6.5

1. Dale
    Aug 12, 2009
    The film is artless, harsh, an stripped of any mystery. The performances are good, and Summer Bishi is highly promising. I'm glad I saw it just to see her fine work.
  2. BartJ.
    Sep 17, 2008
    Done before, but without the gratuitious smut.
  3. Joan
    Oct 1, 2008
    I did sense the germ of an important story in this film; however, as a big fan of Alan Ball's 6 FEET UNDER, I was shocked at the poor writing in this film. Although the lines were spoken by a strong ensemble of actors, I felt as if I was watching a first-time student film...very disappointed.
  4. JanS.
    Jan 12, 2009
    I found this disturbing in a unsettling feeling of discust for the making of a sex abuse issue a pretty thing. I found it boring, way too long and should have not gotten the ratings it did.
  5. BrandenR.
    Jan 27, 2009
    Why was this movie made? It had no redeeming qualities in it.

1. Reviewed by: Zack Haddad
    Racism, teen sex, and war are all hot button issues. When you are a young person these things can seem new and confusing. In Alan Ball’s genius Towelhead, all of those above mentioned subjects go hand-in-hand in a truly wonderful cinematic experience.
    Ball may not have the answers but he eloquently and forcefully explores some of the potential ramifications. The ending may be too pat, but the journey to get there - bitter, spicy, and poignant - more than compensates for any last-minute fumbles.
  3. The film is superbly acted (especially by Macdissi, who makes the father a borderline hysteric), but it's hard to know what to feel except, "How can any girl navigate this oversexualized culture?"