7.8

1. RichardS.
    Apr 11, 2008
    Well made movie about someone you don't like or care about. Too bad Day-Lewis can act in every way except to express pain. The editing was bad.
  2. CarlM.
    Apr 12, 2008
    Dramatic but confusing.
  3. AndreN
    Apr 19, 2008
    This is one of those movies that does everything right. The acting, the music, the cinematography are all brilliant but technical excellence alone does not necessarily make for a good movie. The other ingredient - enjoyability is sorely lacking from this movie. This has got nothing to do with the dark atmosphere created in the movie - as there are many dark, but also enjoyable movies. The This is one of those movies that does everything right. The acting, the music, the cinematography are all brilliant but technical excellence alone does not necessarily make for a good movie. The other ingredient - enjoyability is sorely lacking from this movie. This has got nothing to do with the dark atmosphere created in the movie - as there are many dark, but also enjoyable movies. The plot is simplistic, the dialogue is boring and there is minimal character development over the course of the storyline. Although Day-Lewis acting probably deserves the Oscar, this alone cannot save this one-dimensional movie. A big disappointment! Expand
  4. JonathanC.
    Feb 25, 2008
    What do you say about a movie that has great acting, directing, cinematography, and a good subject, but you forget about it minutes later? Guess what...you say that it's not a great movie! Compare that to No Country for Old Men, that gives you the willies days later. I almost feel like people like this movie because not feeling anything is supposed to be "artsy". Please! Movies are What do you say about a movie that has great acting, directing, cinematography, and a good subject, but you forget about it minutes later? Guess what...you say that it's not a great movie! Compare that to No Country for Old Men, that gives you the willies days later. I almost feel like people like this movie because not feeling anything is supposed to be "artsy". Please! Movies are either pieces art or a good story...Great movies are both. This was only art. Expand
  5. JJ.
    Apr 11, 2008
    Drastically overhyped and paced like the bastard step child of Solarace and English Patient on qualudes. The third act is a mess that will leave you with that sense of bewilderment. Clearly a movie that chose device over substance to evoke some hackneyed emotion. The score is one of many devices that I
  6. JA.
    Jun 14, 2008
    This movie is a one trick pony that quickly tires midway through. I found myself looking at my watch more than the screen. The only thing thinner than the plot are the characters. What a disappointment.
  7. Mar 13, 2012
    I still am baffled at how anyone thinks this is a good movie. I have watched it twice now and both times I was so bored and confused as to what the meaning of this turd was, I had to fight to stay awake. I get the plot, but the whole moral dilemma thing just escapes me. I mean, in real life who the hell acts like these people do? The only positive things I got from this movie were theI still am baffled at how anyone thinks this is a good movie. I have watched it twice now and both times I was so bored and confused as to what the meaning of this turd was, I had to fight to stay awake. I get the plot, but the whole moral dilemma thing just escapes me. I mean, in real life who the hell acts like these people do? The only positive things I got from this movie were the visuals and the acting of Daniel Day-Lewis. Other than that, avoid this movie unless you want to be bored to tears and pissed off at the ending. Expand
  8. Mar 31, 2012
    The only reason this movie gets a 2 is because of its acting other than that zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. I almost cried because i was so bored. I rather watch grass grow in my backyard. What a disgrace this movie is and it doesn't deserve to be up for best picture.
  9. Mar 31, 2012
    No matter how superb that acting was and the overall quality of the film.....it is wayyyyyyyyyy too long and pointless. It was the farthest thing from a gripping movie. There were some very good scenes and music, but come on....so boring.
  10. May 24, 2013
    this movie is too awkward with an obnoxious writing i mean i know Daniel day-lewess made an awesome performance there is no Doubt about that but the writing keep you away from the story i mean why when his son became deaf he was happy ?
    why his son burned down the house ?
    why he killed his brother ? why he waited all these years until he told his son that he was adopted ? why in hell
    why his son burned down the house ?
    why he killed his brother ?
    why he waited all these years until he told his son that he was adopted ?
    why in hell he killed the monk ?
    omg i felt stupid after watching this movie.
  11. Apr 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This films started off well, but once we've seen how Plainview (Day-Lewis) set up the business and his early difficulties in buying land to drill for oil that the film starts to take a nose dive. First of all, there is little to no character development we learn nothing about Plainview's work force, his son (who turns out not to be his son) is only developed very slightly towards the end. There are also a few things that don't make any sense i.e when Plainview abandons the boy on the train. He is returned back to Plainview later in the film, but where had he been? Where did they find him? How long had he been gone for? None of this is explained. I also felt the ending was over the top. I gave it 4 mainly because it started out well and Day-Lewis put in a good performance (not Oscar worthy though). I also thought the guy who played Eli put on a good performance too. Expand
  12. Feb 10, 2014
    some scenes are boring. but I I need to talk about all of body, yes good film. Daniel Day Lewis carries this film on some scenes, but at the beginning of film you will see the perfect scenes.
  13. Jul 25, 2014
    I will resume this movie in three words: **** ING ****
    Daniel Day Lewis is not better actor than Adam Sandler or Paul Dano, and the oscar goes for him?
    This society is simply awful.
  14. KaseyS
    Jan 7, 2008
    I still can't get it out of my mind. Horrifying. Excellent. I praise the return of silence in movies. It makes the sparse dialogue that much more meaningful.
  15. GlennC
    Jan 7, 2008
    Audrey, you are a complete moron. This film was the best of the year. Go see a terrible film like P.S. I love you.
  16. MarcK.
    Jan 7, 2008
    I really wanted to like this one too. Started out OK, however, the last 30 minutes or so were ridiculous and over-the-top. I think P.T. Anderson is like Tarantino. P.T. makes the great "Boogie Nights", and while we all thought he was going to be a great director. I think we now realize it was just a fluke.
  17. TomB.
    Feb 20, 2008
    Not as good as I expected, but still a very fine movie. DDLewis's performance is stunning, even if it's over the top in a few places, but I blame that on the director not the actor. This is a visual masterwork but the script/story was not as fulfilling.
  18. Toddb
    Mar 2, 2008
    I would let day-lewis sleep with my wife just to raise his offspring. thats all that needs to be said he's a genius and you people who think this movie is boring or over hyped, go watch your saw movies and shut the hell up. your uncultured and useless to society.
  19. JayM.
    Apr 8, 2008
    It may very well be the best film of 2007; certainly time will be kind to this eccentric, almost Wellesian masterpiece from Paul Thomas Anderson. Can he follow it up with anything like an Ambersons for a one-two puch to achieve true greatness?
  20. DerickK
    Mar 20, 2010
    I believe I am the only person on earth who watches this movie for fun. I've seen it 8 times.
  21. Kevin
    Jan 10, 2008
    Fantasitc acting. At times marvelous. At times too slow. Overall very good. One, Enchanted, and Juno are still my favorites of the year
  22. noelw
    Jan 2, 2008
    best american movie since taking of pelham 123
  23. JimmySo
    Dec 22, 2008
    Atheists must have some bad blood with movie directors. How else to explain their latest representative on the silver screen
  24. BlakeJ
    Jan 30, 2008
    The new American epic. Daniel Plainview will resonate forever as a man trying to accomplish the American Dream. Day-Lewis' performance is mesmerizing. In every frame he IS Plainview. From the first scene you know you're dealing with a Goliath. Paul Dano will surely move from this movie and become one of the next big stars, I predict an Oscar in his future. Paul Thomas Anderson The new American epic. Daniel Plainview will resonate forever as a man trying to accomplish the American Dream. Day-Lewis' performance is mesmerizing. In every frame he IS Plainview. From the first scene you know you're dealing with a Goliath. Paul Dano will surely move from this movie and become one of the next big stars, I predict an Oscar in his future. Paul Thomas Anderson crafts the perfect story...everything circling his main character...The whole time I was trying to figure out who the antagonist was...but then I realized Plainview is his own protagonist and antagonist...he is ultimately the one at fault for his downfall, a downfall not dissimilar to that of Scarface. Expand
  25. jimi99
    Jan 4, 2008
    In two words: Major Bore. If you want a film about evil abroad in the world, this film is laughably trivial compared to "No Country for Old Men," which is a masterpiece. The long takes fairly scream "epic importance!" and the central conflict, between a fairly interesting ruthless oil wildcatter and a wimpy insincere evangelist, is simply not an enduring metaphor for America, the human In two words: Major Bore. If you want a film about evil abroad in the world, this film is laughably trivial compared to "No Country for Old Men," which is a masterpiece. The long takes fairly scream "epic importance!" and the central conflict, between a fairly interesting ruthless oil wildcatter and a wimpy insincere evangelist, is simply not an enduring metaphor for America, the human soul, or an enjoyable time in the moviehouse. The Coen brothers are filmmakers; Paul Anderson is an auteur--in the worst sense of the word. Expand
  26. Zaj
    Jan 9, 2008
    Audrey, the deal is your ignorance. Do you eat feces daily? Because clearly you have an appetite for shit.
  27. TerryR.
    Feb 10, 2008
    Don't worry, Jamie L., the video game will come out soon and you'll get to blow things up and buy a lot of "bling" with the oil money: your wasted three hours will all be worth it then! Seriously, though, "boring"?! Did you actually watch the movie? Did you watch D.D.L.'s decent into paranoid madness? This movie is definitely one of the years best (2007), if not one of the Don't worry, Jamie L., the video game will come out soon and you'll get to blow things up and buy a lot of "bling" with the oil money: your wasted three hours will all be worth it then! Seriously, though, "boring"?! Did you actually watch the movie? Did you watch D.D.L.'s decent into paranoid madness? This movie is definitely one of the years best (2007), if not one of the decades, and D.D.L., again, gives a masterful spin on a man trying to make people love and respect him while simultaneously pushing everyone away. Two scenes alone make this movie amazing - the scene where he runs with H.W. in his arms and when his "son" returns from "school" and they're in the restaurant together. Both show the conflict of emotions in D.D.L.'s character and are mesmerizing to watch. The score was perfect to reflect what was going on underneath Daniel Plainview's (PlainVIEW, John S.) steely exterior and to give the dry, arid landscape a sort of creepy quality, and the supporting cast was perfect (can you "overact" if your character is an evangelist?). Thank you, Paul Thomas Anderson for not filling in all the blanks. What is the motivation behind the Plainview character? What's the significance of family when commerce gets in the way? At what point does your environment take over in determining the type of person you are? Expand
  28. LeslieW.
    Feb 10, 2008
    The best film I've seen in years! The score was wonderfully juxtaposed against the story. Day-Lewis performance was the best of his career, wicked and frightening, passionately paranoid, completely, madly driven! Paul Dano is incredible. I can't wait to see it again.
  29. EliS.
    Feb 20, 2008
    This should definitely win Best Picture. Daniel Day Lewis has the performance of the year, and the underrated supporting work by Paul Dano as an evangelical preacher was snubbed for Best Supporting Actor. The haunting theme still resonates, the score is fantastic, it never gets boring and it's as deliciously, scarily dark as Plainview's oil wells.
  30. IanS-H
    Feb 3, 2008
    I honestly can't remember the last time I've been so giddy and satisfied after seeing a movie. Music/Cinematography/Acting... all stunning. Stop reading review and go see it. It's pretty obvious by this point (A metacritic 92!!) that it's worth seeing.

1. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    There Will Be Blood is ferocious, and it will be championed and attacked with an equal ferocity. When the dust settles, we may look back on it as some kind of obsessed classic.
  2. Reviewed by: Glenn Kenny
    There Will Be Blood is, in fact, not a historical saga; rather, it's an absurdist, blackly comic horror film with a very idiosyncratic satanic figure at its core.
  3. Reviewed by: John DeFore
    Daniel Day-Lewis stuns in Paul Thomas Anderson's saga of a soul-dead oil man.