7.4

1. Nov 13, 2013
    Improved in every way from the acting to the special effects, No denying that Thor 2 is a good film. That being said, How good is it? I love Alan Taylor as the director. He is a huge improvement and while he may not put a personal twist on how he directs, He gives us a Thor film that makes us proud and I'd love to see him back for Thor 3. Christopher Eccleston was good as Malekith, theImproved in every way from the acting to the special effects, No denying that Thor 2 is a good film. That being said, How good is it? I love Alan Taylor as the director. He is a huge improvement and while he may not put a personal twist on how he directs, He gives us a Thor film that makes us proud and I'd love to see him back for Thor 3. Christopher Eccleston was good as Malekith, the main villain, but sadly Malekith didn't have as large of a role as I hoped he would. The rest of the cast, even Portman, were good.

The battle scenes, aside from the encounters Thor has with Malekith, didn't leave you in awe or captured the way a good comic book film does but they were still enjoyable. The plot is a bit too predictable as well, Often I could call things several minutes before they happened. However, I do love the ending because it leaves a wide opening for what Thor 3 can do plot-wise.

Overall, Thor 2 is a massive step forward of the trashy original and I would highly recommend seeing it because while slightly flawed, It's still worth watching.
  2. Nov 12, 2013
    The God of Thunder (Chris Hemsworth) is back to save the universe with his hammer (and some help from Loki). The plot is inconsequential and the dialogue is useless. It's all about the stunning visuals, magnificent art direction and cool sci-fi surprises. The pacing mostly moves (despite the slowish drama with Anthony Hopkins) and the action is big, but it's really about the fantasticThe God of Thunder (Chris Hemsworth) is back to save the universe with his hammer (and some help from Loki). The plot is inconsequential and the dialogue is useless. It's all about the stunning visuals, magnificent art direction and cool sci-fi surprises. The pacing mostly moves (despite the slowish drama with Anthony Hopkins) and the action is big, but it's really about the fantastic fantasy world and comic book spectacle. NOTE: Stay thru the end credits for the real ending. Expand
  3. Nov 8, 2013
    Tonight, not even the gods are safe as Thor: The Dark World debuts in theaters. The second chapter (third if you count Avengers) of Thor’s story, The Dark World is by no means a perfect movie, but it really doesn’t need to be: It’s tremendously fun and eminently worthwhile, warts and all. If you’re already a Thor fan courtesy of either the comics or the first film, it’s a safe bet thatTonight, not even the gods are safe as Thor: The Dark World debuts in theaters. The second chapter (third if you count Avengers) of Thor’s story, The Dark World is by no means a perfect movie, but it really doesn’t need to be: It’s tremendously fun and eminently worthwhile, warts and all. If you’re already a Thor fan courtesy of either the comics or the first film, it’s a safe bet that you’ll enjoy The Dark World. Thor, at its best, has always blended epic gravitas with humor, so prepare to laugh a lot. It’s a tradition that The Dark World embraces enthusiastically, from the awkward culture clash of inserting a Norse god into modern America to an epic battle that plays out like a mix between a boss level from the video game Portal and a Dungeons & Dragons teleport puzzle, and even an unexpected Chris Evans cameo as Captain America (sort of). The silver lining, of course, is more Loki. Tom Hiddleston is justifiably the break-out star of the last several years of Marvel movies, and his performance as the embittered trickster god in The Dark World is his best yet. We saw Loki begin to fray in Thor and unravel across Avengers; now, returned to Asgard and incarcerated for what is meant to be eternity, he clings to arrogant indifference over a profound pathos that surfaces only during a visit from an illusory projection of Frigga though whether she’s a projection of Loki’s actual adopted mother or a figment of his own conjuring is never clear. As this is a Marvel movie, you probably already know to stick around through the credits for a bonus scene. The Dark World has not one but two stingers the first after the film ends, and the second after the credits finish rolling and it’s worth sticking around for both of them. If you’re a long-time comic reader, the second’s got a cameo on par with the reveal of the villain Thanos after Avengers. Thor: The Dark World may be a bumpy ride, but it gets its hero where he needs to go from Prince of Asgard to hero of Earth with grace, humor, and a lot of heart. It’s not perfect, but it doesn’t have to be: It’s awesome. Expand
  4. Mar 8, 2014
    Another superb super-hero movie from Marvel. With plenty of action, humor, and likable characters this movie proves to be just as much of a good time as the first. With it's combination of sci-fi themes like spaceships and aliens with things like knights and sword battles, the movie comes across as some sort of combination between "Lord of the Rings" and "Star Wars" all wrapped up inAnother superb super-hero movie from Marvel. With plenty of action, humor, and likable characters this movie proves to be just as much of a good time as the first. With it's combination of sci-fi themes like spaceships and aliens with things like knights and sword battles, the movie comes across as some sort of combination between "Lord of the Rings" and "Star Wars" all wrapped up in super-hero movie.

The action scenes are over-the-top and well done. The plot manages to have a more serious tone than it's predecessor, but thankfully never comes off as melodramatic or whinny like some other Marvel movies have *cough* Iron Man 2 *cough*. Overall this is a very fun and very excellent movie. One that will most assuredly please fans of Thor and of Marvel movies.
  5. Nov 17, 2013
    Featuring some solid direction, set pieces, and storytelling, "Thor: The Dark World" marks yet another worthy entry into the already expansive Marvel/Disney dynasty.
  6. Jun 8, 2014
    It's no secret that I've always hated superhero movies. I find them to be cliche, over the top, and so far from reality, that often time the stories are just the lowest form of Science Fiction. The only movies of the superhero genre that I've ever truly enjoyed are the recent Batman trilogy and some of the recent Marvel films. That being said, I hated the first Thor film, because it cameIt's no secret that I've always hated superhero movies. I find them to be cliche, over the top, and so far from reality, that often time the stories are just the lowest form of Science Fiction. The only movies of the superhero genre that I've ever truly enjoyed are the recent Batman trilogy and some of the recent Marvel films. That being said, I hated the first Thor film, because it came directly from a comic book and lacked any kind of background story whatsoever. Thanks in part to the Avengers and the development of the Loki character, that all changes with the second film. The story isn't directly from a comic book, but rather based on one. In this film, the characters are more established and there is a lengthy background story that only enhances the film, and the series. In the second film, Thor is tasked with stopping a deadly weapon, possessed by an all but extinct species. This weapon has the power to destroy the entire universe and as always, the focal point is on Earth. Unable to stop the weapon and save his girlfriend at the same time, Thor turns to an unlikely source for help, his now imprisoned brother, Loki. Given the magnitude of the story and the power of the enemy, I'm a bit surprised that they didn't keep this film to be used as an Avengers sequel, as it has all the makings of an epic sequel. Chris Hemsworth reprises his role as Thor and this time he is beyond terrific. His role in the Avengers really enhanced the popularity of a character that most people were unfamiliar with, and the tremendous start to the film really set the framework for Hemsworth to take Thor to the next level. Even the supporting cast steps it up a notch as Natalie Portman is more used to the idea of a boyfriend from another world and being involved in things she couldn't possibly understand. Finally, Tom Hiddleston tops of the story, with his portrayal of Loki. I may be going out on a limb here, but I thought Hiddleston was even better in The Dark World than he was in The Avengers. Going into the Avengers, next to The Hulk, Thor was the weakest of the introduction films, and the least known and appreciated character. That all changed with the Avengers and in his second film, the Thor character steps up to a level that rivals even Iron Man. If you're not that into the series and have only selectively seen a few of the films, make sure you include the Dark World, as it is essential to fully understanding Thor and his impact in the future of the series. Expand
  7. Nov 15, 2013
    This is a real solid superhero film and an overall better film than the first. To me Thor has been the toughest of the superhero's to get on board with mainly because the villains besides Loki are just not that interesting, but seeing more of Thor in action with a real good script made for a pleasant surprise. B+
  8. Nov 29, 2013
    Really good movie. I preferred it to the first Thor for sure. Honestly, I think this is one of the better superhero movies I have seen. Tom Hiddleston was fantastic as Loki, as were Chris Hemsworth and Natalie Portman in their roles. Overall, a really well acted and well directed sequel that really does a good job moving the series forward. Also, it was extremely funny, which was unexpected.
  9. Jul 2, 2014
    Thor: The Dark World is a decent sequel to an amazing original. It's a bit too dark and tragedy ridden for it's own good, but the craft of the sci-fi world on offer here cannot be denied. Lasers, elves, giant space-ships and Loki... That's a recipe for a good time in my book!
  10. Nov 11, 2013
    A crammed cinema-going for the weekend is a belated diversion since not too much going on for the past month in the burgeoning Chinese market. The chapter one THOR (2011, 5/10) and the mega-amalgam THE AVENGERS (2012, 5/10) didn’t lure me into Thor’s fan base, but this sequel does boost the franchise’s morals by further intermingling the epic apocalypse between the vast Gods’ realm and theA crammed cinema-going for the weekend is a belated diversion since not too much going on for the past month in the burgeoning Chinese market. The chapter one THOR (2011, 5/10) and the mega-amalgam THE AVENGERS (2012, 5/10) didn’t lure me into Thor’s fan base, but this sequel does boost the franchise’s morals by further intermingling the epic apocalypse between the vast Gods’ realm and the puny but ego-maniacal earth, saw it in its over-charged 3D version (nearly impossible to find a 2D screening nearby), THOR: THE DARK WORLD is a massive crowd-pleaser, terrific art production and the trappings of a Marvel vehicle, shrewdly fictionalizes the love-and-hatred bromance between Thor and Loki, which is much hyped as the dominant draw for this action-packed escapade.

There is darkness before the birth of the universe, so as to against the plot of Malekith (Eccleston) to utilize an amorphous weapon called Aether to set the universe back into pitch-blackness, Thor (Hemsworth) has to team up with Loki (Hiddleston) to rescue his earth girlfriend Jane (Portman) who has been infected by Aether and being pursed by Malekith and his toadies, notably, a mutated fiend Algrim (Akinnuoye-Agbaje).

Whiling the most entertaining part comes the polarized tenors of the Asgard kingdom and the contemporary earth, one is solemn, majestic, atavistic and Shakespearean (thanks to Kenneth Branagh for setting the tone in THOR 2011) and the other (this time the locale is an overcast London) is glossy, modern, farcical and doomed to be pulverized. The spectacles are generally gratifying and on a par with the earlier IRON MAN 3 (2013, 6/10) to say the least.

Wonderful comic relief from the earthbound trio, Dennings, Skarsgård and Howard plus a surprising cameo by O’Dowd. Hemsworth and Portman are predictably playing the hero and his fearless girlfriend-in-danger default while Hiddleston easily grabs all the attention by influencing meatier character development, more ambiguous in his stance and a timely twist in the end can suffice to ignite fans’ passion to the next installment, or maybe a Loki-based spin-off which will be more intriguing and anti-trend in its own way. By any means it is a solid sequel which inherits the merits from its predecessor and put more verve into its gods vs. mortals contradiction, director Alan Taylor has well handled a hot potato, next step, sit and wait for CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER (2014) coming this upcoming April.
  11. Aug 1, 2014
    There's a lot you could add, and a lot you could take out to make this on the quality scale of 'The Avengers'. The climactic scene has the most jokes that are shoved into it while the plot is stretched farther than it should have been. I still enjoy the acting, particularly Tom Hiddleston, who I believe is just a riot all the way through, whenever he is on screen. But the acting is justThere's a lot you could add, and a lot you could take out to make this on the quality scale of 'The Avengers'. The climactic scene has the most jokes that are shoved into it while the plot is stretched farther than it should have been. I still enjoy the acting, particularly Tom Hiddleston, who I believe is just a riot all the way through, whenever he is on screen. But the acting is just one essence. It's not groundbreaking or spectacular. It's merely enjoyable. The story is not so much, I'm afraid. Expand
  12. Nov 23, 2014
    Thor: The Dark World is as strong as any other recent Marvel film. Thor may possibly be my favorite character from the Avengers and it continues to keep a strong individual story. Loki was great in this film. He may be the best villain in the Marvel franchise right now. I think that the next Thor movie will only improve from the last two.
  13. Nov 11, 2013
    Thor: The Dark World is definitely one of the best superhero films I've ever seen. The cast, led by Chris Hemsworth and Natalie Portman, did a great job once again. Supporting actors Tom Hiddleston, Idris Elba, Kat Dennings, Jaimie Alexander, Anthony Hopkins, and so many more really are amazing. I've heard a lot of complaints about the pace being too quick and difficult to keep up with. MyThor: The Dark World is definitely one of the best superhero films I've ever seen. The cast, led by Chris Hemsworth and Natalie Portman, did a great job once again. Supporting actors Tom Hiddleston, Idris Elba, Kat Dennings, Jaimie Alexander, Anthony Hopkins, and so many more really are amazing. I've heard a lot of complaints about the pace being too quick and difficult to keep up with. My response? Don't take stupid people to see the movie. I honestly don't see how anyone would have trouble keeping up with the pace of the film. I thought the plot development was actually one of the stronger parts of the film. Another strong element was the humor. Like the first installment, there was a lot of situational humor. However, this movie took it to an entirely new level and didn't feel forced and out of place. Most of this is thanks to the aforementioned Kat Dennings and her unique comedic flair. Also, watch for the Captain America cameo for maybe the most humorous scene in the film. The action sequences were up to par with the rest of the movies, meaning they were epic. Natalie Portman is as breathtaking as ever and the rest of the supporting cast adds a combination of depth and humor. The only negative in the movie, and I'm really not sure if it's a fair one, is that I wanted more Lady Sif. I'm sorry but you have one of the most beautiful women in the world, who happens to be a fantastic actress, playing one of the most badass and intriguing roles in the movie and she's barely even relevant? You've gotta do better than that. Supposedly she originally had a more prominent role even creating somewhat of a love triangle but the studio ultimately decided to trim that back, essentially eliminating a large chunk of her screen time. After some thought I decided it didn't really "hurt" the film so I won't let it affect the rating but I would've liked liked to see her more. Hopefully we'll get that in the special features when it releases on blu-ray. Overall, I'd say this is probably the third best Avengers film yet, behind Iron Man and The Avengers. Hopefully they continue to deliver because they've got one helluva series going. Expand
  14. Mar 10, 2014
    While I would like to say that this movie was better than the first one, on the whole it's about the same. Story is interesting and there is allot of Thor comic lore to keep fans engaged, but the writing and script are dead weak. Aside from Thor, there is very, very, very, little character development. Granted this is OK for the main characters as they were firmly established in theWhile I would like to say that this movie was better than the first one, on the whole it's about the same. Story is interesting and there is allot of Thor comic lore to keep fans engaged, but the writing and script are dead weak. Aside from Thor, there is very, very, very, little character development. Granted this is OK for the main characters as they were firmly established in the previous films, but with the focus now being on Asgard, there is allot of new elements to the universe that are barely touched upon.

Loki feels tacked on and seems utterly needless. With a dead obvious plot twist that anyone with half a brain would see coming a mile away. Clearly he is there as a fan service and to draw in the ladies (no idea what they see in him, but if that's what they like.)

The villain is so generic and really gets little due. Clearly he is there as a plot device and more or less feels like something for Thor to do, than an actual threat. At least Loki had charm and was fun to watch in his scenes.

The visual effects are utterly gorgeous and the production team do a fantastic job bring Asgard to life. A shame they couldn't have done the same with the script.

Overall:
    If I didn't know any better, I would have thought this was a "made-for-TV" movie. Everything looks good, and it follows a typical comic book formula, but considering this is a Marvel movie, I had expected allot better.

An entertaining, if somewhat average movie that delivers on the visuals but crashes with a flimsy script and lackluster plot.
  15. Nov 29, 2013
    Thor The Dark World is a decent flick. The film has some good action scenes, likeable characters (especially Loki), nice presentation, and some fun scenes. However, the film is bogged down by a slow first half and a couple scenes that might be a little too dark. Thankfully, though there is enough entertainment/good stuff to make the movie enjoyable. I’m glad I saw it but don’t think I’mThor The Dark World is a decent flick. The film has some good action scenes, likeable characters (especially Loki), nice presentation, and some fun scenes. However, the film is bogged down by a slow first half and a couple scenes that might be a little too dark. Thankfully, though there is enough entertainment/good stuff to make the movie enjoyable. I’m glad I saw it but don’t think I’m going to see it again. If you are a fan of these movies you’ll enjoy it just fine if not there is nothing here to change your mind. As it stands this is one of the weaker films of the Marvel Cinematic Universe but not a bad one making it worth a watch for fans of the genre but that’s about it Expand
  16. Nov 12, 2013
    I guess this was the "Empire Strikes Back" edition of the Thor franchise due to the death scene and the twist ending. The movie started out poorly with one of the worse battle scenes I've seen for awhile, but when the bad guy comes back the film finally gets its groove. The humor, or attempted humor generally comes from the Character Darcy, played by Kat Dennings, who is the assistant ofI guess this was the "Empire Strikes Back" edition of the Thor franchise due to the death scene and the twist ending. The movie started out poorly with one of the worse battle scenes I've seen for awhile, but when the bad guy comes back the film finally gets its groove. The humor, or attempted humor generally comes from the Character Darcy, played by Kat Dennings, who is the assistant of the Natalie Portman character. I found her to be somewhat annoying rather than funny, and she certainly does not act like a normal person in dire situations. Still, the overall look of the film is excellent and once the film got into second gear I never got bored. Expand
  17. Mar 8, 2014
    Some liked the first film more. Some liked this one more. Me? This one. I've always liked Loki, but here, I've liked him more than ever. He's just so fun to watch. The rest of the cast were great too, and the movie itself was also great.
  18. Nov 27, 2013
    This sequel really felt like another version of "Iron Man 3". A let loose disappointing, sequel that tries to bring in laughs and not enough good storytelling. While there were some good action sequences and Tom Hiddleston's portrayal of Loki is still spot on and awesome as ever, it still doesn't quite redeem a movie that I thought would actually be way better than expected. Overall, "IronThis sequel really felt like another version of "Iron Man 3". A let loose disappointing, sequel that tries to bring in laughs and not enough good storytelling. While there were some good action sequences and Tom Hiddleston's portrayal of Loki is still spot on and awesome as ever, it still doesn't quite redeem a movie that I thought would actually be way better than expected. Overall, "Iron Man 3" remake. I give it a B-. Expand
  19. Nov 13, 2014
    "Thor: The Dark World" 10 Scale Rating: 7.0 (Good) ...

"Thor: The Dark World" 10 Scale Rating: 7.0 (Good) ...

The Good: The banter between Thor and Loki was great and Eccleston was an amazing villain. Idris Elba as Heimdall was once again a character that you wanted to see more of. The story itself was merely decent, but the first half of the film was amazing. As expected, excellent action sequences and effects. At times, the humor was well placed and cut the drama a little. Tom Hiddleston once again played Loki to perfection.

The Bad: No matter how hard they try, I just can't bring myself to care about Jane Foster (Natalie Portman). The way they crammed her into the story was ham-fisted and an unbelievable coincidence. I could have done without Kat Dennings completely and Stellan Skarsgard, while interesting in the first film as well as The Avengers, was forced into the film and actually felt out of place. The second half wasn't nearly as interesting as the first. While it was still an enjoyable film, the story wasn't the most creative and I would have liked to see more of some of the secondary characters.
  20. Jun 15, 2014
    I thought it was a good watch, but it`s flawed like old superman movies.They make it to much about the girl he likes.It`s just annoying how some way everything revolves around her. It`s not like shes Wonder women, or Cat women, shes just a regular human who has to be in the middle of it all.Also they killed certain characters that looked much more interesting in the previous Thor. It was aI thought it was a good watch, but it`s flawed like old superman movies.They make it to much about the girl he likes.It`s just annoying how some way everything revolves around her. It`s not like shes Wonder women, or Cat women, shes just a regular human who has to be in the middle of it all.Also they killed certain characters that looked much more interesting in the previous Thor. It was a good movie, but nothing that really stood out. Expand
  21. Nov 7, 2014
    Derivative as it is, a charismatic cast, witty dialogue and Loki saves Thor: The Dark World from being just a gala of special effects destroying the universe.
  22. Dec 6, 2014
    Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) Analysis: Thor: The Dark World (2013)

Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) Analysis: Thor: The Dark World (2013)

So… Thor. It’s time for my review of this super-hero’s sequel. Frankly, it’s the weakest MCU movie up to now. It’s still enjoyable but there’s so much potential wasted in here, one of them being the villain, oh… we’ll get to that LATER. It’s not just the antagonist though, the plot is sometimes a muddle and the movie itself suffers from too much exposition. It still brings comedy and action, however it’s really disappointing. But with all honesty, the filmmakers did try. They did try

Odin recalls when his father Bor and the warriors from Asgard vanquished the evil Dark Elves and their leader Malekith that wanted to send the universe into the darkness during the convergence of nine realms unleashing the powerful weapon Aether. Malekith escapes and Bor hides the Aether in-between two stone columns. In the present days, on Earth, the scientist Jane Foster that is waiting for the return of Thor, investigates a gravity phenomenon in an abandoned factory with her assistant and her intern. She finds the column where the Aether is hidden and the substance possesses her. In Asgard, Heimdall reports to Thor that Jane has disappeared. Thor returns to Earth and finds Jane; but when he sees that he has a strange energy protecting her, he brings Jane to Asgard to be healed. However, Malekith also awakes and goes to Asgard to retrieve the Aether. After a bloody battle, Frigga is murdered by Malekith and Thor proposes treason to his warriors friends of Asgard and teams up with Loki to seek revenge for the murder of their mother and to vanquish Malekith before he destroys Asgard with his Dark Elves.

Let’s start with the good elements: The action is great. Marvel does well with the action in their films, especially in “The Avengers” and this movie is not an exception. There are no shaky cams to be found here and the fights are well choreographed. Thor throwing the hammer is as exciting as seeing Captain America throwing his shield, it never gets old. One satisfying element that also returned is the comedy. Sense of humor works just like it did in the first movie, while it sometimes gets a little bit too cheesy, it surely provides some laughs from moviegoers. “Guardians of the Galaxy” still remains the funniest MCU movie to now, but we’ll get to that when I do my review of it. The story is solid… I think. I mean, it’s not phenomenal, but the narrative grabbed my attention right from the beginning, but like I said before, what it matters is not being entertained when watching a motion picture, but being satisfied AFTER watching it, so this is really not saying much.

The villain is so bad. I swear to God that he’s the main reason as to why I almost lower my score to a 5. It’s so f*cking bad. When you get out of the theaters or you finish seeing the movie, you’ll realize how uselessly wasted was Malekith. For what I gleaned from the comics is that he’s very powerful, he’s very well-written and he is interesting at the least. Malekith is not intriguing in this movie! So when a main villain doesn’t succeed, it almost ruins the movie for me. I don’t care if they decide to do a different take on the character, being completely different from the comics, no, I don’t care. It just has to be good. I don’t care who thought about the character, who wrote her or who even designed her. I don’t care, it just HAS to be good. Is the villain good? Absolutely not. Is he badass? No, he’s not. Is the character well-written? No, not at all. It’s just a **** villain that I don’t want to see him again, neither in other upcoming installments, unless if they make the character look interesting, not a disappointingly forgettable villain. Let’s see, what’s the best villain in Marvel Cinematic Universe? Um… let us see… oh yeah! Loki. Loki is the best villain in this whole freaking universe. There are good villains like Iron Monger, Killian, Winter Soldier (he’s not really a villain, more like an antagonist), why is Malekith so bad? *Sighs*

The cast returns: Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman, Tom Hiddleston, Anthony Hopkins and Stellan Skarsgård, all of them return to reprise their roles, and they’re all just great. Unlike the amazing letdown that Malekith was, the actors’ performances are really nice and they all seem to put an effort in the film to make it good. Loki is in the movie, and once again, you don’t know what’s on his mind. I’m so confused, what his purposes? What does he want? Whatever.

Final Score to Thor: The Dark World: 6/10. A passable super-hero sequel that, despite having some pretty nice battle sequences and a solid cast, it’s weighed down by a completely forgettable villain and an occasionally muddled plot. Thank God that the next MCU movie I’m going to review will be fantastic. Next review: Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014).

May Thor rest easily.
  23. Feb 15, 2014
    I begin by saying in a simple line, this sequel was just okay for me. I did not find any awesomeness in it or any mind blowing scenes. The first movie was quite interested me because of a new actor, new superhero character and the birth of the new franchise from Marvel studio. All together with a mythical Greek character in a modern world, it was something that hit me. Just a few monthsI begin by saying in a simple line, this sequel was just okay for me. I did not find any awesomeness in it or any mind blowing scenes. The first movie was quite interested me because of a new actor, new superhero character and the birth of the new franchise from Marvel studio. All together with a mythical Greek character in a modern world, it was something that hit me. Just a few months back, I praised Hemsworth for his best ever performance in the biographical picture 'Rush'. Here he has fallen back to okay kinda performance. The movie was nothing special, but a decent entertainment. Technically, it was rich in visuals with good graphics, no one must dare to doubt it. My problem was the story which followed the usual fantasy movie protocol. One of the disappointment from 2013, completely a commercial purpose behind its creation and production. Yeah, all the movie are but this one is very much visible. So in my opinion, it is one time watch movie.

6.5/10
  24. Apr 22, 2014
    Having seeing the mixed reviews for Thor 2 my expectations weren’t that high when heading to the cinema but, while it doesn’t exactly do anything wildly different to any of the previous films in the Marvel franchise, it is certainly entertaining. Packed with a fair amount of humour and spectacular action sequences (the final battle in particular is superb) this is another fine addition toHaving seeing the mixed reviews for Thor 2 my expectations weren’t that high when heading to the cinema but, while it doesn’t exactly do anything wildly different to any of the previous films in the Marvel franchise, it is certainly entertaining. Packed with a fair amount of humour and spectacular action sequences (the final battle in particular is superb) this is another fine addition to the comic book universe. Expand
  25. Jan 2, 2014
    Though there is a lot of mindless action sequences and poorly written scenes, overall Thor: The Dark World delivers where the first one couldn't. This film feels more at ease and more like the Marvel comic it is based on, the weakness lies in the lack of depth of the myriad of characters and the satirical humour which struggles to be in the same vein as Joss Whedon.
  26. May 25, 2014
    Thor: The Dark World is a good film and much better then Thor(2011) but in the end it seems to fit into marvel phase 2 and with this is mean the un-needed comedy. Sure some of it fit but most was not needed and seemed forced. Still though i had a great time watching it and even had a better time then i did while watching Iron Man 3. The cast was great but you can't go wrong with NatalieThor: The Dark World is a good film and much better then Thor(2011) but in the end it seems to fit into marvel phase 2 and with this is mean the un-needed comedy. Sure some of it fit but most was not needed and seemed forced. Still though i had a great time watching it and even had a better time then i did while watching Iron Man 3. The cast was great but you can't go wrong with Natalie Portman, Chris Hemsworth, Anothy Hopkins, Tom Hiddleston and plenty more.

A great Battle between Bor the father of Odin and The Dark Elf Malekith happend long ago. Malekith wanted to cover the world back in darkness using the power of the Aether so the dark elves can rule. Bor stopped Malekith by stealing the Aether forcing Malekith to kill his people to get away and to fight again later. So now were are in present day where Jane Foster(Natalie Portman) is looking for Thor when she ends up going through a portal to where the Aether is being hidden she touches it and ends up activing it.

Malekith awaken by the Aether being actived starts his search for it before The Convergence a alignment of the Nine Realms causeing portals to open between them with this he plans to cover the universe in darkness. Malekith and his remaining troops lead a secret attack on Asgard and ends up killing Frigga, Thors mother. Odin demands that no one leave Asgard so Thor teams up with Loki knowing he can't trust him but becuase he is the only person that knows the secret way out of Asgard.

Thor and Loki head to Svartalfheim the Dark Elves home world to fight malekith with the help of Jane. However Thor And Loki's plan fails and Malekith ends up getting the Aether out of Jane a making him grow stronger and Loki ends up dying Thor and Jane finding a Portal in a cave near by where they end up back in London. With the help of Erik Selvig (Stellan Skarsgård) and Darcy (Kat Dennings) they find a way to make their own potal. Thor and Malekith end up having a somewhat good battle. Just when everying looks dark Darcy and Erik acitvate the equitment making a portal causeing malekith to be teleported back to Svartalfheim where he is crushed by his ship.

Overall i give it a 7.5 while the movie is enjoyable i just feel the villain could have been better and makes wonder what Mads Mikkelsen's Malekith would have been like. Ill buy this on blu ray of course the CGI was great.
  27. Jul 29, 2014
    "Thor: The Dark World" is more than you expect it to be. It is a great improvement on the first Thor film, and pretty entertaining. Except for the stunning Marvel-standard CGI, there is more soul to the storyline, an appealing performance from Tom Hiddleston as Loki, and some pretty funny scenes. It may not be so powerful as "The Avengers" or "Captain America: The Winter Soldier", but you"Thor: The Dark World" is more than you expect it to be. It is a great improvement on the first Thor film, and pretty entertaining. Except for the stunning Marvel-standard CGI, there is more soul to the storyline, an appealing performance from Tom Hiddleston as Loki, and some pretty funny scenes. It may not be so powerful as "The Avengers" or "Captain America: The Winter Soldier", but you will likely find yourself amused by its more intelligent twists and impressing visuals. Expand
  28. Jan 4, 2014
    Esperava mais de Thor. O filme tem ótimos efeitos visuais e tralha voando para todo lado porém uma experiência de aspecto cansativo a única coisa que salva o filme a cena final.
  29. Nov 11, 2013
    The sequel is a real step forward for the franchise. It is less boring to watch and it is stunningly beautiful. Also it has a more dark and grimy feel. The design of everything is just perfect. Somehow I felt similarity to Star Wars, it's like a mixture of fantasy and space fiction. The main disadvantage for me was a pretty weak storyline, it's just not catchy. Overall a very lovely forThe sequel is a real step forward for the franchise. It is less boring to watch and it is stunningly beautiful. Also it has a more dark and grimy feel. The design of everything is just perfect. Somehow I felt similarity to Star Wars, it's like a mixture of fantasy and space fiction. The main disadvantage for me was a pretty weak storyline, it's just not catchy. Overall a very lovely for your eyes (though the 3D effects could be better) but pretty shallow for your brain movie. Expand
  30. Nov 28, 2013
  31. Jul 30, 2014
    This must be one of the greatest movies of 2013! It got everything, including humor, but most of all the awesome story, and it's much better then the previous movie!

The beginning of Thor: The Dark World is great, and I really enjoyed the historical perspective in the opening scene, and it was in a certain sense spectacular. The film overall got a very high tempo of action, especially in the first part of the film, and I really love it. When it comes to the CGI and the special effects, I just think they did it so damn good, and the music is magnificent, almost as good as in The Avengers. The actors in The Dark World couldn't have been more awesome as they are, and I especially love Chris Hemsworth and Christopher Eccleston's performance as Thor and Malekith. I never got bored at any time when I watched this movie, and it was quite humorous at some places, and I really enjoyed it. Another great thing about this film is that it got so much unique things that I never have seen before, and the ending is great.

Thor: The Dark World is a very good movie, but it's not a ten, so it got some negative aspects.
    One of the bad things is that the climax of the film could have been more entertaining and eventful, and it didn't really feel as a 10, but also that it might be to much gags in the movie, and sometimes did the story feel a bit weird. But it's still one of the movies of 2013 that you got to see, because it's a highly entertaining film that got action, science fiction and fantasy in one awesome movie!

Thor: The Dark World gets a 9/10
  32. Nov 9, 2013
    Thor: The Dark World may falter when Loki is not around, but it is a pretty solid entry in the Marvel Universe! Tom Hiddleston is simultaneously the biggest delight and problem for this franchise: when he's not around, the film grinds to a halt, before picking up again when Loki joins forces with his estranged brother, Thor. Seems to have a higher budget than the previous entry, but stillThor: The Dark World may falter when Loki is not around, but it is a pretty solid entry in the Marvel Universe! Tom Hiddleston is simultaneously the biggest delight and problem for this franchise: when he's not around, the film grinds to a halt, before picking up again when Loki joins forces with his estranged brother, Thor. Seems to have a higher budget than the previous entry, but still a very solid movie. Stay around for the credits, folks! Expand
  33. Jan 3, 2014
    The sequel to the mediocre movie Thor. It's an improvement.
    Most things are pretty much the same the acting is satisfactory, the plot is satisfactory, the dialogue is satisfactory, the characters are satisfactory. But the one change is that the acting scenes have been reduced (by the target audiences demand for explosions)
    to blundering B-movie like smashes and punches which remind me of
    The sequel to the mediocre movie Thor. It's an improvement.
    to blundering B-movie like smashes and punches which remind me of the cheesy 1960's Batman fights and have about as much intelligence as a mouldy cheese sandwich.
    Fortunately the witty, and surprisingly British, humor saves the potentially failed movie. I think I laughed more in Thor The Dark World than I did in Napoleon Dynamite (which I did like), Chris O'Dowd even turns up a few times to provide some comic relief from the brainless antics going on between Thor and Malektih who is played brilliantly but unrecognisably by Christopher Ecclestone.
    While the action scenes were a step down I enjoyed Thor The Dark World more than the first movie and do recommend it due to the clever writing and strong effective humor.
  34. Nov 17, 2013
    This is a good movie that is carried well by its co-stars who consistently outperform the 2 leads. When Thor plays the straight man to Loki's jokes the movie gets more interesting. When Natalie Portman tries to play googlie eyes with the camera then the movie falls flat. We also never get to see Kat Dennings long hair and red lips because she is stuck in that stereotypical role that heldThis is a good movie that is carried well by its co-stars who consistently outperform the 2 leads. When Thor plays the straight man to Loki's jokes the movie gets more interesting. When Natalie Portman tries to play googlie eyes with the camera then the movie falls flat. We also never get to see Kat Dennings long hair and red lips because she is stuck in that stereotypical role that held that whole section of the movie back. Also the almost expected after credit preview was to me completely unnecessary since the last 3 minutes of the movie itself provided enough uh oh to make you want to come back anyways. Expand
  35. Nov 17, 2013
    "Thor: The Dark Word" is a new sequel by the first movie of "Thor" and a crossover spinoff by "The Avengers," but unfortunately the movie is very weak for me that a lot of people seem to enjoy this overhyped film. This sequel is about a brave superhuman who enters a darkish humanity to face against the dark elves who wants to conquer the universe. Thor (Chris Hemsworth) returns as a"Thor: The Dark Word" is a new sequel by the first movie of "Thor" and a crossover spinoff by "The Avengers," but unfortunately the movie is very weak for me that a lot of people seem to enjoy this overhyped film. This sequel is about a brave superhuman who enters a darkish humanity to face against the dark elves who wants to conquer the universe. Thor (Chris Hemsworth) returns as a handsome mythological prince who wants to see his true love, Jane Foster (Natalie Portman) in England, and he's trying to find a Nine Realms in the big bloated planet. The movie drags down with silly humor, corny dialogue, and some unpleasant scenes, where Dr. Erik Selvig (Stellan Starsgard) is running crazy with his naked body and he started to become a lunatic. I would say whatever happen to this scene? Does the doctor goes insane while he left away from The Avengers that they didn't known about him? The main villain named Malekith (Christopher Eccleston) is part of the dark universe and he 's one of the most boring characters in this movie, it goes very slow for this plot, even Loki (Tom Hiddleston) is having fun for his character since they make him interested villain from the "The Avengers." Thor: The Dark World is an underwhelming superhero film with corny forgettable characters, a dull story, and some tiring moments. I would prefer "The Avengers," or an okay version from Kenneth Branagh's "Thor." One of the main problems is that the film turns into corky uninteresting mess, when does the film turns so corky that doesn't take to serious. Thor: The Dark World is not a memorable superhero like the other Marvel Universe series, even it's more less convenience like "Man of Steel" or "The Wolverine." So the search I still on until we get to next Avengers sequel or any spinoff characters in Marvel. Expand
  36. Nov 10, 2013
    It's actually a considerable improvement over the original. I liked it quite a bit. The acting and plot were much more solid, and the writing was cohesive this time around. Thor is really not as interesting as the other Avengers, but this isn't terrible.
  37. Apr 21, 2014
    A pretty good Marvel movie. Not one of the best but I did enjoy this film more than the first one. The action was cool and there was a lot of it s that was awesome. And Loki is who made the movie this good. Tom Hiddelston played him perfectly and he was amazing in the movie and made it what it was. There was that right amount of Marvel humour thrown in the movie to make this an entertaining watch.
  38. Nov 27, 2013
    For me, the first movie was more enjoyable. The Dark World has potentials but failed to deliver a convincing act and dialogue. The jokes are often on-point, but some are too much. The production is also a little bit all over the place and I can't really enjoy the one and a half hour spent seeing the whole movie. It did entertain me, but not to the point where I'd happily give out at leastFor me, the first movie was more enjoyable. The Dark World has potentials but failed to deliver a convincing act and dialogue. The jokes are often on-point, but some are too much. The production is also a little bit all over the place and I can't really enjoy the one and a half hour spent seeing the whole movie. It did entertain me, but not to the point where I'd happily give out at least a 7 or an 8. Expand
  39. Oct 19, 2014
    Thor spans the Marvel Universe from present day Earth to the realm of Asgard. At the center of the story is the mighty Thor, a powerful but arrogant warrior whose reckless actions reignite an ancient war. Thor is cast down to Earth by his father Odin and is forced to live among humans. A beautiful, young scientist, Jane Foster, has a profound effect on Thor, as she ultimately becomes hisThor spans the Marvel Universe from present day Earth to the realm of Asgard. At the center of the story is the mighty Thor, a powerful but arrogant warrior whose reckless actions reignite an ancient war. Thor is cast down to Earth by his father Odin and is forced to live among humans. A beautiful, young scientist, Jane Foster, has a profound effect on Thor, as she ultimately becomes his first love. It's while here on Earth that Thor learns what it takes to be a true hero when the most dangerous villain of his world sends the darkest forces of Asgard to invade Earth. Expand
  40. Nov 12, 2013
    I loved the first film and have been impressed to no end with the undertaking that Marvel Studios has taken with their shared cinematic universe. "Thor: The Dark World" is exciting, dramatic and, most of all, very funny. Once again Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston prove that they were born to play Thor and Loki and Christopher Eccleston shows that he can make it as a dark, forebodingI loved the first film and have been impressed to no end with the undertaking that Marvel Studios has taken with their shared cinematic universe. "Thor: The Dark World" is exciting, dramatic and, most of all, very funny. Once again Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston prove that they were born to play Thor and Loki and Christopher Eccleston shows that he can make it as a dark, foreboding villain in the Marvel universe as Malekith. From start to finish, I feel this sequel out-did the first movie and showed us exactly how comic book adaptations are suppose to be: Fun, action pack and full of larger than life characters. Expand
  41. May 20, 2014
    The action scenes are as impressive as one would expect from a Marvel film, but forgettable characters and subpar dialogue make this sequel, as a whole, feel underwhelming and generically pieced together compared to previous Marvel installments. The redeeming quality that makes this film work the most is the charming tandem of Hemsworth and Hiddleston.
  42. Feb 20, 2014
    Well this was a surprise. I actually enjoyed a movie. They made a huge step forward compared to the first Thor. It has lot more action and and very SF oriented.
  43. Nov 22, 2014
    Thor 2 is really better than the first thor, and marvel has finally teloaded my memory to what happened in iron man 3, thor was the greatest superhero film of 2013 wich doesnt mean something.
  44. Dec 22, 2014
    Thor:The Dark World is Good movie with a lot of potentials to be a great movie.The Cast are great Chris Hemsworth is Great Being Thor,Tom Hiddleston is also great being Loki but the villain though is so forgettable and not so evil at all and a very Weak motivation.Thor the Dark World deserves a 7/10,Great actors,great soundtrack,and good humour made my score a little bit high but it'll beThor:The Dark World is Good movie with a lot of potentials to be a great movie.The Cast are great Chris Hemsworth is Great Being Thor,Tom Hiddleston is also great being Loki but the villain though is so forgettable and not so evil at all and a very Weak motivation.Thor the Dark World deserves a 7/10,Great actors,great soundtrack,and good humour made my score a little bit high but it'll be higher if they have Good villain and a better plot and did i say the cast are great??well not all of them some them needs to be develop well and portray the role well. Expand
  45. Dec 19, 2013
    After disappointing iron man 3 and terrible wolverine i didn't expect much from franchiser but gladly thor proved me wrong.Movie is funny and had a good story and amazing 3D effects.Acting is up to the standard and film really build the momentum to Avengers 2.They present big lie in a scientific way so its almost felt like real. kat dennings look so pretty and so funny.
  46. Nov 10, 2013
    Even if Thor 2 is not as god as the first one, it still one of the most entertaining movie of the year. Spectacular visuals and engrossing action mixed with mediocre plot and week villains.
  47. Nov 21, 2013
    Acting is great as usual. The dialogue is decent (Thor & Loki lines were awesome) though a bunch of the funny scenes/gags and lines seemed very forced and fell flat among the audience at the sold-out IMAX theater where I watched this film, but it does for the most part retain the humor that's prevalent in all the Marvel films. The overall action is decent, but only a couple of scenesActing is great as usual. The dialogue is decent (Thor & Loki lines were awesome) though a bunch of the funny scenes/gags and lines seemed very forced and fell flat among the audience at the sold-out IMAX theater where I watched this film, but it does for the most part retain the humor that's prevalent in all the Marvel films. The overall action is decent, but only a couple of scenes really impressed me that said there IS more action in this one than the last so that's a plus. Unsurprisingly, the special effects and the music score are fantastic and I'd say this film is worth seeing in IMAX. The plot on the other hand... well it seemed like it could've been improved more. That being said I did enjoy this movie and would recommend it if you like any of the other Marvel movies and if you liked the first Thor. Expand
  48. Mar 14, 2014
    I didn't think this movie was gonna be very good. I was pleasantly surprised. It as much, much better than the first. Better action, better story, more humor. Stay tuned after the credits, there are not one but two mid credit scenes.
  49. Feb 8, 2014
    A big improvement over its predecessor. Great action sequences, an appreciated sense of humor, consistent pacing, and an interesting plot that ends on an exciting note. The performances were mostly competent, with Tom Hiddleston being the top of them all.

Another fine addition to the Marvel franchise.
  50. May 23, 2015
    Thor: The Dark World proves to be somewhat entertaining. It plays out pretty much how you would expect it and it's just not all that great. There's nothing inherently wrong with this movie, it just only proves to be somewhat entertaining. Basically, if you liked the first Thor, you would enjoy this movie, and to everyone else, it's not an essential Marvel movie but it's worth your twoThor: The Dark World proves to be somewhat entertaining. It plays out pretty much how you would expect it and it's just not all that great. There's nothing inherently wrong with this movie, it just only proves to be somewhat entertaining. Basically, if you liked the first Thor, you would enjoy this movie, and to everyone else, it's not an essential Marvel movie but it's worth your two hours if you're bored. Expand
  51. Mar 29, 2014
    Thor: The Dark World was a great film. I loved it's action, I loved it's humor, I especially liked the idea that it kind of took a dark route that we really didn't see that much before in previous films in Marvel's Cinematic Universe. I wouldn't say I like this movie more or less than the first Thor, they both have good elements used in it and I would recommend both. However keep in mindThor: The Dark World was a great film. I loved it's action, I loved it's humor, I especially liked the idea that it kind of took a dark route that we really didn't see that much before in previous films in Marvel's Cinematic Universe. I wouldn't say I like this movie more or less than the first Thor, they both have good elements used in it and I would recommend both. However keep in mind that this film doesn't do anything you haven't seen before, it has a lot of themes in it that I would probably say seems kind of familiar; but the film uses those themes very well. Expand
  52. Nov 25, 2013
    It's fun like a really well done comic book. Renee Russo and Kat Dennings really made this movie fun. Now, if you could just somehow get Tom Hiddleston’s (Loki) acting talent into Chris Hemsworth's (Thor) body? THAT would be super!
  53. Dec 21, 2014
    This movie features a lot of action and epic special effects. It is a good movie to watch.The ending is weird and hard to understand. Overall, this is a great film.
  54. May 16, 2015
    Better than the first, several funny scenes and good fights, a good story, but still not having something very special, but the film is engaging fun, and has mysterious end, a good movie.
  55. Dec 2, 2014
    They are some good stuff and bad stuff about this movie. The good stuff is the SFX and sound mixing is very good and the acting. The bad stuff is this movie is confusing. Either watch it or Don,t. Replay Value: Moderate .
  56. Aug 5, 2014
    To me Thor 2 was not as good as Thor. It was still a good movie though.

my ratting 7.5/10 7.8/10 for action/special effects 7/10 for story 7.5/10 for acting and 7/10 for character/character development
  57. Apr 26, 2014
    Great CGI + Dumb Story + Goofy Acting = 5 stars out of 10. You could turn off the sound and still get what's going on. Just OK if you like this type of movie.
  58. Dec 16, 2013
    When I sat back watching this movie I was surprised how quickly the time passed. This movie was entertaining from start to finish. Asgard looks amazing. Many millions of dollars have been spent CGI'ing this film up the wazoo. And the fight scenes are pretty epic. But the whole time I watched this film something about it was bugging me. And it was this. Natalie Portman, who can be anWhen I sat back watching this movie I was surprised how quickly the time passed. This movie was entertaining from start to finish. Asgard looks amazing. Many millions of dollars have been spent CGI'ing this film up the wazoo. And the fight scenes are pretty epic. But the whole time I watched this film something about it was bugging me. And it was this. Natalie Portman, who can be an amazing actor when she isn't phoning it in, could be replaced with a cardboard cutout for 90% of this film and the movie would run through exactly the same. I am unfamiliar with the comic book upon which the movie is based but I highly doubt the female protagonist is supposed to be so one dimensional. Heck her sidekick Kat Dennings had a more interesting and dynamic story arc with the intern. Natalie Portman meantime looks pretty and gets rescued, until the last minute when she springs into action using tools her co-workers figured out and built without her input, to science/magic somehow help Thor in the big boss battle at the end. And even there her help is rivaled by her co-workers. Not exactly lead protagonist material. Expand
  59. Dec 13, 2014
    The story is shallow and limited whilst the antagonist is also unconvincing. But the biggest frustration is how this film feels like an entirely different story to it's predecessor, to the point where they seem like two different episodes in a TV show. This can make it feel insignificant which is a disappointment. However we do get to further explore Thor's relationships, brotherly andThe story is shallow and limited whilst the antagonist is also unconvincing. But the biggest frustration is how this film feels like an entirely different story to it's predecessor, to the point where they seem like two different episodes in a TV show. This can make it feel insignificant which is a disappointment. However we do get to further explore Thor's relationships, brotherly and otherwise. We also spent more time on Asgard which is a delight. The action scenes feel polished and the emotion that has a place throughout the entire film seems genuine. But the lack of links between the two Thor films are sadly quite heavy and withhold it from challenging Marvel films like Avengers Assemble and Captain America. Expand
  60. May 2, 2015
    darker and more brutal, maybe, but still have a similar opinion to the first movie. this movie is still fun though and i do encourage others to see this film
  61. Dec 28, 2013
    Thor: The Dark World is a touch better than the first installment, but simply doesn't focus enough on what I believe are the two film's greatest strengths (Tom Hiddleston's Loki and the fish out of water humor).
  62. Oct 31, 2014
    Prior to watching this: I thought the first film was beautiful but lacking in action scenes.
    Review:
    Pros: This had slightly more action scenes than the first film. The acting is good as in the first film. Cons: The plot with the purple power source and how Loki escape (again!) were weak. Just kill him already so we won't have him causing any more mischief and having any more aliens
    Review:
    Cons: The plot with the purple power source and how Loki escape (again!) were weak. Just kill him already so we won't have him causing any more mischief and having any more aliens invading Earth!
    3/5 - Good enough to watch for free on TV.
  63. Nov 8, 2013
    A very fun and high energy movie. Kat Dennings and Tom Hiddleston is what really made the movie. Dennings gave such a great comic relief and glad that she has more presence than the first movie. Hiddleston as Loki is the best casting, I don't really think anyone can do better.
  64. Nov 11, 2013
    Liked the first one even with it's somewhat lackluster second half but Thor 2 isn't very impressive. The majority of the movie is people talking most of the dialogue isn't really engaging nor important. The scenes with Loki are the highlight as is the last fightscene but everything else is pretty bland. The rest of the fightscenes are boring and the while the villain, Maliketh is veryLiked the first one even with it's somewhat lackluster second half but Thor 2 isn't very impressive. The majority of the movie is people talking most of the dialogue isn't really engaging nor important. The scenes with Loki are the highlight as is the last fightscene but everything else is pretty bland. The rest of the fightscenes are boring and the while the villain, Maliketh is very intimidating, he along with most of the movie is pretty generic. Save your money for Winter Soldier, Days of Future Past and Avengers 2. Expand
  65. Nov 10, 2013
    My wife loves sci-fi and being the sensitive husband I am, I've sat through "Ender's Game" last Sunday and "Thor: The Dark World" today. "Thor" won out but neither was bad.
    I vaguely recalled the plot from the first movie, but like it, I was more impressed with the special effects and settings. The shots of the Asgard capital and the invasion were truly impressive, as the numerous cosmos shots. Plotwise, it was standard stuff, good vs. evil, honesty vs. treachery, blah blah blah.
    What saves this sequel is the acting of Tom Middleston, aka Loki, who has more personality than any other actor on screen maybe except for Anthony Hopkins. Here his services are needed to beat the bad guys in a nine sphere (whatever that is) alignment whose vortex just happens to be Greenwich Village in London. Imagine that.
    The other saving grace is well placed genuinely funny scenes, some in the middle of chaos that keep things from getting too self righteous. Even Stan Lee gets a funny cameo.
    Otherwise, "Thor: The Dark World" doesn't exactly blow minds but for a get away movie that doesn't take itself too seriously, it'll do, especially in a year of a lot of clunkers. Still, I'd rather see "Captain Phillips" again.
  66. Nov 17, 2013
    Thor 2 is easy to forget, with a predictable story and character not so charismatic. Sometimes can be a little bit boring, but have some good action scenes.
  67. Nov 10, 2013
    This movie was way better than it's predecessor. The plot was much more complex and developed. The action was good and the movie stayed somewhat unpredictable. Loki's part in the film was well put together and was significant. Jane Foster didn't seem as out of place in this one however it was definitely not perfect. The "bad guy" was kinda boring cause we didn't get to learn much aboutThis movie was way better than it's predecessor. The plot was much more complex and developed. The action was good and the movie stayed somewhat unpredictable. Loki's part in the film was well put together and was significant. Jane Foster didn't seem as out of place in this one however it was definitely not perfect. The "bad guy" was kinda boring cause we didn't get to learn much about him. The movie had clever lines that made you crack a smile but nothing outrageously funny. Expand
  68. Jul 8, 2014
    סרט טוב, אך הוא קצת בעייתי בפעם השנייה שרואים אותו הוא הרבה פחות טוב. אם יש דבר אחד שהוא טוב בסרט שת'ור מופיע בו זה חייב להיות לוקי שאותו שיחק טום הידלסטון בצורה מושלמת כמו תמיד
  69. Jan 16, 2015
    Thor: The Dark World è senza ombra di dubbio uno dei migliori film di supereroi di sempre.Molto coinvolgente e più completa del primo ed epico capitolo.Un capolavoro assoluto.
  70. Nov 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film surprised the hell out of me! Is not like Thor was not a good movie, but this one took all the strongest points in the first one and it has improved them too much. What I liked the most: the scenarios as always perfect, really enjoyable in 3-D. The characters got a lot better, the improved the relationship between Thor and Loki really a lot, Thor does not trust Loki like he used to, is not blindly following him anymore. In the other hand, Loki had a believable reason to be by Thor's side this time, the loss of their mother, who was kind of the only one who shared a bond with Loki after the betrayal. Fridda surprised me way too much. The dramatic parts, and also the action were pretty well done. Overall I liked it way better than Thor 1, and a lot more than Avengers (I can't believe I'm actually comparing these 2). Expand
  71. Dec 12, 2013
    This movie was an improvement from the last Thor movie but not by much. Several hours after I saw it I didn't think about it. A good movie stays with you days after you see it if it's real good, not this one. I saw Oblivion with Tom Cruise the following day on Blue Ray and thought about it for days after. It's definitely not as good as the first 2 Iron Man movies and is not one of Marvel'sThis movie was an improvement from the last Thor movie but not by much. Several hours after I saw it I didn't think about it. A good movie stays with you days after you see it if it's real good, not this one. I saw Oblivion with Tom Cruise the following day on Blue Ray and thought about it for days after. It's definitely not as good as the first 2 Iron Man movies and is not one of Marvel's better franchises. It's a rental at best. Expand
  72. Nov 21, 2013
    Well I'm a fan of Asgardian mythology and Marvel movies so I'll try to stay a bit objective. I loved the movie. Sure it doesn't make sense to fight guys with laser guns with just some swords and shields, but it adds to the action right? So if you take that for granted and just enjoy what's in front of you, which is a visual spectacle, it's a nice ride. Good pace is also enjoyable.
  73. Nov 11, 2013
    It has to be hard for the people making these phase two movies to make a movie that works as both a sequel to a previous movie, and as a follow-up to the avengers which is exactly the problem that I had with iron man 3. The Dark World however is a perfect example of how that can be done right with a good story, a cool villain (in my opinion), a lot of jokes (maybe a bit to many) andIt has to be hard for the people making these phase two movies to make a movie that works as both a sequel to a previous movie, and as a follow-up to the avengers which is exactly the problem that I had with iron man 3. The Dark World however is a perfect example of how that can be done right with a good story, a cool villain (in my opinion), a lot of jokes (maybe a bit to many) and awesome action scenes. The cast is given a bit more to do this time around especially character like Frigga and Heimdall, but the standout here is obviously Loki. My only complaints are that it's a bit too short and the plot doesn't really get going until about halfway in. Still, this is a great movie and a fantastic addition to the MCU. P.S. Remember to stay after the credits! Expand
  74. Feb 4, 2014
    totally unexpected really enjoyed it. Funny at times and lots of action, drags slightly near the end but certainly not enough to spoil it. Overall I was pleasantly surprised. Roll on Thor 3
  75. Jan 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film fits into the MCU very nicely. If you weren't a fan of the Avengers collective already then this probably isn't the film that's going to win you over but if like me you're already well invested in the series then Thor 2 is a nice addition. It progresses Thor's story pretty well, raises some questions about the next Avengers film, the characters are well developed and the action sequences are awesome to watch.
    Some of the dialogue can be a bit cheesey at times but you kind of have to forgive a bit of cheesiness in a film about a comic book hero based on norse mythology. Also Malekith isn't the most impressive villain. *spoilers start here* There isn't a great deal of personality or motivation in his character, pretty much the only background we for him is "da bad guy gon' do bad tings." He has two fight sequences in the whole film. The first one he gets his arse handed to him by Thor's mammy and the second one is his final fight with Thor himself which he inevitably loses. Against the previous bad guy, Loki (who's character development and eventual fate are extremely intriguing in this film), he doesn't really measure up.
    Overall this film is worth seeing and certainly enjoyable if you are a fan of the Avengers films. But if not then it's not going do much for you.
  76. Dec 21, 2013
    The fact that the debate which Marvel superhero is the best since it has insured (for now): Thor. The movie is one of the best I saw in the year (the 8th in the Top 10 of the year). Tom Hiddleston Loki continues to surprise once more and the villain is not even reach the heels. The performances are incredible, the script a bit worn, but does like, the end and the doubts that leaves youThe fact that the debate which Marvel superhero is the best since it has insured (for now): Thor. The movie is one of the best I saw in the year (the 8th in the Top 10 of the year). Tom Hiddleston Loki continues to surprise once more and the villain is not even reach the heels. The performances are incredible, the script a bit worn, but does like, the end and the doubts that leaves you (clearly be resolved in any other Marvel film), the comedic moments will elicit a laugh. The only bad thing: a few minutes that means get bored. The finding: the cameo by Stan Lee and Chris Evans are very well prepared. Expand
  77. Jul 28, 2014
    Tek kelimeyle çok iyi film, hazır bu kadar iyi THOR ve LOKI yakalamışken çekebildikleri kadar çekmeleri lazım bu filmleri. Kastın kalanı da çok iyi seçildiği için her film diğerinden bir kademe daha iyi olacaktır muhtemelen.
  78. May 1, 2014
    This is my least favorite marvel film after Iron Man 3. The great villain is unfortunately completely wasted on this very dry, stereotypical, by the numbers film. There is too much humor, and even the action looks boring and uninspired. The final sequence is one of the worst of any action film I've seen. It feels like nothing of this matters, including the characters.
  79. May 29, 2014
    great visual as the thor dark world continues the marvel cinematic universe story with great performances and much more action than thor 1 alan Talylor knows how to blend in the comedy with the the troubles of an marvel god as well as more action sequences .
  80. Nov 17, 2013
    Better Than The First Thor Due to A Engaging Plot, Fun Characters, Humor, Action, SFX, And More but One Thing I Though Was A Little Eh Is The Shoehorned Side-Plot Of Darcy And Ian (Her Intern).
  81. Apr 20, 2014
    Once again, excellent work my the Marvel Cinematic Universe. True, it isn't perfect; Thor's love interest isn't given much to do, and the villain is a walking chiche. But the wit and energized mayhem that makes Marvel so entertaining is still there.
  82. Nov 13, 2014
    This movie has far too many clichés, and unfortunately, ordered in the right way to form one of the most cliché plots. Sitting in the theater the first time, I constantly thought of how I somehow saw this movie before, but I couldn't remember what movie that was because it was so forgettable. As if cliché's weren't enough, there are some imitations of: The Lord of the Rings, Portal,This movie has far too many clichés, and unfortunately, ordered in the right way to form one of the most cliché plots. Sitting in the theater the first time, I constantly thought of how I somehow saw this movie before, but I couldn't remember what movie that was because it was so forgettable. As if cliché's weren't enough, there are some imitations of: The Lord of the Rings, Portal, Skyrim, The Legend of Zelda, previous Marvel movies, and any movie that features a stock villain. Expand
  83. Nov 8, 2013
    This movie was amazing. The scale of the worlds was immense and the effects were amazing. The plot was also fantastic. Loki, as always, steals the show. But to be honest, the best part of the movie was the after credits scene. SPOILER ALERT: It contains a reference to the infinity stones, referring to the tesseract and the aether as two of the six. If you're a Marvel fan, then you'll be asThis movie was amazing. The scale of the worlds was immense and the effects were amazing. The plot was also fantastic. Loki, as always, steals the show. But to be honest, the best part of the movie was the after credits scene. SPOILER ALERT: It contains a reference to the infinity stones, referring to the tesseract and the aether as two of the six. If you're a Marvel fan, then you'll be as giddy as a little school girl. Expand
  84. Jan 2, 2014
    Loki stole the show. Tom Hiddleston really knows how to make his fandom proud and how to attract viewers to watch this sequel over and over again. However, like most movies, the first movie has a better storyline and is more exciting to watch. Compared to other superhero movie sequels, this movie is not too shabby.
  85. Nov 24, 2013
    Can't understand the critics. This is a very entertaining movie. Load of actions, stunning CGI effects, plot twists galore and funny moments. Can't ask for much more, except maybe Natalie Portman could act with more feelings. I thoroughly enjoyed it!
  86. Nov 8, 2013
    Bear in mind I have never seen Thor, the original movie, but from what I heard, that movie was somewhat middle of the road. The Dark World appears to not move past that mindset, but at least they did it in a competent fashion.

Plot is simplistic and predictable, but the execution was moderate. Simple good vs. evil battle but the pacing and unfolding of events kept me distracted enough. However, some of the secondary plots are quite head scratching. The romance "triangle" between Thor, Jane and that Asgardian female is mentioned, but not shown in great detail and is left as pointless tripe given that it fell apart by the second act. Although it is refreshing to see Loki once again seizing opportunity that passes by, and that is a secondary plot that has effected the movie entirely. The post credits scene (a staple given that it will lead to Avengers 2), does provide a few hints of how this movie's McGuffin would be used in the coming Avengers film.

The characters are very 2 dimensional and flat, with the exception of Loki. What I despise most of the characters however were the Earth humans with the exception of Natalie Portman, and even she is somewhat guilty of this. In the movie, she is clearly there are nothing but a traditional damsel-in-distress. Think of her time as Padme in Star Wars, but at least she has some function. In fact, anytime the movie transitions away from Asgard, the humans only fulfill a comic role. In this sense, it was suffering the Transformers disease; superfluous characters that have nothing to do with the main plot providing comedy. Although it isn't done excessively, and they actually have some use in the climax, it is still very obvious that the writers have no idea what to do with them.

Special effects was passable. Fight choreography and action was almost above average. Particularly memorable was Thor's mother fighting, or the two brothers fighting side-by side. But CGI is quite possible the most horrible I've seen this year. You will never believe any artifact produced actually existed in the real world. The alien ships look poorly rendered compared to those in Star Trek or Man of Steel. Thor's hammer look comically plastic and unbelievable. The "sandstorms" are just clouds of opaque smoke without any resolution or clarity to define the finer details. It's clear CG was not very well refined.

Overall, this is a simple popcorn movie that is enjoyable as long as you do not expect anything above average from it. Otherwise be disappointed by flat characters, shoddy CGI, and unnecessary padded content from characters that clearly should have waited for the third act, or the writer did not bother to fill their time on screen with something more productive (hint: nudity isn't nice to watch). But even with low expectations, I do not have a strong impression of the movie once I left the theater. Leaves no lasting impressions, beyond possible future plot points for other Marvel crossovers.
  87. Nov 12, 2013
    entertaining and funny. great bad guys. loki creepy as always. asgardian army needs some training though lol...looked like mannequins and hapless against the invasion. decent entertainment!
  88. Nov 24, 2013
    While better than the first, the sequel provides much more danger, darkness, and an adventurous story that fans are sure to love, but the film still follows the much overdone formula of every other Marvel movie (or superhero movie for that matter).
  89. Nov 17, 2013
    It seems as though Thor: The Dark World came off as a mediocre superhero sequel. Yes, the special effects were good, but in terms of actual value, this does not induce too many laughs nor does it keep viewers on the edge of their seat. It is hard to follow, not very engaging, and convoluted in its plot. There are many more better superhero movies out there (note how public reviews areIt seems as though Thor: The Dark World came off as a mediocre superhero sequel. Yes, the special effects were good, but in terms of actual value, this does not induce too many laughs nor does it keep viewers on the edge of their seat. It is hard to follow, not very engaging, and convoluted in its plot. There are many more better superhero movies out there (note how public reviews are generally positive, while critical reviews are lukewarm at best). I am not advising against seeing this: I am just saying that there are definitely better ways to use two hours of time. Expand
  90. Jan 20, 2014
    I really really enjoyed this movie. Where the first Thor film was merely a funny action film, this movie takes on a more serious tone and the actors really deliver. Tom Hiddleston reprises his role as Loki and easily hits it out of the park, stealing a lot of Hemsworth's thunder. The only thing stopping this movie from being great is that it takes a long time to get going and fails toI really really enjoyed this movie. Where the first Thor film was merely a funny action film, this movie takes on a more serious tone and the actors really deliver. Tom Hiddleston reprises his role as Loki and easily hits it out of the park, stealing a lot of Hemsworth's thunder. The only thing stopping this movie from being great is that it takes a long time to get going and fails to capitalize at the end. Expand
  91. Jan 25, 2014
    The plot is tied after the events of the Avengers , the protagonist Thor returns along with Loki to his father Odin ( Anthony Hopkins ) in Asgard.Odin Loki sent to prison.

After that, Thor returns to Earth to his love Jane Foster . But their relationship does not represent dilemma . Soon Jane stumbles upon Ether which need dark elves led the Accursed ( Thor Loki releases to deal with

Thor Loki releases to deal with the dark elves . Despite the excellent special effects sometimes funny jokes in the film are constantly trying to make a joke . For example the scene is tense and a minute later another joke . Nature of the characters spelled bad. Loki is the best and the expected character . Christopher good actor , but he came out of the villain quite weak.
  92. Dec 5, 2013
    Coming from someone who didn't enjoy the first Thor film I think Thor: The Dark World is a huge step up. I wanted more Asgard (delivered). Natalie Portman has become a little unnecessary I don't know why Marvel seems to think all of the super heroes need a love interest just because they're now making movies but I found her kind of annoying. Also, can Loki get his own movie? Tom HiddlestonComing from someone who didn't enjoy the first Thor film I think Thor: The Dark World is a huge step up. I wanted more Asgard (delivered). Natalie Portman has become a little unnecessary I don't know why Marvel seems to think all of the super heroes need a love interest just because they're now making movies but I found her kind of annoying. Also, can Loki get his own movie? Tom Hiddleston is absolutely killing it!!! It's going to be fun to continue to see Thor develop and it's going to be even more fun to see what Loki does to spoil it. Expand
  93. Dec 14, 2013
    Marvel are having a streak of good movies and this is no exception. It has all the elements, action, romance, comedy with a pinch of serious drama. However a few of these key elements are done slightly average, but we'll talk about that later. The story started on a high note for me. As a kid I loved the whole Asgardian lore, knowing that it actually had historical value I was a majorMarvel are having a streak of good movies and this is no exception. It has all the elements, action, romance, comedy with a pinch of serious drama. However a few of these key elements are done slightly average, but we'll talk about that later. The story started on a high note for me. As a kid I loved the whole Asgardian lore, knowing that it actually had historical value I was a major geek I still love it now. Initially, we see Thor's grandfather Bhor, who's fighting the dark elfs, led by Maleikith. Bhor wins by stealing the Aether, a device capable of mass destruction. After losing his ace, Maleikith go's into hiding, and Bhor hides the Aether in a place that NO ONE will find... Of course that lasts less than 30 minutes, resulting in Jane Foster hitting Thor in the face and the dark elfs awaken. And I'm glad they did!!! The action here is great!!! Game of Thrones and Asagardian legend is a match made in heaven! Credit to the director. The comedy is also on par with this standard. Darsey, Eric and Loki are brilliant, with Thor giving an acasional glimpse of humor. However the romance doesn't fare so well. It feels very forced, and there's no chemistry between the two. The villain follows the same route. Maleikith is very generic, stereotypical and we just simply don't see enough of him. Then thank god for Loki. Some of the best scences of the film contain Loki. He's perfectly played by Tom Hiddleston. He's got the charisma, the dark humor and the constant surprises. Thor The Dark World is disappointing in some respects, but is still an overall good film. Expand
  94. Nov 8, 2013
    Thor 2 is a huge improvement over Thor 1. Everything about this movie excelled my expectations, The action is truly epic, its a lot more brutal and darker. the Villain was done properly!! finally Marvel!! Malekeith is brutal, heartless, and a force to be reckon with, his personal bodyguard gave Thor some much needed challenge. Loki is brilliant as always, the movie rarely slows down andThor 2 is a huge improvement over Thor 1. Everything about this movie excelled my expectations, The action is truly epic, its a lot more brutal and darker. the Villain was done properly!! finally Marvel!! Malekeith is brutal, heartless, and a force to be reckon with, his personal bodyguard gave Thor some much needed challenge. Loki is brilliant as always, the movie rarely slows down and the action has a great pace, it has some cheesy moments with awkward humor, but does not distract from the overall experience. Thor uses all his powers and the effects are superb. DO NOT MISS THE BEGINNING CREDITS AND THE POST CREDITS SCENES.

PS: dat shape shifting cameo, genius
  95. Nov 24, 2013
    A fantastically great movie. If you've seen the original Thor, don't despair, this one's way better. If you liked the Avengers, this one topped it in my opinion phenomenal graphics and score, a great ensemble of characters, Loki (ye old norse gods, I love Loki!), smart dialog and the highest praise I personally can accord a movie internal logical consistency. Fine storytelling, someA fantastically great movie. If you've seen the original Thor, don't despair, this one's way better. If you liked the Avengers, this one topped it in my opinion phenomenal graphics and score, a great ensemble of characters, Loki (ye old norse gods, I love Loki!), smart dialog and the highest praise I personally can accord a movie internal logical consistency. Fine storytelling, some real puzzlers left for continuity, but no extreme and clumsy cliffhangering. I'd go see it again right now if I could. Go spoil yourselves, this is the movie to see this day and month... Expand
  96. Dec 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Let me tell you something about me. I'm a big fan of superhero movies, despite the fact they are all bad and dumb. You cannot make them smart, it is extremely difficult to come up with a good story for these types of movies that the audience may relate to. It's superheroes, it's just not believable, and the people making these movies are bound by Hollywood formulas and bunch of other constraints, and they feel like they are exempt from creating a good story since they have all those special effects. However, I like them because with today's technology they can put pretty much what ever they like on the screen. There is no limit to special effects. So, they are dumb, but they are spectacular and enjoyable. There were a couple of them though that I couldn't abide, that were so insanely stupid and poorly written, you just could not forgive. The latest one like that was the last Batman movie that abomination with Bane. Well, the latest one prior to this movie!!! I think they killed the whole genre for me with this one. I simply never want to see another superhero movie again, ever! This movie is so dry, uninteresting, dumb, boring, I was actually playing solitaire on my phone for good portions of the movie. Now I realize I should have been playing throughout the screening. I feel bad for the cast wrecking their careers with this one. Here's just one piece of spoiler for you: The villain trying to destroy the universe was defeated with the help of Nintendo. They couldn't have done it without it. Thor is dumber than ever. He's just clueless, but still wiser than Odin, who turns dumber than Thor in part one. Not that there's anything interesting going on they might be aware of. Heimdall can't see sh.., the warriors three are quite... Listen, all characters are simply redundant, and the movie would be better off just showing the stars and skyline of London for two hours. You have been warned. Expand
  97. Nov 20, 2013
    I basically got what I expected out of this movie: a bunch of pretty people talking and fighting over things which I couldn't care less about. This movie has plenty of action and special effects, but those are ultimately wasted because they mostly involve characters or locations that we simply don't know or sympathize with. The main problem with this franchise is that it tries to split ourI basically got what I expected out of this movie: a bunch of pretty people talking and fighting over things which I couldn't care less about. This movie has plenty of action and special effects, but those are ultimately wasted because they mostly involve characters or locations that we simply don't know or sympathize with. The main problem with this franchise is that it tries to split our attention between two different realms, but fails to adequately develop either. I will say, however, that Loki is delightful, as always, and there are some very funny moments this time. Expand
  98. Nov 25, 2013
    A great improvement over the first film in 2011. Thor The Dark World has better performances by Hemsworth and Hiddleston, better visuals and a much more fun atmosphere. I always look forward to Marvel films, as silly as they are and they are all flawed, they are always great fun and this was no exception.
  99. Nov 17, 2013
    Much better than the 1st. It is nice to see a Thor movie where Thor is Thor during the entire movie. I would prefer that they ditch the romance angle and concentrate on Thor only. When is Marvel going to remake some of the classic comic stories that made these heroes what they are today? I do admit that Lokai steals many scenes throughout the movie. It was good that they saw hisMuch better than the 1st. It is nice to see a Thor movie where Thor is Thor during the entire movie. I would prefer that they ditch the romance angle and concentrate on Thor only. When is Marvel going to remake some of the classic comic stories that made these heroes what they are today? I do admit that Lokai steals many scenes throughout the movie. It was good that they saw his possibilities. Nice plot twists too. Expand
  100. Nov 23, 2013
    For lover of the genre the movie is really well done and the plot correctly followed the entire Marvel universe showed in others Marvel movies. Good special effect. Everythings is linked in good way with The first chapter. I am very keen of the saga and I can't wait to see the Thor 3. In my opinion the best character is loki! Wonderfull acting!

1. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Nov 8, 2013
    The movie is pretty to look at in a "Transformers" sort of way and moves briskly enough that it never threatens to bore, but it's hard to feel much of anything about the characters and, when it's all over, there's a sense that everything that happens is obligatory.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Nov 8, 2013
    My favorite moment in the movie: Astrophysicist Erik Selvig (Stellan Skarsgard) insisting on wearing only his underwear because he says he thinks better that way. Hey, whatever works.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Nov 8, 2013
    None of that is to say that Thor: The Dark World is a bad movie, necessarily. I would never speak ill of a man with a giant, magical hammer. At the same time, hammer or no hammer, it doesn't quite nail it, either.