6.9

1. Dec 22, 2014
    Thor(2011) is funny and enjoyable for all ages.Thor is portrayed well by Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston did a great job portraying his role "Loki" but the other characters are just flat and boring.
  2. Nov 13, 2014
    Yes, its essential purpose is to introduce Thor so people will know him in the Avengers, but it is a decent movie. It has the most plot of the Phase 1 Marvel films and surprisingly, the least amount of plot-holes. Loki is amazing in the sense that he is the least generic villain of the MCU.
  3. Oct 26, 2014
    Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) Analysis: Thor (2011)

Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) Analysis: Thor (2011)

Okay, I’m going to be quite honest right here and say that… I thought this movie was going to suck. I really did. Not that I have a problem with the cast, I really don’t have. The problem is that Thor is my least favorite character and seeing a character walking around strange planets with magic and science related is something that I wouldn’t find enthusiastic or even entertaining. I’m more related to technology, maybe that’s why I think Iron Man is a way better character despite his latest movie (Iron Man 2, the one I saw lately) was semi-disappointing. However, after seeing “Thor”, I can at least say that I found myself satisfied. This movie is not better than “Captain America: The First Avenger” but comes close with wit, humor and human drama. I gave this movie an 8 when I saw it for the first time, but now I realize that it’s not worthy of it. Mainly because there’s some issues with the film itself that really made me question myself if I was watching a good movie or a boring one. There’s not much to say about this, but I’ll try to write a full detailed, well-reasoned review on this one.

The reckless Thor (Chris Hemsworth) son of Odin (Anthony Hopkins), challenges his brother's claim to the throne of Asgard. To teach him humility, Odin casts the young warrior down to Earth to live among humans. Robbed of his powers, Thor falls in love with a scientist Jane Foster (Natalie Portman). While Thor's brother; Loki usurps the throne of Asgard for evil gain and plans revenge, Thor's love for Jane and his lessons of humility turn him into the true hero and legendary and immortal warrior-defender of the peoples of the Earth saving them from destruction.

As you can see in the plot summary above, there’s really nothing much to say. The film’s narrative flows nicely throughout the movie (though sometimes is a little bit rushed). There’s a lot of lines in the movie that are, indeed, well-written. The dialogue between Asgardians is almighty (Pun fully intended) and even the interaction between humans seem grounded and believable. Again, like I said in my Iron Man’s review, it’s very difficult to capture belief in movies, especially if we are talking about super-heroes and Gods in general so if there’s something that this movie needs credit for, it’s the dialogue. The plot also introduces some action scenes (we’ll get to that later) but they are really short, perhaps the movie just wants to focus on its characters and the universe’s atmosphere, while also adding some comedic relief. And that’s my favorite bit.

The comedy is pretty good. There’s one scene where Thor enters into an animal’s shop—where there’s only cats, birds and dogs—and asks for a horse. And the manager is like “Oh we just have dogs and cats…” and Thor responds: “Give me one of those large enough to ride”. Or when Thor is drinking and says: “I like this drink! Another! *Smashes glass*”. There’s some really funny moments in this movie that just made my day while watching it. And not only the script provides it, but the actors also know how to perform it to make it even funnier.

Now, the action. If you haven’t seen this movie yet, please don’t expect too much action, because this movie has only few scenes with fights. However, when they appear, they are very well done. Director Kenneth Branagh clearly understands that action is not only about punches and kicks in the face. He brings panache and sense of fun to the action sequences and it’s more than promised.

Chris Hemsworth makes for a compelling hero, as his character Thor is very easy to understand. He’s arrogant, stupid and often dangerous. That’s another thing I like about this movie. It’s the character development. You can easily understand these characters through their emotions, their actions, their dreams and fears. The cast also helps it.

Of course, with all of this, we also get to see some few easter eggs related to Marvel Cinematic Universe. Hawkeye makes a special cameo and Agent Coulson has some scenes, while Nick Fury only appears in a post-credits scene, revealing a strange object with unlimited power. It’s very exciting to see all these storylines get tangled into one story. That’s why I am doing this big marathon, right?

Final Score to Thor (2011): 7/10. I couldn’t give this a higher score. Its narrative has its questionable flaws. However, this is a super-hero movie done right. It’s got charisma, heart, comedy and some action. Everything that any moviegoer or comic book fans would ask for. Its sequel is not that great, but this film, is good. Next MCU movie to review: The Incredible Hulk (2008).
  4. Oct 19, 2014
    Thor spans the Marvel Universe from present day Earth to the realm of Asgard. At the center of the story is the mighty Thor, a powerful but arrogant warrior whose reckless actions reignite an ancient war. Thor is cast down to Earth by his father Odin and is forced to live among humans. A beautiful, young scientist, Jane Foster, has a profound effect on Thor, as she ultimately becomes hisThor spans the Marvel Universe from present day Earth to the realm of Asgard. At the center of the story is the mighty Thor, a powerful but arrogant warrior whose reckless actions reignite an ancient war. Thor is cast down to Earth by his father Odin and is forced to live among humans. A beautiful, young scientist, Jane Foster, has a profound effect on Thor, as she ultimately becomes his first love. It's while here on Earth that Thor learns what it takes to be a true hero when the most dangerous villain of his world sends the darkest forces of Asgard to invade Earth. Expand
  5. Aug 24, 2014
    All in all, I very much enjoyed this film.

Chris Hemsworth was both annoying and fabulous as Thor; he played the character very nicely, creating a stubborn, hot-tempered, prideful god who is eventually banished from his home for those very qualities. All in all, the story was splintered between events taking place in Asgard and on Earth. Asgard, sadly, wasn't nearly as
    All in all, I very much enjoyed this film.

Asgard, sadly, wasn't nearly as interesting, focusing more on plotting and revelations of betrayal. Thor's Asgard companions were left a bit hollow, but his new friends on Earth (Jane Foster, played by Natalie Portman, mysterious Stellan Skarsgård as Erik Selvig and Kat Dennings as the ever optimistic Darcy Lewis) were a little better, in the end they managing to create a much-expected romance between Jane and Thor.

Regardless of the sad fact that the characters didn't have enough life in them, the story progressed nicely with fabulous action.

Definitely looking forward to any continuations.
  6. Aug 15, 2014
    Ehh. It's not the worst movie to come from Marvel, but it's far from the finest. It packs so many jokes into the two hour running time I might have mistaken it for a cheesy romance comedy, if it weren't for the dude in a red cape and the over the top battle scenes. My advice: stay away from Thor, and watch "Captain America" instead. It's a surprisingly boring movie.
  7. Aug 9, 2014
    Thor is a great movie and the fact that that it sets up something bigger is a bonus to what is a awesome film about the bratty future king of Asgard, Hemsworth give a good performance as Thor and Portman is very good as Jane Foster
  8. Jul 30, 2014
    The best Marvel film so far, that show the most adventurous and stunning visuals that never have been identified before.

The high amount of science fiction and action truly keeps me entertained, not to mention the amazing CGI and the stunning amount of details, which together form a wonderful and entertaining film. The romance (no spoilers) between the characters in Thor truly gives the movie a high rating, because it’s so wonderful. The story in Thor is one other thing that’s fascinating, and there are many unique things that are cool to see in this amazing film, even thought there are some slow scenes where nothing particularly happened.

Thor is an entertaining film, that also is funny and enjoyable, and combined with a stunning composing from Patrick Doyle, is this film amazing to watch.

It’s not a flawless film, but it’s a very well made film by Marvel.

Thor gets a 8.3/10
  9. Jul 29, 2014
    "Thor" is very unsatisfying, even for a Marvel movie. The film centers on visual effects and action, without having much to tell. Both screenwriting and performances are inadequate. Hemsworth is well cast as Thor, that is for certain. There are not many things to praise, even though it will please some Marvel fans. Perhaps the least powerful film of the series so far.
  10. Jul 28, 2014
    Avengers filmine geçiş için karakterleri tanıtmayı amaçlayan bu filmler biraz aceleye getirilse de oyuncu kadrosu çok iyi ve uygun seçilmiş olduğu için yine de seyre değer. Konu klasik biraz tempo da zaman zaman düşüyor. Asıl Thor ve Loki yi 2.filmden itibaren görebileceğiz kanısındayım.
  11. Jul 26, 2014
    this movie to me was very good acting special effects action story was all good but not great this movie is better than a 7 but not good enough to be an 8.
    my ratting 7.7/10 action 8/10 story 7.5/10 acting 8/10 comedy 7/10 characters/character development 8/10
  12. Jul 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Metacritic really should have a way to delete reviews​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​. Expand
  13. Apr 17, 2014
    Bolstered by an enthusiastic cast and a broad sense of humor, Thor is one Marvel film that delivers on many levels and is delivered with an honest, fun spirit that will spark the sense of adventure.
  14. Mar 8, 2014
    This film is a good setup, leading to "The Avengers". It has emotion, good visuals and a great villain. It's not as good as "Iron Man" or "The Avengers", but you're a fan of either one of those films, you can't miss out "Thor".
  15. Dec 21, 2013
    Thor is an enjoyable superhero movie. It doesn't really try anything new, but it uses the standard ingredients well enough. It has a likeable hero, decent visual effects, and a very good finale. Sometimes it can even make you sad. In places the script and direction do need some work though. It's no Dark Knight ,but what else is? Well to be honest Iron Man, and the first twoThor is an enjoyable superhero movie. It doesn't really try anything new, but it uses the standard ingredients well enough. It has a likeable hero, decent visual effects, and a very good finale. Sometimes it can even make you sad. In places the script and direction do need some work though. It's no Dark Knight ,but what else is? Well to be honest Iron Man, and the first two Spider-Man films were also better than Thor. So it's not exactly one of its genre's best. It's just above average entertainment. I can live with that. Expand
  16. Dec 19, 2013
    While it's not the best super hero ever made, it still showcases some good old super hero starts! While some say the sequel is way better than the this first installment, I disagree. "Thor" brings in an interesting plot with good characters and some good storytelling. It never felt too goofy, but never brought anything more than it could have. Overall, it's still a pretty good marvelWhile it's not the best super hero ever made, it still showcases some good old super hero starts! While some say the sequel is way better than the this first installment, I disagree. "Thor" brings in an interesting plot with good characters and some good storytelling. It never felt too goofy, but never brought anything more than it could have. Overall, it's still a pretty good marvel movie. I give it a B. Expand
  17. Nov 29, 2013
    I can understand if someone didn't like this movie. It has a shallow plot that doesn't have much action in it. I did like it because I'm more focused on whether or not the plot was executed good. It did good for a part one.
  18. Nov 28, 2013
    This is a comic-book movie (duh) and doesn't have aspirations to be any more than that. In that regard, it's a really good comic-book movie. Yeah, some of the dialogue is wooden, and some characters are underdeveloped, but it stays true to its source material, and ends up being a pretty fun film.
  19. Nov 27, 2013
    Thor is fast paced, enjoyable and fun and only suffers when he is brought to Earth. There he is not nearly as interesting as he is on Asgard, but hey, those effects are expensive.
  20. Nov 17, 2013
    If you can set aside cynicism and stomach Thor's goofy premise, you'll be in for a sci-fi comic book treat. Those expecting it's dialogue and depth to match The Dark Knight will be left wanting (although Loki's Shakespearean tragedy play is awesome) But Thor isn't that type of movie. It's aspiration is to come as close to the comic books as possible (or possibly pay homage to 80sIf you can set aside cynicism and stomach Thor's goofy premise, you'll be in for a sci-fi comic book treat. Those expecting it's dialogue and depth to match The Dark Knight will be left wanting (although Loki's Shakespearean tragedy play is awesome) But Thor isn't that type of movie. It's aspiration is to come as close to the comic books as possible (or possibly pay homage to 80s 'classics' like Flash Gordon or Krull). The movie really succeeds at this, feeling like it has just leaped off the page and into celluloid. It's exactly as it should be: Colorful, light, action packed and very, very daft. Thor is an extremely fun romp from start to finish and one of the most refreshing super hero movies of recent memory. Expand
  21. Nov 5, 2013
    Great eye candy. Lots of explosiony dusty dark stuff. bit of a story line. very little yukky romance, the side kick to thors girlfriend was good light relief humor. Lots of destruction, I like the destruction bits. You just like loki more and more. Great spaceship design. Now the bad: if the dark stuff is imprisoned in the core of some planet how can thors girlfriend accidently get to it,Great eye candy. Lots of explosiony dusty dark stuff. bit of a story line. very little yukky romance, the side kick to thors girlfriend was good light relief humor. Lots of destruction, I like the destruction bits. You just like loki more and more. Great spaceship design. Now the bad: if the dark stuff is imprisoned in the core of some planet how can thors girlfriend accidently get to it, that's just stretching it too far, poor writing. And give me a break, a scientist on earth has some techno sticks that will stop the alignment of planets. Theres some good ideas and effects let down by logic gaps. Expand
  22. Nov 3, 2013
    While this movie is really good and a great introduction to the character and the world of Asgard, there were a few things that could've been better. Their needed to be more characters because even though the ones we got were great (Loki...need i say more?) i wanted to spend more time with Heimdall or the Warrior's Three. The main romance was fine as was Thor's character arc, but againWhile this movie is really good and a great introduction to the character and the world of Asgard, there were a few things that could've been better. Their needed to be more characters because even though the ones we got were great (Loki...need i say more?) i wanted to spend more time with Heimdall or the Warrior's Three. The main romance was fine as was Thor's character arc, but again more time needed to be spent developing them. The action sequences are great but their needed to be more of them or at least have them be a little bit longer. But the biggest problem is that they get one of the greatest character actors out there, Colm Feore to play the villain and they don't do anything with him. But still this was a really great movie with an awesome cast, great action and impressive effects. Let's just hope that The Dark World fixes these problems. Expand
  23. Oct 24, 2013
    Surprisingly I really enjoyed Thor. It is dense, two hours dense; these aren’t the greatest characters in the world; and the dutch angle can get annoying. However, I’m willing to overlook these flaws because the main characters are for the most part likeable and well acted with Chris Hemsworth killing at as for, some nice character moments as opposed to a whole action fest, some enjoyableSurprisingly I really enjoyed Thor. It is dense, two hours dense; these aren’t the greatest characters in the world; and the dutch angle can get annoying. However, I’m willing to overlook these flaws because the main characters are for the most part likeable and well acted with Chris Hemsworth killing at as for, some nice character moments as opposed to a whole action fest, some enjoyable action, and some epic moments. If you’re a fan of superhero movies check this one out, which is easier than ever since it is on Netflix as I am writing this. Even if you don’t think it’s as good as Iron Man you’ll still be really entertained. If you aren’t a fan of the superhero movies than you can sit this one out since this one isn’t doing anything ground breaking that’ll change your mind. As for me, like I said before, I really enjoyed this film. It did a fantastic job establishing Thor and got me excited for The Avengers. Hopefully the sequel will surprise me as well although it has a lot to live up to if it wants to be as entertaining as this film. Expand
  24. Oct 16, 2013
    not the best superhero movie ever made but it is a good movie despite showing a different side of the hero is a good movie but it can be forgotten in a little time.
  25. Aug 10, 2013
    Not as good as I first remembered but still a highly entertaining film. There is plenty to like here as Thor is one of my favourite characters from 'The Avengers' line-up and I find I can enjoy this film as apposed to the likes of the 'Iron-Man' series. There isn't a great deal of Action for a film that you would expect to have a lot of it, but the final few scenes is where it picks up.Not as good as I first remembered but still a highly entertaining film. There is plenty to like here as Thor is one of my favourite characters from 'The Avengers' line-up and I find I can enjoy this film as apposed to the likes of the 'Iron-Man' series. There isn't a great deal of Action for a film that you would expect to have a lot of it, but the final few scenes is where it picks up. Overall a very good film and I am quite looking forward to the sequel later this year! Expand
  26. Jul 26, 2013
    The special effects of this movie are really cool which really helps this one out a lot. The acting is good, and the plot is interesting as well. Only negative is that it's pretty much your typical superhero movie, it does nothing different despite Thor being a God rather than a superhuman. If that was different, then it undoubtedly would've been more enjoyable, even though as is, it's aThe special effects of this movie are really cool which really helps this one out a lot. The acting is good, and the plot is interesting as well. Only negative is that it's pretty much your typical superhero movie, it does nothing different despite Thor being a God rather than a superhuman. If that was different, then it undoubtedly would've been more enjoyable, even though as is, it's a pretty good movie. Expand
  27. Jun 25, 2013
    Thor is the first Marvel comic movie of 2011, Later this year we will have "X-Men: First Class","Captain America" and D.C comic's "Green Lantern".

I must explain that i have never been a big reader of "THOR", i acknoledge the character and accepted him for what he is but never really wanted to pick up a book and start reading, I knew the Origins, the Character's and all in all the fairly humourous cheese to it all.

Well aside from "X-men", I had no ambition to see any of the superhero films this year, My father decided to see "THOR" and I tagged along.

The result was obviously cheesy, yet it was a very well executed movie, both visually and acted.

THOR's Homeland looked STUNNING, in this new age of Cinematic CGI Landscaping it's getting better and more believable, However this film did not need to be 3-D, I stress that because nowdays it's being thrown in any movie like it was back in the 80's, it going back to a gimmick rather than an Art form.

Chris Hemsworth was a surprisingly good THOR, i'll admit he lost he's luster a bit when he ends up learning respect and new ways of life in a style done to death, but nevertheless a good solid job.

However the best performance is of course Anthony Hopkins as his father Odin, The name Hopkins with every passing movie is becoming more of an Enigma and more of a housing to all these fantastic characters.

Jane Foster in the comics was human THOR's nurse, in this version she's an Astrologist played by Natalie Portman, after how brilliant her performance was in "Black Swan" i feel she's slowly becoming the next "Audrey Hepburn" of the movies.

If i wanted to recommend this movie to anyone, I'd ultimately say if you liked "Clash Of The Titans" then this movie is for you, less monsters but all that good mythology stuff any person would and probably SHOULD like.

Final Verdict: Tweaking the Origin's a little, But neverthelss a really cheesy fun movie, very glad i went to see it.
  28. May 31, 2013
    This movie was a lot better than I thought it was going to be. The plot was great and the characters were excellent, especially Loki. I can't wait for Thor: The Dark World.
  29. May 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Like the rest of the Avengers films, this movie was fantastic. I thought Chris Hemsworth did a great job in his portrayal of Thor and the rest of the cast was great. Natalie Portman is as breathtaking as ever and the rest of the supporting cast adds a combination of depth and humor. The action sequences were done great and I loved how well this film tied in with the others in the universe. The little nods towards Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk were subtle yet really well played. I thought Loki's motives were a little shaky, especially considering that it's the entire foundation of the movie. Nonetheless, the rest of the plot develops really nicely and the film gets a bit of everything from action to drama to romance to suspense. If you can suspend your disbelief enough to accept the premise of the film, I think this movie is very entertaining and enjoyable. Expand
  30. May 22, 2013
    Some superhero films just click in the sort of way where everyone is there for a reason, the plot flows nicely, the dialogue is the balanced blend of drama with real humour to mellow the mood, and characters that are larger than life and memorable. Thor has all of these, just not to the fullest.
    The God of Thunder is an over-confident, adrenaline-fuelled piece of meat played by the talented Chris Hemsworth, he is the would-be King to succeed his father, Odin (Anthony Hopkins), King of Asgard.
    When Thor recklessly battles with the Ice Giants of Jotunheim, a race that his father was holding a dodgy truth with, he is banished by his father and removed of all his power, including his hammer, Mjolnir.
    Crossing paths with the banished God on earth is Jane Foster (Natalie Portman), who accidentally runs him over while chasing an anomaly in the sky, Jane and her team, Eric Selvig (Stellan Skarsgård) and Darcy (Kat Dennings) are unaware at first that it was Thor and his hammer causing the strange occurrences in the sky.
    As Thor adjusts to life on earth, his brother Loki (Tom Hiddlestone), mischievous indeed, isn't everything he appears to be, and sets out a plan to be King. This is without doubt an explosive and action-packed first outing for Thor, the humour in the film is top notch and director Kenneth Branagh brings a true sense of realism to such an expansive and magical story.
    However, the film too often feels like a tie-in to keep us going until The Avengers, much like Iron Man 2, S.H.I.E.L.D. are just too heavily involved and often spoil the party for an otherwise enjoyable flick. The action is often just too quick, flashy and CGI-laden to enjoy, there is plenty of blur in the film, for all the wrong reasons. Clark Gregg returns as Agent Coulson, and while his scenes are good, and sometimes funny ("One of Starks?" "I don't know, he doesn't tell me anything"), they are just too expansive and plot oriented to the point where we start to lose interest in the Thor plot.
    That aside, Chris Hemsworth is perfectly cast, his charm, bulging biceps and over-zealous attitude contribute to much of the comedy, with a few one-liners that are simply priceless. The chemistry between himself and Portman is magical, while the more limited role of Selvig is enjoyable, its really the small part of Idris Elba playing Heimdall that is excellent.
    Not a the best of the Marvel Universe, but certainly an enjoyable first outing for Thor.

1. Reviewed by: Roger Ebert
    Jul 29, 2011
    The standards for comic book superhero movies have been established by "Superman," "The Dark Knight," "Spider-Man 2" and "Iron Man." In that company "Thor" is pitiful. Consider even the comparable villains (Lex Luthor, the Joker, Doc Ock and Obadiah Stane). Memories of all four come instantly to mind. Will you be thinking of Loki six minutes after this movie is over?
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    May 12, 2011
    The year's most divided movie to date; everything that happens in the higher realms, vaguely derived from Nordic legend, is posturing nonsense, whereas the scenes down here are managed, for the most part, with dexterity and wit. [16 May 2011, p. 133]
  3. Reviewed by: J.R. Jones
    May 11, 2011
    This is eminently missable, though the mosaic design of Asgard, Thor's mythical realm, is pretty cool.