6.6

1. Nov 8, 2011
    Ben Stiller heads the cast (and the staff) of a luxury residence in NYC. When a Wall Street investor (Alan Alda) loses their pensions, he leads a team to steal it back. He also enlists small-time crook Eddie Murphy to help. The story and characters provide an interesting setup and Murphy's appearance adds a sprinkling of laughs, but the heist is slow and the comedy is sparse. What startsBen Stiller heads the cast (and the staff) of a luxury residence in NYC. When a Wall Street investor (Alan Alda) loses their pensions, he leads a team to steal it back. He also enlists small-time crook Eddie Murphy to help. The story and characters provide an interesting setup and Murphy's appearance adds a sprinkling of laughs, but the heist is slow and the comedy is sparse. What starts out with energetic promise never builds comic or narrative momentum (although the out-the-window gag is pretty cool). As a result, the whole thing falls flat. Expand
  2. Nov 13, 2011
    I'd say that Metascore is about right - Stiller is Stiller, the story is good, and Alda plays yet another good and wicked antagonist. I liked the sparks between Leoni & Stiller, too. I probably can't recommend this, but if you've got nothing else to see, you'll definitely laugh.
  3. Nov 30, 2011
    This is a bit of a weird one. Half the time, it's mad and funny. The other half, it's so painfully not funny you don't even realise it's making a joke. If your willing to watch a half-good movie...go right ahead. Of course, this is a cack year for films, so since theres hardly anything else on, possibly consider Tower Heist. Of course, my love of all things theft related (course, I liveThis is a bit of a weird one. Half the time, it's mad and funny. The other half, it's so painfully not funny you don't even realise it's making a joke. If your willing to watch a half-good movie...go right ahead. Of course, this is a cack year for films, so since theres hardly anything else on, possibly consider Tower Heist. Of course, my love of all things theft related (course, I live out my dark fantasies in Skyrim and GTA) make me like this a bit more but otherwise....it's only half good. So it gets a half score. Expand
  4. Nov 10, 2011
    I'm giving the movie a pass thanks to Eddie Murphy. This is the best role he's done since 48 hours, but it is also essentially the same character. The movie comes alive when Eddie Murphy joins the heist. The heist itself is over the top and ludicrous but plausibility is not the goal of this movie, rather it is to make you laugh. If you have a fear of heights, as I do, there is aI'm giving the movie a pass thanks to Eddie Murphy. This is the best role he's done since 48 hours, but it is also essentially the same character. The movie comes alive when Eddie Murphy joins the heist. The heist itself is over the top and ludicrous but plausibility is not the goal of this movie, rather it is to make you laugh. If you have a fear of heights, as I do, there is a prolonged scene during the heist that will make you squirm in your seat! Alan Alda always makes a good bad guy, as he first proved in a Woody Allen film years ago. I thought the acting across the board was good, and the film was shot well. The only part that didn't work so well for me was Gabourey Sidibe. Her acting is OK, but her weird Jamaican accent comes and goes. There was no reason for the accent so they shouldn't have added it. Not a great film but good. Recommended, especially if you like Eddie Murphy. Expand
  5. Feb 12, 2012
    It's great to see Eddie Murphy back in adult action again, and he does generate some good laughs. But don't expect a hip, intelligent caper flick. This is very middle of the road territory, so with suspense of high expectations it's fun and enjoyable. And I really liked the plot relevance to the Wall Street sociopaths that have been destroying our country, and the whole Robin Hood premise.
  6. Nov 3, 2012
    Over all a film that had one or two moments but one which I didn
  7. Dec 22, 2011
    This movie looks good in yellow. It's a mystery to me how it got a score of 59. Seriously, '' Tower Heist '' is an epic fail. Not funny at all, just boring dialogue. The only part that made me laugh was when Ben Stiller (as Josh Kovacs) and Eddie Murphy (as Slide) were talking in the car. Stiller said something like '' ....our partnership...'' (he's taking about them being in a team) andThis movie looks good in yellow. It's a mystery to me how it got a score of 59. Seriously, '' Tower Heist '' is an epic fail. Not funny at all, just boring dialogue. The only part that made me laugh was when Ben Stiller (as Josh Kovacs) and Eddie Murphy (as Slide) were talking in the car. Stiller said something like '' ....our partnership...'' (he's taking about them being in a team) and Murphy was like '' I ain't fuc*ing you're ass ''. Actually, the best thing about this movie was Eddie Murphy. The rest of the cast were okay, except for Casey Affleck, he played poorly. Also, the end seemed rushed. All of the sudden, everything speeds up (the events) and then it just ends. Plus, there are a lot of unrealistic situations, which makes me lose credibility of the story. I'm not giving it a lower score then 4, because there are worse movies then this that came out this year. Just don't waste time and money on this crap. I already forgot about it. Expand
  8. Dec 4, 2011
    It was okay. The kind of movie that you smile a bit while watching, then forget about as soon as you leave the theatre. Although this time, my friends and I did talk about it bit more than usual, simply because we were laughing at how many huge plot holes this movie had. Seriously, so many times they'd escalate the plot and I'd be thinking, well, how are they going to have this makeIt was okay. The kind of movie that you smile a bit while watching, then forget about as soon as you leave the theatre. Although this time, my friends and I did talk about it bit more than usual, simply because we were laughing at how many huge plot holes this movie had. Seriously, so many times they'd escalate the plot and I'd be thinking, well, how are they going to have this make sense, and then they just ignored it. That said, I did enjoy the Bernie Madoff type character and the storyline of him getting his own back. Expand
  9. Nov 12, 2011
    The movie is well directed and the performances are good, the main problem though is the script which isn't funny enough and is filled with plot holes. If the movie were much funnier I'd certainly forget about the plot holes, however when such a large part of the film is about a heist, details are important. There's several good laughs and most of the actors do a good job, but in the endThe movie is well directed and the performances are good, the main problem though is the script which isn't funny enough and is filled with plot holes. If the movie were much funnier I'd certainly forget about the plot holes, however when such a large part of the film is about a heist, details are important. There's several good laughs and most of the actors do a good job, but in the end it's fairly lukewarm and pedestrian. Someone who's easier to please will probably like this movie a lot more than I did. Expand
  10. Nov 14, 2011
    Bottom Line: Eddie Murphy is the one who draws the laughs in what I now would prefer to call Oceanâ
  11. Nov 5, 2011
    I enjoyed the first half of this film immensely, but once the "prize" was claimed by Stiller and his crew, the film simply fell apart. Ted Griffin, the screenwriter, gave us an interesting, smart, and amusing script for the first 48 minutes...and then he went on vacation and his 10-year old son finished writing the rest of it! It left me scratching my head wondering how dumb andI enjoyed the first half of this film immensely, but once the "prize" was claimed by Stiller and his crew, the film simply fell apart. Ted Griffin, the screenwriter, gave us an interesting, smart, and amusing script for the first 48 minutes...and then he went on vacation and his 10-year old son finished writing the rest of it! It left me scratching my head wondering how dumb and incompetent all the characters suddenly became, and how stupid, dull, un-clever, and implausible the plot line became. Mr. Griffin's uneven script felt as if he wrote it years before he wrote Ocean's Eleven...when he was still learning his craft. O-11 was a far superior film, even though the two movies are similar in many ways. This movie had SO much potential but it fell WAY too short of reaching the "good flick" status it was craving. Ben Stiller and Eddie Murphy worked well together and complimented each others talents tremendously. I only wish that Mr. Murphy was on the screen longer because the film was only a "comedy" when his character was present. Expand
  12. Nov 23, 2011
    It's Oceans 11 meets 48 Hours but not as good as either. I don't even remember Stiller going for any laughs, much less getting any. Murphy was mildly funny, but not in his best form - his best lines seemed tailor-made for the trailers. This is more of a caper movie than a comedy. Not a must - see, but a mediocre rental.
  13. Jan 5, 2012
    Ben Stiller and Eddie Murphy lead an all-star cast in Tower Heist, a comedy caper about working stiffs who seek revenge on the Wall Street swindler who stiffed them. After the workers at a luxury Central Park condominium discover the penthouse billionaire has stolen their retirement, they plot the ultimate revenge: a heist to reclaim what he took from them.
  14. Jan 16, 2012
    Stiller's Eleven

Stiller's Eleven

Billed as a more comedically oriented version of Ocean's Eleven, Brett Ratner's lighthearted caper Tower Heist fails to reach the heights it occasionally seems capable of. One area in which it is similar to Soderbergh's trilogy, however, is the monster cast. Where Ocean's collected almost every major star in the world at the time and thrust them into the same film, Heist boasts an intriguing mix of comedic heavyweights, old-school skill players and young talent. The whole operation never quite comes together, resulting in an average way to spend a couple of hours, but certainly nothing uproarious.

Josh (Ben Stiller) is the diligent manager of The Tower, friendly with its many residents, but none more so than wealthy financier Arthur Shaw (Alan Alda). So friendly, in fact, that he trusts Shaw with the management and investment of his employees' pension fund. But after Shaw is arrested for fraud, Josh's view of his former friend changes when he is told that legal recovery of the money is unlikely. So, with the help of fellow employees (Casey Affleck, Michael Pena, Gabourey Sidibe), an out-of-luck tenant (Matthew Broderick) and petty crook Slide (Eddie Murphy), Josh plans the robbery of Shaw's apartment to reclaim what is his.

For a film so reliant on consistent comedy to earn appraisal, it opens very slowly, trudging along with a greater priority placed upon plot foundations than actual humour. This would be acceptable in a film of this genre if the director had something captivating to offer, such as some sort of story arc or a handful of subplots that would allow the audience a genuine emotional interest in each character. The problem is that Heist takes the path of least resistance when establishing backstories; so one has to wonder why so much time was devoted to them in the early stages, subsequently limiting the time for what the audience came to see. Furthermore, Ratner dances with a romantic subplot throughout most of the second half, but never fully commits to the arc, rendering the whole substory lifeless and unnecessary. Admittedly, the film kicks into a higher gear when Murphy is finally injected. Although he is never able to truly let loose courtesy of a fairly inoffensive script, his solid timing and snappy delivery hark back to his success as a stand-up comedian in the eighties, and his performance is the dim highlight in a film filled with 'okays' and 'so-sos.' Murphy shares most of the one-liners with Pena, whose comedic skills are surprising considering his resume of dramas and actioners up to this point. Above-average comedic sensibilities between the two are good enough to turn a groan into a chuckle and a chuckle into a laugh but again, a predictable, unambitious screenplay keen on satisfying all ages limits the laughter.

The climax is actually quite tense, and can create some scary images for those terrified of heights. This is despite all its absurdity for the same reason that zany set pieces are always excusable in this context: it's a comedy. How did the team make it all the way to Shaw's apartment without being spotted? Surely, with all the people in the city that day for the Thanksgiving parade, wouldn't someone have alerted the police to a gang of men dressed in black dangling out of a window? Doesn't matter, it's a comedy.

The ending is an expectedly upbeat, neatly packaged one, topped off with a hubris-smashing act of selflessness by Josh. This might have meant more in a serious film, but adds no extra weight to the story here due to a lack of follow-though. Tower Heist might elate, will probably disappoint, but at least won't be looked upon as an unmitigated disaster by film's end.

*There's nothing I love more than a bit of feedback, good or bad. So drop me a line on jnatsis@iprimus.com.au and let me know what you thought of my review.*
  15. Mar 16, 2012
    This movie is funny but it is very inappropriate and sometimes it is boring. It is also filled with action parts but it is still a very messy and weird kind of film. It is long but it is also a pretty good movie and most will enjoy it.
  16. Nov 7, 2012
    Tower Heist is watchable if you have nothing better to do. It's not very funny, and it's not exciting at all. It really has no reason for being. The film defines the term mediocre.
  17. Dec 28, 2012
    Tower Heist borrows heavily from other (and better) films such as Ocean's Eleven and The Italian Job, but with a great cast and a solid script, this film makes for a very entertaining and satisfying experience.
  18. Dec 25, 2013
    A funny and entertaining movie that just doesn't aim very high. Tower Heist works while you watch it, but that's still pretty far away from comedy classic status. There may be one or two lines which you can look back fondly upon, but for the most part it's not hysterically memorable. That being said, there really isn't much wrong with it either. It's engaging, well cast, and amusing, soA funny and entertaining movie that just doesn't aim very high. Tower Heist works while you watch it, but that's still pretty far away from comedy classic status. There may be one or two lines which you can look back fondly upon, but for the most part it's not hysterically memorable. That being said, there really isn't much wrong with it either. It's engaging, well cast, and amusing, so I'm giving it a light recommendation. However, I'm not guaranteeing that you'll love it, so don't blame me if you feel like your time was wasted. Expand
  19. Aug 24, 2013
    [5.9] It's not a terrible movie, but its cast certainly doesn't make up for poor quality. The whole movie just gets more and more disappointing as you watch it and really has nothing to show for. It's boring, only occasionally funny, and rarely smart. Tower Heist is a failure, not a major failure, but it's easily forgettable.
  20. May 30, 2014
    Tower Heist is actually very funny 75% of the time. However, it's that 25% that drags this movie down. Stiller and Broderick do almost nothing for the movie, and they can't hold a candle to Murphy's humor and timing. He's the reason that this movie is just barely passable as good.

1. Reviewed by: Nick de Semlyen
    Nov 6, 2011
    Fun if uneven stuff from Ratner. A welcome return to form for Eddie Murphy and an even-more-welcome turn by the ever-excellent Alan Alda.
  2. Reviewed by: Steve Persall
    Nov 4, 2011
    As far as sophisticated caper flicks go, Tower Heist is oceans away from George Clooney's crew. Compared to other recent comedies, it's pretty light on the laughs.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Nov 4, 2011
    If this film turns out to be a big success, malls everywhere may want to hire more security.