7.8

1. Jan 5, 2012
    First off, Daniel Day Lewis is untouchable (as always) and makes the film that much greater from his performance alone. There Will Be Blood gives us a cold hard look at the world of Oil Drilling and I loved it. It can be a little boring at times ,god knows the run time takes away from the film a bit, but the majority of the film is simply amazing and more then makes up for it.
  2. Dec 28, 2011
    Daniel Day-Lewis gives the performance of his career in There Will Be Blood. Receiving several Oscar nods, including Best Picture, as well as a win for Best Actor, There Will Be Blood is a story about a wicked oil man who hits jackpot.
  3. Nov 22, 2011
    Another example of why Daniel Day Lewis is the best actor alive today. He delivers a powerful performance in this film and he is perfect from start to finish. The entire film is rather interesting but it can be a bit dull in some parts and make it a little bit of a suffer to get through. However great performances by the cast and overall interest in the plot will keep you satisfied till the end.
  4. Sep 18, 2011
    The movie may be slow and tedious, but that is why "There will be Blood" enlightens and amazes the audience.
  5. Sep 12, 2011
    There Will Be Blood has to be the best movie of the decade, and an all-time favorite, and the man who helps the movie be as brilliant is Daniel Day-Lewis. He's that kind of actor that makes any film worth seeing. He played a staggering role in Scorsese's "Gangs of New York", and then makes an even better attempt in this. Paul Dano plays the supporting character as a young preacher, and boyThere Will Be Blood has to be the best movie of the decade, and an all-time favorite, and the man who helps the movie be as brilliant is Daniel Day-Lewis. He's that kind of actor that makes any film worth seeing. He played a staggering role in Scorsese's "Gangs of New York", and then makes an even better attempt in this. Paul Dano plays the supporting character as a young preacher, and boy was he perfect for that role. He should of won "best supporting actor", but at least Day-Lewis won. There Will Be Blood is a story about an oil man named Daniel Plainview and his adopted son, H.W, who make their way across California, trying to dig out every last bit of oil they can find. Having met by a young man, saying that there was loads of oil on their land. Having to travel miles to their small home, they lied and said that they were hunting for quail. After a while of the hunting, H.W found the oil. Then, when having dinner with the family, Plainview brings up the oil found on their land and asks if he could buy the land for three thousand dollars, and the family immediately says yes. But one of the family's sons, named Eliot, who's a young preacher for the towns church, disagrees and asks for ten thousand. This starts a rival between the oil man and the preacher, which will create loads of problems for both, that will also cause murder.

This film may be my favorite movie of all time. This also had some parts that gives the movie resemblance to Kubrik's classic, "2001: A Space Odyssey", but like a western version, with the long stretch of the violin, and everything else quiet. I don't really find this slow at all, the whole time it was exciting and really interesting to watch. I bought the DVD without ever watching it before (though I knew it was going to be good), and now I can easily say that I made a great decision. Please watch this movie! I guarantee that if you have a passion for film or a huge fan of Day-Lewis, you'll love it!
  6. Sep 10, 2011
    an amazing film, some stunning acting from all inviolved and some of the best lines ever in a movie (milkshake!), people complaing that it lacks action or nothign happens needs to get a clue and perhaps grow up a little.....this movie doesnt hold you by the hand , it requires a little effort but gives you maximum reward.
  7. Jun 22, 2011
    Absolutely awful movie! I saw this movie because there was nothing else on and to say I didn't like it is an understatement. Truthfully the entire movie is uninteresting, boring and supremely stupid.
  8. Jun 9, 2011
    Easily one of the best performances in the history of cinema! Daniel Day-Lewis is great in every role, but this one is so believable and entertaining. I found myself unable to wait for his next line. This film grows on you...it takes a lot out of you, but the experience stays with you. It elicits that slow boil of thought afterwards, which makes you want to step back and watch it again.
  9. May 16, 2011
    Never before have I seen such a well made film that was so TERRIBLE.

I still have no idea why this film gets good ratings. I cannot even discern a plot, other than a story of how corrupt people can become, be they the Businessmen as depicted or the Churchmen as depicted. So, people can be bad and corrupt? We needed over 2.5 HOURS of wasted film for this? The performances were
    Never before have I seen such a well made film that was so TERRIBLE.

The performances were excellent, the cinematography was outstanding, but there was simply no real plot and nothing to care about in this tedious film.

It is a pity I cannot score it lower than 0.
  10. Mar 29, 2011
    Daniel Day-Lewis and Paul Thomas Anderson have created one of the greatest movies of this time and perhaps of all time. There is so much ambition, brilliance, detail, and probably everything that you would put in a great movie. I don't think that anything, and anything could top this level of amazement for me. The film has put me through a cathartic and dogmatic experience by justDaniel Day-Lewis and Paul Thomas Anderson have created one of the greatest movies of this time and perhaps of all time. There is so much ambition, brilliance, detail, and probably everything that you would put in a great movie. I don't think that anything, and anything could top this level of amazement for me. The film has put me through a cathartic and dogmatic experience by just watching. Truly outstanding on every **** level. A masterpiece. Expand
  11. Mar 19, 2011
    UNPARALLELED!!! DANIEL DAY-LEWIS KILLS IT!!! THIS DESERVES TO BE CALLED A CLASSIC IN EVERY WAY... AMAZING ACTING, DIRECTING, MUSIC (JOHNNY GREENWOOD), ENDING... EVERYTHING.
  12. Mar 16, 2011
    What an amazing film. Daniel Day Lewis is haunting. Each of the 156 minutes from the initial pioneering scenes to the final Kubrick-esque moments dazzles in it's intensity. Meanwhile, the loss of consciousness, of mind, of vision, of sanity, is so subtle, is so delicate and unassuming that hours after the final credits have rolled one can only blink and say 'wow'
  13. Mar 12, 2011
    The films of Paul Thomas Anderson seem to polarise folks - I'm one who loves his films but plenty of people don't. That said this film is quite a departure from his previous work - no large ensemble cast, no contemporary / modern setting, very little humour, relatively sparse dialogue. This has the same feeling of unease as 'Punch Drunk Love' largely due to Johnny Greenwood's (of RadioheadThe films of Paul Thomas Anderson seem to polarise folks - I'm one who loves his films but plenty of people don't. That said this film is quite a departure from his previous work - no large ensemble cast, no contemporary / modern setting, very little humour, relatively sparse dialogue. This has the same feeling of unease as 'Punch Drunk Love' largely due to Johnny Greenwood's (of Radiohead fame) brilliant / unconventional score (incidental music might be more accurate). Daniel Day-Lewis plays the protagonist Daniel Plainview very adeptly - a great psychological study into the unique individuals that prosper in times of explosive industrial growth.

A great and unique movie that will surely be recognized as a classic in years to come
  14. Jan 9, 2011
    This is literally a terrible film. I love Daniel Day Lewis but NOT in this film, there is just nothing going on with the acting. A big yawn fest. A couple of good one liners so the script isn't awful but there is just not anything interesting about this film.
  15. Dec 16, 2010
    Great movie... original feel to movie in general and for certain in DDL's performance. Loved it and refreshing compared to the majority of movies made these days.

Best of all time... no ... but only 1-2 movies a year are made that are worth watching..... I'm so glad they are... I'm running out of old classics to watch lol.
  16. Dec 4, 2010
    A work of truly brilliant madness. It's the kind of film that sticks with you for a very long time. After seeing it only once, I knew there was something special here. Daniel Day-Lewis gives one of the most fascinating performances in movie history. From beginning to end, it never stops being a crazy, imperfect, frustrating and masterful piece of cinematic history. It comes highlyA work of truly brilliant madness. It's the kind of film that sticks with you for a very long time. After seeing it only once, I knew there was something special here. Daniel Day-Lewis gives one of the most fascinating performances in movie history. From beginning to end, it never stops being a crazy, imperfect, frustrating and masterful piece of cinematic history. It comes highly recommended for anyone who is interested in film as an art form, and, in my opinion, it trumps the overrated No Country for Old Men. Expand
  17. Nov 3, 2010
    Very politically minded, intelligent, brutal and unapologetic. Daniel Day Lewis owns this film and deservedly won the Oscar for it. Great music, beautiful settings but it is always the story that triumphs with a finale that feels right. Much more satisfying than No Country For Old Men.
  18. Oct 4, 2010
    I couldn't think of a more boring movie. Good acting? Looks more like imitating Sean Connery's accent. I hated this movie so much I would actually use the poster as toilet paper!
  19. Sep 19, 2010
    Amazing. Two days in a row, and two days of incredible movies that portray humans at their most raw. Still afflicted with Oscar fever, I followed up my viewing of The Reader with There Will Be Blood, which won Daniel Day-Lewis an Oscar for Best Actor last year.

Gritty, cold and, at times, cruel, this period piece set in the late 1800s through the Great Depression, There Will Be Blood is, at its core, about the business of...well, business, versus the business of salvation. Neither are proven to be better, or worse, as the case may be, than the other except for maybe, in the end, Daniel Day-Lewis' character is shown to be more exact in his evil, while his moral counterpart, Eli, is shown to be naive in his selfishness.

Paul Thomas Anderson continues his track record of unique and heavily character-driven films, in the vein of Boogie Nights, Magnolia and Punch-Drunk Love. As usual, his characters are immensely flawed and capable of the most atrocious of actions. He's quickly becoming a master of creating characters who actually do what only our darkest moments think of doing, if then.

As usual, Daniel Day-Lewis is outstanding in his role, commanding immense strength on the screen. The Oscar was well-deserved.

My only real criticism of the film is that the portrayal of Eli's religious con-man being made into the weak, whiny hypocrite that he becomes, comes across more as a personal indictment of Anderson's rather than an necessary element of the movie, specifically Eli's senseless murder in the end. Unlike the seemingly objectivity of The Reader, There Will Be Blood shamelessly overexaggerates the stupidity of the congregation (and, believe me, I cannot believe I'm saying that since I generally believe Christianity to be silly). If Eli is proven to be a great fool, what then of the congregation who put such faith in him? It rubbed me the wrong way, but didn't make me enjoy the film less. Perhaps portraying Daniel as an empty, soul-less man is meant to counter the naivete of his enemy.
  20. Sep 13, 2010
    Oil that is, Black Gold, Texas Tea.
    Daniel Day Lewis is "into" oil & makes his fortune, sometimes at the misfortune of others.
    Weighs in at just over two & a half hours but I didn't think it dragged too much & the authenticity of the film is superb.
    As to be expected, Lewis is brilliant but so is Paul Dano as Eli.
    Not to everyone's taste but I really enjoyed it.
    I'm finished!
  21. Aug 27, 2010
    One of the first great achievements in narrative and character study in the 21st century. There is no doubt in my mind that this movie will become one of the great classics of our generation.
  22. Aug 16, 2010
    A modern masterpiece. This is Anderson's best film. Day-Lewis and Dano are both stunning. Greenwood's soundtrack is hypnotizing and phenomenal. The visuals are dazzling if not completely hallucinating. The black humor is outrageously funny and brilliantly placed so that only the most astute viewer and can notice it. One of the best films of the 2000's.
  23. Aug 14, 2010
    Paul Thomas Anderson is the best minimalistic director out, in my opinion. Most of his movies have been very simple but they have deeper messages in them. Definitely in my top 10. Amazing movie.

1. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    There Will Be Blood is ferocious, and it will be championed and attacked with an equal ferocity. When the dust settles, we may look back on it as some kind of obsessed classic.
  2. Reviewed by: Glenn Kenny
    There Will Be Blood is, in fact, not a historical saga; rather, it's an absurdist, blackly comic horror film with a very idiosyncratic satanic figure at its core.
  3. Reviewed by: John DeFore
    Daniel Day-Lewis stuns in Paul Thomas Anderson's saga of a soul-dead oil man.