4.9

1. Jun 9, 2014
    Awful. The worst film I have seen from The Criterion Collection. Completely misguided. Not an original idea in the writer's head. A complete waste of 99 minutes of my life. Hundreds of glaringly awful moments. Example: Her stating she hates foreign movies, the guy she likes agreeing with her, then later in the film she namedrops two foreign films. Argh.
  2. Jan 13, 2013
    I don't know why the user reviews are so mixed it's a beautifully simple movie where nothing much happens. Just about a girl living her life and all he mistakes that she makes and how she fixes them. It wasn't ground breaking but its an abstract artsy film that doesn't throw it in your face.
  3. Dec 4, 2012
    This movie had no theme, no motive and certainly no talent. The writing was dull and pointless and the acting was uncomfortable to watch. The only good thing was the production design and since it was her mother's house you can't give Lena Dunham any credit for that. The most pointless movie I've probably ever seen.
  4. j30
    May 9, 2012
    Tiny Furniture is just plain bad. There's some good material somewhere in this jumbled mess. It's hard to like Lena Dunham's character or any other character for that matter. I just watched the first two episodes of Girls, her new show on HBO, and it's really good. She has definitely improved her writing and direction in where she wants to go. As for Tiny Furniture, it feels like a patchTiny Furniture is just plain bad. There's some good material somewhere in this jumbled mess. It's hard to like Lena Dunham's character or any other character for that matter. I just watched the first two episodes of Girls, her new show on HBO, and it's really good. She has definitely improved her writing and direction in where she wants to go. As for Tiny Furniture, it feels like a patch work of self indulgent **** Expand
  5. JMH
    May 7, 2012
    Lena Dunham's debut feature Tiny Furniture is an emotionally well-tuned, rich, and often funny look at post-college aimlessness, as Aura (played by Dunham) returns home after graduating from college. (The home is her parents' home in Tribeca, and her mother and sister are played by her real-life mother and sister.) Given comparisons to Woody Allen in many reviews (and elsewhere), ILena Dunham's debut feature Tiny Furniture is an emotionally well-tuned, rich, and often funny look at post-college aimlessness, as Aura (played by Dunham) returns home after graduating from college. (The home is her parents' home in Tribeca, and her mother and sister are played by her real-life mother and sister.) Given comparisons to Woody Allen in many reviews (and elsewhere), I expected a funnier film. Tiny Furniture does deliver a number of comedic moments, but I found myself truly taken by the film's realism and pacing. The characters are sympathetic, believable, and almost instantaneously well-developed -- they ring true from the moment they enter they film. Dunham's slice of New York life is very much that -- a slice. And a seemingly personal one. People of independent means floating in a finely clustered Downtown world. It may not play in Peoria, but it plays well in New York, for New Yorkers of this world and generally, as most New Yorkers will know this world to some extent. The film's pacing adds to an already consistent tone that wistful and quirky. Dunham's voice and perspective are powerful, and apparent throughout the film. Dunham's voice is, foremost, fresh and inventive. Debut's of this quality are few and far between, especially from a filmmaker so young. There's immense pleasure and promise in this picture. Try it on for size. Expand
  6. Mar 11, 2012
    I really enjoyed this film. It was very entertaining, funny and smart. Probably not for your average "movie" watcher, so be warned. The relationships between the characters were fascinating to watch develop and dare I say "true to life". This film requires a couple hours of mind engagement, so if your not up to the investment then this film is probably not for you.
  7. Feb 20, 2012
    Up until this movie, I could count on one hand the number of movies I chose not to finish (though there are many more I wish I had chosen not to finish). So to be fair to the movie, I only saw the first 30 minutes. To be fair to me, I have seen literally (yes literally, not figuratively) thousands of movies and it has to be really bad for me not to finish it.
    I like independent movies and
    I like independent movies and I am patient with movies that don't appear to be going anywhere at first, I like movies where the actors look like average people and not movie stars. I was willing to overlook the self-indulgence, but the writing and the acting was so terrible it was too painful to watch any more. Much of the dailogue seemed to be ad-libbed which is great in the right hands but a disaster in the wrong hands such as these. It reminded me of an X-rated movie without the titillation.
    No doubt that Ms. Dunham has talent and hopefully she will find her voice and make a good movie, but this one wasn't it.
  8. Dec 30, 2011
    Lens Dunham's parents must be very well connected: first - there was the New Yorker profile; then Judd Apatow came a calling (HBO's development of "Girls"); 'Tiny Furniture' gets a reasonably overstated indie release; 'Tiny Furniture' is inaugurated into the Criterion Collection... (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
  9. Jan 21, 2011
    This was without a doubt one of the worst movies I've ever gone to see. The movie had very little direction and several times I almost walked out. I decided to stay until the end and the ending was just as bad as the film. Why the critics rated it as high as they did is beyond me. I feel if the movie was that good it would have been release to more than just a handful of theaters.This was without a doubt one of the worst movies I've ever gone to see. The movie had very little direction and several times I almost walked out. I decided to stay until the end and the ending was just as bad as the film. Why the critics rated it as high as they did is beyond me. I feel if the movie was that good it would have been release to more than just a handful of theaters. Save your money and stay home from this one.... Expand
  10. Jan 8, 2011
    After reading several reviews, noticing the unusual amount of praise being heaped upon this film, I eagerly seized my first chance to see it. I can honestly say that I am flabbergasted that this film is being so well received. Instead of a being a movie that "... is full, assured and extremely wry." as Michael Phillips wrote, the film truly is a loathsome exercise in self indulgence.
    Lena
    Lena Dunham's screenplay has all the bite and wit of an episode of "Days of Our Lives". When the rare occasion arises to show the audience a moment of true insight into the life of a frustrated youth stranded in post-grad limbo, it is dashed instantly by poor dialogue and unbelievable interactions with the director/stars actual family members. With all the independent films out there struggling to find an audience and distribution it is a shame to see this mess of a film reared its ugly head. A completely unsatisfying and frustrating 98 minutes.
  11. Dec 16, 2010
    After reading the reviews, I expected something more interesting. Although the camera work and editing were good, I found the characters hard to believe, even though the director/star's mother and sister played her mother and sister.

1. Reviewed by: Henry Barnes
    Mar 29, 2012
    Dunham, who pads through much of this extremely well-written, often funny and very touching film in the semi-nude, doesn't give a damn about any of it.
  2. Reviewed by: David Parkinson
    Mar 26, 2012
    Much-maligned it may be, but the so-called mumblecore movement continues to turn out gems. Lena Dunham's lo-fi, witty treatment of a semi-autobiographical tale adds another dozy to the canon.
  3. Reviewed by: Jamie Graham
    Mar 20, 2012
    Tiny Furniture announces Dunham as a talent to watch.