8.1

1. Nov 21, 2014
    Training Day is a classic. Denzel Washington is electric in his role as Alonzo Harris, which is one of his best roles ever. He displays such amazing intensity as this character. I was fixed on the screen as soon as I heard Denzel's first line. Washington some of the most memorable quotes in this movie. Perhaps the best police film that was ever released. I could watch this film over and over again and find something new in it each time. Alonzo Harris is so unpredictable and is probably my favorite anti-hero in all of film. Training Day will leave you guessing until the very end, where it concludes just as suddenly as it begins. Expand
  2. Nov 14, 2014
    Denzel Washington had one of the performances if you ask me. A lot of people may not agree with that but he won the Academy Award for it. Ethan Hawke was also a great actor in this film. Great plot as well with a lot of twists. This is a must see.
  3. Jul 17, 2014
    Great film! Without a doubt an instant classic that could stand amongst the likes of End of Watch and The Departed as one of the all time great cop thrillers! Also boast one of Denzel Washington's best performances!
  4. Oct 7, 2013
    This movie defines the essence of the thriller genre. The moment Denzel Washington speaks his first few lines to Ethan Hawke immediately grip my entire attention. They govern Training Day and it's definitely a treat to have them as the lead roles. This movie is definitely one of the most enticing, on-edge films of all time. This is a movie that should not be dismissed.
  5. Sep 1, 2013
    This is the kind of movie I hope to watch on a Saturday. This is a must watch for movie lovers! Denzel really digs into the character, showing his rookie partner how to do the job but as a corrupt cop.
  6. Sep 1, 2013
    Before movies like "The Departed" and "The Town" comes a riveting and intense cop thriller. This movie blew me away with it's great story and tremendous acting form Ethan Hawke and especially Denzel Washington. Overall, it's a cop thriller that's got the goods. Be sure to check out my YouTube channel "TheMovieManLife" for all things movies.
  7. Mar 28, 2013
    Training Day is absolutely one of the best gangster movies ever made, from acting to story it's perfect. Denzel and Ethan are both great in this cat and mice chase filled with thrills. The film is totally fresh with absorbing lore in all of its dynamics and suspense. The film targets many perspectives of New York deep down dirty gangs and director Antoine Fuqua has made his subject very detailed. The Best Gangster Film since The Godfather. Expand
  8. Dec 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Denzel Washington is amazing with his corrupt cop role. Whole movie he's trying to make Ethan Hawke (and YOU) believe in his truth. In the beginning he's successful and you think that he's not that bad, but in the end you see his true face. Well deserved 10/10 I think. Expand
  9. Nov 28, 2012
    "Training Day" is the story of Jake Hoyt (Ethan Hawke), an LAPD rookie who is looking to join a top-notch narcotics squad led by Alonzo Harris (Denzel Washington). Harris gives Hoyt one simple task; accompany him on a one-day ride-along where he must prove himself worthy of enlistment. Now from this point on the movie maintains a steady level of immense entertainment. The most noteworthy aspect of this movie is Denzel Washington's Academy-Award Winning portrayal of Alonzo Harris; the rugged cop that has seemingly blurred the line between what is right and what isn't. His performance is as charismatic and imposing, as it is chilling and antagonizing. Every line that Washington delivered was either intensely funny or incredibly demented (but still funny). Which brings me to the script; "The Fast And The Furious" writer, David Ayer, delivers deeply provocative dialogue, as well as a compelling narrative that delves into some very insightful themes. The main theme of the movie, however, seems to be a blend of the "Crime doesn't pay" Expand
  10. Oct 23, 2012
    Absolutely loved it. Denzel is a badass. What more do you want? Well, drama, lots of it too. In addition to great acting and drama, all this **** revolves in one day and will have your mind spinning and confused. Fresh, certified by me!
  11. Dec 23, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A tale of danger and crime, Training Day is good at demonstrating cops fighting gangs in Los Angeles. Not only does it teach us the dangers and crime of Los Angeles, it takes arresting criminals seriously. I was disappointed Denzel Washington turned out to be a antagonist despite his impressive performance, but he was even more impressive at his script and dialogue. Expand
  12. Oct 2, 2011
    Brilliant acting by Denzel Washington and Ethan Hawke in an extremely well written movie. Critics who gave this movie any mark under 90 are certainly living inside a bubble.
  13. Mar 18, 2011
    One of my top 5 favorite movies of all time. Awesome story, perfect acting. Denzel Washington is my favorite actor and Hawke did great too. Lots of quotable lines in this movie.
  14. Sep 26, 2010
    This movie was absolutely amazing. It was a drama with hints of comedy and an array of action.

1. Reviewed by: Claudia Puig
    With its unflinching style, Training Day can be hard to sit through at times. But it's worth the discomfort for the adrenaline rush of the plot and Washington's compelling performance.
  2. This is a movie that rocks and socks you, and has a performance by Washington that's ruthless and scary. But in the end, it leaves you unmarked.
  3. Reviewed by: Jay Carr
    Even when it falls back excessively on coincidence and contrived set pieces, even when it gushes irretrievably over the top in its final act, Washington makes Training Day sizzle.