5.9

1. Mar 24, 2013
    Little dialogue and pure action... bad recipe for a film.
  2. May 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So in the end, she had to wait for him to wake up to kill him? Loool worst assassin ever, simply a bad movie, some ok parts but really come on? I think there should be a council so the customers who are paying their hard earned money on cheap movies to get it back!!! Viva the revolution Expand
  3. Jun 25, 2013
    An entertaining action packed film with some mystery in it. It's not one of the best action movies but it is much better than some other that come out these years. The story is smart and the action scenes are impressive. The futuristic idea was nice too. I haven't seen the original but i enjoyed the re-make.
  4. Jun 18, 2013
    Before we begin i’m just going to start off by saying that I will not be comparing this film to the original. Doing so only diminishes the film as a separate piece and instead, leaves it as something to nit pick constantly. However they do reference to the original at some points and I found it pretty humorous. The only thing I will say about the older movie compared to this one is that they follow the same basic format with little change to the story minus the exclusion from the big red planet.

Now that we have that out of the way, lets review the movie,

How was it you ask? well hold on let me just finish typing and you’ll see.

First off, its a very pretty film. honestly, the effects are very well done and the actual scenery from both the Colony and Britain are very well distinct. Both house half of the worlds population. But both are, like most societies are, split between social standards. This causes a feud between the two via fighting over they’re transportation between the two, know as “The Fall” which I found to be a great propaganda piece. The Colony is the slum of those two. While Britain is rich, beautiful, and architecturally superior. So effects, great, boom, done.

How was the story Matt? well…if you lack previous knowledge of the original total recall its good and bad. It’s good because you get to experience an interesting story within a very cool sci fi universe about a man who’s bored with his life and decides to get his brain messed with by an organizationa that provides people with an alternate life. Only to end up not knowing if his new memories are real or if what he’s experiencing is the false memories. It’s bad because the 3rd act of the film is very very predictable. (the whole film is predicable if you’ve seen the original though.) Walking into the first half you are introduced to this very creative world and this very interesting story wondering and questioning whether what’s happening is reality or the work of those working at Rekall. You’re supposed to be left curious as to how the entire thing will play out. But at a certain point the writers decided to basically say “nope you can stop wondering whats what because this is whats happening” and then it turns into your stereotypical predicable action flick with stereotypical hero and villain. Thus taking away a lot of mystery and potential

Don’t get me wrong, I love Bryan Cranston, he’s a great actor. But his role in this film was cliche at best.

However, I did prefer Colin Ferrell over Arnold. Mainly because I can’t take Arnold seriously in the first place aside from Predator

So to rap things up I’ll say this, The effects are great, the take on the future society is beyond interesting and I wish they explored it more along with exploring more of Rekall itself. The 3rd act falls flat along with the movies villain. The climax, while looking great, provides nothing special other than a cliche Hollywood ending.
  5. Jul 29, 2014
    Saw it on TV, why I didn't go to the movies was I saw the original, this is not like the original. Arnold in the original gives the whole movie a different quality and movie A was a sci fi whereas movie B, this one, is more future tech. They could have easily dropped some elements and called this movie memory war or something. Action was good but not overly believable and some aspects of the future like going through the centre of the earth and the rest of the world being uninhabitable were far fetched, if the rest of the world was poisoned I would like to have seen mutants. Anyway not great but I watched it with interest, so when a movie keeps your attention its pretty good. Expand
  6. Mar 3, 2014
    I haven't seen the original, but I wasn't engaged in this at all. Aesthetically pleasing with the cinematography, but no real substance to back it up which is a shame.
  7. Jul 15, 2014

Now that we have that out of the way, lets review the movie,

How was it you ask? well hold on let me just finish typing and you’ll see.

1. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Sep 1, 2012
    It's a bit of a flavourless CGI-fest, without the character and comedy of the Arnie version, and it never really gets to grips with the idea of "reality" as a slippery, malleable concept.
  2. Reviewed by: Helen O'Hara
    Aug 27, 2012
    Perhaps no more absurd than the Verhoeven version, but certainly less amusing. Farrell and Beckinsale emerge unscathed, but the endless scrabbling for novelty and reinvention leaves this feeling unaccountably stale and familiar.
  3. Reviewed by: Rob James
    Aug 17, 2012
    Entertaining in small doses, but gruelling at two hours, Wiseman's derivative, spec-hackular upgrade bins the twisted wit and meaty thrills of the Arnie original.