8.1

1. Mar 1, 2014
    Titanic is a great work accident of history's most famous ship, but this focuses more on love. It is great with good music, fun and even almost made me mourn, but the acting, this item failed. Titanic is a classic for a long time, your message or your greatest theme: love.
  2. Apr 15, 2014
    Titanic is a movie that made me extremely respect the director James Cameron. Titanic is a outstanding dramatic film and it made me understand how true love can th overcome fear of death.
  3. May 3, 2015
    the 2nd best box office film ever and It is a really good film. the charters are great the titanic looks real and not fake (titanic 2) it is just a good film.
  4. Jun 5, 2015
    titanic 1997 is an amazing romantic tragedy movie by james cameron
    where Jack and rose play a trejic role by ending jack's life.
    Awesome design and you really presnted it
    with important information. thanks admin.
  5. ConradR.
    Jul 9, 2001
    Visual masterpiece which is one of a few historical movies which actually gets the facts right. Unfortunately, the movie editing is bad, and a vital piece is cut out where Jack is helped up onto the first class deck - as portrayed in the movie: it is impossible for him to wander around the ship as he pleases.
  6. Mike
    Feb 14, 2005
    Great movie, from start to the ending. I was afraid that this movie would be boring, but it actually was very good.
    Nov 4, 2005
    T2 is more exciting, but Titanic is certainly worth a look. It certainly deserved Oscars, but maybe not eleven of them. It actually isn't boring...James Cameron proves himself versatile, as the movie flows along well...w/o fight sequences and battles in his action work. THe romance is actually well written...not too deep, but not phony or shallow, and for real, as it stands the test T2 is more exciting, but Titanic is certainly worth a look. It certainly deserved Oscars, but maybe not eleven of them. It actually isn't boring...James Cameron proves himself versatile, as the movie flows along well...w/o fight sequences and battles in his action work. THe romance is actually well written...not too deep, but not phony or shallow, and for real, as it stands the test of disaster. In fact, this movie's charaters HATE phoniness, in a way both girls and guys can relate too and embrace. James Horner's score was great, too. Expand
  8. ScaraB
    Aug 23, 2009
    A solid movie, but no doubt one of the most overrated movies of all time. If you have a male friend that loves this film, dig further for evidence of his actual masulinity.
  9. Nov 20, 2011
    The insanely long run time may shy some people away but this is a good film. I watched it numerous times on VHS when it first came out and I still enjoy it to this day (FYI - I am a guy).
  10. Oct 5, 2011
    The special effects and the intense tragedy of the sinking ship are well told, the romantic cut and paste story is cheese. Titanic is a good movie for sure but does show more than any other that its not the best movies that make the most money.
  11. Jun 9, 2013
    I remember watching this movie on VHS when it first came out and my sisters and I watched it twice in the first day we owned. A must see romance movie and suprisingly rather good.
  12. Nov 4, 2013
    "Titanic", another one of James Cameron's masterpieces, is a powerful and strongly acted romantic film. The use of CGI is great and the script is well-written. It did take some time to get going though.
  13. Aug 25, 2012
    Long sometimes and the character of Hockley is just a stereotypical bad guy, but that were already all the bad things about this movie. A masterpiece, that mixes a wonderful love story with fantastic special effects! Deserved all of the won Oscars!
  14. Jan 30, 2013
    This is one of those movies you either love or hate, well, most of the time. I don't love it, but I will say I liked it. As a typical love story it works, and the effects (at the time) were phenomenal. Leo became the pretty boy every straight guy hates with a passion (because he makes the rest of us look bad.) Plus a song that will stick in your head until the end of time (I bet you'reThis is one of those movies you either love or hate, well, most of the time. I don't love it, but I will say I liked it. As a typical love story it works, and the effects (at the time) were phenomenal. Leo became the pretty boy every straight guy hates with a passion (because he makes the rest of us look bad.) Plus a song that will stick in your head until the end of time (I bet you're thinking of it right now.) Seriously, I thought this movie achieved what it was intended to be: A tragic love story on the Titanic. It was funny when it was suppose to be funny, sappy when it was meant to be sappy. Sad when .... well you get the idea.Overall: A movie that well deserved the acclaim it got and will always be a classic, While I do have few minor issues with the movie, i generally enjoyed it. Expand
  15. Jan 8, 2013
    The 1912 boat conspiracy turns into a excellent movie called, well you guessed it "Titanic"! Titanic is a tragic tale about a rich lady and a young man who fall in love. Even though i was expecting it to be a disaster film like James Cameron usually dos this movie catches your heart like a beautiful song when the lady went on the tip of the Titanic. The only problem that made me -2 pointsThe 1912 boat conspiracy turns into a excellent movie called, well you guessed it "Titanic"! Titanic is a tragic tale about a rich lady and a young man who fall in love. Even though i was expecting it to be a disaster film like James Cameron usually dos this movie catches your heart like a beautiful song when the lady went on the tip of the Titanic. The only problem that made me -2 points was the fact that James Cameron lost most of the important bits like when the Titanic's splits into half. Expand
  16. May 6, 2013
    With the main plot predictable, bland full of laburios, the only thing really worth this film and Part 2, reporting accuracy and compliance with the anguish of all passengers on board, made ​​superbly by J.Cameron.
  17. Jun 25, 2015
    A very slightly blandish story. Just slightly, but James Cameron's "Titanic" still remains one of his best efforts with the help of some strong film-making.
  18. Jul 28, 2014
    Already a classic, Titanic achieved things that seemed impossible back in 1997 in terms of visual effects and technology. Even if the love story between Rose and Jack is not as intriguing as the historical premise, even if the script looks flat at times and the performances uninspired, it is truly an exceptional work that deserves to be considered a masterpiece. It is much easier toAlready a classic, Titanic achieved things that seemed impossible back in 1997 in terms of visual effects and technology. Even if the love story between Rose and Jack is not as intriguing as the historical premise, even if the script looks flat at times and the performances uninspired, it is truly an exceptional work that deserves to be considered a masterpiece. It is much easier to criticize it 17 years later, but it should not be forgotten how it touched people when it was first released. Expand
  19. Oct 18, 2014
    A fictional romantic tale of a rich girl (Winslet) and a poor bohemian boy (DiCaprio) who meet on the ill-fated voyage of the 'unsinkable' ship, the RMS Titanic.
  20. Mar 7, 2015
    Titanic is an unmatchable movie experience. It may have a mishmash romance,but after all cameron intended to make a movie on titanic and he wanted the viewers to 'go into' it, so he chose this love story. In tyat case titanic is bst movie ever
  21. Mar 13, 2015
    The first half of the movie did not win me over with the romance and the fact that nothing cool is happening. When the iceberg comes into play, is when the real movie begins. The way the movies is done during that part is intense but beautiful. Even though there is lots of destruction taking place, it still has that almost angelic feeling. Also because the movie is so long, it allows theThe first half of the movie did not win me over with the romance and the fact that nothing cool is happening. When the iceberg comes into play, is when the real movie begins. The way the movies is done during that part is intense but beautiful. Even though there is lots of destruction taking place, it still has that almost angelic feeling. Also because the movie is so long, it allows the audience to become attached to the love story surrounding Jack and Rose. Expand
  22. JohnT.
    Apr 6, 2002
    Certainly there have been films more desserving of 12 acadamy awards (The Lord of the Rings, Gosford Park, Ghost) but Titanic is an enjoyable, if an overly long experience.
  23. Aug 2, 2012
    The first half of this movie: boring. The second half of this movie actually defines the movie with amazing drama and special effects. Although this is one of the most popular movies of all time, some people cried with the main theme song that felt so emotional.
  24. May 31, 2011
    he number of times in this unbelievably badly-written script that the two [lead characters] refer to each other by name was an indication of just how dramatically the script lacked anything more interesting for the actors to say.Also, filmmaker Robert Altman called it "the most dreadful piece of work I've ever seen in my entire life
  25. Apr 1, 2011
    James Cameron's 1997 movie epic garnered instant acclaim upon release, grossed over 1 billion dollars at the box office (Avatar would beat this record over a decade later) and was given the dubious honor of being the most expensive production of all time. The plot tells of a poor steerage passenger named Jack Dawson who forms a romantic relationship with first class passenger Rose DeWittJames Cameron's 1997 movie epic garnered instant acclaim upon release, grossed over 1 billion dollars at the box office (Avatar would beat this record over a decade later) and was given the dubious honor of being the most expensive production of all time. The plot tells of a poor steerage passenger named Jack Dawson who forms a romantic relationship with first class passenger Rose DeWitt Bukater onboard the "unsinkable" RMS Titanic. The film focuses mainly on the relationship between the duo up until the point the great ship strikes an iceberg and sinks rapidly, transforming it into a typical big budget summer blockbuster that tries to be more than just popcorn entertainment. The acting is decent, with Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet giving dramatic performances that are fueled by the romance between the two. Billy Zane is also good as Cal Hockley, a wealthy tycoon who plans to marry Rose. Overall, the film is good but one major complaint must be addressed. I think that the film uses one of the greatest tragedies in history to its advantage just a bit too much. Of course, Cameron had been on dives to the real wreck of the actual ship himself during filming and was very much moved by it, but his feelings and emotions towards the events are not portrayed very well on film. As is typical with many Hollywood epics, a small proportion of the what happens during the sinking is historically inaccurate but apart from that it leaves an overwhelming sense of grief upon you. Actually, that grief may be the reason why the film has received so much backlash in recent years, because the first time you see it, men and women will get teary-eyed in the end, but after a number of times it just isn't the same and you wish you were seeing it for the first time instead. All in all, a masterpiece as a standalone disaster film but a tad disappointing as a historically accurate Titanic film. If you wish to see a factual version, the 1958 film A Night to Remember may be more your cup of tea. Expand
  26. Dec 22, 2011
    Far too long, Really drags on the film as long as it can until it can go no more. I enjoyed the film ,dont get me wrong, but the runtime killed me in the end. Acting was ok but no where near as impressive as the film's special effects.
  27. Aug 24, 2014
    Not my type of movie in any way, but surely the people who are into the everlasting story of love and tragedy enjoy it. After all, this is more about the affair of Rose (Kate Winslet) and Jack (Leonardo DiCaprio) than it is about one of the most famous ships of all time.

Titanic sank on her maiden voyage. A lot of people died - unnecessarily, perhaps. That's what most people know about the real events. I myself find that sometimes I just want to keep reading stories told by the survivors, to get the feel of things.

This movie has won a heap of awards since it was released, and not for nothing: the movie looks really good. The design of the boat was very beautiful and authentic looking, as were the clothes and other details seen in the film. It gives you a good, solid whiff of what it was like back in the day.

The story itself is structured quite nicely between past and present, although the present isn't quite as well detailed as the past. Rose, who survived the shipwreck, recounts her story to a group of avid listeners. For some reason they are mesmerized by the story of suffocating future and an alternative opportunity of adventure, although their interest simply lies on finding a valuable diamond and its fate.

Amazingly enough, the whole three hours that this movie lasts, and only the last hour or so focusing on the actual events of the sinking, the movie doesn't get boring. Although there isn't much going on in the beginning, there was just enough vibe going on to keep one looking and waiting for the inevitable. After all, we all know how the story ends before it even begins.
  28. Apr 14, 2012
    An achievement in visual filmmaking and a textbook case of overestimation. This film undeservedly cleaned up 1997's Academy Awards, due mostly to poor telecasts of prior ceremonies and bowing to public pressure. In reality, this movie deserved every technical award it could muster, and not a single one more. Picked up a best picture award over the much superior film L.A. Confidential.An achievement in visual filmmaking and a textbook case of overestimation. This film undeservedly cleaned up 1997's Academy Awards, due mostly to poor telecasts of prior ceremonies and bowing to public pressure. In reality, this movie deserved every technical award it could muster, and not a single one more. Picked up a best picture award over the much superior film L.A. Confidential. A good film with great visuals, but does not rank among the great films of our time. Expand
  29. Dec 13, 2014
    As a whole, Titanic is certainly a pretty good film. The strongest element of this is the production elements. While outdated by the time I watched it, for 1997 it is very good. In addition, the disaster sequences were brilliantly executed and put together to perfection. It reminded me positively of 1970's classics The Poseidon Adventure and The Towering Inferno. Both are seen as theAs a whole, Titanic is certainly a pretty good film. The strongest element of this is the production elements. While outdated by the time I watched it, for 1997 it is very good. In addition, the disaster sequences were brilliantly executed and put together to perfection. It reminded me positively of 1970's classics The Poseidon Adventure and The Towering Inferno. Both are seen as the pinnacle of disaster films and this one certainly echoes those and improves on them thanks to advancements in technology. In addition, the film certainly has its beautiful moments. While the romance may be poured on a little thick at times, it certainly really shines at times and makes you feel chills all over. Leonardo DiCaprio is also good as Jack Dawson, though he does falter at times, in large part due to poor writing. I did not like the writing for much of this one and the lines were laughable at times. In addition, Kate Winslet's performance left much to be desired. She had her moments where she was great, but when paired with a much stronger actor in DiCaprio, he left her in the dust far too often. The supporting cast was strong for the most part, however, which was good. As a whole, Titanic succeeds most in capturing the atmosphere and events surrounding the Titanic. Both the sinking and aftermath of it are brilliantly moving and engrossing, which stand as the best part of the film to me. It certainly has its negatives, but Titanic gets more negative reviews than it deserves due to the at times sappy and unbelievable romance element, which is too bad. Expand
  30. Dec 22, 2012
    A true cinematic masterpiece
  31. Feb 9, 2013
    The visuals are absolutely stunning, it could pass as raw footage of the cruiser sinking itself. But before all of the thrills and excitement, you're forced to deal with the lousy chemistry between the romantic protagonists.
  32. Mar 22, 2013
    Oh, James you made this then made the terrible Avatar, why. Titanic was great story, great acting, great music. I like the idea of a first class girl falling for a no class guy or low class guy. Its like the dream that fan girls have with getting Chris Brown, Nick Jonas, Trey Songz. and guys have with getting Vanessa Hudgens (ME), Beyonce, or Alicia Keys. The only real problem I andOh, James you made this then made the terrible Avatar, why. Titanic was great story, great acting, great music. I like the idea of a first class girl falling for a no class guy or low class guy. Its like the dream that fan girls have with getting Chris Brown, Nick Jonas, Trey Songz. and guys have with getting Vanessa Hudgens (ME), Beyonce, or Alicia Keys. The only real problem I and probably everyone else has for this movie is the length dammit James. I'm not gonna sit in the theater for 4hours. After I saw Avatar I was not gonna sit in the theater for it or Titanic again. Unesecarrly long films. Other then that its a good film. Yes with this really good review I give it a 7. Don't know why. Expand
  33. Feb 2, 2014
    The romance element in Titanic is undoubtely cheesy and sappy but the disaster scene provides a lot of impressive CGI and some emotional punch to counter its other minor flaws.
  34. Nov 10, 2014
  35. PatC.
    Jan 8, 2004
    The greatest button-pusher of all time. Gets away with being too long: Riveting storytelling and great editing. Who cares if it doesn't always ring true. Someone should. I do. It's not enough that so many drowned so long ago, now we're losing fine jewelry too. Will this tragedy ever end?
  36. NathanT
    Oct 24, 2006
    The idea that this was a better film than "L.A. Confidential" or the nominated "Boogie Nights" or "The Sweet Hereafter" is plain silly. But watching "Titanic" again for the first time in a few years, I was struck by how much of it does work. Unfortunately what does work is hampered at every turn by what doesn't. James Cameron doesn't let the British shine (this is an American The idea that this was a better film than "L.A. Confidential" or the nominated "Boogie Nights" or "The Sweet Hereafter" is plain silly. But watching "Titanic" again for the first time in a few years, I was struck by how much of it does work. Unfortunately what does work is hampered at every turn by what doesn't. James Cameron doesn't let the British shine (this is an American movie) and he can't resist the urge to do those cutesy references to the era of the film (and aren't we all so clever looking back knowing who Picasso is while the benighted fools aboard think he's doomed to be a starving artist?). Yet what works is the film's romance, as cornball and contrived as it may be. Far from Leonardo DiCaprio's best performance (that would be as Howard Hughes in the far, far superior "The Aviator"), Kate Winslet keeps the film afloat on her shoulders and provides a compelling reason to watch "Titanic" even as it sinks (literally). And remember how fashionable it was to say in 1997 that you only liked the last hour of it when all the 'cool' special effects take over? Regretfully there isn't enough heat in those dramatic closing scenes and the direction feels off for that material. But as the 1990s was the decade of the period piece winning the Best Picture prize ("American Beauty" and "Silence of the Lambs" notwithstanding), this predictably swept the Oscars that year. It's a decent, occasionally overwrought film that sold more tickets and ran for longer than it deserved to. But as a Best Picture winner, it's sandwiched in between one of the 1990s best films, "The English Patient" and the delightfully romantic "Shakespeare in Love". Those two are deserving of every second they ask of the viewer. Expand
  37. FrederickS.
    Jun 10, 2006
    The wettest and most hyped movie of all time.
  38. RobertC.
    Feb 25, 2004
    I do give at least one credit to Titanic...it's the most mysterious commericially wise. Like how a film like this could win nearly twice as much awards as works of art like The Godfather or Apocalyse Now. Was it really that good, or was the entire year a mediocre joke in cinematic history. How could a overly-expensive film starring merely a pretty face cause a whole list of fangirls I do give at least one credit to Titanic...it's the most mysterious commericially wise. Like how a film like this could win nearly twice as much awards as works of art like The Godfather or Apocalyse Now. Was it really that good, or was the entire year a mediocre joke in cinematic history. How could a overly-expensive film starring merely a pretty face cause a whole list of fangirls (whom are dead to me for making this successful) to make this an unbearable phenomenon. Bottom line is though it's an alright film, with great visuals and decent acting, there's no reason that is ever shouldn't been this large, for it honestly doesn't deserve a 10th of it's worldwide gross nor 11 Oscars. Expand
  39. Jake
    Dec 18, 2005
    Not all that bad, but definately not worth the 600 million at the box office and the 13 oscars. The film was very entertaining and visually stunning, but the romantic aspects of the film seemed both cliche and fabricated. It was pretty much Romeo and Juliet mixed with Lady and the Tramp. But the ending was amazing and gorgeous to look at. A lot like Pearl Harbor, i was disappointed that Not all that bad, but definately not worth the 600 million at the box office and the 13 oscars. The film was very entertaining and visually stunning, but the romantic aspects of the film seemed both cliche and fabricated. It was pretty much Romeo and Juliet mixed with Lady and the Tramp. But the ending was amazing and gorgeous to look at. A lot like Pearl Harbor, i was disappointed that hollywood could take horrible disaster and turn it into a mediocre romance flick. Ultimately entertaining, but left a whole lot to be desired! Collapse
  40. Oct 6, 2010
    After all these years, I regret contributing to Titanic's box office. Horrible story and characters. And is it just me, or does James Cameron just has to have sex in (almost) all of his movies? I think this movie deserves a 0, but I'm giving it a passing grade of 6 only becuase of: 1. 90s nostolgia 2. Great acting by Billy Zane, the only good actor in the movie 3. I admit, I love the songAfter all these years, I regret contributing to Titanic's box office. Horrible story and characters. And is it just me, or does James Cameron just has to have sex in (almost) all of his movies? I think this movie deserves a 0, but I'm giving it a passing grade of 6 only becuase of: 1. 90s nostolgia 2. Great acting by Billy Zane, the only good actor in the movie 3. I admit, I love the song sung by Celine Dion Expand
  41. Jan 12, 2014
    I Like 1997's Titanic, I Like It Because of James Cameron's Direction And Screenplay And James Horner's Score, It Was Roger Ebert's Ninth Best Film Of 1997, It Stayed At #1 At The Box Office For 15 Weeks And Had A 3D Reissue In 2012.
  42. Dec 20, 2012
    I love to hate this movie. I hate to love this movie. Titanic, is without question, long and doesn't get interesting until about 90 minutes into the movie. As much as i hate the song "My heart will go on" and on...and on...This didn't deserve best picture. It is by far not a classic. Still, this is a groundbreaking movie and should be crowned as a glorious movie, by all means, yes. I knowI love to hate this movie. I hate to love this movie. Titanic, is without question, long and doesn't get interesting until about 90 minutes into the movie. As much as i hate the song "My heart will go on" and on...and on...This didn't deserve best picture. It is by far not a classic. Still, this is a groundbreaking movie and should be crowned as a glorious movie, by all means, yes. I know why people hate it as well as love it. I go back and forth between loving and hating it with a passion. No idea why. The effects are just...un-freakin-believably good. I felt as if I was there. The lines are often cheesy, but...you do have to remember, you can't just have a movie about Titanic that spands 3 hours. That is why it is a love story. I'm not one for romance anyways. So, I understand if you think it's the greatest movie ever. I also understand if you think it's the worst. In some ways, I would love to give this movie a 3 a be done with it. But, I'm forgetting, that there is something special to this movie. Kate Winslet is great. I didn't like Leo Dicaprio, but again, the whole Jack character annoyed the hell out of me. Cameron, please DO NOT write movies. Expand
  43. Aug 31, 2013
    [6.9] It's a mostly good movie, but the romantic and suspenseful elements don't really work well together. It's also hard to create suspense when your audience knows what inevitably is going to happen. The movie would also be much better if it didn't include scenes from the present. It's quite an experience, it just isn't the most convincing one.
  44. Aug 10, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. a half decent film that definitely entertains with the first few watches, though it is a bit long. the thing for me was the fact neither Rose nor Jack seemed intent on beeping that horn in the car, that could have been done more, because it was a moment I felt slightly humored. Also, I'm sure there was enough space on that rafter for Jack to get on too, so it was his fault. But no, seriously, this is a film that I've regularly seen bring a tear to people's eyes. Expand
  45. Jun 25, 2015
    Cameron's disaster-to-come love story is as original as they come but overall is overrated and over hyped. It is visually impressive (Again, James Cameron) but when it comes to love stories, it tends to weigh on after the first hour. Titanic has three hours attached to it. Are they worthwhile? That's up to you as a viewer because everyone's viewpoint is different. For me, this film restsCameron's disaster-to-come love story is as original as they come but overall is overrated and over hyped. It is visually impressive (Again, James Cameron) but when it comes to love stories, it tends to weigh on after the first hour. Titanic has three hours attached to it. Are they worthwhile? That's up to you as a viewer because everyone's viewpoint is different. For me, this film rests as an above average love story with spectacular visuals. Expand
  46. RickJ.G.
    Jan 15, 2003
    The only aspects of this vastly overrated movie I enjoyed was David Warner as the villain body guard and the special effects. Warner simply makes a good villain and the movie is a visual achievement. I finally gave in and saw the film immediately after it won all those academy awards and, unlike the herd that loves this movie, I wasn't falling over myself to get back to the theater The only aspects of this vastly overrated movie I enjoyed was David Warner as the villain body guard and the special effects. Warner simply makes a good villain and the movie is a visual achievement. I finally gave in and saw the film immediately after it won all those academy awards and, unlike the herd that loves this movie, I wasn't falling over myself to get back to the theater and see it again and again. You don't need to spend $200 million to write a good screenplay. Instead we are subjected to a lame after-school romance special with lousy, contrived dialog. No wait, Jack tells Rose she's the most amazing person he has ever known! I hadn't heard that before. I was laughing at the silly proceedings by that point in the movie. I wish Rose had checked out on the deck at the beginning of the movie and not forced me to wait nearly three hours to finally see the ship sink sinking. Also, a little pipsqueak like DiCaprio does not make for a convincing street tough. Bad casting move. Romanticing life on the lower decks of the ship is a major blight on historical memory. Titanic is the best example in our time of wholesale bribery effectively used to buy a bunch of academy awards (None of them for the movie's acting, for obvious reasons). Expand
  47. AndrewM
    Nov 23, 2004
    I will admit, this film was already tainted in my eyes before I had seen it - before I had even seen the trailer. The reason: the whole premise of this film just rubs me the wrong way. It did when I first read about, it did when I watched it (the one and only time) and it continues to do so today. A fictional love story set aboard one of the greatest disasters the world has even seen... I will admit, this film was already tainted in my eyes before I had seen it - before I had even seen the trailer. The reason: the whole premise of this film just rubs me the wrong way. It did when I first read about, it did when I watched it (the one and only time) and it continues to do so today. A fictional love story set aboard one of the greatest disasters the world has even seen... Am I the only one a little put off by this notion?! If so, I am wholly comfortable with my solitude. It just strikes me as either poor judgement by the filmmakers, or a distinct lack of confidence on their part that this story could not be pulled off without a vicarious angle. Now I appreciate that the story of the famous ship and its fate was a large part of film...but let's be honest, it's not what the film was really about. It was the love story. The characters. Their story. And that's fine - or would have been, anywhere else! On a side note, the fact that Di Caprio was involved certainly didn't help things - he is one of the most overrated actors around. Winslet on the other hand was an asset, as were most of the supporting cast. The writing was impressive, at times memorable. The direction was as resolute as humanly possible. The costumes, the set decorations, the art direction, it's all grand and completely pertinent to the setting - but I can't get past the thought that this film would have been so much more respectable, and could have worked every bit as well, on a less infamous and melodramatic stage as the Titanic. I know many will say I'm missing the whole point: that this is fantasy set against a historical backdrop. If so, again, it just leaves me cold. The bottom line is that I give this film 5/5 for execution, and 0/5 for foundation; when I watch a film about the Titanic, just gimme the facts! Expand
  48. Sep 26, 2011
    "Titanic" has its glorious pictures, but director James Cameron forcefully brings tears to the audience with its cheesy dialogue and the overwhelming sole focus on the chemistry between the two main characters.
  49. May 13, 2013
    Ok, so the sequences where the ship was sinking could be very impressive, but the story is such pure 100% chick-flick sap, and the dialogue so corny, that no amount of grandeur, amazing visual effects, or Cameron's A game direction can save it. Why such a cheezy screenplay James? It's watchable and better than most chick flicks, but that really isn't saying much. I'm flying? I'm flying?Ok, so the sequences where the ship was sinking could be very impressive, but the story is such pure 100% chick-flick sap, and the dialogue so corny, that no amount of grandeur, amazing visual effects, or Cameron's A game direction can save it. Why such a cheezy screenplay James? It's watchable and better than most chick flicks, but that really isn't saying much. I'm flying? I'm flying? What the crap were you thinking when you wrote that part? Let's put this girl on some acid? Expand
  50. Jan 4, 2015
    hello highest grossing generic movie of all time. seriously this movie is my opinion is so painfully overrated that i could watch flowers grow and would not be as bored as this. Its too bad because the movie had this great disaster where hundreds of people die and what do they ficus on? The god damn romance. Guys you are not making an anime (which would be kinda awesome). so yeah it is anhello highest grossing generic movie of all time. seriously this movie is my opinion is so painfully overrated that i could watch flowers grow and would not be as bored as this. Its too bad because the movie had this great disaster where hundreds of people die and what do they ficus on? The god damn romance. Guys you are not making an anime (which would be kinda awesome). so yeah it is an overrated movie and in no **** way does it deserve to be the highest grossing film of all time Expand
  51. Mar 18, 2015
    Okay, now to be honest, this movie is fine but the mistakes or crap were:
    1. Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet make an awful couple.
    2. Some parts were boring. The only thing I like is the Ship R.M.S. Titanic sinking but I hate to see a lot of people died. The lines were okay. The graphics are great, especially in 3D. The characters were kinda dumb (except for the real people: Captain
    Okay, now to be honest, this movie is fine but the mistakes or crap were:
    1. Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet make an awful couple.
    2. Some parts were boring.
    The only thing I like is the Ship R.M.S. Titanic sinking but I hate to see a lot of people died. The lines were okay. The graphics are great, especially in 3D. The characters were kinda dumb (except for the real people: Captain Smith, Officers, John Jacob Astor, etc.) but dumb cause of awful couple.
  52. KellyE.
    Jun 1, 2005
    I found it too unbeliveable.
  53. Jaeq
    Jul 26, 2008
    There's Great, Good, Okay, Bad, and Terrible when it comes to movies, This one is somewhere between okay and bad, don't mean to be sexist, but many girls and women tend to see movies for other things than what they are, in this case, pretty boy leonardo decaprio in a 4 hour softcore porno, same idea with brokeback mountain , imagine a stupid chick flick that takes a 5/10, now There's Great, Good, Okay, Bad, and Terrible when it comes to movies, This one is somewhere between okay and bad, don't mean to be sexist, but many girls and women tend to see movies for other things than what they are, in this case, pretty boy leonardo decaprio in a 4 hour softcore porno, same idea with brokeback mountain , imagine a stupid chick flick that takes a 5/10, now put homsexual romance in it, goldmine. Expand
  54. Feb 10, 2013
    A silly unrealistic and inaccurate sappy love story. I never really have understood why it is so critically acclaimed. Luckily critics and people have seen this fact to (with it's scores that dropped on rotten tomatoes after it was re-released in 3D). A lot of people say that this film features a "classic" love story but there's nothing "classic" about it. Star-crossed lovers that couldn'tA silly unrealistic and inaccurate sappy love story. I never really have understood why it is so critically acclaimed. Luckily critics and people have seen this fact to (with it's scores that dropped on rotten tomatoes after it was re-released in 3D). A lot of people say that this film features a "classic" love story but there's nothing "classic" about it. Star-crossed lovers that couldn't ever be together due to society and a tragic ending resulting the death of one of them. Sound a bit familiar? it should. No, not every aspect of Titanic is horrible. It's visually amazing for one but that's its sole redeeming quality for me. I'm sorry but this did NOT deserve best picture. Expand
  55. SteveT.
    Jun 27, 2001
    Possibly the worst movie I have ever seen in my life. Visually, it's a masterpiece. But the screenplay/story is just horrible. The f-word was never said during that decade and I hate the way Rose was in cold water for over 30 minutes and somehow never had hypothermia. Another thing is that 1st class people would never even think of talking or be seen with lower class people. There Possibly the worst movie I have ever seen in my life. Visually, it's a masterpiece. But the screenplay/story is just horrible. The f-word was never said during that decade and I hate the way Rose was in cold water for over 30 minutes and somehow never had hypothermia. Another thing is that 1st class people would never even think of talking or be seen with lower class people. There wasn't even a way for the low class people to go the deck! Main point is watch the movie with the volume down and watch about 10 minutes and that's it. Expand
  56. Isabel
    Jul 1, 2002
    This was one of the few movies I ever walked out on. I never fail to be stupified by those who like this silly thing. With a horrendous script and lame acting, this movie commits the egregious sin of taking an actual heartwrenching event and turning it into sentimental Hollywood mush.
  57. May 13, 2013
    The story of the Titanic is well known and so the backing plot will not come as a surprise. However the Writers thought that they had to MAKE a story to make the film. This consisted in a Terrible Love story, Weak characters and a stupid run time. The performances, cinematography and special effects were good. But the character development was rubbish and I really did not get emotionalThe story of the Titanic is well known and so the backing plot will not come as a surprise. However the Writers thought that they had to MAKE a story to make the film. This consisted in a Terrible Love story, Weak characters and a stupid run time. The performances, cinematography and special effects were good. But the character development was rubbish and I really did not get emotional involved with anyone. There was no real suspense which I know can be done in a film like this if the characters get under your skin. I would have prefered to stay more with the people who were left to die rather than see the film through the eyes of the Gentry aboard the HMS Titanic. The scene with Rose and Jack and the painting... What was the point? did we need to have it other than just to make it news worthy. I cannot believe that this film grossed as much as it did. People went Back to see it. Was there something they missed? Maybe they went back to search for a plot but that went down with the ship. Expand
  58. Sep 2, 2011
    Oh do I hate this movie!!! Why did it have to center on a sappy love story? And why so formulaic? And why such a terrible script? And why such over the top and upfront heartbreak? AND WHY BEST PICTURE???
  59. Jun 6, 2012
    11 Oscars? Why? While James Cameron's "Titanic" certainly delivers as a visual feast and a breakthrough in set design, it is bogged down by a predictable love story without anything new brought to the tired formula. The real stories of the real people and real heroism on board the ship are shamelessly ignored, and sometimes offensively twisted, in the film's portrayal of the Titanic's11 Oscars? Why? While James Cameron's "Titanic" certainly delivers as a visual feast and a breakthrough in set design, it is bogged down by a predictable love story without anything new brought to the tired formula. The real stories of the real people and real heroism on board the ship are shamelessly ignored, and sometimes offensively twisted, in the film's portrayal of the Titanic's First Officer, Lieutenant William Murdoch. So offensively in fact, the film's production staff had to apologise to the entire town where Murdoch grew up. What's worse, is that this film has become synonymous with the real story of the Titanic. So, a real story of Human sacrifice, heroism, bravery and selflessness in the face of impending death has been supplanted by a third-rate teeny-bopper love story. Great. Expand
  60. Apr 5, 2015
    Maybe the most overrated movie ever. Special effects meet a dopey screenplay and bad acting. The plot: Kate Winslet's boyfriend gets her the biggest diamond in the world, and takes her to NYC in the biggest stateroom in the biggest ocean liner in the world. She pays him back by banging a guy from steerage in front of all his friends. What a trollop. The only disappointment is thatMaybe the most overrated movie ever. Special effects meet a dopey screenplay and bad acting. The plot: Kate Winslet's boyfriend gets her the biggest diamond in the world, and takes her to NYC in the biggest stateroom in the biggest ocean liner in the world. She pays him back by banging a guy from steerage in front of all his friends. What a trollop. The only disappointment is that this cheap whore didn't go down with the boat. Love story? Only if you think a cheating tramp is a heroine. Expand
  61. AndraB.
    Jun 8, 2002
    ..and it's a generous grade, inspired by the fx (even if we've seen better in Matrix, Haunted, etc). The subject: another unhappy love story (plenty of them since Romeo & Juliet), but we accept it. The message: very uncertain (maybe 'fate is irevocable', maybe 'carpe diem', maybe 'life goes on', maybe 'love is blind' or 'love never ..and it's a generous grade, inspired by the fx (even if we've seen better in Matrix, Haunted, etc). The subject: another unhappy love story (plenty of them since Romeo & Juliet), but we accept it. The message: very uncertain (maybe 'fate is irevocable', maybe 'carpe diem', maybe 'life goes on', maybe 'love is blind' or 'love never dies') but we accept it. But the contradictions, the sense of incomplete, the horrid-acting of Leonardo something and the fat miss with red hair, the way action develops, those pathetic love scenes ... that's hard to accept from a film quoted .... 11 Academy Award nominees??? No more comments. Expand
  62. BrunoM.
    May 19, 2005
    I don't like romance.
  63. JimG.
    Nov 28, 2005
    Muzak for the eyes. Tedious, vacuous, schmaltz.
  64. Aug 14, 2013
    The main reason everybody likes this movie is because of the last 30 minutes where the boat sinks, it's awesome but that means the rest of the movie is irrelevant. Leonardo Di Caprio and Kate Winslet are a terrible couple and the only chemistry is between the ship and the iceberg.
  65. stephens.
    Jul 3, 2005
    Actually the rating should be a 2 or 3, but considering this won Oscars, a 1 or zero is appropriate. The absolute worst "best film" On a par with such other successful stinkers such as Forrest Gump and Deer Hunter.
  66. ChrisR.
    Jul 7, 2001
    Cameron takes one of the most dramatic stories in history and turns it into an hackneyed third-rate fictional soap opera. Poorly written, acted and directed it represents the worst of major Hollywood film making.
  67. StephenB.
    Dec 26, 2008
    Mr. Cameron started his career by establishing himself as a great science-fiction writer/director, able to simultaneously be exciting and smart. He delievered on that promise with the two "Terminator" films and the completely awesome "Aliens". In fact, in some jurisdictions, not liking "Aliens" is considered a criminal act. However, having proved his talent at greatness, he decided to Mr. Cameron started his career by establishing himself as a great science-fiction writer/director, able to simultaneously be exciting and smart. He delievered on that promise with the two "Terminator" films and the completely awesome "Aliens". In fact, in some jurisdictions, not liking "Aliens" is considered a criminal act. However, having proved his talent at greatness, he decided to switch gears and try sucking for a change. And so we have... this... abomination. Gone are the great writing and pacing that anchored his previous sci-fi outings, instead replaced with a laughable script, incessant repetition and miscasting galore. There are no characters, just cardboard cutouts. The historic mistakes are mind-boggling. Even composer James Horner turns in a huge pile of cliched, faux-"romantic" gloop, all the more travesty if you remember he did the rousing score of "Aliens". Yes, the SFX is good and probably the only part of the film I will ever find anything positive to say. I have no idea why the director abandoned the niche he was most successful in for another where he fails. The final impression: "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit". Expand
  68. LawrenceY.
    Dec 29, 2008
    If you like disaster films, this is the film for you. But if you dont like to see love in a disaster film, just leave this one alone.
  69. Mar 17, 2015
    This movie generally sucked. It is the most overrated movie of all time next to Frozen, Toy Story 3 and The Social Network. The script, acting, love story and characters are all complete garbage. The visuals and Titanic sinking part are kinda cool though. Stay away from this movie. And why did it win 11 oscars?!
  70. ChrisB.
    Jul 5, 2007
    Worst movie ever made. Were it not for Kate Winslet being naked for a couple of minutes, I'd have gouged my eyes out. There probably would have been a class-action lawsuit against James Cameron because his movie caused blindness due to eye-gouging had Kate Winslet not been naked. It's a bullshit romance. Go watch Rambo or something if you want to see a real movie. You know, one Worst movie ever made. Were it not for Kate Winslet being naked for a couple of minutes, I'd have gouged my eyes out. There probably would have been a class-action lawsuit against James Cameron because his movie caused blindness due to eye-gouging had Kate Winslet not been naked. It's a bullshit romance. Go watch Rambo or something if you want to see a real movie. You know, one where there's no character development and shit gets blown up because it's awesome. Expand
  71. JamsB.
    Jun 24, 2008
    I would have given it about a 5 as it is an average try-hard hollywood blockbuster but the fact that you see Kate Winslet's horrible naked body makes it a zero.
  72. TS
    Jul 26, 2009
    Along with Braveheart and Forrest Gump, one of the worst Oscar winners of all time. Pure turgid drivel. A chick flick for the mentally defective.
  73. GaborA.
    Feb 17, 2004
    Remains at the top of my refuse to see list.
  74. Robert
    Dec 26, 2002
    Quite possibly one of the most boring, overblown, overlong movies I have ever seen in my life. The movie simply was not interesting at all, and it ran far too long. 3 hour running times are fine if there is actually an interesting plot, but this was just horribly boring.
  75. Aug 30, 2011
    James, James, James. Why did you have to be the one to direct this **** on the face of America. Titanic is a romanticisation of the Titanic tragedy. Kate and Leo do a relatively good job acting, but that's because they're the only thing saving the movie from sinking on the review charts like the Titanic. I mean, I respect James and all, but this movie was the god-damn black sheep of them.

You don't just watch Titanic, you experience it.
  2. No amount of excellent period costuming and brilliant set decoration can substitute for a good story and decent acting.
  3. The first half drags a bit, but the adventure scenes are exciting and the visual effects are as dazzling as Hollywood's most advanced technology can make them. Focusing as much on time and memory as on danger and disaster, it's an epic with a heart.