Thirteen

1. Carol-Ann
    Apr 3, 2005
  2. Larsen
    Aug 30, 2003
    The most raw, and real movie i've ever seen, it shows what all other movies are afraid to show.
  3. SieraT.
    Feb 11, 2004
    I totally loved this movie it was da bom.... i mean i think this is the best movie i have ever watched in my 12 year old life.
  4. MovieCritic
    Jun 3, 2004
    I am 13 years old and this movie is one of the most realistic movies i have ever seen. Although many people deny it - this is what a lot of thirteen year olds do. Most parents are oblivious to the life of their 13 year old daughter - and the girls can trick their parents into believing they are "good girls". An excellent film - risking critisism for the truth.
  5. ShannaW.
    Jul 4, 2004
    I loved this movie it is very real what us teens go through i related alot to them!!!
  6. JordanF.
    Aug 30, 2003
    The most brutally honest film since Kids. Excellent acting from all three main actresses and haunting images--the sprinkler scene in particular. Thirteen is a masterpiece.
  7. ShawndaE.
    Apr 10, 2004
    This movie was very good because i am turning thirteen.
  8. TiaM.
    Jun 20, 2004
    I thought this movie waz tha best movie ive ever seen...im 13 so i can kinda relate 2 it...it kind of reminded me of myself....i think thirteen is tha best movie ever and i loved it so much.
  9. PrudenceK.
    Aug 10, 2005
    The film is simply amazing. Evan Rachel Wood leads a absolutely chilling performance as a 13-year-old girl. Closest thing to a masterpiece that Sundance will ever give us. Real, true, and scary. Brilliant.
  10. RachelJ.
    Feb 18, 2006
    It was absoloutely fantastic! I just got so influenced by Evie's magnetic behaviour I wanted to be her! I am 14 so i understand the pressure of being 13, i know what its like you have to wear the right clothes, the right makeup, not say stupid things, make sure you get all the boys occasionally smoke Cannabis, sniff Poppers, I used to be like Tracy, my previous school i did my best It was absoloutely fantastic! I just got so influenced by Evie's magnetic behaviour I wanted to be her! I am 14 so i understand the pressure of being 13, i know what its like you have to wear the right clothes, the right makeup, not say stupid things, make sure you get all the boys occasionally smoke Cannabis, sniff Poppers, I used to be like Tracy, my previous school i did my best to always look good but i never succeeded. Loved it! Expand
  11. BoubouC.
    Aug 20, 2003
    A great movie about real life issues facing teenagers today. Directors are afraid to make this kind of movie with this subject matter,but not Catherine Hardwicke. Catherine, along with the talented Nikki Reed, and Evan Rachel Wood are all role models. This is a must see movie! A Guarantee win for an Academy Award!
  12. D.S.
    Sep 13, 2003
    Amazing wonderful film. Evan Rachel Wood and Holly Hunter deliver Oscar Calibre performances along with the amazing screenplay. There is not too much wrong with the film at all, it's close to flawless!
  13. MikeM.
    Feb 12, 2004
    This movie was crazy when it started out I thought that it was going to be one of those coming of age chick flick movies but by the end I was almost in tears because it was very hard to watch but at least it didnt lie to you it was a real movie with real charachters. These Characters were very real you almost felt like you know them.
  14. KennyB.
    Jun 20, 2004
    Films such as thirteen - that dare to consider universal human traits - should not be overlooked or knocked because of camera work. One should watch and listen to the words and life of many whose voices are not heard.
  15. JulieL.
    Jul 9, 2004
    To those of you that said this movie is too unreailistic... Open your eyes. When I was 11 and 12 these things were happening to the majority of the people in my grade/ Age range. When I was 13 there were 5 pregnant girls in school that year. They were drug deals in school and most of the other things they showed in this movie. I thought it was very realistic and very true.
  16. LisaA.
    Nov 20, 2003
    When I went to see this movie with my friend, Nina, I thought i was going to hate it. It turned out however to be one of my favorite movies.
  17. MorganM.
    Aug 25, 2003
    This film is the first honest portrayal of pre teen and adolecent life for girls that I've seen. The performance by Wood is remarkable and oscar worthy.
  18. DanaG
    Nov 16, 2004
    I loved this movie so much! me and my friend can relate to this movie so much it tells our whole life story its quite sad though. my friend and i are just like tracy and evie we pretty much met like they did and we do eveyrthing they did it kinda surprised me when we both watched this together. im so glad they made a movie like this. it explains alot of what some people go through and how I loved this movie so much! me and my friend can relate to this movie so much it tells our whole life story its quite sad though. my friend and i are just like tracy and evie we pretty much met like they did and we do eveyrthing they did it kinda surprised me when we both watched this together. im so glad they made a movie like this. it explains alot of what some people go through and how much pain they can do to them selves but its a great movie for teens to watch. Expand
  19. Lindsay
    Dec 21, 2004
    This movie was amazing , come on people , that person above who gave it a zero what were you thinking?! OK, this is sooo much better than several movies. I thought their presentation of how teenagers deal is good. And, you know what else I know people who go through all those problems at the same time. It might seem a little too much "chaos" but it's life!
  20. JessicaM.
    Jun 21, 2004
    I loved it.
  21. EmilyN.
    Sep 18, 2005
    I am a 13 year old girl going to a junior high somewhat like the one portrayed in this movie, and when I saw it I was blown away. I've never chosen to do most of the things thses girls do simply because I know what it can do to my life. I loved the film, and it inspired me to keep trying for what I know is right.
  22. allies
    Dec 14, 2004
    I have this movie and I watch like omg everyday. It is the best movie ever and it rellates to a lot of people through changing and difficulties in thier families and it is a true story to many families and a lot of people go trhou it. I think it kinday shows people like Tracy that your not the only one out there that is like that and it is ok to get help.
  23. Jan 1, 2013
    If you really wanna know what life is like as a teenage these days then you have to watch this movie. They captured the everyday teenage struggles perfectly. I loved it.
  24. Jun 16, 2013
    Well it is a true movie, cause I know people in my life who are the same, but hiding it, no matter what age, corrupted kids do exist, and one could make an influence on another. But as a movie (Based on Nikki Reed's real life) it is way to amazing and detailed, plus the pacing is one of a kind it felt like three hours long, the story is perfect, the acting is perfect, nothing is missing,Well it is a true movie, cause I know people in my life who are the same, but hiding it, no matter what age, corrupted kids do exist, and one could make an influence on another. But as a movie (Based on Nikki Reed's real life) it is way to amazing and detailed, plus the pacing is one of a kind it felt like three hours long, the story is perfect, the acting is perfect, nothing is missing, overall it is amazing but it is important. Expand
  25. Jun 30, 2013
    Thirteen is absorbing and beautifully disturbing, it is fascinating and scary because it is so real and fresh, it has the first rate direction, and it is an uproarious experience that you will never forget for a long time. Thirteen is easily one of my favorite movies.
  26. Oct 6, 2014
    Evan Rachel Wood pulls here one of the best performances of the year, backed up by a nearly as stellar performance by Holly Hunter, not to forget Nikki Reed i what can be her best performance ever.
  27. M.K.
    Jan 10, 2004
    Actually Dan F., the movie's based on Nikki Reed's actual life when she was thirteen, and she co-wrote the script at 14. Plus, I just recently got out of middle school and you'd be surprised what goes on in the 6th grade. a friend of mine met a college guy on a chat room and was forced to perform oral sex. sh.t happens, no matter the age.
  28. HazyDavy
    May 16, 2004
    Excellent movie. It's definitely up there among the "troubled-teenagers" ones. You may not like the movie, but you can definitely not say it's unrealistic. As a teacher I can tell you that there's nothing new in the movie, but it's very well put on screen! Happens with someone every year.
  29. KatelynP.
    Nov 9, 2004
    This was an excellent movie! I'm from Australia, and I'll admit that life down here isn't quite like that of the movie, but most of you living in LA seem to think it's pretty realistic, so I'll go with that. I thought the characters were more believable than some of the characters that get thrown together for a movie. I would just like to comment on calling all This was an excellent movie! I'm from Australia, and I'll admit that life down here isn't quite like that of the movie, but most of you living in LA seem to think it's pretty realistic, so I'll go with that. I thought the characters were more believable than some of the characters that get thrown together for a movie. I would just like to comment on calling all the people who didn't like the movie nerds. Just... don't. I go to a 'nerd school' because you have to sit an exam and be in the top 2% of my state to get in and you know what? Nerds aren't as bad as you think they are. Expand
  30. MoeS.
    Feb 19, 2004
    A truly stunning movie. But being a thirteen year old, I can say it is a slightly unrealistic movie. A more fitting title would have been Fifteen.
  31. CammyT.
    Aug 6, 2004
    I woulod have given this a 10 but there were some parts that were annoying, slow, and nerveracking. i cannot begin how much i can relate to that movie. those of you who think it's unrealistic, it's probably just the area. things are pretty messed up in the la area and the rapid personality change is REAL. me along many other friends have gone thru it. some of us regretted it andI woulod have given this a 10 but there were some parts that were annoying, slow, and nerveracking. i cannot begin how much i can relate to that movie. those of you who think it's unrealistic, it's probably just the area. things are pretty messed up in the la area and the rapid personality change is REAL. me along many other friends have gone thru it. some of us regretted it and found ourselves again, and others loved it and are still fucxing themselves up more than ever. andd there are parents like that who are bound to have their balls ripped out and have themselves beheaded. i recommend this movie to everyone over 12 and under 21. it scared the crap out of my aunt. Expand
  32. robertm.
    May 2, 2005
    A great film with a mixture of ups and down. Its like a very good rollercoaster.
  33. EinarJ.
    May 4, 2008
    Amazing acting. Am i the only one who f*cking loves this soundtrack ?!? Great acting, bit overblown situation, but this has happened before, no doubt. Liked it in general, loved the acting and soundtrack.
  34. DavidG.
    Sep 22, 2003
    A powerful film. An exaggerated (I think) glimpse into the painful possibilities of young teenage life. The camera work is very interesting, but it's the acting that makes the movie so good - Evan Rachel Wood is the best teen actress I've seen in years, and Nikki Reed is very impressive for a complete newcomer with no professional training to her credit.
  35. JessicaB
    Jan 11, 2005
    I think that the movie is really good. it deals with the presure that almost all teenage girls go though. i know at least one person who goes through everythign that the movie points out. its really an eye opener. the only thing i didnt like was the age they used. i think that the problems these girls encounted should be more of a highschool ago rather than 7th grade-11th grade would be a I think that the movie is really good. it deals with the presure that almost all teenage girls go though. i know at least one person who goes through everythign that the movie points out. its really an eye opener. the only thing i didnt like was the age they used. i think that the problems these girls encounted should be more of a highschool ago rather than 7th grade-11th grade would be a little more realistic. Expand
  36. LineaB
    Jun 4, 2005
    When I saw it, I was blown away. It's amazing how much some of the things reminded me of myself in that age. It's WIIILD and I absolutely loved it!
  37. VictorB.
    Feb 28, 2004
    An interesting little movie. Fiercely realistic and honest. This is just what I see on the streets happening to teens. Although I do agree with Moe. S about the age of the girls, seemed more like Fifteen or Sixteen.
  38. DeborahW.
    May 12, 2005
    I was taken away with this movie. Besides the fact that it gives a real portrayl of how life is for someone beginning middle school and trying to fit it, it kept me interested. I mean, life isn't in every way shape and form exactly like the movie when your 13 and I'm sure not ever boy or girl can relate to it completely, but majority of people of all ages, can relate to it in I was taken away with this movie. Besides the fact that it gives a real portrayl of how life is for someone beginning middle school and trying to fit it, it kept me interested. I mean, life isn't in every way shape and form exactly like the movie when your 13 and I'm sure not ever boy or girl can relate to it completely, but majority of people of all ages, can relate to it in some way or another. From an adult dealing with an uruly adolescent child, or a teenager gong through the same thing, or a brother or sister having a sibling in those shoes. I gave this movie 2 thumbs up and a high recomendation to all my friends. I think this movie was a lot more real then all the other movies telling us that we should have care free worries when we are 13 because life isn't like that for everyone. Once again two thumbs UP! Expand
  39. JeremyF
    May 16, 2007
    Superb acting. Evan Rachel Wood is amazing. Holly Hunter is remarkable. When I first saw it I doubted the storyline, because it IS unbelievable what this thirteen year old does and how quickly she changes. Then I looked at the youth in my town and surrounding towns. Times are changing. Kids are getting high, smoking, drinking, and some having sex / getting pregnant. It's becoming Superb acting. Evan Rachel Wood is amazing. Holly Hunter is remarkable. When I first saw it I doubted the storyline, because it IS unbelievable what this thirteen year old does and how quickly she changes. Then I looked at the youth in my town and surrounding towns. Times are changing. Kids are getting high, smoking, drinking, and some having sex / getting pregnant. It's becoming more and more common. Cutting is extremely common. Even though these girls are probably a hugely exaggerated version of this, it is an exaggeration of the truth. Too bad there's so much profanity, drug use, sexual content, and a scene of nudity. I am not against this, but schools are (OBVIOUSLY.) But, this is an important film for youth to see, though it may not change their ways, it can effect them, even in a small way. Expand
  40. Oct 10, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An absolutely amazing movie! Absolutely fantastic acting, writing and directing. It blewme away the first time I watched it. And it is sooooo realistic also. Very true to life, at any age. The problems and feelings being dealt with are felt by most teenagers at one time or another, and are dealt with in a very caring and sympathetic manner. Excellent. Expand
  41. Feb 17, 2015
    As one of those movies that prove a point in the most vehement matter, 'Thirteen' is certainly a movie worth admiring. Although it loses in aesthetics because of it's harsh realism, it is a wonderful movie about life, about growing up and about pressure piling up from each side. Similar to Linklater's 'Boyhood', 'Thirteen' utilizes a very similar method in it's approach to the plot and theAs one of those movies that prove a point in the most vehement matter, 'Thirteen' is certainly a movie worth admiring. Although it loses in aesthetics because of it's harsh realism, it is a wonderful movie about life, about growing up and about pressure piling up from each side. Similar to Linklater's 'Boyhood', 'Thirteen' utilizes a very similar method in it's approach to the plot and the characters. It gives us an insight into a chaotic environment, a specific state of mind and shows us the struggle, both internal and external, of a young girl just trying to find herself in the world she's been put into. The struggle is difficult, disturbingly realistic and it certainly demands a very strong emotional investment into watching the movie. But it also has a point, a strong message it sends and that message is why the movie is so exceptional and interesting. Evan Rachel Wood is brilliant in her role and you cannot help but wonder how such a wonderful actress managed to not become one of the greats... there is still time, sure, but... you just feel sorry.

All in all, 'Thirteen' is the next thing to a real master-piece, a movie that, unlike many others, shows us how life functions and how it can be difficult for individuals to fight. But, it sends a strong message and one not so depressing as the movie itself and there is, certainly, a big lesson to be learned and it is, surely, a movie worth watching.
  42. MarcK.
    Oct 1, 2003
    A powerful and sad film. My only criticism is that I think it would have been even better if it was slightly more understated. That being said, give Holly Hunter an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actress, and give Evan Rachel Wood a nomination for Best Actress. Coupled with her first-time acting performance, if Nikki Reed was a significant contributor to the screenplay (and I think A powerful and sad film. My only criticism is that I think it would have been even better if it was slightly more understated. That being said, give Holly Hunter an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actress, and give Evan Rachel Wood a nomination for Best Actress. Coupled with her first-time acting performance, if Nikki Reed was a significant contributor to the screenplay (and I think she was), then having this much talent at such a young age is grossly unfair to the rest of us. Expand
  43. Thewiseking
    Sep 30, 2003
    A powerful and cautionary tale. The filmaker is especially courageous in taking on the popular culture head on. The mainstream pop culture of today has glamorized the lowest elements of fatherless, thug ghetto culture. Perversity, kink, miscegeny, and misogyny have all been mainstreamed. Parents have given up on parenting, and are trying to be "friends" to their kids. Perhaps there are A powerful and cautionary tale. The filmaker is especially courageous in taking on the popular culture head on. The mainstream pop culture of today has glamorized the lowest elements of fatherless, thug ghetto culture. Perversity, kink, miscegeny, and misogyny have all been mainstreamed. Parents have given up on parenting, and are trying to be "friends" to their kids. Perhaps there are really are consequences. Expand
  44. MichaelC.
    Feb 5, 2004
    I really enjoyed this one. While it has some flaws, it is written and acted quite well. And the shock value is way up there. I also like seeing dumb sluts get whats coming to them...just kidding. Definitely check this one out.
  45. CallahanB.
    Feb 5, 2004
    Sam B. This is to you. There are people out there that do drugs everynight, and go out everynight, and there are fathers who like their work over their daughters. their are also people who have casual sex. Ive been where you were, and there were people that had casual sex. Just cause you're a goodie good, and hang out with the nerds doesn't mean there's not people like that Sam B. This is to you. There are people out there that do drugs everynight, and go out everynight, and there are fathers who like their work over their daughters. their are also people who have casual sex. Ive been where you were, and there were people that had casual sex. Just cause you're a goodie good, and hang out with the nerds doesn't mean there's not people like that out there. there are few people like that. Its rare to see all this trouble within a person. And thats why it's in a movie. Imagine if your life was in a movie. Boring, lame you. Yea, how much would that movie suck? Expand
  46. ChadS.
    Sep 22, 2003
    Tracy and Evie giggle, like 13-year old girls have been doing for time immemorial, in life and on television/film, when the subject is boys. That's why we shudder when Tracy tells Evie about the cons of swallowing. "Thirteen" gets the job done without resorting to simulated sex between minors. That's Larry Clarke's job. Evan Rachel Wood and Nikki Reed are excellent, but Tracy and Evie giggle, like 13-year old girls have been doing for time immemorial, in life and on television/film, when the subject is boys. That's why we shudder when Tracy tells Evie about the cons of swallowing. "Thirteen" gets the job done without resorting to simulated sex between minors. That's Larry Clarke's job. Evan Rachel Wood and Nikki Reed are excellent, but it's Holly Hunter we're fascinated by. We wait, and wait, and wait, for her to act. She's loving, observant, but neglectful. When mom is finally there for her daughter, it's a relief, and her answering of a really, really loud wake-up call provides both actors the opportunity to be raw in a magnificent crying scene. But is the film too tidy? In "Kids", the hell goes on. Tracy has a chance to be rehabilitated. Still, this is a triumph for director/co-writer Catherine Hardwicke. Expand
  47. PaigeH.
    Jul 12, 2005
    It is a reality check for most people. For some parents it just a look into the true lives that some teenagers live everyday. It lets you know how easily a teenager can be hendered away during the trying times in their life. It also shows the depth as to how it can hurt a person mentally and emotionally.
  48. Cherry
    Mar 29, 2004
    This was a powerful and sad movie. Teens do go through a lot of that crap and it is important that the rest of the world sees the reality.
  49. Dec 5, 2011
    This is one of the most realistic teenage films you will ever see, It shows just how hard being a teenage is and all the pressures that we have to deal with. Solid acting and the film is not afraid to go there to get its point across.
  50. Jun 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film has a great meaning. It wants to show all the bad things that can happen to a teenager nowadays. Such as get addicted to drugs, have sex when you are thirteen steal. The actors were really good and the film in general was interesting. It is too dramatic in the end as the director wants to show the relationship mother-daughter that even in the wildest moments it is strong Expand
  51. DanF.
    Dec 15, 2003
    A brilliantly acted and well-portrayed movie of a teenage girl?s downfall. Yet, the possibility that this teenager could be as young as thirteen seems pretty unlikely. As I am only three years out of middle myself and posses insight into that age, I struggle to believe that someone of such youth would be shoplifting, getting pierced, experimenting with drugs, and performing sexual acts. A brilliantly acted and well-portrayed movie of a teenage girl?s downfall. Yet, the possibility that this teenager could be as young as thirteen seems pretty unlikely. As I am only three years out of middle myself and posses insight into that age, I struggle to believe that someone of such youth would be shoplifting, getting pierced, experimenting with drugs, and performing sexual acts. If this movie was called "Sixteen" then perhaps I could understand. But at thirteen, most girls are prudes (they will make out at most), who put Brad Pitt posters on their wall, shop on weekends and jab on the phone. Thirteen-year-olds just don't have the capability of leading wild lives. Without a car, and (usually) with a strict father, these girls are limited to dreaming about living outrageously. Perhaps this is a true story, but because it depicts such a rare example most Americans can't relate to it. Although this film quite adeptly and beautifully lays out a teenage girl?s demise, the movie loses much credibility by choosing that girl to be thirteen. Expand
  52. JustinA.
    Oct 13, 2003
    The LA of 13 is as menacing as the New York of Scorcese, and the lives depicted are almost as troublesome as those in a Breillat film. All of the themes, peer pressure, mother/daughter relations, adolescent sexuality, are cliches, but they gain a certain amount of viogr from the honesty with which they are dealt. Still, the utter lack of subtlety and theoretical concerns prevent the film The LA of 13 is as menacing as the New York of Scorcese, and the lives depicted are almost as troublesome as those in a Breillat film. All of the themes, peer pressure, mother/daughter relations, adolescent sexuality, are cliches, but they gain a certain amount of viogr from the honesty with which they are dealt. Still, the utter lack of subtlety and theoretical concerns prevent the film from raising new issues out of the cliches with which it deals. At its worst, it speaks as a cautionary tale to parents (if your daughter is not a mouse she is in trouble). At its best, it speaks to the darkest fears of adolescents (all of our desires fill us with dread). Expand
  53. TresCool
    Oct 3, 2003
    It's nice to get all goosebumpy about a kid co-writing a script, but if this piece could have benefitted from an actual screenwriter, in the case of THIRTEEN, one should have been employed. The story isn't bad, but this piece is really a vehicle for it's actors. EARTH TO HOLLYWOOD: Evan Rachel Wood's performance is beyond incredible. After 30 minutes, you can't It's nice to get all goosebumpy about a kid co-writing a script, but if this piece could have benefitted from an actual screenwriter, in the case of THIRTEEN, one should have been employed. The story isn't bad, but this piece is really a vehicle for it's actors. EARTH TO HOLLYWOOD: Evan Rachel Wood's performance is beyond incredible. After 30 minutes, you can't even see Nikki Reed and you barely register Holly Hunter. It's not that Holly wasn't given enough to do. It's that Evan is doing so much. Anybody who thinks Scarlett Johannson (LOST IN TRANSLATION) is an amazing actress must stop thinking with their schlong, forget the Coppola name, and see THIRTEEN. Trust me, this is where the best actress of the year is hiding. Expand
  54. BernardoS.
    Jun 2, 2006
    This movie does one thing right: It shows how you must not raise your kids. Simply because of that I´m giving an average rate I have come to realize that the ones that give a high rank are usually kids and my question is: What use the restrictions have if a kid is watching a R-rated movie?
  55. Rick
    Sep 1, 2005
    This movie had no redeeming factors about it. from the girls which were ok looking but obviously not in their early teens to the charcters who didnt change through the whole movie this was a waste of my time to watch.
  56. SamB.
    Feb 1, 2004
    This film is total crap. just one cliche after another. i mean come on. i'm in middle school and can probably relate to about 10 percents of this movie. but seriously, the dad's never there and his business is more important than his daughter and he always answers his cell phone instead of talking to her. also, i don't many seventh graders who go out each night and do every This film is total crap. just one cliche after another. i mean come on. i'm in middle school and can probably relate to about 10 percents of this movie. but seriously, the dad's never there and his business is more important than his daughter and he always answers his cell phone instead of talking to her. also, i don't many seventh graders who go out each night and do every drug imaginable, as well as sell it and then have sex so casual it's almost anonymous. this is a stupid constipated piece of garbage. Expand
  57. DavetheWave
    Jan 30, 2004
    What crap! An episodic cliché-fest. A film for people who think they are more cool than they really are. ("Oh yeah, it's realistic. You'd be surprised what 7th graders are into these days...")
  58. MelissaM.
    Aug 24, 2003
    I would dread having to sit through this movie again.
  59. TenayaC.
    Mar 28, 2007
    The movie was nicely done. OVERdone. HELLO, 90% or more of thirteen year old girls have never kissed a guy or worn a skirt the size of underwear, let alone gotten high or cut themselves. So will all the grown people please stop thinking it's a CHILLINGLY ACCURATE portrayal of the teen years. Puh-lease.
  60. GordieF.
    Aug 22, 2003
    Exploitive, sick film made for the lowest common denominator.
  61. CK
    Jan 28, 2004
    One of the worst movies ever. Nothing was natural. All forced and contrived. It was over the top just to be over the top. No purpose or direction. You can tell a 13 year old co- wrote it...so sad, such a waste. And the representation of the black kids...could they have found any lamer kids. They can't rap, dance, or anything. What a joke of a movie.
  62. TonyL.
    Jan 31, 2004
    I found this movie to be overrated. The personality shifts of Tracy are too rapid to be believed. I also found both Tracy and Evie to be very annoying. About a quarter of the way in, I started zipping through chapters. The critics were wrong about this one. Sorry Roger!
  63. JFHarrumph
    Aug 9, 2004
    Um the only thing truly shocking about this film is how inartistic it is. The movie just yells at you the whole way, it yells "crisis", "crisis", and more "crisis". And the girl even has a secret crisis with the cutting! Gee isn't it harrowing? Wow it must be a good movie because all these terrible things really do happen to real people. Um the difference is that all these terribleUm the only thing truly shocking about this film is how inartistic it is. The movie just yells at you the whole way, it yells "crisis", "crisis", and more "crisis". And the girl even has a secret crisis with the cutting! Gee isn't it harrowing? Wow it must be a good movie because all these terrible things really do happen to real people. Um the difference is that all these terrible things don't all happen at once to the same family. And I must fault them for not literally dropping the kitchen sink on them. And if you want to see how truly silly this movie is try listening to the commentary, which features the teenage actors giggling and um talking like very normal thirteen year olds. Expand
  64. JoseD.
    Mar 10, 2004
    This movie completly blows should have never ever been called a movie its just crap garbage teens that do this crap should rot in hell just like there parents who arent there for them in all this movie just suck it pisses me off.

1. It feels like real life unfolding before your eyes.
  2. Wood is superb at delineating Tracy's slide into desperate incoherence, but equally impressive is Reed, who has to conceal her writer's intelligence in playing a character who's entirely instinctive and unreflective.
  3. Reviewed by: Ty Burr
    Would it be rude to suggest that your time might be better spent with your own children?