimate objective,The closing sequence delivers on the promise of the movie's title in a manner that keeps viewers discussing it long after the picture ends. “There Will Be Blood” is not a movie that disappears quietly. Paul Thomas Anderson's epic masterpiece "There will be Blood" is a steadfast reflection of the very essence of capitalism in America, where domination, not gain, is the ultimate objective, and by any means necessary.

When we first meet Daniel Plainview (Daniel Day-Lewis) in 1898, he's mining for gold in a shaft he has dug into the ground of his Texas property. He finds what he's looking for, and perhaps more. Several years later, he has shifted his focus from gold to oil and he has been able to hire some hands. When an accident results in a death, Daniel finds himself with an infant orphan to care for. He raises the child, known as H.W., to be his own. By 1912, Daniel has become a well-known oilman, and he his looking to expand his empire. Accompanied by his partner, Fletcher (Ciarán Hinds), and his son (Dillon Freasier), he travels to California to follow a promising lead. What he finds there astonishes him. He seeks to buy large parcels of property, but he is impeded in his goal by the evangelist preacher Eli Sunday (Paul Dano), who wants Daniel to donate $10,000 to the local church before he sells. After the contract is signed, however, Daniel reneges on the deal. Shortly thereafter, once the first drill has become operational, there is an accident that results in an explosion that fuels a major oil fire and costs H.W. his hearing.

For most of the film, Daniel is a fascinating character. He's a mass of contradictions: charismatic, ugly, easygoing, ruthless, silver-tongued, plain-spoken, gentle, violent. He's smart and understands how to manipulate every situation to his advantage. He understands the business of oil and transforms himself from a poor miner into a wealthy businessman. Unfortunately, the more power Daniel amasses, the more corrupt and dissolute he becomes. Anderson chronicles Daniel's personality decay intelligently. He establishes the character as an admirable individual, but eventually his morality slowly erodes. The lives of these two, Daniel and Eli, are self-centered, cunning, and ruthless men who collide and lead us into the dark, unpaved path of madness of self-destruction driven by their unrelenting greed.

“There Will Be Blood” is a rich character study of a fascinating individual who is by turns likable, loathsome, admirable, monstrous, and driven. What Day-Lewis brings to the characterization is more exquisite and complex than anything even Anderson might have imagined at the outset. His Plainview is the most gripping film performance of the year, and as his religious foil, Dano also reveals unsuspected depths. Long, but so well crafted with terrific cinematography, and beautifully written/directed by Paul Thomas Anderson. Daniel Day-Lewis and Robert Elswit both earned Academy Awards.
  7. Dec 14, 2012
    This deep, brooding portrayal of a man motivated only by greed is a haunting movie that will both terrify and amaze you. I needn't say, Daniel Day-Lewis delivers one of the best performances of all time as Daniel Plainview.
  8. Jan 14, 2013
    This movie was a classic depiction of the great storytelling of Paul Tom Anderson with incredible acting by Day-Lewis. It was an independent joy ride through the life of an oil man. A visual and written masterpiece.
  9. May 26, 2013
    Day Lewis kills. Bit by bit, he shapes There Will Be Blood into a masterpiece. The shades and story is tedious and slow but wait and see the drama and excitement you are in for.
  10. Feb 25, 2013
    This is a roller-coaster and by that I mean that its quality is very uneven throughout the whole movie. It has some amazing moments but it has some really boring moments as well. The only constants in this movie are Daniel Day-Lewis in the leading role and Paul Thomas Anderson's directing.
  11. May 4, 2013
    This movie is a bit on the long side, but overall it is a really enjoyable story to follow. A class drama. Especially the ending takes the cake! I'm finished.
  12. Oct 14, 2013
    The major problem of the film Daniel Day Lewis is that he is so good an actor that we were watching only him and his ways to embody the character, we almost forgot about the rest of the film, but the film in question is extremely good and thoughtful (even that sometimes bombastic).
  13. May 27, 2013
    Posted on 5/19/13 09:05 AM
    Is there any doubt that Daniel day Lewis is the best actor to ever grace the screen, lets say you put his performance aside from this film you still have Paul Dano haunting performance Robert ewlisit cinematography and gritty direction to me Lewis performance was enough but wow did I get more
  14. Jul 2, 2013
    The performance by Daniel Day-Lewis is just fantastic, and the cinematography is beautiful to look at. Paul Thomas Anderson has made a brilliant movie which is beautiful shot, and the acting by Daniel Day-Lewis is amazing.
  15. Sep 13, 2013
    Masterful film. Contains an original and interesting narrative, a lot of unsubtle bashes at religion, an emotionally charged and holy-inspired (no pun intended) performance by Daniel Day-Lewis, and a dark ending that has spawned my personal favorite quote of any movie. Has instantly become a favorite.
  16. May 2, 2015
    This film is the Citizen Kane of the 2000s. An epic story of a man consumed by greed and desire for power, There Will Be Blood is artistic and magnificent in every aspect of its storytelling and presentation.
  17. Sep 10, 2014
    I can see how many people find this movie boring but I found it really great, yes it does drag on at a lot of parts but it is just a fantastic movie. Daniel Day Lewis is amazing in this movie and deserved the best actor award at the Oscars. The visuals are also very good as the scenery in this movie is cool. Also some great cinematography kept me into this film the whole time. GoodI can see how many people find this movie boring but I found it really great, yes it does drag on at a lot of parts but it is just a fantastic movie. Daniel Day Lewis is amazing in this movie and deserved the best actor award at the Oscars. The visuals are also very good as the scenery in this movie is cool. Also some great cinematography kept me into this film the whole time. Good supporting acting and a very good all around movie. Expand
  18. Jan 21, 2015
    As an epic, there will be blood is dripping with innovative ideas about the clash between religion and capitalism and the fine line that separates idealism from greed.
    But as a character study, it's flawed. In fact there will be blood just doesn't work as a character study. We learn so much about who Daniel Plainview is but virtually nothing about why. From his initial hatred of humanity to his final descent into loner hell, we’re never given an understanding as to what’s behind it all. Early in the film, he seems like a rapacious capitalist. Then we begin to see him as more malicious and cruel. Then we come to see him as a raving lunatic. He works hard for reasons that are never explained- seemingly uninterested in pleasing God through his diligence or even himself for that matter. And the more I think about it, the more I begin to realise how severe this problem is. It doesn't just limit the character's impact, it greatly undermines Plainview's relationship with his son. He seems to love the boy, at times, a bit. Yet he also exploits the boy for his own purposes. He seems to feel guilty when being a rotten father, but is uncomfortable with the consequences of affectionate feelings. It just doesn't add up. I guess what I'm saying is we never get to see the humanity in Daniel Plainview or lack of humanity in him.
    But I give it 7/10 because when the film works it really works.
  19. Sep 20, 2014
    Do not watch this movie for the plot. Watch it for Daniel Day Lewis and his character. The character's interaction with the world is the plot, and it is amazing. True masterpiece.
  20. Nov 9, 2014
    After all the hoopla, I found the movie disappointing. It's about ambition, manipulation, power, greed, and the different forms they take in capitalism and religion. One character is a man so full of self loathing he tries to stamp out any feeling of humanity he has ever had. The other is just as bad, but with hypocrisy added to the mix. Both very unpleasant, but sadly we've seen themAfter all the hoopla, I found the movie disappointing. It's about ambition, manipulation, power, greed, and the different forms they take in capitalism and religion. One character is a man so full of self loathing he tries to stamp out any feeling of humanity he has ever had. The other is just as bad, but with hypocrisy added to the mix. Both very unpleasant, but sadly we've seen them too many times before. Thank goodness we were spared a redemptive ending. Expand
  21. Dec 3, 2014
    A superb film. Day-Lewis commands the screen with superb facial expressions and well versed dialogue. Greenwood's soundtrack; particularly 'The Prospectors' is majestic. Thomas Andersen does a superb job exploiting the gorgeous scenery as well as the zoom in shot of the well, way beyond his years of experience. If I had to be hypercritical, I would suggest to things:
    -Despite the original
    -Despite the original beginning with no dialogue, the movie was a little slow
    -The lack of a strong female character (more to do with the story maybe?)
    Overall, an excellent movie, a classic if not quite a masterpiece.
  22. Apr 12, 2015
    This sprawling Western epic showed the compelling trajectory of a man who experienced incredibly professional success, but whose personal life was difficult. It was interesting to watch his character adapt to all his successes, but remain completely unable to compromise in the face of difficulties and conflicts. It was also a visually stunning movie, as the landscape of the oil fieldsThis sprawling Western epic showed the compelling trajectory of a man who experienced incredibly professional success, but whose personal life was difficult. It was interesting to watch his character adapt to all his successes, but remain completely unable to compromise in the face of difficulties and conflicts. It was also a visually stunning movie, as the landscape of the oil fields provided a dramatic backdrop for the entire film. Expand
  23. Jan 23, 2015
    Not heavy on special effects, but rather focuses on strong acting, atmosphere and stylish cinematography. Daniel Day-Lewis's performance is absolutely amazing, and the movie delivers scene after scene.
  24. May 13, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Daniel Day Lewis launches into a highscore grade A+ performance as an ambitious oil man whose life crumbles with insanity and madness by his inner obsession with greed, as he tries to snag a reservoir of oil from a religious zealot family and their sanctimonious pastor of a son,

a film with a chilling performance by the powerful critically acclaimed actor who knows how to keep his acting list clean and a well done philosophical tale from Paul Thomas Anderson, a unforgettable oscar-winning classic

1. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    There Will Be Blood is ferocious, and it will be championed and attacked with an equal ferocity. When the dust settles, we may look back on it as some kind of obsessed classic.
  2. Reviewed by: Glenn Kenny
    There Will Be Blood is, in fact, not a historical saga; rather, it's an absurdist, blackly comic horror film with a very idiosyncratic satanic figure at its core.
  3. Reviewed by: John DeFore
    Daniel Day-Lewis stuns in Paul Thomas Anderson's saga of a soul-dead oil man.