7.9

1. RebeccaD.
    Jun 11, 2003
    I gave this movie a 10 simply for the fact that the issue,as it was played out with incredible insight, left me feeling raw and damaged,as if I,myself, had been raped.The characters were well assigned to the actors,who have the incredible ability to be hard enough to portray the anger,yet tender enough to expose the pain, that was still ever-present as adults,almost as vividly as the time I gave this movie a 10 simply for the fact that the issue,as it was played out with incredible insight, left me feeling raw and damaged,as if I,myself, had been raped.The characters were well assigned to the actors,who have the incredible ability to be hard enough to portray the anger,yet tender enough to expose the pain, that was still ever-present as adults,almost as vividly as the time of occurrance. It was also moving to see the role reversal of the two victims,with owen playing the sensitive part,and sherry having been hardened by the devastating experience.It left me feeling helpless in my sadness of seeing a young love lost so tragically,yet relief at the victims coming together in facing the night-mare for some sense of resolution. It is also an example of how we can alter peoples lives,however great or small,leaving them to deal with the issues that linger for their lifetime. This movie hopefully gives clear insight to any (even potential) rapist who might have the guts to watch it. Expand
  2. MikeJ.
    Jul 31, 2003
    I loved this film, I thought it was really really powerful.
  3. AlanG.
    May 23, 2004
    Moving to the core. There are numerous understated scenes that will resonate with most people--lost love, the agony of carrying a secret, the difficulties of keeping it together. I am almost never moved by a movie, but this one did it and I cannot get it out of my head. Cinematography was the weak link, but the story and acting are impossibly good.
  4. ThomasM,Jr.
    Feb 4, 2005
    A powerful, sad and sometimes poignant film, filled with superb performances. I especially admired the way the film never tried to sugarcoat its tale. We watch the characters grow during the coarse of the film, but we never reach a happy-ever-after destination. We see that these people, whose lives have forever been ravaged by trauma, can never hope to undo the nightmare, but that they A powerful, sad and sometimes poignant film, filled with superb performances. I especially admired the way the film never tried to sugarcoat its tale. We watch the characters grow during the coarse of the film, but we never reach a happy-ever-after destination. We see that these people, whose lives have forever been ravaged by trauma, can never hope to undo the nightmare, but that they CAN hope to reconcile their pasts, and free themselves from the bondage of hatred and self-loathing. A hard film to watch, but worth the effort. Expand
  5. LisaC.
    May 21, 2003
    The acting in this movie is phenominal, and the characters are very well cast. this movie is heartwrenching, but i really loved it.
tbd

No score yet - based on 3 Critics

This potent drama might be dismissed as therapy in the guise of filmmaking if it weren't so clear-eyed. At its core are three remarkable performances.
  2. So unsparingly honest in the way it treats human cruelty and resilience that it makes fashionably bleak films like "In the Company of Men" and even "Boys Don't Cry" seem unforgivably trite or exploitative.
  3. Reviewed by: Tim Sanger
    While its heart is in the right place and the cast gives powerful performances, Things Behind the Sun doesn't shed any new viewpoint or perspective on the subject matter.