6.4

1. Jan 19, 2013
    One of Gilliam' best. Beautiful, funny, dark. Most critics, it seems, we're too terrified by the image of a retarded man kissing a young girl. It's worth noting that this is not a sexual kiss, it's a peck on the lips like any two children might do while playing. Anyone who interprets that scene as pedophilia needs to take long look at themselves because it's kind of creepy to read that much in to such an innocent scene. Collapse
  2. May 18, 2014
    One of my favorite movies. Memorable.

It's sick, it's shocking, it's bizarre, disturbing. And I love it. It reminds me of Pan's Labyrinth, but I must say I like this one just a little bit better.

1. When the little girl tells her decapititated doll, "It's not just a bad dream," she is right. It's just a bad movie.
  2. A mix of "Alice in Wonderland" and William S. Burroughs, "Psycho" and the psychotic. It's pretty much a squirmy experience all around.
  3. A misconceived washout of a darkly gothic story of madness, addiction and child abuse made all the more unpleasant by Gilliam's trademark intense visual style.