6.2

1. Jul 15, 2012
    Wasn't expecting much based on reviews, but love Woody, and loved this movie - even more than Midnight in Paris. A lovable cast of characters, unique and creative storyline, and beautiful views of Rome. All in all, delightful! >^..^
  2. Sep 23, 2012
    Underestimated, at the age of 76 it's amazing to see that he's still acting and directing. Funny, entertaining and refreshing it seems as though woody allen's witty story writing skills are certainly still there. All of the stories where very amusing and an accurate portrayal of the italian culture(I'm italian). Definitely worth a watch. My only criticism if more of the character'sUnderestimated, at the age of 76 it's amazing to see that he's still acting and directing. Funny, entertaining and refreshing it seems as though woody allen's witty story writing skills are certainly still there. All of the stories where very amusing and an accurate portrayal of the italian culture(I'm italian). Definitely worth a watch. My only criticism if more of the character's stories intermingled more for example it would have been amusing to see woody allen act along side Roberto Begnini. Expand
  3. Jun 23, 2012
    Much funnier than Midnight in Paris. It may not be a better movie, but the latter put me to sleep. The best way for me to describe the experience is "light comedy" - I certainly laughed, and Alec Baldwin's role is pitch perfect. Even though I like Ellen Page, she maied this one in. And Greta Gerwig is really just a space filler. Judy Davis does a nice job playing off of Woody. Great toMuch funnier than Midnight in Paris. It may not be a better movie, but the latter put me to sleep. The best way for me to describe the experience is "light comedy" - I certainly laughed, and Alec Baldwin's role is pitch perfect. Even though I like Ellen Page, she maied this one in. And Greta Gerwig is really just a space filler. Judy Davis does a nice job playing off of Woody. Great to see her in another film. Expand
  4. Jul 2, 2012
    No question that Woody is on a roll lately. This is the funniest movie since "Whatever Works", and a throwback to his fantasy farcical films such as "A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy", "Alice", or "Purple Rose of Cairo" (the latter being his masterpiece in this genre). I saw this at a theater that was probably 3/4 full and people were laughing loudly throughout. It was wonderful to seeNo question that Woody is on a roll lately. This is the funniest movie since "Whatever Works", and a throwback to his fantasy farcical films such as "A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy", "Alice", or "Purple Rose of Cairo" (the latter being his masterpiece in this genre). I saw this at a theater that was probably 3/4 full and people were laughing loudly throughout. It was wonderful to see Woody in one of his films again and he got some of the biggest laughs himself. My only criticism, a small one, was the singing in the shower sequence on stage went on a little too long. The acting throughout was fine, and I wish Judy Davis would have been used more - she stole every small scene she was in as Woody's wife. Penelope Cruz was also a standout for me, along with Roberto Benigni. A must see for fans of Woody Allen. I also should mention the film was beautiful to look at. Filmed with a warm color palette, Rome looked exquisite, both the interior and exterior shots. Also, much of the film is in Italian with subtitles which actually added a realism that I enjoyed. Expand
  5. Jul 1, 2012
    This is an enjoyable movie, although not a great one. An average Woody Allen movie is much better than many of the movies critics rave about. There is no one who can play Woody Allen better than Woody, and it is good to see him back. Some of the scenes are hilarious and the dialogue is sharp and witty. Plus as in most of Allen's movies, he really makes you want to visit the city inThis is an enjoyable movie, although not a great one. An average Woody Allen movie is much better than many of the movies critics rave about. There is no one who can play Woody Allen better than Woody, and it is good to see him back. Some of the scenes are hilarious and the dialogue is sharp and witty. Plus as in most of Allen's movies, he really makes you want to visit the city in which it takes place. However, it was a little disconcerting that the 3 or so different story lines never came together, and just followed their own separate paths. Even though it probably isn't Allen's best film, it is certainly enjoyable and worth seeing. Expand
  6. Jul 1, 2012
    LMAO with this movie, loved every character! Much better than Midnight in Paris, with much better cast and story (or should I say stories?) ! I really love the new Woody Allen and every movie he made on the last years. This one sits as my favourite along Whatever Works. The man is really stronger when it comes to comedy, and is great to see the man back on front of the cameras.
  7. MJT
    Jul 7, 2012
    I agree with someone else who said that this may not be a better film than Midnight in Paris, but it is just as enjoyable, maybe more so. It's a very light comedy--and I think it's more clever than the critics are saying. The acting is terrific. I'd say give it a try and enjoy your short trip to Rome.
  8. Jul 10, 2012
    Woody Allen is never bad,but in To Rome with love he is not as good as he was in his previous film ,but it does not mean this movie is not good ,it is just not as good as it could be.
  9. Sep 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In one word, "Wow." Unlike some of what we see from Woody Allen, this won't be one of his memorable films that we will look back at in years to come. Despite that, however, the creation that Allen gave us is absolutely touching on a personal level.

This lovely film guides us along with the stories of four groups of people. With these groups, we are able to experience their love, lies, shenanigans, dreams, and problems.

Without wanting to give too much away, I'd like to talk about Alec Baldwin's role in the movie. I'm somewhat unsure of where he fits and why he fits. Although he falls in line with one of the stories in the movie, he himself is also separate from it.

Part of me feels like that his character wasn't even real. Apart from a scene in the beginning of the movie, he is only ever acknowledged by Jesse Eisenberg's character in the film. He seems to follow Eisenberg and his two co-stars, who play his girlfriend and his girlfriend's friend, around but never actually has a physical interaction with the surroundings or people, except for Eisenberg. Despite all of this, however, it somehow works, and I find this story line to be the most interesting.

"To Rome With Love," is definitely worth the watch!
  10. Oct 3, 2012
    A cena de abertura de Para Roma com Amor evoca imediatamente Mighty Aphrodite (1995) e os seus peculiares separadores, entoados por um coro da Grécia antiga. Não passa de uma leve evocação, mas as histórias introduzidas por aquele polícia sinaleiro dá o mote para o tom descontraído que o filme adopta, num estilo ligeiramenteA cena de abertura de Para Roma com Amor evoca imediatamente Mighty Aphrodite (1995) e os seus peculiares separadores, entoados por um coro da Grécia antiga. Não passa de uma leve evocação, mas as histórias introduzidas por aquele polícia sinaleiro dá o mote para o tom descontraído que o filme adopta, num estilo ligeiramente aproximado das novelas do Decameron de Bocaccio. O filme é no fundo uma antologia de várias histórias que em nenhum momento se conectam, mas que se encontram conectadas por um tema: um deles, o contexto espacial da cidade de Roma (não caiamos em críticas desnecessárias: é obviamente feita pela visão de um estrangeiro e, logo, repleto de lugares comuns da cidade), o outro, bem mais complexo, o culto da celebridade e das aparências. Aparentemente muito mais inconsequente e ligeiro que os seus trabalhos anteriores, a crítica que Woody Allen faz neste trabalho é, apesar de por vezes formatada e quase moralista, muito maior. Ao construir a comédia com base nestas pequenas histórias, cria também uma crítica enorme à sociedade sempre com as habituais temática do cineasta alienado, artista, intelectual desajeitado, hipocondríaco. O que não deixa de ser curiosamente, num filme onde o cineasta se retrata também como actor: vermos múltiplos Woody Allen nas personagens de cada vinheta é estranho (algo mais habitual nos filmes onde não actua), mas não deixa de ser também um processo curioso de um autor que se desconstrói e se refugia na ficção que escreve (temática que curiosamente tinha abordado com mestria em Deconstructing Harry).

O que temos então em Para Roma com Amor? Uma série de gags, uns mais bem conseguidos que outros, com uma ligeireza pouco habitual no cinema de Woody Allen, mas curiosamente bem simpáticos de assistir e pouco cansativos. Um tipo de humor que parece ligeiro demais ambientado num cartão-postal cliché, repleto de um humor non sense e surrealista que é simultaneamente delicioso, mas também severamente crítico da sociedade contemporânea. Essa crítica pode ser mais visível no retrato de um Roberto Benigni - actor ícone italiano, da perspectiva de um estrangeiro - com o seu humor mais físico, mas com uma história tão interessante e oportuna, especialmente quando olhamos para as revistas ou para os especiais televisivos de "última hora". Mas é também notável naquele que é provavelmente a melhor das vinhetas, protagonizada pelo próprio Woody Allen e Judy Davis e um cantor lírico que só é bom no chuveiro (afinal todos cantamos bem no chuveiro) e que é a síntese de todo o filme. Ou aquele em que Alec Baldwin é um grilo falante, uma espécie de consciência física, numa história em que Ellen Page parece a síntese do pseudo-intelectual, mas que simultaneamente parece partir em defesa da mensagem do cineasta. E embora recicle morais cliché, com personagens unidimensionais e estereotipadas (admitimos), é também um filme consciente do seu carácter cartoonesco e da sua entoação moralista e de quase fábula. Mas é também um cineasta despreocupado da apreciação externa, mas que continua crítico como sempre foi e que se faz valer da própria história para se retratar, como por exemplo naquela excelente troca de diálogos entre duas personagens (interpretadas por Jesse Eisenberg e Alec Baldwin): «- Com a idade chega a sabedoria. - Com a idade chega a exaustão».
  11. Jul 20, 2013
    This movie has its flaws like most movies but I liked it for the most part.The things I didn`t like are mostly a couple actors Ellen page and Jesse Eisenberg. I hate every movie the two are in, so in the same movie ouch, but they did ok. I liked where the movie is located and found most of it interesting.I liked the parts with Alessandra Mastronardi, but the best was the character RobertoThis movie has its flaws like most movies but I liked it for the most part.The things I didn`t like are mostly a couple actors Ellen page and Jesse Eisenberg. I hate every movie the two are in, so in the same movie ouch, but they did ok. I liked where the movie is located and found most of it interesting.I liked the parts with Alessandra Mastronardi, but the best was the character Roberto Benigni played really funny stuff lol Expand
  12. Aug 13, 2013
    Delightfully funny! The characters in this movie are the highlight and this talented cast really brought out the best in them. Penelope Cruz left me in tears, from laughter, of course. I had to read the English subtitles throughout the movie and still found it hilarious. Good one, Woody, good one!

1. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Sep 16, 2012
    Baldwin has some brilliant moments as he icily dismisses Monica's posturing: his final closeup – heavy-lidded, undeceived – is fascinating and rather chilling.
  2. Reviewed by: Lorien Haynes
    Sep 10, 2012
    More madness in the midday sun than Midnight In Paris. Baldwin, Cruz and Davis shine in a farce that overstretches itself into bellylaugh hits, but also some satirical misses.
  3. Reviewed by: Philip Kemp
    Sep 1, 2012
    Four trivial stories, forced laughs: don't expect much more from Allen's latest postcard from Europe.