7.8

1. Nov 12, 2012
    There Will Be Blood is one of the greatest movies on my list because thanks to Paul Thomas Anderson, the movie is violent, brutal, and I think if Lincoln could get Oscar buzz, then call in Daniel-Day-Lewis. He's a gifted acclaimed actor and I think he delivers a calm, attitudinal, no-nonsense character in real life. Great film, should be in the AFI lists for the best movies of all time.
  2. Apr 11, 2013
    The film answers the question of how far greed can drive a man to succeed, and how far the money and in this case, oil, truly dictates human behaviour. There Will Be Blood tells the ultimate disaster of one man's mission to be the best at what he does, and discard anything that gets in his way.
    Daniel Day-Lewis puts in one of the greatest and most memorable performances of any actor or actress in the last few decades, his wispy and dominating voice truly capture the ruthless and maniacal means boiling beneath the surface, he is the 'oilman' Daniel Plainview, and he gets what he wants.
    The film opens with very little dialogue, we watch Plainview, alone and down a well, digging for oil, his perseverance and can-do attitude are apparent as he breaks his leg in a fall, but manages to get out of the well and start over again.
    Plainview and his son, HW, coax towns into letting them dig up their land in the search for oil, and when he is approached into a town with the potential of riches beyond measure, he is met with the bizarre and erratic Eli Sunday (Paul Dano), a preacher who ends up being at egotistical loggerheads with Plainview about his faith and his intentions with the town.
    After a tragic accident, Plainviews behaviour drastically changes and ulterior motive soon come to light, wanting to have so much money that he would no longer have to know people. The addition of his half-brother perhaps shows a more humanly side to him, but he seems determined and forthright to get what he wants, eventually falling into obsessive and alcohol-fuelled madness.
    An epic tale which is never without its drama, There Will Be Blood never fails to impress in its acting, writing and visual landscapes of beauty, filming in the same place as No Country for Old Men, the similarities in film style.
    But of course it is the thrilling characters that truly make this film what it is, Plainview has flashes of Citizen Kane in his determination for everything, but ultimately loneliness at what he has become.
    The film has styles of long scenes and plenty of dialogue, but what truly needs to be seen is the characters who bring these scenes to life, the ambition of Paul Thomas Anderson could indeed have been a hit or miss but what he has created is something unique.
    The often debated ending has been the subject of many talks, particularly peoples distaste for it, but as the film goes on its difficult to imagine another finish, other than the madness within.
    A truly remarkable film that never ceases to amaze in its character development, expert writing and ambitious reach that could very well be the best film in the last fifteen years. Taking it from its remarkable perch could indeed be a difficult thing.
  3. Jun 1, 2012
    There isn't much more I can say to add to the heap of praise that this move received, so let me just say that everyone who has called this one of the best movies ever made is telling the truth. Also, I want to just mention the amazing Score by Johnny Greenwood. It's hauntingly beautiful and it sets the mood perfectly. It's a shame it was ruled ineligible for an Academy Award.
  4. Feb 3, 2012
    Best movie of the 2000 decade. This sentence will fill the remaining character requirement which is 150 characters long...................................................
  5. Sep 18, 2013
    A morality tale where evil is self aware from the opening credits to the bloody, seething finish. This is beyond a tone poem, something of an Old Testament caliber parable, where there's no hope, no light, just the severe presence and weight of a thick, ethically drained darkness. To call it one of the most important motion pictures ever made would be no understatement.
  6. Sep 17, 2012
    There Will Be Blood is a captivating film, detailing the extents of a man's ambition and, in turn, his eventual turn to madness. Paul Thomas Anderson has created a sprawling masterpiece, an epic of the most extraordinary genre, and one rich in emotion despite the fact that the lead character (acted superbly by veteran, Daniel Day-Lewis) lacks a shred of compassion. The ending is brutal,There Will Be Blood is a captivating film, detailing the extents of a man's ambition and, in turn, his eventual turn to madness. Paul Thomas Anderson has created a sprawling masterpiece, an epic of the most extraordinary genre, and one rich in emotion despite the fact that the lead character (acted superbly by veteran, Daniel Day-Lewis) lacks a shred of compassion. The ending is brutal, confronting and gut-wrenching in scope; it leaves the viewer lost in thought (and possibly weeping) as to how capitalism managed to have such an effect on Daniel Plainview. We are left in detest of the oil-man, but undoubtedly in awe of Paul Thomas Anderson's direction, for masterpieces are rare in any age. Expand
  7. Nov 15, 2012
    This is a big, bold film from huge talent Paul Thomas Anderson, but it
  8. Nov 28, 2012
    Daniel Day-Lewis's unbelievable performance nurtures this very intelligently written film into a deeply disquieting, perpetual steamroller of vengeance and malice.
  9. May 26, 2013
    Daniel Day Lewis was absolutely fantastic; one of the best performances by any actor I've ever seen. He was so real and convincing, every moment was just perfect. A good performance by Paul Dano as well, especially in the church scenes and the final scene. I was hesitant to watch this movie because I've heard so many bad things about it, that it's too long, boring, and that it's pointless.Daniel Day Lewis was absolutely fantastic; one of the best performances by any actor I've ever seen. He was so real and convincing, every moment was just perfect. A good performance by Paul Dano as well, especially in the church scenes and the final scene. I was hesitant to watch this movie because I've heard so many bad things about it, that it's too long, boring, and that it's pointless. I just have one thing to say, and that is this is a masterpiece. By far the best movie of 2007, and one of the best of our time. My favorite scene in the entire film is the last scene, it really puts it all into perspective. This is a brilliant movie, you absolutely must NOT miss it. Expand
  10. Jun 21, 2013
    A masterpiece plain and simple. Paul Thomas Anderson directs this film beautifully with shot after shot leaving me overwhelmed. The score helps guide the scenes with perfection. Finally Daniel Day Lewis gives one the finest performances in cinematic history.
  11. Apr 27, 2013
    By far the best performance by Daniel Day Lewis to-date and Paul Thomas Anderson's best film by far. A film that works on every level; great acting, great storytelling, great cinematography, great score. A must see film for any aspiring film buffs and a essential watch for fans of great films.
  12. Jun 30, 2013
    Disciplined, polished, beautiful, without any surplus.
    As many reviews with low score said it, it is not fast-paced but it is not meant to be and if the only thing you seek in movies is blood-pumping adrenaline shot actions, well..
  13. Mar 1, 2014
    The best part about There Will Be Blood is the fact that Day-Lewis can give his character depth in the first ten minutes without saying a word. This shows what an actor he is. The rest of the movie falls in place from there, and is one hell of an experience.
  14. Jun 15, 2014
    Many critics called it "a masterpiece" and "One of the best film of decade", then I really agree about that. You can't easily find many film like "There Will Be Blood", very rare, an epic drama film. With a story about family, oil, religion and greed, this film easily become one of the richest film ever made. Daniel Day-Lewis' performance is outstanding.
  15. Feb 13, 2014
    A great piece of art about dehumanising effects of power and money. When greed possesses people, this sin is even worse when completed with hate. A drama of a man that is full of evil purposes, he cannot love or empathise with anybody, He is feeling surrounded only by enemies, only by competitors. Anderson proves once more that this world we are living in is a jungle, where the main goalA great piece of art about dehumanising effects of power and money. When greed possesses people, this sin is even worse when completed with hate. A drama of a man that is full of evil purposes, he cannot love or empathise with anybody, He is feeling surrounded only by enemies, only by competitors. Anderson proves once more that this world we are living in is a jungle, where the main goal is to succeed no matter what are the consequences. The last scene summarizes the grotesque, making Daniel Plainview one of the best icons of the fallen man. Expand
  16. Jan 25, 2014
    Daniel Day-Lewis did an excellent job as his role of Daniel Plainview. This to me is a high quality film that deserves a lot more credibility. I recommend everyone should see this movie once, because this has to be one of the best movies ever made. Through my short years, I have learned to appreciate a great movie when i see one, and this movie tops them all!
  17. May 2, 2015
    This film is the Citizen Kane of the 2000s. An epic story of a man consumed by greed and desire for power, There Will Be Blood is artistic and magnificent in every aspect of its storytelling and presentation.
  18. May 1, 2014
    Now to my mind, it's an abomination to consider that any man, woman or child in this magnificent country of ours should have to look upon (this particular) loaf of bread as (anything but) a luxury

I have drank this milkshake and I approve.
  19. Sep 19, 2014
    Yes ...absolutely one of the best films of that year. Superb acting, taut script and all round class. Job well done! DDL and PTA have crafted an epic tale of greed and ambition
  20. May 13, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Daniel Day Lewis launches into a highscore grade A+ performance as an ambitious oil man whose life crumbles with insanity and madness by his inner obsession with greed, as he tries to snag a reservoir of oil from a religious zealot family and their sanctimonious pastor of a son,

a film with a chilling performance by the powerful critically acclaimed actor who knows how to keep his acting list clean and a well done philosophical tale from Paul Thomas Anderson, a unforgettable oscar-winning classic
  21. JayM.
    Apr 8, 2008
    It may very well be the best film of 2007; certainly time will be kind to this eccentric, almost Wellesian masterpiece from Paul Thomas Anderson. Can he follow it up with anything like an Ambersons for a one-two puch to achieve true greatness?
  22. DerickK
    Mar 20, 2010
    I believe I am the only person on earth who watches this movie for fun. I've seen it 8 times.
  23. TerryR.
    Feb 10, 2008
    Don't worry, Jamie L., the video game will come out soon and you'll get to blow things up and buy a lot of "bling" with the oil money: your wasted three hours will all be worth it then! Seriously, though, "boring"?! Did you actually watch the movie? Did you watch D.D.L.'s decent into paranoid madness? This movie is definitely one of the years best (2007), if not one of the Don't worry, Jamie L., the video game will come out soon and you'll get to blow things up and buy a lot of "bling" with the oil money: your wasted three hours will all be worth it then! Seriously, though, "boring"?! Did you actually watch the movie? Did you watch D.D.L.'s decent into paranoid madness? This movie is definitely one of the years best (2007), if not one of the decades, and D.D.L., again, gives a masterful spin on a man trying to make people love and respect him while simultaneously pushing everyone away. Two scenes alone make this movie amazing - the scene where he runs with H.W. in his arms and when his "son" returns from "school" and they're in the restaurant together. Both show the conflict of emotions in D.D.L.'s character and are mesmerizing to watch. The score was perfect to reflect what was going on underneath Daniel Plainview's (PlainVIEW, John S.) steely exterior and to give the dry, arid landscape a sort of creepy quality, and the supporting cast was perfect (can you "overact" if your character is an evangelist?). Thank you, Paul Thomas Anderson for not filling in all the blanks. What is the motivation behind the Plainview character? What's the significance of family when commerce gets in the way? At what point does your environment take over in determining the type of person you are? Expand
  24. ChipG.
    Feb 5, 2008
    Great acting by Daniel Day Lewis, beautiful cinematography, fascination editing, mesmerizing soundtrack, solid writing, original directing style all combine to make this a great movie. I must disagree with the criticism that there is not sufficient character development. Dramatic movies are interesting only if it is not a foregone conclusion that the characters will conquer there demons Great acting by Daniel Day Lewis, beautiful cinematography, fascination editing, mesmerizing soundtrack, solid writing, original directing style all combine to make this a great movie. I must disagree with the criticism that there is not sufficient character development. Dramatic movies are interesting only if it is not a foregone conclusion that the characters will conquer there demons in the end; otherwise one is confined to the sub-genre of the story of the epic hero. I will admit feeling some sympathy for the main character, Daniel Plainview (though not of course condoning his violence). In the beginning you see that he is a solitary prospector; a path often pursued by those who know that the baseness of the human condition overly inflames their passions. I hold back on a rating of 10, because I thought the conclusion between Daniel and his son H.W. was somewhat rushed, compared to the pacing of the rest of the movie. If Anderson felt (or was told) the movie was too long, then tough choices should have been made to cut or shorten other scenes to give that relationship the denouement it deserved. This is a DVD I will purchase for my personal collection. Expand
  25. Chris
    Mar 2, 2008
    I am disappointed to see the user score of this movie to be a 7.5 I probably would have agreed witht hat score while I was watching the film. I feel that while I was watching the film, I did not appreciate. But now that it is over, and I am not watching it anymore. I appreciate it a lot more. It was an amazing film. People who didn't like it are either too old fashioned forI am disappointed to see the user score of this movie to be a 7.5 I probably would have agreed witht hat score while I was watching the film. I feel that while I was watching the film, I did not appreciate. But now that it is over, and I am not watching it anymore. I appreciate it a lot more. It was an amazing film. People who didn't like it are either too old fashioned for a movie like this or have the attention span of a 7 year old. For those of us that have no problem keeping our attention focused on this masterpiece through out its entirety (which is long compared to most movies) appreciate it. I have heard people claiming the last scene to be funny and not needed. To me, the ending scene was amazing. It was kind of funny, but only because if you were to have any other reaction to it, you might slip into a deep depression of which you might never come out of. Now, I am being slightly over the top / sarcastic but seriously. If you didnt laugh through out the entire movie, then you must not have any emotion left in you. I felt I needed to laugh at some parts to keep myself from feeling terrible. Like i said before, the ending was amazing. The now famous milkshake speech and the Title / Ending Scene correlation are something that nobody should miss out on. One of the best movies I have ever seen and as you are watching it, even if you get bored or ancy, stick it out to the end and you will thank yourself. It is truly an amazing movie. one last thought: Daniel Day Lewis is an amazing actor...... Expand
  26. RichardB.
    Apr 8, 2008
    This movie was masterfully shot and acted, particularly by Day-Lewis and the actor who played H.W. For all those who (seem) to hate this movie because it's unpleasant, I beg you to consider how much that should affect your rating. You do not need to like a movie to rate it highly, and this is a tremendous movie. All those who think it's boring...well, what to say? You're This movie was masterfully shot and acted, particularly by Day-Lewis and the actor who played H.W. For all those who (seem) to hate this movie because it's unpleasant, I beg you to consider how much that should affect your rating. You do not need to like a movie to rate it highly, and this is a tremendous movie. All those who think it's boring...well, what to say? You're wrong. It's quite simple. Expand
  27. ChrisM.
    Jun 8, 2008
    Amazing movie, script, acting. Shocking, tense, gripping..I could NOT stop watching this film.
  28. TPSK_Dual
    Dec 3, 2009
    On verge of souding hyperbolic, I regard "There will be blood" as unheralded modern masterpiece in tradition of John Huston and John Ford. Done in vein of a character study in proportions of Welles "Citizen Kane". DDL's performance merits engagement on its own, he functions as a Vehicle for an extremely ambitious film with an aggressively driven protagonist, Intense to a great On verge of souding hyperbolic, I regard "There will be blood" as unheralded modern masterpiece in tradition of John Huston and John Ford. Done in vein of a character study in proportions of Welles "Citizen Kane". DDL's performance merits engagement on its own, he functions as a Vehicle for an extremely ambitious film with an aggressively driven protagonist, Intense to a great degree, and yet with nuance no less important. The film is centered on the dawn of 20th century, with themes resonating to present-day. Something that works on different levels. Starting with personal & cultural decadency, the facade, and overblown- uprightness of the nation through two important factions of it. A bold framework, and a denouement that answers and questions in equal measures. Qualities akin to "Apocalypse now" in that respect. "There will be blood" carries a polemical subtext on Oil and Religion, Capitalism and Evangelism - the fraudulence of it all. In a Dickensian quality (not narrative or thematic methods), presents failed human beings. With that, the ability to "attack but not necessarily antagonize" is achieved. At least to yours truly, it is less problematic. The narrative is NOT a mere carrier for such reflections. However, by canons of film criticism, it is essential the social and political persuasions of the creation had to be dissected. The very absence of such a statement is in itself a political viewpoint. The filmmaker cannot hide. One couldn't make a film on carpentry without churning woods. It's a simple story, Oil prospector in Daniel Plainview, and a young priest, Eli, are two-fold manifestation of essentially the same. Daniel Plainview is flamed by burning desire to "hunt" for gold, by fermentation of his blood & sweat. As a characteristic baron/salesman, connives people for cheap off their land to drill oil. Eli is of ignoble ilk, connives people with false prophecies and superstition. they are both failed human beings. A film theorist once said films are moving pictures with accompanying sound. The story and themes are excuses to entice & indulge the audience. There will be blood provides enough to relish the experience. The Oil drilling has never been captured cinematically and as thrillingly as in show here. This being the primal period of drilling, the film stays true to some of the medieval methods, with stew-pans and sauce-pots. An unreliable Pumpjack made with manual shafts. There will Be casualties, but the drive of the protagonist remains unmatched for treasure. In that, it is no different to "Treasure of Sierra Madre" and many great Hollywood epics from 30-40s. There is one major set-piece where the fire gulfs from ground. Visual metaphors are aplenty in this film. Yet, such cinematic devices and symbolism are not aberrations to the narrative. A final word on DDL's performance to end this writeup. His rendition is probably the best of modern era. When we see him as aging Plainview and transformation to an Ogre, we are convinced he had gone through all the dangers and asperities of hands-on Oil drilling and failed human connection. His rough edged surface is backed with other subtleties. His reaction, introspections, and secretive quirks in private, especially to his son & faux-brother, are utter genius. This film also makes use of father-son thematics like other PTA films. Such nuance in acting. Expand
  29. aarons
    Mar 30, 2009
    I could give this a ten, but I'd have to watch it again to decide. The slow pace may turn some away, but I found that, in the end, it turned out to be a very good movie. One question, though. WHAT'S WITH THE AMERICAN RATING? How can this movie possibly be rated R?
  30. KidA
    Mar 14, 2010
    @Robert M - "the movie failed to make me care about an ambitious, cold hearted oil tycoon" - that's the point, you moron. The film clearly isn't trying to make you care about him - he's a totally irredeemable character, and a great one at that. Also, lay off the exclamation marks. A true modern great.
  31. AaronG
    Mar 4, 2010
    If you enjoy slow films that tell a story, get academy awards, and start internet memes (a la "I drink your milkshake"), this is a must-see.
  32. NormD.
    Jan 1, 2008
    Probably the best film of 2007. (albeit another weak year---compare to 1974) Certainly the most successful in achieving its objectives thematically while enthralling and disturbing its audience. The only point holding this film from perfection is ironically its limited scope: in seeking to capture the essence of the Entreprenurial Spirit, its abundant flaws but inherent honesty, Anderson Probably the best film of 2007. (albeit another weak year---compare to 1974) Certainly the most successful in achieving its objectives thematically while enthralling and disturbing its audience. The only point holding this film from perfection is ironically its limited scope: in seeking to capture the essence of the Entreprenurial Spirit, its abundant flaws but inherent honesty, Anderson abandons a more far reaching exploration into the American psyche. That's okay, he has a career ahead to tackle everything. And with best director and best picture Oscars from this film, he should be granted a couple of opportunities. Here's hoping he casts DD Lewis in his next opuses and stays away from the John Reillys of the world. Expand
  33. roberti.
    Jan 5, 2008
    The most powerful portrait of evil I've ever seen, without any reasons why.
  34. GaborA.
    Jan 9, 2008
    A flawed masterpiece. So much so that further description of this film is challenging. It evokes similar feelings in me as Heart of Darkness or a good McCarthy novel where the story is not all that engrossing but the characters, themes, and the craft are so perfect that its still utterly captivating. I'm still convinced the ending was problematic for PT with numerous rewrites. It A flawed masterpiece. So much so that further description of this film is challenging. It evokes similar feelings in me as Heart of Darkness or a good McCarthy novel where the story is not all that engrossing but the characters, themes, and the craft are so perfect that its still utterly captivating. I'm still convinced the ending was problematic for PT with numerous rewrites. It draws the correct conclusion, terminates the characters in the right place, but could have been crafted more eloquently. This may not be the most entertaining movie of the year, but its the most artistically impressive. Expand
  35. DanS
    Feb 21, 2008
    Jesus not every movie has to have a message. I just saw this is an interesting character study from start to finish. If you spent 2 and a half hours in the theatre trying to find a message in this movie you would think it's a slow, tedious and pretentious film. This film is about people losing perspective. It's not about America, or the study of evil, because no one in this film Jesus not every movie has to have a message. I just saw this is an interesting character study from start to finish. If you spent 2 and a half hours in the theatre trying to find a message in this movie you would think it's a slow, tedious and pretentious film. This film is about people losing perspective. It's not about America, or the study of evil, because no one in this film is deliberately evil. They do what they think is best, either for their church or their business. But I agree with one review I read saying that this film is just too strange to be enjoyed by everyone. Thats not to say 'smart' people enjoyed it, i think it's just a difference in what people expect out of a movie. Expand
  36. Marc.D.
    Feb 25, 2008
    The performance by Day Lewis is enough to secure this film 8 points. The final one is for the pure artistry and deft directing applied to this pulse pounding film. It captivates in a way which few films in the history of cinema have. Brilliance.
  37. ThomasK.
    Feb 27, 2008
    Jonathan C., how can you not think about this movie "minutes later"? It has been a few days since I've seen it and I'm still haunted, still thinking about it. I really like No Country...as well. But, this was just something else. This movie is not so overt. It invites discussion, deconstruction. That being said, I ove this film and I love No Country... Great movies.
  38. Prospectors'Review
    Feb 28, 2008
    An outstanding film in all respects except technical authenticity. A wellhead with a reciprocating pump eventually blows under pressure. So why were they pumping when the story line implies they're prospecting? A steam locomotive releasing pulsing blasts of steam from its funnel when it is stationary. Why spend so little on technical consultancy when the film is otherwise a masterpiece?
  39. PaulM
    Mar 10, 2008
    I found the film's intensity enormous, its characters well-designed (they're supposed to be singular and in final review of one chord), its cinematography absolutely engrossing, and the soundtrack that some find annoying (which I can understand), I found to be appropriately maddening. Its a movie about dedication to the point of obsession, the folly of singular devotion, the I found the film's intensity enormous, its characters well-designed (they're supposed to be singular and in final review of one chord), its cinematography absolutely engrossing, and the soundtrack that some find annoying (which I can understand), I found to be appropriately maddening. Its a movie about dedication to the point of obsession, the folly of singular devotion, the power and destruction of taking without giving, and the aspects of greed, power and selfishness that are in us all - but that in the wrong circumstances/people/both become toxic. Plainview is a man who knows only how to beat, pick or pound the thing from which he needs some kind of satisfaction or end. And he does so until it explodes something that releases the dark humanity within him (anger, greed, paranoia, withdrawal, depression, psychosis). His maniacal mantra of "drainage" in the final scene is appropriate - not so much about the obvious metaphor (which, yes, may be clumsy) but about the concept (maybe, call it a meta-metaphor)underlying -- that there are always those willing to take, by force and by persuasion, not only theirs but yours, his, hers and everyone elses. Further, it illustrates how that process leaves one bordering on, and often falling into, an abyss of lonesome psychosis. Expand
  40. AshlyG.
    Mar 2, 2008
    Daniel Day-Lewis puts his heart into the movie - you can see the passion gleaming through his eyes as he acts. He deserved the Oscar win and the film deserved more than it received.
  41. JasonL.
    Apr 8, 2008
    Quite remarkable. The movie builds with a dark grinding tension until the final moment of release..... when I could not stop laughing. One of the funniest scenes ever that completely justifies the brilliant, yet slow character building displayed by the two main male protagonists.
  42. JoshC
    May 11, 2008
    This is truly a work of symphonic aspirations and masterful execution. Anderson's superb filmmaking is complemented throughout by Radiohead guitarist Jonny Greenwood's excellent score
  43. JasonJ
    May 4, 2008
    The cinematography and Day-Lewis' over-the-top performance are the highlights of the film. It takes a little bit of brain to appreciate There Will Be Blood; so, if you don't have some, you will find the move 'slow'. And as good as he usually is, Day-Lewis is off-key sometimes. The local enthusiast preacher (I forget his name and don't know the actor) needed a The cinematography and Day-Lewis' over-the-top performance are the highlights of the film. It takes a little bit of brain to appreciate There Will Be Blood; so, if you don't have some, you will find the move 'slow'. And as good as he usually is, Day-Lewis is off-key sometimes. The local enthusiast preacher (I forget his name and don't know the actor) needed a stronger player. He is rather weak-- so unctuous and effeminate that he doesn't truly make for a believable nemesis for Day-Lewis. And, yes, that's part of the point, but I still didn't buy it. The film hovers between gritty reality and miasmic fantasy, and it never really decides which it wants to be, which is part of its triumph-- and its failing. Expand
  44. VinceV
    Aug 8, 2008
    It seems as though many people posting negative comments here are overlooking the numerous qualities that makes this probably the best film of the year; these people are just venting their frustrations that they do not have the capacity to enjoy such a brilliant film. The film is gripping, with sublime acting from Daniel Day-Lewis & Paul Dano in particular, and a score from Johnny It seems as though many people posting negative comments here are overlooking the numerous qualities that makes this probably the best film of the year; these people are just venting their frustrations that they do not have the capacity to enjoy such a brilliant film. The film is gripping, with sublime acting from Daniel Day-Lewis & Paul Dano in particular, and a score from Johnny Greenwood that really adds to the tension and atmosphere. The cinematography, from Robert Elswit, alone makes it a must see. Expand
  45. AmyC
    Jan 3, 2009
    I give it a 9 because the acting deserves a 10 and the story an 8. A well-deserved Oscar for Daniel Day-Lewis. This is definitely a movie which makes one think. If you're looking for a shallow movie that provides 2 hours straight of non-stop action & entertainment, you're in the wrong theatre. The name 'There Will Be Blood' is merely a metaphor, representing D. I give it a 9 because the acting deserves a 10 and the story an 8. A well-deserved Oscar for Daniel Day-Lewis. This is definitely a movie which makes one think. If you're looking for a shallow movie that provides 2 hours straight of non-stop action & entertainment, you're in the wrong theatre. The name 'There Will Be Blood' is merely a metaphor, representing D. Plainview's sadistic & relentless pursuit of fame & fortune. The portrayal of this character -- achieved by both the acting & the storyline -- was so successful that I had to look up from websites whether Daniel Plainview was indeed a real character. Overall speaking, I would say that this highly-recommended movie is one which deserves all wins & awards, whereas 'No Country For Good Men' was way over-rated. Expand
  46. DanielP
    Jan 2, 2010
    people like, Wad M, find it bring because there childish, bitch. As for R N just because Day Lewis is in it doesnt mean its good. PT anderson is a very good director. and critics look for evry aspect. and whats more boring than oil and rocks....the animal known as your mother.
  47. NikkoC
    Oct 16, 2008
    Mark's post is barely good enough for one entry, let alone two identicals... please remove it (all?). Mine can take one's place :) Anyway... the movie is a moral study on greed etc, yes, but Eli is not a good character either. It has as much to say about the greed and the destructiveness (on the mind especially... as it narrows...) of religion as it does capitalism. The Mark's post is barely good enough for one entry, let alone two identicals... please remove it (all?). Mine can take one's place :) Anyway... the movie is a moral study on greed etc, yes, but Eli is not a good character either. It has as much to say about the greed and the destructiveness (on the mind especially... as it narrows...) of religion as it does capitalism. The soundtrack is great (sorry Britney was booked Mark)... the performance of Day-Lewis, especially in scenes like when he is revealed as crying in the light of the passing train etc, is not just very good, but the best acting performance (try for a second to picture anyone else pulling it off, or even being remotely convincing for that matter) of this century thus far (only Bardem's in NCFOM comes close). So good, that it outweighs the film's qualities in the end and thus it gets a 9/10. It's ballsiness, courage and intelligence is very heartwarming to someone used to dumbing-down to supposedly high-grade film-making which is largely underwhelming, so, thank you Mr Anderson. Most of all though, I wanted to comment ont he fact that this is clearly not as good, nor ironically is it as well-reviewed as, No Country For Old Men (winner of best picture in the same year and category as this higher rated - on metacritic - film)..... but it is 92 to NCFOM's 91. This is a total injustice, but has been directly brought about by ONE MAN - arrogant, self-obsessed, joyless, hypocritical, ascetic, space-wasting loser - Jonathan Rosenbaum.... he gave it 32. Sure Jon, it's not Bio-Dome you dick. So that even though this film gets lots of 70s and 60s and is poorly reviewed by several critics.... it is NCFOM's consistent 100s, 90s and a handful of 80s that gets bombed by a loser who needs to get laid and a politically-obsessed, self-appointed cock. Metacritic should drop the lowest two reviews to account for such unforgivable pretentiousness. They are not reviewing films, they are soapboxing, banish them. NCFOM doesn't have your pound of flesh Rosenbaum, so brush that chip off your shoulder buddy, or else FO..... amateur. Expand
  48. XTrapnel
    Jan 16, 2008
    The ending is not wholly satisfactory, but the middle section of the picture features some of the most bravura sequences -- scored to perfection -- you could ever hope to see. However, Joe K is right about some of the awful, purple prose the film has inspired. Mind you, have a look at this: "These people are so desperate to prove how "above" they are of the common movie goer." That hardlyThe ending is not wholly satisfactory, but the middle section of the picture features some of the most bravura sequences -- scored to perfection -- you could ever hope to see. However, Joe K is right about some of the awful, purple prose the film has inspired. Mind you, have a look at this: "These people are so desperate to prove how "above" they are of the common movie goer." That hardly counts as English, either. Expand
  49. JohnGuy
    Jan 7, 2008
    It gave me nightmares... I havent slept since the night I saw it... O.K, I just got back from seeing it. "I'm Finished"
  50. GaryM.
    Jan 9, 2008
    Are you an angry man? Are you envious? Do you get envious? I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people. There are times when I look at people and I see nothing worth liking. I've built my hatreds up over the years, little by little. I see the worst in people. I don't need to look past seeing them to get all I need. I want to earn enough money I Are you an angry man? Are you envious? Do you get envious? I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people. There are times when I look at people and I see nothing worth liking. I've built my hatreds up over the years, little by little. I see the worst in people. I don't need to look past seeing them to get all I need. I want to earn enough money I can get away from everyone. I can't keep doing this on my own... with these... people. Expand
  51. RB.
    Feb 10, 2008
    No sugar coating here. Simply a dark movie with a hell of a story. If you see movies on a regular basis, you have to see this one-even if you know you won't like it. The performance of Daniel Day-Lewis is one for the ages. Just as you think of George C. Scott when you think of WWll and General Patton, you will thing of Day-Lewis everytime you fill up your gas tank.
  52. ScottM.
    Feb 5, 2008
    I have to disagree with Mike N. I believe this movie deserves comparison with "Citizen Kane", though i believe this film is far more poetic and powerful than "..Kane". I see how some are disappointed, it truly is a one-of-a-kind film, albeit for better or worse. I personally believe for the better.
  53. CalebB.
    Mar 8, 2008
    I thought that this was a very well constructed film. Daniel Day-Lewis did a wonderful job of acting. The characters were engaging and the story just pulled me in that much more. All in all it was an overall good movie.
  54. MattG.
    Apr 23, 2008
    I thought this move was excellent. I have to say though it was for sure not what I expected it to be. I felt intrigue throughout the whole movie. Daniel Day-Lewis gave an incredible performance as always. The role was one of my favorite characters yet. Wow what a crazy guy.
  55. SharonH
    Apr 9, 2008
    Brilliant. A masterpiece. One of the most artful and elegant films I've seen. It's exploration of the human condition is magnificent, underscored by the most intriguing and innovative use of music in a film to come around in a long time.
  56. SO
    May 27, 2008
    Very good but could use just a little more action to keep the suspense audience interested longer.
  57. BenM.
    Jan 12, 2009
    Great that there are still directors out there who aren't either playing to the lowest common denominator or just hitting the same old emotional cues.
  58. russellj.
    Jan 21, 2009
    There will be blood divides opinion. Some people say it's painfully slow and has nothing to say. Others say it's a masterpiece which shows that ambition and wealth can be your own undoing if you are not rich in forming meaningful bonds with people around you. If it did have nothing to say then the Christian majority wouldn't have been so disapproving of the nihilist tone of There will be blood divides opinion. Some people say it's painfully slow and has nothing to say. Others say it's a masterpiece which shows that ambition and wealth can be your own undoing if you are not rich in forming meaningful bonds with people around you. If it did have nothing to say then the Christian majority wouldn't have been so disapproving of the nihilist tone of the movie and it's negative view of the church (and capitalism and pretty much everything else). The film is slow admittedly and as sudden jumps in the narrative which leads the audience to infer what has happened. Daniel Day Lewis is incredible and carries the movie. I love the sedate pace it reminds me when epic movies had faith in their audience and not to barrage them with over the top CGI explosions. The final scene in Plainviews mansion in the bowling alley will go down as one of the best and most random final scenes ever. Expand
  59. PaulK.
    Dec 30, 2007
    The pacing is sluggish at times, and I wanted more character/relationship development between Daniel and HW, but otherwise, this is a great film. Superb acting, great cinematography, and a compelling story. See it.
  60. CherylD.
    Jan 17, 2008
    Okay people!!! What's the matter here? I can't believe that people are dissing this film because they can't find any CONTENT in it. A fundamental idea in this film is the following: PEOPLE ARE IGNORING THEIR OWN CHILDREN in some vain pursuit for money, prestige and status. THEIR OWN CHILDREN people! It happens ALL the time. Divorce rates are higher than ever, the averageOkay people!!! What's the matter here? I can't believe that people are dissing this film because they can't find any CONTENT in it. A fundamental idea in this film is the following: PEOPLE ARE IGNORING THEIR OWN CHILDREN in some vain pursuit for money, prestige and status. THEIR OWN CHILDREN people! It happens ALL the time. Divorce rates are higher than ever, the average person is less happy than they would like to be (just take the time to ask around), but our society is more materialistic than it ever has been and that is due primarily (and no one can argue against this -) to BIG OIL. This film is a sincere attempt, and the only attempt I've yet to witness, to bring the big oil narrative to as many people as possible in the most uncompromising way. People who aren't 'getting' this film have their heads way up their behinds, and choose to ignore our present predicament as a corrupted, ignorant species that is primed for disaster. People should wake up, turn off the mind-numbing television and ride a bicycle to the film. See how good it feels. Then talk about this film or take a film course and start changing things from the inside out. STAND people! Expand
  61. ChadS.
    Jan 18, 2008
    In order to get financing for "Plan 9 from Outer Space", filmmaker Ed Wood agreed to be baptized by a Baptist church. It happened in a swimming pool as depicted in Tim Burton's 1994 biopic about a man who believed in cinema more than God. Daniel Plainview(Daniel Day-Lewis) is all about the almighty dollar, about building a pipeline to the ocean, so he gets baptized, gets slapped In order to get financing for "Plan 9 from Outer Space", filmmaker Ed Wood agreed to be baptized by a Baptist church. It happened in a swimming pool as depicted in Tim Burton's 1994 biopic about a man who believed in cinema more than God. Daniel Plainview(Daniel Day-Lewis) is all about the almighty dollar, about building a pipeline to the ocean, so he gets baptized, gets slapped around by Paul Sunday(Paul Dano) because spiritual enlightenment for this oil man comes from a crack in the dirt. Interestingly enough, the original title for "Plan 9..." was "Grave Diggers from Outer Space". Daniel is a sort of grave digger from inner space. When the oil man buries a man he just murdered, he throws dirt not only on the evidence, but on his secret desires as well. "There Will Be Blood" asks the viewer to determine whose higher calling is more righteous. Expand
  62. MaxH.
    Feb 11, 2008
    I can't express my relief that a film as stark and uncompromising as There WIll Be Blood has received so many academy accolades this season; Hollywood tends to favor movies that include elements of romance and redemption, qualities Anderson quite deliberately eschews in his fifth feature. John S. epitomizes how misguided some people's opinions are regarding this film. Plainview I can't express my relief that a film as stark and uncompromising as There WIll Be Blood has received so many academy accolades this season; Hollywood tends to favor movies that include elements of romance and redemption, qualities Anderson quite deliberately eschews in his fifth feature. John S. epitomizes how misguided some people's opinions are regarding this film. Plainview (not Plainfield, btw) DOESN'T show compassion at the outset; this is the story of one of the great salesmen in cinema history. He sees only betrayal in human relationships and treats others as a mere means to an end. The penultimate scene where his son, now a young man finally confronts him doesn't reveal any sort of "transformation" in Plainview but rather clarifies his earlier actions. I also don't understand the continued use of "boring" to describe this film; are audiences so accustomed to The Fast and the Furious and the Saw franchises that they can't shift down to a film that actually studies human beings? And YES, Michael Sragow, "any hint of romance, nobility, or fun" would soften the film! Anderson shows us a man who understands absolutely nothing of those qualities. Astoundingly good. Expand
  63. KR
    Feb 22, 2008
    A near masterpiece. Daniel Day Lewis's performance is riveting and unnerving and disturbing to watch - but well worth watching!
  64. DanM.
    Feb 28, 2008
    The intense focus of "There Will Be Blood" only makes Daniel Day-Lewis' performace even more astonishing. Day-Lewis' subtle, intimate intensity is mirrored and magnified by the surrounding cast.
  65. GerryW.
    Mar 17, 2008
    Overall, gripping movie for so much rich characterizations and varied visual movement. True to Texas character and ambiance, if not always flattering, from a West Texan who has been there. I recommend it highly. G.W.
  66. frederikdewilde
    Jul 14, 2008
    TWBB is a magnificent film with strokes of genius. The incredible performance of DDLewis and the tantalizing and unnerving soundtrack of Johnny Greenwood is just amazing. The strokes of genius in the movie can be found in all the choices made, frame by frame, word by word, step by step, silences and the characters eye to eye contacts. Goddard said that cinema is 24f of truth. TWBB is a TWBB is a magnificent film with strokes of genius. The incredible performance of DDLewis and the tantalizing and unnerving soundtrack of Johnny Greenwood is just amazing. The strokes of genius in the movie can be found in all the choices made, frame by frame, word by word, step by step, silences and the characters eye to eye contacts. Goddard said that cinema is 24f of truth. TWBB is a film that questions these 24f from the beginning to the end. I am surely going to see it again and again although i had think that the the film struggles to find closure, but what a great film! Expand
  67. GrantC.
    Aug 14, 2008
    Fantastic movie. I was worried about whether I liked it or not, but it enthralled me, and I actually saw past what some call a bad ending and saw a great moral lesson. Greed and selfihness lead to misery and despair in the end. The musical scores were fantastic, done by none other than the genius Jonny Greenwood of Radiohead (my favorite musician ever is Greenwood, favorite band is Fantastic movie. I was worried about whether I liked it or not, but it enthralled me, and I actually saw past what some call a bad ending and saw a great moral lesson. Greed and selfihness lead to misery and despair in the end. The musical scores were fantastic, done by none other than the genius Jonny Greenwood of Radiohead (my favorite musician ever is Greenwood, favorite band is Radiohead). People like Jeff B. obviously don't know what the intentins of the scores were. It wasn't supposed to be music, but more a backing to support the escalation of the film's suspense. Expand
  68. ThomA.
    Dec 26, 2007
    If you haven't seen the movie, don't rate it. What is wrong with you? This is a great film about some very disquieting aspects of the human condition. Ties with No country for my best of 07 pick.
  69. Mar 12, 2011
    The films of Paul Thomas Anderson seem to polarise folks - I'm one who loves his films but plenty of people don't. That said this film is quite a departure from his previous work - no large ensemble cast, no contemporary / modern setting, very little humour, relatively sparse dialogue. This has the same feeling of unease as 'Punch Drunk Love' largely due to Johnny Greenwood's (of RadioheadThe films of Paul Thomas Anderson seem to polarise folks - I'm one who loves his films but plenty of people don't. That said this film is quite a departure from his previous work - no large ensemble cast, no contemporary / modern setting, very little humour, relatively sparse dialogue. This has the same feeling of unease as 'Punch Drunk Love' largely due to Johnny Greenwood's (of Radiohead fame) brilliant / unconventional score (incidental music might be more accurate). Daniel Day-Lewis plays the protagonist Daniel Plainview very adeptly - a great psychological study into the unique individuals that prosper in times of explosive industrial growth.

A great and unique movie that will surely be recognized as a classic in years to come
  70. Nov 22, 2011
    Another example of why Daniel Day Lewis is the best actor alive today. He delivers a powerful performance in this film and he is perfect from start to finish. The entire film is rather interesting but it can be a bit dull in some parts and make it a little bit of a suffer to get through. However great performances by the cast and overall interest in the plot will keep you satisfied till the end.
  71. Oct 19, 2012
    after watching this movie, i became a fan of daniel day lewis... very dark and riveting movie. This should have been d oscar winning movie for me in that year..
  72. Jan 5, 2012
    First off, Daniel Day Lewis is untouchable (as always) and makes the film that much greater from his performance alone. There Will Be Blood gives us a cold hard look at the world of Oil Drilling and I loved it. It can be a little boring at times ,god knows the run time takes away from the film a bit, but the majority of the film is simply amazing and more then makes up for it.
  73. Jun 6, 2012
    I am probably applauding this film more than it deserves, but this is my type of movie. Paul T. Anderson's direction of the film is well done which should not be a surprise considering he has been called "one of American film's modern masters". The style of atmosphere Robert Elswit creates is perfect for the films setting. The script is very good. And the acting is more or so average.I am probably applauding this film more than it deserves, but this is my type of movie. Paul T. Anderson's direction of the film is well done which should not be a surprise considering he has been called "one of American film's modern masters". The style of atmosphere Robert Elswit creates is perfect for the films setting. The script is very good. And the acting is more or so average. Daniel D. Lewis does however, a job of portraying mineral prospector Daniel Plainview, still a bigger expectation from him is held after watching Gangs of New York. Watching Daniel's relationship with his boy, especially towards the end, really makes the film's audience care for the characters. Expand
  74. Feb 11, 2013
    Where to start, on the first viewing There Will Be Blood has comfortably become one of my favourite films of all time. From the dialogue-free 15 minute opening of Plainview mining alone, to the intense and violent conclusion, There Will Be Blood is unrelenting. You cannot take your eyes off Daniel Day-Lewis. He is quite simply fantastic as the fiery, vengeful and driven oilman and deservedWhere to start, on the first viewing There Will Be Blood has comfortably become one of my favourite films of all time. From the dialogue-free 15 minute opening of Plainview mining alone, to the intense and violent conclusion, There Will Be Blood is unrelenting. You cannot take your eyes off Daniel Day-Lewis. He is quite simply fantastic as the fiery, vengeful and driven oilman and deserved his Plainview becomes so dislikeable he is likeable, and I found myself routing for him, after all he is the film. The scenes between pastor Eli and Daniel, in particular the two where each humiliates the other, are worth the price of admission alone.

Maybe I'm biased, maybe Daniel Day-Lewis is one of my favourite actors, maybe because I work in the oil industry the film's subject appeals to me more, maybe great shots of drilling derricks and flaming oil gushers set against the American West just do it for me. Or maybe not, maybe Paul Thomas Anderson has just created a truly great film, full of memorable images and lines. Although central to the film, the themes of religion and capitalism are allowed to exist without heavy handed interference from Anderson. Ultimately, neither come out of the other side smelling of roses.

The reason this film only scores 9/10 is due to the score. Radiohead's Jonny Greenwood is responsible for the score which Tarantino complimented as "one of the great modern original soundtracks of the last decade" but it just didn't agree with me.
  75. Jul 2, 2012
    Certainly eveyone is entitled to their opinion, and some may be praising it just to jump on the bandwagon. But I think there is some ridiculous accusations concerning this film. It must have been doing something right since almost every single magazine, newspaper, or awards show hailed it as one of the best films of 2007 and one of the best films of the decade. Just because a film isn'tCertainly eveyone is entitled to their opinion, and some may be praising it just to jump on the bandwagon. But I think there is some ridiculous accusations concerning this film. It must have been doing something right since almost every single magazine, newspaper, or awards show hailed it as one of the best films of 2007 and one of the best films of the decade. Just because a film isn't exactly what you expected doesn't mean you have to **** all over it. The film has a moral and a point! But it seems everyone here needs the film to shove it right in their face so they don't have to think. Pathetic. And I forgot to rate it last time sorry. Expand
  76. Jan 25, 2014
    Just fantastic. This was my first film that I've seen directed by Paul Thomas Anderson and it did not disappoint in the least. The film is slow, but the acting from Daniel Day-Lewis, Paul Dano and cast, is just so engrossing that you cannot look away. The sets were brilliant and looked extremely realistic and fit in perfectly with the times they were depicting. Those who claim there is noJust fantastic. This was my first film that I've seen directed by Paul Thomas Anderson and it did not disappoint in the least. The film is slow, but the acting from Daniel Day-Lewis, Paul Dano and cast, is just so engrossing that you cannot look away. The sets were brilliant and looked extremely realistic and fit in perfectly with the times they were depicting. Those who claim there is no story are missing the bigger picture. Sure, there is no direct story, but what we are seeing is so much bigger than that. The interaction of every character and the constant "peeling back of the onion" that is Daniel Plainview and how evil he truly is make up for any story people may be searching for. In fact, I dare say that is the story; the revealing of how far a man will go to make money and how cutthroat you had to be to make it in the the time period depicted. Fantastic film. Expand
  77. Jan 3, 2014
    Já começa com Daniel Day-Lewis dando show de interpretação, claro até o fim do filme. Bom Paul Thomas já tem meu eterno respeito, essa película fenomenal.
  78. Jul 31, 2013
    The closing sequence delivers on the promise of the movie's title in a manner that keeps viewers discussing it long after the picture ends. “There Will Be Blood” is not a movie that disappears quietly. Paul Thomas Anderson's epic masterpiece "There will be Blood" is a steadfast reflection of the very essence of capitalism in America, where domination, not gain, is the ultimate objective,The closing sequence delivers on the promise of the movie's title in a manner that keeps viewers discussing it long after the picture ends. “There Will Be Blood” is not a movie that disappears quietly. Paul Thomas Anderson's epic masterpiece "There will be Blood" is a steadfast reflection of the very essence of capitalism in America, where domination, not gain, is the ultimate objective, and by any means necessary.

When we first meet Daniel Plainview (Daniel Day-Lewis) in 1898, he's mining for gold in a shaft he has dug into the ground of his Texas property. He finds what he's looking for, and perhaps more. Several years later, he has shifted his focus from gold to oil and he has been able to hire some hands. When an accident results in a death, Daniel finds himself with an infant orphan to care for. He raises the child, known as H.W., to be his own. By 1912, Daniel has become a well-known oilman, and he his looking to expand his empire. Accompanied by his partner, Fletcher (Ciarán Hinds), and his son (Dillon Freasier), he travels to California to follow a promising lead. What he finds there astonishes him. He seeks to buy large parcels of property, but he is impeded in his goal by the evangelist preacher Eli Sunday (Paul Dano), who wants Daniel to donate $10,000 to the local church before he sells. After the contract is signed, however, Daniel reneges on the deal. Shortly thereafter, once the first drill has become operational, there is an accident that results in an explosion that fuels a major oil fire and costs H.W. his hearing.

For most of the film, Daniel is a fascinating character. He's a mass of contradictions: charismatic, ugly, easygoing, ruthless, silver-tongued, plain-spoken, gentle, violent. He's smart and understands how to manipulate every situation to his advantage. He understands the business of oil and transforms himself from a poor miner into a wealthy businessman. Unfortunately, the more power Daniel amasses, the more corrupt and dissolute he becomes. Anderson chronicles Daniel's personality decay intelligently. He establishes the character as an admirable individual, but eventually his morality slowly erodes. The lives of these two, Daniel and Eli, are self-centered, cunning, and ruthless men who collide and lead us into the dark, unpaved path of madness of self-destruction driven by their unrelenting greed.

“There Will Be Blood” is a rich character study of a fascinating individual who is by turns likable, loathsome, admirable, monstrous, and driven. What Day-Lewis brings to the characterization is more exquisite and complex than anything even Anderson might have imagined at the outset. His Plainview is the most gripping film performance of the year, and as his religious foil, Dano also reveals unsuspected depths. Long, but so well crafted with terrific cinematography, and beautifully written/directed by Paul Thomas Anderson. Daniel Day-Lewis and Robert Elswit both earned Academy Awards.
  79. Dec 14, 2012
    This deep, brooding portrayal of a man motivated only by greed is a haunting movie that will both terrify and amaze you. I needn't say, Daniel Day-Lewis delivers one of the best performances of all time as Daniel Plainview.
  80. Jan 14, 2013
    This movie was a classic depiction of the great storytelling of Paul Tom Anderson with incredible acting by Day-Lewis. It was an independent joy ride through the life of an oil man. A visual and written masterpiece.
  81. May 27, 2013
    Posted on 5/19/13 09:05 AM
    Is there any doubt that Daniel day Lewis is the best actor to ever grace the screen, lets say you put his performance aside from this film you still have Paul Dano haunting performance Robert ewlisit cinematography and gritty direction to me Lewis performance was enough but wow did I get more
  82. Jul 2, 2013
    The performance by Daniel Day-Lewis is just fantastic, and the cinematography is beautiful to look at. Paul Thomas Anderson has made a brilliant movie which is beautiful shot, and the acting by Daniel Day-Lewis is amazing.
  83. Sep 13, 2013
    Masterful film. Contains an original and interesting narrative, a lot of unsubtle bashes at religion, an emotionally charged and holy-inspired (no pun intended) performance by Daniel Day-Lewis, and a dark ending that has spawned my personal favorite quote of any movie. Has instantly become a favorite.
  84. Sep 10, 2014
    I can see how many people find this movie boring but I found it really great, yes it does drag on at a lot of parts but it is just a fantastic movie. Daniel Day Lewis is amazing in this movie and deserved the best actor award at the Oscars. The visuals are also very good as the scenery in this movie is cool. Also some great cinematography kept me into this film the whole time. GoodI can see how many people find this movie boring but I found it really great, yes it does drag on at a lot of parts but it is just a fantastic movie. Daniel Day Lewis is amazing in this movie and deserved the best actor award at the Oscars. The visuals are also very good as the scenery in this movie is cool. Also some great cinematography kept me into this film the whole time. Good supporting acting and a very good all around movie. Expand
  85. Sep 20, 2014
    Do not watch this movie for the plot. Watch it for Daniel Day Lewis and his character. The character's interaction with the world is the plot, and it is amazing. True masterpiece.
  86. Dec 3, 2014
    A superb film. Day-Lewis commands the screen with superb facial expressions and well versed dialogue. Greenwood's soundtrack; particularly 'The Prospectors' is majestic. Thomas Andersen does a superb job exploiting the gorgeous scenery as well as the zoom in shot of the well, way beyond his years of experience. If I had to be hypercritical, I would suggest to things:
    -Despite the original
    -Despite the original beginning with no dialogue, the movie was a little slow
    -The lack of a strong female character (more to do with the story maybe?)
    Overall, an excellent movie, a classic if not quite a masterpiece.
  87. Jan 23, 2015
    Not heavy on special effects, but rather focuses on strong acting, atmosphere and stylish cinematography. Daniel Day-Lewis's performance is absolutely amazing, and the movie delivers scene after scene.

1. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    There Will Be Blood is ferocious, and it will be championed and attacked with an equal ferocity. When the dust settles, we may look back on it as some kind of obsessed classic.
  2. Reviewed by: Glenn Kenny
    There Will Be Blood is, in fact, not a historical saga; rather, it's an absurdist, blackly comic horror film with a very idiosyncratic satanic figure at its core.
  3. Reviewed by: John DeFore
    Daniel Day-Lewis stuns in Paul Thomas Anderson's saga of a soul-dead oil man.