Paramount Pictures | Release Date: May 6, 2011
Generally favorable reviews based on 1436 Ratings
1,035
WATCH NOW
EpicLadySpongeFeb 4, 2016
Thor wasn't the best opening to a franchise, but it's still strong and holdable at some cases and then there are those cases that remind you to the case of Thor.
SpangleJul 26, 2013
The special effects of this movie are really cool which really helps this one out a lot. The acting is good, and the plot is interesting as well. Only negative is that it's pretty much your typical superhero movie, it does nothing differentThe special effects of this movie are really cool which really helps this one out a lot. The acting is good, and the plot is interesting as well. Only negative is that it's pretty much your typical superhero movie, it does nothing different despite Thor being a God rather than a superhuman. If that was different, then it undoubtedly would've been more enjoyable, even though as is, it's a pretty good movie. Expand
TVJerryMay 10, 2011
The mythological God of Thunder (Chris Hemsworth) is cast out of his kingdom and becomes a mortal on Earth. This flick has a lot going for it: magnificent art direction, moments of down-to-earth humor, extravagant spectacle and newcomerThe mythological God of Thunder (Chris Hemsworth) is cast out of his kingdom and becomes a mortal on Earth. This flick has a lot going for it: magnificent art direction, moments of down-to-earth humor, extravagant spectacle and newcomer Hemsworth's undeniable charisma (not to mention that body). On the down side: the fight scenes are an indistinct blur and the drama drags down the pacing. Overall, it's uneven, but entertaining. NOTES: I didn't bother with the 3D and didn't miss a thing. Stay thru the credits for another "Avengers" teaser. Expand
TheQuietGamerSep 15, 2011
I had a blast watching this, it not only has some amazing special effects, but extremely enjoyable characters, these are some of Marvels most human characters yet, it can be genuinely funny, somewhat touching, and backs it all up with someI had a blast watching this, it not only has some amazing special effects, but extremely enjoyable characters, these are some of Marvels most human characters yet, it can be genuinely funny, somewhat touching, and backs it all up with some awesome fights, and I just love the references to the other super heroes, like Iron Man (and was that Hawkeye?!), and the way it brings you closer to the future Avengers movie, honestly the most disappointing part was the ending, and it leaves the question of what's next for Thor? but this is still an awesome movie, and a perfect see for fans of Marvel. Expand
Compi24Jun 27, 2016
As far as quasi-coming-of-age-action-adventure-superhero films go, "Thor" is without a doubt among the best. In all seriousness though, Kenneth Branagh had a demigod (tee-hee) of a task on his hands in trying to simultaneously sell theAs far as quasi-coming-of-age-action-adventure-superhero films go, "Thor" is without a doubt among the best. In all seriousness though, Kenneth Branagh had a demigod (tee-hee) of a task on his hands in trying to simultaneously sell the magical realism of the fantastical world at hand, whilst furthering the overall narrative that was "Phase One" of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. And, to be quite frank, he pulled it off. In spades. "Thor" not only accomplishes both of the aforementioned feats, it also introduces us to the charismatic stylings of both Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston, while also teaching us that Branagh himself indeed has a few action-oriented tricks up his directorial sleeves. Overall, "Thor" is great entertainment and I regret missing when it came out. Expand
grandpajoe6191Sep 14, 2011
Pertaining heavily lethargic action, unfunny humor, and a flat story that contains only 2 backgrounds (human world and the world of gods), Marvel rewrites summer blockbuster "Thor"'s preposterous comic odyssey into a f***ed up one.
Tss5078Feb 22, 2013
The great and powerful Thor was one of the biggest grossing movies of 2011. The special effects in this film were really some of the best I've ever seen and the star of the film, Chris Hemsworth was amazing, but besides that, this film wasThe great and powerful Thor was one of the biggest grossing movies of 2011. The special effects in this film were really some of the best I've ever seen and the star of the film, Chris Hemsworth was amazing, but besides that, this film was extremely overrated. Thor is banished to Earth for disobeying his father, the King, and must live as a mortal. Surprisingly, it doesn't take him very long to adjust, and he falls in love with Natalie Portman during a fifteen minute car ride. Okay, so the plot was weak to begin with, but the special effects could have more than made up for that. What I really didn't like about this film was just how fast everything happened. Thor is going to be in the Avengers trilogy and there is a good possibility there may be a sequel to this film, so what was the point in rushing everything? The character of Thor is a majestic one. He is one of the most powerful superheroes that ever existed. This film should have been the epic classic that was talked about for years, but instead they rushed the story and hid behind some great special effects. It was visually impactful, entertaining, and had a great star, but a side from that, this film is nothing more than a common theme with a weak script. Expand
imthenoobJan 24, 2012
Hemsworth, Hopkins, and Hiddleston were great in this film and were perfectly casted for this film. However the rest of the film was terrible. The rest of the cast sucked and didnt sell their parts well, the action was terrible, and theHemsworth, Hopkins, and Hiddleston were great in this film and were perfectly casted for this film. However the rest of the film was terrible. The rest of the cast sucked and didnt sell their parts well, the action was terrible, and the director did a terrible job bringing Thor to life. Really disapointing film. Expand
marcmyworksNov 27, 2013
Thor is fast paced, enjoyable and fun and only suffers when he is brought to Earth. There he is not nearly as interesting as he is on Asgard, but hey, those effects are expensive.
TokyochuchuNov 17, 2013
If you can set aside cynicism and stomach Thor's goofy premise, you'll be in for a sci-fi comic book treat. Those expecting it's dialogue and depth to match The Dark Knight will be left wanting (although Loki's Shakespearean tragedy play isIf you can set aside cynicism and stomach Thor's goofy premise, you'll be in for a sci-fi comic book treat. Those expecting it's dialogue and depth to match The Dark Knight will be left wanting (although Loki's Shakespearean tragedy play is awesome) But Thor isn't that type of movie. It's aspiration is to come as close to the comic books as possible (or possibly pay homage to 80s 'classics' like Flash Gordon or Krull). The movie really succeeds at this, feeling like it has just leaped off the page and into celluloid. It's exactly as it should be: Colorful, light, action packed and very, very daft. Thor is an extremely fun romp from start to finish and one of the most refreshing super hero movies of recent memory. Expand
MarcDoyleMay 7, 2011
While Chris Hemsworth does a solid job and is charming, and his band of buddies is fun, the movie as a whole is just flat. Way too much focus on the solely CGI "other" world, and not enough on the human (or superhuman) interactions. KatWhile Chris Hemsworth does a solid job and is charming, and his band of buddies is fun, the movie as a whole is just flat. Way too much focus on the solely CGI "other" world, and not enough on the human (or superhuman) interactions. Kat Dennings is terrific, but Natalie Portman's character just seems starstruck throughout, and she doesn't do much acting. Probably the best acting job in the film is done by Idris Elba as the guardian of "the bridge." The movie pales in comparison to the best of the new generation of superhero movies - Batman Begins, Iron Man, and Dark Knight - but it is fun, and much better than the crap-fest that was Iron Man II. I'd say it's worth a look to acquire the knowledge necessary to watch The Avengers next year.... Expand
ZilcellNov 18, 2011
Thor is an okay superhero film but there is a lot like it that has been seen before. Although the acting was questionable, the story and the special effects were good.
JacobOct 24, 2013
Surprisingly I really enjoyed Thor. It is dense, two hours dense; these aren’t the greatest characters in the world; and the dutch angle can get annoying. However, I’m willing to overlook these flaws because the main characters are for theSurprisingly I really enjoyed Thor. It is dense, two hours dense; these aren’t the greatest characters in the world; and the dutch angle can get annoying. However, I’m willing to overlook these flaws because the main characters are for the most part likeable and well acted with Chris Hemsworth killing at as for, some nice character moments as opposed to a whole action fest, some enjoyable action, and some epic moments. If you’re a fan of superhero movies check this one out, which is easier than ever since it is on Netflix as I am writing this. Even if you don’t think it’s as good as Iron Man you’ll still be really entertained. If you aren’t a fan of the superhero movies than you can sit this one out since this one isn’t doing anything ground breaking that’ll change your mind. As for me, like I said before, I really enjoyed this film. It did a fantastic job establishing Thor and got me excited for The Avengers. Hopefully the sequel will surprise me as well although it has a lot to live up to if it wants to be as entertaining as this film. Expand
oxanaAug 24, 2014
All in all, I very much enjoyed this film.

All in all, I very much enjoyed this film.

Chris Hemsworth was both annoying and fabulous as Thor; he played the character very nicely, creating a stubborn, hot-tempered, prideful god who is eventually banished from his home for those very qualities.

All in all, the story was splintered between events taking place in Asgard and on Earth.

Asgard, sadly, wasn't nearly as interesting, focusing more on plotting and revelations of betrayal. Thor's Asgard companions were left a bit hollow, but his new friends on Earth (Jane Foster, played by Natalie Portman, mysterious Stellan Skarsgård as Erik Selvig and Kat Dennings as the ever optimistic Darcy Lewis) were a little better, in the end they managing to create a much-expected romance between Jane and Thor.

Regardless of the sad fact that the characters didn't have enough life in them, the story progressed nicely with fabulous action.

Definitely looking forward to any continuations.
MovieLonely94Sep 5, 2011
Based on the marvel character of the same name, this live-action movie tells the story about Thor, a noble warrior who gets exiled by his father Odin to live on earth amongst the humans. There, he meets a scientist named Jane Foster, whoBased on the marvel character of the same name, this live-action movie tells the story about Thor, a noble warrior who gets exiled by his father Odin to live on earth amongst the humans. There, he meets a scientist named Jane Foster, who teaches him lessons as his brother plots to send out his dark forces and take over all of Asgard. It is up to Thor to regain his strength and save the two worlds.

I caught the screening of this movie almost four months ago and enjoyed it. Now to my opinion.

Bad: Some of the scenes have product placements like the 7-Eleven store, the Burger King soda drink, and it even had an IPOD mention. The story was lacking and the ending was too clichéd.

Good: The actors were very good at their performances. Chris Hemsworth was very compelling as Thor and he had enough screen time. Natalie Portman was a lot of fun as Jane Porter and she was very funny. Tom Hiddleston was entertaining as Loki and had a lot of talent and Anthony Hopkins was also entertaining as Odin. The CGI and the settings were pretty good and the action scenes were amazing.

Thor may not be the best movie of 2011, but it lives up to its potential of the comic books with neat special effects, solid acting, and great action scenes.

heyitsmegrif4Jan 22, 2012
Thor is about a powerful but arrogant warrior whose reckless actions reignite an ancient war. As a result, Thor is banished to Earth where he is forced to live among humans. When the most dangerous villain of his world sends its darkestThor is about a powerful but arrogant warrior whose reckless actions reignite an ancient war. As a result, Thor is banished to Earth where he is forced to live among humans. When the most dangerous villain of his world sends its darkest forces to invade Earth, Thor learns what it takes to be a true hero. Although the film is undeniably cheesy Thor is extremely entertaining, action packed and funny and features a fantastic debut performance from Chris Hemsworth and a charming performance from Kat Dennings. Although Natalie Portman just won herself an Oscar her character is cliche and that is the exact performance she has brought us. It seems Natalie is going back to her old bad acting ways like Star Wars. I give this film 88% of a good movie. Expand
worleyjamersDec 7, 2012
Hats off to Marvel Studios...Thor is excellent. Definitely one of the best Marvel films, behind Spidermans 1 & 2, which says a lot. This film was the perfect start to the blockbuster season.

First off, the cinematography and visual affects

First off, the cinematography and visual affects for the film were fantastic. Asgard, Thor's home planet, was beautiful to look at. I really enjoyed the scenes that took place there, and the artistic elements made it even better. The appearance of the film was my favorite thing about the movie. The visual effects were great too, but I come to expect nothing less of Marvel.

The performances were excellent, especially Chris Hemsworth as Thor, and supporting actor Tom Hiddleston. Hemsworth easily could have done what happened in Fantastic 4 and taken a more silly approach to the character, but he really does a great job of sticking to the character. Even during the humorous moments, I felt the acting held up. He gives a fantastic performance and is very convincing. Tom Hiddleston gives the strongest performance of the cast, in my opinion. I thoroughly enjoyed his performance and thought he did a great job. He really added a whole other level of emotion to the film. Natalie Portman is also fantastic, but I expect nothing less from her.

The story was also very appealing. I know absolutely nothing about the comic book Thor, same as most everyone else, so had no idea what to expect of this film. Marvel and director Kenneth Branagh knew this and were sure to keep that in mind when creating the movie. They did an excellent job. The characters were introduced nicely, the scenery gives the story a unique time and place, the pacing is great, there's little time wasted on narration and development, and they casted a brilliant set of actors to deliver the conflict and emotion. Also equal attention was given to both the God world and the human world, which I thought was very nice. The story was foreign to me, but because of the good direction and production, I ended up liking it a lot.

For the first blockbuster of the summer, Thor is a smashing success. I hope it scores big at the box office and I recommend it to everyone. This is Marvel's "prettiest" film, so take advantage of that at least.
TheApplegnomeJul 30, 2014
The best Marvel film so far, that show the most adventurous and stunning visuals that never have been identified before.

The high amount of science fiction and action truly keeps me entertained, not to mention the amazing CGI and the stunning amount of details, which together form a wonderful and entertaining film. The romance (no spoilers) between the characters in Thor truly gives the movie a high rating, because it’s so wonderful. The story in Thor is one other thing that’s fascinating, and there are many unique things that are cool to see in this amazing film, even thought there are some slow scenes where nothing particularly happened.

Thor is an entertaining film, that also is funny and enjoyable, and combined with a stunning composing from Patrick Doyle, is this film amazing to watch.

It’s not a flawless film, but it’s a very well made film by Marvel.

Thor gets a 8.3/10
StevenFMay 22, 2013
Some superhero films just click in the sort of way where everyone is there for a reason, the plot flows nicely, the dialogue is the balanced blend of drama with real humour to mellow the mood, and characters that are larger than life andSome superhero films just click in the sort of way where everyone is there for a reason, the plot flows nicely, the dialogue is the balanced blend of drama with real humour to mellow the mood, and characters that are larger than life and memorable. Thor has all of these, just not to the fullest.
The God of Thunder is an over-confident, adrenaline-fuelled piece of meat played by the talented Chris Hemsworth, he is the would-be King to succeed his father, Odin (Anthony Hopkins), King of Asgard.
When Thor recklessly battles with the Ice Giants of Jotunheim, a race that his father was holding a dodgy truth with, he is banished by his father and removed of all his power, including his hammer, Mjolnir.
Crossing paths with the banished God on earth is Jane Foster (Natalie Portman), who accidentally runs him over while chasing an anomaly in the sky, Jane and her team, Eric Selvig (Stellan Skarsgård) and Darcy (Kat Dennings) are unaware at first that it was Thor and his hammer causing the strange occurrences in the sky.
As Thor adjusts to life on earth, his brother Loki (Tom Hiddlestone), mischievous indeed, isn't everything he appears to be, and sets out a plan to be King. This is without doubt an explosive and action-packed first outing for Thor, the humour in the film is top notch and director Kenneth Branagh brings a true sense of realism to such an expansive and magical story.
However, the film too often feels like a tie-in to keep us going until The Avengers, much like Iron Man 2, S.H.I.E.L.D. are just too heavily involved and often spoil the party for an otherwise enjoyable flick. The action is often just too quick, flashy and CGI-laden to enjoy, there is plenty of blur in the film, for all the wrong reasons. Clark Gregg returns as Agent Coulson, and while his scenes are good, and sometimes funny ("One of Starks?" "I don't know, he doesn't tell me anything"), they are just too expansive and plot oriented to the point where we start to lose interest in the Thor plot.
That aside, Chris Hemsworth is perfectly cast, his charm, bulging biceps and over-zealous attitude contribute to much of the comedy, with a few one-liners that are simply priceless. The chemistry between himself and Portman is magical, while the more limited role of Selvig is enjoyable, its really the small part of Idris Elba playing Heimdall that is excellent.
Not a the best of the Marvel Universe, but certainly an enjoyable first outing for Thor.
Bruce722May 29, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Like the rest of the Avengers films, this movie was fantastic. I thought Chris Hemsworth did a great job in his portrayal of Thor and the rest of the cast was great. Natalie Portman is as breathtaking as ever and the rest of the supporting cast adds a combination of depth and humor. The action sequences were done great and I loved how well this film tied in with the others in the universe. The little nods towards Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk were subtle yet really well played. I thought Loki's motives were a little shaky, especially considering that it's the entire foundation of the movie. Nonetheless, the rest of the plot develops really nicely and the film gets a bit of everything from action to drama to romance to suspense. If you can suspend your disbelief enough to accept the premise of the film, I think this movie is very entertaining and enjoyable. Expand
HalfwelshmanMay 21, 2011
It's such a thrill to see a fun superhero movie again - the dark and moody craze appears to be at an end. The cast are on top form - Hemsworth really does take the god of thunder on a believable journey, Hiddleston admirably portrays a ratherIt's such a thrill to see a fun superhero movie again - the dark and moody craze appears to be at an end. The cast are on top form - Hemsworth really does take the god of thunder on a believable journey, Hiddleston admirably portrays a rather complex villain and Dennings provides most of the laughs. But as usual, Anthony Hopkins is simply playing Anthony Hopkins. While the story may take a while to get going, there's so much in Thor to enjoy - fantasy, action, comedy and romance are all seamlessly woven throughout. Expand
BikerjamesMay 9, 2011
First and foremost, I have never been a big fan of superhero movies. I hated the Spiderman movies, liked but didn't love the Batman films, liked but didn't love the hulk movies, liked the first Iron man, hated the second. But this filmFirst and foremost, I have never been a big fan of superhero movies. I hated the Spiderman movies, liked but didn't love the Batman films, liked but didn't love the hulk movies, liked the first Iron man, hated the second. But this film really looked and felt like a comic book to me, which is the whole point. Most importantly, it actually had HUMOR. How refreshing. The special effects were great. There were moments where the background looked drawn, especially Thor's world (or realm as he called it), but that added to the "comic book" feel to me. I saw it in Digital IMAX 3D, and it looked fantastic. I can take or leave 3D but love IMAX so the 3D just came along for the ride. At first the Natalie Portman character seems thrown in for the inevitable Hollywood love interest, but in the end I liked that he fell in love with a mortal from earth, and it sets up the sequel. Newcomer Chris Hemsworth is terrific, and all the supporting acting is up to par. Lots of action in the film - you won't be bored. Expand
ShiiraJun 29, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "Now is the [summer] of our discontent." As pertaining to classically-trained Shakespearean actors starring in "high-concept" movies soon after the phenomenal success of "Jaws", surely it was Alec Guinness, who may have first thought those words on the set of "Star Wars", playing Obi-Wan Kenobi, a film and role he utterly despised. If not for the great white shark that terrorized Amity Beach vacationers just two years earlier, which put an end to the golden age of director-driven movies, Guinness, who played Exeter opposite Laurence Olivier in "Henry V" and then the title role in "Romeo and Juliet", probably wouldn't feel impelled to go anywhere near a light saber or a wrinkly green Jedi. Thirty years later, "selling out" has a new name; it's called "rebranding". And so it goes. Kenneth Branagh, director of the much-ballyhooed "Hamlet", could conceivably have said, "How did I come to this? I played Richard the Third,"(it was actually Alan Rickman in "Galaxy Quest"), because even though Asgard is a long ways off from the Crucible Theater(where Branagh played the Machiavellian king), "Thor", conversely, is also a long ways off from rubbing elbows with the likes of "Daredevil", "Ghost Rider" and "Catwoman". So even though nobody who knows Branagh in his previous incarnation as an Anglophile would be in his right mind to give him "five curtain calls"(like Rickman's Alexander Dane, who plays the Spockish alien Dr. Lazarus in the "Star Trek"-inspired show-within-the movie) for dumbing down with a movies that was motivated by careerism, this high-profile booster of Shakespeare's plays, as a trade-off, has earned himself some hearty applause from the discriminating fanboy, who may be unschooled in the works of the Bard, but can name every superhero in the comic book universe. Unlike Arnold in "Conan the Barbarian", the audience is laughing with Chris Hemsworth, not at him. Personality-wise, the title character is more Dark Horse than Dark Knight. In other words, Branagh uses comic relief as a counterpoint to the obligatory action set-pieces, in very much the same manner as "Hellboy". You don't take Batman to a diner for food and drink, or "sustenance", as Thor puts it, because if the Caped Crusader smashed a glass to the floor, patrons would be heading for the exit in droves. Unencumbered by childhood angst, Thor takes his new surroundings in stride, sporting a convivial spirit you wouldn't expect from a man of the tenth century. The Norse god is also a known entity to the world at-large. In the Guillermo del Toro original, Hellboy is immortalized in comic books("They never get the eyes right," the red creature muses aloud), whereas Thor inspires Erik Selvig, Jane's mentor, to check out "Myths and Legends of the Norse Gods" from the public library. But this isn't your grandfather's Asgard. The capital city of the Norse gods is the gaudiest thing this side of "Flash Gordon". Appropriately enough, Thor looks like a prototypical tight end, a football player, as was Flash, a QB, who finds himself on the planet Mongo, making like Fran Tarkenton in the court of Ming the Merciless, because Hans Zarkov knew that nefarious forces could be behind an unexpected total eclipse of the sun and a moon gone rogue. Resembling Zarkov, she alone keeps chasing wormholes in the New Mexico desert, because both scientists on the fringe believe that science fiction and science fact could very well be one and the same. As a result, she is more willing to accept the existence of Asgard than her hypothetical-minded colleague. When Odin banishes his war-mongering son to earth, the mode in which he travels through the space-time continuum(the body itself as a ship) resembles the interplanetary trip that the television actors make in "Galaxy Quest". Since Eric acknowledges the Norse god solely in its guise as a literary figure, and not the Avenger of Marvel lore, a juxtaposition presents itself, in which popular culture is shown to have replaced literature as the stuff that fuels young people's dreams. Whereas Eric, as a child, believed in something he read in a book, the young fan in "Galaxy Quest" swears that the cheesy space opera, something he saw on TV, is real, a surrogate religion. For the alien envoy who confuses the show for "historical documents"(read: Bible), it's religion personified, going so far as remaking themselves in God's image. For Brandon, receiving the transmission from the captain is akin to being a prophet, doing God's work from earth while the starship captain and his crew do battle in the celestial heavens. "Galaxy Quest" works as a metaphor for the validation of Scientology as a religion. In "Thor", the god that figures prominently in primitive Germanic religions, is recast in a sci-fi setting, so when Thor and his friends manifest themselves on earth, the Norse creation myth is validated. It's "Dianetics" in disguise. Expand
FuturedirectorMar 17, 2016
Thor is another classic of action films. Maybe the mitology and formula it's a bit confusing or dull for this kind of films, but it really works, with interesting story-telling, human altitude, great interpretations and action-packed. Fans ofThor is another classic of action films. Maybe the mitology and formula it's a bit confusing or dull for this kind of films, but it really works, with interesting story-telling, human altitude, great interpretations and action-packed. Fans of Marvel will really like this film. Expand
Rox22Mar 19, 2013
I didn't really expect too much from this movie, as I was never too much a fan of the comic or the character. But, to my surprise, it was somewhat decent. Effects were first rate, the characters were well played (perhaps a bit hammy atI didn't really expect too much from this movie, as I was never too much a fan of the comic or the character. But, to my surprise, it was somewhat decent. Effects were first rate, the characters were well played (perhaps a bit hammy at points) and story was a pretty good origin story for Thor. Overall: A good, but not great, movie. My least favorite of the Avenger characters. Expand
Movie1997Dec 19, 2013
While it's not the best super hero ever made, it still showcases some good old super hero starts! While some say the sequel is way better than the this first installment, I disagree. "Thor" brings in an interesting plot with good charactersWhile it's not the best super hero ever made, it still showcases some good old super hero starts! While some say the sequel is way better than the this first installment, I disagree. "Thor" brings in an interesting plot with good characters and some good storytelling. It never felt too goofy, but never brought anything more than it could have. Overall, it's still a pretty good marvel movie. I give it a B. Expand
diogomendesOct 26, 2014
Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) Analysis: Thor (2011)

Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) Analysis: Thor (2011)

Okay, I’m going to be quite honest right here and say that… I thought this movie was going to suck. I really did. Not that I have a problem with the cast, I really don’t have. The problem is that Thor is my least favorite character and seeing a character walking around strange planets with magic and science related is something that I wouldn’t find enthusiastic or even entertaining. I’m more related to technology, maybe that’s why I think Iron Man is a way better character despite his latest movie (Iron Man 2, the one I saw lately) was semi-disappointing. However, after seeing “Thor”, I can at least say that I found myself satisfied. This movie is not better than “Captain America: The First Avenger” but comes close with wit, humor and human drama. I gave this movie an 8 when I saw it for the first time, but now I realize that it’s not worthy of it. Mainly because there’s some issues with the film itself that really made me question myself if I was watching a good movie or a boring one. There’s not much to say about this, but I’ll try to write a full detailed, well-reasoned review on this one.

The reckless Thor (Chris Hemsworth) son of Odin (Anthony Hopkins), challenges his brother's claim to the throne of Asgard. To teach him humility, Odin casts the young warrior down to Earth to live among humans. Robbed of his powers, Thor falls in love with a scientist Jane Foster (Natalie Portman). While Thor's brother; Loki usurps the throne of Asgard for evil gain and plans revenge, Thor's love for Jane and his lessons of humility turn him into the true hero and legendary and immortal warrior-defender of the peoples of the Earth saving them from destruction.

As you can see in the plot summary above, there’s really nothing much to say. The film’s narrative flows nicely throughout the movie (though sometimes is a little bit rushed). There’s a lot of lines in the movie that are, indeed, well-written. The dialogue between Asgardians is almighty (Pun fully intended) and even the interaction between humans seem grounded and believable. Again, like I said in my Iron Man’s review, it’s very difficult to capture belief in movies, especially if we are talking about super-heroes and Gods in general so if there’s something that this movie needs credit for, it’s the dialogue. The plot also introduces some action scenes (we’ll get to that later) but they are really short, perhaps the movie just wants to focus on its characters and the universe’s atmosphere, while also adding some comedic relief. And that’s my favorite bit.

The comedy is pretty good. There’s one scene where Thor enters into an animal’s shop—where there’s only cats, birds and dogs—and asks for a horse. And the manager is like “Oh we just have dogs and cats…” and Thor responds: “Give me one of those large enough to ride”. Or when Thor is drinking and says: “I like this drink! Another! *Smashes glass*”. There’s some really funny moments in this movie that just made my day while watching it. And not only the script provides it, but the actors also know how to perform it to make it even funnier.

Now, the action. If you haven’t seen this movie yet, please don’t expect too much action, because this movie has only few scenes with fights. However, when they appear, they are very well done. Director Kenneth Branagh clearly understands that action is not only about punches and kicks in the face. He brings panache and sense of fun to the action sequences and it’s more than promised.

Chris Hemsworth makes for a compelling hero, as his character Thor is very easy to understand. He’s arrogant, stupid and often dangerous. That’s another thing I like about this movie. It’s the character development. You can easily understand these characters through their emotions, their actions, their dreams and fears. The cast also helps it.

Of course, with all of this, we also get to see some few easter eggs related to Marvel Cinematic Universe. Hawkeye makes a special cameo and Agent Coulson has some scenes, while Nick Fury only appears in a post-credits scene, revealing a strange object with unlimited power. It’s very exciting to see all these storylines get tangled into one story. That’s why I am doing this big marathon, right?

Final Score to Thor (2011): 7/10. I couldn’t give this a higher score. Its narrative has its questionable flaws. However, this is a super-hero movie done right. It’s got charisma, heart, comedy and some action. Everything that any moviegoer or comic book fans would ask for. Its sequel is not that great, but this film, is good. Next MCU movie to review: The Incredible Hulk (2008).
hoops2448Oct 2, 2011
The beauty of Thor in comparison to its other marvel counterparts of the last few years (Captain America and Iron Man 2) is that it has fun with the story that its telling. Superheroes don't have to be dark and brooding (unless it improvesThe beauty of Thor in comparison to its other marvel counterparts of the last few years (Captain America and Iron Man 2) is that it has fun with the story that its telling. Superheroes don't have to be dark and brooding (unless it improves the film like in Batman Begins, a film that still manages to have fun despite the subject matter). Thor's (Chris Hemsworth) story is a simple one with him being a selfish, arrogant heir to the throne of Asgard (a planet far from earth) who makes a terrible mistake and is banished from Asgard by his father Odin (played with great gravitas by Anthony Hopkins). The fact that Thor is an origins movie works in its favour as the whole film is about his growth into the king his father wants him to be and the hero that earth needs him to be. It also allows for something rarely seen in film, a thoroughly unpleasant lead character. However the film isn't really anything more than an action film, despite the beautiful landscapes used and the astounding visuals of Asgard it is still just an action film. However the film works in that regard unlike Iron Man 2 and Captain America because its funny, charming and well paced. Expand
OfficialMar 8, 2014
This film is a good setup, leading to "The Avengers". It has emotion, good visuals and a great villain. It's not as good as "Iron Man" or "The Avengers", but you're a fan of either one of those films, you can't miss out "Thor".
BrandonBonaseraNov 4, 2011
Although it has horrible dialogue and acting, it is a fun, entertaining and hilarious film that provides more laughs than anything else. Better than I expected.
survivorfan989Aug 10, 2013
Not as good as I first remembered but still a highly entertaining film. There is plenty to like here as Thor is one of my favourite characters from 'The Avengers' line-up and I find I can enjoy this film as apposed to the likes of theNot as good as I first remembered but still a highly entertaining film. There is plenty to like here as Thor is one of my favourite characters from 'The Avengers' line-up and I find I can enjoy this film as apposed to the likes of the 'Iron-Man' series. There isn't a great deal of Action for a film that you would expect to have a lot of it, but the final few scenes is where it picks up. Overall a very good film and I am quite looking forward to the sequel later this year! Expand
aadityamudharApr 17, 2016
Often pointed out as the worst in the marvel phase one, Thor is a movie that was not able to reach its full potential but still remained as an enjoyable ride from start to finish. It can be seen that Chris Hemsworth really tried, but his lackOften pointed out as the worst in the marvel phase one, Thor is a movie that was not able to reach its full potential but still remained as an enjoyable ride from start to finish. It can be seen that Chris Hemsworth really tried, but his lack of charisma really didn't make the title character interesting. Maybe its the character itself at fault here, but he really wasn't likeable enough. Expand
MrMovieBuffJul 8, 2015
'Thor' follows the story of a once arrogant God named Thor (Chris Hemsworth), who is banished from his world, Asgard by his father and king, Odin (Anthony Hopkins). Along the way, at Earth, Thor meets three scientists; Jane (Natalie Portman),'Thor' follows the story of a once arrogant God named Thor (Chris Hemsworth), who is banished from his world, Asgard by his father and king, Odin (Anthony Hopkins). Along the way, at Earth, Thor meets three scientists; Jane (Natalie Portman), Eric Selvig (Stellan Skarsgard) and Darcy (Kat Dennings).

At Earth, Thor learns what it is and how to be worthy in order for him to become a mighty God again, but all that doesn't go according to plan when his scheming and jealous brother, Loki (Tom Hiddleston) plans to jeopardize Thor's return to Asgard and become King once again.

Kenneth Branagh directs this movie with such visual ambition, the actors commit to their roles very well despite looking and often sounding ridiculous what with the costumes and constant Shakespeare-like dialogue. It definitely doesn't feel like a comic book movie, instead, more like a tone-down version of "The Lord of the Rings" and "Game of Thrones".

The film does suffer from predictability and, possibly, just a short and thinly written plot, but it is a lot of fun, it may not rank among some great comic book films like; 'Superman' (1978), 'X2: X-Men United' (2003), or even 'The Dark Knight' (2008), but if you are a fan of the "Thor " comics...then you will like this for what it is.
RikiegeSep 25, 2012
When I went to the cinema to see it not that eager tubiera ... But pay to see this crap? By God, you freak! It is very bad and ridiculous. With a plot that looks like the movie "Enchanted".
MegWhiteleyMar 7, 2012
This a fantastic film, the mithology of the comic appear in this film, the cast do a great performance of the characters, and the effects, wow, are awesome, the screenplay is good. Thor is one of the better MARVEL Studious films.
oblique15Feb 16, 2013
I loved this movie, but I was more amazed by the character Heimdall! He was epic! This movie is more about learning about Thor, I expect any sequel to have more action.
BradySmithDec 21, 2013
Thor is an enjoyable superhero movie. It doesn't really try anything new, but it uses the standard ingredients well enough. It has a likeable hero, decent visual effects, and a very good finale. Sometimes it can even make you sad. InThor is an enjoyable superhero movie. It doesn't really try anything new, but it uses the standard ingredients well enough. It has a likeable hero, decent visual effects, and a very good finale. Sometimes it can even make you sad. In places the script and direction do need some work though. It's no Dark Knight ,but what else is? Well to be honest Iron Man, and the first two Spider-Man films were also better than Thor. So it's not exactly one of its genre's best. It's just above average entertainment. I can live with that. Expand
DanBurritoOct 9, 2015
Unique among superhero films. For one thing, it's got a fantasy feel to it and for another thing, the main character has been stripped of his powers for most of the movie so it's more of a fish out of water story. Tom Hiddleson's Loki wasUnique among superhero films. For one thing, it's got a fantasy feel to it and for another thing, the main character has been stripped of his powers for most of the movie so it's more of a fish out of water story. Tom Hiddleson's Loki was brilliant (looks like the MCU has found their Heath Ledger) and Chris Hemsworth was very good as the title character. It's a pretty good movie, different from most films of its kind. Expand
asylumspadezNov 26, 2011
While the main cast did a solid job, The CGI was absolutely terrible and looked very bad. The action was also pretty terrible as well. The franchise has a ton of potential though.
gm101May 6, 2011
Better than the Iron Man movies, and the best Marvel movie since 2008's The Incredible Hulk. Loki may stand alongside Final Fantasy's Sephiroth as one of the best villains ever! I have a very good feeling now about Captain America and TheBetter than the Iron Man movies, and the best Marvel movie since 2008's The Incredible Hulk. Loki may stand alongside Final Fantasy's Sephiroth as one of the best villains ever! I have a very good feeling now about Captain America and The Avengers. And don't worry, the post-converted 3D was actually done well. Two thumbs up! Expand
cabritaOct 12, 2011
Thor is a great example of a movie that is fairly etertaining but not a good movie. The characters are flat and static which leaves no room for character development.
Knicksfan7Jun 1, 2011
This movie was EPIC! I absolutely loved this movie, the action was amazing. Chris Hemsworth, although I never heard of him before this movie was a perfect fit for this film. He has the perfect look and size for Thor. The only reason I gaveThis movie was EPIC! I absolutely loved this movie, the action was amazing. Chris Hemsworth, although I never heard of him before this movie was a perfect fit for this film. He has the perfect look and size for Thor. The only reason I gave this a 9 and not a 10 is because it got a little corny at times, but thats understanding though because its tough to make a comic book movie like this and make it perfectly realistic, It definitely does not deserve the ratings it is getting from critics. I've seen it twice and plan on seeing it another, great movie, overall, 9.5/10, now I can't wait to see Thor in the Avengers May 4th of 2012! Expand
asthobaskoroSep 16, 2011
I don't know how. Thor was goddamn awful and silly. Probably with the script and characters. But Hiddleston was great. I should worry with The Avengers now.
AkkharSep 5, 2011
This is a Great adaption of the known comics book THOR . All of them behind and front of the movie did an amazing work . The whole film is a mixture of Action , thriller , mystery and Funny element that exactly a good movie should have .This is a Great adaption of the known comics book THOR . All of them behind and front of the movie did an amazing work . The whole film is a mixture of Action , thriller , mystery and Funny element that exactly a good movie should have . Sometimes it seems better then Marvel's Iron Man . The Sound tracks and Special Effect was super . Stellan , Anthony , Tom , Kat & Natalie did so good .And Chris was the perfect choice for playing Thor . Kenneth's Direction was great . Story : 1.62 [All comics adaption Movie seems too flat but it was so close to be perfect] Directing : 1.62 Acting : 1.72 [Perfect Chris and amazing Natalie and Tom] Sound :1.62 Effect : 1.72 OVERALL : 8.210â Expand
moonman1994Mar 7, 2015
Although a solid movie and certainly entertaining it never lives up to what marvel movies have shown they can be. Despite keeping your interest there are no points of the movie that are great or particularly memorable.
Khunter4382Sep 14, 2011
The entire film is supported by an all-star cast and each one delivers a pretty darn good performance. Every scene in Asgard, Jotunheim, and in between those two locations quite simply steals the show. I was mesmerized with these settings andThe entire film is supported by an all-star cast and each one delivers a pretty darn good performance. Every scene in Asgard, Jotunheim, and in between those two locations quite simply steals the show. I was mesmerized with these settings and I wish we could have seen more of them. Earth is lackluster when compared to the aforementioned locations, but Thor does make it a tab bit more interesting. The presence of Hopkins is always appreciated and Skarsgard is magnificent as always. Hemsworth is not bad either! This film looks spectacular on Blu-Ray! Expand
A_NorthernerJul 15, 2012
After Iron Man and Hulk, next up was Thor for introduction to the cinema-going masses in preparation for his role in The Avengers.

In comparison with most other superheroes, not only being from another world but a God at that, the story of Thor is probably one of the more difficult stories for adaptation. By dealing with other worlds and deities, as superhero stories go, Thor is more magical and less grounded than say Captain America or Batman. The result is a hit and miss comic book adaptation that suffers from a poor villain, too much mythology and fantasy, unmemorable fight scenes and an occasionally cheesy script. Chris Hemsworth is likeable as Thor, he delivers both the brash arrogance and later sincerity of the character and although I haven't seen The Avengers I hope his character is given a reasonable amount of time.

The story benefits most when Thor is exiled to Earth, the subsequent clash of cultures with scientist Natalie Portman is funny in places, although the line about a phone picture going straight onto Facebook may win 'cheesiest line of the year'.

Having read differing reviews of Tom Hiddleston's Loki, I side with the negative. Comparisons of the actor's portrayal with Heath Ledger's Joker are way wide of the mark. Thor's brother Loki is as unmemorable a villain as I can remember.

A must see for any comic book or Avengers fan but not the greatest superhero film.
ArkonBladeSep 15, 2011
thor over all was a ok movie it had a ok plot , ok acting , and some pretty good action . the best part of the movie is probubly the first 30 min . it opens up great but then kinda goes down abit once thor gets to earth. mainly because hethor over all was a ok movie it had a ok plot , ok acting , and some pretty good action . the best part of the movie is probubly the first 30 min . it opens up great but then kinda goes down abit once thor gets to earth. mainly because he starts off as a ego maniac who cares for nothing but kicking ass . then all of a sudden he turns into this kind gentle man who wants to save every one with nothing in the film that explains why all of a sudden he makes this change in his life.like i said its a ok film that if you into the comic book films you will probubly find it alright . Expand
dev92Aug 25, 2012
The film is solid fun with the cast doing a stellar job but both this film and Captain America just feel like they have been made to stop Avenger's from having any character introductions. Still most of this film is great and I always enjoyThe film is solid fun with the cast doing a stellar job but both this film and Captain America just feel like they have been made to stop Avenger's from having any character introductions. Still most of this film is great and I always enjoy Natalie Portman's performances. Expand
wishmasterOct 30, 2011
by Satan that movie more absurd, nonsensical, badly directed, badly acted, inconsistent and not at all entertaining, the special effects were nothing surprising.
TonyMay 28, 2011
I love superhero films, but this is certainly one of the weaker Marvel entries. The film suffers from wildly inconsistent changes in tone, going from silly to deadly serious sometimes in the midst of a scene. The special effects also wereI love superhero films, but this is certainly one of the weaker Marvel entries. The film suffers from wildly inconsistent changes in tone, going from silly to deadly serious sometimes in the midst of a scene. The special effects also were inconsistent, sometimes looking cartoonish. Expand
BarneyOnMTMar 12, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: 'Thor' is majestic, fantastical yet heart-filled. Really, it's a shock it's so good, but thanks Kenneth Brannagh's Shakespearean characterisation, we get one of the better hero origins we've seen. Branagh's attention to detailWHAT I LIKED: 'Thor' is majestic, fantastical yet heart-filled. Really, it's a shock it's so good, but thanks Kenneth Brannagh's Shakespearean characterisation, we get one of the better hero origins we've seen. Branagh's attention to detail is perfect for this world and these characters, as are the incredible cast who are all perfect for their roles. This film will make you smile, triumph, and it'll even tug at your heart strings.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: It could have done with a touch more action and a more interesting plot to add to it's overall impact. Oh, and, what was Loki's plan exactly...?
VERDICT: A fantasy take on Superhero films, 'Thor' is sadly Marvel's forgotten gem - it's actually very good.
txrangersfan72May 6, 2011
What has made Nolan's Batman, as well as Favreau's Iron Man, movies so well-received has been because they have taken normal humans and had them rise into something bigger, making it more believable, no matter how outlandish. So when I heardWhat has made Nolan's Batman, as well as Favreau's Iron Man, movies so well-received has been because they have taken normal humans and had them rise into something bigger, making it more believable, no matter how outlandish. So when I heard Thor would be included, as he should, in the Avengers saga, especially with his own film, I was admittedly concerned that there was no way to maintain the integrity established by Nolan and Favreau and retain the strong story and audience. I was wrong. While not a perfect film, I cannot imagine a better handling of this mythological story and have it connect to the world today as perfectly as Kenneth Branagh's Thor. Expand
avatar16Aug 23, 2011
Thor n'est, au final, pas le film d'action attendu. Même si les personnages sont traités en profondeur comme rarement dans ce genre de divertissement, le film traîne pas mal en longueur, au point deThor n'est, au final, pas le film d'action attendu. Même si les personnages sont traités en profondeur comme rarement dans ce genre de divertissement, le film traîne pas mal en longueur, au point de gâcher la plupart des séquences qui se montraient jouissives dans la bande-annonce (comme le combat avec l'espèce de robot). De plus, certains acteurs déçoivent (surtout Natalie Portman qui surjoue énormément) et la plupart des cadrages ne sont pas terribles (trop en biais). Mais Thor conserve un certain charme grâce à ces décors et costumes (je préfère nettement cet Asgard high-tech), de bons effets visuels, une plaisante bande-originale et un humour bien placé. Pas aussi bon que L'Incroyable Hulk et Iron Man, mais un bon divertissement non sans défauts. Expand
mrmonsterMay 31, 2012
Thor was by far the worst superhero movie of all time. The movie was like a science fiction version of Twilight. The movie will put you to sleep within like, two minutes. Unless you are a hardcore Thor fan, do not even consider renting this movie.
DarkCriticMay 6, 2011
Thor is just okay superhero movie, but it's not that great just like the rest of the superhero movies. I did enjoy the action scenes and the setting looks pretty good, but I didn't see in 3D because it gets too much flashy scenes everywhereThor is just okay superhero movie, but it's not that great just like the rest of the superhero movies. I did enjoy the action scenes and the setting looks pretty good, but I didn't see in 3D because it gets too much flashy scenes everywhere and why everybody else wanted to see this movie in 3D? The new actor who played the Thor is okay and he's very over the top, but way too much over the top just like the rest of the cast. Some scenes are laughable and it could be much more fun. I didn't enjoy the story and the most of the characters, it gets fall flat, but not that bad. Okay movie and it's a little bit good, it wouldn't be near as Iron Man or The Incredible Hulk. I hope the new The Avengers will be good until next year. Expand
rotkuApr 22, 2012
Unfortunately I had high expectations for this movie and I was sorely disappointed. There was so much more scope for battle scene which and along with his band of merry friends I struggled to understand why Thor and co. were build up to beUnfortunately I had high expectations for this movie and I was sorely disappointed. There was so much more scope for battle scene which and along with his band of merry friends I struggled to understand why Thor and co. were build up to be this crack squad of warriors when they done so little battling. Expand
AwesomeReviewerMar 26, 2012
The basic message of â
TTW107May 6, 2012
Everyone I talked to about Thor thoroughly disliked it, but I'm really not sure why. It kept my attention throughout and the special effects looked beautiful. I agree that the story could've been a little more exciting but oh well, it wasEveryone I talked to about Thor thoroughly disliked it, but I'm really not sure why. It kept my attention throughout and the special effects looked beautiful. I agree that the story could've been a little more exciting but oh well, it was definitely entertaining and worth my one buck to rent through redbox. Expand
StevieGJDMay 9, 2011
I was surprised how much I liked the Norse mythology modern love story mash up. Hemsworth is a very credible Thor. His band of friends are fun to watch. I liked the two congruent stories, on earth and in Thor's home world. Anthony HopkinsI was surprised how much I liked the Norse mythology modern love story mash up. Hemsworth is a very credible Thor. His band of friends are fun to watch. I liked the two congruent stories, on earth and in Thor's home world. Anthony Hopkins was his usual credible self as Odin. Anyone could have played the Natalie Portman part, but she was fine, nothing special. Still, it was fun to watch. I'm glad I did not see it in 3D because it was very dark at times and that is a recipe for disaster in 3d. It was entertaining, light, did not take itself too seriously and was fun: great summer movie. Expand
filmtrashreviewJun 8, 2011
Thor blends mythology and superhero together so well that at times you forget which one is which. This is a must see for any person planning on watching The Avengers. However if your not a true fan of comic book films its better that you passThor blends mythology and superhero together so well that at times you forget which one is which. This is a must see for any person planning on watching The Avengers. However if your not a true fan of comic book films its better that you pass on this one. Expand
Spielberg00Nov 14, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bottom Line: One of the better films in the â Expand
SythusRATINGSOct 19, 2014
Thor spans the Marvel Universe from present day Earth to the realm of Asgard. At the center of the story is the mighty Thor, a powerful but arrogant warrior whose reckless actions reignite an ancient war. Thor is cast down to Earth by hisThor spans the Marvel Universe from present day Earth to the realm of Asgard. At the center of the story is the mighty Thor, a powerful but arrogant warrior whose reckless actions reignite an ancient war. Thor is cast down to Earth by his father Odin and is forced to live among humans. A beautiful, young scientist, Jane Foster, has a profound effect on Thor, as she ultimately becomes his first love. It's while here on Earth that Thor learns what it takes to be a true hero when the most dangerous villain of his world sends the darkest forces of Asgard to invade Earth. Expand
davenbettridgeJul 17, 2011
Thor would have been so easy for film makers to screw up; an armoured super hero with a magic hammer and red cape in modern times is something that was very tricky to get right, and at least not totally ridiculous. Well, Im happy to say thatThor would have been so easy for film makers to screw up; an armoured super hero with a magic hammer and red cape in modern times is something that was very tricky to get right, and at least not totally ridiculous. Well, Im happy to say that while the movie Thor is certainly not perfect and has a few problems, is still enjoyable enough to make it worth your while. The characters are fun enough, the setting is interesting, and the character arc of Thor works. The love story does seem a bit forced, one of the comic relief characters is annoying and unnecessary, and the scenes in the on earth are a bit flat compared to the scene in the world in which Thor originates; however what we have is fun, and enjoyable enough to watch compared to most popular movies. Im interested in seeing where Thor goes from here. Expand
ZerpnosMar 4, 2017
Dünyaya ışınlanan Thor ilk başta olayları araştıran birileriyle tanışır ve kıza aşık olur. Güzel zamanlar geçiren Thor artık çekici bulmanın vaktini geldiğini anlamıştır fakat biraz geç kalmıştır. Agents of Shield denen ekip çoktan çekicinDünyaya ışınlanan Thor ilk başta olayları araştıran birileriyle tanışır ve kıza aşık olur. Güzel zamanlar geçiren Thor artık çekici bulmanın vaktini geldiğini anlamıştır fakat biraz geç kalmıştır. Agents of Shield denen ekip çoktan çekicin etrafını çevirmiş ve incelemeye başlamıştır. Sonunda çekicine kavuşan Thor, Dünyaya gönderilen Yokediciyi ardından Asgarda saldırmak isteyen kötüleri durdurur. Expand
JohnKristoferDec 22, 2014
Thor(2011) is funny and enjoyable for all ages.Thor is portrayed well by Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston did a great job portraying his role "Loki" but the other characters are just flat and boring.
SuperheroMoviesApr 17, 2014
Bolstered by an enthusiastic cast and a broad sense of humor, Thor is one Marvel film that delivers on many levels and is delivered with an honest, fun spirit that will spark the sense of adventure.
MoviebuffreviewJun 19, 2011
Thor had solid acting, including a breakthrough performance by Chris Hemsworth, great action, solid humor, and a good ending. However, Thor also suffered from some pacing issues and some scenes that take you out of the experience.Thor had solid acting, including a breakthrough performance by Chris Hemsworth, great action, solid humor, and a good ending. However, Thor also suffered from some pacing issues and some scenes that take you out of the experience. Nonetheless, this is still a movie worth watching and is a solid adaptation before The Avengers comes out next year. Expand
FDT44May 12, 2011
When you look at "Thor" on paper, you see a film booming with all sorts of potential, intrigue, and an aptitude for something not yet seen from Marvel. Unfortunately, when you take the time to actually buy a ticket, sit down in your seat andWhen you look at "Thor" on paper, you see a film booming with all sorts of potential, intrigue, and an aptitude for something not yet seen from Marvel. Unfortunately, when you take the time to actually buy a ticket, sit down in your seat and prepare to relax, the film doesn't quite live up to such expectations. The film hem and haws at which time period it wants to delineate; the conjugality between ancient Norse mythology and the modern 21st century are muddled together very awkwardly. Aside from such befuddlement, "Thor" is highly entertaining and holds its Aryan head on the shoulders of Hemsworth, who does very well to steer the film's direction and provide ample laughs. After you begin to examine the film after abstaining from Hemworth's charisma and allure, you can't help but notice the amount of plot holes and ambiguity that are left lingering. The pace seemed rushed, omitting essential and "needed" elements to the film. Besides Thor's smashing of a coffee cup in the diner, the viewer is never introduced to the barbarism that is expected of a Norseman. Question concerning a multicultural Asgard also left me confused, but that was enough for me to shake off. Despite that tolerance, however, the film disregards any mention of how Thor is able to communicate and understand the jargon of 21st century America. The film begins to show the backwardness of Norse times (granted very poorly) as Hemsworth goes into a pet store looking for a horse. I found this to be a start in the right direction, until Portman's character yells "Need a lift?" To my surprise, Thor hops into a vehicle without any sort of amazement or consternation to the automotive advancement. Next, I can appreciate the film's attempts to include subtle humor to break up the, at times, constant ennui, but straying from the movie's ambiance to do so is brainless. When it is ever acceptable to mention the word "princess" as a means of insult in a Norse land, is the day that Batman is no longer rich. Yes, there are children at the movies too, this is true, but the rest of the scene into Odenheim is dreary, grave, and grim filled with grotesque, blood hungry Frost Giants--when is this a time to lower the film's rating to PG? I can't close without giving an honorable mention to two characters in the film: Loki and Jane Foster (Portman). With regards to Loki, I found him to be one of the most dynamic villains ever created in a Marvel film. In fact, he is so "well-rounded" that at times, I wasn't even sure if he was a villain. Yes, he was a trader, but you just couldn't help but feel sorry for him being the adopted and less-loved brother of Oden's real son; granted his character development was much greater than anyone else in the film. Jane Foster was also significant to the film's effectiveness in the captivating enchantment she feels for Thor. It is because of her (Portman)'s performance that Thor works so well and gives off such an amiable aura. All in all, "Thor" is Marvel's most intriguing comic book-to-movie creation yet to grace itself on the screen yet, however, it is also the most difficult to make. Because of the extreme degree of difficulty in explaining an entire mythology rather than one Gotham City, the film carries many plot holes, and for the exception of Loki, has a pretty basic character development. The CGI effects delineate an entricate world and make for a highly entertaining and "feel-good" action comic creation. Expand
MeritCobaSep 3, 2015
That Thor was directed by Kenneth Branagh came as a surprise to me, as I know Branagh as a director of Shakespeare movies, such as Henry V. It seemed like a different cup of tea altogether, but then again: why not?
Thor is watchable because
Thor is watchable because the main actor Chris Hemsworth instills an almost juvenile charm into the character that works well for the occasion. For Thor is a bit immature, as we soon find out. People probably have heard about Thor in one fashion or another, so it doesn't require much of a leap of faith to see the impulsive Norse god of thunder in this tall, muscled, blue-eyed, blond man.

It is Hemsworth therefore who carries most of the movie, with Tom Hiddleston(aka Loki: the trickster god) being a good second. The rest of the crew is mostly a side show, although Hopkins, being the great actor he is, usually tends to grab the attention anyway. And in a strange way, so does Idris Elba, who plays Heimdall, the guardian of the bridge that connects Asgard to the rest of the universe(on a side note: is it me, or has that-what-is-at-stake progressed from the earth to the whole universe of late?).

There is also Natalie Portman, who is an gifted actress, but in this male oriented and dominated movie she is just the female diversion that is meant to adorn Thor. It is not a role that that suits her well. She is too diminutive and too dark, which makes her disappear next to the tall Hemsworth and the role she plays doesn't offer her much to work with. Perhaps it would have been better if Kat Dennings, Portman's sidekick friend, had been the female lead, provided she had been snarky enough.

The script is pretty non-existent and filled with strange twists that make no sense. For instance, Thor is about to be appointed king by his father Odin, but then he shows his utter adolescence nature by invading the land of the frost-giants on a whim to find out who betrayed 'them' by using the astounding blunt force infiltration tactic that might have been inspired by US foreign policy. It is the kind of strategm in which you kill everyone first and then start to ask questions. But then: we never wanted to hear the answer anyway(because we already know it). But aside from this: did Thor just suddenly swap from mature to immature at the moment his father was about to make him king? Or was Odin willing to appoint this buffoon as ruler of Asgard despite him knowing this? But then why throw him out when he does what his nature demanded him to do? It makes no sense at all.

Somewhat later Odin interrupts the frost-giant massacre in time to safe his son and co. 'Just forget it ever happened', Odin proposes in a conciliatory manner to the frost-giant king. Forgetting that about 50+ frost-giants were killed by Thor and company for no reason at all and with only the loss of one wounded Asgardian. One wonders why them frost-giants are so upset as to decline this very reasonable peace offer.

The movie goes from one scene to next in a marvelous spirited fashion and logic, when it gets in the way, is just set aside. It is almost as if the script is made up on the spur of the moment by throwing a pair of dice. Perhaps this is tongue-in-cheek reference to the roleplay community?
The immature Thor matures in the nick of time to get back his powers so he can stop the evil that his way comes and the one that is about to overwhelm Asgard to boot. One hour later and it would have been in vain.
And when you are stuck in another realm there are always a bunch of loyal friends who open the inter-dimensional portal to pay you a visit, bring you up to speed with the latest news from home and allow you to return as well. All with odds than put sheer stupendous luck to shame and must have caused the laws of logic and chance to buckle under the strain of nonsense..

Perhaps Branagh tried to capture the mood that makes Marvel comics so incomprehensible. It all happens outside the boundaries of reason and humanity, but hey, it looks way cool! Any complexity gets resolved by brute force or, actually; temporarily fixed but never resolved, because there might be a sequel! Whether it is the Joker or Loki: villains never die! Or as the law of sequels has it: thy shalt allow for a sequel.

Thor is a fast, action packed superficial movie that therefore rightly belongs in the stable of the Marvel universe, which is totally at odds with the depth of the norse Sagas or, as a matter of fact of the works of, say, Wagner.
The movie incidentally made a profit two times over.
Ain't that marvelous?
superbatOct 2, 2016
Thor, overall, was a pretty enjoyable movie, but it's 3D rendering and heavy-CGI effects lower its score to a 7. The acting was great (from Hemsworth and Hiddleston in particular) and was lots of the fun, but they used too much CGI in theThor, overall, was a pretty enjoyable movie, but it's 3D rendering and heavy-CGI effects lower its score to a 7. The acting was great (from Hemsworth and Hiddleston in particular) and was lots of the fun, but they used too much CGI in the making of it, and at times I was distracted Expand
kingshahidJul 26, 2011
This movie was very entertaining. It had its moments. Although not a comedy movie we will never forget the moment when the interrogation was happening as we still laugh at that joke (albeit it may not have been intended as a joke). I didn'tThis movie was very entertaining. It had its moments. Although not a comedy movie we will never forget the moment when the interrogation was happening as we still laugh at that joke (albeit it may not have been intended as a joke). I didn't see the real point of it being in 3D as it was not nearly as entertaining as other movies in terms of being 3D. Nonetheless this story and the action in it was great. Again, it could have been better though. Expand
Mad_Hatter91May 9, 2013
This film has exceeded my expectations. It 's been really nice and was able to entertain me without annoying me. I especially loved the character of Loki. Great performance by Tom Hiddleston.
joao1198pedroOct 16, 2013
not the best superhero movie ever made but it is a good movie despite showing a different side of the hero is a good movie but it can be forgotten in a little time.
cag11Nov 29, 2013
I can understand if someone didn't like this movie. It has a shallow plot that doesn't have much action in it. I did like it because I'm more focused on whether or not the plot was executed good. It did good for a part one.
Critic2012May 5, 2012
THOR is not perfect, by far. The story is somewhat lacking, and the acting is mediocre. But it makes up for all of that with humor and lots of fun action that is so typical of marvel films.
Cinemassacre94Mar 20, 2016
Kenneth Branagh invests this comicbook epic with a weighty yet never overbearing Shakespearean dimension.

Neither the star pupil nor the dunce of the Marvel superhero-to-screen class, “Thor” delivers the goods so long as butt is being kicked and family conflict is playing out in celestial dimensions, but is less thrilling during the Norse warrior god’s rather brief banishment on Earth. With Aussie hunk Chris Hemsworth impressive in the lead and helmer Kenneth Branagh investing the dramatic passages with a weighty yet never overbearing Shakespearean dimension, pic looks sure to reap big B.O. on the strength of its ready-made audience, but faces a tougher time attracting viewers for whom this type of fare is the exception rather than the rule.

Although the comicbook has been in print since 1962, Thor hasn’t scored much more than supporting roles and guest spots in various toons and telepics since. With this in mind, scripters Ashley Edward Miller, Zack Stentz and Don Payne have wisely penned an unhurried but engrossing half-hour setup of the lesser-known Marvel character and the three worlds he inhabits.

Opening snapshot in New Mexico finds astrophysicist Jane Foster (Natalie Portman), her gal-pal/assistant Darcy Lewis (Kat Dennings) and Jane’s mentor, Dr. Erik Sevig (Stellan Skarsgard) investigating a twister-like atmospheric disturbance. In their haste to discover what’s come down in the storm, their RV knocks down Thor (Hemsworth), a buff and bearded stranger.

Bulk of the action in the first couple of reels sets up Thor’s fall from grace in his homeland, Asgard, a heavenly realm ruled by his supremely wise but aging father, Odin (Anthony Hopkins). Just moments away from peacefully ascending the throne ahead of brother Loki (Tom Hiddleston), Thor leaps into an eye-popping interdimensional portal and leads an unauthorized attack on Jotunheim, home to their enemies, the Frost Giants, led by reptile-like Laufey (Colm Feore). Odin’s punishment: Thor is dispatched to Midgard (Earth) with his magical hammer, Mjolnir, but cannot use the mighty instrument until he overcomes the classic mythological shortcomings of arrogance and impetuosity.

Speckled with amusing fish-out-of-water humor as Thor marches around a dusty New Mexico town like he’s still in Asgard, the story promises much from the attentions of government agent Coulson (Clark Gregg) and Thor’s brewing confrontation with the Destroyer, a hulking creation that resembles a high-tech suit of armor and shoots fire from its eyes. He’s joined in this endeavor by Asgard warrior pals Sif (Jaimie Alexander), Volstagg (Ray Stevenson), Fandral (Josh Dallas), and Hogun (Tadanobu Asano).

Yet Thor’s smackdown with the Destroyer is all too brief and anticlimactic when stacked up against the spectacularly rendered rumbles in other dimensions. Though Thor’s romance with Jane is passable, thanks largely to Portman’s sterling work in a thinly written role, the couple isn’t given enough alone time or meaningful dialogue to raise the relationship above the ordinary.

It’s a different matter in the heavens. Hopkins rises to the occasion with a restrained yet powerful portrayal of a father forced by conscience to deal the bitterest of judgments upon his chosen heir, and Hiddleston gives a finely tuned perf as the sibling whose loyalty or otherwise to Thor remains a tantalizing question until deep into proceedings. Almost unrecognizable as the star of Aussie soap “Home and Away” in the mid-2000s, Hemsworth holds his own in distinguished company and will serve the series well in any sequels and “The Avengers,” Marvel’s all-star superhero bash skedded for 2012 release. Given only a handful of lines, Rene Russo is under-used as Odin’s wife, Frigga.

As the living actor and director most closely associated with Shakespeare, Branagh may seem a surprise choice for such material. A childhood reader of the comics, he brings a fan’s enthusiasm and his skill as an actor’s director to the table here. Fitting Hemsworth out with a classical but never pompous British accent and shooting emotionally charged sequences with elegant simplicity, Branagh succeeds in rendering his mythological characters deeply human.

While no fatal missteps are taken along Thor’s path to redemption, pic has a slightly choppy feel, as if it’s trying to squeeze an origin tale and at least part of its sequel into a single entity. Most of the material motors along just fine, though the editing occasionally seems a bit too hurried in moving from one dimension to the next. An extra reel of Earth-bound story might not have gone astray.

Effects work is on the money, with the suspended, glowing Bitfrost gateway from Asgard to other worlds an eye-catching highlight. All other technical credits are thoroughly pro.
ammeooJan 20, 2017
This movie was an utter disappointment for me. The plots were not properly executed, there were many loopholes and the story was boring to be honest. The problem with these commercial films is that their whole purpose is to make money out ofThis movie was an utter disappointment for me. The plots were not properly executed, there were many loopholes and the story was boring to be honest. The problem with these commercial films is that their whole purpose is to make money out of amateur movie goers rather than make something that should critically make sense. Expand
moviegrabbagJun 12, 2011
The movie was a lot of fun with a neat story. Chris Hemmsworth did a very good job and Natalie Portman was amazing as usual. This movie is well worth the watch if you are a big comic book movie fan and worth the watch if you just want to haveThe movie was a lot of fun with a neat story. Chris Hemmsworth did a very good job and Natalie Portman was amazing as usual. This movie is well worth the watch if you are a big comic book movie fan and worth the watch if you just want to have a good afternoon movie. Expand
dante_finnNov 20, 2012
The action scenes were great but the movie was to mythological
pinattarDec 29, 2011
i hated this movie. i just really didnt like it, i was annoyed when i watched it. the visuals were great, but that was the only good thing about the movie. the acting was bad, the story was messy, the "love story" (if you can ever call iti hated this movie. i just really didnt like it, i was annoyed when i watched it. the visuals were great, but that was the only good thing about the movie. the acting was bad, the story was messy, the "love story" (if you can ever call it that) was completely unbelievable and was were there so many tilted shots (it seemed like the movie had more tilted shots than normal horizontal shots.why??). it felt that the movie should have been split into two separate film, but that would have never worked. the only interesting thing was the lokki plot (that and the visuals are the only reason it has 3 ). i wouldnt recommend it to anyone. awful film. Expand
KarthXLRMay 6, 2011
About as dumb as these type of movies get. Nothing in Thor is remotely memorable, jaw-dropping, or exciting. But at the same time, it's not mind-numbingly boring either. It has the bare minimum amount of effort put into the story, and CGIAbout as dumb as these type of movies get. Nothing in Thor is remotely memorable, jaw-dropping, or exciting. But at the same time, it's not mind-numbingly boring either. It has the bare minimum amount of effort put into the story, and CGI stuffed into all the parts where the story drags. Speaking of dragging, why is there a romance in this? Hell, why are there human characters in this? They're written flatter than cardboard. Calling their performances wooden is giving them too much credit. What else is wrong with it? The action scenes are shot clumsily, making it way to hard to see what's going on, the special effects seemt unfinished, many scenes were blurry and hard to see (may have been our print of film or projector, so I'll give that a pass). In the end, Thor is just and thunder and no lighting. If you're looking for the next Iron Man, look elsewhere. Expand
bram29May 5, 2012
i really liked how they portrayed asgard. and although i thought the movie was a bit too lighthearted, i must admit that it was always fun.
JarodyFeb 11, 2016
Thor, is the first movie to introduce the mighty thor into the Mcu. Onto the good points, thor has a very interesting plotline oblivious to many movie viewers. In addition it has fun side characters, like Dr Selvig. The action is pretty greatThor, is the first movie to introduce the mighty thor into the Mcu. Onto the good points, thor has a very interesting plotline oblivious to many movie viewers. In addition it has fun side characters, like Dr Selvig. The action is pretty great too and the villain Loki is Clearly the best villain in the Mcu. The humour is pretty spot on too. While there are many good points, there are also a few bad ones. You start to dislike thor at the start of the movie and continuing disliking him until the end. I also think that there should have been more of Thor's home world Asgard. And while all the supporting cast are enjoyable there is one that is extremely annoying. Altogether Thor is another decent Mcu stand-alone movie and I feel is very underrated by fans. Expand
RodrigoBGCOct 11, 2011
If you ever have a childhood and you watched Hercules of Disney´s you'll find that this movie is the same, is just too infantile, the humor is too stupid and the action is too short and for some moments you justIf you ever have a childhood and you watched Hercules of Disney´s you'll find that this movie is the same, is just too infantile, the humor is too stupid and the action is too short and for some moments you just don´t know what is happening or why are they doing Expand
ImUnavailableFeb 10, 2012
Thor is definitely one of the weaker movies based on Marvel superheroes. The plot is decent but the problem is that it isn't told very well, creating a situation where dramatic moments often fall flat. The intense special effects used toThor is definitely one of the weaker movies based on Marvel superheroes. The plot is decent but the problem is that it isn't told very well, creating a situation where dramatic moments often fall flat. The intense special effects used to create Asgard can sometimes be overwhelming although other effects are quite good. Some characters are likeable but not lovable due to the fact that they are mostly one-dimensional. We don't even get a good insight into Thor himself and yet we are encouraged to root for him. Any character development that does happen appears to happen in stages instead of being a natural progression. The central romance feels forced although both actors try hard to make it work. The movie is fun, however, if you adjust your expectations. Certain fight scenes are exciting and the writing can sometimes be funny. Thor is not essential viewing and will not change your life but you might enjoy yourself. Expand
ElectroNickMay 1, 2016
Thor hd always been one of the more boring characters in the Marvel universe since there wasn't really more to him outside of being a Norse God. This film though really fixed that as Thor has a similar character arc to Tony Stark but thereThor hd always been one of the more boring characters in the Marvel universe since there wasn't really more to him outside of being a Norse God. This film though really fixed that as Thor has a similar character arc to Tony Stark but there are a few differences. Thor starts as a prideful prince who lets the power get to his head but later learns the value of mortal life. He goes to Earth after being cast out from Asgard which gives way to interesting character interactions. Chris Hemsworth is a perfect choice to play the God of Thunder and he has great chemistry with Natalie Portman as Jane Foster. There is also a nice comrade re with the Warriors three much like their comic book counter parts. Anthony Hopkins carries a strong presence as Odin which is standard for such a powerhouse actor. The one actor who really steals the show is Tom Hiddleton as Loki. He is a devious character hence why he is called the God of Mischief but he is sympathetic as well in this incarnation. He is so good as the god of mischief that he even fooled me on more than one occasion which makes him a great villain since he is manipulative and unpredictable. Kenneth Branagh directs this film with his trademark visual flare making this film not only fun to watch but also beautiful to behold. This film made me a new Thor fan and I can't wait to see what awaits him in the future. Expand
KingmushMay 10, 2011

In all honesty I was kind of reluctant going into Thor. I'm not a huge fan of all the superhero movies coming out but I do like the idea of the combined Avengers one that Marvel seems to be working towards and after watching both Iron Mans...well, guess I should give the whole universe a shot. Although Natalie Portman helped my decision as well.

So while I didn't go in with the openest of minds, I will say I did enjoy it. The action scenes were amazing as I knew they would be, combine that with the spectacular visuals of the other realms and this movie was very visually appealing (and this is without Portman mind you) so that alone was great. Not a movie you'd fall asleep in. I also really liked, again, the subtle notions towards the Avengers grand plot. Whether it was referring back to some scenes from Iron Man or even slight comments about the Hulk and others, very nice touch I always appreciate in movies. I guess my only down points to the movie would be the slowness of progression at some points. Mainly at the beginning but usually all the scenes when they were in the other world. It looked amazing..but not much going on there which kind of bored me. Another issue was some of the comedic relief...just didn't seem to bode well in some circumstances.

Overall a great continuation of the Avengers series and great Superhero movie as well.
PurpleUrpNov 15, 2011
Thor's showing was mediocre at best. CGI was not up to date and action scenes contained nothing spectacular. It felt like the movie's focus was more on the character relationships rather than the action; which was what I was looking forward to.
ZalJan 11, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm not big on superhero movies and I have not seen that many. But I am proud to say that I have seen Thor and liked it. I didn't expect to. I haven't read the comics but I'm fully aware of what Thor in the comic book series looks like and I know that the books are very campy and goofy.
There are several reasons why I love this movie. First of all, the acting is good, which is not something I expected from this film. Chris Hemsworth, aside from being incredibly handsome, plays the role of Thor very well. He's able to show a playful yet sympathetic side to Thor. My favorite bit of him acting is when he is taken into custody by SHIELD and Loki comes to visit him and tells him about the "death" of Odin. Hemsworth acting is entirely genuine in this scene. All of the other actors are good. There are two that I didn't like quite as much. First, Anthony Hopkins as Odin. This is more of a casting issue than an acting issue because I like Hopkins but I think he looks silly as Odin. Then there is the guy who played Loki (whose name I don't remember and I'm too lazy to look it up). He was good for the most part, but there were times when he REALLY went over the top. Also, what is up with that stupid hat?
All of the characters are fun and interesting. Thor is surprisingly complex and Loki is a great character, too. I love all of Thor's friends from Asgard. Kat Denning's character Darcy is very funny.
Some people I know complain that there wasn't as much action as there should have been. Personally, I didn't mind that there wasn't much action. There was more time spend on developing Thor and the other characters and that made up for it.
I did think it was sort of strange how the climax involved Thor trying to save the frost giants. It didn't make much sense and it was very short. It was disappointing.
Overall it's pretty good and I'm looking forward to the sequel and Avengers movie.
By the way, Idris Elba is in the movie. AWESOME!
lahaineJul 1, 2011
This is anything but a bad movie...but at the some time it wasn't that fantastic iether. While it had fun quirks (particularly between thor and the main human cast), decent action sequences and a surprisingly compelling villain (loki), theThis is anything but a bad movie...but at the some time it wasn't that fantastic iether. While it had fun quirks (particularly between thor and the main human cast), decent action sequences and a surprisingly compelling villain (loki), the movie in its entirety didn't quite measure up. The story was fairly good but not great, the cgi-driven art direction was a bit cheesy, and the plot that centred around gods wasn't as grand and epic as it could have been. Overall a fun summer flick that I didn't regret seeing Expand
JollyG87Dec 13, 2011
In terms of the style of the whole thing, this adaptation of "Thor" could not have been better. The dialogue has a bit of that Shakespearean bravado to it, but it's not overly done. The costume translations are the best of any superhero movieIn terms of the style of the whole thing, this adaptation of "Thor" could not have been better. The dialogue has a bit of that Shakespearean bravado to it, but it's not overly done. The costume translations are the best of any superhero movie to date, and the creation of Asgard is just how I pictured it when I read the comic books. Branagh handles the action scenes like a seasoned action director, cleverly mixing CGI animation with close-up shots of the real people. Even the cast is perfect. Chris Hemsworth plays Thor, the trickiest hero in the Marvel universe, and he does so wonderfully. He encapsulates Thor's brash arrogance and sympathetic nature with ease. I also loved Tom Hiddleston as "Loki". He's able to bring what few actors can to a villain; humanity and sympathy. You come to understand why Loki commits the actions that he does. You don't necessarily agree with them, but he's able to become a character who commits actions for a purpose rather than for mere evil intentions. So why isn't Thor a "great" movie? Well, this adaptation suffers from a lot of the same elements of other book adaptations. It feels rushed. There's so much story and so many characters that even at a two hour running time, Branagh is unable to explore it all sufficiently. It would have been better if we saw more of Asgard in the beginning, and also more character interaction between Thor and Jane Foster (Natalie Portman). Also, very few of the characters are developed sufficiently (Loki and Odin were the only characters I felt were explored fully). Now this is kind of a good and a bad thing. It's bad in the sense that you don't feel like you got the complete movie experience when it's all said and done, but at the same time, this "Thor" acts like the first "X-Men" film where it more or less introduces all of the characters leaving room for more character exploration in the sequels ahead. It's kind of like the series premiere of a TV show where the movie "Thor" is there to hook you in to the concept and leave you wanting more. Overall, "Thor" is an immensely good time at the movies. It could have been something really great, but it settles by delivering an engaging story with fun characters and terrific action scenes. Expand
JaySupertrampFeb 6, 2012
First of all: watch the Credits completely! After that you will see something that changes everything! Thor is funny and loaded with heaps of action. The basic story is well known. So this movie doesn't extend your understandment of the storyFirst of all: watch the Credits completely! After that you will see something that changes everything! Thor is funny and loaded with heaps of action. The basic story is well known. So this movie doesn't extend your understandment of the story of Thor. Some special effects look like a few years behind newest standards but it"s absolutely worth to see it. Good mixture of fun and action, combined with fantasy elements created a better movie the some other superhero movies! Lovestory is only sideeffect what makes the movie even better... Expand
SpiderPlayerMay 16, 2015
A good movie with some funny scenes, action scenes found through weak, has a history until interesting, but the film itself has nothing very special, but what I hated most in the film was the appearance of Hawkeye, it just appeared to showA good movie with some funny scenes, action scenes found through weak, has a history until interesting, but the film itself has nothing very special, but what I hated most in the film was the appearance of Hawkeye, it just appeared to show the public that it exists, but he did nothing, they could have used a lot more character. Expand
lususgreeneMay 6, 2011
They managed to make a comic movie plot driven rather than action driven. Not that the action wasn't there, it was. This movie proved that not EVERY comic movie has to end with a half hour long "Transformers" like battle in the middle of aThey managed to make a comic movie plot driven rather than action driven. Not that the action wasn't there, it was. This movie proved that not EVERY comic movie has to end with a half hour long "Transformers" like battle in the middle of a major city. How cliche that is becoming! Kudos to all involved in Thor for showing that comics and comic movies can be real art too.

Now I am not saying that this movie is even close to being on par with any of the great movie classics, but it is good art, much better and deeper than the majority of comic movies. The people who hate this movie will be the same people who loved transformers and that certainly is not me.
Edward9630Aug 1, 2011
Thor is a very good film. It has a great story, the characters are told well and the action scenes are very cool. My only problem with this film is that the humour in this film isnt really funny at all. I wouldnt say this is better thenThor is a very good film. It has a great story, the characters are told well and the action scenes are very cool. My only problem with this film is that the humour in this film isnt really funny at all. I wouldnt say this is better then Captain America: The First Avenger but its definitely better then Green Lantern. I would give this film a high matinee! Expand
dougaussieNov 5, 2013
Great eye candy. Lots of explosiony dusty dark stuff. bit of a story line. very little yukky romance, the side kick to thors girlfriend was good light relief humor. Lots of destruction, I like the destruction bits. You just like loki more andGreat eye candy. Lots of explosiony dusty dark stuff. bit of a story line. very little yukky romance, the side kick to thors girlfriend was good light relief humor. Lots of destruction, I like the destruction bits. You just like loki more and more. Great spaceship design. Now the bad: if the dark stuff is imprisoned in the core of some planet how can thors girlfriend accidently get to it, that's just stretching it too far, poor writing. And give me a break, a scientist on earth has some techno sticks that will stop the alignment of planets. Theres some good ideas and effects let down by logic gaps. Expand
cumoviesJul 26, 2014
this movie to me was very good acting special effects action story was all good but not great this movie is better than a 7 but not good enough to be an 8.
my ratting 7.7/10 action 8/10 story 7.5/10 acting 8/10 comedy 7/10
my ratting 7.7/10 action 8/10 story 7.5/10 acting 8/10 comedy 7/10 characters/character development 8/10
mau1133May 6, 2011
very nice , it had some really good stuff and i never relized there were some many thing related to thor , there were so many charaters and so many things goint on that it was very entertainging. the plot was hard to follw maybe becuase ivery nice , it had some really good stuff and i never relized there were some many thing related to thor , there were so many charaters and so many things goint on that it was very entertainging. the plot was hard to follw maybe becuase i went to see it at 10 pm, but thats llife Expand
nauticoMay 11, 2011
I saw this flick in a brand new IMAX 3D theatre with 28,000 watts of audio and was more impressed by the sheer power of the sound track than what was transpiring on screen.