Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: February 17, 2012
6.0
Mixed or average reviews based on 169 Ratings
WATCH NOW
SwarleyStinsonMay 4, 2012
This film might have been good if it was a lot shorter. It takes half an hour for the actual premise to even start but even once it does, the only good parts with the 2 agents competing/fighting are the ones in the trailer and rest is justThis film might have been good if it was a lot shorter. It takes half an hour for the actual premise to even start but even once it does, the only good parts with the 2 agents competing/fighting are the ones in the trailer and rest is just RomCom-y dating scenes. There is also some scenes of them hunting down some guy for their actual CIA jobs and they are just a an annoying and pointless distraction. Its not funny enough to be a comedy, and it doesn't have enough action to be an action comedy so its basically just a bad Rom Com. Expand
MrMovieBuffOct 30, 2015
Another one of those movies where three fine actors; Reese Witherspoon, Chris Pine and Tom Hardy end up becoming victims of a dumb comedy movie with a ridiculous plot that seems to get more ridiculous as the movie's run time goes on.

There

There are some really unfunny moments here, I don't even know where to begin as to how unfunny it is.

The premise mainly follows two detectives, Chris Pine and Tom Hardy, coincidentally dating the same woman, Reese Witherspoon. They both do whatever they can to make sure that neither of them has the chance to go out with her.

Both Pine and Hardy do share some terrific chemistry as two guys who grow jealous of each other.

The two men stop at nothing to try and impress, but at the same time make Witherspoon feel disgusted at either of them.

I rarely laughed here, the comedy is dry, the premise is unrealistically bad and the movie itself is just plain pointless. I guess you could give it the benefit of the doubt that most comedies have ridiculous plots, but when they make it believable, it works. Not here, though.
overpavementFeb 19, 2012
Obviously, if a movie is directed by someone called 'McG', it's going to be terrible. The sad thing is, once again the male characters are too dumb and weak for Reese Witherspoon's character. In 'How Do You Know', she chose a limp, muggingObviously, if a movie is directed by someone called 'McG', it's going to be terrible. The sad thing is, once again the male characters are too dumb and weak for Reese Witherspoon's character. In 'How Do You Know', she chose a limp, mugging Paul Rudd, and it pushed a movie that was already in trouble over the cliff. Here, the two guys are clearly more attracted to each other than they are to any woman, so the story makes no sense. And the conversations between Witherspoon and Chelsea Handler are just sad. Two smart women who can't talk about a single thing besides men. It's loud, incoherent, humorless, predictable, dumb, and bad. Other than that, it's still not very good. Expand
Schmit93Mar 14, 2012
McG is a poor mans Michael Bay, which is pretty damn bad. If you don't see the ending coming from a mile away, you must be slow. Predictable, unfunny and for an "action rom-com" the action is pretty **** and the comedy is lacking, only thingMcG is a poor mans Michael Bay, which is pretty damn bad. If you don't see the ending coming from a mile away, you must be slow. Predictable, unfunny and for an "action rom-com" the action is pretty **** and the comedy is lacking, only thing is the "romance" which seems to be more of a "bro-mance" if anything. No chemistry between either lead male and Reese. Train wreck, but no where near as bad as any Adam Sandler movie from last year. Expand
jurrabiMar 18, 2012
Giving a 9 or a 10 to this movie takes away the credit of that user.

Something isn't a 10 because "this movie is exactly what it promises to be". If that was the norm a ten should be the score for a movie entitled "the worst movie ever"...
Giving a 9 or a 10 to this movie takes away the credit of that user.

I can agree with a 6 or even a 7 if you were entertained by it... But a 9 or a 10 is for "the best movies in your opinion"... Is, for anyone that commented here, this the case of this movie?

Please... help others decide when commenting.
rydermusicJul 20, 2013
With Reese Witherspoon and Tom Hardy in the worse shape, This Means War is a idiot film with a frightening lack of humor and one of the worst action-comedy of all time.
madhatter868Feb 23, 2012
I think if you want a predictable, goofy spy/love film that runs a little too long then I think this film would be enjoyable. However, I must admit this was a mistake for myself, but seen as I can only review how I felt, here it goes. TheI think if you want a predictable, goofy spy/love film that runs a little too long then I think this film would be enjoyable. However, I must admit this was a mistake for myself, but seen as I can only review how I felt, here it goes. The opening scene is rather good, a lot of nice action and explosions but it is a downwards spiral from there. The characters were underdeveloped and the plot a little ridiculous, but this movie was never claiming to have award winning potential. Made for valentine's day this one, and even at that when you don't want your brain to be used or simply to pass time when you have nothing else to do. 3/10 Expand
Pb200Apr 17, 2012
Total crap. It only earns points because there was a little bit of comedy every now and then. But horrible otherwise. Acting was so fake in the movie.20/100
NerdConsultantDec 29, 2014
This Means War is one of the most poorly concived and poorly made films in recent memory even for a romantic comedy. tom hardy is really out of place and chris pine and reese witherspoon do not give their best performances by a long shot.This Means War is one of the most poorly concived and poorly made films in recent memory even for a romantic comedy. tom hardy is really out of place and chris pine and reese witherspoon do not give their best performances by a long shot. it's clear this was reedited to within a inch of it's life and none of it helps the terrible slightly sinister story, awful characters and worthless action sequences Expand
MattBrady99Mar 13, 2015
I'm so happy that Tom Hardy and Chris Pine still have a career after this movie, because this almost ruining their acting career's, well to me it did.

This Means War is about these two deadly CIA operatives are inseparable partners and best friends until they fall for the same woman. Having once helped bring down entire enemy nations, they are now employing their incomparable skills and an endless array of high-tech gadgetry against their greatest nemesis ever - each other.

The one thing I always hate about these brain dead action comedy movies, is the fact that the action and comedy itself isn't well done and it feels out of place. Well what am I expecting from the same director who previously bought us Ouija, Terminator Salvation and 3 Days To Kill. If you haven't guess yet I hated this movie.

This Means War unsettle me in so many wrong ways. The all film feels like it was written by a 13 year old boy who loves action films and was a big fan of Chris Pine and Tom Hardy, and also a fan of boobs, explosions and simply turning off you're brain and just take whatever is on the screen. This is the time were my job feels like living torture.

The director of the film "McG" who's the best example to show to young film maskers out there of what not to do or what to avoid making a film, because this guy can't even directed action or even a good movie. Every shot looks cheap, lazy and uninspiring.

The writing in this movie is... AWFUL!. Every time a character says something that suppose to be charming or cool comes off painful and extremely cliche to the point where I wanted to punch my TV screen to end the movie quicker. Dialogue is the most important thing to have in movies, and yeah in silent movies you didn't hear people talking, but you sawed the letters of dialogue on the screen and their lips moving, but when your main problem is the dialogue in you're film, you're movie is going nowhere.

These one scene in this movie where Tom Hardy and Chris Pine meet with Reese Witherspoon character. At one point she couldn't decide who's better in bed, Hardy or Pine. So she has this big drama you know the crying and the running away to cry somewhere else. Now right they you can clearly see that the film wants me to care about her character and I simply don't, she's a freaking whore and deserves lots of pain, because she dated two guys at once, cheating on them and can't decide who's better in bed and she only pick one of them who's good at sex. Do you know why I hate this character and I will pay good money to see Captain Kirk and Bane teaming up to ruining this women life.

Overall This Means War is terribly cliche with a weak finale and a awful screenplay. Nobody should waste their time with this film because it's just not worth it.