Training Day

8.9

1. RyanM.
    Jan 24, 2002
    "Training Day" intrigued me for a while, but then it dilly-dallies into territory it shouldn't ever touch on, and to top it off, the ending is so unsatisfying you walk out thinking "did I miss something"???
  2. DonD.
    Oct 21, 2001
    This is the first movie that I can remember that opened with no title or character names. Thank God my ticket said "Training Day" and I knew Washington and Hawke were the stars! The movie has some exciting, though implausible "shoot 'em up" scenes. Denzel Washington gives a great performance, but not a career topper as some reviewers have said. Hawke is out-matched, both in acting This is the first movie that I can remember that opened with no title or character names. Thank God my ticket said "Training Day" and I knew Washington and Hawke were the stars! The movie has some exciting, though implausible "shoot 'em up" scenes. Denzel Washington gives a great performance, but not a career topper as some reviewers have said. Hawke is out-matched, both in acting ability and character strength. Scott Glenn gives a classic, be it too short, performance. The scenes of the mean streets of LA were as realistic as it comes. Expand
  3. NickS.
    Oct 5, 2001
    Training Day was a lot of fun, full of action and humorous situations with a gritty edge to it. Denzel gives another great performance but sometimes it's a bit over the top. This is the most I've liked Ethan Hawke in a while. Be ready to be bombarded with violence and offensive language.
  4. BangkokDave
    Jul 23, 2002
    A nice little exercise in cinematic sadism. In the same way that Washington's character terrorizes the hapless Ethan Hawke, the movie tortures its viewers & ultimately betrays them with a stupid & meaningless ending.
  5. Richard
    Aug 16, 2002
    By the numbers and not particularly engrossing. Washington has been better before in "Courage Under Fire," "Much Ado About Nothing," and "A Soldier's Story," to name a few. Why this particular performance was singled out for honor is beyond me. Ethan Hawke was surprisingly effective.
  6. PatC.
    Jan 15, 2004
    It's flashiness and inadequacies make it excruciatingly average.

Denzel Washington ventures into the dark side as a seriously corrupt narcotics cop in Training Day, and the results are electrifying. So is the picture, thanks to taut, sinewy direction by Antoine Fuqua and a compelling script by David Ayer (The Fast and the Furious).
  2. Reviewed by: Claudia Puig
    With its unflinching style, Training Day can be hard to sit through at times. But it's worth the discomfort for the adrenaline rush of the plot and Washington's compelling performance.
  3. This is a movie that rocks and socks you, and has a performance by Washington that's ruthless and scary. But in the end, it leaves you unmarked.