Buena Vista Pictures | Release Date: November 24, 1999
8.8
Universal acclaim based on 550 Ratings
WATCH NOW
gm101Apr 7, 2011
While the first one showed that animated movies can be made completely with cg animation, this one proved that animated sequels can indeed be just as good as their predecessors (Shrek 2 and Toy Story 3 would prove this years later).
PaxsterOct 20, 2010
Just as good as the first story with a new batch of great characters. Moments for both the adults and the children. It is both timeless and universal just like its predecessor and is one of the few sequels that keeps the legacy of the wholeJust as good as the first story with a new batch of great characters. Moments for both the adults and the children. It is both timeless and universal just like its predecessor and is one of the few sequels that keeps the legacy of the whole franchise. Expand
heyitsmegrif4Jan 16, 2012
Toy Story 2 is visually dazzling, heartfelt and just hilarious with amazing voice acting and memorable characters this is a very successful sequel. I give this film 95% of a good movie.
AnthonyNonomousNov 29, 2007
Toy Story 2 is a delight. No matter how old you are, it'll charm you completely. It's an accomplished piece of filmmaking and is virtually flawless. A fantastic achievement.
1 of 1 users found this helpful
SophieJul 31, 2007
Honestly, this is almost as good as animation gets. Fantastic for the kids, fantastic for the adults. I really cannot fault this movie. Wheezy is adorable.
1 of 1 users found this helpful
HappymonkJan 6, 2012
The second masterpiece from Pixar. While arguably not as good as it's predecessor, it contains many funny jokes, a loving plot and a well written and perfectly performed script. It doesn't age (which is nice) and is still one of the bestThe second masterpiece from Pixar. While arguably not as good as it's predecessor, it contains many funny jokes, a loving plot and a well written and perfectly performed script. It doesn't age (which is nice) and is still one of the best animated films I have ever seen. Not quite as good as Toy Story 2, but is Pixar's 5th best film. Expand
StevenFApr 6, 2013
Sequels that attempt to top or even be as good as a brilliant original are hard to come by, but Toy Story 2 manages not only to be as good if not better than the original, but also manages to again find a place in everyones heart on anSequels that attempt to top or even be as good as a brilliant original are hard to come by, but Toy Story 2 manages not only to be as good if not better than the original, but also manages to again find a place in everyones heart on an emotional level that will live on.
As owner Andy prepares to go to cowboy camp with Woody, the beloved toy's arm is ripped and must sit out the trip, and he soon is put on the shelf where all the disused toys go, and fears that his days are numbered as a played with toy.
After a yard sale goes disastrously wrong, Woody is captured by a greedy toy collector, who Woody finds out wants to sell him as he is a part of a collection of famous dolls who were on a TV show years before.
Meanwhile, Buzz and the rest of the gang are on a mission to save Woody and bring him back to his owner before the toy collector, Al, sells him.
All our original cast return including Tim Allen as Buzz and Tom Hanks as Woody, with the introduction of new characters including Bullseye the horse, Jesse the cowgirl (Joan Cusack) and Stinky Pete (Kelsey Grammar).
The second instalment in the blockbuster animated series continues to deal with real life issues, this time how growing up can affect everyone of all ages, and the film brings back many realisations that we must make difficult decisions as we grow older.
The additions of new characters are a welcome expansion to the universe, and offer very funny situations that also mock different films while also delivering a clean and thoroughly enjoyable experience that will again never leave your side..much like the original.
Visually, the film continues to outshine the original, coming out four years after its predecessor, and it certainly brings a beautiful and more pristine experience and new level of enjoyment to the film.
Pixar continue to surprise and amaze, and with Toy Story 2 this is no different. it truly begs the question of how simple situations can make for the hardest decisions, but which ultimately come down to yourself.
With another Randy Newman scored film, its a simply unmissable film that will leave you wanting more and more, and of course one which will perhaps bring a tear to your eye.
You should certainly have a friend in Toy Story 2.
potatoes351Feb 17, 2013
Toy Story is a true classic, in every sense of the word. So Toy Story 2 had a lot to live up to, to try and even meet the standard of the first film let along exceed it. Luckily Toy Story 2 meets the standard perfectly, however does notToy Story is a true classic, in every sense of the word. So Toy Story 2 had a lot to live up to, to try and even meet the standard of the first film let along exceed it. Luckily Toy Story 2 meets the standard perfectly, however does not exceed the awesomeness of the first film, but instead compliments it.
So a few years have passed since the events of the original Toy Story and Andy has now reached his early teens, slowly growing out his toys. When clearing out his room Woody is accidentally thrown out and picked up by a toy collector to be framed for the rest of his life. Buzz and the rest of the gang from the first film go after Woody to rescue him and get him back to Andy before he returns from summer camp. However as Woody starts to learn that it wont be long until Andy no longer needs him and he starts to form new relationships with the collectors current set of toys he becomes reluctant to leave and go back to Andy.
Toy Story 2 takes all of the stuff that made Toy Story awesome and exaggerates it to make a much 'bigger' film without making the first one feel 'small' in comparison. It does nothing new but it delivers a concept we can all relate to and can learn from whilst providing us with an entertaining cast, well animated and generally awesome film.
reviewmattOct 11, 2013
Toy story 2 is an amazing film, with it being better than the first. New and interesting characters, with a good plot. Pixar really showed us what they are made of.
BeastprogamerMar 31, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Best Toy Story out of the 3. The characters return like Buzz, Woody, and new characters. Like maybe Zurg, Jessie, etc. Tom Hanks is a great actour. He did a great job acting Woody. The storyline and plot were awesome. Woody gets stolen by this fat guy who goes to Tokyo, Japan. (Lived in Tokyo for 2yrs.) At least Woody got repaired. I give this a 9/10 because of the crappy Barbie. She sucks! Well, in her own series. That's for sure. Great movie overall, and if you liked the first one, I totally recommend watching this. Expand
teddylukeApr 6, 2015
toy story 2 is better then the first one. toy story 2 story is a little better then the first toy story and the charters are much better then the first film.
YellowKirbySep 9, 2015
One of the rare occasions where the second film is just as good as the first one. It has a whole load of great new characters (Zurg being the best) and an amazing story. One of Pixar's best.
EpicLadySpongeDec 28, 2015
Toy Story 2 is basically just an improvement over the original and it's still one of the best sequels out there. It's so hard to lower down the score on this movie so it stays at a 10.
grandpajoe6191Sep 15, 2011
"Toy Story 2", the animation sequel to the masterpiece "Toy Story", labels itself as a another masterpiece by continuing the purity and love the first movie had.
MovieLonely94Oct 28, 2010
the reason of why the original was so good is because it needs to be played with sequels and this time this one kicks a** and its my favorite in the series along with the first movie.
MichaelDJan 9, 2011
I always find it so hard to believe that it was made in 1999. It's like it was just released last year! A great movie for anyone.
TheQuietGamerFeb 12, 2011
This may not be the best Toy Story but it is still a great movie, the story is a little predictable and some of the new characters aren't as great as the others but it is still a movie I would recommend seeing, it's funny, smart , andThis may not be the best Toy Story but it is still a great movie, the story is a little predictable and some of the new characters aren't as great as the others but it is still a movie I would recommend seeing, it's funny, smart , and ultimately charming, if you enjoyed the first you'll enjoy this one, even if it's not as good. Expand
JessMar 28, 2006
My favorite all kind movie! I love it so much. The best hit of last Disney-Pixar.
R.D.May 29, 2006
Best movie of 1999! Really Woody and Buzz rock!
JackBAug 23, 2007
Just as good as Toy Story, with the best action figure villian... "Zurg".
ChristianPApr 19, 2008
This is the best movie in 1999! It's funny and it's for everyone at any age to enjoy! Disney and Pixar are genuises!
GaryDJul 14, 2008
Some many years ago....must have watched this 1000 times LOL!.
ESS180Nov 23, 2010
I love the sequel, I love 1, 2 and 3. I love everything from these movies.

I love how they introduce the new characters and I love the movie

In some places, there moments which were funny and exciting.

Brilliant just brilliant.
KendylKlownfishApr 18, 2011
Even more fun and more adventurous than the first film. Pros: Innovative characters; eye popping animation; hilarious dialog and pop culture references; the best Pixar film to date. Cons: Again, if Toy Story 2 lacked anything, it's becauseEven more fun and more adventurous than the first film. Pros: Innovative characters; eye popping animation; hilarious dialog and pop culture references; the best Pixar film to date. Cons: Again, if Toy Story 2 lacked anything, it's because you don't have an eye for animation, period. Expand
drlowdonDec 24, 2013
It could reasonably be argued that the plot for Toy Story 2 is virtually the original's in reverse (this time around Buzz is trying to rescue Woody) but, as with virtually all of Disney Pixar's movies, there are more than enough funny momentsIt could reasonably be argued that the plot for Toy Story 2 is virtually the original's in reverse (this time around Buzz is trying to rescue Woody) but, as with virtually all of Disney Pixar's movies, there are more than enough funny moments to keep anyone entertained. Expand
aaronpaul121Sep 24, 2012
A fantastic sequel to its previous movie. It has sympathy, just like the first movie. Technically, it was amazing. It has great animation, voice acting and a wonderful new cast of characters. Another masterpiece from Pixar I must say......
pwnstarJul 5, 2011
While not as good as the original, Toy Story 2 is still one of the best animated movies ever made, in my opinion. It does everything almost as good as the orignal
JawsPapi87Aug 11, 2011
It's more adventurous than the first with a few more clever pop-culture references, making this the sequel that the first film deserved. Not to mention the introduction of great new characters and would you believe it, no age limit
ZilcellNov 10, 2011
I think Toy Story 2 is better than the original. It is more adventurous than the first one because there is a lot more going on and there are more fun characters.
TheSerratizerJan 10, 2012
In my opinion, this is the best Pixar movie, other than Ratatouille and The Incredibles. And I say this only because the movie introduces new character bonds while still strengthening the old ones. (9.7/10)