Tortilla Heaven

1. MariaL.
    Mar 19, 2007
    This movie is inspirational. Finally we see Latinos not as maids and drug dealers but as people. This film is about community, food and faith! I loved it and so did my boyfriend.
  2. EricaC.
    Mar 19, 2007
    What a great movie! It made me laugh, cry and very hungry!!!!!!!!!
  3. DelfineZ.
    Mar 20, 2007
    Tortilla Heaven is a whimsical family tale set in a small Mexican-American town in New Mexico. There is not another film like this one out there. Let's all support this movie!
  4. AnaR.
    Mar 19, 2007
    Tortilla Heaven made me hungry for my mom's food! I loved this movie. Very magic and fun. And what a great cast and music!!! Two thumbs up -- me and my boyfriend!
  5. PeterL.
    Jun 3, 2007
    These reviews are hilariously fake. I feel sorry for filmmakers who are so desperate for someone to see their movie that they resort to leaving positive reviews on Metacritic, a site that reports that anyone with half a brain in their head hates the flick. Sorry guys, this movie is totally worthless.
  6. MartaG.
    Mar 18, 2007
    This movie is magical and beautiful! I loved the acting and the actors. It was amazing to see all those brown faces in a movie. Everyone is Latin or Native American. We all need to go see the movie.
  7. AnnS.
    Mar 25, 2007
    What a sweet movie. In these cynical times its nice to see a movie that has a good message. Loved all our favorite actors like George Lopez and Miguel Sandoval.
  8. JayH.
    Oct 11, 2008
    Sillier than it needs to be, sporadically amusing but it has a good cast. Poor score. The writing is below average. It was watchable, but also quite forgettable.
  9. LJR
    Dec 25, 2010
    Excellent film. Engaging, entertaining with a coherent and compelling point of view. This film is a comedy and works as a comedy but it is artful and among the best cinema of recent years. It deserves to be taken seriously but its somewhat "subversive" view of contemporary society seems to be inviting marginalization by newspaper and magazine critics. That is a shame.

If it was simply a jokey commentary on the dangers of greed and religious fervor, Tortilla Heaven would be forgivable. But Hecht Dumontet deserves special derision for her hypocritical condescension toward Falf├║rrias' simple-folk caricatures, rendering them as God-fearing dolts worthy of scorn until the patronizing finale, which tries for a spiritual uplift that's as disingenuous as it is incompetently executed.
  2. The film and its makers simply try too hard. Director and co-writer Judy Hecht Dumontet can't stop "helping" with overactive editing and scoring, such as tinkling bells every time the sacred tortilla is shown early on.
  3. Reviewed by: Justin Chang
    As flat as a tortilla and considerably less nourishing.