7.5

1. CherylC.
    Jan 21, 2006
    What an extraordinary evocation of an era, the theater and the creative process generally. A thoroughly enjoyable, wonderfully well done production!
  2. J.Martinez
    May 28, 2004
    Topsy Turvy is a pretty good movie. The first time I saw it, true I did think it was a little boring, but after I saw it a second time I started getting all the underline themes, symbolism, and politically incorrectness of that time period, that I didn't see the first time around. Plus the music was sung beautifully.
  3. YoonC.
    Sep 21, 2003
    Mike Leigh's best film and all the more welcome for not being another kitchen sink working class drama in which Britons have cornered the market. Richly textured, somber and intelligent, celebratory but cautiously and keenly insightful into the workings of a priveleged society stuffily defined by class. At its best, one of the best portrayals of the interaction of art, cultures, Mike Leigh's best film and all the more welcome for not being another kitchen sink working class drama in which Britons have cornered the market. Richly textured, somber and intelligent, celebratory but cautiously and keenly insightful into the workings of a priveleged society stuffily defined by class. At its best, one of the best portrayals of the interaction of art, cultures, commerce, egos, chance, and myriad other factors that miraculously come together to produce what we call grand entertainment. Has none of the cheapshots or populist panderings of, say, Amadeus. A triumph, one of the greatest films ever. Expand
  4. SabrinaD.
    Sep 9, 2003
    I thought this movie was quite boring and stupid.
  5. KimS.
    Dec 6, 2002
    Beautiful -detail, costumes, artistic verisimilitude.....
  6. CharlesD.
    Nov 15, 2002
    The best movie I've ever seen about the process of making musical theater.
    Jan 6, 2002
    BORING!

Topsy-Turvy is flawless, borne along by a savagely witty screenplay that Leigh directs like the gears of a clock.
  2. Thoroughly researched, unobtrusively upholstered, this beautifully assured entertainment about Victorian England is a string of delights.
    We never seem to be looking at actors, but at people; never at scenes, but at life unrehearsed.