Tokyo Godfathers

8.0

1. ChadS.
    Jul 6, 2005
    Even the most ardent xenophobe has to concede that the exteriors in "Tokyo Godfathers" have astonishing composition and beauty. And then there's the story, so sophisticated(for a cartoon), it's like watching a live-action film that happens to be animated. Satoshi Kon's characters have interior lives. They're so believable, and because my generation was raised on Hanna Even the most ardent xenophobe has to concede that the exteriors in "Tokyo Godfathers" have astonishing composition and beauty. And then there's the story, so sophisticated(for a cartoon), it's like watching a live-action film that happens to be animated. Satoshi Kon's characters have interior lives. They're so believable, and because my generation was raised on Hanna Barbera and Filmation offerings, we add, condescendingly, for a cartoon. They even have flashbacks. Expand
  2. JeffT.
    Jun 3, 2006
    Half these critics don't know squat. One of the best movies in recent years that's not just extremely entertaining... it also stays with you. You owe it to yourself to watch it.
  3. ck
    Nov 7, 2004
    It makes us reevaluate the worth of a human being, those three outsiders are as human as anyone else, they were all once born as a precious baby into this world.
  4. BruceB.
    Jan 22, 2004
    Excellent movie, with humor, pathos and a (subtle) social message. Should make anyone a believer in anime as an artform.
  5. RichardP.
    Nov 21, 2004
    It was a nice, full on movie.
  6. BrandonB.
    May 22, 2004
    This movie was very good. It has lots of good aspects such as comedy and its good for any anime fan. Although it was nowhere as near as good as Miyazaki's Spirited away.
  7. Dec 31, 2014
    "Tokyo godfathers" tells you a better story about family, love, people and life in 1h 32 than all of the movie on these subject made by DreamWorks Animation, 20th century Fox and Universal put together, for a 100th of what one of their movie costs.
    It's simple, the first time I saw that film, I left the theater and felt much lighter than I was when I stepped in.
  8. Dec 22, 2014
    Being a story of love, human kindness, and friendship; Tokyo Godfathers seamlessly integrates its themes within a loving, emotional, and spirited Christmas tale.

1. Reviewed by: D. W. Smith
    The story takes some kooky turns and, at times, delves into the supernatural.
  2. Reviewed by: Richard James Havis
    It's a touching movie that, like the best animes, transcends the limitations of the genre.
  3. Reviewed by: Ken Eisner
    With its masterful grasp of comedy, pathos, social commentary and mystical weirdness, Tokyo Godfathers takes anime to a whole new level.