Thor: The Dark World

7.4

1. Jul 17, 2016
    Marvel Studios STOP ruining Thor for future generations! Just stop! Again we have yet another MCU title with no intelligent plot, a terribly weak villain and no character development. All comic-book lovers should consider boycotting these movies until Feige gets his **** together. Overall, this movie will be forgotten in T-minus one second.
  2. Jul 2, 2016
    The only thing good about the movie was the action. The Thor series has to be one of the most boring series of all time. It's only slightly better than the first. The movie the critics were talking about was different from the one I watched. This movie just sucks
  3. Jun 25, 2016
    Thor is back – and it’s a messy, but entertaining one. We’re back to the Marvel universe & it’s a somewhat entertaining ride, but a very explainable one. Expositions, facts and action might be its greatest downfall. There’s not that much room for any character-depth – it’s all about the plot and the plot only. But what wouldn’t we all do for a cool and action driven CGI-flick, right!? It’sThor is back – and it’s a messy, but entertaining one. We’re back to the Marvel universe & it’s a somewhat entertaining ride, but a very explainable one. Expositions, facts and action might be its greatest downfall. There’s not that much room for any character-depth – it’s all about the plot and the plot only. But what wouldn’t we all do for a cool and action driven CGI-flick, right!? It’s pretty enjoyable with all these intense things happening at once -- but it sure isn’t perfect. Add rushed romance, convenient & accidental plot-events, a cliché-ish villain and minor plot holes, well it’s definitely not Marvel’s finest. But it’s an enjoyable ride.

Personal rating: 78/100
    Critical rating: 55/100
  4. Jun 15, 2016
    This isn't like Empire Strikes Bake good, but Marvel's Thor: The Dark World is still better than the original and is a hammer worthy edition to the Marvel Universe!
  5. May 17, 2016
    Thor: The Dark World is a sequel to the 2011 Marvel movie "Thor" as well as 2012's smash hit "The Avengers", which also starred Thor.

Plot Synopsis In ancient times, the gods of Asgard fought and won a war against an evil race known as the Dark Elves. The survivors were neutralized, and their ultimate weapon -- the Aether -- was buried in a secret location. Hundreds of years later,

Plot Synopsis
    In ancient times, the gods of Asgard fought and won a war against an evil race known as the Dark Elves. The survivors were neutralized, and their ultimate weapon -- the Aether -- was buried in a secret location. Hundreds of years later, Jane Foster (Natalie Portman) finds the Aether and becomes its host, forcing Thor (Chris Hemsworth) to bring her to Asgard before Dark Elf Malekith (Christopher Eccleston) captures her and uses the weapon to destroy the Nine Realms -- including Earth.

Thor: The Dark World was an interesting movie for me to watch, because I really enjoyed The Avengers, but I really didn't enjoy Thor at all. I found myself having a headache while watching that first movie, due to all of the dutch angles.

Thankfully, The Dark World delivers on much better levels than the original film did which is rare. This film's story was consistently gripping and I did find myself caring about it. However, at times it can get a bit messy, and in fact there were times when I watched this movie, that I didn't know what the character's were about to do.

The action sequences are very fun, which is what you should come to expect with Marvel movies. It's filled with fun action scenes that are executed fairly. The CGI is also fine, except for some scenes in which it was very obvious that it was CGI.

The Dark World also has a very good sense of humor to it, which actually did make me laugh when there was an emotional draught in the story.

In the end, Thor: The Dark World is a very fun Marvel movie that shouldn't be forgotten too soon.
  6. May 5, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Thor: The Dark World is on the same level of Iron Man 2 of quality for the MCU. It is not as good as its brethren but it is still a decent movie in its own right. The film is set right after "The Avengers" ("Avengers: Assemble" in the UK). He travels through different worlds until he once again meets his Girlfriend Jane Foster. His world is once again turned upside down when Asgard is attacked by Malekith. The film has some mixed aspects about it. The biggest weakness to this film was the main villain who is by far the most boring villain in the MCU. Say what you will about the villain from "Iron Man 3" was at least he had a memorable presence. He is only there to be nothing more than an obstacle for Thor to overcome. In fact his henchman is more interesting than him. The dark world itself is also not that interesting to look at. The action is a little standard with the exception of the final fight which involves going through many portals and fighting through the dimensions. The rest of the worlds lack the visual flair which is evident by Kenneth Branagh's absence. With those flaws aside Thor himself has really changed. He is is now more responsible and is less cocky than he was in the previous film. His comrade with the warriors three is still strong even though they do not have enough screen time. Some may have issue with Kat Dennings comedic antics but I personally found them harmless. The relationship Thor has with Foster is still a cute relationship but it is not that developed as it could have been. The major highlight was the team up between Thor and Loki. The best comedy comes from the interactions between the brothers especially when he shape shifted in to Captain America. The most emotional moment was the death of Friga. It was a death that I did not see coming and I actually felt sorry for the loss. It even drove apart Thor and Odin as the later is consumed by a lust for revenge which unfortunately is not explored as he is replaced by Loki in the end. It is a harmless film that will keep you entertained for a while and is worth a rental. Expand
  7. Apr 25, 2016
    Thor II: The dark world may have a great beginning, different of the original, and uses colorless story-telling and unremarkable characters. If Loki wouldn't appear in this sequel, the succes wouldn't be the same as the real one. Only the youngest viewers will like this film.
  8. Apr 21, 2016
    It's kind of okay, there some good stuff here and there, I will say Thor and Loki are the best things about this film, the action is pretty good, but the movie is a bit messy and confused. There is a lot of clichés and it often turns into a CGI crapfest. The villain is the worst thing about it, he is one of the worst villain in a comic book movie we had so far, he is just a combination ofIt's kind of okay, there some good stuff here and there, I will say Thor and Loki are the best things about this film, the action is pretty good, but the movie is a bit messy and confused. There is a lot of clichés and it often turns into a CGI crapfest. The villain is the worst thing about it, he is one of the worst villain in a comic book movie we had so far, he is just a combination of clichés about movie bad guys with no personality or any intriguing aspects about him, he is just bland and poorly developed. If you are a big Marvel fanboy you might enjoy it, but if you're not it is a one time watch. Expand
  9. Apr 20, 2016
    Ive watched many bad superhero movies but this right here takes the cake(well after a few other bad movies i just added this to reach the minimum quota for characters or look I'm over 150 yay)
  10. Apr 17, 2016
    It has to be hard for the people making these phase two movies to make a movie that works as both a sequel to a previous movie, and as a follow-up to the avengers which is exactly the problem that I had with iron man 3. The Dark World however is a perfect example of how that can be done right with a good story, a cool villain (in my opinion), a lot of jokes (maybe a bit to many) andIt has to be hard for the people making these phase two movies to make a movie that works as both a sequel to a previous movie, and as a follow-up to the avengers which is exactly the problem that I had with iron man 3. The Dark World however is a perfect example of how that can be done right with a good story, a cool villain (in my opinion), a lot of jokes (maybe a bit to many) and awesome action scenes. The cast is given a bit more to do this time around especially character like Frigga and Heimdall, but the standout here is obviously Loki. My only complaints are that it's a bit too short and the plot doesn't really get going until about halfway in. Still, this is a great movie and a fantastic addition to the MCU. P.S. Remember to stay after the credits! Expand
  11. Mar 28, 2016
    This movie is terrible, I am really unable to understand how anyone likes this. From the antagonist to the main lead (they should've cast a slice of bread instead and still no one would've noticed), this isn't even half the movie that the first one was (which I actually liked). The movie is boring and really shows how overrated the marvel brand name has become.
  12. Mar 27, 2016
    Ha sido mejor que Iron Man 3, tiene un villano auténtico, la película ha sido mejor que la primera del Vengador Poderoso, tiene todo lo que le faltaba, la película sigue los hechos que causó Loki (Tom Hiddleston) en la Tierra, siendo encarcelado por sus crímenes, mientras Thor (Chris Hemsworth) restaura el orden en los 9 reinos, mientras que un antiguo ser malévolo llamado MalekithHa sido mejor que Iron Man 3, tiene un villano auténtico, la película ha sido mejor que la primera del Vengador Poderoso, tiene todo lo que le faltaba, la película sigue los hechos que causó Loki (Tom Hiddleston) en la Tierra, siendo encarcelado por sus crímenes, mientras Thor (Chris Hemsworth) restaura el orden en los 9 reinos, mientras que un antiguo ser malévolo llamado Malekith (Christopher Eccleston) despierta de su sueño para recuperar un poder que le permitirá poner en oscuridad al universo entero, a mi parecer la película comienza bien, tiene acción para dar y tomar, además los 9 reinos tienen más presencia en el filme y hay menos tiempo en la Tierra, Asgard luce mucho más impresionante, así como con el reino de los Elfos Oscuros, la parte que más me gusto fue la batalla final en Londres, es una locura total al igual que un cameo para partirse de risa, Chris Hemsworth una vez más es digno de ser el dios del trueno, su personaje ha tenido un progreso impresionante a partir de sus apariciones previas, más maduro, razonable y héroico, Natalie Portman como Jane Foster ha mejorado un poco su personaje, el cual ahora es importante en la trama ya que ella lleva lo que el antagonista quiere, hablando de él, no está mal pero debió tener más presencia es uno de los puntos malos de la cinta, Loki, aquí lo he sentido como personaje neutral, pero en mi caso no se lleva mi atención, ya que parte de la película la pasa encerrado, aunque es más divertido al hablar, pero es un buen papel, el resto de personajes tanto los viejos como los nuevos están bien, incluso Darcy es más divertida que antes, al final de cuentas he disfrutado muy bien esta película aún más que Iron Man 3, pero no llega a ser mejor que Los Vengadores, he visto opiniones de que esta película es mala por que se exceden con la comedia y no es cierto, todo lo tiene equilibrado hay partes épicas, emotivas, hasta intrigantes que la comedia escasea, la gracia está en Midgard (Tierra), además el Mjolnir viajaba entre mundos por eso Thor cogió el metro de Londres, la parte final de la película tiene un giro inesperado que da cabida a una tercera entrega obligada, al final de cuentas la pasé bien salvo la interpretación de Malekith y de una pareja de enamorados idiotas, hay una escena post-créditos vínculada a una próxima película más allá de nuestra galaxia y otra en lo que Thor decide hacer algo. Expand
  13. Mar 20, 2016
    Thor: The Dark World offers the kind of straightforward action/adventure yarn that adherents of the genre will appreciate. It's an example of superhero filmmaking 101 at work with high octane fights and special effects-fueled eye candy trumping narrative. The movie is pretty to look at in a Transformers sort of way and moves briskly enough that it never threatens to bore, but it's hard toThor: The Dark World offers the kind of straightforward action/adventure yarn that adherents of the genre will appreciate. It's an example of superhero filmmaking 101 at work with high octane fights and special effects-fueled eye candy trumping narrative. The movie is pretty to look at in a Transformers sort of way and moves briskly enough that it never threatens to bore, but it's hard to feel much of anything about the characters and, when it's all over, there's a sense that everything that happens is obligatory. Thor is essentially Marvel's answer to Superman and, as with The Man of Steel, it can be difficult to craft a tale around a hero who is essentially invincible.

The enemy this time around is Malekith (Christopher Eccleston), the King of the Dark Elves, who may be the worst developed villain in any Marvel movie. His motives are Blofeld-esque on a grand scale: use the power of the indestructible Aether to blast the nine realms back into primordial darkness. Having failed once in the time of Thor's grandfather, he's back to try again. He has a henchman or two and drives around in space in a really big ship equipped with a cloaking device.

Buried under pounds of prosthetics and makeup, Christopher Eccleston (who once played the ninth Doctor Who) is unrecognizable. He growls his lines with appropriate Bane-like menace, although there aren't many of them. It begs the question of why the filmmakers bothered with a "name" actor when not even his family will recognize him. As a character, Malekith is about as one-dimensional as a villain can be. His backstory is truncated and he's not given enough screen time to be more than passingly menacing. The only thing interesting about him is when he goes one-on-one with Thor (Chris Hemsworth) in an admittedly fun battle that has the two of them popping through space from planet to planet (with Thor's hammer desperately trying to catch up).

The screenplay neatly dispenses with the elephant in the room of "where are the rest of The Avengers?" (an issue that hamstrung Iron Man 3) by having most of the action take place off-planet. Asgard is nicely rendered although it seemed more grandiose when Kenneth Branagh envisioned it in the first Thor. This time around, director Alan Taylor sees it as a smaller, less majestic place. Perhaps that's necessary to the story. The kinds of indignities suffered by the gods this time around might not have worked in Branagh's version of the realm.

Two characters enable Thor: The Dark World to occasionally transcend the generic mediocrity that defines this endeavor. Tom Hiddleston's Loki, making his third appearance, has grown so comfortable in the role that he's able to steal every scene in which he appears. Thor: The Dark World comes to life when Hiddleston is on screen and his interaction with Hemsworth evidences far more chemistry than the rather feeble spark evident between Thor and his lady love, Jane Foster (Natalie Portman). Then there's Kat Dennings' sharp-tongued Darcy, who is by far the most interesting secondary character not named Loki. I'd love to see a movie in which Darcy and Loki team up and go on an adventure - it would be worth the price of admission for the actors alone.

Thor: The Dark World is occasionally elevated by the moments when it plants tongue in cheek and decides not to take itself too seriously. Hiddleston and Dennings' dialogue is often representative of this as are scenes when Thor literally hangs up his hammer or boards a train in the London underground and asks directions. In fact, it's possible to make a compelling case that the film is at its best when it's taking a break from the primary storyline.

Thor: The Dark World is really just a placeholder to keep fans from losing interest between The Avengers and its sequel. This movie, like Iron Man 3, might have worked better had it existed outside the long shadow cast by Joss Whedon's massive team up. Once a franchise enters the realm of the epic, it's hard to satisfy by backtracking and there are only so many times a hero (or group of heroes) can face Armageddon without it becoming redundant. Thor: The Dark World delivers in a generic superhero fashion by offering a couple hours' diversion (with inter-credits and post-credits scenes to keep butts in seats for the entire running time) but one can be excused for finding the overall experience a little stale.
  14. Mar 12, 2016
    I May get some hate for this but I thought Thor the dark world belongs on marvels mediocre list. It was good just not great. I thought this one had more exciting action but the first had a better story and acting. Also the plot had little explanation and lots of sub oar dialogue. Tom hiddlstons loki was very good as usual however the villain was incredibly one dimensional. The human castI May get some hate for this but I thought Thor the dark world belongs on marvels mediocre list. It was good just not great. I thought this one had more exciting action but the first had a better story and acting. Also the plot had little explanation and lots of sub oar dialogue. Tom hiddlstons loki was very good as usual however the villain was incredibly one dimensional. The human cast took a giant step back and was not very good unlike the last one but Thor reprises his role very well. This movie is not a train wreck but very forgettable and overall i disliked it more than i thought it was. Expand
  15. Feb 11, 2016
    Thor: the dark world is the sequel to Thor, and the first Mcu sequel to a character other than iron man. Firstly the action is pretty amazing, as well as the fight scenes. The acting and cast are good, and the comedy was right on point. As well, the character development between Thor and Loki was the highlight of the film. However, this movie has many problems. Firstly the character fromThor: the dark world is the sequel to Thor, and the first Mcu sequel to a character other than iron man. Firstly the action is pretty amazing, as well as the fight scenes. The acting and cast are good, and the comedy was right on point. As well, the character development between Thor and Loki was the highlight of the film. However, this movie has many problems. Firstly the character from the first movie that was annoying, became twice as annoying. Not only that but the over-complicated plot line is very hard to follow and by the end you don't really know what was going on. The villain is yet again boring and underdeveloped and many of the scenes in the film make no sense. Altogether Thor: the dark world is the weakest of the Mcu films and possibly the least important. Expand
  16. Feb 4, 2016
    Thor: The Dark World is pretty to look at and while enjoyable too, Marvel brings us another Thor movie to pull us out of our seats. I'm like pretty sure the next installment could do a lot better though.
  17. Jan 5, 2016
    WHAT I LIKED: A fairly formulaic venture by marvel - by far the highlight of this film is the developing relationship between Thor and Loki; 'Thor: The Dark World' feels on a larger scale which improves over the first Thor in that regard, plus there are the occasional emotional turns which add a little depth. Worth noting also are the special effects and world building from Game ofWHAT I LIKED: A fairly formulaic venture by marvel - by far the highlight of this film is the developing relationship between Thor and Loki; 'Thor: The Dark World' feels on a larger scale which improves over the first Thor in that regard, plus there are the occasional emotional turns which add a little depth. Worth noting also are the special effects and world building from Game of throne's Alan Taylor...
    WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: It's just pretty dull - not only in a a visual sense (the dark visuals get very tiring on the eye), but the samey action scenes were in over-abundance here. Also, the bizzare plot is pretty boring yet it gets rather confusing with all the Asgardian terms. Oh, and Natalie Portman? Not her finest hours...
    VERDICT: This film brings Thor and his friends onto a whole new level of battle and war, but somehow dissapoints over the first film thanks to a fairly bland plot and a whole bunch of meaningless action. It's not terrible, but by no means Marvel's best
  18. Nov 25, 2015
    Okay, so I enjoyed the first Thor film. I thought the way they executed Thor's fish-out-of-water story was very well done, and Tom Hiddleston's Loki was excellent as a villain. but this forced sequel had some enjoyable moments (mainly from Loki, again), but also a slightly underdeveloped villain and a strange, confusing premise.
  19. Nov 2, 2015
    While Thor: The Dark World isn't as good as its predecessor, the sequel does a pretty good job by improving the action scenes, having good villains, and very good cinematography.
  20. Oct 9, 2015
    Not quite as good as the first but still enjoyable. Malekith seems to get a lot of hate as a villain but I thought he was pretty cool. There IS a bit too much CGI but it's a superhero movie so what else can you expect? Plus, the movie sees the return of Loki, Marvel's equivalent to the Joker and he's more badass than ever before. There are quite a few laughs to be had as well as thrillsNot quite as good as the first but still enjoyable. Malekith seems to get a lot of hate as a villain but I thought he was pretty cool. There IS a bit too much CGI but it's a superhero movie so what else can you expect? Plus, the movie sees the return of Loki, Marvel's equivalent to the Joker and he's more badass than ever before. There are quite a few laughs to be had as well as thrills plus, a teaser for the best MCU movie ever-Guardians of the Galaxy! I definitely preferred the first but I liked this one anyway. It's fun! Expand
  21. Aug 15, 2015
    Tried to be both funny and exciting. Wound up neither. Why the hell did they expand Darcy's role? She was the worst part of the first movie. Overall, just a really sloppy story packed full of ridiculous plot contrivances to move it along.
  22. Aug 14, 2015
    Just like its boring predecessor, "Thor: The Dark World" is filled with heavy-handed sub-par action, dialogue, and performances. Probably the weakest series in the Marvel universe by far.
  23. Aug 1, 2015
    Prior to watching this: I thought the first film was beautiful but lacking in action.

Premise: The 9 realms of Thor's mythological world are converging and a purple power source (one of the infinity gems) was released and this triggered the awakening of a race of aliens (the villains) that goes all out to find it. Pros: 1). This had slightly more action scenes than the first film.

Pros:
    1). This had slightly more action scenes than the first film.
    2). The acting is good, as in the first film.

Cons:
    1). The plot with the purple power source and how Loki escape (again!) were weak. Just kill him already so we won't have him causing any more mischief and having any more aliens invading Earth!
    2). The plot with the 9 realms converging and what happens as a result is weakly executed.

Score: 4/5 (no half score). Good enough to pay to watch it in the cinema.

Who would be satisfied with this film? Most children, most teens and most adults. The elder you are, the less you would like it.
  24. Jul 8, 2015
    'Thor: The Dark World' is a bigger sequel, but bigger doesn't necessarily mean better, nor is this a bad movie in any way.

I think it's fair to say that of all the films Marvel Studios has made so far, 'Thor: The Dark World' is definitely one of the weaker ones, but that doesn't mean it's a bad comic book film like 'Catwoman' (2004). Chris Hemsworth returns as the mighty God Thor and

Chris Hemsworth returns as the mighty God Thor and Anthony Hopkins and Tom Hiddleston return as Odin and Loki respectively. Natalie Portman, Kat Dennings and Stellan Skarsgard also return as Jane, Darcy and Eric.

The film's main villain is Malekith (Christopher Eccleston), who is a fine villain and is portrayed really well, but is ultimately forgettable.

Loki is the reason everyone should watch, his charisma and comic timing is perfect in every way.

The film's action scenes are as spectacular as ever, one can expect from a Marvel movie, but the story is very cluttered and there are too many confusing moments of who the villain is and what they plan to do, the movie jumps around from time to time as well as different fights take place in different locations.

I don't think many people, including fans of the comics, will be satisfied with what director Alan Taylor has crafted, but you will love the production design and overall "Game of Thrones" style that this film contains.
  25. Jun 12, 2015
    Well I can say this. If you liked the first one, you'll like this one. The only problem I had with this film was the comic relief . Otherwise it was fun and great in IMAX.
  26. Jun 10, 2015
    Thor: The Dark World acts as a mostly enjoyable movie going experience. One particular sequence reminded me of a mix between the Hobbit and Star Wars, a mix that provided a great experience for myself in particular. Despite such sequences, the movie struggled at times to keep me fully immersed. Several characters felt like they didn't belong in the film, particularly those who engaged inThor: The Dark World acts as a mostly enjoyable movie going experience. One particular sequence reminded me of a mix between the Hobbit and Star Wars, a mix that provided a great experience for myself in particular. Despite such sequences, the movie struggled at times to keep me fully immersed. Several characters felt like they didn't belong in the film, particularly those who engaged in poor humour dialogue. Although the film tends to drag on and ends with a somewhat disengaging finale, the second instalment of the Thor franchise is a good film overall. Expand
  27. May 23, 2015
    Thor: The Dark World proves to be somewhat entertaining. It plays out pretty much how you would expect it and it's just not all that great. There's nothing inherently wrong with this movie, it just only proves to be somewhat entertaining. Basically, if you liked the first Thor, you would enjoy this movie, and to everyone else, it's not an essential Marvel movie but it's worth your twoThor: The Dark World proves to be somewhat entertaining. It plays out pretty much how you would expect it and it's just not all that great. There's nothing inherently wrong with this movie, it just only proves to be somewhat entertaining. Basically, if you liked the first Thor, you would enjoy this movie, and to everyone else, it's not an essential Marvel movie but it's worth your two hours if you're bored. Expand
  28. May 19, 2015
    this movie is awesome, all the thing in this movie are badass, I want more of thor and loki
    I give the movie an 9.5 out of 10................. the marvel cinematic universe is awesome
  29. May 16, 2015
    Better than the first, several funny scenes and good fights, a good story, but still not having something very special, but the film is engaging fun, and has mysterious end, a good movie.
  30. May 2, 2015
    darker and more brutal, maybe, but still have a similar opinion to the first movie. this movie is still fun though and i do encourage others to see this film
  31. Jan 17, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The first half of the film was very boring and did NOTHING to engage the audience. The film only really picked up just before Loki was broken out of his cell by Thor. Characters (apart from Loki) were bland and extremely boring, Malekith was terrible, the Aether just seemed like another Tesseract, his army were a little too similar to the Chitari for my liking and may as well have just been Storm Troopers and the whole "turning the entire universe into darkness" plot line seemed too cliché.

Special effects were special. What was with the weird colour scheme used and the blurry backgrounds? It looked like something out of 300. Asgard still looked nice.

I enjoyed seeing Loki and Thor team-up but Thor's action sequences on his own weren't that good. The final battle was a little too reminiscent of the IM3 final battle for my liking; Thor jumping into different worlds/Tony jumping into different Iron Man suits.

So, this film is only really good enough because of Loki. If it wasn't for the character and his excellent portrayal by Tom Hiddleston, this film would most likely get a 3/10. If you want to know what happens in the film because you want to catch up with the Marvel Cinematic Universe, just read the plot online and maybe watch a montage of the best Loki moments in the film.
  32. Jan 16, 2015
    Thor: The Dark World è senza ombra di dubbio uno dei migliori film di supereroi di sempre.Molto coinvolgente e più completa del primo ed epico capitolo.Un capolavoro assoluto.
  33. Dec 22, 2014
    Thor:The Dark World is Good movie with a lot of potentials to be a great movie.The Cast are great Chris Hemsworth is Great Being Thor,Tom Hiddleston is also great being Loki but the villain though is so forgettable and not so evil at all and a very Weak motivation.Thor the Dark World deserves a 7/10,Great actors,great soundtrack,and good humour made my score a little bit high but it'll beThor:The Dark World is Good movie with a lot of potentials to be a great movie.The Cast are great Chris Hemsworth is Great Being Thor,Tom Hiddleston is also great being Loki but the villain though is so forgettable and not so evil at all and a very Weak motivation.Thor the Dark World deserves a 7/10,Great actors,great soundtrack,and good humour made my score a little bit high but it'll be higher if they have Good villain and a better plot and did i say the cast are great??well not all of them some them needs to be develop well and portray the role well. Expand
  34. Dec 21, 2014
    This movie features a lot of action and epic special effects. It is a good movie to watch.The ending is weird and hard to understand. Overall, this is a great film.
  35. Dec 13, 2014
    The story is shallow and limited whilst the antagonist is also unconvincing. But the biggest frustration is how this film feels like an entirely different story to it's predecessor, to the point where they seem like two different episodes in a TV show. This can make it feel insignificant which is a disappointment. However we do get to further explore Thor's relationships, brotherly andThe story is shallow and limited whilst the antagonist is also unconvincing. But the biggest frustration is how this film feels like an entirely different story to it's predecessor, to the point where they seem like two different episodes in a TV show. This can make it feel insignificant which is a disappointment. However we do get to further explore Thor's relationships, brotherly and otherwise. We also spent more time on Asgard which is a delight. The action scenes feel polished and the emotion that has a place throughout the entire film seems genuine. But the lack of links between the two Thor films are sadly quite heavy and withhold it from challenging Marvel films like Avengers Assemble and Captain America. Expand
  36. Dec 6, 2014
    Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) Analysis: Thor: The Dark World (2013)

Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) Analysis: Thor: The Dark World (2013)

So… Thor. It’s time for my review of this super-hero’s sequel. Frankly, it’s the weakest MCU movie up to now. It’s still enjoyable but there’s so much potential wasted in here, one of them being the villain, oh… we’ll get to that LATER. It’s not just the antagonist though, the plot is sometimes a muddle and the movie itself suffers from too much exposition. It still brings comedy and action, however it’s really disappointing. But with all honesty, the filmmakers did try. They did try

Odin recalls when his father Bor and the warriors from Asgard vanquished the evil Dark Elves and their leader Malekith that wanted to send the universe into the darkness during the convergence of nine realms unleashing the powerful weapon Aether. Malekith escapes and Bor hides the Aether in-between two stone columns. In the present days, on Earth, the scientist Jane Foster that is waiting for the return of Thor, investigates a gravity phenomenon in an abandoned factory with her assistant and her intern. She finds the column where the Aether is hidden and the substance possesses her. In Asgard, Heimdall reports to Thor that Jane has disappeared. Thor returns to Earth and finds Jane; but when he sees that he has a strange energy protecting her, he brings Jane to Asgard to be healed. However, Malekith also awakes and goes to Asgard to retrieve the Aether. After a bloody battle, Frigga is murdered by Malekith and Thor proposes treason to his warriors friends of Asgard and teams up with Loki to seek revenge for the murder of their mother and to vanquish Malekith before he destroys Asgard with his Dark Elves.

Let’s start with the good elements: The action is great. Marvel does well with the action in their films, especially in “The Avengers” and this movie is not an exception. There are no shaky cams to be found here and the fights are well choreographed. Thor throwing the hammer is as exciting as seeing Captain America throwing his shield, it never gets old. One satisfying element that also returned is the comedy. Sense of humor works just like it did in the first movie, while it sometimes gets a little bit too cheesy, it surely provides some laughs from moviegoers. “Guardians of the Galaxy” still remains the funniest MCU movie to now, but we’ll get to that when I do my review of it. The story is solid… I think. I mean, it’s not phenomenal, but the narrative grabbed my attention right from the beginning, but like I said before, what it matters is not being entertained when watching a motion picture, but being satisfied AFTER watching it, so this is really not saying much.

The villain is so bad. I swear to God that he’s the main reason as to why I almost lower my score to a 5. It’s so f*cking bad. When you get out of the theaters or you finish seeing the movie, you’ll realize how uselessly wasted was Malekith. For what I gleaned from the comics is that he’s very powerful, he’s very well-written and he is interesting at the least. Malekith is not intriguing in this movie! So when a main villain doesn’t succeed, it almost ruins the movie for me. I don’t care if they decide to do a different take on the character, being completely different from the comics, no, I don’t care. It just has to be good. I don’t care who thought about the character, who wrote her or who even designed her. I don’t care, it just HAS to be good. Is the villain good? Absolutely not. Is he badass? No, he’s not. Is the character well-written? No, not at all. It’s just a **** villain that I don’t want to see him again, neither in other upcoming installments, unless if they make the character look interesting, not a disappointingly forgettable villain. Let’s see, what’s the best villain in Marvel Cinematic Universe? Um… let us see… oh yeah! Loki. Loki is the best villain in this whole freaking universe. There are good villains like Iron Monger, Killian, Winter Soldier (he’s not really a villain, more like an antagonist), why is Malekith so bad? *Sighs*

The cast returns: Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman, Tom Hiddleston, Anthony Hopkins and Stellan Skarsgård, all of them return to reprise their roles, and they’re all just great. Unlike the amazing letdown that Malekith was, the actors’ performances are really nice and they all seem to put an effort in the film to make it good. Loki is in the movie, and once again, you don’t know what’s on his mind. I’m so confused, what his purposes? What does he want? Whatever.

Final Score to Thor: The Dark World: 6/10. A passable super-hero sequel that, despite having some pretty nice battle sequences and a solid cast, it’s weighed down by a completely forgettable villain and an occasionally muddled plot. Thank God that the next MCU movie I’m going to review will be fantastic. Next review: Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014).

May Thor rest easily.
  37. Dec 2, 2014
    They are some good stuff and bad stuff about this movie. The good stuff is the SFX and sound mixing is very good and the acting. The bad stuff is this movie is confusing. Either watch it or Don,t. Replay Value: Moderate .
  38. Nov 23, 2014
    Thor: The Dark World is as strong as any other recent Marvel film. Thor may possibly be my favorite character from the Avengers and it continues to keep a strong individual story. Loki was great in this film. He may be the best villain in the Marvel franchise right now. I think that the next Thor movie will only improve from the last two.
  39. Nov 22, 2014
    Thor 2 is really better than the first thor, and marvel has finally teloaded my memory to what happened in iron man 3, thor was the greatest superhero film of 2013 wich doesnt mean something.
  40. Nov 13, 2014
    "Thor: The Dark World" 10 Scale Rating: 7.0 (Good) ...

"Thor: The Dark World" 10 Scale Rating: 7.0 (Good) ...

The Good: The banter between Thor and Loki was great and Eccleston was an amazing villain. Idris Elba as Heimdall was once again a character that you wanted to see more of. The story itself was merely decent, but the first half of the film was amazing. As expected, excellent action sequences and effects. At times, the humor was well placed and cut the drama a little. Tom Hiddleston once again played Loki to perfection.

The Bad: No matter how hard they try, I just can't bring myself to care about Jane Foster (Natalie Portman). The way they crammed her into the story was ham-fisted and an unbelievable coincidence. I could have done without Kat Dennings completely and Stellan Skarsgard, while interesting in the first film as well as The Avengers, was forced into the film and actually felt out of place. The second half wasn't nearly as interesting as the first. While it was still an enjoyable film, the story wasn't the most creative and I would have liked to see more of some of the secondary characters.
  41. Nov 13, 2014
    This movie has far too many clichés, and unfortunately, ordered in the right way to form one of the most cliché plots. Sitting in the theater the first time, I constantly thought of how I somehow saw this movie before, but I couldn't remember what movie that was because it was so forgettable. As if cliché's weren't enough, there are some imitations of: The Lord of the Rings, Portal,This movie has far too many clichés, and unfortunately, ordered in the right way to form one of the most cliché plots. Sitting in the theater the first time, I constantly thought of how I somehow saw this movie before, but I couldn't remember what movie that was because it was so forgettable. As if cliché's weren't enough, there are some imitations of: The Lord of the Rings, Portal, Skyrim, The Legend of Zelda, previous Marvel movies, and any movie that features a stock villain. Expand
  42. Nov 7, 2014
    Derivative as it is, a charismatic cast, witty dialogue and Loki saves Thor: The Dark World from being just a gala of special effects destroying the universe.
  43. Oct 19, 2014
    Thor spans the Marvel Universe from present day Earth to the realm of Asgard. At the center of the story is the mighty Thor, a powerful but arrogant warrior whose reckless actions reignite an ancient war. Thor is cast down to Earth by his father Odin and is forced to live among humans. A beautiful, young scientist, Jane Foster, has a profound effect on Thor, as she ultimately becomes hisThor spans the Marvel Universe from present day Earth to the realm of Asgard. At the center of the story is the mighty Thor, a powerful but arrogant warrior whose reckless actions reignite an ancient war. Thor is cast down to Earth by his father Odin and is forced to live among humans. A beautiful, young scientist, Jane Foster, has a profound effect on Thor, as she ultimately becomes his first love. It's while here on Earth that Thor learns what it takes to be a true hero when the most dangerous villain of his world sends the darkest forces of Asgard to invade Earth. Expand
  44. Aug 16, 2014
    This movie improves upon everything from the first movie. More and better action, better writing, and better characters. Thor is a much better hero mostly because he has his powers throughout the movie, but Loki absolutely steals the show
  45. Aug 8, 2014
    Better than the first movie, but my problem with this movie and most other MCU is the generic and completely forgettable villain. The merits were the action sequences were done well, we truly see the developed Thor from the first film handle his role and Tom Middleston performance was as always done well, but it doesn't have a lot to offer. Also they seriously need to stop wasting time onBetter than the first movie, but my problem with this movie and most other MCU is the generic and completely forgettable villain. The merits were the action sequences were done well, we truly see the developed Thor from the first film handle his role and Tom Middleston performance was as always done well, but it doesn't have a lot to offer. Also they seriously need to stop wasting time on Kat Dennings character Expand
  46. Aug 5, 2014
    To me Thor 2 was not as good as Thor. It was still a good movie though.

my ratting 7.5/10 7.8/10 for action/special effects 7/10 for story 7.5/10 for acting and 7/10 for character/character development
  47. Aug 1, 2014
    There's a lot you could add, and a lot you could take out to make this on the quality scale of 'The Avengers'. The climactic scene has the most jokes that are shoved into it while the plot is stretched farther than it should have been. I still enjoy the acting, particularly Tom Hiddleston, who I believe is just a riot all the way through, whenever he is on screen. But the acting is justThere's a lot you could add, and a lot you could take out to make this on the quality scale of 'The Avengers'. The climactic scene has the most jokes that are shoved into it while the plot is stretched farther than it should have been. I still enjoy the acting, particularly Tom Hiddleston, who I believe is just a riot all the way through, whenever he is on screen. But the acting is just one essence. It's not groundbreaking or spectacular. It's merely enjoyable. The story is not so much, I'm afraid. Expand
  48. Jul 28, 2014
    Tek kelimeyle çok iyi film, hazır bu kadar iyi THOR ve LOKI yakalamışken çekebildikleri kadar çekmeleri lazım bu filmleri. Kastın kalanı da çok iyi seçildiği için her film diğerinden bir kademe daha iyi olacaktır muhtemelen.
  49. Jul 8, 2014
    סרט טוב, אך הוא קצת בעייתי בפעם השנייה שרואים אותו הוא הרבה פחות טוב. אם יש דבר אחד שהוא טוב בסרט שת'ור מופיע בו זה חייב להיות לוקי שאותו שיחק טום הידלסטון בצורה מושלמת כמו תמיד
  50. Jul 2, 2014
    Thor: The Dark World is a decent sequel to an amazing original. It's a bit too dark and tragedy ridden for it's own good, but the craft of the sci-fi world on offer here cannot be denied. Lasers, elves, giant space-ships and Loki... That's a recipe for a good time in my book!
  51. Jun 15, 2014
    I thought it was a good watch, but it`s flawed like old superman movies.They make it to much about the girl he likes.It`s just annoying how some way everything revolves around her. It`s not like shes Wonder women, or Cat women, shes just a regular human who has to be in the middle of it all.Also they killed certain characters that looked much more interesting in the previous Thor. It was aI thought it was a good watch, but it`s flawed like old superman movies.They make it to much about the girl he likes.It`s just annoying how some way everything revolves around her. It`s not like shes Wonder women, or Cat women, shes just a regular human who has to be in the middle of it all.Also they killed certain characters that looked much more interesting in the previous Thor. It was a good movie, but nothing that really stood out. Expand
  52. Jun 8, 2014
    It's no secret that I've always hated superhero movies. I find them to be cliche, over the top, and so far from reality, that often time the stories are just the lowest form of Science Fiction. The only movies of the superhero genre that I've ever truly enjoyed are the recent Batman trilogy and some of the recent Marvel films. That being said, I hated the first Thor film, because it cameIt's no secret that I've always hated superhero movies. I find them to be cliche, over the top, and so far from reality, that often time the stories are just the lowest form of Science Fiction. The only movies of the superhero genre that I've ever truly enjoyed are the recent Batman trilogy and some of the recent Marvel films. That being said, I hated the first Thor film, because it came directly from a comic book and lacked any kind of background story whatsoever. Thanks in part to the Avengers and the development of the Loki character, that all changes with the second film. The story isn't directly from a comic book, but rather based on one. In this film, the characters are more established and there is a lengthy background story that only enhances the film, and the series. In the second film, Thor is tasked with stopping a deadly weapon, possessed by an all but extinct species. This weapon has the power to destroy the entire universe and as always, the focal point is on Earth. Unable to stop the weapon and save his girlfriend at the same time, Thor turns to an unlikely source for help, his now imprisoned brother, Loki. Given the magnitude of the story and the power of the enemy, I'm a bit surprised that they didn't keep this film to be used as an Avengers sequel, as it has all the makings of an epic sequel. Chris Hemsworth reprises his role as Thor and this time he is beyond terrific. His role in the Avengers really enhanced the popularity of a character that most people were unfamiliar with, and the tremendous start to the film really set the framework for Hemsworth to take Thor to the next level. Even the supporting cast steps it up a notch as Natalie Portman is more used to the idea of a boyfriend from another world and being involved in things she couldn't possibly understand. Finally, Tom Hiddleston tops of the story, with his portrayal of Loki. I may be going out on a limb here, but I thought Hiddleston was even better in The Dark World than he was in The Avengers. Going into the Avengers, next to The Hulk, Thor was the weakest of the introduction films, and the least known and appreciated character. That all changed with the Avengers and in his second film, the Thor character steps up to a level that rivals even Iron Man. If you're not that into the series and have only selectively seen a few of the films, make sure you include the Dark World, as it is essential to fully understanding Thor and his impact in the future of the series. Expand
  53. May 29, 2014
    great visual as the thor dark world continues the marvel cinematic universe story with great performances and much more action than thor 1 alan Talylor knows how to blend in the comedy with the the troubles of an marvel god as well as more action sequences .
  54. May 25, 2014
    Thor: The Dark World is a good film and much better then Thor(2011) but in the end it seems to fit into marvel phase 2 and with this is mean the un-needed comedy. Sure some of it fit but most was not needed and seemed forced. Still though i had a great time watching it and even had a better time then i did while watching Iron Man 3. The cast was great but you can't go wrong with NatalieThor: The Dark World is a good film and much better then Thor(2011) but in the end it seems to fit into marvel phase 2 and with this is mean the un-needed comedy. Sure some of it fit but most was not needed and seemed forced. Still though i had a great time watching it and even had a better time then i did while watching Iron Man 3. The cast was great but you can't go wrong with Natalie Portman, Chris Hemsworth, Anothy Hopkins, Tom Hiddleston and plenty more.

A great Battle between Bor the father of Odin and The Dark Elf Malekith happend long ago. Malekith wanted to cover the world back in darkness using the power of the Aether so the dark elves can rule. Bor stopped Malekith by stealing the Aether forcing Malekith to kill his people to get away and to fight again later. So now were are in present day where Jane Foster(Natalie Portman) is looking for Thor when she ends up going through a portal to where the Aether is being hidden she touches it and ends up activing it.

Malekith awaken by the Aether being actived starts his search for it before The Convergence a alignment of the Nine Realms causeing portals to open between them with this he plans to cover the universe in darkness. Malekith and his remaining troops lead a secret attack on Asgard and ends up killing Frigga, Thors mother. Odin demands that no one leave Asgard so Thor teams up with Loki knowing he can't trust him but becuase he is the only person that knows the secret way out of Asgard.

Thor and Loki head to Svartalfheim the Dark Elves home world to fight malekith with the help of Jane. However Thor And Loki's plan fails and Malekith ends up getting the Aether out of Jane a making him grow stronger and Loki ends up dying Thor and Jane finding a Portal in a cave near by where they end up back in London. With the help of Erik Selvig (Stellan Skarsgård) and Darcy (Kat Dennings) they find a way to make their own potal. Thor and Malekith end up having a somewhat good battle. Just when everying looks dark Darcy and Erik acitvate the equitment making a portal causeing malekith to be teleported back to Svartalfheim where he is crushed by his ship.

Overall i give it a 7.5 while the movie is enjoyable i just feel the villain could have been better and makes wonder what Mads Mikkelsen's Malekith would have been like. Ill buy this on blu ray of course the CGI was great.
  55. May 20, 2014
    The action scenes are as impressive as one would expect from a Marvel film, but forgettable characters and subpar dialogue make this sequel, as a whole, feel underwhelming and generically pieced together compared to previous Marvel installments. The redeeming quality that makes this film work the most is the charming tandem of Hemsworth and Hiddleston.
  56. May 1, 2014
    This is my least favorite marvel film after Iron Man 3. The great villain is unfortunately completely wasted on this very dry, stereotypical, by the numbers film. There is too much humor, and even the action looks boring and uninspired. The final sequence is one of the worst of any action film I've seen. It feels like nothing of this matters, including the characters.
  57. Apr 26, 2014
    Great CGI + Dumb Story + Goofy Acting = 5 stars out of 10. You could turn off the sound and still get what's going on. Just OK if you like this type of movie.
  58. Apr 22, 2014
    Having seeing the mixed reviews for Thor 2 my expectations weren’t that high when heading to the cinema but, while it doesn’t exactly do anything wildly different to any of the previous films in the Marvel franchise, it is certainly entertaining. Packed with a fair amount of humour and spectacular action sequences (the final battle in particular is superb) this is another fine addition toHaving seeing the mixed reviews for Thor 2 my expectations weren’t that high when heading to the cinema but, while it doesn’t exactly do anything wildly different to any of the previous films in the Marvel franchise, it is certainly entertaining. Packed with a fair amount of humour and spectacular action sequences (the final battle in particular is superb) this is another fine addition to the comic book universe. Expand
  59. Apr 21, 2014
    A pretty good Marvel movie. Not one of the best but I did enjoy this film more than the first one. The action was cool and there was a lot of it s that was awesome. And Loki is who made the movie this good. Tom Hiddelston played him perfectly and he was amazing in the movie and made it what it was. There was that right amount of Marvel humour thrown in the movie to make this an entertaining watch.
  60. Apr 20, 2014
    Once again, excellent work my the Marvel Cinematic Universe. True, it isn't perfect; Thor's love interest isn't given much to do, and the villain is a walking chiche. But the wit and energized mayhem that makes Marvel so entertaining is still there.
  61. Apr 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Thor 2 is the best Marvel movie ever.The battle scenes and sceneries are terriffic.Alan Taylor has made a Norse myhthology-super hero film which is so good that i want to see it more and more.The costumes are good as well.Thor's Mjollnir has improved from the one in Thor 1.It makes Thor looks more powerful with thenew hammer.Thor and Odin's father-and-son relationship is reversed from the previous movie,which made the film more thrilling.Of course,those above are just my own opinions,you can be fond of the movie or not,i cannot force you anyway. Expand
  62. Mar 29, 2014
    Thor: The Dark World was a great film. I loved it's action, I loved it's humor, I especially liked the idea that it kind of took a dark route that we really didn't see that much before in previous films in Marvel's Cinematic Universe. I wouldn't say I like this movie more or less than the first Thor, they both have good elements used in it and I would recommend both. However keep in mindThor: The Dark World was a great film. I loved it's action, I loved it's humor, I especially liked the idea that it kind of took a dark route that we really didn't see that much before in previous films in Marvel's Cinematic Universe. I wouldn't say I like this movie more or less than the first Thor, they both have good elements used in it and I would recommend both. However keep in mind that this film doesn't do anything you haven't seen before, it has a lot of themes in it that I would probably say seems kind of familiar; but the film uses those themes very well. Expand
  63. Mar 14, 2014
    I didn't think this movie was gonna be very good. I was pleasantly surprised. It as much, much better than the first. Better action, better story, more humor. Stay tuned after the credits, there are not one but two mid credit scenes.
  64. Mar 10, 2014
    Kat Dennings - aka Darcy - I so much hate her in the movie. She is so **** annoying. From start I hoped she die, but unfortunately not. Why???? Same stupid jokes all the time. Please, dont do this ever again Hollywood.
  65. Mar 10, 2014
    While I would like to say that this movie was better than the first one, on the whole it's about the same. Story is interesting and there is allot of Thor comic lore to keep fans engaged, but the writing and script are dead weak. Aside from Thor, there is very, very, very, little character development. Granted this is OK for the main characters as they were firmly established in theWhile I would like to say that this movie was better than the first one, on the whole it's about the same. Story is interesting and there is allot of Thor comic lore to keep fans engaged, but the writing and script are dead weak. Aside from Thor, there is very, very, very, little character development. Granted this is OK for the main characters as they were firmly established in the previous films, but with the focus now being on Asgard, there is allot of new elements to the universe that are barely touched upon.

Loki feels tacked on and seems utterly needless. With a dead obvious plot twist that anyone with half a brain would see coming a mile away. Clearly he is there as a fan service and to draw in the ladies (no idea what they see in him, but if that's what they like.)

The villain is so generic and really gets little due. Clearly he is there as a plot device and more or less feels like something for Thor to do, than an actual threat. At least Loki had charm and was fun to watch in his scenes.

The visual effects are utterly gorgeous and the production team do a fantastic job bring Asgard to life. A shame they couldn't have done the same with the script.

Overall:
    If I didn't know any better, I would have thought this was a "made-for-TV" movie. Everything looks good, and it follows a typical comic book formula, but considering this is a Marvel movie, I had expected allot better.

An entertaining, if somewhat average movie that delivers on the visuals but crashes with a flimsy script and lackluster plot.
  66. Mar 8, 2014
    Another superb super-hero movie from Marvel. With plenty of action, humor, and likable characters this movie proves to be just as much of a good time as the first. With it's combination of sci-fi themes like spaceships and aliens with things like knights and sword battles, the movie comes across as some sort of combination between "Lord of the Rings" and "Star Wars" all wrapped up inAnother superb super-hero movie from Marvel. With plenty of action, humor, and likable characters this movie proves to be just as much of a good time as the first. With it's combination of sci-fi themes like spaceships and aliens with things like knights and sword battles, the movie comes across as some sort of combination between "Lord of the Rings" and "Star Wars" all wrapped up in super-hero movie.

The action scenes are over-the-top and well done. The plot manages to have a more serious tone than it's predecessor, but thankfully never comes off as melodramatic or whinny like some other Marvel movies have *cough* Iron Man 2 *cough*. Overall this is a very fun and very excellent movie. One that will most assuredly please fans of Thor and of Marvel movies.
  67. Mar 8, 2014
    Some liked the first film more. Some liked this one more. Me? This one. I've always liked Loki, but here, I've liked him more than ever. He's just so fun to watch. The rest of the cast were great too, and the movie itself was also great.
  68. Mar 1, 2014
    I liked the first Thor but this one was a total failure.

The plot to this movie is as thin as an 80 Yr Old Pair of Underwear that has been worn by a homeless dude for the past quarter century. I mean thin. The beginning was difficult to understand. I even attempted to use closed captioning to get the drift of the beginning. The only redeeming features of the movie were Loki and
    I liked the first Thor but this one was a total failure.

The only redeeming features of the movie were Loki and the two subcharacters who worked for Jane Foster.

It sounded like Chris Hemsworth just graduated from Woolloomooloo Grammar given his thick Aussie accent (which was not as pronounced in the first movie).
  69. Feb 22, 2014
    I'm not a big fan of superheroes movies but i enjoyed this one. It has a good rhythm and great visuals. Of course it has more or less the same development of all superheroes movies but it was fun to watch. Probably the main problem is that the main characters are played by actors that are dull.And yes i mean Portman and Hemsworth.
  70. Feb 20, 2014
    Well this was a surprise. I actually enjoyed a movie. They made a huge step forward compared to the first Thor. It has lot more action and and very SF oriented.
  71. Feb 15, 2014
    I begin by saying in a simple line, this sequel was just okay for me. I did not find any awesomeness in it or any mind blowing scenes. The first movie was quite interested me because of a new actor, new superhero character and the birth of the new franchise from Marvel studio. All together with a mythical Greek character in a modern world, it was something that hit me. Just a few monthsI begin by saying in a simple line, this sequel was just okay for me. I did not find any awesomeness in it or any mind blowing scenes. The first movie was quite interested me because of a new actor, new superhero character and the birth of the new franchise from Marvel studio. All together with a mythical Greek character in a modern world, it was something that hit me. Just a few months back, I praised Hemsworth for his best ever performance in the biographical picture 'Rush'. Here he has fallen back to okay kinda performance. The movie was nothing special, but a decent entertainment. Technically, it was rich in visuals with good graphics, no one must dare to doubt it. My problem was the story which followed the usual fantasy movie protocol. One of the disappointment from 2013, completely a commercial purpose behind its creation and production. Yeah, all the movie are but this one is very much visible. So in my opinion, it is one time watch movie.

6.5/10
  72. Feb 8, 2014
    A big improvement over its predecessor. Great action sequences, an appreciated sense of humor, consistent pacing, and an interesting plot that ends on an exciting note. The performances were mostly competent, with Tom Hiddleston being the top of them all.

Another fine addition to the Marvel franchise.
  73. Feb 4, 2014
    totally unexpected really enjoyed it. Funny at times and lots of action, drags slightly near the end but certainly not enough to spoil it. Overall I was pleasantly surprised. Roll on Thor 3
  74. Jan 25, 2014
    The plot is tied after the events of the Avengers , the protagonist Thor returns along with Loki to his father Odin ( Anthony Hopkins ) in Asgard.Odin Loki sent to prison.

After that, Thor returns to Earth to his love Jane Foster . But their relationship does not represent dilemma . Soon Jane stumbles upon Ether which need dark elves led the Accursed ( Thor Loki releases to deal with

Thor Loki releases to deal with the dark elves . Despite the excellent special effects sometimes funny jokes in the film are constantly trying to make a joke . For example the scene is tense and a minute later another joke . Nature of the characters spelled bad. Loki is the best and the expected character . Christopher good actor , but he came out of the villain quite weak.
  75. Jan 20, 2014
    I really really enjoyed this movie. Where the first Thor film was merely a funny action film, this movie takes on a more serious tone and the actors really deliver. Tom Hiddleston reprises his role as Loki and easily hits it out of the park, stealing a lot of Hemsworth's thunder. The only thing stopping this movie from being great is that it takes a long time to get going and fails toI really really enjoyed this movie. Where the first Thor film was merely a funny action film, this movie takes on a more serious tone and the actors really deliver. Tom Hiddleston reprises his role as Loki and easily hits it out of the park, stealing a lot of Hemsworth's thunder. The only thing stopping this movie from being great is that it takes a long time to get going and fails to capitalize at the end. Expand
  76. Jan 7, 2014
    If you walk into this movie for a great plot, your going for the wrong reason. If your going to this movie for fun action and great humor, your going for the right reason. This movie is everything that I wanted in Thor 1 and more. This movie is full of great action. The final fight between Malekeith and Thor is very creative and fun to watch. This movie is also hilarious! Even with a veryIf you walk into this movie for a great plot, your going for the wrong reason. If your going to this movie for fun action and great humor, your going for the right reason. This movie is everything that I wanted in Thor 1 and more. This movie is full of great action. The final fight between Malekeith and Thor is very creative and fun to watch. This movie is also hilarious! Even with a very funny Captain America cameo. Loki is probably the best character in the entire movie. I loved Loki in Thor 1 and especially in The Avengers. One thing that I don't like about the movie is the plot twist at the end, it felt kinda rushed. But overall this is an awesome movie that I would recommend to people who want to have a lot of fun in the theater. Expand
  77. Jan 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film fits into the MCU very nicely. If you weren't a fan of the Avengers collective already then this probably isn't the film that's going to win you over but if like me you're already well invested in the series then Thor 2 is a nice addition. It progresses Thor's story pretty well, raises some questions about the next Avengers film, the characters are well developed and the action sequences are awesome to watch.
    Some of the dialogue can be a bit cheesey at times but you kind of have to forgive a bit of cheesiness in a film about a comic book hero based on norse mythology. Also Malekith isn't the most impressive villain. *spoilers start here* There isn't a great deal of personality or motivation in his character, pretty much the only background we for him is "da bad guy gon' do bad tings." He has two fight sequences in the whole film. The first one he gets his arse handed to him by Thor's mammy and the second one is his final fight with Thor himself which he inevitably loses. Against the previous bad guy, Loki (who's character development and eventual fate are extremely intriguing in this film), he doesn't really measure up.
    Overall this film is worth seeing and certainly enjoyable if you are a fan of the Avengers films. But if not then it's not going do much for you.
  78. Jan 4, 2014
    Esperava mais de Thor. O filme tem ótimos efeitos visuais e tralha voando para todo lado porém uma experiência de aspecto cansativo a única coisa que salva o filme a cena final.
  79. Jan 3, 2014
    The sequel to the mediocre movie Thor. It's an improvement.
    Most things are pretty much the same the acting is satisfactory, the plot is satisfactory, the dialogue is satisfactory, the characters are satisfactory. But the one change is that the acting scenes have been reduced (by the target audiences demand for explosions)
    to blundering B-movie like smashes and punches which remind me of
    The sequel to the mediocre movie Thor. It's an improvement.
    to blundering B-movie like smashes and punches which remind me of the cheesy 1960's Batman fights and have about as much intelligence as a mouldy cheese sandwich.
    Fortunately the witty, and surprisingly British, humor saves the potentially failed movie. I think I laughed more in Thor The Dark World than I did in Napoleon Dynamite (which I did like), Chris O'Dowd even turns up a few times to provide some comic relief from the brainless antics going on between Thor and Malektih who is played brilliantly but unrecognisably by Christopher Ecclestone.
    While the action scenes were a step down I enjoyed Thor The Dark World more than the first movie and do recommend it due to the clever writing and strong effective humor.
  80. Jan 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The guy with the big hammer is back! He is still mostly the straight man in a story that mixes Shakespearian family drama with mythical mumbo-jumbo. Mind you, Thor (Chris Hemsworth) and his Asgardian kin are not Gods, because that could cause all sorts of controversy among the believers of various ‘legit’ religions. The movie takes the Lord of the Rings approach by throwing you right into an epic battle with explanatory voice-over. It introduces the movies villains economically, making no compromises to people who may need a moment to transition from their daily routine to this fantastical world. You’ll either have to go with it or just go.

In time, you do stop worrying about the plausibility and practical aspects of life in Asgard and the other realms. What becomes more of a problem is some really silly science being used on the earthbound side of the story. The mythical worlds are so far removed from reality that applying credibility seems inappropriate. But hanging a whole lot of gibberish pseudo-science off two fake-looking devices with a dubious-looking remote control and making the grand finale hinge on the vague workings of it, is annoying. Sure, I can understand that these doohickeys simply do what the script needs them to do, but they are such obvious plot devices that the lazy writing is hard to miss. The writers have some fun by playing around with the effect the thingamajigs cause, and even use it for some good comic relief, but it does throw you out of the story. The writers expose themselves too much as puppet masters.

Now, all this makes it sound like I didn’t have a good time watching Thor: The Dark World. But it is fun, in a cheesy, over-the-top kinda way. Most of the cast from the first movie is brought back in, including the great Tom Hiddleston as Loki, though I don’t quite like how the movie handles him. In-between this movie and The Avengers, he does seem to be spending an awful lot of time hanging around in a cell. And being a trickster, a character you can never get a handle on, he risks going from intriguing to boring in the end. Nathalie Portman is back as the love-interest, brought together ‘by fate’ according to Thor, though I’d say it was the script, working really hard to maneuver her into place. I like Portman in the role and it’s always a joy watching her slap people in the face. Her assistant Darcy Lewis (Kat Dennings) works well as the comic relief, though the funniest moment involves a very quick and unexpected cameo from one of Thor’s former comrades-in-arms. Idris Elba also returns, as gate-keeper Heimdall, a lot more well-known by now and still looking hot despite the colored lenses. I look forward to seeing him in the Mandela biopic.

The main problem with Thor: The Dark World is one of tone. Sometimes it takes itself very seriously, sometimes not at all. That can work if the comedy is in the dialogue and the interplay between characters. But as a viewer, you do want to feel that the writers are dedicated to telling a solid, well-thought out story and are not just having a laugh.

@PopCultJunk
  81. Jan 2, 2014
    Though there is a lot of mindless action sequences and poorly written scenes, overall Thor: The Dark World delivers where the first one couldn't. This film feels more at ease and more like the Marvel comic it is based on, the weakness lies in the lack of depth of the myriad of characters and the satirical humour which struggles to be in the same vein as Joss Whedon.
  82. Jan 2, 2014
    Loki stole the show. Tom Hiddleston really knows how to make his fandom proud and how to attract viewers to watch this sequel over and over again. However, like most movies, the first movie has a better storyline and is more exciting to watch. Compared to other superhero movie sequels, this movie is not too shabby.
  83. Dec 28, 2013
    Thor: The Dark World is a touch better than the first installment, but simply doesn't focus enough on what I believe are the two film's greatest strengths (Tom Hiddleston's Loki and the fish out of water humor).
  84. Dec 21, 2013
    The fact that the debate which Marvel superhero is the best since it has insured (for now): Thor. The movie is one of the best I saw in the year (the 8th in the Top 10 of the year). Tom Hiddleston Loki continues to surprise once more and the villain is not even reach the heels. The performances are incredible, the script a bit worn, but does like, the end and the doubts that leaves youThe fact that the debate which Marvel superhero is the best since it has insured (for now): Thor. The movie is one of the best I saw in the year (the 8th in the Top 10 of the year). Tom Hiddleston Loki continues to surprise once more and the villain is not even reach the heels. The performances are incredible, the script a bit worn, but does like, the end and the doubts that leaves you (clearly be resolved in any other Marvel film), the comedic moments will elicit a laugh. The only bad thing: a few minutes that means get bored. The finding: the cameo by Stan Lee and Chris Evans are very well prepared. Expand
  85. Dec 19, 2013
    After disappointing iron man 3 and terrible wolverine i didn't expect much from franchiser but gladly thor proved me wrong.Movie is funny and had a good story and amazing 3D effects.Acting is up to the standard and film really build the momentum to Avengers 2.They present big lie in a scientific way so its almost felt like real. kat dennings look so pretty and so funny.
  86. iam
    Dec 18, 2013
    Terribilmente noioso, film blockbuster con poche idee più complicate che complesse, con un cattivo che non fa paura, con una trama prevedibilissima, senza anima e senza emozioni.
    Personaggi privi di risvolti psicologici. Da dimenticare il prima possibile.
    Si spera che Sir Philip Anthony Hopkins faccia altri film in modo da non chiudere la sua carriera cinematografica con questo film.
    Personaggi privi di risvolti psicologici. Da dimenticare il prima possibile.
    Saccheggio maldestro di alcuni temi del Signore degli Anelli, film di tutt'altro calibro.
  87. Dec 16, 2013
    When I sat back watching this movie I was surprised how quickly the time passed. This movie was entertaining from start to finish. Asgard looks amazing. Many millions of dollars have been spent CGI'ing this film up the wazoo. And the fight scenes are pretty epic. But the whole time I watched this film something about it was bugging me. And it was this. Natalie Portman, who can be anWhen I sat back watching this movie I was surprised how quickly the time passed. This movie was entertaining from start to finish. Asgard looks amazing. Many millions of dollars have been spent CGI'ing this film up the wazoo. And the fight scenes are pretty epic. But the whole time I watched this film something about it was bugging me. And it was this. Natalie Portman, who can be an amazing actor when she isn't phoning it in, could be replaced with a cardboard cutout for 90% of this film and the movie would run through exactly the same. I am unfamiliar with the comic book upon which the movie is based but I highly doubt the female protagonist is supposed to be so one dimensional. Heck her sidekick Kat Dennings had a more interesting and dynamic story arc with the intern. Natalie Portman meantime looks pretty and gets rescued, until the last minute when she springs into action using tools her co-workers figured out and built without her input, to science/magic somehow help Thor in the big boss battle at the end. And even there her help is rivaled by her co-workers. Not exactly lead protagonist material. Expand
  88. Dec 16, 2013
    With an Avenger cameo, Hiddleston and Hemsworth at their primes, Natalie Portman, Action and just the right amount of humor this film is probably third or second on the list of best Marvel movies!
  89. Dec 14, 2013
    Marvel are having a streak of good movies and this is no exception. It has all the elements, action, romance, comedy with a pinch of serious drama. However a few of these key elements are done slightly average, but we'll talk about that later. The story started on a high note for me. As a kid I loved the whole Asgardian lore, knowing that it actually had historical value I was a majorMarvel are having a streak of good movies and this is no exception. It has all the elements, action, romance, comedy with a pinch of serious drama. However a few of these key elements are done slightly average, but we'll talk about that later. The story started on a high note for me. As a kid I loved the whole Asgardian lore, knowing that it actually had historical value I was a major geek I still love it now. Initially, we see Thor's grandfather Bhor, who's fighting the dark elfs, led by Maleikith. Bhor wins by stealing the Aether, a device capable of mass destruction. After losing his ace, Maleikith go's into hiding, and Bhor hides the Aether in a place that NO ONE will find... Of course that lasts less than 30 minutes, resulting in Jane Foster hitting Thor in the face and the dark elfs awaken. And I'm glad they did!!! The action here is great!!! Game of Thrones and Asagardian legend is a match made in heaven! Credit to the director. The comedy is also on par with this standard. Darsey, Eric and Loki are brilliant, with Thor giving an acasional glimpse of humor. However the romance doesn't fare so well. It feels very forced, and there's no chemistry between the two. The villain follows the same route. Maleikith is very generic, stereotypical and we just simply don't see enough of him. Then thank god for Loki. Some of the best scences of the film contain Loki. He's perfectly played by Tom Hiddleston. He's got the charisma, the dark humor and the constant surprises. Thor The Dark World is disappointing in some respects, but is still an overall good film. Expand
  90. Dec 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Let me tell you something about me. I'm a big fan of superhero movies, despite the fact they are all bad and dumb. You cannot make them smart, it is extremely difficult to come up with a good story for these types of movies that the audience may relate to. It's superheroes, it's just not believable, and the people making these movies are bound by Hollywood formulas and bunch of other constraints, and they feel like they are exempt from creating a good story since they have all those special effects. However, I like them because with today's technology they can put pretty much what ever they like on the screen. There is no limit to special effects. So, they are dumb, but they are spectacular and enjoyable. There were a couple of them though that I couldn't abide, that were so insanely stupid and poorly written, you just could not forgive. The latest one like that was the last Batman movie that abomination with Bane. Well, the latest one prior to this movie!!! I think they killed the whole genre for me with this one. I simply never want to see another superhero movie again, ever! This movie is so dry, uninteresting, dumb, boring, I was actually playing solitaire on my phone for good portions of the movie. Now I realize I should have been playing throughout the screening. I feel bad for the cast wrecking their careers with this one. Here's just one piece of spoiler for you: The villain trying to destroy the universe was defeated with the help of Nintendo. They couldn't have done it without it. Thor is dumber than ever. He's just clueless, but still wiser than Odin, who turns dumber than Thor in part one. Not that there's anything interesting going on they might be aware of. Heimdall can't see sh.., the warriors three are quite... Listen, all characters are simply redundant, and the movie would be better off just showing the stars and skyline of London for two hours. You have been warned. Expand
  91. Dec 12, 2013
    This movie was an improvement from the last Thor movie but not by much. Several hours after I saw it I didn't think about it. A good movie stays with you days after you see it if it's real good, not this one. I saw Oblivion with Tom Cruise the following day on Blue Ray and thought about it for days after. It's definitely not as good as the first 2 Iron Man movies and is not one of Marvel'sThis movie was an improvement from the last Thor movie but not by much. Several hours after I saw it I didn't think about it. A good movie stays with you days after you see it if it's real good, not this one. I saw Oblivion with Tom Cruise the following day on Blue Ray and thought about it for days after. It's definitely not as good as the first 2 Iron Man movies and is not one of Marvel's better franchises. It's a rental at best. Expand
  92. Dec 10, 2013
    Yes Thor 2 was entertaining. Was it anything great? Really? No. Just the same movie as the first one again. Was I expecting anymore from this movie? No. So was I surprised? Of course not. Would I recommend this movie to friends? If they want to see top of the line special effects and typical hollywood action? Yes. I give it extra points for Natalie Portmans sake. TypicalYes Thor 2 was entertaining. Was it anything great? Really? No. Just the same movie as the first one again. Was I expecting anymore from this movie? No. So was I surprised? Of course not. Would I recommend this movie to friends? If they want to see top of the line special effects and typical hollywood action? Yes. I give it extra points for Natalie Portmans sake. Typical popcorn munching fare. Expand
  93. Dec 9, 2013
    This is a very good action movie, the title is also good Thor The Dark World, the visual effect is also good as a real
    Actors and actresses in the film played very well
    costumes are also good and interesting
    in the film is not only tense adengan
    There adengan that makes people who watch it to laugh
    I think this is one of the best action films this year
  94. Dec 5, 2013
    Coming from someone who didn't enjoy the first Thor film I think Thor: The Dark World is a huge step up. I wanted more Asgard (delivered). Natalie Portman has become a little unnecessary I don't know why Marvel seems to think all of the super heroes need a love interest just because they're now making movies but I found her kind of annoying. Also, can Loki get his own movie? Tom HiddlestonComing from someone who didn't enjoy the first Thor film I think Thor: The Dark World is a huge step up. I wanted more Asgard (delivered). Natalie Portman has become a little unnecessary I don't know why Marvel seems to think all of the super heroes need a love interest just because they're now making movies but I found her kind of annoying. Also, can Loki get his own movie? Tom Hiddleston is absolutely killing it!!! It's going to be fun to continue to see Thor develop and it's going to be even more fun to see what Loki does to spoil it. Expand
  95. Dec 4, 2013
    Too bad, there are actually no more action Comedy emosión and nothing like all Marvel movies. A disaster of all, this is for those who criticize Man Of Steel.
  96. Dec 2, 2013
    the jokes in it are not funny. The movie starts to get boring from the beginning. I heard the last few scenes are saved by the director of The Avengers, which are the only interesting parts in this movie.
  97. Dec 2, 2013
    This is an improvement over the first Thor movie, better than the battle in desert one-horse town from the first one. Content got a little vague at the end, but I can forgive that considering the enjoyment versus the first installment. Worth seeing.
  98. Dec 2, 2013
    Seen it yesterday very poor movie ,plot and very poor actor I sometimes enjoyed some scenes especially the big battles and thor sequences but that's it you will forget this movie very soon
  99. Dec 2, 2013
    This film is like all the Marvel movies, without emotion, without the stress and child silly comedy. Personally, it's a mediocre crap like Iron Man 3. Lousy.
  100. Nov 29, 2013
    Thor The Dark World is a decent flick. The film has some good action scenes, likeable characters (especially Loki), nice presentation, and some fun scenes. However, the film is bogged down by a slow first half and a couple scenes that might be a little too dark. Thankfully, though there is enough entertainment/good stuff to make the movie enjoyable. I’m glad I saw it but don’t think I’mThor The Dark World is a decent flick. The film has some good action scenes, likeable characters (especially Loki), nice presentation, and some fun scenes. However, the film is bogged down by a slow first half and a couple scenes that might be a little too dark. Thankfully, though there is enough entertainment/good stuff to make the movie enjoyable. I’m glad I saw it but don’t think I’m going to see it again. If you are a fan of these movies you’ll enjoy it just fine if not there is nothing here to change your mind. As it stands this is one of the weaker films of the Marvel Cinematic Universe but not a bad one making it worth a watch for fans of the genre but that’s about it Expand

1. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Nov 8, 2013
    The movie is pretty to look at in a "Transformers" sort of way and moves briskly enough that it never threatens to bore, but it's hard to feel much of anything about the characters and, when it's all over, there's a sense that everything that happens is obligatory.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Nov 8, 2013
    My favorite moment in the movie: Astrophysicist Erik Selvig (Stellan Skarsgard) insisting on wearing only his underwear because he says he thinks better that way. Hey, whatever works.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Nov 8, 2013
    None of that is to say that Thor: The Dark World is a bad movie, necessarily. I would never speak ill of a man with a giant, magical hammer. At the same time, hammer or no hammer, it doesn't quite nail it, either.