7.8

1. Mar 29, 2011
    Daniel Day-Lewis and Paul Thomas Anderson have created one of the greatest movies of this time and perhaps of all time. There is so much ambition, brilliance, detail, and probably everything that you would put in a great movie. I don't think that anything, and anything could top this level of amazement for me. The film has put me through a cathartic and dogmatic experience by justDaniel Day-Lewis and Paul Thomas Anderson have created one of the greatest movies of this time and perhaps of all time. There is so much ambition, brilliance, detail, and probably everything that you would put in a great movie. I don't think that anything, and anything could top this level of amazement for me. The film has put me through a cathartic and dogmatic experience by just watching. Truly outstanding on every **** level. A masterpiece. Expand
  2. Apr 27, 2013
    By far the best performance by Daniel Day Lewis to-date and Paul Thomas Anderson's best film by far. A film that works on every level; great acting, great storytelling, great cinematography, great score. A must see film for any aspiring film buffs and a essential watch for fans of great films.
  3. Sep 13, 2010
    Oil that is, Black Gold, Texas Tea.
    Daniel Day Lewis is "into" oil & makes his fortune, sometimes at the misfortune of others.
    Weighs in at just over two & a half hours but I didn't think it dragged too much & the authenticity of the film is superb.
    As to be expected, Lewis is brilliant but so is Paul Dano as Eli.
    Not to everyone's taste but I really enjoyed it.
    I'm finished!
  4. Aug 27, 2010
    One of the first great achievements in narrative and character study in the 21st century. There is no doubt in my mind that this movie will become one of the great classics of our generation.
  5. Mar 19, 2011
    UNPARALLELED!!! DANIEL DAY-LEWIS KILLS IT!!! THIS DESERVES TO BE CALLED A CLASSIC IN EVERY WAY... AMAZING ACTING, DIRECTING, MUSIC (JOHNNY GREENWOOD), ENDING... EVERYTHING.
  6. Jan 25, 2014
    Just fantastic. This was my first film that I've seen directed by Paul Thomas Anderson and it did not disappoint in the least. The film is slow, but the acting from Daniel Day-Lewis, Paul Dano and cast, is just so engrossing that you cannot look away. The sets were brilliant and looked extremely realistic and fit in perfectly with the times they were depicting. Those who claim there is noJust fantastic. This was my first film that I've seen directed by Paul Thomas Anderson and it did not disappoint in the least. The film is slow, but the acting from Daniel Day-Lewis, Paul Dano and cast, is just so engrossing that you cannot look away. The sets were brilliant and looked extremely realistic and fit in perfectly with the times they were depicting. Those who claim there is no story are missing the bigger picture. Sure, there is no direct story, but what we are seeing is so much bigger than that. The interaction of every character and the constant "peeling back of the onion" that is Daniel Plainview and how evil he truly is make up for any story people may be searching for. In fact, I dare say that is the story; the revealing of how far a man will go to make money and how cutthroat you had to be to make it in the the time period depicted. Fantastic film. Expand
  7. Sep 17, 2012
    There Will Be Blood is a captivating film, detailing the extents of a man's ambition and, in turn, his eventual turn to madness. Paul Thomas Anderson has created a sprawling masterpiece, an epic of the most extraordinary genre, and one rich in emotion despite the fact that the lead character (acted superbly by veteran, Daniel Day-Lewis) lacks a shred of compassion. The ending is brutal,There Will Be Blood is a captivating film, detailing the extents of a man's ambition and, in turn, his eventual turn to madness. Paul Thomas Anderson has created a sprawling masterpiece, an epic of the most extraordinary genre, and one rich in emotion despite the fact that the lead character (acted superbly by veteran, Daniel Day-Lewis) lacks a shred of compassion. The ending is brutal, confronting and gut-wrenching in scope; it leaves the viewer lost in thought (and possibly weeping) as to how capitalism managed to have such an effect on Daniel Plainview. We are left in detest of the oil-man, but undoubtedly in awe of Paul Thomas Anderson's direction, for masterpieces are rare in any age. Expand
  8. Mar 1, 2014
    The best part about There Will Be Blood is the fact that Day-Lewis can give his character depth in the first ten minutes without saying a word. This shows what an actor he is. The rest of the movie falls in place from there, and is one hell of an experience.
  9. May 1, 2014
    Now to my mind, it's an abomination to consider that any man, woman or child in this magnificent country of ours should have to look upon (this particular) loaf of bread as (anything but) a luxury

I have drank this milkshake and I approve.
  10. Aug 14, 2010
    Paul Thomas Anderson is the best minimalistic director out, in my opinion. Most of his movies have been very simple but they have deeper messages in them. Definitely in my top 10. Amazing movie.
  11. Aug 16, 2010
    A modern masterpiece. This is Anderson's best film. Day-Lewis and Dano are both stunning. Greenwood's soundtrack is hypnotizing and phenomenal. The visuals are dazzling if not completely hallucinating. The black humor is outrageously funny and brilliantly placed so that only the most astute viewer and can notice it. One of the best films of the 2000's.
  12. Mar 12, 2011
    The films of Paul Thomas Anderson seem to polarise folks - I'm one who loves his films but plenty of people don't. That said this film is quite a departure from his previous work - no large ensemble cast, no contemporary / modern setting, very little humour, relatively sparse dialogue. This has the same feeling of unease as 'Punch Drunk Love' largely due to Johnny Greenwood's (of RadioheadThe films of Paul Thomas Anderson seem to polarise folks - I'm one who loves his films but plenty of people don't. That said this film is quite a departure from his previous work - no large ensemble cast, no contemporary / modern setting, very little humour, relatively sparse dialogue. This has the same feeling of unease as 'Punch Drunk Love' largely due to Johnny Greenwood's (of Radiohead fame) brilliant / unconventional score (incidental music might be more accurate). Daniel Day-Lewis plays the protagonist Daniel Plainview very adeptly - a great psychological study into the unique individuals that prosper in times of explosive industrial growth.

A great and unique movie that will surely be recognized as a classic in years to come
  13. Sep 19, 2010
    Amazing. Two days in a row, and two days of incredible movies that portray humans at their most raw. Still afflicted with Oscar fever, I followed up my viewing of The Reader with There Will Be Blood, which won Daniel Day-Lewis an Oscar for Best Actor last year.

Gritty, cold and, at times, cruel, this period piece set in the late 1800s through the Great Depression, There Will Be Blood is, at its core, about the business of...well, business, versus the business of salvation. Neither are proven to be better, or worse, as the case may be, than the other except for maybe, in the end, Daniel Day-Lewis' character is shown to be more exact in his evil, while his moral counterpart, Eli, is shown to be naive in his selfishness.

Paul Thomas Anderson continues his track record of unique and heavily character-driven films, in the vein of Boogie Nights, Magnolia and Punch-Drunk Love. As usual, his characters are immensely flawed and capable of the most atrocious of actions. He's quickly becoming a master of creating characters who actually do what only our darkest moments think of doing, if then.

As usual, Daniel Day-Lewis is outstanding in his role, commanding immense strength on the screen. The Oscar was well-deserved.

My only real criticism of the film is that the portrayal of Eli's religious con-man being made into the weak, whiny hypocrite that he becomes, comes across more as a personal indictment of Anderson's rather than an necessary element of the movie, specifically Eli's senseless murder in the end. Unlike the seemingly objectivity of The Reader, There Will Be Blood shamelessly overexaggerates the stupidity of the congregation (and, believe me, I cannot believe I'm saying that since I generally believe Christianity to be silly). If Eli is proven to be a great fool, what then of the congregation who put such faith in him? It rubbed me the wrong way, but didn't make me enjoy the film less. Perhaps portraying Daniel as an empty, soul-less man is meant to counter the naivete of his enemy.
  14. Nov 3, 2010
    Very politically minded, intelligent, brutal and unapologetic. Daniel Day Lewis owns this film and deservedly won the Oscar for it. Great music, beautiful settings but it is always the story that triumphs with a finale that feels right. Much more satisfying than No Country For Old Men.
  15. Nov 22, 2011
    Another example of why Daniel Day Lewis is the best actor alive today. He delivers a powerful performance in this film and he is perfect from start to finish. The entire film is rather interesting but it can be a bit dull in some parts and make it a little bit of a suffer to get through. However great performances by the cast and overall interest in the plot will keep you satisfied till the end.
  16. Jul 7, 2014
    Paul Thomas Anderson created a masterpiece when he wrote and directed "There Will Be Blood" but, unfortunately for him, another masterpiece (ever-so-slightly closer to perfection) edged the Academy Award for Best Picture in 2007. However, in terms of character study this film is up there with Taxi Driver and Citizen Kane and, when this is combined with the indomitable performance of DanielPaul Thomas Anderson created a masterpiece when he wrote and directed "There Will Be Blood" but, unfortunately for him, another masterpiece (ever-so-slightly closer to perfection) edged the Academy Award for Best Picture in 2007. However, in terms of character study this film is up there with Taxi Driver and Citizen Kane and, when this is combined with the indomitable performance of Daniel Day-Lewis, "There Will Be Blood" is in a league of its own. Some may find this film long, slow, or even boring but there is no doubt that the fascinating message that PT Anderson conveys so successfully will still stay with you - memorable, horrifying and enlightening. Expand
  17. Sep 12, 2011
    There Will Be Blood has to be the best movie of the decade, and an all-time favorite, and the man who helps the movie be as brilliant is Daniel Day-Lewis. He's that kind of actor that makes any film worth seeing. He played a staggering role in Scorsese's "Gangs of New York", and then makes an even better attempt in this. Paul Dano plays the supporting character as a young preacher, and boyThere Will Be Blood has to be the best movie of the decade, and an all-time favorite, and the man who helps the movie be as brilliant is Daniel Day-Lewis. He's that kind of actor that makes any film worth seeing. He played a staggering role in Scorsese's "Gangs of New York", and then makes an even better attempt in this. Paul Dano plays the supporting character as a young preacher, and boy was he perfect for that role. He should of won "best supporting actor", but at least Day-Lewis won. There Will Be Blood is a story about an oil man named Daniel Plainview and his adopted son, H.W, who make their way across California, trying to dig out every last bit of oil they can find. Having met by a young man, saying that there was loads of oil on their land. Having to travel miles to their small home, they lied and said that they were hunting for quail. After a while of the hunting, H.W found the oil. Then, when having dinner with the family, Plainview brings up the oil found on their land and asks if he could buy the land for three thousand dollars, and the family immediately says yes. But one of the family's sons, named Eliot, who's a young preacher for the towns church, disagrees and asks for ten thousand. This starts a rival between the oil man and the preacher, which will create loads of problems for both, that will also cause murder.

This film may be my favorite movie of all time. This also had some parts that gives the movie resemblance to Kubrik's classic, "2001: A Space Odyssey", but like a western version, with the long stretch of the violin, and everything else quiet. I don't really find this slow at all, the whole time it was exciting and really interesting to watch. I bought the DVD without ever watching it before (though I knew it was going to be good), and now I can easily say that I made a great decision. Please watch this movie! I guarantee that if you have a passion for film or a huge fan of Day-Lewis, you'll love it!
  18. Sep 10, 2011
    an amazing film, some stunning acting from all inviolved and some of the best lines ever in a movie (milkshake!), people complaing that it lacks action or nothign happens needs to get a clue and perhaps grow up a little.....this movie doesnt hold you by the hand , it requires a little effort but gives you maximum reward.
  19. Jun 11, 2013
    Clearly this film isn't for everyone. For me, it's Anderson's best, and one of the best films of recent years, because it combines realism (which some people mistake for lack of plot) with intensity, action with meditation, and amazing performances and settings. Jonny Greenwood contributes a haunting but earthy score, whose rawness often plays off the characteristic intensity of Day-Lewis'Clearly this film isn't for everyone. For me, it's Anderson's best, and one of the best films of recent years, because it combines realism (which some people mistake for lack of plot) with intensity, action with meditation, and amazing performances and settings. Jonny Greenwood contributes a haunting but earthy score, whose rawness often plays off the characteristic intensity of Day-Lewis' antiheroic protagonist. All this plays out in terms of a revealing meditation on the origins of the clash between capitalism and religion in modern-day America. Truly a film that ticks all the boxes see for yourself why it was the most mentioned film on critics' 'best of the decade' lists for the noughties. Expand
  20. Nov 12, 2012
    There Will Be Blood is one of the greatest movies on my list because thanks to Paul Thomas Anderson, the movie is violent, brutal, and I think if Lincoln could get Oscar buzz, then call in Daniel-Day-Lewis. He's a gifted acclaimed actor and I think he delivers a calm, attitudinal, no-nonsense character in real life. Great film, should be in the AFI lists for the best movies of all time.
  21. Apr 11, 2013
    The film answers the question of how far greed can drive a man to succeed, and how far the money and in this case, oil, truly dictates human behaviour. There Will Be Blood tells the ultimate disaster of one man's mission to be the best at what he does, and discard anything that gets in his way.
    Daniel Day-Lewis puts in one of the greatest and most memorable performances of any actor or actress in the last few decades, his wispy and dominating voice truly capture the ruthless and maniacal means boiling beneath the surface, he is the 'oilman' Daniel Plainview, and he gets what he wants.
    The film opens with very little dialogue, we watch Plainview, alone and down a well, digging for oil, his perseverance and can-do attitude are apparent as he breaks his leg in a fall, but manages to get out of the well and start over again.
    Plainview and his son, HW, coax towns into letting them dig up their land in the search for oil, and when he is approached into a town with the potential of riches beyond measure, he is met with the bizarre and erratic Eli Sunday (Paul Dano), a preacher who ends up being at egotistical loggerheads with Plainview about his faith and his intentions with the town.
    After a tragic accident, Plainviews behaviour drastically changes and ulterior motive soon come to light, wanting to have so much money that he would no longer have to know people. The addition of his half-brother perhaps shows a more humanly side to him, but he seems determined and forthright to get what he wants, eventually falling into obsessive and alcohol-fuelled madness.
    An epic tale which is never without its drama, There Will Be Blood never fails to impress in its acting, writing and visual landscapes of beauty, filming in the same place as No Country for Old Men, the similarities in film style.
    But of course it is the thrilling characters that truly make this film what it is, Plainview has flashes of Citizen Kane in his determination for everything, but ultimately loneliness at what he has become.
    The film has styles of long scenes and plenty of dialogue, but what truly needs to be seen is the characters who bring these scenes to life, the ambition of Paul Thomas Anderson could indeed have been a hit or miss but what he has created is something unique.
    The often debated ending has been the subject of many talks, particularly peoples distaste for it, but as the film goes on its difficult to imagine another finish, other than the madness within.
    A truly remarkable film that never ceases to amaze in its character development, expert writing and ambitious reach that could very well be the best film in the last fifteen years. Taking it from its remarkable perch could indeed be a difficult thing.
  22. Oct 19, 2012
    after watching this movie, i became a fan of daniel day lewis... very dark and riveting movie. This should have been d oscar winning movie for me in that year..
  23. Jun 1, 2012
    There isn't much more I can say to add to the heap of praise that this move received, so let me just say that everyone who has called this one of the best movies ever made is telling the truth. Also, I want to just mention the amazing Score by Johnny Greenwood. It's hauntingly beautiful and it sets the mood perfectly. It's a shame it was ruled ineligible for an Academy Award.
  24. Jun 6, 2012
    I am probably applauding this film more than it deserves, but this is my type of movie. Paul T. Anderson's direction of the film is well done which should not be a surprise considering he has been called "one of American film's modern masters". The style of atmosphere Robert Elswit creates is perfect for the films setting. The script is very good. And the acting is more or so average.I am probably applauding this film more than it deserves, but this is my type of movie. Paul T. Anderson's direction of the film is well done which should not be a surprise considering he has been called "one of American film's modern masters". The style of atmosphere Robert Elswit creates is perfect for the films setting. The script is very good. And the acting is more or so average. Daniel D. Lewis does however, a job of portraying mineral prospector Daniel Plainview, still a bigger expectation from him is held after watching Gangs of New York. Watching Daniel's relationship with his boy, especially towards the end, really makes the film's audience care for the characters. Expand
  25. Feb 11, 2013
    Where to start, on the first viewing There Will Be Blood has comfortably become one of my favourite films of all time. From the dialogue-free 15 minute opening of Plainview mining alone, to the intense and violent conclusion, There Will Be Blood is unrelenting. You cannot take your eyes off Daniel Day-Lewis. He is quite simply fantastic as the fiery, vengeful and driven oilman and deservedWhere to start, on the first viewing There Will Be Blood has comfortably become one of my favourite films of all time. From the dialogue-free 15 minute opening of Plainview mining alone, to the intense and violent conclusion, There Will Be Blood is unrelenting. You cannot take your eyes off Daniel Day-Lewis. He is quite simply fantastic as the fiery, vengeful and driven oilman and deserved his Plainview becomes so dislikeable he is likeable, and I found myself routing for him, after all he is the film. The scenes between pastor Eli and Daniel, in particular the two where each humiliates the other, are worth the price of admission alone.

Maybe I'm biased, maybe Daniel Day-Lewis is one of my favourite actors, maybe because I work in the oil industry the film's subject appeals to me more, maybe great shots of drilling derricks and flaming oil gushers set against the American West just do it for me. Or maybe not, maybe Paul Thomas Anderson has just created a truly great film, full of memorable images and lines. Although central to the film, the themes of religion and capitalism are allowed to exist without heavy handed interference from Anderson. Ultimately, neither come out of the other side smelling of roses.

The reason this film only scores 9/10 is due to the score. Radiohead's Jonny Greenwood is responsible for the score which Tarantino complimented as "one of the great modern original soundtracks of the last decade" but it just didn't agree with me.
  26. Sep 18, 2013
    A morality tale where evil is self aware from the opening credits to the bloody, seething finish. This is beyond a tone poem, something of an Old Testament caliber parable, where there's no hope, no light, just the severe presence and weight of a thick, ethically drained darkness. To call it one of the most important motion pictures ever made would be no understatement.
  27. Nov 15, 2012
    This is a big, bold film from huge talent Paul Thomas Anderson, but it
  28. Nov 28, 2012
    Daniel Day-Lewis's unbelievable performance nurtures this very intelligently written film into a deeply disquieting, perpetual steamroller of vengeance and malice.
  29. May 26, 2013
    Daniel Day Lewis was absolutely fantastic; one of the best performances by any actor I've ever seen. He was so real and convincing, every moment was just perfect. A good performance by Paul Dano as well, especially in the church scenes and the final scene. I was hesitant to watch this movie because I've heard so many bad things about it, that it's too long, boring, and that it's pointless.Daniel Day Lewis was absolutely fantastic; one of the best performances by any actor I've ever seen. He was so real and convincing, every moment was just perfect. A good performance by Paul Dano as well, especially in the church scenes and the final scene. I was hesitant to watch this movie because I've heard so many bad things about it, that it's too long, boring, and that it's pointless. I just have one thing to say, and that is this is a masterpiece. By far the best movie of 2007, and one of the best of our time. My favorite scene in the entire film is the last scene, it really puts it all into perspective. This is a brilliant movie, you absolutely must NOT miss it. Expand
  30. Jun 21, 2013
    A masterpiece plain and simple. Paul Thomas Anderson directs this film beautifully with shot after shot leaving me overwhelmed. The score helps guide the scenes with perfection. Finally Daniel Day Lewis gives one the finest performances in cinematic history.

1. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    There Will Be Blood is ferocious, and it will be championed and attacked with an equal ferocity. When the dust settles, we may look back on it as some kind of obsessed classic.
  2. Reviewed by: Glenn Kenny
    There Will Be Blood is, in fact, not a historical saga; rather, it's an absurdist, blackly comic horror film with a very idiosyncratic satanic figure at its core.
  3. Reviewed by: John DeFore
    Daniel Day-Lewis stuns in Paul Thomas Anderson's saga of a soul-dead oil man.