5.9

1. Nov 23, 2014
    This is 40 is a movie for anyone in their teenage years to anyone in middle age. Its full of good laughs and this movie does very well considering Seth Rogen is not featured in the sequel to Knocked Up. Paul Rudd and Leslie Mann are great. Another great Judd Apatow film.
  2. Jul 12, 2014
    funnier than expected, but its a typical 1 time see movie and thats it.at least you can see leslie´s **** and megan is always welcome
  3. Jun 23, 2014
    This Is 4o is an excellent movie from Judd Apatow. The nail is pretty much nailed on the head regarding marriage and children. There were just so many familiar sights on offer here! Plus it was really funny.
  4. Mar 2, 2014
    judd apatow films are amazing expect the 40 year old virgin . leslie mann and paul rudd are funny including melissa mccarthy . but judd keeps making r rated films . make a pg13 film first
  5. Feb 13, 2014
    It's sometimes sweet and often funny, the entire film is a brutally honest look at life around the mid-life crisis time. As far as comedy goes this movie can provide tons of laugh-out-loud moments that make excellent use of the film's vulgarity. It's not always providing hilarious moments, there are plenty of times when the film is relying on more dramatic and emotional moments, but theIt's sometimes sweet and often funny, the entire film is a brutally honest look at life around the mid-life crisis time. As far as comedy goes this movie can provide tons of laugh-out-loud moments that make excellent use of the film's vulgarity. It's not always providing hilarious moments, there are plenty of times when the film is relying on more dramatic and emotional moments, but the movie is at it's best when it is.

The film is, for the most part, excellently cast. Most of the minor characters provide just as many hilarious moments as the main cast, but there are a few odd choices. For instance it's clear that they want Megan Fox's character to be more than just a minor inclusion, but they fail to make her character funny in any way shape or form, resulting in her being nothing more than eye candy. Also some of the funnier minor characters like Melissa McCarthy ended leaving me wishing they had more screen time.

"This Is 40" is a very funny movie that will please audiences 40 and older the most. Not everything is going to stick with you, but what does stick will have you chuckling at the very thought of it. It's not going to appeal to everyone, I might have been too young to understand the more dramatic bits, but those who have been though this part in their life are sure to find a real treat with this movie. As long as you aren't expecting a masterpiece you shouldn't be disappointed.
  6. Feb 2, 2014
    There are so many wrong things about this un-funny comedy that I am not sure where to start. The very loose plot revolves around a rich married couple, with two daughters. All the members of this family spend most of their "quality" time shouting at each other.

Despite this, hubby (Paul) and wife (Debbie) carry on their dysfunctional marriage for reasons impossible to understand. They both are immature, self-absorbed and kept together only by sex.
    Several scenes involve trivial language and cringe-inducing situations.

To mention but a few: Debbie insults a kid, after having read his comments on her daughter's facebook page (how utterly pathetic to see an adult woman losing it with a kid for such a trivial reason...); Debbie going to the disco with her employee and behaving like a teenager; Paul spending a lot of time in the toilet (we have the pleasure of seeing him taking a dump not once but twice), etc.....

The only saving grace for me was that this was supposed to be my in-flight entertainment, so at least I had the pleasure of not paying for a ticket.
  7. Dec 8, 2013
    Epically awful......................................................................................................................................................
  8. Aug 15, 2013
    Cliche, predicable, boring, annoying add up to waste of time. It's just a sequence of celebrity and brand name dropping with adults acting out as irresponsible adolescents and adolescents acting out as mouthy brats. I watched half before calling time-of-death.
  9. Aug 6, 2013
    The first word that comes to mind with this movie is "miserable". There was no central plot and the parts that actually were there are put out there and then ignored and practically unused. It was just plain terrible with very few parts even attempting comedy.
  10. BKM
    Jul 18, 2013
    The movie has its fair share of laughs, although none of them are of the gut busting variety, and Mann and Rudd do a commendable job of carrying the film on their combined shoulders. But This Is 40 ultimately fails due to a maddening lack of focus. It feels like it's trying to go in ten different directions at the same time.
  11. Jun 13, 2013
    So funny!!!!!! I laughed my butt off. I love all of Judd Appatow's movies. There is always a great combination of hilarious and meaningful sentiment towards them. Rudd and Mann make a great combo.
  12. Jun 4, 2013
    "While it comes with many flaws. This is 40 is a calmly funny, up-beat comedy that takes us through the mid-life crisis. While its not always laugh out loud funny. Thanks to comedic timing by Rudd & Mann, this movie saved itself from being a much worse" C
  13. Apr 30, 2013
    A typical Apatow movie funny with enjoyable stars, but a tad long. This film was enjoyable mainly because you have Paul Rudd and Leslie Mann two very likeable and funny stars.
  14. Apr 29, 2013
    This film was completely garbage, it shows that Judd Apatow can out anything and it will be picked up by some mainstream studio. This film is nothing like Knocked Up so if you are hoping for some similar laughs you are lookin in the wrong place. This movie consists of a married couple and moaning about life not living up to their expectation. Completely and utter crap.
  15. Apr 27, 2013
    There are some funny one-liners, but the irresponsible nature of the characters in this movie drove me nuts. The fathers in this movie are total dead beats and all the fighting and bickering got annoying. If there is one message to take away from this, having kids is no reason to keep someone around!!!
  16. Apr 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Don't waste your time on this dud. Judd Apatow has made and/or produced some funny movies. "Forgetting Sarah Marshall", "Superbad", "Bridesmaids" were all good comedies. "The 40 Year Old Virgin" was okay. "Knocked Up" (to which "This Is 40" is sort of a sequel to) was mediocre while "Pineapple Express" stunk. He executive produces on HBO's rather entertaining "Girls".

The main problem with this movie is that the main characters are basically a pair of privileged, lying, mean-spirited, manipulative white people and it's really hard to care about them and their first world problems. There were times when the couple were almost relatable but then they'd go and do something borderline sociopathic and I was right back to hating them. This couple were okay as supporting characters in "Knocked Up", but really can't carry their own movie so one is left wondering why Apatow thought this would be a good idea.

I am a parent. I understand what it is to love your kids and want to give them every opportunity to succeed in life. That said, Judd Apatow has got to stop thinking that letting his irritating daughters, Iris and Maude, act in his movies is a good idea. It's bad enough that the characters they are playing are given crappy material to work with, but it's made far worse that neither of these little hellspawn munchkins could act their way out of wet brown paper bag. Every scene they're in is excruciating.

Some of the cameo appearances by Apatow regulars are fun. Some are not so fun. Charlyne Yi as Jodi is painfully unfunny, especially in a scene in a coffee shop where her character is high on oxycodone and starts doing these really bad croaky voices. Charlyne Yi is undoubtedly a better actress than Megan Fox, and yet Fox's character is infinitely more watchable and definitely much more likeable. Scenes like this one seem to have been written (or more likely improvised) in the hopes of making stoners laugh. I wouldn't have found that s*** funny even in the days when I did smoke pot.

This movie stinks. Save yourself the boredom, pain, and two hours you'll never get back and skip this sucker...
  17. Apr 16, 2013
    There are a lot of great comedic actors having great fun here. Like many of Apatow's films, it's too long, kind of self-indulgent and not quite sure of what it wants to be. However, the characters spoke to me. It's not so much a study on middle age, but not knowing where you are in life, at any age. It isn't perfect, but it doesn't have to be.
  18. Apr 15, 2013
    I actually rather enjoyed it. A lot more then I did Knocked Up or the most torturous film of all time aka Funny People. It does follow the basic Apatow formula Struggling/Childish adults becoming more mature and emotionally stable. However, what saves this film isn't the comedy but that it's real life. The situations happening through out the film actually happen. We all have to deal withI actually rather enjoyed it. A lot more then I did Knocked Up or the most torturous film of all time aka Funny People. It does follow the basic Apatow formula Struggling/Childish adults becoming more mature and emotionally stable. However, what saves this film isn't the comedy but that it's real life. The situations happening through out the film actually happen. We all have to deal with money problems, supporting elderly parents or parents who were never around much when we were growing up, As well as martial problems. I like that and thought that aspect of the film was well done. The humor did make me chuckle a few times but nothing serious but then again I saw it more as a drama film then a comedy after seeing the trailers so I wasn't disappointed with it. The run time is a bit too much and the film would have been better or at least more bare-able for some viewers if it were shorter but I didn't mind it. I didn't really mind all the sub-plots either because it all tied in with the film's main plot well enough to not be a bother. Acting is good, Rudd and Mann are at their best imo. Easily the best work Apatow has put out in years. Expand
  19. Apr 13, 2013
    Hmmm. This was a movie that seemed to have come out of Apatow's clinic of typic movies. This movie had his typical earmarks such as being a major platform for informing the public about his love of music to say the least. It was also infused with Paul Rudd's befuddled rants and Mann's classic freakouts. Combine with McCarthy's run-of-the-mill psychotic episodes, it was just too much of theHmmm. This was a movie that seemed to have come out of Apatow's clinic of typic movies. This movie had his typical earmarks such as being a major platform for informing the public about his love of music to say the least. It was also infused with Paul Rudd's befuddled rants and Mann's classic freakouts. Combine with McCarthy's run-of-the-mill psychotic episodes, it was just too much of the same thing as these actors typically do in the other Apatow movies. Too much of the kids arguing, too much jokes that didn't land, and let's face it, if you're not married/have kids/and or 40, alot of what might be subtle humor just will fly over your head, but at the fault of not directing the humor in a way that us minority might understand it. The addition of Megan Fox was just insult to injury on that front. Overall, I didn't absolutely hate it, but after the credits rolled, it left me thinking "wow, that wasn't very funny." Expand
  20. Apr 12, 2013
    This movie is CRAP! I recall it being a comedy but it is just actors reading a script in front a camera. The only person who added life to this movie is Megan Fox...just saying.I normally like to watch movies that show real life events but those kids are just TV BRATS that would influence REAL LIFE BRATS. My opinion is this movie is
  21. Apr 6, 2013
    A remarkably funny movie based around concepts that feel so relatable and honest. The improvisation in this movie was great, and you really feel as if you understand the characters. Fun and serious and everything in between in only a way Judd Apatow could deliver.
  22. Mar 31, 2013
    It's hard to feel sorry for people who live in a $900.000 house, drive a 5 series BMW and a Lexus SUV, own a large heated swimming pool, use iPhones/iPads/iMacs, have a Spine surgeon as a father and who organise large garden BBQ parties. These 'poor' characters are bogged down by simple superficial problems that could be easlily solved and are plagued by their Mid-life crisis, coz theirIt's hard to feel sorry for people who live in a $900.000 house, drive a 5 series BMW and a Lexus SUV, own a large heated swimming pool, use iPhones/iPads/iMacs, have a Spine surgeon as a father and who organise large garden BBQ parties. These 'poor' characters are bogged down by simple superficial problems that could be easlily solved and are plagued by their Mid-life crisis, coz their relationship doesn't feel as fresh anymore. Mediocre acting by Mann & Rudd makes you care even less about the outcome of this 137 min long self indulgent nagfest. It seems Apatow only had one good movie in him, so maybe he should consider another job... Expand
  23. Mar 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What a disappointing movie, This is 40 turned out to be. Paul Rudd is hilarious and he was the best character from Knocked Up. Then factor in the premise of this film and you would think the movie would be fantastic. However, that couldn't be further from the truth. Yes, Paul Rudd is still great but other than him, this movie is horrible. First of all, the most obvious flaw is their daughters' complete and total lack of anything resembling acting ability. Honestly, is was just sad. I'm starting to side with a friend of mine who thinks kids should just be banned from acting in general because they're that bad. While I don't always agree with that assessment, he could use this film as Exhibit A when making his case. Secondly, the film's plot is pieced together like crap. I'm sorry but there's just no eloquent way to put it. This film made me question whether or not Judd Apatow even knows how to make a movie. Scenes jump from one to another without any rhyme or reason and a good portion of the scenes could be completely left out of the movie being that that add absolutely nothing to the character or plot development nor are they funny. Actually, that segues perfectly into my next point. This movie was WAY TOO LONG and you feel every minute of it, especially for the first half of the film, because of the terrible scene transitions. My last problem, the ending was a joke. Did Apatow forget about Rudd being hit by a car door? How does the result of that not get touched on before the conclusion of the film? Bottom line, Rudd is hilarious and Megan Fox is absolutely smoking but everything else about this movie is a big disappointment. Don't waste your time. Expand
  24. Mar 25, 2013
    I was disappointed by this movie. I had high hopes that it would be funny and a good time to watch. It had it's funny moments but it wasn't anything special. I know the movie was going for a genuine relationship, but I just felt like were fighting the entire time. If I wanted to see a couple fight, I could have stayed home. The movie was also too long, the ending dragged on a lot and II was disappointed by this movie. I had high hopes that it would be funny and a good time to watch. It had it's funny moments but it wasn't anything special. I know the movie was going for a genuine relationship, but I just felt like were fighting the entire time. If I wanted to see a couple fight, I could have stayed home. The movie was also too long, the ending dragged on a lot and I feel like they could have deleted a few more scenes. Megan Fox was awesome to look and Paul Rudd is always adorable. In all, I just wasn't impressed. Expand
  25. Mar 20, 2013
    Bland, annoying and badly executed, Judd Apatow disappoints once again. If you liked Knocked Up, give this one a miss.

These movies with family members playing major roles don't ever work, learn your lesson Apatow.
  26. Mar 14, 2013
    I found myself smirking lightly a few times during this one. It was pretty boring to be honest. I found just disappointed after every scene with the children.. how does a father say to his young daughters that I wish they had a dick? Or the fact they yell out "I'M GONNA KILL YOU"! The usual manufactured Hollywood movie. This movie was filled with so much Satanic symbolism, aside from theI found myself smirking lightly a few times during this one. It was pretty boring to be honest. I found just disappointed after every scene with the children.. how does a father say to his young daughters that I wish they had a dick? Or the fact they yell out "I'M GONNA KILL YOU"! The usual manufactured Hollywood movie. This movie was filled with so much Satanic symbolism, aside from the main theme of the movie. Along with the cruel context between the people in the movie, it just shows how repetitive this absurd formula is. Of course they have the children act as little brats, parents glorifying them, speaking to them with utmost disrespect. This movie also endorses sex, power, and drugs, aside being “happy” all the time. These are all the same variables that are in most Hollywood movies that are used to inflict emotion to audiences. These emotions disarrays people from the reality that these practices are so disgusting. But hey to most of you I’m sure this is just another “conspiracy” lol, Educate yourself. Peace. Expand
  27. Mar 12, 2013
    Utterly Missable. 2 hrs I'll never get back. Steer clear unless you enjoy watching a spineless husband and a psychotic wife repeatedly arguing and whining, with a halfhearted peace-making occasionally thrown in to break the monotony which it actually becomes part of. The cheap one-liners are too weak and too rare to offer any conciliation. If not for Apatow's previous successes thisUtterly Missable. 2 hrs I'll never get back. Steer clear unless you enjoy watching a spineless husband and a psychotic wife repeatedly arguing and whining, with a halfhearted peace-making occasionally thrown in to break the monotony which it actually becomes part of. The cheap one-liners are too weak and too rare to offer any conciliation. If not for Apatow's previous successes this film would never have been made. 4 THUMBS DOWN. Expand
  28. Mar 9, 2013
    Absolutely loved it. Favorite comedy of the year! Thought it was fantastic from start to finish. Was my life! Cannot wait to see what Rudd does next! 10/10
  29. Mar 3, 2013
    A family drama that doesn't end with a marriage collapsing or strengthening. A film that maintains the status quo while being utterly foul and equally as heartfelt. This is 40 follows Pete and Debbie from Knocked Up as they enter what they perceive to be middle age and decide to change their lives for the better although in reality it might just be for the worst, the absolute worst. It's aA family drama that doesn't end with a marriage collapsing or strengthening. A film that maintains the status quo while being utterly foul and equally as heartfelt. This is 40 follows Pete and Debbie from Knocked Up as they enter what they perceive to be middle age and decide to change their lives for the better although in reality it might just be for the worst, the absolute worst. It's a film designed for the modern family, or that's what all the posters and adverts seem to suggest but to be honest the idea that this film is something for the modern family is completely absurd. In fact the family portrayed in this film feels nothing like the modern family (does anyone really know what a modern family is?), it feels dated even for 2013, I mean even the Lost references (there are plenty) are 3 years old. It's a film that does have a lot to say about family and does display a interesting family unit and a unique view of what a family should look like as compared to the idealised one we have in our head. This family unit is a strong one and each character interacts well with each other. However that's not to say the film is just about family and portrays family perfectly, its a very flawed film too. It's middle suffers due to some boring plot developments and lackluster jokes that befit a much different film. Ultimately its a film that seems it was written in parts with the beginning and the end meshing with each other well but the middle feeling wholly out of place and wrong. The middle does have some merit in fact Megan Fox surprises with a hilarious supporting role as one of Debbie's employees. However it is the ending that really raises the film up above Apatow's usual fair with some touching family moments that feel real. The inclusion of Albert Brooks and John Lithgow as Pete and Debbie's respective fathers gives a nice contrast and makes for some decent conflict the these characters. It's a film that has a huge chunk of a flaw but its one that you can ultimately shrug off thanks to an ending that reminds you why you liked these characters to begin with. Expand
  30. Feb 22, 2013
    Pete and Debbie, the loveable couple from Knocked Up, are back in the "sort of sequel" This Is 40. The couple are both turning 40, within days of each other, and decide that the number means it's time for a change, for them, as well as their family. They get new jobs and reconnect with family on their journey toward becoming a more mature couple, but it comes at a cost. Judd Apatow writesPete and Debbie, the loveable couple from Knocked Up, are back in the "sort of sequel" This Is 40. The couple are both turning 40, within days of each other, and decide that the number means it's time for a change, for them, as well as their family. They get new jobs and reconnect with family on their journey toward becoming a more mature couple, but it comes at a cost. Judd Apatow writes and directs this unique comedy, so I was expecting another hilarious winner, but they can't all be winners. The cast is fantastic and there are more than a few good laughs here, but this movie is extremely long and drawn out for a romantic comedy, and while it starts out strong, it starts to grow tiresome. There are many scenes between husband and wife that are boring and completely unnecessary. What I did like was how Apatow cast his daughters to be Pete and Debbie's daughters. They really are sisters and there was no pressure working for their dad, allowing them to really make it seem like this is a real family, and it's a good thing too, because for as good as both Paul Rudd and Leslie Mann are, they just didn't have much chemistry together. Both cast members were good in portraying their own characters, but when you put them together you see that something just isn't right about the pairing. I loved the concept and you will definitely laugh during this film, but it does lack a certain chemistry and is far too long for what it is. Expand
  31. Feb 14, 2013
    Funny. With a dose of pathos and melodrama. If an up-and-coming director made this it would be receiving the plaudits it deserves as a very very solid comedy/drama. I went to see it at 6pm on a wet Thursday in Scotland and the half empty theatre loved it. Judd's becoming a victim of his own success. Another great comedy. Genuinely funny people making a genuine, and genuinely funny, film.
  32. Feb 13, 2013
    Funny as heck!! Paul Rudd is the best! There are so many great moments that you can barely find time to stop laughing before something else happens. Anyone with pre-teen aged kids can relate to most of this story. My only real issue with the movie is that it is entirely too long for a movie of its type. Its a comedy about life at 40, not a Lord of the Rings trilogy!!
  33. Feb 13, 2013
    Marketed as the ‘Sort-of sequel to Knocked Up‘, writer/director/producer Judd Apatow returns with his regular blend of bickering tragicomedy, only this time it’s more cantankerous, self-aggrandising, and most painful of all longer then it ever should or deserved to be.

Full review here:
  34. Jan 26, 2013
    How did this movie even get over a 6 from the users? C'mon people. This movie is unbearable. Its 2 hours and 20 minutes of people yelling at each other. The characters are insufferable. I hated them all. This is 40 is not a funny movie. Nor is it a good movie. Skip it.
  35. Jan 24, 2013
    This is 40 was not the kind of comedy that I was expecting, and has shown that Judd Apatow is becoming a much darker director. I have always enjoyed Judd Apatow's work; films like Bridesmaids and The 40-Year Old Virgin were really well made and well written while also being hilarious. This film is a sequel to Apatow's 2007 film Knocked Up, but it doesn't bring back Seth Rogen or KathrynThis is 40 was not the kind of comedy that I was expecting, and has shown that Judd Apatow is becoming a much darker director. I have always enjoyed Judd Apatow's work; films like Bridesmaids and The 40-Year Old Virgin were really well made and well written while also being hilarious. This film is a sequel to Apatow's 2007 film Knocked Up, but it doesn't bring back Seth Rogen or Kathryn Bigelow and instead stars the supporting actors Paul Rudd and Leslie Mann. This new movie proves to have some funny and touching moments, but Judd Apatow seems to be more focused on making a drama rather than a comedy. I didn't laugh as much as I wanted too and many of the characters reach a fine line between likable and really mean. I like to enjoy the characters in a comedy but in this movie the two parents are just always fighting, the two kids are just wretched little creatures, and all the people around them just always give bad advice and make their lives even more difficult. I must admit, the fights between this married couples were some of the best moments of the movie as they really show the good performances from Paul Rudd and Leslie Mann while also showing some real life arguments that married couples have all the time. I know many couples that have gone through this kind of mid-life crisis when they were around 40 years old and this movie shows the difficulties of that kind of marriage. I love the heartfelt and true moments that Judd Apatow puts in his comedies, but he directs this movie so sad and depressing at some moments that it Expand
  36. Jan 21, 2013
    This is 40 is a tale of 2 movies. The first hour and half seems forced, unnecessary and has mindless conversations. The last 40 minutes, Apatow brings back his old ways of comedy and has some of the funniest scenes since The 40 year old Virgin
  37. Jan 21, 2013
    This movie is so bad it hurt my eyes to watch,Leslie Mann is less than a one trick pony and if she wasnt married to apatow she would be dredging a living on reality shows....maybe.
    Paul Rudd looks a sif he wants to scream.."where did it all go wrong"!
    The only possible saving Grace is Mellisa Mcarthy who is always a joy.
    dont watch this, you will never get the time back!
  38. Jan 21, 2013
    This is good piece of film making and story telling. I know on the
    poster it tells us 'It's sort of a sequel' but it's not. OK, if we had
    Seth Rogen and Katherine Heigl then it might pass for a sequel but we don't. What we do have is a good comedy/drama (dramedy?) where we glimpse into the lives of Pete and Debbie from Knocked Up. All their trials and tribulations, dentist and
    This is good piece of film making and story telling. I know on the
    poster it tells us 'It's sort of a sequel' but it's not. OK, if we had
    Seth Rogen and Katherine Heigl then it might pass for a sequel but we
    don't. What we do have is a good comedy/drama (dramedy?) where we
    glimpse into the lives of Pete and Debbie from Knocked Up. All their
    trials and tribulations, dentist and gynaecologist visits which are
    very funny and so true. Judd Apatow enlists the help of the family
    again and they are all great, especially Iris Apatow as the annoying
    baby sister. This is as funny as Knocked Up but I felt it was 30
    minutes too long. Even so it works well. Couples who have been together
    a few years will especially find it hilarious.

Good fun.

Score 6.5/10
  39. Jan 17, 2013
    The opposite of a date movie... this is more like a "never date" movie. The couple at the center of the story get into an argument 30 seconds into the film and the squabbling never lets up. Eighty minutes in, one of their kids says, "I'm sick of everybody fighting." I couldn't have agreed more. Although it's true that a story needs to have some conflict to be interesting, the mistakeThe opposite of a date movie... this is more like a "never date" movie. The couple at the center of the story get into an argument 30 seconds into the film and the squabbling never lets up. Eighty minutes in, one of their kids says, "I'm sick of everybody fighting." I couldn't have agreed more. Although it's true that a story needs to have some conflict to be interesting, the mistake Apatow makes here is thinking that more conflict means more interesting. Sitting through over two hours of miserable people blaming each other for their miserable lives is far closer to torture than entertainment. Expand
  40. Jan 16, 2013
    I give Apatow kudos for trying something decent with this. It has elements of a serious comedy, "Lost in Translation" style, but also silliness to try and equal it out. Often it works, but just as often it fails. The film has had great potential, and it is rather decent end-product overall, with good performances by the cast, especially Leslie Mann. There seems to be some disjointments inI give Apatow kudos for trying something decent with this. It has elements of a serious comedy, "Lost in Translation" style, but also silliness to try and equal it out. Often it works, but just as often it fails. The film has had great potential, and it is rather decent end-product overall, with good performances by the cast, especially Leslie Mann. There seems to be some disjointments in the story, but it is rather entertaining, though a tad too long. Not bad at all, but not a great film either. It's within the 'good' category, for sure. 6/10 Expand
  41. Jan 10, 2013
    Its not terrible but Paul Rudd keeps playing the same kind of guy. Honestly I saw it a couple weeks ago and I had to watch the trailer again on here in order to remember it. I do like John Lithgow and he was one of the more interesting characters but his role was very small. Also I'm not sure when Hollywood is going to learn that most men generally are uncomfortable with jokes aboutIts not terrible but Paul Rudd keeps playing the same kind of guy. Honestly I saw it a couple weeks ago and I had to watch the trailer again on here in order to remember it. I do like John Lithgow and he was one of the more interesting characters but his role was very small. Also I'm not sure when Hollywood is going to learn that most men generally are uncomfortable with jokes about masturbation.
    It was just okay but very forgettable. If you watch a trailer for it, you've seen all you really need to see.
  42. Jan 9, 2013
    Maybe it is about 20 minutes to long and concludes the main plot point twice, but "This Is 40" is full of comedic moments and overall relatable content that is definitely worth a watch.
  43. Jan 5, 2013
    Leslie Mann and Paul Rudd (reprising the characters they created in "Knocked Up") turn 40 and deal with complications in their marriage, family and careers. There's not much of a plot line, just situations where they interact with each other and friends. In typical Judd Apatow style, the dialogue often feels improvised, but that doesn't stop it from being very funny. The supporting cast isLeslie Mann and Paul Rudd (reprising the characters they created in "Knocked Up") turn 40 and deal with complications in their marriage, family and careers. There's not much of a plot line, just situations where they interact with each other and friends. In typical Judd Apatow style, the dialogue often feels improvised, but that doesn't stop it from being very funny. The supporting cast is loaded with strong comic turns, esp. Albert Brooks & Melissa McCarthy. This movie is full insights into life and relationships that elicit chuckles of recognition and lots of laughs. Expand
  44. Jan 4, 2013
    Fight-make up-fight-make up-fight=make up. There is never a big moment in this movie. Right when you think that their gonna have the fight to end all fights and the movie is gonna take some sort of a turn, the fight is over and we go back to square one. No real story arc. The acting is good and there's a few funny parts. Not a bad movie but definitely not Apatow's best by a long shot.
  45. Jan 3, 2013
    Probably the worst movie I have seen. What a waste of time and money!! Extremely fragmented, excessive, unnecessary vulgarity, no chemistry between the characters and not funny.. nobody laughed in the audience. All I heard were gasps related to the unnecessary vulgarity even from the children. I guess after reading all the reviews and seeing who was in the movie I expected to laugh aProbably the worst movie I have seen. What a waste of time and money!! Extremely fragmented, excessive, unnecessary vulgarity, no chemistry between the characters and not funny.. nobody laughed in the audience. All I heard were gasps related to the unnecessary vulgarity even from the children. I guess after reading all the reviews and seeing who was in the movie I expected to laugh a little... didn't happen. Not sure if the people that gave the positive reviews were paid off because there is no way anyone could say this movie was good. Expand
  46. Jan 3, 2013
    Not even the stunning Megan Fox can save this film.
  47. Jan 2, 2013
    Not a movie so much as extended takes edited together (by no less than 3 credited editors) of improvised scenes from previous characters in another Judd Apatow movie. Like Funny People, this sacrifices story (and humor) for honesty, but the 2 hours of mean-spirited jaunt isn't worth the 9-minute payoff thrown together, nor the 2 minutes of outtakes at the end watching Melissa McCarthyNot a movie so much as extended takes edited together (by no less than 3 credited editors) of improvised scenes from previous characters in another Judd Apatow movie. Like Funny People, this sacrifices story (and humor) for honesty, but the 2 hours of mean-spirited jaunt isn't worth the 9-minute payoff thrown together, nor the 2 minutes of outtakes at the end watching Melissa McCarthy improvise. Fast forward to her 2 scenes and turn the rest off. Waste of time. Expand
  48. Jan 2, 2013
    I absolutely loved this movie and didn't want it to end. I can't wait another 5 years for a sequel, I want Apatow to write another immediately, or put everyone in a sitcom or reality show. I laughed and I cried, I love Leslie and her daughters the most.
  49. Jan 1, 2013
    A little long, a little inconsistent, and a little full of unnecessary supporting characters. In the end its success hinges on the likability of its cast, and it that regard it mostly works.
  50. Jan 1, 2013
    I really think Apatow is trying to win an Oscar. This film is so more serious and relatable than his previous ones, and I'm not sure how I like it. It's a pretty good movie and it definitely makes you question your realationships but the 2 and a half hour run time are felt, and at times it is more awkward than enjoyable. Still a pretty good movie even if it is nothing like the other ones.
  51. Jan 1, 2013
    This is 40 is self indulgent, silly and only occasionally funny. The main problem is its just too long, scenes dither and meander which ultimately detracts from any possible cinematic weight or substance. I have no doubt that there is a perfectly funny, astute 90min movie itching to get out of this fatty 134 min sludge of a film. A crying shame.
  52. Dec 31, 2012
    The movie "This is 40'' is such an aweful movie, such a piece of crap who are these people acting in
    the movie? D list stars! First off, it was all about filthy sex, and there wasn't anything interesting in this movie, nothing left to the imagination, just pure filth. And to put kids in this movie is beyond me. This is pure rubbish and I was very, very, disappointed with this garbage movie. This was by far one of the worst, boring movies I have seen in a long, long, time. There, I got that off my chest.
  53. Dec 29, 2012
    While this movie isnt perfect by any means, I feel its been getting a bum rap. As a 42 year old myself, I could relate to a lot of the humor and I really enjoyed the chemistry between Leslie Mann and Paul Rudd. My main problem is it seems there were too many underdeveloped plot issues where the meat and potatoes were left on the cutting room floor or just went left unsaid (the last 10While this movie isnt perfect by any means, I feel its been getting a bum rap. As a 42 year old myself, I could relate to a lot of the humor and I really enjoyed the chemistry between Leslie Mann and Paul Rudd. My main problem is it seems there were too many underdeveloped plot issues where the meat and potatoes were left on the cutting room floor or just went left unsaid (the last 10 minutes of the movie doesnt really tie anything up).
    Bottom line is if you are married and have kids and are nearing 40, then I definitely recommend this movie to you. If you are young and single....maybe not so much.
  54. Dec 29, 2012
    This movie was surprisingly good ! From now on I'm going to ignore the critic reviews when going into movies, because this one was way more enjoyable then they lead on. Rudd and Mann have the perfect chemistry as displayed in Knocked up. I love how their daughters grew up, and the actors are very believable as a family. And many of the actors from bridesmaids add more comedy to the allThis movie was surprisingly good ! From now on I'm going to ignore the critic reviews when going into movies, because this one was way more enjoyable then they lead on. Rudd and Mann have the perfect chemistry as displayed in Knocked up. I love how their daughters grew up, and the actors are very believable as a family. And many of the actors from bridesmaids add more comedy to the all ready funny plot. The only complaints I have is that the movie is overly long. Its not poorly paced at all, but it was a good two hours and ten minutes long, so be prepared for that. And my last complaint is that like fellow review "kristen58" pointed out is that Alison ( Katherine Heigel) and Ben (Seth Rogan) are absent and not even mentioned in this entire movie. They were the Main characters from Knocked Up and even though I see this film as a spin-off rather than a sequel from knocked up, It would have been a nice touch if they even referenced them. Mann's character constantly talks about her family and her father, but there is never even a mention of her sister. But overall I would definitely recommend this movie. Money well spent. Expand
  55. Dec 29, 2012
    I agree with much of bl_nk's review, but I'll add that it's very long, but I never felt that it was too long or that I wanted it to end. It almost felt like a full season of Parenthood (though much funnier) crammed into 5 episodes. Most of the black humor resonated with me in particular - I noticed that I was often the only one laughing (hard) among the 20 or so people seeing the late,I agree with much of bl_nk's review, but I'll add that it's very long, but I never felt that it was too long or that I wanted it to end. It almost felt like a full season of Parenthood (though much funnier) crammed into 5 episodes. Most of the black humor resonated with me in particular - I noticed that I was often the only one laughing (hard) among the 20 or so people seeing the late, late show with me. My primary criticism is that it might have bitten off a BIT more than it could chew in terms of subplots and storylines. But Rudd and Mann are just flat-out funny. And I appreciate the basic honesty of the story. Apatow's kids are also excellent in their roles. Albert Brooks may have been a bit too strong for the film - he stole his scenes to the extent that he pulled focus away from the rest of the movie. So yes, the film employed a bit of a buckshot approach and was a touch unfocused, but I enjoyed it thoroughly. Expand
  56. Dec 28, 2012
    sentimental, sometimes funny, typical Aptow navel gazing about emotional discovery and maturity. Wish he would get over the mid-life crisis and make something funny again. It is comparable to Louis the television series in that it makes fun of real life, steals some of his jokes, and is a realistic humor on getting older, only not nearly as funny. It is well balanced in that Megan foxsentimental, sometimes funny, typical Aptow navel gazing about emotional discovery and maturity. Wish he would get over the mid-life crisis and make something funny again. It is comparable to Louis the television series in that it makes fun of real life, steals some of his jokes, and is a realistic humor on getting older, only not nearly as funny. It is well balanced in that Megan fox has few lines and is mostly camera fodder to make the viewer forget that he is watching a **** polished version of a boring married couple. Would have been much more interesting if Rudd and Mann actually tried to kill each other and not just joke about it. don't pay money to see it. online free version is watchable. not worth the price of admission. Collapse
  57. Dec 28, 2012
    This movie was hilarious. I wasn't expecting much because of the so-so reviews, but I was really surprised. The lines were great and the the cast carried them off beautifully. Loved Leslie Mann, but I thought that Albert Brooks stole the movie. Would've loved even more of him. Judd Apatow knew exactly what he was doing, maybe because it is his life, but even if not, he was spot on.This movie was hilarious. I wasn't expecting much because of the so-so reviews, but I was really surprised. The lines were great and the the cast carried them off beautifully. Loved Leslie Mann, but I thought that Albert Brooks stole the movie. Would've loved even more of him. Judd Apatow knew exactly what he was doing, maybe because it is his life, but even if not, he was spot on. Funniest movie of the year! Expand
  58. Dec 28, 2012
    This movie was hilarious! It had its serious moments that didn't get too dramatic and romantic moments that didn't get too cheesy. The humor was clever and probably too modern and advanced for the movie critics to comprehend. I really enjoyed the film and felt like a lot of the characters and situations between parents and children really hit close to home. Thanks for another great filmThis movie was hilarious! It had its serious moments that didn't get too dramatic and romantic moments that didn't get too cheesy. The humor was clever and probably too modern and advanced for the movie critics to comprehend. I really enjoyed the film and felt like a lot of the characters and situations between parents and children really hit close to home. Thanks for another great film Judd Apatow! Expand
  59. Dec 27, 2012
    Paul Rudd on a toilet AGAIN !!! Come on find another skit for the guy. He did it 3 times in this movie alone. Hard to put a number on this one. Some jokes worked great others not so. Both fathers characters were overdone. The girls screamed and fought a bit too much. Other scenes like the one with the kid that looked like Tom Petty worked great. Although clever observations about life arePaul Rudd on a toilet AGAIN !!! Come on find another skit for the guy. He did it 3 times in this movie alone. Hard to put a number on this one. Some jokes worked great others not so. Both fathers characters were overdone. The girls screamed and fought a bit too much. Other scenes like the one with the kid that looked like Tom Petty worked great. Although clever observations about life are presented in this movie, development is scarce. Nice to see if there is nothing else on at the theater. Expand
  60. Dec 26, 2012
    Very funny, entertaining movie...but I think it's probably not as good as Knocked Up. The most negative thing I can say is that it's super weird and awkward that Katherine Heigl's character from Knocked Up, Alison, is not even mentioned. I mean in Knocked Up, they're so close that Alison lives with her sister Debbie (Leslie Mann) and brother-in-law Pete (Paul Rudd), but in This is 40,Very funny, entertaining movie...but I think it's probably not as good as Knocked Up. The most negative thing I can say is that it's super weird and awkward that Katherine Heigl's character from Knocked Up, Alison, is not even mentioned. I mean in Knocked Up, they're so close that Alison lives with her sister Debbie (Leslie Mann) and brother-in-law Pete (Paul Rudd), but in This is 40, she's gone and not even mentioned? I mean maybe she moved away, but would they really pretend she doesn't exist? In the movie, we meet Debbie's father, and learn about her childhood, still no mention of her sister, Alison. Kind of weird. But, despite this, it's a funny movie. It is slightly long, but never slow or boring. Has a good amount of R-rated-ness for those that like their comedies a little less squeaky clean and a bit more adult. Expand
  61. Dec 26, 2012
    This movie is funny but ultimately bland and pointless. At least 45 minutes of the film (which never really goes anywhere, or has any sort of plot) could be cut out and the same message will still be gleaned. Fans of Knocked Up may enjoy this, but otherwise it is a mediocre romantic comedy.
  62. Dec 25, 2012
    This is 40 was hilarious. In my New York cinema on Christmas Day the crowd started laughing from the first line and didn't stop til the end. Metacritic can make you doubt the wisdom of critics sometimes; this was easily the most enjoyable film I saw all year (other than Brooklyn Castle). Go see it - and stay for the credits.
  63. Dec 24, 2012
    If you aren't laughing throughout this movie, then you are either not being honest with yourself about what it means to be 40ish, or take yourself W-A-Y too seriously. This movie was like staring into the mirror. And yes, if you are 40ish, married, living in the 'burbs, with kids you have definitely had one or more of the conversations / situations depicted in the film. Judd Apatow has aIf you aren't laughing throughout this movie, then you are either not being honest with yourself about what it means to be 40ish, or take yourself W-A-Y too seriously. This movie was like staring into the mirror. And yes, if you are 40ish, married, living in the 'burbs, with kids you have definitely had one or more of the conversations / situations depicted in the film. Judd Apatow has a knack for portraying comic honesty in real life. Judd Apatow's filmmaking seems to capture the basic flaw in Gen X, many of us lack some basic maturity. His films show us the reality of our stunted lives and make us laugh heartily. Congratulations to an accomplished filmmaker. Expand
  64. Dec 24, 2012
    This movie offers truth, big laughs, and theories on what makes relationships so difficult to maintain in the modern world. The old saying "familiarity breeds contempt" could not be more true in most marriages and in these character's lives. I laughed almost every scene and so did the other four people with me. We all came out very surprised by how good it was. I would see it again.This movie offers truth, big laughs, and theories on what makes relationships so difficult to maintain in the modern world. The old saying "familiarity breeds contempt" could not be more true in most marriages and in these character's lives. I laughed almost every scene and so did the other four people with me. We all came out very surprised by how good it was. I would see it again. Although I would say Silver Linings Playbook is the funniest movie of the year, this is a close second. I would actually go see this again before I saw Silver Linings again. Because I understand these characters, I know these characters, most of us are these characters. Go see it, sit back and relax, and laugh. Expand
  65. Dec 22, 2012
    This is classic Apatow-very funny and very naughty.Rudd and Mann make a good couple and the daughters are adorable.But Apatow needs to learn that sometimes less is more as this movie would have been better at 105 minutes than it is at 130 minutes.As funny as it is it seems very long for a comedy.
  66. Dec 22, 2012
    Overall this is an enjoyable and funny movie. It hit the comedic mark in many moments and was not a rehash of other films of this genre. But it was uneven and slow at times.
  67. Dec 22, 2012
    Overall, not bad. Many criticisms the critics brought up are valid. It's long, tonally uneven, some of the comic bits fall flat, etc. I feel like it had great potential to either be a hilarious comedy or a touching drama, but instead, it feels like two different movies awkwardly sewn together, instead of a seamless, singular whole; the comedic elements undermine the dramatic scenes, andOverall, not bad. Many criticisms the critics brought up are valid. It's long, tonally uneven, some of the comic bits fall flat, etc. I feel like it had great potential to either be a hilarious comedy or a touching drama, but instead, it feels like two different movies awkwardly sewn together, instead of a seamless, singular whole; the comedic elements undermine the dramatic scenes, and vice versa. If you walk in the theater from a critical standpoint, you'll probably be left feeling disappointed, but if you approach it from a more casual standpoint, you'll find lots to enjoy. While the movie intermittently made me laugh and feel, it could have easily been a much better film if it committed to either comedy or drama. Also, they spoil the ending of Lost, so I'm subtracting an additional point off of my score. Yes, some of us still haven't finished watching that show. Expand

1. Reviewed by: David Hughes
    Feb 11, 2013
    With his fourth film as writer-director, Judd Apatow has arguably made his most personal film yet, without forgetting to make us laugh.
  2. Reviewed by: Matt Mueller
    Jan 11, 2013
    Apatow's return creates a pleasantly sprawling, perceptive study of mid-life angst that never lacks for laughs. Promoting Rudd and Mann from Knocked Up's margins to centre stage proves to be a shrewd move.
  3. Reviewed by: Henry Barnes
    Dec 21, 2012
    It's not bad, exactly – but it is boring and very rarely funny. This is laboured. This is aimless. This Is 40. It's really quite a grind.