8.8

1. Aug 2, 2012
    A true thriller at it's best. This is a film charged with tension, drama, and suspense. Not to mention the truly inspiring and detailed story it delivers. Overall a great screenplay that manages to swiftly switch between different scenarios and keep every story engaging, as well as easy to follow. Not to be missed.
  2. Jul 9, 2012
    Steven Soderbergh, the master of narrative, creates a drug, crime film the way one should be made. What
  3. Apr 11, 2013
    Brilliant, simply brilliant. Well composed script, compelling, engaging but also emotional and at times disturbing. This film succeeds in conforming well to the "hyperlink" genre and exploring both process and effect of drug trafficking. It also succeeds in establishing some homogeny between Mexican and
    American societies whilst attacking the divide that exists between the respective societies. The acting is superb, Benicio del Toro avoids melodrama, remaining collected but also seemingly effortlessly drawing viewers into some emotional attachment with his character. Brilliant performances also by Michael Douglas, Don Cheadle and Catharine Zeta Jones.
  4. May 23, 2013
    Traffic is a brilliant collection of stories involving strong characters and gripping story-lines, sometimes brutal and tragic; a drugs film told with intoxicating panache, all without becoming too-heavy, which is refreshing in a pool full of films such as Less Than Zero, Requiem for a Dream and Blow. There are stints of hope in Traffic, yet it wisely restricts this hope in itsTraffic is a brilliant collection of stories involving strong characters and gripping story-lines, sometimes brutal and tragic; a drugs film told with intoxicating panache, all without becoming too-heavy, which is refreshing in a pool full of films such as Less Than Zero, Requiem for a Dream and Blow. There are stints of hope in Traffic, yet it wisely restricts this hope in its acknowledgement that no matter what anybody does, drugs are an unshakable part of modern life; you can cut it down, but there’s no stopping it.

9.3
  5. RyanM.
    Oct 19, 2001
    It creates a force of reality, and hurts your heart to watch it,it's one of the best films of the year, and it becoms a revolution.
  6. BethC.
    Feb 9, 2001
    Viscerally unyielding. It flat out hammered me. It kept me interested and off kilter the whole time, and Benicio Del Toro is FABULOUS in it.
  7. raVen
    Nov 2, 2003
    This movie drained me a little. But I'm not exactly sure that's a bad thing. It also required a lot more concentration than I had expected. And I'm not so sure that's bad, either. It most definitely isn't a movie you can pop in every Saturday for a good time. But it's worthwhile and made very well. As an aside, I would say that Don Cheadle is a close personal This movie drained me a little. But I'm not exactly sure that's a bad thing. It also required a lot more concentration than I had expected. And I'm not so sure that's bad, either. It most definitely isn't a movie you can pop in every Saturday for a good time. But it's worthwhile and made very well. As an aside, I would say that Don Cheadle is a close personal friend of mine, but it isn't true, and nobody would believe me anyway. But dang, does this guys show up for the big ones! He always seems to surface and thrive in movies overflowing with A-List actors. Traffic is no exception. Expand
  8. DaveC.
    Aug 2, 2003
    A study of the futile war against drugs that demands the viewers full attention and offers no easy answers. Rivals Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Dancer In The Dark as one of the best films to come out since the turn of the millennium.
  9. JordanB.
    Feb 12, 2004
    This is an amazing film, but to be interested in it have to have a passion for the drug conflict in the first place. This is not a propaganda film as one person said, it is a film that explores the various perspectives and problems in the "war against drugs". The movie is designed to make you think, a rarity in big hollywood films. Great character development, too. The mood and attitude This is an amazing film, but to be interested in it have to have a passion for the drug conflict in the first place. This is not a propaganda film as one person said, it is a film that explores the various perspectives and problems in the "war against drugs". The movie is designed to make you think, a rarity in big hollywood films. Great character development, too. The mood and attitude of the movie follow Douglas' character's development beautifully. I cannot recommend this movie to everyone, because it could bore anyone who doesn't find the drug conflict interesting, but if you pay attention you might get something out of it. Expand
  10. KevinL.
    Sep 28, 2007
    "Brilliant" As much as there are many of its kind out there, the writers continue to make this film as entertaining and masterful. This film just creates so much tension and absorbs the viewers in.
  11. SteveM.
    Nov 2, 2002
    I did not actually think too much of this movie. It had it's good points though. What I can not understand is why a movie like this gets an 87 and Requiem for a Dream only gets a 76? I saw Requiem for a Dream, and I think it is or is close to the best Drama drug movie I have ever seen. It is also the only one with a refrigerator puppeteer.
  12. jon
    Oct 12, 2005
    Extremely powerful, traffic was definitely robbed at the Oscars for Best Picture.
  13. Aug 23, 2014
    A very ambitious and expertly made film, Traffic is a very interesting, at times disturbing, film. First off, the ensemble cast featuring Benicio del Toro, Michael Douglas, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Don Cheadle, Luis Guzman, and Erika Christensen, is fantastic. The direction from Steven Soderbergh is also very good and I also really liked his cinematography here. The different tints to eachA very ambitious and expertly made film, Traffic is a very interesting, at times disturbing, film. First off, the ensemble cast featuring Benicio del Toro, Michael Douglas, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Don Cheadle, Luis Guzman, and Erika Christensen, is fantastic. The direction from Steven Soderbergh is also very good and I also really liked his cinematography here. The different tints to each story really gave each their own unique feel, even if they all concerned the same topic; drug trafficking. Ultimately, Traffic is a brilliant look at the many different aspects and roles played in the world of drugs and how easily lines between good and bad can be blurred. On top of that, it reenforces that nobody involved can get away without being altered forever. Every story it goes through is interesting in their own way. Many call this a thriller, and while elements of this are indeed thrilling, it struck me more as a drama and I thought the dramatic elements outweighed the thrilling ones, but that is me. Regardless, Traffic is an incredibly ambitious film from director Steven Soderbergh that is ultimately a resounding success that leaves you wanting more, even though its run time is two and a half hours. Expand
  14. Nov 28, 2012
    Easily one of the greatest ensemble pieces in cinematic history, "Traffic" represents everything that many other films have tried and failed to do - It crafts an utterly breathtaking film featuring a wide array of characters that the audience never forgets nor stops caring about.
  15. Aug 25, 2014
    This is a film where you do not have to be into drugs. Sodenbergh seems to have put a magic spell on this material, because the movie is done very well.
  16. BillyBob
    Jul 7, 2001
    It was funny when the "big black man" was dealing with the crackwhore daughter. Only problem I have is Del Toro's accent doesn't remotely sound Mexican.
  17. BethC.
    Feb 9, 2001
  18. PatC.
    Jan 15, 2004
    This comprehensive examination of an international drug traffic situation has the authenticity of a documentary and the gripping breadth of perspective of a classic epic. The character development is a little sparse.
  19. JohnB.
    Jun 27, 2008
    Very intelligent movie, great actors, interesting story!
  20. GaborA.
    Jun 30, 2005
    Simply one of the best movies ever made.
  21. Kasai
    Jan 25, 2001
    A fabulously told story that is out of today's headlines. Benicio Del Torro gives a riveting performance as a Tijuana cop who refuses to be on the take. This one you can watch more than once. Soderbergh's best film to date.
  22. ChadK.
    Mar 19, 2001
    My personal favorite for the year. I went two days in a row. This film was made for the sake of filmmaking and is done very well. Benicio Del Toro deserved the Golden Globe and deserves the Oscar.
  23. Gilbert
    Nov 22, 2002
    Cuh. I dunno, you make a stunning, complex ensemble drama, you throw in some fine performances, mix it with wonderful cinematography and directorial flair, and the public still hates you. I though the colouring was great; a neat way of helping us tell three (totally unconnected) stories apart, which, looking at some of these posts, it seems some needed. I'm not sure about the "Big Cuh. I dunno, you make a stunning, complex ensemble drama, you throw in some fine performances, mix it with wonderful cinematography and directorial flair, and the public still hates you. I though the colouring was great; a neat way of helping us tell three (totally unconnected) stories apart, which, looking at some of these posts, it seems some needed. I'm not sure about the "Big Evil Black Men" thing either, though; one for Gaghan to answer for. And I don't care if you hate fishing. Expand
  24. YoonMinC.
    Nov 1, 2003
    There's an edgy docudrama style effected by handheld camera and from certain passages shot in grainy images, but the visual texture is more a matter of style than substance; more a refined recycling of established conventions than fresh cinematic vocabulary. While the panoromic stories tying together the high and low of drug dealers and law enforcers make for gripping drama and There's an edgy docudrama style effected by handheld camera and from certain passages shot in grainy images, but the visual texture is more a matter of style than substance; more a refined recycling of established conventions than fresh cinematic vocabulary. While the panoromic stories tying together the high and low of drug dealers and law enforcers make for gripping drama and interesting political/cultural survey, Sodernbergh ultimately leans on sensationalistic cliches, and worse, tired plot resolutions as the film reaches its climax. The generally uplifting endings to story threads are pure Hollywood and lack conviction in plausibility. Some of the plot developments are far-fetched(such as Zeta Jones becoming a queenpin overnight) and some of the relational dynamic are obvious in their irony(honor student freebasing heroin and who happens to be the daughter of the drug czar!!). Worse, everyone makes speeches, and to preempt this criticism Sodernbergh even has one character ask another "Is this the Larry King show?" Ultimately, with the story of beautiful Zeta Jones making ruthlessly effective deals and preserving her glamorous lifestyle, the movie unwittingly glorifies drug money just as Gordon Gekko's dazzling smoothness did more for than against greed in Wall Street. Sadly, this movie was overpraised by many for the same reason as Do the Right Thing; its IMPORTANT subject matter earned it A for effort. Expand
  25. DanC.
    Apr 14, 2004
    The ultimate anti-drug. Traffic is great in every sense of the word. The 5th best film of the new millennium (behind LOTR and Finding Nemo) and the best of 2000. I'll never do drugs now. Thanks a bunch, Soderbergh.
  26. ColeL.
    Nov 21, 2001
    An exceptionally genius movie with so much reality it hurts to watch these peoples ordeals. It enormously ambitious and masterfully exacuted. This movie really holds you to the sniff and the puff.

Traffic is not just an ultra-procedural--it's the Big Picture, the Whole Enchilada, complete with a complicated war between two Mexican drug cartels.
    Though meticulously researched, well acted and filled with striking moments, the movie ultimately feels oddly disconnected.
  3. He's (Soderbergh) among the few directors working today who makes me wonder what he'll do next - and draws me into the movie house, whatever it may be.