7.4

1. Nov 8, 2013
    Thor 2 is a huge improvement over Thor 1. Everything about this movie excelled my expectations, The action is truly epic, its a lot more brutal and darker. the Villain was done properly!! finally Marvel!! Malekeith is brutal, heartless, and a force to be reckon with, his personal bodyguard gave Thor some much needed challenge. Loki is brilliant as always, the movie rarely slows down andThor 2 is a huge improvement over Thor 1. Everything about this movie excelled my expectations, The action is truly epic, its a lot more brutal and darker. the Villain was done properly!! finally Marvel!! Malekeith is brutal, heartless, and a force to be reckon with, his personal bodyguard gave Thor some much needed challenge. Loki is brilliant as always, the movie rarely slows down and the action has a great pace, it has some cheesy moments with awkward humor, but does not distract from the overall experience. Thor uses all his powers and the effects are superb. DO NOT MISS THE BEGINNING CREDITS AND THE POST CREDITS SCENES.

PS: dat shape shifting cameo, genius
  2. Nov 11, 2013
    A crammed cinema-going for the weekend is a belated diversion since not too much going on for the past month in the burgeoning Chinese market. The chapter one THOR (2011, 5/10) and the mega-amalgam THE AVENGERS (2012, 5/10) didn’t lure me into Thor’s fan base, but this sequel does boost the franchise’s morals by further intermingling the epic apocalypse between the vast Gods’ realm and theA crammed cinema-going for the weekend is a belated diversion since not too much going on for the past month in the burgeoning Chinese market. The chapter one THOR (2011, 5/10) and the mega-amalgam THE AVENGERS (2012, 5/10) didn’t lure me into Thor’s fan base, but this sequel does boost the franchise’s morals by further intermingling the epic apocalypse between the vast Gods’ realm and the puny but ego-maniacal earth, saw it in its over-charged 3D version (nearly impossible to find a 2D screening nearby), THOR: THE DARK WORLD is a massive crowd-pleaser, terrific art production and the trappings of a Marvel vehicle, shrewdly fictionalizes the love-and-hatred bromance between Thor and Loki, which is much hyped as the dominant draw for this action-packed escapade.

There is darkness before the birth of the universe, so as to against the plot of Malekith (Eccleston) to utilize an amorphous weapon called Aether to set the universe back into pitch-blackness, Thor (Hemsworth) has to team up with Loki (Hiddleston) to rescue his earth girlfriend Jane (Portman) who has been infected by Aether and being pursed by Malekith and his toadies, notably, a mutated fiend Algrim (Akinnuoye-Agbaje).

Whiling the most entertaining part comes the polarized tenors of the Asgard kingdom and the contemporary earth, one is solemn, majestic, atavistic and Shakespearean (thanks to Kenneth Branagh for setting the tone in THOR 2011) and the other (this time the locale is an overcast London) is glossy, modern, farcical and doomed to be pulverized. The spectacles are generally gratifying and on a par with the earlier IRON MAN 3 (2013, 6/10) to say the least.

Wonderful comic relief from the earthbound trio, Dennings, Skarsgård and Howard plus a surprising cameo by O’Dowd. Hemsworth and Portman are predictably playing the hero and his fearless girlfriend-in-danger default while Hiddleston easily grabs all the attention by influencing meatier character development, more ambiguous in his stance and a timely twist in the end can suffice to ignite fans’ passion to the next installment, or maybe a Loki-based spin-off which will be more intriguing and anti-trend in its own way. By any means it is a solid sequel which inherits the merits from its predecessor and put more verve into its gods vs. mortals contradiction, director Alan Taylor has well handled a hot potato, next step, sit and wait for CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER (2014) coming this upcoming April.
  3. Nov 11, 2013
    It has to be hard for the people making these phase two movies to make a movie that works as both a sequel to a previous movie, and as a follow-up to the avengers which is exactly the problem that I had with iron man 3. The Dark World however is a perfect example of how that can be done right with a good story, a cool villain (in my opinion), a lot of jokes (maybe a bit to many) andIt has to be hard for the people making these phase two movies to make a movie that works as both a sequel to a previous movie, and as a follow-up to the avengers which is exactly the problem that I had with iron man 3. The Dark World however is a perfect example of how that can be done right with a good story, a cool villain (in my opinion), a lot of jokes (maybe a bit to many) and awesome action scenes. The cast is given a bit more to do this time around especially character like Frigga and Heimdall, but the standout here is obviously Loki. My only complaints are that it's a bit too short and the plot doesn't really get going until about halfway in. Still, this is a great movie and a fantastic addition to the MCU. P.S. Remember to stay after the credits! Expand
  4. Nov 9, 2013
    To be perfectly honest a lot of the first half of this movie left me lost and not caring to know too much of what was going on, especially as the dark elves and their plans for world/universal destruction seemed more of a requirement rather than a plot with real motivation behind it.

But all throughout the movie there's plenty of humor, Natalie Portman is a far better superhero love interest than Iron Man's Pepper Potts and when push comes to shove, Thor in action does remind me a lot of Superman (not just because of the cape). That's a personal preference of mine but the character and the movie stand on their own merit mainly because of the second half of the movie where the action is pretty well done and holds your interest.

Not a fan of the shock/twist ending with Loki. Thought the ending would have been better with him left to the fate we all thought he succumbed to.

But still, a good movie and a far better follow up to the first Thor than Iron Man 2 was to the first in that series.
  5. Nov 17, 2013
    Better Than The First Thor Due to A Engaging Plot, Fun Characters, Humor, Action, SFX, And More but One Thing I Though Was A Little Eh Is The Shoehorned Side-Plot Of Darcy And Ian (Her Intern).
  6. Nov 8, 2013
    A very fun and high energy movie. Kat Dennings and Tom Hiddleston is what really made the movie. Dennings gave such a great comic relief and glad that she has more presence than the first movie. Hiddleston as Loki is the best casting, I don't really think anyone can do better.
  7. Nov 12, 2013
    I'm not sure why the critics reviewed this poorly, maybe I'm missing the point but this movie had everything you'd come to expect from a great Marvel adventure. Great twists, "did that REALLY just happen" moments, fantastic action, humour, top notch visual effects and Asgard looks more impressive than ever. Ok, some of the acting is a little weak in parts but that's more than made up forI'm not sure why the critics reviewed this poorly, maybe I'm missing the point but this movie had everything you'd come to expect from a great Marvel adventure. Great twists, "did that REALLY just happen" moments, fantastic action, humour, top notch visual effects and Asgard looks more impressive than ever. Ok, some of the acting is a little weak in parts but that's more than made up for by the rest. Expand
  8. Nov 12, 2013
    This movie was extremely well done especially considering it had to live up to its big brother, The Avengers. This movie was way more action packed and comedy filled than the first one. In the beginning it did admittedly seem to drag on but at the 35 minute it began to really hit home. Personally I'm more of a Loki fan myself and anyone agreeing with me does get a fair share of Loki inThis movie was extremely well done especially considering it had to live up to its big brother, The Avengers. This movie was way more action packed and comedy filled than the first one. In the beginning it did admittedly seem to drag on but at the 35 minute it began to really hit home. Personally I'm more of a Loki fan myself and anyone agreeing with me does get a fair share of Loki in this movie, supplying lots of comic relief and even some parody! I recommend anyone that enjoys action movies such as The Avengers, Iron Man or even Hulk to to go see Thor right away. Expand
  9. Nov 7, 2014
    Derivative as it is, a charismatic cast, witty dialogue and Loki saves Thor: The Dark World from being just a gala of special effects destroying the universe.
  10. Nov 9, 2013
    Went to see this with my family and we all absolutely loved it. My Dad is not a fan of superhero movies but he really enjoyed this and was totally surprised and pleased with the incredible quality and intelligence of it.

Has a perfect balance of action and intelligent dialogue, the serious with humour, the celestial with family. A wonderful addition to the Marvel film universe and my favourite so far. A must see for anyone who wants to see a quality film you can watch and enjoy again and again.

You can really tell just how much hard work and effort has been put into this film to make it the best it can be thought the whole of the film. The story is gripping and well told, the dialogue in every scene whether serious or funny is wonderful, the acting is superb, all the characters are interesting, believable and compelling. The locations and are just stunning!

I can not praise this film enough, a must see film!!!
  11. Nov 8, 2013
    Thor 2 is a massive improvement over Thor. be It the Story Acting Action or even the Direction the Highlight of the Movie is the Chemistry Between Thor n Loki. Loved the Scenes between Loki n His Mom. the Movie is Action Packed. It has enough Humor n Seriousness packed in this one.
    The only Flaw is that the Movie starts a bit Slow. Better than expected 9/10
  12. Nov 8, 2013
    This movie was amazing. The scale of the worlds was immense and the effects were amazing. The plot was also fantastic. Loki, as always, steals the show. But to be honest, the best part of the movie was the after credits scene. SPOILER ALERT: It contains a reference to the infinity stones, referring to the tesseract and the aether as two of the six. If you're a Marvel fan, then you'll be asThis movie was amazing. The scale of the worlds was immense and the effects were amazing. The plot was also fantastic. Loki, as always, steals the show. But to be honest, the best part of the movie was the after credits scene. SPOILER ALERT: It contains a reference to the infinity stones, referring to the tesseract and the aether as two of the six. If you're a Marvel fan, then you'll be as giddy as a little school girl. Expand
  13. Nov 15, 2013
    I don't know why the movie was critiqued so harshly, but the movie was amazing. It was very funny, emotional at times, and had epic action sequences; I had blast watching it.
  14. Nov 8, 2013
    Tonight, not even the gods are safe as Thor: The Dark World debuts in theaters. The second chapter (third if you count Avengers) of Thor’s story, The Dark World is by no means a perfect movie, but it really doesn’t need to be: It’s tremendously fun and eminently worthwhile, warts and all. If you’re already a Thor fan courtesy of either the comics or the first film, it’s a safe bet thatTonight, not even the gods are safe as Thor: The Dark World debuts in theaters. The second chapter (third if you count Avengers) of Thor’s story, The Dark World is by no means a perfect movie, but it really doesn’t need to be: It’s tremendously fun and eminently worthwhile, warts and all. If you’re already a Thor fan courtesy of either the comics or the first film, it’s a safe bet that you’ll enjoy The Dark World. Thor, at its best, has always blended epic gravitas with humor, so prepare to laugh a lot. It’s a tradition that The Dark World embraces enthusiastically, from the awkward culture clash of inserting a Norse god into modern America to an epic battle that plays out like a mix between a boss level from the video game Portal and a Dungeons & Dragons teleport puzzle, and even an unexpected Chris Evans cameo as Captain America (sort of). The silver lining, of course, is more Loki. Tom Hiddleston is justifiably the break-out star of the last several years of Marvel movies, and his performance as the embittered trickster god in The Dark World is his best yet. We saw Loki begin to fray in Thor and unravel across Avengers; now, returned to Asgard and incarcerated for what is meant to be eternity, he clings to arrogant indifference over a profound pathos that surfaces only during a visit from an illusory projection of Frigga though whether she’s a projection of Loki’s actual adopted mother or a figment of his own conjuring is never clear. As this is a Marvel movie, you probably already know to stick around through the credits for a bonus scene. The Dark World has not one but two stingers the first after the film ends, and the second after the credits finish rolling and it’s worth sticking around for both of them. If you’re a long-time comic reader, the second’s got a cameo on par with the reveal of the villain Thanos after Avengers. Thor: The Dark World may be a bumpy ride, but it gets its hero where he needs to go from Prince of Asgard to hero of Earth with grace, humor, and a lot of heart. It’s not perfect, but it doesn’t have to be: It’s awesome. Expand
  15. Nov 9, 2013
    I loved Thor 2 and so did the rest of my family it had some very very funny moments,Loki's scenes were all brilliant and the acting throughout was top notch and make sure you stay for the after credits scene!!! It sets up for the next films perfectly and I can't wait for the next marvel movies! Make mine marvel!:)
  16. Nov 10, 2013
    Even if Thor 2 is not as god as the first one, it still one of the most entertaining movie of the year. Spectacular visuals and engrossing action mixed with mediocre plot and week villains.
  17. Nov 8, 2013
    Very entertaining. Lots of good action and decent effects. Don't expect much from the 3D, in that respect it was rather disappointing. But that money-making gimmick aside, it was a rousing effort. I've heard some complain about the lack of depth in the movie's villain, and a plot that didn't score high marks in the complexity department. I think most of us knew we weren't watchingVery entertaining. Lots of good action and decent effects. Don't expect much from the 3D, in that respect it was rather disappointing. But that money-making gimmick aside, it was a rousing effort. I've heard some complain about the lack of depth in the movie's villain, and a plot that didn't score high marks in the complexity department. I think most of us knew we weren't watching "Tinker,Tailor,Soldier,Spy". I think the movie could have benefited from a brief crossover with another superhero, but that aside, I definitely give it one hammer up. Expand
  18. Nov 8, 2013
    The first Thor movie was good but the problem i had with that movie was that we barely saw Thor in action. So i was hopping Thor 2 would show more of Thor in action. And it did! Very action packed movie, good humor, dialog between Thor and Looki is excellent and the ending is awesome!!
  19. Nov 8, 2013
    Thor: The Dark World is packed with brilliant dialogue and humour throughout. The story itself expands greatly on the various characters previously met along with introducing a couple new ones. A brilliant film and a must watch to anyone who enjoyed the first film.
  20. Nov 9, 2013
    Better than the first. It achieved what this movie was suppose to achieve. A comic book come to life on the big screen. I see a lot of preening from critics about the plot, and lack of human involvement other then fillers, but what why are watching a marvel movie.

You want a story about the human condition, or struggle? watch one of those indie slop fests. You can cry and then go out and protest about something. I didn't go to see this movie, like transformers nor say a jason vorhees movie to see if the daft people live, or survive, or what struggles they have. I showed up to see the stars of those movies shine.

Your favorite comic on the big screen. Nuff said. Enjoyed it more then that snooze fest man of steel.
  21. Nov 9, 2013
    Thor: The Dark World is a step up from the first one! I might be of the very few who enjoyed the first film and the sequel surely delivers more action. Though the storyline is a bit complicated and with a post credits scene that will leave people scratching their heads, it's still great fun to watch. Lots of laughs throughout the movie and a twist here and there. The acting is topThor: The Dark World is a step up from the first one! I might be of the very few who enjoyed the first film and the sequel surely delivers more action. Though the storyline is a bit complicated and with a post credits scene that will leave people scratching their heads, it's still great fun to watch. Lots of laughs throughout the movie and a twist here and there. The acting is top notch, especially from Tom Hiddleston as Loki. Another great outing for Marvel at the movies. Expand
  22. Nov 19, 2013
    Thor 2 is possibly the best MCU movie aside from Avengers itself (possibly tied with Iron Man 1). It is a fantastic solo movie that focuses on Thor and Asgard while also allowing for the existence of the rest of the MCU, unlike Iron Man 3 where everything else was ignored as if it did not exist.
  23. Nov 12, 2013
    I guess this was the "Empire Strikes Back" edition of the Thor franchise due to the death scene and the twist ending. The movie started out poorly with one of the worse battle scenes I've seen for awhile, but when the bad guy comes back the film finally gets its groove. The humor, or attempted humor generally comes from the Character Darcy, played by Kat Dennings, who is the assistant ofI guess this was the "Empire Strikes Back" edition of the Thor franchise due to the death scene and the twist ending. The movie started out poorly with one of the worse battle scenes I've seen for awhile, but when the bad guy comes back the film finally gets its groove. The humor, or attempted humor generally comes from the Character Darcy, played by Kat Dennings, who is the assistant of the Natalie Portman character. I found her to be somewhat annoying rather than funny, and she certainly does not act like a normal person in dire situations. Still, the overall look of the film is excellent and once the film got into second gear I never got bored. Expand
  24. Nov 24, 2013
    Can't understand the critics. This is a very entertaining movie. Load of actions, stunning CGI effects, plot twists galore and funny moments. Can't ask for much more, except maybe Natalie Portman could act with more feelings. I thoroughly enjoyed it!
  25. Nov 24, 2013
    A fantastically great movie. If you've seen the original Thor, don't despair, this one's way better. If you liked the Avengers, this one topped it in my opinion phenomenal graphics and score, a great ensemble of characters, Loki (ye old norse gods, I love Loki!), smart dialog and the highest praise I personally can accord a movie internal logical consistency. Fine storytelling, someA fantastically great movie. If you've seen the original Thor, don't despair, this one's way better. If you liked the Avengers, this one topped it in my opinion phenomenal graphics and score, a great ensemble of characters, Loki (ye old norse gods, I love Loki!), smart dialog and the highest praise I personally can accord a movie internal logical consistency. Fine storytelling, some real puzzlers left for continuity, but no extreme and clumsy cliffhangering. I'd go see it again right now if I could. Go spoil yourselves, this is the movie to see this day and month... Expand
  26. Nov 15, 2013
    I found Thor: The Dark World to be a huge improvement over the first movie. Malekith is a believable villain, and he looks the part. But the real star in this film has to be Loki. Absolutely brilliant film and one of Marvel's better superhero flicks.
  27. Nov 11, 2013
    Thor: The Dark World is definitely one of the best superhero films I've ever seen. The cast, led by Chris Hemsworth and Natalie Portman, did a great job once again. Supporting actors Tom Hiddleston, Idris Elba, Kat Dennings, Jaimie Alexander, Anthony Hopkins, and so many more really are amazing. I've heard a lot of complaints about the pace being too quick and difficult to keep up with. MyThor: The Dark World is definitely one of the best superhero films I've ever seen. The cast, led by Chris Hemsworth and Natalie Portman, did a great job once again. Supporting actors Tom Hiddleston, Idris Elba, Kat Dennings, Jaimie Alexander, Anthony Hopkins, and so many more really are amazing. I've heard a lot of complaints about the pace being too quick and difficult to keep up with. My response? Don't take stupid people to see the movie. I honestly don't see how anyone would have trouble keeping up with the pace of the film. I thought the plot development was actually one of the stronger parts of the film. Another strong element was the humor. Like the first installment, there was a lot of situational humor. However, this movie took it to an entirely new level and didn't feel forced and out of place. Most of this is thanks to the aforementioned Kat Dennings and her unique comedic flair. Also, watch for the Captain America cameo for maybe the most humorous scene in the film. The action sequences were up to par with the rest of the movies, meaning they were epic. Natalie Portman is as breathtaking as ever and the rest of the supporting cast adds a combination of depth and humor. The only negative in the movie, and I'm really not sure if it's a fair one, is that I wanted more Lady Sif. I'm sorry but you have one of the most beautiful women in the world, who happens to be a fantastic actress, playing one of the most badass and intriguing roles in the movie and she's barely even relevant? You've gotta do better than that. Supposedly she originally had a more prominent role even creating somewhat of a love triangle but the studio ultimately decided to trim that back, essentially eliminating a large chunk of her screen time. After some thought I decided it didn't really "hurt" the film so I won't let it affect the rating but I would've liked liked to see her more. Hopefully we'll get that in the special features when it releases on blu-ray. Overall, I'd say this is probably the third best Avengers film yet, behind Iron Man and The Avengers. Hopefully they continue to deliver because they've got one helluva series going. Expand
  28. Nov 21, 2013
    Acting is great as usual. The dialogue is decent (Thor & Loki lines were awesome) though a bunch of the funny scenes/gags and lines seemed very forced and fell flat among the audience at the sold-out IMAX theater where I watched this film, but it does for the most part retain the humor that's prevalent in all the Marvel films. The overall action is decent, but only a couple of scenesActing is great as usual. The dialogue is decent (Thor & Loki lines were awesome) though a bunch of the funny scenes/gags and lines seemed very forced and fell flat among the audience at the sold-out IMAX theater where I watched this film, but it does for the most part retain the humor that's prevalent in all the Marvel films. The overall action is decent, but only a couple of scenes really impressed me that said there IS more action in this one than the last so that's a plus. Unsurprisingly, the special effects and the music score are fantastic and I'd say this film is worth seeing in IMAX. The plot on the other hand... well it seemed like it could've been improved more. That being said I did enjoy this movie and would recommend it if you like any of the other Marvel movies and if you liked the first Thor. Expand
  29. Nov 11, 2013
    After The Avengers we wanted something great, and what directory Alan Taylor shoots is a combination of action and comedy all into a sequence mixed with a little bit of awesomeness. Making Thor: The Dark World the next best installment into the Marvel universe mean while teasing us for the next installment. We want more!
  30. Nov 12, 2013
    I loved the first film and have been impressed to no end with the undertaking that Marvel Studios has taken with their shared cinematic universe. "Thor: The Dark World" is exciting, dramatic and, most of all, very funny. Once again Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston prove that they were born to play Thor and Loki and Christopher Eccleston shows that he can make it as a dark, forebodingI loved the first film and have been impressed to no end with the undertaking that Marvel Studios has taken with their shared cinematic universe. "Thor: The Dark World" is exciting, dramatic and, most of all, very funny. Once again Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston prove that they were born to play Thor and Loki and Christopher Eccleston shows that he can make it as a dark, foreboding villain in the Marvel universe as Malekith. From start to finish, I feel this sequel out-did the first movie and showed us exactly how comic book adaptations are suppose to be: Fun, action pack and full of larger than life characters. Expand
  31. Nov 11, 2013
    great movie not as good as 1st but better than iron man 3 the villain was kinda but loki was amazing comedy was good but kat dennings was really annoying
  32. Nov 17, 2013
    Thor: The Dark World is not going to win any Oscars. But it's a solid movie it builds well, Thor seems human for the first time, and the supporting cast is excellent. The pacing has been criticized, and I will admit that it's a slow build, but I can't think of any scenes I would have cut out.

Ultimately, it manages to be about more than explosions and set piece battles, and rises above Thor 1, Iron Man 2 and 3, the Avengers, and certainly the last two Superman flicks to be one of the better comic book movies I've seen.

Does it reach the heights of the new Batman movies? No. But it's sincere, and fun, and you'll walk out of the theater feeling good. And so far this year, that's been a rarity.
  33. Nov 11, 2013
    Spectacular! Marvel once again shows its power in a flawless blockbuster, has everything a good movie entertainment can introduce ourselves. The timing between actors and good script is the highlight of the film. And exploration of Asgard gave a special glow on the screen.
  34. Nov 11, 2013
    Having read some bad reviews, I wasn't expecting much. But the film surprised me; it was funny and touching and emotionally engaging, without going for the overblown melodrama that it sometimes threatened to sink into. The action here is darker Odin is crueler, Loki is angrier and more bitter, Thor too has difficulty accepting the mantle of kingship he is told to take up. The pace is aHaving read some bad reviews, I wasn't expecting much. But the film surprised me; it was funny and touching and emotionally engaging, without going for the overblown melodrama that it sometimes threatened to sink into. The action here is darker Odin is crueler, Loki is angrier and more bitter, Thor too has difficulty accepting the mantle of kingship he is told to take up. The pace is a constant, only pausing to breathe when Darcy (who, despite what some said, was near-perfect) or Ian the Intern had a Moment, or for moments of comedy that made the audience in my cinema laugh aloud. Loki and Thor, however, remain the fulcrum on which the whole film rests, and they do not disappoint. Loki sidles and wheedles and bites out sarcastic remarks, and Thor counters them as naturally as the brother he would to regain spits back. Malekith was brooding and serious (couldn't miss the nose, though) enough to fall the right side of "camp superhero villain".
    I was very, very impressed.
  35. Nov 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I loved this movie. It's Thor!! I love The Avengers and Thor is definitely one of my favorites. I also love Iron Man.

It starts when Loki is being put int he Asgard prison and Thor is in one of the nine realms fighting the dark elves. They are scary. Then on Earth Jane Foster finds the Aether and it goes inside her but this is what the dark elves need to destroy everything. It takes her to another place and Hemidall couldn't see her anymore so Thor got worried and went against his dad and came back to Earth to see her. He saw she was sick and took her back to Asgard to fix her. Thor's father is the king and he thinks that it was a bad idea to bring her there. The elves show up on Asgard to get the Aether back and start a big fight with all the people on Asgard. It is a bad fight and during the fight Thor loses his mother. I was very sad that his mother died. She was really nice to Jane and was a good fighter. Thor is mad and comes up with a plan to trick the elves and talks with his trusted friends. He then gets Loki out of prison. There was a funny part when Loki was walking with Thor and turned into Captain America. I liked that. Then they take Jane back to the dark elves planet. Thor and Loki get into a huge fight. I was really upset at first when Loki and Thor were fighting on the dark planet, and then Loki chopped off Thor's hand. I was mad at Loki. But then it turns out to be an illusion and then I was better. But then during the fight Loki get killed and Thor gets very mad. Thor takes Jane into a cave and Jane suddenly gets a phone call from the guy she had dinner with. Jane figures out how to get back to Earth and she and Thor go back and meet up with Dr. Erik Selvig, Darcy, the intern, and the elves that they fight. The big fight was cool and things kept disappearing and appearing. It was a huge war and Thor wins! Thor decided to give up being a king because he really loves Jane and then something happens but my mom said I'm not allowed to tell it.

If you watch the scene carefully the guard from Asgard that is on the dark planet has a strange green glow and it means something but I'm not supposed to tell you it's about Loki. There is also a part when Thor has his shirt off and I think everyone watching liked that part. There is also more after the credits start so stay and watch those.

My favorite characters were Thor and Loki.
  36. Nov 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Thor: The Dark World is a sequel that it's prequel is truly not worthy of. This movie is very entertaining, and had me on the edge of my seat the whole time! The only downside towards the movie was the attack scene on Asgard in the climax of the movie involving the Dark Elves and their spaceships. That one scene left such a bad taste in my mouth that I thought that the rest of the movie would be as bad, but it's not. This movie is one of the very few movies that can actually surprise me with it's story, and it went ahead to do so several time. There's plenty of humor, but it's appropriate for such a movie. A must-watch! Expand
  37. Nov 24, 2013
    What? There was a Thor 1 and 2? No way. What there was a Star Wars 1, 2, and a 3? Crazy world. Whatever bring on Guardians of the Galaxy. Dark world is a great addition to the tapestry that Marvel has been building with Disney money. There is that enough words?
  38. Nov 29, 2013
    Really good movie. I preferred it to the first Thor for sure. Honestly, I think this is one of the better superhero movies I have seen. Tom Hiddleston was fantastic as Loki, as were Chris Hemsworth and Natalie Portman in their roles. Overall, a really well acted and well directed sequel that really does a good job moving the series forward. Also, it was extremely funny, which was unexpected.
  39. Nov 10, 2013
    It's actually a considerable improvement over the original. I liked it quite a bit. The acting and plot were much more solid, and the writing was cohesive this time around. Thor is really not as interesting as the other Avengers, but this isn't terrible.
  40. Dec 5, 2013
    Coming from someone who didn't enjoy the first Thor film I think Thor: The Dark World is a huge step up. I wanted more Asgard (delivered). Natalie Portman has become a little unnecessary I don't know why Marvel seems to think all of the super heroes need a love interest just because they're now making movies but I found her kind of annoying. Also, can Loki get his own movie? Tom HiddlestonComing from someone who didn't enjoy the first Thor film I think Thor: The Dark World is a huge step up. I wanted more Asgard (delivered). Natalie Portman has become a little unnecessary I don't know why Marvel seems to think all of the super heroes need a love interest just because they're now making movies but I found her kind of annoying. Also, can Loki get his own movie? Tom Hiddleston is absolutely killing it!!! It's going to be fun to continue to see Thor develop and it's going to be even more fun to see what Loki does to spoil it. Expand
  41. Nov 10, 2013
    This movie was way better than it's predecessor. The plot was much more complex and developed. The action was good and the movie stayed somewhat unpredictable. Loki's part in the film was well put together and was significant. Jane Foster didn't seem as out of place in this one however it was definitely not perfect. The "bad guy" was kinda boring cause we didn't get to learn much aboutThis movie was way better than it's predecessor. The plot was much more complex and developed. The action was good and the movie stayed somewhat unpredictable. Loki's part in the film was well put together and was significant. Jane Foster didn't seem as out of place in this one however it was definitely not perfect. The "bad guy" was kinda boring cause we didn't get to learn much about him. The movie had clever lines that made you crack a smile but nothing outrageously funny. Expand
  42. Nov 9, 2013
    I was astonished by how much I enjoyed this movie. The first Thor movie was my least favorite of all the phase one "origin" movies, so I went into this expecting more of the same. I was so wrong! Between the jokes (and there were a lot of them) and the action, I was hooked throughout the entire movie. Of course there were some cheesy lines here and there, but that's expected in a MarvelI was astonished by how much I enjoyed this movie. The first Thor movie was my least favorite of all the phase one "origin" movies, so I went into this expecting more of the same. I was so wrong! Between the jokes (and there were a lot of them) and the action, I was hooked throughout the entire movie. Of course there were some cheesy lines here and there, but that's expected in a Marvel movie. Thor 2 ranks as my favorite Marvel movie to date, only behind the stellar Iron Man. Expand
  43. Nov 12, 2013
    The God of Thunder (Chris Hemsworth) is back to save the universe with his hammer (and some help from Loki). The plot is inconsequential and the dialogue is useless. It's all about the stunning visuals, magnificent art direction and cool sci-fi surprises. The pacing mostly moves (despite the slowish drama with Anthony Hopkins) and the action is big, but it's really about the fantasticThe God of Thunder (Chris Hemsworth) is back to save the universe with his hammer (and some help from Loki). The plot is inconsequential and the dialogue is useless. It's all about the stunning visuals, magnificent art direction and cool sci-fi surprises. The pacing mostly moves (despite the slowish drama with Anthony Hopkins) and the action is big, but it's really about the fantastic fantasy world and comic book spectacle. NOTE: Stay thru the end credits for the real ending. Expand
  44. Feb 8, 2014
    A big improvement over its predecessor. Great action sequences, an appreciated sense of humor, consistent pacing, and an interesting plot that ends on an exciting note. The performances were mostly competent, with Tom Hiddleston being the top of them all.

Another fine addition to the Marvel franchise.
  45. Nov 25, 2013
    It's fun like a really well done comic book. Renee Russo and Kat Dennings really made this movie fun. Now, if you could just somehow get Tom Hiddleston’s (Loki) acting talent into Chris Hemsworth's (Thor) body? THAT would be super!
  46. Nov 13, 2013
    Improved in every way from the acting to the special effects, No denying that Thor 2 is a good film. That being said, How good is it? I love Alan Taylor as the director. He is a huge improvement and while he may not put a personal twist on how he directs, He gives us a Thor film that makes us proud and I'd love to see him back for Thor 3. Christopher Eccleston was good as Malekith, theImproved in every way from the acting to the special effects, No denying that Thor 2 is a good film. That being said, How good is it? I love Alan Taylor as the director. He is a huge improvement and while he may not put a personal twist on how he directs, He gives us a Thor film that makes us proud and I'd love to see him back for Thor 3. Christopher Eccleston was good as Malekith, the main villain, but sadly Malekith didn't have as large of a role as I hoped he would. The rest of the cast, even Portman, were good.

The battle scenes, aside from the encounters Thor has with Malekith, didn't leave you in awe or captured the way a good comic book film does but they were still enjoyable. The plot is a bit too predictable as well, Often I could call things several minutes before they happened. However, I do love the ending because it leaves a wide opening for what Thor 3 can do plot-wise.

Overall, Thor 2 is a massive step forward of the trashy original and I would highly recommend seeing it because while slightly flawed, It's still worth watching.
  47. Nov 11, 2013
    there's only one word for it outstanding its major improvement over thor and its on par with iron man 3
    its has the best special effects used in a marvel film even better than the avengers.
  48. Nov 23, 2013
    Another highly entertaining Marvel movie, and that is what it is all about, quality entertainment. Please ignore the stuffy critical reviews, the movies that they do like are typically a good cure for insomnia. Lots of Asgardian action, amazing special effects and some big moments for the character Thor.
  49. Dec 2, 2013
    This is an improvement over the first Thor movie, better than the battle in desert one-horse town from the first one. Content got a little vague at the end, but I can forgive that considering the enjoyment versus the first installment. Worth seeing.
  50. Dec 19, 2013
    After disappointing iron man 3 and terrible wolverine i didn't expect much from franchiser but gladly thor proved me wrong.Movie is funny and had a good story and amazing 3D effects.Acting is up to the standard and film really build the momentum to Avengers 2.They present big lie in a scientific way so its almost felt like real. kat dennings look so pretty and so funny.
  51. Feb 4, 2014
    totally unexpected really enjoyed it. Funny at times and lots of action, drags slightly near the end but certainly not enough to spoil it. Overall I was pleasantly surprised. Roll on Thor 3
  52. Nov 17, 2013
    Featuring some solid direction, set pieces, and storytelling, "Thor: The Dark World" marks yet another worthy entry into the already expansive Marvel/Disney dynasty.
  53. Jan 3, 2014
    The sequel to the mediocre movie Thor. It's an improvement.
    Most things are pretty much the same the acting is satisfactory, the plot is satisfactory, the dialogue is satisfactory, the characters are satisfactory. But the one change is that the acting scenes have been reduced (by the target audiences demand for explosions)
    to blundering B-movie like smashes and punches which remind me of
    The sequel to the mediocre movie Thor. It's an improvement.
    to blundering B-movie like smashes and punches which remind me of the cheesy 1960's Batman fights and have about as much intelligence as a mouldy cheese sandwich.
    Fortunately the witty, and surprisingly British, humor saves the potentially failed movie. I think I laughed more in Thor The Dark World than I did in Napoleon Dynamite (which I did like), Chris O'Dowd even turns up a few times to provide some comic relief from the brainless antics going on between Thor and Malektih who is played brilliantly but unrecognisably by Christopher Ecclestone.
    While the action scenes were a step down I enjoyed Thor The Dark World more than the first movie and do recommend it due to the clever writing and strong effective humor.
  54. Nov 10, 2013
    The first Thor film was a fun popcorn movie and Thor The Dark World was even more fun. I didn't read comic books growing up but for those who did I can get why they would be so invested. I don't go to movies based on comic books expecting they are going to turn into academy award winning movies. The Dark Knight, and Heath Ledger, were exceptions. I saw Thor and it's sequel because theyThe first Thor film was a fun popcorn movie and Thor The Dark World was even more fun. I didn't read comic books growing up but for those who did I can get why they would be so invested. I don't go to movies based on comic books expecting they are going to turn into academy award winning movies. The Dark Knight, and Heath Ledger, were exceptions. I saw Thor and it's sequel because they looked fun and they were. They're good popcorn movies. In a lot of movies the dialogue can come across like the actors don't know what they're doing, but not here. There's not a bad performance in this movie. Hemsworth and especially Hiddleston rise above what they are given. It was also nice to see Kat Dennings given more to do. The critics need to lighten up. They take themselves way too seriously sometimes. It would be nice if they realized that a lot of us go to the movies to just have some fun. Expand
  55. Nov 15, 2013
    This is a real solid superhero film and an overall better film than the first. To me Thor has been the toughest of the superhero's to get on board with mainly because the villains besides Loki are just not that interesting, but seeing more of Thor in action with a real good script made for a pleasant surprise. B+
  56. Nov 10, 2013
    Marvel was right. Marvel was right every time. No one knows how to make a movie with a marvel super hero like Marvel. This movie is awesome, epic and totally right. Chris Hemsworth is amazing. Tom Hiddleston is the better God ever. Natalie Portman keeps wonderful and beatiful. I would like to marry this woman. PERFECT MOVIE.
  57. Nov 21, 2013
    I already enjoyed watching Thor 1 and thought Thor: The Dark World was even better. Yes, there are some points especially about the time between the two movies that don't get explained enough, but the movie was good enough to let you look past this "minor" flaw. There have been some of that typical funny "Thor does not belong into this world" moments and the story was interesting toI already enjoyed watching Thor 1 and thought Thor: The Dark World was even better. Yes, there are some points especially about the time between the two movies that don't get explained enough, but the movie was good enough to let you look past this "minor" flaw. There have been some of that typical funny "Thor does not belong into this world" moments and the story was interesting to follow. Loki again was a great character. Maybe not the deepest movie but definitely very entertaining. Expand
  58. Nov 25, 2013
    A great improvement over the first film in 2011. Thor The Dark World has better performances by Hemsworth and Hiddleston, better visuals and a much more fun atmosphere. I always look forward to Marvel films, as silly as they are and they are all flawed, they are always great fun and this was no exception.
  59. Nov 9, 2013
    I thought it was great! it had humor, series moments and action all combined into one! the ending was a bit unexpected though. but I did feel like it was missing something... I don't know what but something was missing.
  60. Nov 10, 2013
    I would say I definitely liked this movie better than the first one. The villain was nothing special, but everything else was great. Eric Selvig and Loki were both hilarious.
  61. Jan 2, 2014
    Though there is a lot of mindless action sequences and poorly written scenes, overall Thor: The Dark World delivers where the first one couldn't. This film feels more at ease and more like the Marvel comic it is based on, the weakness lies in the lack of depth of the myriad of characters and the satirical humour which struggles to be in the same vein as Joss Whedon.
  62. Nov 13, 2013
    Love the first film, loved the second more. Everything has improved, and I haven't a clue why anyone you give this lower than 7. High impact action and a compelling story. And its FANTASTIC to know there following there comics. Also, stay right to the end of the credits, its not funny, its for the story.
  63. Nov 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I didnt think it was as good as Thor 1, But still, fantastic movie. They over did with the humor But it didnt ruin the film. Definitely see it if you get a chance. Expand
  64. Nov 25, 2013
    Delivered on everything it needed to, but did little else. Just like Thor 1, Loki steals the show and any scene not including him falls a little flatter. The action sequences were well done and it had a couple jokes here and there. Overall, it is not a must see, but not a disappointment. Hopefully, the next Avengers will revive just a little more interest in these few franchises.
  65. Nov 28, 2013
  66. Nov 28, 2013
    A good, fun film. Not fantastic. Not incredible (Ironman was incredible). Good continuity, but I think characterizations were a bit off. The plot follows the comic book lore pretty well. So the problem for me were all the gags maybe one would have been enough. Thor trying to hang his hammer on a coat rack was a bit too much could have edited that one out. Hemsworth and Portman work wellA good, fun film. Not fantastic. Not incredible (Ironman was incredible). Good continuity, but I think characterizations were a bit off. The plot follows the comic book lore pretty well. So the problem for me were all the gags maybe one would have been enough. Thor trying to hang his hammer on a coat rack was a bit too much could have edited that one out. Hemsworth and Portman work well together and pave over the awkward moments. Would have liked a bit more development on the villain. Yeah... go see... enjoy. Expand
  67. Dec 9, 2013
    This is a very good action movie, the title is also good Thor The Dark World, the visual effect is also good as a real
    Actors and actresses in the film played very well
    costumes are also good and interesting
    in the film is not only tense adengan
    There adengan that makes people who watch it to laugh
    I think this is one of the best action films this year
  68. Dec 14, 2013
    Marvel are having a streak of good movies and this is no exception. It has all the elements, action, romance, comedy with a pinch of serious drama. However a few of these key elements are done slightly average, but we'll talk about that later. The story started on a high note for me. As a kid I loved the whole Asgardian lore, knowing that it actually had historical value I was a majorMarvel are having a streak of good movies and this is no exception. It has all the elements, action, romance, comedy with a pinch of serious drama. However a few of these key elements are done slightly average, but we'll talk about that later. The story started on a high note for me. As a kid I loved the whole Asgardian lore, knowing that it actually had historical value I was a major geek I still love it now. Initially, we see Thor's grandfather Bhor, who's fighting the dark elfs, led by Maleikith. Bhor wins by stealing the Aether, a device capable of mass destruction. After losing his ace, Maleikith go's into hiding, and Bhor hides the Aether in a place that NO ONE will find... Of course that lasts less than 30 minutes, resulting in Jane Foster hitting Thor in the face and the dark elfs awaken. And I'm glad they did!!! The action here is great!!! Game of Thrones and Asagardian legend is a match made in heaven! Credit to the director. The comedy is also on par with this standard. Darsey, Eric and Loki are brilliant, with Thor giving an acasional glimpse of humor. However the romance doesn't fare so well. It feels very forced, and there's no chemistry between the two. The villain follows the same route. Maleikith is very generic, stereotypical and we just simply don't see enough of him. Then thank god for Loki. Some of the best scences of the film contain Loki. He's perfectly played by Tom Hiddleston. He's got the charisma, the dark humor and the constant surprises. Thor The Dark World is disappointing in some respects, but is still an overall good film. Expand
  69. Jan 20, 2014
    I really really enjoyed this movie. Where the first Thor film was merely a funny action film, this movie takes on a more serious tone and the actors really deliver. Tom Hiddleston reprises his role as Loki and easily hits it out of the park, stealing a lot of Hemsworth's thunder. The only thing stopping this movie from being great is that it takes a long time to get going and fails toI really really enjoyed this movie. Where the first Thor film was merely a funny action film, this movie takes on a more serious tone and the actors really deliver. Tom Hiddleston reprises his role as Loki and easily hits it out of the park, stealing a lot of Hemsworth's thunder. The only thing stopping this movie from being great is that it takes a long time to get going and fails to capitalize at the end. Expand
  70. Dec 16, 2013
    With an Avenger cameo, Hiddleston and Hemsworth at their primes, Natalie Portman, Action and just the right amount of humor this film is probably third or second on the list of best Marvel movies!
  71. Dec 21, 2013
    The fact that the debate which Marvel superhero is the best since it has insured (for now): Thor. The movie is one of the best I saw in the year (the 8th in the Top 10 of the year). Tom Hiddleston Loki continues to surprise once more and the villain is not even reach the heels. The performances are incredible, the script a bit worn, but does like, the end and the doubts that leaves youThe fact that the debate which Marvel superhero is the best since it has insured (for now): Thor. The movie is one of the best I saw in the year (the 8th in the Top 10 of the year). Tom Hiddleston Loki continues to surprise once more and the villain is not even reach the heels. The performances are incredible, the script a bit worn, but does like, the end and the doubts that leaves you (clearly be resolved in any other Marvel film), the comedic moments will elicit a laugh. The only bad thing: a few minutes that means get bored. The finding: the cameo by Stan Lee and Chris Evans are very well prepared. Expand
  72. Jan 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The guy with the big hammer is back! He is still mostly the straight man in a story that mixes Shakespearian family drama with mythical mumbo-jumbo. Mind you, Thor (Chris Hemsworth) and his Asgardian kin are not Gods, because that could cause all sorts of controversy among the believers of various ‘legit’ religions. The movie takes the Lord of the Rings approach by throwing you right into an epic battle with explanatory voice-over. It introduces the movies villains economically, making no compromises to people who may need a moment to transition from their daily routine to this fantastical world. You’ll either have to go with it or just go.

In time, you do stop worrying about the plausibility and practical aspects of life in Asgard and the other realms. What becomes more of a problem is some really silly science being used on the earthbound side of the story. The mythical worlds are so far removed from reality that applying credibility seems inappropriate. But hanging a whole lot of gibberish pseudo-science off two fake-looking devices with a dubious-looking remote control and making the grand finale hinge on the vague workings of it, is annoying. Sure, I can understand that these doohickeys simply do what the script needs them to do, but they are such obvious plot devices that the lazy writing is hard to miss. The writers have some fun by playing around with the effect the thingamajigs cause, and even use it for some good comic relief, but it does throw you out of the story. The writers expose themselves too much as puppet masters.

Now, all this makes it sound like I didn’t have a good time watching Thor: The Dark World. But it is fun, in a cheesy, over-the-top kinda way. Most of the cast from the first movie is brought back in, including the great Tom Hiddleston as Loki, though I don’t quite like how the movie handles him. In-between this movie and The Avengers, he does seem to be spending an awful lot of time hanging around in a cell. And being a trickster, a character you can never get a handle on, he risks going from intriguing to boring in the end. Nathalie Portman is back as the love-interest, brought together ‘by fate’ according to Thor, though I’d say it was the script, working really hard to maneuver her into place. I like Portman in the role and it’s always a joy watching her slap people in the face. Her assistant Darcy Lewis (Kat Dennings) works well as the comic relief, though the funniest moment involves a very quick and unexpected cameo from one of Thor’s former comrades-in-arms. Idris Elba also returns, as gate-keeper Heimdall, a lot more well-known by now and still looking hot despite the colored lenses. I look forward to seeing him in the Mandela biopic.

The main problem with Thor: The Dark World is one of tone. Sometimes it takes itself very seriously, sometimes not at all. That can work if the comedy is in the dialogue and the interplay between characters. But as a viewer, you do want to feel that the writers are dedicated to telling a solid, well-thought out story and are not just having a laugh.

@PopCultJunk
  73. Jan 7, 2014
    If you walk into this movie for a great plot, your going for the wrong reason. If your going to this movie for fun action and great humor, your going for the right reason. This movie is everything that I wanted in Thor 1 and more. This movie is full of great action. The final fight between Malekeith and Thor is very creative and fun to watch. This movie is also hilarious! Even with a veryIf you walk into this movie for a great plot, your going for the wrong reason. If your going to this movie for fun action and great humor, your going for the right reason. This movie is everything that I wanted in Thor 1 and more. This movie is full of great action. The final fight between Malekeith and Thor is very creative and fun to watch. This movie is also hilarious! Even with a very funny Captain America cameo. Loki is probably the best character in the entire movie. I loved Loki in Thor 1 and especially in The Avengers. One thing that I don't like about the movie is the plot twist at the end, it felt kinda rushed. But overall this is an awesome movie that I would recommend to people who want to have a lot of fun in the theater. Expand
  74. Mar 8, 2014
    Another superb super-hero movie from Marvel. With plenty of action, humor, and likable characters this movie proves to be just as much of a good time as the first. With it's combination of sci-fi themes like spaceships and aliens with things like knights and sword battles, the movie comes across as some sort of combination between "Lord of the Rings" and "Star Wars" all wrapped up inAnother superb super-hero movie from Marvel. With plenty of action, humor, and likable characters this movie proves to be just as much of a good time as the first. With it's combination of sci-fi themes like spaceships and aliens with things like knights and sword battles, the movie comes across as some sort of combination between "Lord of the Rings" and "Star Wars" all wrapped up in super-hero movie.

The action scenes are over-the-top and well done. The plot manages to have a more serious tone than it's predecessor, but thankfully never comes off as melodramatic or whinny like some other Marvel movies have *cough* Iron Man 2 *cough*. Overall this is a very fun and very excellent movie. One that will most assuredly please fans of Thor and of Marvel movies.
  75. Jul 2, 2014
    Thor: The Dark World is a decent sequel to an amazing original. It's a bit too dark and tragedy ridden for it's own good, but the craft of the sci-fi world on offer here cannot be denied. Lasers, elves, giant space-ships and Loki... That's a recipe for a good time in my book!
  76. Nov 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film surprised the hell out of me! Is not like Thor was not a good movie, but this one took all the strongest points in the first one and it has improved them too much. What I liked the most: the scenarios as always perfect, really enjoyable in 3-D. The characters got a lot better, the improved the relationship between Thor and Loki really a lot, Thor does not trust Loki like he used to, is not blindly following him anymore. In the other hand, Loki had a believable reason to be by Thor's side this time, the loss of their mother, who was kind of the only one who shared a bond with Loki after the betrayal. Fridda surprised me way too much. The dramatic parts, and also the action were pretty well done. Overall I liked it way better than Thor 1, and a lot more than Avengers (I can't believe I'm actually comparing these 2). Expand
  77. Nov 11, 2013
    I'm really not sure why this is getting lower reviews. I think it builds upon what they built in the first film. Tom Hiddleston is excellent once again as Loki and Chris Hemsworth IS Thor.

Marvel has got the math down with their movies. They're fun, light, serious at times, but never too dark like WB does with their movies. Can't wait for Avengers 2: Infinity Gauntlet!
  78. Nov 21, 2013
    Well I'm a fan of Asgardian mythology and Marvel movies so I'll try to stay a bit objective. I loved the movie. Sure it doesn't make sense to fight guys with laser guns with just some swords and shields, but it adds to the action right? So if you take that for granted and just enjoy what's in front of you, which is a visual spectacle, it's a nice ride. Good pace is also enjoyable.
  79. Feb 22, 2014
    I'm not a big fan of superheroes movies but i enjoyed this one. It has a good rhythm and great visuals. Of course it has more or less the same development of all superheroes movies but it was fun to watch. Probably the main problem is that the main characters are played by actors that are dull.And yes i mean Portman and Hemsworth.
  80. Apr 22, 2014
    Having seeing the mixed reviews for Thor 2 my expectations weren’t that high when heading to the cinema but, while it doesn’t exactly do anything wildly different to any of the previous films in the Marvel franchise, it is certainly entertaining. Packed with a fair amount of humour and spectacular action sequences (the final battle in particular is superb) this is another fine addition toHaving seeing the mixed reviews for Thor 2 my expectations weren’t that high when heading to the cinema but, while it doesn’t exactly do anything wildly different to any of the previous films in the Marvel franchise, it is certainly entertaining. Packed with a fair amount of humour and spectacular action sequences (the final battle in particular is superb) this is another fine addition to the comic book universe. Expand
  81. Nov 9, 2013
    Thor: The Dark World may falter when Loki is not around, but it is a pretty solid entry in the Marvel Universe! Tom Hiddleston is simultaneously the biggest delight and problem for this franchise: when he's not around, the film grinds to a halt, before picking up again when Loki joins forces with his estranged brother, Thor. Seems to have a higher budget than the previous entry, but stillThor: The Dark World may falter when Loki is not around, but it is a pretty solid entry in the Marvel Universe! Tom Hiddleston is simultaneously the biggest delight and problem for this franchise: when he's not around, the film grinds to a halt, before picking up again when Loki joins forces with his estranged brother, Thor. Seems to have a higher budget than the previous entry, but still a very solid movie. Stay around for the credits, folks! Expand
  82. Nov 10, 2013
    Big improvement in every way over the first one but not perfect yet. The one thing I felt could definitely be improved on are the battles, I felt they were rather lackluster, especially the final battle. The soundtrack, the story, the settings, and the costumes were very impressive, and this movie is much funnier than the first one but in a good way, the humor doesn't distract from theBig improvement in every way over the first one but not perfect yet. The one thing I felt could definitely be improved on are the battles, I felt they were rather lackluster, especially the final battle. The soundtrack, the story, the settings, and the costumes were very impressive, and this movie is much funnier than the first one but in a good way, the humor doesn't distract from the seriousness of the situation and helps keep the audience awake. Expand
  83. Jun 8, 2014
    It's no secret that I've always hated superhero movies. I find them to be cliche, over the top, and so far from reality, that often time the stories are just the lowest form of Science Fiction. The only movies of the superhero genre that I've ever truly enjoyed are the recent Batman trilogy and some of the recent Marvel films. That being said, I hated the first Thor film, because it cameIt's no secret that I've always hated superhero movies. I find them to be cliche, over the top, and so far from reality, that often time the stories are just the lowest form of Science Fiction. The only movies of the superhero genre that I've ever truly enjoyed are the recent Batman trilogy and some of the recent Marvel films. That being said, I hated the first Thor film, because it came directly from a comic book and lacked any kind of background story whatsoever. Thanks in part to the Avengers and the development of the Loki character, that all changes with the second film. The story isn't directly from a comic book, but rather based on one. In this film, the characters are more established and there is a lengthy background story that only enhances the film, and the series. In the second film, Thor is tasked with stopping a deadly weapon, possessed by an all but extinct species. This weapon has the power to destroy the entire universe and as always, the focal point is on Earth. Unable to stop the weapon and save his girlfriend at the same time, Thor turns to an unlikely source for help, his now imprisoned brother, Loki. Given the magnitude of the story and the power of the enemy, I'm a bit surprised that they didn't keep this film to be used as an Avengers sequel, as it has all the makings of an epic sequel. Chris Hemsworth reprises his role as Thor and this time he is beyond terrific. His role in the Avengers really enhanced the popularity of a character that most people were unfamiliar with, and the tremendous start to the film really set the framework for Hemsworth to take Thor to the next level. Even the supporting cast steps it up a notch as Natalie Portman is more used to the idea of a boyfriend from another world and being involved in things she couldn't possibly understand. Finally, Tom Hiddleston tops of the story, with his portrayal of Loki. I may be going out on a limb here, but I thought Hiddleston was even better in The Dark World than he was in The Avengers. Going into the Avengers, next to The Hulk, Thor was the weakest of the introduction films, and the least known and appreciated character. That all changed with the Avengers and in his second film, the Thor character steps up to a level that rivals even Iron Man. If you're not that into the series and have only selectively seen a few of the films, make sure you include the Dark World, as it is essential to fully understanding Thor and his impact in the future of the series. Expand
  84. Nov 17, 2013
    Much better than the 1st. It is nice to see a Thor movie where Thor is Thor during the entire movie. I would prefer that they ditch the romance angle and concentrate on Thor only. When is Marvel going to remake some of the classic comic stories that made these heroes what they are today? I do admit that Lokai steals many scenes throughout the movie. It was good that they saw hisMuch better than the 1st. It is nice to see a Thor movie where Thor is Thor during the entire movie. I would prefer that they ditch the romance angle and concentrate on Thor only. When is Marvel going to remake some of the classic comic stories that made these heroes what they are today? I do admit that Lokai steals many scenes throughout the movie. It was good that they saw his possibilities. Nice plot twists too. Expand
  85. Mar 8, 2014
    Some liked the first film more. Some liked this one more. Me? This one. I've always liked Loki, but here, I've liked him more than ever. He's just so fun to watch. The rest of the cast were great too, and the movie itself was also great.
  86. Mar 14, 2014
    I didn't think this movie was gonna be very good. I was pleasantly surprised. It as much, much better than the first. Better action, better story, more humor. Stay tuned after the credits, there are not one but two mid credit scenes.
  87. Nov 23, 2013
    For lover of the genre the movie is really well done and the plot correctly followed the entire Marvel universe showed in others Marvel movies. Good special effect. Everythings is linked in good way with The first chapter. I am very keen of the saga and I can't wait to see the Thor 3. In my opinion the best character is loki! Wonderfull acting!
  88. Nov 11, 2013
    The sequel is a real step forward for the franchise. It is less boring to watch and it is stunningly beautiful. Also it has a more dark and grimy feel. The design of everything is just perfect. Somehow I felt similarity to Star Wars, it's like a mixture of fantasy and space fiction. The main disadvantage for me was a pretty weak storyline, it's just not catchy. Overall a very lovely forThe sequel is a real step forward for the franchise. It is less boring to watch and it is stunningly beautiful. Also it has a more dark and grimy feel. The design of everything is just perfect. Somehow I felt similarity to Star Wars, it's like a mixture of fantasy and space fiction. The main disadvantage for me was a pretty weak storyline, it's just not catchy. Overall a very lovely for your eyes (though the 3D effects could be better) but pretty shallow for your brain movie. Expand
  89. Nov 17, 2013
    This is a good movie that is carried well by its co-stars who consistently outperform the 2 leads. When Thor plays the straight man to Loki's jokes the movie gets more interesting. When Natalie Portman tries to play googlie eyes with the camera then the movie falls flat. We also never get to see Kat Dennings long hair and red lips because she is stuck in that stereotypical role that heldThis is a good movie that is carried well by its co-stars who consistently outperform the 2 leads. When Thor plays the straight man to Loki's jokes the movie gets more interesting. When Natalie Portman tries to play googlie eyes with the camera then the movie falls flat. We also never get to see Kat Dennings long hair and red lips because she is stuck in that stereotypical role that held that whole section of the movie back. Also the almost expected after credit preview was to me completely unnecessary since the last 3 minutes of the movie itself provided enough uh oh to make you want to come back anyways. Expand
  90. Jun 15, 2014
    I thought it was a good watch, but it`s flawed like old superman movies.They make it to much about the girl he likes.It`s just annoying how some way everything revolves around her. It`s not like shes Wonder women, or Cat women, shes just a regular human who has to be in the middle of it all.Also they killed certain characters that looked much more interesting in the previous Thor. It was aI thought it was a good watch, but it`s flawed like old superman movies.They make it to much about the girl he likes.It`s just annoying how some way everything revolves around her. It`s not like shes Wonder women, or Cat women, shes just a regular human who has to be in the middle of it all.Also they killed certain characters that looked much more interesting in the previous Thor. It was a good movie, but nothing that really stood out. Expand
  91. Jun 12, 2015
    Well I can say this. If you liked the first one, you'll like this one. The only problem I had with this film was the comic relief . Otherwise it was fun and great in IMAX.
  92. Nov 10, 2013
    My wife loves sci-fi and being the sensitive husband I am, I've sat through "Ender's Game" last Sunday and "Thor: The Dark World" today. "Thor" won out but neither was bad.
    I vaguely recalled the plot from the first movie, but like it, I was more impressed with the special effects and settings. The shots of the Asgard capital and the invasion were truly impressive, as the numerous cosmos shots. Plotwise, it was standard stuff, good vs. evil, honesty vs. treachery, blah blah blah.
    What saves this sequel is the acting of Tom Middleston, aka Loki, who has more personality than any other actor on screen maybe except for Anthony Hopkins. Here his services are needed to beat the bad guys in a nine sphere (whatever that is) alignment whose vortex just happens to be Greenwich Village in London. Imagine that.
    The other saving grace is well placed genuinely funny scenes, some in the middle of chaos that keep things from getting too self righteous. Even Stan Lee gets a funny cameo.
    Otherwise, "Thor: The Dark World" doesn't exactly blow minds but for a get away movie that doesn't take itself too seriously, it'll do, especially in a year of a lot of clunkers. Still, I'd rather see "Captain Phillips" again.
  93. Feb 20, 2014
    Well this was a surprise. I actually enjoyed a movie. They made a huge step forward compared to the first Thor. It has lot more action and and very SF oriented.
  94. Nov 10, 2013
    I thought this was a solid entertaining film. Allot of fun with a neat plot twist at the end. Not the best superhero movie I've seen but it is easily ranks among the better ones. The all time WORST superhero movie would have to be the disastrous Superman: The Man of Steel from earlier this year but, I digress. The creative people who are behind the Marvel Studios films are doing a greatI thought this was a solid entertaining film. Allot of fun with a neat plot twist at the end. Not the best superhero movie I've seen but it is easily ranks among the better ones. The all time WORST superhero movie would have to be the disastrous Superman: The Man of Steel from earlier this year but, I digress. The creative people who are behind the Marvel Studios films are doing a great job on the Marvel superhero films. I look forward to future installments of Thor and the other Marvel hero films. The key to these types of movies is not to take them too seriously. After all we are dealing with COMIC BOOK characters here not Shakespeare. Expand
  95. Nov 12, 2013
    entertaining and funny. great bad guys. loki creepy as always. asgardian army needs some training though lol...looked like mannequins and hapless against the invasion. decent entertainment!
  96. Jul 30, 2014
    This must be one of the greatest movies of 2013! It got everything, including humor, but most of all the awesome story, and it's much better then the previous movie!

The beginning of Thor: The Dark World is great, and I really enjoyed the historical perspective in the opening scene, and it was in a certain sense spectacular. The film overall got a very high tempo of action, especially in the first part of the film, and I really love it. When it comes to the CGI and the special effects, I just think they did it so damn good, and the music is magnificent, almost as good as in The Avengers. The actors in The Dark World couldn't have been more awesome as they are, and I especially love Chris Hemsworth and Christopher Eccleston's performance as Thor and Malekith. I never got bored at any time when I watched this movie, and it was quite humorous at some places, and I really enjoyed it. Another great thing about this film is that it got so much unique things that I never have seen before, and the ending is great.

Thor: The Dark World is a very good movie, but it's not a ten, so it got some negative aspects.
    One of the bad things is that the climax of the film could have been more entertaining and eventful, and it didn't really feel as a 10, but also that it might be to much gags in the movie, and sometimes did the story feel a bit weird. But it's still one of the movies of 2013 that you got to see, because it's a highly entertaining film that got action, science fiction and fantasy in one awesome movie!

Thor: The Dark World gets a 9/10
  97. May 25, 2014
    Thor: The Dark World is a good film and much better then Thor(2011) but in the end it seems to fit into marvel phase 2 and with this is mean the un-needed comedy. Sure some of it fit but most was not needed and seemed forced. Still though i had a great time watching it and even had a better time then i did while watching Iron Man 3. The cast was great but you can't go wrong with NatalieThor: The Dark World is a good film and much better then Thor(2011) but in the end it seems to fit into marvel phase 2 and with this is mean the un-needed comedy. Sure some of it fit but most was not needed and seemed forced. Still though i had a great time watching it and even had a better time then i did while watching Iron Man 3. The cast was great but you can't go wrong with Natalie Portman, Chris Hemsworth, Anothy Hopkins, Tom Hiddleston and plenty more.

A great Battle between Bor the father of Odin and The Dark Elf Malekith happend long ago. Malekith wanted to cover the world back in darkness using the power of the Aether so the dark elves can rule. Bor stopped Malekith by stealing the Aether forcing Malekith to kill his people to get away and to fight again later. So now were are in present day where Jane Foster(Natalie Portman) is looking for Thor when she ends up going through a portal to where the Aether is being hidden she touches it and ends up activing it.

Malekith awaken by the Aether being actived starts his search for it before The Convergence a alignment of the Nine Realms causeing portals to open between them with this he plans to cover the universe in darkness. Malekith and his remaining troops lead a secret attack on Asgard and ends up killing Frigga, Thors mother. Odin demands that no one leave Asgard so Thor teams up with Loki knowing he can't trust him but becuase he is the only person that knows the secret way out of Asgard.

Thor and Loki head to Svartalfheim the Dark Elves home world to fight malekith with the help of Jane. However Thor And Loki's plan fails and Malekith ends up getting the Aether out of Jane a making him grow stronger and Loki ends up dying Thor and Jane finding a Portal in a cave near by where they end up back in London. With the help of Erik Selvig (Stellan Skarsgård) and Darcy (Kat Dennings) they find a way to make their own potal. Thor and Malekith end up having a somewhat good battle. Just when everying looks dark Darcy and Erik acitvate the equitment making a portal causeing malekith to be teleported back to Svartalfheim where he is crushed by his ship.

Overall i give it a 7.5 while the movie is enjoyable i just feel the villain could have been better and makes wonder what Mads Mikkelsen's Malekith would have been like. Ill buy this on blu ray of course the CGI was great.
  98. Nov 15, 2013
    Big improvement over the first Thor. The action I would say was on par with the Avengers. And the gags were funnier than some of the actual comedies this year. Dialogue was pretty good and Loki was awesome as always, but Chris Hemsworth also did a great job as Thor again. Only negative was the villain, he was kinda meh.
    P.S. Whats wrong with you Metacritic? This year you seem to be
    P.S. Whats wrong with you Metacritic? This year you seem to be anti-super hero movies. There are other genres other Drama you know.
  99. Nov 15, 2013
    I felt like many others that Thor was a giant leap forward this time around, however it feels like the Thor films are becoming so heavily relied on Lokis character due to his increase in popularity since the first film. The film felt more of a 'Thor and Loki adventure' and as a result less time is spent on developing the films main villain Malekeith. With the lack of depth in his characterI felt like many others that Thor was a giant leap forward this time around, however it feels like the Thor films are becoming so heavily relied on Lokis character due to his increase in popularity since the first film. The film felt more of a 'Thor and Loki adventure' and as a result less time is spent on developing the films main villain Malekeith. With the lack of depth in his character it only reduces the feel of general threat to Thor as a standalone character Expand
  100. Nov 12, 2013
    Thor: The Dark World, like its brother, is just an acceptable movie, with high production value, still worth a try if you like superhero movies though.

1. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Nov 8, 2013
    The movie is pretty to look at in a "Transformers" sort of way and moves briskly enough that it never threatens to bore, but it's hard to feel much of anything about the characters and, when it's all over, there's a sense that everything that happens is obligatory.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Nov 8, 2013
    My favorite moment in the movie: Astrophysicist Erik Selvig (Stellan Skarsgard) insisting on wearing only his underwear because he says he thinks better that way. Hey, whatever works.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Nov 8, 2013
    None of that is to say that Thor: The Dark World is a bad movie, necessarily. I would never speak ill of a man with a giant, magical hammer. At the same time, hammer or no hammer, it doesn't quite nail it, either.