7.7

1. Sep 19, 2014
    Yes ...absolutely one of the best films of that year. Superb acting, taut script and all round class. Job well done! DDL and PTA have crafted an epic tale of greed and ambition
  2. Sep 10, 2014
    I can see how many people find this movie boring but I found it really great, yes it does drag on at a lot of parts but it is just a fantastic movie. Daniel Day Lewis is amazing in this movie and deserved the best actor award at the Oscars. The visuals are also very good as the scenery in this movie is cool. Also some great cinematography kept me into this film the whole time. Good supporting acting and a very good all around movie. Expand
  3. Jul 25, 2014
    I will resume this movie in three words: **** ING ****
    Daniel Day Lewis is not better actor than Adam Sandler or Paul Dano, and the oscar goes for him?
    This society is simply awful.
  4. Jul 7, 2014
    Paul Thomas Anderson created a masterpiece when he wrote and directed "There Will Be Blood" but, unfortunately for him, another masterpiece (ever-so-slightly closer to perfection) edged the Academy Award for Best Picture in 2007. However, in terms of character study this film is up there with Taxi Driver and Citizen Kane and, when this is combined with the indomitable performance of Daniel Day-Lewis, "There Will Be Blood" is in a league of its own. Some may find this film long, slow, or even boring but there is no doubt that the fascinating message that PT Anderson conveys so successfully will still stay with you - memorable, horrifying and enlightening. Expand
  5. Jun 22, 2014
    Daniel Day Lewis may be the crowning Jewel of this film but Paul Thomas Anderson deserves just as much credit. There Will Be Blood is the perfect example the film that will surely stand the test of time. This is easily one of the most powerful films of the decade.
  6. Jun 15, 2014
    Many critics called it "a masterpiece" and "One of the best film of decade", then I really agree about that. You can't easily find many film like "There Will Be Blood", very rare, an epic drama film. With a story about family, oil, religion and greed, this film easily become one of the richest film ever made. Daniel Day-Lewis' performance is outstanding.
  7. May 1, 2014
    Now to my mind, it's an abomination to consider that any man, woman or child in this magnificent country of ours should have to look upon (this particular) loaf of bread as (anything but) a luxury

I have drank this milkshake and I approve.
  8. Mar 1, 2014
    The best part about There Will Be Blood is the fact that Day-Lewis can give his character depth in the first ten minutes without saying a word. This shows what an actor he is. The rest of the movie falls in place from there, and is one hell of an experience.
  9. Feb 13, 2014
    A great piece of art about dehumanising effects of power and money. When greed possesses people, this sin is even worse when completed with hate. A drama of a man that is full of evil purposes, he cannot love or empathise with anybody, He is feeling surrounded only by enemies, only by competitors. Anderson proves once more that this world we are living in is a jungle, where the main goal is to succeed no matter what are the consequences. The last scene summarizes the grotesque, making Daniel Plainview one of the best icons of the fallen man. Expand
  10. Feb 10, 2014
    some scenes are boring. but I I need to talk about all of body, yes good film. Daniel Day Lewis carries this film on some scenes, but at the beginning of film you will see the perfect scenes.
  11. Jan 25, 2014
    Just fantastic. This was my first film that I've seen directed by Paul Thomas Anderson and it did not disappoint in the least. The film is slow, but the acting from Daniel Day-Lewis, Paul Dano and cast, is just so engrossing that you cannot look away. The sets were brilliant and looked extremely realistic and fit in perfectly with the times they were depicting. Those who claim there is no story are missing the bigger picture. Sure, there is no direct story, but what we are seeing is so much bigger than that. The interaction of every character and the constant "peeling back of the onion" that is Daniel Plainview and how evil he truly is make up for any story people may be searching for. In fact, I dare say that is the story; the revealing of how far a man will go to make money and how cutthroat you had to be to make it in the the time period depicted. Fantastic film. Expand
  12. Jan 25, 2014
    Daniel Day-Lewis did an excellent job as his role of Daniel Plainview. This to me is a high quality film that deserves a lot more credibility. I recommend everyone should see this movie once, because this has to be one of the best movies ever made. Through my short years, I have learned to appreciate a great movie when i see one, and this movie tops them all!
  13. Jan 3, 2014
    Já começa com Daniel Day-Lewis dando show de interpretação, claro até o fim do filme. Bom Paul Thomas já tem meu eterno respeito, essa película fenomenal.
  14. Oct 14, 2013
    The major problem of the film Daniel Day Lewis is that he is so good an actor that we were watching only him and his ways to embody the character, we almost forgot about the rest of the film, but the film in question is extremely good and thoughtful (even that sometimes bombastic).
  15. Sep 18, 2013
    A morality tale where evil is self aware from the opening credits to the bloody, seething finish. This is beyond a tone poem, something of an Old Testament caliber parable, where there's no hope, no light, just the severe presence and weight of a thick, ethically drained darkness. To call it one of the most important motion pictures ever made would be no understatement.
  16. Sep 13, 2013
    Masterful film. Contains an original and interesting narrative, a lot of unsubtle bashes at religion, an emotionally charged and holy-inspired (no pun intended) performance by Daniel Day-Lewis, and a dark ending that has spawned my personal favorite quote of any movie. Has instantly become a favorite.
  17. Jul 31, 2013
    The closing sequence delivers on the promise of the movie's title in a manner that keeps viewers discussing it long after the picture ends. “There Will Be Blood” is not a movie that disappears quietly. Paul Thomas Anderson's epic masterpiece "There will be Blood" is a steadfast reflection of the very essence of capitalism in America, where domination, not gain, is the ultimate objective, and by any means necessary.

When we first meet Daniel Plainview (Daniel Day-Lewis) in 1898, he's mining for gold in a shaft he has dug into the ground of his Texas property. He finds what he's looking for, and perhaps more. Several years later, he has shifted his focus from gold to oil and he has been able to hire some hands. When an accident results in a death, Daniel finds himself with an infant orphan to care for. He raises the child, known as H.W., to be his own. By 1912, Daniel has become a well-known oilman, and he his looking to expand his empire. Accompanied by his partner, Fletcher (Ciarán Hinds), and his son (Dillon Freasier), he travels to California to follow a promising lead. What he finds there astonishes him. He seeks to buy large parcels of property, but he is impeded in his goal by the evangelist preacher Eli Sunday (Paul Dano), who wants Daniel to donate $10,000 to the local church before he sells. After the contract is signed, however, Daniel reneges on the deal. Shortly thereafter, once the first drill has become operational, there is an accident that results in an explosion that fuels a major oil fire and costs H.W. his hearing.

For most of the film, Daniel is a fascinating character. He's a mass of contradictions: charismatic, ugly, easygoing, ruthless, silver-tongued, plain-spoken, gentle, violent. He's smart and understands how to manipulate every situation to his advantage. He understands the business of oil and transforms himself from a poor miner into a wealthy businessman. Unfortunately, the more power Daniel amasses, the more corrupt and dissolute he becomes. Anderson chronicles Daniel's personality decay intelligently. He establishes the character as an admirable individual, but eventually his morality slowly erodes. The lives of these two, Daniel and Eli, are self-centered, cunning, and ruthless men who collide and lead us into the dark, unpaved path of madness of self-destruction driven by their unrelenting greed.

“There Will Be Blood” is a rich character study of a fascinating individual who is by turns likable, loathsome, admirable, monstrous, and driven. What Day-Lewis brings to the characterization is more exquisite and complex than anything even Anderson might have imagined at the outset. His Plainview is the most gripping film performance of the year, and as his religious foil, Dano also reveals unsuspected depths. Long, but so well crafted with terrific cinematography, and beautifully written/directed by Paul Thomas Anderson. Daniel Day-Lewis and Robert Elswit both earned Academy Awards.
  18. Jul 2, 2013
    The performance by Daniel Day-Lewis is just fantastic, and the cinematography is beautiful to look at. Paul Thomas Anderson has made a brilliant movie which is beautiful shot, and the acting by Daniel Day-Lewis is amazing.
  19. Jun 30, 2013
    Disciplined, polished, beautiful, without any surplus.
    As many reviews with low score said it, it is not fast-paced but it is not meant to be and if the only thing you seek in movies is blood-pumping adrenaline shot actions, well..
  20. Jun 21, 2013
    A masterpiece plain and simple. Paul Thomas Anderson directs this film beautifully with shot after shot leaving me overwhelmed. The score helps guide the scenes with perfection. Finally Daniel Day Lewis gives one the finest performances in cinematic history.
  21. Jun 11, 2013
    Clearly this film isn't for everyone. For me, it's Anderson's best, and one of the best films of recent years, because it combines realism (which some people mistake for lack of plot) with intensity, action with meditation, and amazing performances and settings. Jonny Greenwood contributes a haunting but earthy score, whose rawness often plays off the characteristic intensity of Day-Lewis' antiheroic protagonist. All this plays out in terms of a revealing meditation on the origins of the clash between capitalism and religion in modern-day America. Truly a film that ticks all the boxes see for yourself why it was the most mentioned film on critics' 'best of the decade' lists for the noughties. Expand
  22. May 27, 2013
    Posted on 5/19/13 09:05 AM
    Is there any doubt that Daniel day Lewis is the best actor to ever grace the screen, lets say you put his performance aside from this film you still have Paul Dano haunting performance Robert ewlisit cinematography and gritty direction to me Lewis performance was enough but wow did I get more
  23. May 26, 2013
    Daniel Day Lewis was absolutely fantastic; one of the best performances by any actor I've ever seen. He was so real and convincing, every moment was just perfect. A good performance by Paul Dano as well, especially in the church scenes and the final scene. I was hesitant to watch this movie because I've heard so many bad things about it, that it's too long, boring, and that it's pointless. I just have one thing to say, and that is this is a masterpiece. By far the best movie of 2007, and one of the best of our time. My favorite scene in the entire film is the last scene, it really puts it all into perspective. This is a brilliant movie, you absolutely must NOT miss it. Expand
  24. May 26, 2013
    Day Lewis kills. Bit by bit, he shapes There Will Be Blood into a masterpiece. The shades and story is tedious and slow but wait and see the drama and excitement you are in for.
  25. May 24, 2013
    this movie is too awkward with an obnoxious writing i mean i know Daniel day-lewess made an awesome performance there is no Doubt about that but the writing keep you away from the story i mean why when his son became deaf he was happy ?
    why his son burned down the house ?
    why he killed his brother ?
    why he waited all these years until he told his son that he was adopted ?
    why in hell
    he killed the monk ?
    omg i felt stupid after watching this movie.
  26. May 4, 2013
    This movie is a bit on the long side, but overall it is a really enjoyable story to follow. A class drama. Especially the ending takes the cake! I'm finished.
  27. Apr 27, 2013
    By far the best performance by Daniel Day Lewis to-date and Paul Thomas Anderson's best film by far. A film that works on every level; great acting, great storytelling, great cinematography, great score. A must see film for any aspiring film buffs and a essential watch for fans of great films.
  28. Apr 11, 2013
    The film answers the question of how far greed can drive a man to succeed, and how far the money and in this case, oil, truly dictates human behaviour. There Will Be Blood tells the ultimate disaster of one man's mission to be the best at what he does, and discard anything that gets in his way.
    Daniel Day-Lewis puts in one of the greatest and most memorable performances of any actor or
    actress in the last few decades, his wispy and dominating voice truly capture the ruthless and maniacal means boiling beneath the surface, he is the 'oilman' Daniel Plainview, and he gets what he wants.
    The film opens with very little dialogue, we watch Plainview, alone and down a well, digging for oil, his perseverance and can-do attitude are apparent as he breaks his leg in a fall, but manages to get out of the well and start over again.
    Plainview and his son, HW, coax towns into letting them dig up their land in the search for oil, and when he is approached into a town with the potential of riches beyond measure, he is met with the bizarre and erratic Eli Sunday (Paul Dano), a preacher who ends up being at egotistical loggerheads with Plainview about his faith and his intentions with the town.
    After a tragic accident, Plainviews behaviour drastically changes and ulterior motive soon come to light, wanting to have so much money that he would no longer have to know people. The addition of his half-brother perhaps shows a more humanly side to him, but he seems determined and forthright to get what he wants, eventually falling into obsessive and alcohol-fuelled madness.
    An epic tale which is never without its drama, There Will Be Blood never fails to impress in its acting, writing and visual landscapes of beauty, filming in the same place as No Country for Old Men, the similarities in film style.
    But of course it is the thrilling characters that truly make this film what it is, Plainview has flashes of Citizen Kane in his determination for everything, but ultimately loneliness at what he has become.
    The film has styles of long scenes and plenty of dialogue, but what truly needs to be seen is the characters who bring these scenes to life, the ambition of Paul Thomas Anderson could indeed have been a hit or miss but what he has created is something unique.
    The often debated ending has been the subject of many talks, particularly peoples distaste for it, but as the film goes on its difficult to imagine another finish, other than the madness within.
    A truly remarkable film that never ceases to amaze in its character development, expert writing and ambitious reach that could very well be the best film in the last fifteen years. Taking it from its remarkable perch could indeed be a difficult thing.
  29. Apr 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This films started off well, but once we've seen how Plainview (Day-Lewis) set up the business and his early difficulties in buying land to drill for oil that the film starts to take a nose dive. First of all, there is little to no character development we learn nothing about Plainview's work force, his son (who turns out not to be his son) is only developed very slightly towards the end. There are also a few things that don't make any sense i.e when Plainview abandons the boy on the train. He is returned back to Plainview later in the film, but where had he been? Where did they find him? How long had he been gone for? None of this is explained. I also felt the ending was over the top. I gave it 4 mainly because it started out well and Day-Lewis put in a good performance (not Oscar worthy though). I also thought the guy who played Eli put on a good performance too. Expand
  30. Mar 14, 2013
    An irrefutable masterpiece and anyone who denies it should have their milkshake drunk ASAP. It's original, intense and pretty much perfect in every way. You can feel Anderson's engagement with his subject matter and his passion for the work. You don't feel that sense of disengagement like you do with most empty Hollywood films. This is cinema at it's best, a disturbing portrayal of human nature and the effect of power. I'm just grateful that we still have at least one brilliant Director left in the world. Expand

1. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    There Will Be Blood is ferocious, and it will be championed and attacked with an equal ferocity. When the dust settles, we may look back on it as some kind of obsessed classic.
  2. Reviewed by: Glenn Kenny
    There Will Be Blood is, in fact, not a historical saga; rather, it's an absurdist, blackly comic horror film with a very idiosyncratic satanic figure at its core.
  3. Reviewed by: John DeFore
    Daniel Day-Lewis stuns in Paul Thomas Anderson's saga of a soul-dead oil man.