6.9

1. Apr 17, 2014
    Bolstered by an enthusiastic cast and a broad sense of humor, Thor is one Marvel film that delivers on many levels and is delivered with an honest, fun spirit that will spark the sense of adventure.
  2. Mar 8, 2014
    This film is a good setup, leading to "The Avengers". It has emotion, good visuals and a great villain. It's not as good as "Iron Man" or "The Avengers", but you're a fan of either one of those films, you can't miss out "Thor".
  3. Dec 21, 2013
    Thor is an enjoyable superhero movie. It doesn't really try anything new, but it uses the standard ingredients well enough. It has a likeable hero, decent visual effects, and a very good finale. Sometimes it can even make you sad. In places the script and direction do need some work though. It's no Dark Knight ,but what else is? Well to be honest Iron Man, and the first two Spider-Man films were also better than Thor. So it's not exactly one of its genre's best. It's just above average entertainment. I can live with that. Expand
  4. Dec 19, 2013
    While it's not the best super hero ever made, it still showcases some good old super hero starts! While some say the sequel is way better than the this first installment, I disagree. "Thor" brings in an interesting plot with good characters and some good storytelling. It never felt too goofy, but never brought anything more than it could have. Overall, it's still a pretty good marvel movie. I give it a B. Expand
  5. Nov 29, 2013
    I can understand if someone didn't like this movie. It has a shallow plot that doesn't have much action in it. I did like it because I'm more focused on whether or not the plot was executed good. It did good for a part one.
  6. Nov 28, 2013
    This is a comic-book movie (duh) and doesn't have aspirations to be any more than that. In that regard, it's a really good comic-book movie. Yeah, some of the dialogue is wooden, and some characters are underdeveloped, but it stays true to its source material, and ends up being a pretty fun film.
  7. Nov 27, 2013
    Thor is fast paced, enjoyable and fun and only suffers when he is brought to Earth. There he is not nearly as interesting as he is on Asgard, but hey, those effects are expensive.
  8. Nov 17, 2013
    If you can set aside cynicism and stomach Thor's goofy premise, you'll be in for a sci-fi comic book treat. Those expecting it's dialogue and depth to match The Dark Knight will be left wanting (although Loki's Shakespearean tragedy play is awesome) But Thor isn't that type of movie. It's aspiration is to come as close to the comic books as possible (or possibly pay homage to 80s 'classics' like Flash Gordon or Krull). The movie really succeeds at this, feeling like it has just leaped off the page and into celluloid. It's exactly as it should be: Colorful, light, action packed and very, very daft. Thor is an extremely fun romp from start to finish and one of the most refreshing super hero movies of recent memory. Expand
  9. Nov 5, 2013
    Great eye candy. Lots of explosiony dusty dark stuff. bit of a story line. very little yukky romance, the side kick to thors girlfriend was good light relief humor. Lots of destruction, I like the destruction bits. You just like loki more and more. Great spaceship design. Now the bad: if the dark stuff is imprisoned in the core of some planet how can thors girlfriend accidently get to it, that's just stretching it too far, poor writing. And give me a break, a scientist on earth has some techno sticks that will stop the alignment of planets. Theres some good ideas and effects let down by logic gaps. Expand
  10. Nov 3, 2013
    While this movie is really good and a great introduction to the character and the world of Asgard, there were a few things that could've been better. Their needed to be more characters because even though the ones we got were great (Loki...need i say more?) i wanted to spend more time with Heimdall or the Warrior's Three. The main romance was fine as was Thor's character arc, but again more time needed to be spent developing them. The action sequences are great but their needed to be more of them or at least have them be a little bit longer. But the biggest problem is that they get one of the greatest character actors out there, Colm Feore to play the villain and they don't do anything with him. But still this was a really great movie with an awesome cast, great action and impressive effects. Let's just hope that The Dark World fixes these problems. Expand
  11. Oct 24, 2013
    Surprisingly I really enjoyed Thor. It is dense, two hours dense; these aren’t the greatest characters in the world; and the dutch angle can get annoying. However, I’m willing to overlook these flaws because the main characters are for the most part likeable and well acted with Chris Hemsworth killing at as for, some nice character moments as opposed to a whole action fest, some enjoyable action, and some epic moments. If you’re a fan of superhero movies check this one out, which is easier than ever since it is on Netflix as I am writing this. Even if you don’t think it’s as good as Iron Man you’ll still be really entertained. If you aren’t a fan of the superhero movies than you can sit this one out since this one isn’t doing anything ground breaking that’ll change your mind. As for me, like I said before, I really enjoyed this film. It did a fantastic job establishing Thor and got me excited for The Avengers. Hopefully the sequel will surprise me as well although it has a lot to live up to if it wants to be as entertaining as this film. Expand
  12. Oct 16, 2013
    not the best superhero movie ever made but it is a good movie despite showing a different side of the hero is a good movie but it can be forgotten in a little time.
  13. Aug 10, 2013
    Not as good as I first remembered but still a highly entertaining film. There is plenty to like here as Thor is one of my favourite characters from 'The Avengers' line-up and I find I can enjoy this film as apposed to the likes of the 'Iron-Man' series. There isn't a great deal of Action for a film that you would expect to have a lot of it, but the final few scenes is where it picks up. Overall a very good film and I am quite looking forward to the sequel later this year! Expand
  14. Jul 26, 2013
    The special effects of this movie are really cool which really helps this one out a lot. The acting is good, and the plot is interesting as well. Only negative is that it's pretty much your typical superhero movie, it does nothing different despite Thor being a God rather than a superhuman. If that was different, then it undoubtedly would've been more enjoyable, even though as is, it's a pretty good movie. Expand
  15. Jun 25, 2013
    Thor is the first Marvel comic movie of 2011, Later this year we will have "X-Men: First Class","Captain America" and D.C comic's "Green Lantern".

I must explain that i have never been a big reader of "THOR", i acknoledge the character and accepted him for what he is but never really wanted to pick up a book and start reading, I knew the Origins, the Character's and all in all the
    fairly humourous cheese to it all.

Well aside from "X-men", I had no ambition to see any of the superhero films this year, My father decided to see "THOR" and I tagged along.

The result was obviously cheesy, yet it was a very well executed movie, both visually and acted.

THOR's Homeland looked STUNNING, in this new age of Cinematic CGI Landscaping it's getting better and more believable, However this film did not need to be 3-D, I stress that because nowdays it's being thrown in any movie like it was back in the 80's, it going back to a gimmick rather than an Art form.

Chris Hemsworth was a surprisingly good THOR, i'll admit he lost he's luster a bit when he ends up learning respect and new ways of life in a style done to death, but nevertheless a good solid job.

However the best performance is of course Anthony Hopkins as his father Odin, The name Hopkins with every passing movie is becoming more of an Enigma and more of a housing to all these fantastic characters.

Jane Foster in the comics was human THOR's nurse, in this version she's an Astrologist played by Natalie Portman, after how brilliant her performance was in "Black Swan" i feel she's slowly becoming the next "Audrey Hepburn" of the movies.

If i wanted to recommend this movie to anyone, I'd ultimately say if you liked "Clash Of The Titans" then this movie is for you, less monsters but all that good mythology stuff any person would and probably SHOULD like.

Final Verdict: Tweaking the Origin's a little, But neverthelss a really cheesy fun movie, very glad i went to see it.
  16. May 31, 2013
    This movie was a lot better than I thought it was going to be. The plot was great and the characters were excellent, especially Loki. I can't wait for Thor: The Dark World.
  17. May 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Like the rest of the Avengers films, this movie was fantastic. I thought Chris Hemsworth did a great job in his portrayal of Thor and the rest of the cast was great. Natalie Portman is as breathtaking as ever and the rest of the supporting cast adds a combination of depth and humor. The action sequences were done great and I loved how well this film tied in with the others in the universe. The little nods towards Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk were subtle yet really well played. I thought Loki's motives were a little shaky, especially considering that it's the entire foundation of the movie. Nonetheless, the rest of the plot develops really nicely and the film gets a bit of everything from action to drama to romance to suspense. If you can suspend your disbelief enough to accept the premise of the film, I think this movie is very entertaining and enjoyable. Expand
  18. May 22, 2013
    Some superhero films just click in the sort of way where everyone is there for a reason, the plot flows nicely, the dialogue is the balanced blend of drama with real humour to mellow the mood, and characters that are larger than life and memorable. Thor has all of these, just not to the fullest.
    The God of Thunder is an over-confident, adrenaline-fuelled piece of meat played by the
    talented Chris Hemsworth, he is the would-be King to succeed his father, Odin (Anthony Hopkins), King of Asgard.
    When Thor recklessly battles with the Ice Giants of Jotunheim, a race that his father was holding a dodgy truth with, he is banished by his father and removed of all his power, including his hammer, Mjolnir.
    Crossing paths with the banished God on earth is Jane Foster (Natalie Portman), who accidentally runs him over while chasing an anomaly in the sky, Jane and her team, Eric Selvig (Stellan Skarsgård) and Darcy (Kat Dennings) are unaware at first that it was Thor and his hammer causing the strange occurrences in the sky.
    As Thor adjusts to life on earth, his brother Loki (Tom Hiddlestone), mischievous indeed, isn't everything he appears to be, and sets out a plan to be King. This is without doubt an explosive and action-packed first outing for Thor, the humour in the film is top notch and director Kenneth Branagh brings a true sense of realism to such an expansive and magical story.
    However, the film too often feels like a tie-in to keep us going until The Avengers, much like Iron Man 2, S.H.I.E.L.D. are just too heavily involved and often spoil the party for an otherwise enjoyable flick. The action is often just too quick, flashy and CGI-laden to enjoy, there is plenty of blur in the film, for all the wrong reasons. Clark Gregg returns as Agent Coulson, and while his scenes are good, and sometimes funny ("One of Starks?" "I don't know, he doesn't tell me anything"), they are just too expansive and plot oriented to the point where we start to lose interest in the Thor plot.
    That aside, Chris Hemsworth is perfectly cast, his charm, bulging biceps and over-zealous attitude contribute to much of the comedy, with a few one-liners that are simply priceless. The chemistry between himself and Portman is magical, while the more limited role of Selvig is enjoyable, its really the small part of Idris Elba playing Heimdall that is excellent.
    Not a the best of the Marvel Universe, but certainly an enjoyable first outing for Thor.
  19. May 9, 2013
    This film has exceeded my expectations. It 's been really nice and was able to entertain me without annoying me. I especially loved the character of Loki. Great performance by Tom Hiddleston.
  20. Apr 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Thor is a mighty superhero motion picture in the service of having a direction by Kenneth Branath. The film was written by Ashley Edward Miller, Zack Stentz and Don Payne and starring talented players like Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman, Tom Hiddleston and the stellar Anthony Hopkins. Thor is vividly ambitious having employed mega special effects and it is somehow a financial and critical success but it didn't worked out much for me, I just felt that Thor could have been much better.

The plot surrounds the character Thor (Played by Chris Hemsworth), whose character is well occupied with arrogance, courage, aggressiveness and those unpopular self-abilities were responsible for his own exile from Asgard to earth. Upon his exile, his evil brother, Loki (Played by Tom Hiddleston), intends to become the new king of Asgard and to consolidate all powers for his own self. I have absolutely nothing to against its main plot here, not very much of simplicity it is complex to a very small extent and it varies important themes like family and loyalty and it instantly tells me that Kenneth Branath injected some kind of Shakespearean elements in it. I approved its storyline here, it is good.

Acting-wise, it is amazing. Chris Hemsworth plays the tough character Thor and he navigated it very well. He is highly commanding in his acting performance and there is ultra-strength in it and yes, he did accomplished. Tom Hiddleston is very promising in the movie, perhaps I would say, Chris Hemsworth is overshadowed by him. Hiddleston's control on his facial expression every time he is performing is so precise, he exactly knows on when to 'turn to the left', or when to 'turn to the right', and with a perfect combination with his wonderful voice, he is sublime in this film. Perhaps his best moment is when his character Loki, a very inspirational villain, realised that he is adopted. Upon his discoveries, he screamed 'TELL ME!!' for the sake of finding the truth further and literally, backed up with fine acting skills, I could see so much pain and anger in Loki, and this enlightens me that Tom Hiddleston knows on how to manage a character. Anthony Hopkins plays Odin, the father of Thor, and as usual, brings his masterful game for his part and Natalie Portman too brought for us a fine performance.

The first quarter of this movie is very splendid. Anchored with excellent fighting/action scene, excellent editing, beautiful colourful special effects, great dialogues and I would like to reiterate, powerful acting performances but it did not lasted till the end. It literally went down the hill during the last quarter of the movie. Fighting scenes between Loki and Thor are purely messy and too ambitious, and I don't enjoy messiness. Tons of special effects are being employed and it loses my interest of it, and I guess it lacked much audience involvement during that period of time. I'm not trying to suggest that Thor is way over the top but its special effects somehow blinded my eyes that I could not focus much.

Thor is good, but not great, and I am very much in love to repeat that this movie could have been much, much, much, better.

(http://www.rottentomatoes.com/member/AlexDesmall) (http://facebook.com/alex.desmall) Twitter (Alex_DeSmall)
  21. Mar 19, 2013
    I didn't really expect too much from this movie, as I was never too much a fan of the comic or the character. But, to my surprise, it was somewhat decent. Effects were first rate, the characters were well played (perhaps a bit hammy at points) and story was a pretty good origin story for Thor. Overall: A good, but not great, movie. My least favorite of the Avenger characters.
  22. Feb 22, 2013
    The great and powerful Thor was one of the biggest grossing movies of 2011. The special effects in this film were really some of the best I've ever seen and the star of the film, Chris Hemsworth was amazing, but besides that, this film was extremely overrated. Thor is banished to Earth for disobeying his father, the King, and must live as a mortal. Surprisingly, it doesn't take him very long to adjust, and he falls in love with Natalie Portman during a fifteen minute car ride. Okay, so the plot was weak to begin with, but the special effects could have more than made up for that. What I really didn't like about this film was just how fast everything happened. Thor is going to be in the Avengers trilogy and there is a good possibility there may be a sequel to this film, so what was the point in rushing everything? The character of Thor is a majestic one. He is one of the most powerful superheroes that ever existed. This film should have been the epic classic that was talked about for years, but instead they rushed the story and hid behind some great special effects. It was visually impactful, entertaining, and had a great star, but a side from that, this film is nothing more than a common theme with a weak script. Expand
  23. Feb 16, 2013
    I loved this movie, but I was more amazed by the character Heimdall! He was epic! This movie is more about learning about Thor, I expect any sequel to have more action.
  24. Dec 7, 2012
    Hats off to Marvel Studios...Thor is excellent. Definitely one of the best Marvel films, behind Spidermans 1 & 2, which says a lot. This film was the perfect start to the blockbuster season.

First off, the cinematography and visual affects for the film were fantastic. Asgard, Thor's home planet, was beautiful to look at. I really enjoyed the scenes that took place there, and the
    artistic elements made it even better. The appearance of the film was my favorite thing about the movie. The visual effects were great too, but I come to expect nothing less of Marvel.

The performances were excellent, especially Chris Hemsworth as Thor, and supporting actor Tom Hiddleston. Hemsworth easily could have done what happened in Fantastic 4 and taken a more silly approach to the character, but he really does a great job of sticking to the character. Even during the humorous moments, I felt the acting held up. He gives a fantastic performance and is very convincing. Tom Hiddleston gives the strongest performance of the cast, in my opinion. I thoroughly enjoyed his performance and thought he did a great job. He really added a whole other level of emotion to the film. Natalie Portman is also fantastic, but I expect nothing less from her.

The story was also very appealing. I know absolutely nothing about the comic book Thor, same as most everyone else, so had no idea what to expect of this film. Marvel and director Kenneth Branagh knew this and were sure to keep that in mind when creating the movie. They did an excellent job. The characters were introduced nicely, the scenery gives the story a unique time and place, the pacing is great, there's little time wasted on narration and development, and they casted a brilliant set of actors to deliver the conflict and emotion. Also equal attention was given to both the God world and the human world, which I thought was very nice. The story was foreign to me, but because of the good direction and production, I ended up liking it a lot.

For the first blockbuster of the summer, Thor is a smashing success. I hope it scores big at the box office and I recommend it to everyone. This is Marvel's "prettiest" film, so take advantage of that at least.
  25. Nov 24, 2012
    Thor is the last movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe timeline right before The Avengers. Chris Hemsworth plays this truly tragic hero as he learns that with great power comes great responsibility. Plot: Thor Odinson is the son of Odin the allfather (Anthony Hopkins). Odin is the ruler of Asgard which oversees the 9 realms. Long ago the realm of Jotunheim had been engaged in a long war with Asgard in which Odin led his army to victory over the native Frost Giants and steals their source of power. However, Odin is about to name Thor King of Asgard when the Frost Giants attempt to take it back going against the terms of their truce. Odin turns a blind eye while Thor declares war but isn't taken seriously for he is not yet King. Foolishly, Thor travels with his friends and his brother into the realm of Jotunheim in an attempt to eliminate them. After a near death experience Odin bails Thor out but Laufey, leader of the Frost Giants declare war on Asgard. As a punishment for Thor's arrogance, Odin banish's Thor to the realm of Earth and strips him of his supernatural powers. Here, Thor meets a team of meterologists who attempt to help him out as he is misunderstood as the war rages between Asgard and Jotunheim. My opinion: This is a great movie that proves that you don't know what you have until it is taken away. Chris Hemsworth plays the awkwardest part of the movie very successfully as the locales of Earth have trouble communicating with him. If you are interested in Viking mythology or are into conspiracy theorys, or even interested in the Marvel Cinematic Universe then I would reccomend this movie. Expand
  26. Nov 20, 2012
    The action scenes were great but the movie was to mythological
  27. Oct 8, 2012
    Sorry, but the whole movie just reaks of style over substance - and when the style itself isn't that good you're on to a loser. Thor is the Norse god of strength and thunder, but in this film he's played either more for laughs, or as some dickhead jock. There's very little respect for him and the whole **** vs brilliance/belly-fire falls flat when said brilliance and belly-fire fail to show their face to counter-balance Thor's nob-head side. There's little in the way of opposition for Thor to face either, with the Frost Giants being a pretty shoddy set of opponents, and few epic fight scenes to speak of, instead there's just CGI scraps that make you switch off. It doesn't flow well, the romance plot gets far more coverage than it needs, and the whole film is shot rather amateurishly with too many epic shots apparent, watering the whole thing down. Not good and in a word - flat. Expand
  28. Sep 25, 2012
    When I went to the cinema to see it not that eager tubiera ... But pay to see this crap? By God, you freak! It is very bad and ridiculous. With a plot that looks like the movie "Enchanted".
  29. Sep 2, 2012
    recently watched Thor in 3D, I confess I did not expect much from the movie, so much that it took me enough to watch it ...

But I was pleasantly surprised, the movie is very good! It has a good script, great actors, which together seamlessly into their characters, and it's quite enjoyable to watch.

3D in my opinion is depth of photography, and that Thor, despite not having been run
    natively in 3D, has good effects and the picture is always crystal clear and deep natural well, I point out to all who have tv 3D to see it in 3D .Edit | Delete Expand
  30. Aug 25, 2012
    The film is solid fun with the cast doing a stellar job but both this film and Captain America just feel like they have been made to stop Avenger's from having any character introductions. Still most of this film is great and I always enjoy Natalie Portman's performances.
  31. Aug 8, 2012
    I liked Thor, the story seemed strong and the characters played their role pretty well, the way Thor interacted with the people on earth was hilarious, and near the end it was good to see him act more human towards them. It wasn't perfect, but it was a very good movie and I enjoyed watching it.
  32. Jul 15, 2012
    After Iron Man and Hulk, next up was Thor for introduction to the cinema-going masses in preparation for his role in The Avengers.

In comparison with most other superheroes, not only being from another world but a God at that, the story of Thor is probably one of the more difficult stories for adaptation. By dealing with other worlds and deities, as superhero stories go, Thor is more
    magical and less grounded than say Captain America or Batman. The result is a hit and miss comic book adaptation that suffers from a poor villain, too much mythology and fantasy, unmemorable fight scenes and an occasionally cheesy script. Chris Hemsworth is likeable as Thor, he delivers both the brash arrogance and later sincerity of the character and although I haven't seen The Avengers I hope his character is given a reasonable amount of time.

The story benefits most when Thor is exiled to Earth, the subsequent clash of cultures with scientist Natalie Portman is funny in places, although the line about a phone picture going straight onto Facebook may win 'cheesiest line of the year'.

Having read differing reviews of Tom Hiddleston's Loki, I side with the negative. Comparisons of the actor's portrayal with Heath Ledger's Joker are way wide of the mark. Thor's brother Loki is as unmemorable a villain as I can remember.

A must see for any comic book or Avengers fan but not the greatest superhero film.
  33. Jul 5, 2012
    I watched this movie some time ago. Thor had some actors I like. The old guy that is in charge of the Swiss guard in Angels and Demons is in the movie. The hot Natalie Portmen is also in it (the queen from Star Wars, and the chick from Black Swan). Anthony Hopkins (from Silence of the Lambs) is also in it. He plays as Odin, Thor's father. The main character that plays Thor was unknown to me. When I saw the trailer for the movie I was like who the **** is this guy? Running around thinking he is all bad ass. I was glad that he did not ruin the movie in the end. There are several funny parts in this movie. I thought the funniest part was soon after he arrived at earth and lost all his power; he was in a hospital and people were trying to sedate him and he yells out,"YOU CANNOT STOP THE MIGHTY TH.." Then he passed out after being drugged. The big silver giant robot in the movie bothered me because it looked like they copied and pasted it from the movie The Day The Earth Stood Still. It even shoots out lasers. lol. The movie was good for being a movie I did not really care to see. Expand
  34. Jul 4, 2012
    When critiquing a movie, I think people tend to go over-analytical. For me, a movie is decided good or not by how much I particularly liked it. For Thor, I was entertained and I enjoyed the movie a lot. The special effects were killer and I was fangirling over both the protagonist and the antagonist. I had fun watching it, and that really matters. Oh, and once again, TOM HIDDLESTON hothothothot.
  35. Jun 1, 2012
    Hmm very mixed bag this one, read the comics as a kid but never really got hooked on the character, this movie spends a great deal of time on Thor's vanity more than anything else, by the time the real story is kicking in the credits are close. Not a bad movie but probably the weakest origin movie so far.
  36. May 31, 2012
    Thor was by far the worst superhero movie of all time. The movie was like a science fiction version of Twilight. The movie will put you to sleep within like, two minutes. Unless you are a hardcore Thor fan, do not even consider renting this movie.
  37. May 17, 2012
    They couldn't pronounce a lot of things right in the movie, me being Norwegian definitely changes my opinion. It was a decent movie, but the story should have focused more on Thor himself.
  38. May 16, 2012
    all of the female characters in this movie have bafflingly bad dialogue. the writing is especially underwhelming for natalie portman (who stumbles through this entire movie much as she did in star wars ep1) and kat dennings made me wanna punch stuff for how stupid and unfunny her character was. at one point she takes a picture of thor on her phone and says "this is going straight to facebook." Loki was the best written character and had some complexity to him to a level that was completely off the charts compared to the rest of the characters. every other character is a cliche with the subtlety of a screaming baby Expand
  39. May 12, 2012
    Like John Carter, this was another very entertaining movie, taken from a very unreal story. The lead actor played Thor perfectly. If an uncut version of this movie ever came to light (filling in some of the missing elements in the relationships within the story) this would be an excellent film. As it stands, it's a solid effort.
  40. May 6, 2012
    Everyone I talked to about Thor thoroughly disliked it, but I'm really not sure why. It kept my attention throughout and the special effects looked beautiful. I agree that the story could've been a little more exciting but oh well, it was definitely entertaining and worth my one buck to rent through redbox.
  41. May 5, 2012
    THOR is not perfect, by far. The story is somewhat lacking, and the acting is mediocre. But it makes up for all of that with humor and lots of fun action that is so typical of marvel films.
  42. May 5, 2012
    i really liked how they portrayed asgard. and although i thought the movie was a bit too lighthearted, i must admit that it was always fun.
  43. May 1, 2012
    Finally got around to seeing this one. I hadn't made it a priority because I'd barely ever even heard of Thor as a Marvel character, and I'll admit that what I'd heard about the ideas behind the mythology of the Thor comics had me a little intimidated as someone who respects comics from a distance. That being said, I was supremely impressed with not only the movie's on-screen depiction of Asgard and the society at large, but also the way that the script worked explanations of how the magic and scientific aspects of the realms work in the fiction. I never felt lost or as if a specific detail or explanation weren't accounted for when the plot called for it. The pacing of the movie feels this though, and there are a lot of long gaps of explanations and dialogue (which is all amazingly written, at least) between action pieces. Thor didn't really step outside of the boundaries in terms of plot structure, (hero fails, works for redemption, finds love, kicks ass, reclaims hero status), but that didn't really bother me because most of the movie works so well. No spoilers or detailed explanations obviously, but there were two things that got on my nerves. First off, the connection between Natalie Portman's character (whose name escapes me) and Thor doesn't feel inspired to me. It's cute that it's there, but I didn't see why they seemed to care about each other as there was little shared screen time between the two. Secondly, our villain is a part of Marvel lore that I had never heard of. That isn't a bad thing, but aside from one standout moment ( / plot twist), Loki seemed completely uninspired, and his role in the movie ultimately becomes a set-up for his role in the Avengers (or so I assume). While neither of these aspects derail the movie or keep you from wanting to watch all of the ass Thor kicks, but I personally would have been far more interested in learning more about Asgard than witnessing some failed plot mechanics. And so while the movie has it's problems, and is definitely a slower-paced Marvel movie than fans are accustomed to, I wouldn't pass it up as a casual movie-goer and fan of other comic book movies. I'll probably watch it at least one more time just because I had so much fun watching it, and that's saying something for me. Expand
  44. Apr 30, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The one thing I enjoyed most of this film was the amount of work that was put into it also Chris Hemsworth which play the main role of "Thor" was the best chosen actor for this film. However the storyline started to lack quit a bit nearing the end...the so called death of his brother "Loki" wasn't much of a tragedy after been seen in the "avengers". But over all the film was done quite well and enjoyed it very much. I give this film an 8 well done. Expand
  45. Apr 22, 2012
    Unfortunately I had high expectations for this movie and I was sorely disappointed. There was so much more scope for battle scene which and along with his band of merry friends I struggled to understand why Thor and co. were build up to be this crack squad of warriors when they done so little battling.
  46. Apr 11, 2012
    I suppose it is not a bad film overall. However, Ebert is right, and in my opinion, Iron Man is the greatest super hero film of all time. Thor is entertaning and he is a cool character, but the plot is slightly boring but still stable. So I have mixed feelings for the concept of this movie. However, viewers, I recommend it overall.
  47. Apr 10, 2012
    As someone unfamiliar with the character of Thor I found this film to be quite entertaining. The plot was better than most superhero movies and the visuals were stunning. Certainly worth a watch.
  48. Apr 6, 2012
    I was really looking forward to this movie. I love action, SF, Fantasy, as well as most other films. The special effects were awesome, and yes, when Thor (Chris Hemsworth) took off his shirt - my oh my.... but this film was definitely lacking something. I think the romance thread was so poorly done that it left me wanting something more from the film. There was no chemistry between the actors.
  49. Mar 7, 2012
    This a fantastic film, the mithology of the comic appear in this film, the cast do a great performance of the characters, and the effects, wow, are awesome, the screenplay is good. Thor is one of the better MARVEL Studious films.
  50. Feb 10, 2012
    Thor is definitely one of the weaker movies based on Marvel superheroes. The plot is decent but the problem is that it isn't told very well, creating a situation where dramatic moments often fall flat. The intense special effects used to create Asgard can sometimes be overwhelming although other effects are quite good. Some characters are likeable but not lovable due to the fact that they are mostly one-dimensional. We don't even get a good insight into Thor himself and yet we are encouraged to root for him. Any character development that does happen appears to happen in stages instead of being a natural progression. The central romance feels forced although both actors try hard to make it work. The movie is fun, however, if you adjust your expectations. Certain fight scenes are exciting and the writing can sometimes be funny. Thor is not essential viewing and will not change your life but you might enjoy yourself. Expand
  51. Feb 7, 2012
    Thor is a very uneven movie. Some parts are very entertaining, such as the initial fight between Thor and his companions and the frost giants. However, the entire middle of the film which takes place mostly on Earth is very uneventful and they don't really fill it with any meaningful character development. Chris Hemsworth is fine as Thor, but the best performance and most interesting character is definitely Tom Hiddleston who plays Loki. The attempts at humor in the movie are forced and rarely funny. The first 30 minutes and the last 30 minutes are fairly entertaining, but there's a lot of dead zones in the script. Expand
  52. Feb 6, 2012
    First of all: watch the Credits completely! After that you will see something that changes everything! Thor is funny and loaded with heaps of action. The basic story is well known. So this movie doesn't extend your understandment of the story of Thor. Some special effects look like a few years behind newest standards but it"s absolutely worth to see it. Good mixture of fun and action, combined with fantasy elements created a better movie the some other superhero movies! Lovestory is only sideeffect what makes the movie even better... Expand
  53. Jan 28, 2012
    I've never read a Thor comic and I expected this movie to be dire, in fact I was pleasantly surprised, it's not as bad as it could (or should - the idea of Thor sounds ropey) have been. I thought the visuals of Asgard were fantastic, they managed to somehow make a mythological realm of the gods actually feel 'real'. It left me wanting to see more adventures with Thor in.
  54. Jan 24, 2012
    Hemsworth, Hopkins, and Hiddleston were great in this film and were perfectly casted for this film. However the rest of the film was terrible. The rest of the cast sucked and didnt sell their parts well, the action was terrible, and the director did a terrible job bringing Thor to life. Really disapointing film.
  55. Jan 22, 2012
    Thor is about a powerful but arrogant warrior whose reckless actions reignite an ancient war. As a result, Thor is banished to Earth where he is forced to live among humans. When the most dangerous villain of his world sends its darkest forces to invade Earth, Thor learns what it takes to be a true hero. Although the film is undeniably cheesy Thor is extremely entertaining, action packed and funny and features a fantastic debut performance from Chris Hemsworth and a charming performance from Kat Dennings. Although Natalie Portman just won herself an Oscar her character is cliche and that is the exact performance she has brought us. It seems Natalie is going back to her old bad acting ways like Star Wars. I give this film 88% of a good movie. Expand
  56. Jan 17, 2012
    The best this kind of movie is going to get. Chris Hemsworth plays the God Jock turned selfless hero perfectly. The supporting cast are good and look like they are having fun at the same time as delivering the goods. Tom Hiddleston is perfectly cast as Loki and does a subtle and eerie job in what is ablockbuster type movie. Anthony Hopkins is well cast and does a good job as Zeus. This is the first film since District 9 where I actually enjoyed the CGI. It is well done and works well for the magical Asgard, as well as for Thor and The Destroyer. I thought the humour worked well in the film too and it was nice to see it used at the right times. I also thought the end was decent. Expand
  57. dz9
    Jan 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Good: A perfectly casted Thor, nice visuals, and an awesome villain. The Bad: uninspired story, awfully casted love interest, and unbalanced character development. Did I just say that the great Natalie Portman sucked in this??? Yes I did, don't get me wrong... she's overall is a great actress but she just can't make the switch between seriously involved characters and light hearted comic movies... this movie and No Strings Attached show us this. Because of this, you never really buy into the love between her and Thor. Let alone buying into the idea that Thor would abandon his home to live here on Earth for her.. And this is the movie's main problem, the main plot is Thor's arrogance and Portman's character is the one that fuel's his reason to change and ultimately surpass his inner revelations.. which translates into one of the main struggles of the movie, and it's a shame that this completely fell flat making the movie lackluster in this area. Another serious problem is due to the fact that the movie gives Lokie too much of the audience's sympathy. They give Lokie the whole "villain that you feel for vibe," but they gave him too much sympathy. Seeing that Thor is a complete arrogant jerk, Odin completely robbed this man, and the entire kingdom forgets his existence because of the main protagonist, i found myself actually rooting for Lokie. Which is a BAD thing to project in a hero movie.... rooting for the bad guy. A few minor problems of the movie is that the climax is unsatisfying, the action is poorly directed, and the story feels a bit disjointed. The movie isn't a total loss, Chris Hemsworth knocks Thor's character out of the park, Ozgard looks fantastic and beautiful, and the movie seems to translate well into the Avengers movie. In the End: this movie was in-fact a good summer movie... I don't recommend spending more than a dollar blockbuster/redbox price upon it. Your main reason for renting this should be for getting ready for the Avengers movie. Which also makes me wonder, would any one actually cared as much and would this movie done so well if it wasn't for the avengers hype??? Hmmm....... My last thought: I hope this movie's flaws doesn't translate over into the Avengers movie. Expand
  58. Zal
    Jan 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm not big on superhero movies and I have not seen that many. But I am proud to say that I have seen Thor and liked it. I didn't expect to. I haven't read the comics but I'm fully aware of what Thor in the comic book series looks like and I know that the books are very campy and goofy.
    There are several reasons why I love this movie. First of all, the acting is good, which is not something I expected from this film. Chris Hemsworth, aside from being incredibly handsome, plays the role of Thor very well. He's able to show a playful yet sympathetic side to Thor. My favorite bit of him acting is when he is taken into custody by SHIELD and Loki comes to visit him and tells him about the "death" of Odin. Hemsworth acting is entirely genuine in this scene. All of the other actors are good. There are two that I didn't like quite as much. First, Anthony Hopkins as Odin. This is more of a casting issue than an acting issue because I like Hopkins but I think he looks silly as Odin. Then there is the guy who played Loki (whose name I don't remember and I'm too lazy to look it up). He was good for the most part, but there were times when he REALLY went over the top. Also, what is up with that stupid hat?
    All of the characters are fun and interesting. Thor is surprisingly complex and Loki is a great character, too. I love all of Thor's friends from Asgard. Kat Denning's character Darcy is very funny.
    Some people I know complain that there wasn't as much action as there should have been. Personally, I didn't mind that there wasn't much action. There was more time spend on developing Thor and the other characters and that made up for it.
    I did think it was sort of strange how the climax involved Thor trying to save the frost giants. It didn't make much sense and it was very short. It was disappointing.
    Overall it's pretty good and I'm looking forward to the sequel and Avengers movie.
    By the way, Idris Elba is in the movie. AWESOME!
  59. Jan 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Marvel Studios has done it again with another stellar representation of one of their characters as we prepare for the Avengers movie in 2012. Surprisingly funny mixed with great action, my only gripe came with the ease in which Thor took down the Destroyer armor, which could have been a much more drawn out and epic battle. All in all though a very enjoyable watch for even the most casual of comic book fans. Expand
  60. Dec 29, 2011
    i hated this movie. i just really didnt like it, i was annoyed when i watched it. the visuals were great, but that was the only good thing about the movie. the acting was bad, the story was messy, the "love story" (if you can ever call it that) was completely unbelievable and was were there so many tilted shots (it seemed like the movie had more tilted shots than normal horizontal shots.why??). it felt that the movie should have been split into two separate film, but that would have never worked. the only interesting thing was the lokki plot (that and the visuals are the only reason it has 3 ). i wouldnt recommend it to anyone. awful film. Expand
  61. Dec 19, 2011
    Good attempt to capture the Thor from the comic books, but the movie falls short in so many points. Personally, I think Thor would have been better served by doing a Lord of the Rings style movie. There is no way to capture how great the movie could have been in a single setting.
  62. Dec 13, 2011
    In terms of the style of the whole thing, this adaptation of "Thor" could not have been better. The dialogue has a bit of that Shakespearean bravado to it, but it's not overly done. The costume translations are the best of any superhero movie to date, and the creation of Asgard is just how I pictured it when I read the comic books. Branagh handles the action scenes like a seasoned action director, cleverly mixing CGI animation with close-up shots of the real people. Even the cast is perfect. Chris Hemsworth plays Thor, the trickiest hero in the Marvel universe, and he does so wonderfully. He encapsulates Thor's brash arrogance and sympathetic nature with ease. I also loved Tom Hiddleston as "Loki". He's able to bring what few actors can to a villain; humanity and sympathy. You come to understand why Loki commits the actions that he does. You don't necessarily agree with them, but he's able to become a character who commits actions for a purpose rather than for mere evil intentions. So why isn't Thor a "great" movie? Well, this adaptation suffers from a lot of the same elements of other book adaptations. It feels rushed. There's so much story and so many characters that even at a two hour running time, Branagh is unable to explore it all sufficiently. It would have been better if we saw more of Asgard in the beginning, and also more character interaction between Thor and Jane Foster (Natalie Portman). Also, very few of the characters are developed sufficiently (Loki and Odin were the only characters I felt were explored fully). Now this is kind of a good and a bad thing. It's bad in the sense that you don't feel like you got the complete movie experience when it's all said and done, but at the same time, this "Thor" acts like the first "X-Men" film where it more or less introduces all of the characters leaving room for more character exploration in the sequels ahead. It's kind of like the series premiere of a TV show where the movie "Thor" is there to hook you in to the concept and leave you wanting more. Overall, "Thor" is an immensely good time at the movies. It could have been something really great, but it settles by delivering an engaging story with fun characters and terrific action scenes. Expand
  63. Dec 12, 2011
    that movie SUCKED! there was barely any action so i don't know WHY they said it was an action movie! Don't buy it! The only reason i gave it a one is because it was entertaining for the first five minutes, then it got confusing and boring.
  64. Nov 28, 2011
    Thor is not one of the deepest comic characters in the Marvel Universe but his story translated to the big screen just fine. If you live all of the other comic movies this one will not let you down. I would even suggest buying it if there is a bit of nerd in you.
  65. Nov 26, 2011
    While the main cast did a solid job, The CGI was absolutely terrible and looked very bad. The action was also pretty terrible as well. The franchise has a ton of potential though.
  66. Nov 24, 2011
    After having watched Green Lantern, Thor wasn't a disappointment. In fact, it is a good movie. It didn't do justice to the comics though but still it was worth it.
  67. Nov 18, 2011
    Thor is an okay superhero film but there is a lot like it that has been seen before. Although the acting was questionable, the story and the special effects were good.
  68. Nov 15, 2011
    To say that Thor is a bad superhero movie is wrong but saying it's the greatest superhero movie is also wrong. Though I enjoyed Chris Hemsworth as Thor and I found everyone to be not as enthusiastic as Thor himself particularly Kat Dennings character who just was annoying and made to many references to todays society. the CGI effects are terrific particularly the Asgard scenes. Nice little cameo from Hawkeye for next years Avengers film and Samuel L. Jackson makes another appearance as Nick Fury which is pretty cool. Overall the was ok just a few things wrong with it. hopefully the Avengers and Thor 2 in 2013 will sort things out. I look forward to seeing Hemsworth work with RDJ and Chris Evans next year Expand
  69. Nov 15, 2011
    Thor's showing was mediocre at best. CGI was not up to date and action scenes contained nothing spectacular. It felt like the movie's focus was more on the character relationships rather than the action; which was what I was looking forward to.
  70. Nov 14, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bottom Line: One of the better films in the â Expand
  71. Nov 12, 2011
    By far the worst Marvel movie I have ever seen in my life... it was cheesy corny and im so glad i saw it for free because i wouldnt pay a dime to see it again... if you actually enjoyed this movie and is looking forward to thor 2 ....you need to recheck yourself.
  72. Nov 9, 2011
    This is the result of what happens when comic books meet Shakespeare. Great popcorn film full of action and humor. Well worth the money to see this film. This is Thor's back story and should make for the base for future Thor and Avenger films. Hemsworth is outstanding. Hopkins is always good and Branagh showed the world that he's more than just the Shakespeare guy. Fantastic movie.
  73. Nov 8, 2011
    Fun, but incredibly stupid. The plot had more holes than swiss cheese. However, the action scenes were a blast, even though their meaning is shrouded in stupidity. Oh, did I mention the stupid costumes?
  74. Nov 4, 2011
    Although it has horrible dialogue and acting, it is a fun, entertaining and hilarious film that provides more laughs than anything else. Better than I expected.
  75. Nov 3, 2011
    THOR IS A PURE ACTION FULL OF STORY AND DRAMA OF GODS. AMAZING MOVIE OF 2011. ACCORDING TO ME IN THE WHOLE AVENGERS TEAM THE COOLEST ACTION HERO IS THOR, WHICH MEANS THOR (THE GOD OF THUNDER) REALLY ROCKS. DON'T MISS THE BEST ACTION MOVIE OF 2011. BUY IT ON BLU-RAY OR DVD. GO FOR IT!!!!
  76. Oct 31, 2011
    The idea of a "classic" director like Kenneth Branagh making a superhero film might initially sound strange, but in the case of Thor that ended up being very appropriate, because the comic always used Shakespearean drama and archaic language to tell the story of the God of Thunder, the political/family conflicts in the Asgard kingdom and its interaction with the universe of Marvel Comics. An exhilarating experience, with splendid visuals and a great dose of witty humor. Thor is a very entertaining flick and i was flabbergasted with the CGI effects in this! They are amazingly well done and pretty realistic. Though of all the praises fired up there's a lot of improvement that should have been made for this movie especially the story though simplicity means beautiful I still believe it should have been greatly produced with sort of brain twisting climax. Overall very descent and spectacular film..CGI brings the entertainment plus the fact I love Natalie Portman. Expand
  77. Oct 30, 2011
    by Satan that movie more absurd, nonsensical, badly directed, badly acted, inconsistent and not at all entertaining, the special effects were nothing surprising.
  78. Oct 26, 2011
    Could have been worse ... should have been better. Redeeming features: Idris Elba, Natalie Portman and Chris Hemsworth. Disappointing: poor acting by Anthony Hopkins (never thought I would say that but the role was too empty for him), unimpressed by Tom Hiddleston as Loki, whilst Kat Dennings was too under-utilised. She is an excellent young actress who only got a bit part.
    Less God of
    Thunder, and more God of Drizzle. Expand
  79. Oct 26, 2011
    Chris H was absolutely spot on for the role of Thor...... What a waste.... the dialogue is wooden... There were better plots and effects in the old land of the lost tv series...... and if this wasnt bad enough, they had to force feed it the usual formula love interest as well......
  80. Oct 15, 2011
    Thor was a fairly entertaining film, and I was not too disappointed as I did not have any high standard for it before watching. It fits into the category of quality that most comic book adaptations fall into, and this is not necessarily a very bad thing. The recent increase in film adaptations has brought down certain standards, and this particular film is a good example. Lame dialogue and a rather childish series of events is a given, but the film could have done with a slightly better cast in my opinion. Natalie Portman has never striked me as a good actress. The film is a mediocre watch to those who know what to expect. Expand
  81. Oct 12, 2011
    Honestly, ZERO is too high for this movie. Big shame artists like Portman and Hopkins take roles in such movies for money. Wasted two hours of my life watching it because of surprisingly high ratings of other people :-(
  82. Oct 12, 2011
    Thor is a great example of a movie that is fairly etertaining but not a good movie. The characters are flat and static which leaves no room for character development.
  83. Oct 12, 2011
    The cinematography and CGI are amazing, which is to be expected with a big budget film. However, the story is slow and plodding. The whole thing seemed like a back story for the Avengers film, which may be necessary but is far from entertaining.
  84. Oct 11, 2011
    If you ever have a childhood and you watched Hercules of Disney´s you'll find that this movie is the same, is just too infantile, the humor is too stupid and the action is too short and for some moments you just don´t know what is happening or why are they doing
  85. Oct 8, 2011
    If you are not a comic book lover, or 12 years of age, you may find the start of this movie a little warn, old hat and "not a movie for you". However if you continue watching, the movie finally opens up into a little sun, stops taking itself too seriously and so begins an enjoyable movie. Once a few jokes were cracked, you knew you were in light hearted adventure territory and that served well for the rest of the movie. Acting was good, 3D city and animation was ok but I thought a little too cliche and not really that inventive. However as a piece of entertainment, absolutely fun for the whole family and much better than I anticipated. Expand
  86. Oct 7, 2011
    Probably the best super hero movie so far. It portrays the real Thor comics wonderfully and has real and realistic movie effects to boot.
    The character choice is also awesome and the story deeply entertaining. The only downside is that if you watch it in 3D you'll find that it doesn't make to much of a difference. All and all a great movie.
  87. Oct 2, 2011
    The beauty of Thor in comparison to its other marvel counterparts of the last few years (Captain America and Iron Man 2) is that it has fun with the story that its telling. Superheroes don't have to be dark and brooding (unless it improves the film like in Batman Begins, a film that still manages to have fun despite the subject matter). Thor's (Chris Hemsworth) story is a simple one with him being a selfish, arrogant heir to the throne of Asgard (a planet far from earth) who makes a terrible mistake and is banished from Asgard by his father Odin (played with great gravitas by Anthony Hopkins). The fact that Thor is an origins movie works in its favour as the whole film is about his growth into the king his father wants him to be and the hero that earth needs him to be. It also allows for something rarely seen in film, a thoroughly unpleasant lead character. However the film isn't really anything more than an action film, despite the beautiful landscapes used and the astounding visuals of Asgard it is still just an action film. However the film works in that regard unlike Iron Man 2 and Captain America because its funny, charming and well paced. Expand
  88. Sep 30, 2011
    I was hoping this movie would follow in the path of movies like the dark knight, x-men, or spiderman series but instead it is more in line with the hulk, ugggh. The whole movie was a snore, lots of cgi that looks like you have seen a thousand time before. Thor's character was corny, the script was poor with lots of stupid dialog that made it more like a cartoon script. Definitely don't buy, maybe rent. Expand
  89. Sep 29, 2011
    Fun action movie. don't try and break it down and analyze it. the movie is meant to entertain and be a fun movie about THE GOD OF THUNDER!!!!!! if you wanna chill out to a cool action movie this is a good choice.
  90. Sep 28, 2011
    I dont really think this movie rates a 0, but I'm trying in my small way to counteract the 10's given. 10? Are you kidding me? This movie was, at best, average and forgettable. It's a feel good movie, only good for children or easy to please adults of low intelligence. It should have been a better movie. The only actors who were believable at all were Loki and the Laufey. And I thought both of them should have been much more formidable. I'm sure my small children would give this movie a 7 or 8, but as an adult, I'd give it maybe a 4. C'mon Hollywood, Thor is a great concept, cant you do better? Expand
  91. Sep 28, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The concept of Thor always appeared to be a difficult proposition for a film adaptation. The very idea of an actual Norse God as a superhero, co-existing with your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man and your military-industrial Iron Man, just seemed far-fetched. Would he wear tights and speak in ye olde Norse dialect? Fortunately, Kenneth Branagh was up to the challenge and has delivered a fairly first-rate superhero film whose ambitions are never that high but which succeeds on pure force of execution and entertainment value. Asgard in this movie looks like some sci-fi vision of the Emerald City, which works quite well with this audacious and fantastical vision of the Marvel Universe's cosmic realm. Given that they're presented more like alien overlords then actual spiritual Gods, the glorious sheen of polished hallways with strange otherworldly designs melds well with the rustic Viking elements of long dining halls and carved stone steps. In other films, I'll often decry the widespread and indiscriminate use of CGI as a serious detriment, as they look wrong and pull the audience out of the story. Yet here... the world of Asgard obviously looked CGI, but it didn't bother me. After all, it's an utterly foreign world of Norse gods/aliens living on a planet in another galaxy/dimension and possessing technology which qualifies as both magic and science. In such a land, you can't help but get something that looks like CGI. It's not real, it makes no effort to look real, and I found it worked quite well for what they were going for.

Of all the elements in this film, the humor is probably what stands out to me the most. I found myself laughing, chuckling, and giggling more often during this screening then I have in quite a long time at the theater. Most of that humor comes from Kat Dennings's character Darcy, with lines like, "Mew mew? What's mew mew?" which always seemed to hit their mark, at least with me. The middle act is basically a fish out of water story, and wrings as much comedy out of that premise as you'd imagine. I dunno, maybe I'm just real easy to entertain, but the comedy all worked. It ends up striking that nice balance between humor and seriousness without tipping over into absolute goofiness that can ruin a superhero film.

Finally, Natalie Portman has managed to get herself into a good sci-fi film, cause those Star Wars prequels sure as hell didn't do it. While her performance is in tune with the rest of the film and quite competent, I never did buy her as a physicist studying Einstein-Rosen bridges. Anyone expecting something incredible and transformative like her Oscar-winning turn in Black Swan is going to be sorely disappointed, but... that's not really the sort of expectation you should have for this kind of film, I'd have to say. It's not amazing by any stretch, but she also doesn't embarrass herself here. Most of the time, she's being a giggly, googly-eyed girl, which is how pretty much any human female would behave in the presence of a winsome God of Thunder like Thor, I suppose. Oh, and her line reading of "Oh My God" has to be one of the top three deliveries of that phrase ever uttered on film. It is hysterical.

Chris Hemsworth makes for a dashing, slightly arrogant, and incredibly powerful Thor. I'll admit, I was somewhat leery of the casting choice at first, not because he didn't physically resemble the comic book character, not at all, but because honestly... I wasn't much of a fan of his performance at the beginning of Star Trek 09. Oh sure, it was just a small role, and he didn't have that much to work with, but his line delivery just didn't quite click with me. And then we heard of the rumors on set, where supposedly Anthony Hopkins had berated him for being lousy. Well, whether they were true or not seems moot now, because Hemsworth delivers a very comfortable, crowd pleasing performance which cements his status as a rising star in Hollywood and probably gives what many Thor readers have hoped and dreamed of. I can't say if his Thor is precisely one that leaps right off the pages of the comic book since I've never read a Thor comic, but it does seem safe to say that his is a rather faithful and well-executed portrayal. Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor, and Hemsworth proves to be worthy indeed.

While there's no weak link and everyone does a fairly good job, Tom Hiddleston is unquestionably the standout performance of the bunch as Loki. It's striking how effective and yet subtle his performance is. He brings this deep layer of pathos and turmoil to the character that allows you to understand some of his motivations, even if you don't necessarily react sympathetically to his actions. The central story of the entire film is ultimately one between two brothers, and Hiddleston absolutely elevates it to a higher plane than anyone could have expected.
  92. Sep 16, 2011
    I don't know how. Thor was goddamn awful and silly. Probably with the script and characters. But Hiddleston was great. I should worry with The Avengers now.
  93. Sep 15, 2011
    I had a blast watching this, it not only has some amazing special effects, but extremely enjoyable characters, these are some of Marvels most human characters yet, it can be genuinely funny, somewhat touching, and backs it all up with some awesome fights, and I just love the references to the other super heroes, like Iron Man (and was that Hawkeye?!), and the way it brings you closer to the future Avengers movie, honestly the most disappointing part was the ending, and it leaves the question of what's next for Thor? but this is still an awesome movie, and a perfect see for fans of Marvel. Expand
  94. Sep 15, 2011
    thor over all was a ok movie it had a ok plot , ok acting , and some pretty good action . the best part of the movie is probubly the first 30 min . it opens up great but then kinda goes down abit once thor gets to earth. mainly because he starts off as a ego maniac who cares for nothing but kicking ass . then all of a sudden he turns into this kind gentle man who wants to save every one with nothing in the film that explains why all of a sudden he makes this change in his life.like i said its a ok film that if you into the comic book films you will probubly find it alright . Expand
  95. Sep 15, 2011
    An immensely enjoyable Marvel, Chris Hemsworth and tom hiddleston played the parts with a lot of energy. The visuals were quite spectacular, mainly, the sweeping canvas of Asgard. The action scenes were also good though I thought could have been executed better with lesser use of the fast cut edit style that is too often the norm in action film these days.
  96. Sep 14, 2011
    Pertaining heavily lethargic action, unfunny humor, and a flat story that contains only 2 backgrounds (human world and the world of gods), Marvel rewrites summer blockbuster "Thor"'s preposterous comic odyssey into a f***ed up one.
  97. Sep 14, 2011
    The entire film is supported by an all-star cast and each one delivers a pretty darn good performance. Every scene in Asgard, Jotunheim, and in between those two locations quite simply steals the show. I was mesmerized with these settings and I wish we could have seen more of them. Earth is lackluster when compared to the aforementioned locations, but Thor does make it a tab bit more interesting. The presence of Hopkins is always appreciated and Skarsgard is magnificent as always. Hemsworth is not bad either! This film looks spectacular on Blu-Ray! Expand
  98. Sep 5, 2011
    Based on the marvel character of the same name, this live-action movie tells the story about Thor, a noble warrior who gets exiled by his father Odin to live on earth amongst the humans. There, he meets a scientist named Jane Foster, who teaches him lessons as his brother plots to send out his dark forces and take over all of Asgard. It is up to Thor to regain his strength and save the two worlds.

I caught the screening of this movie almost four months ago and enjoyed it. Now to my opinion.

Bad: Some of the scenes have product placements like the 7-Eleven store, the Burger King soda drink, and it even had an IPOD mention. The story was lacking and the ending was too clichéd.

Good: The actors were very good at their performances. Chris Hemsworth was very compelling as Thor and he had enough screen time. Natalie Portman was a lot of fun as Jane Porter and she was very funny. Tom Hiddleston was entertaining as Loki and had a lot of talent and Anthony Hopkins was also entertaining as Odin. The CGI and the settings were pretty good and the action scenes were amazing.

Thor may not be the best movie of 2011, but it lives up to its potential of the comic books with neat special effects, solid acting, and great action scenes.

99. Sep 5, 2011
    This is a Great adaption of the known comics book THOR . All of them behind and front of the movie did an amazing work . The whole film is a mixture of Action , thriller , mystery and Funny element that exactly a good movie should have . Sometimes it seems better then Marvel's Iron Man . The Sound tracks and Special Effect was super . Stellan , Anthony , Tom , Kat & Natalie did so good .And Chris was the perfect choice for playing Thor . Kenneth's Direction was great . Story : 1.62 [All comics adaption Movie seems too flat but it was so close to be perfect] Directing : 1.62 Acting : 1.72 [Perfect Chris and amazing Natalie and Tom] Sound :1.62 Effect : 1.72 OVERALL : 8.210â Expand

1. Reviewed by: Roger Ebert
    Jul 29, 2011
    The standards for comic book superhero movies have been established by "Superman," "The Dark Knight," "Spider-Man 2" and "Iron Man." In that company "Thor" is pitiful. Consider even the comparable villains (Lex Luthor, the Joker, Doc Ock and Obadiah Stane). Memories of all four come instantly to mind. Will you be thinking of Loki six minutes after this movie is over?
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    May 12, 2011
    The year's most divided movie to date; everything that happens in the higher realms, vaguely derived from Nordic legend, is posturing nonsense, whereas the scenes down here are managed, for the most part, with dexterity and wit. [16 May 2011, p. 133]
  3. Reviewed by: J.R. Jones
    May 11, 2011
    This is eminently missable, though the mosaic design of Asgard, Thor's mythical realm, is pretty cool.