8.1

Jul 18, 2004
    This film touched my heart. This heart-warming teacher brought back many fond memories of when I was 6 and I had a similar teacher who was like him. I have now left school but I look back at that time in my life as something really special. I am now training to be a teacher. This film inspired me a lot. Thank you Jesus Christ for the teachers who touch students lives.
    Sep 28, 2003
    Touching, funny and warm. A fantastic documentary.
  3. FrancineH.
    Jan 24, 2007
    Warm and wonderful! It is the kind of movie that inspires and entertains. Georges Lopez is a gentle, kind, wise man with a heart for his students' successes. Lovely man and lovely film.
  4. SteveF.
    Mar 11, 2008
    A feast for the eyes, mind, and heart. It is hard to imagine a better teacher, or a film better at catching the mystery of teaching.
  5. TomB.
    Feb 26, 2005
    I felt a sense of longing for my childhood and the hope that one day my own children can have the same experience these children have in this film.
  6. Leigh
    Apr 10, 2005
    Be patient. It starts slow, but you bond with the film to the point where you have small tears at true empathy, patients, and love . It is also a remainder how hard growing up was!
  7. SAhn
    Nov 7, 2003
    A lovely movie. Sweetness and kindness abound in Lopez along with a firm determination to lead the children down the right path. He is the kind of teacher you wish you had.
  8. JoshuaD.
    Dec 8, 2003
    This is pretty much a perfect film.
  9. AnnP.
    Sep 22, 2005
    I a long-time teacher, and I fell in love with the entire class - students and teacher.
  10. AnnP.
    Sep 22, 2005
  11. MichaelW.
    Nov 27, 2003
    This is just an amazingly beautiful and sensitive film. Its story is told with grace.
  12. Jun 18, 2012
    [Simple but deeply touching, Magical sense of warmth, Graceful, Emotional absorbing]
    The sense of simpliness, incnocence and truthfulness astonishingly constructs one of the most unique and incredibly heart-warming films ever created. A Remarkable Accomplishment in the World of Film.
  13. Oct 26, 2014
    This movie is beautiful in so many ways - the main character's unaffected and honest way of communicating with the kids, the charming setting, the melancholic feel of knowing that this is the final year of so so many for the teacher/ protagonist. If you need something to watch that will make you feel warm and fuzzy (and perhaps shed a tear) look no further - a beautifully executed filmThis movie is beautiful in so many ways - the main character's unaffected and honest way of communicating with the kids, the charming setting, the melancholic feel of knowing that this is the final year of so so many for the teacher/ protagonist. If you need something to watch that will make you feel warm and fuzzy (and perhaps shed a tear) look no further - a beautifully executed film about a wonderful man that will fill you with hope, no matter how cynical you may feel. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Noel Murray
    Sep 23, 2014
    This movie is a portal, leading to a living museum of childhood at its most poignant.
  2. The emotional honesty of this movie rescues it from sentimentality. To Be and to Have is about more than a dedicated teacher and his pupils; it’s about how difficult and exhilarating it is to grow into an adult.
  3. Reviewed by: Lisa Nesselson
    Any negative stereotypes viewers might harbor about education in rural communities are sent packing by this magnificently lensed and cumulatively touching account from documaker Nicolas Philibert.