8.5

1. Mar 18, 2011
    One of my top 5 favorite movies of all time. Awesome story, perfect acting. Denzel Washington is my favorite actor and Hawke did great too. Lots of quotable lines in this movie.
  2. BusterB
    Apr 18, 2008
    This is one of the best movies ever. Seriously, Denzel and Ethan Hawke were amazing and the whole concept of the movie was great. The supporting cast took me by surprise when Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg made appearances and they were actually reasonably good. The action, the one-liners, the immortalized ending, the shady characters, the fact that this was filmed in the real gang areas in LA, This is one of the best movies ever. Seriously, Denzel and Ethan Hawke were amazing and the whole concept of the movie was great. The supporting cast took me by surprise when Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg made appearances and they were actually reasonably good. The action, the one-liners, the immortalized ending, the shady characters, the fact that this was filmed in the real gang areas in LA, and the look into the face of evil (Denzel) really made this movie shine. Amazing, and I recommend this to anyone who doesn't mind a whole lot of cussing. Expand
  3. Brandon
    Dec 1, 2008
    Amazing dark cop drama. One of the best "corrupt cop" movies there is. For everyone claiming it is too over the top and unrelalistic.... please look up the LAPD Rampart scandal, which is what inspired the film.
  4. Mar 28, 2013
    Training Day is absolutely one of the best gangster movies ever made, from acting to story it's perfect. Denzel and Ethan are both great in this cat and mice chase filled with thrills. The film is totally fresh with absorbing lore in all of its dynamics and suspense. The film targets many perspectives of New York deep down dirty gangs and director Antoine Fuqua has made his subject veryTraining Day is absolutely one of the best gangster movies ever made, from acting to story it's perfect. Denzel and Ethan are both great in this cat and mice chase filled with thrills. The film is totally fresh with absorbing lore in all of its dynamics and suspense. The film targets many perspectives of New York deep down dirty gangs and director Antoine Fuqua has made his subject very detailed. The Best Gangster Film since The Godfather. Expand
  5. Jul 17, 2014
    Great film! Without a doubt an instant classic that could stand amongst the likes of End of Watch and The Departed as one of the all time great cop thrillers! Also boast one of Denzel Washington's best performances!
  6. Sep 1, 2013
    Before movies like "The Departed" and "The Town" comes a riveting and intense cop thriller. This movie blew me away with it's great story and tremendous acting form Ethan Hawke and especially Denzel Washington. Overall, it's a cop thriller that's got the goods. Be sure to check out my YouTube channel "TheMovieManLife" for all things movies.
  7. Oct 7, 2013
    This movie defines the essence of the thriller genre. The moment Denzel Washington speaks his first few lines to Ethan Hawke immediately grip my entire attention. They govern Training Day and it's definitely a treat to have them as the lead roles. This movie is definitely one of the most enticing, on-edge films of all time. This is a movie that should not be dismissed.
  8. FeliciaM.
    Mar 26, 2002
    This movie stayed with me for days, I watched it twice in a row, it was very flashy and violent, just how I like 'em! Music was right on target to keep you on the edge of your seat! Denzel well deserved his Oscar, I am very happy for him!!!
  9. P.M.
    Feb 24, 2005
    It is one of the best movies i have ever seen and i have seen them all.
  10. Dec 23, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A tale of danger and crime, Training Day is good at demonstrating cops fighting gangs in Los Angeles. Not only does it teach us the dangers and crime of Los Angeles, it takes arresting criminals seriously. I was disappointed Denzel Washington turned out to be a antagonist despite his impressive performance, but he was even more impressive at his script and dialogue. Expand
  11. Dec 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Denzel Washington is amazing with his corrupt cop role. Whole movie he's trying to make Ethan Hawke (and YOU) believe in his truth. In the beginning he's successful and you think that he's not that bad, but in the end you see his true face. Well deserved 10/10 I think. Expand
  12. May 23, 2014
    Denzel Washington is just so smart and charismatic as the cocky macho cop Alonzo Harris, he usually plays good guys but in this material he just is so good as a villain. Ethan Hawke is quietly impressive as the rookie Cop Jake Hoyt. This is Antoine Fuqua's best movie
  13. Sep 26, 2010
    This movie was absolutely amazing. It was a drama with hints of comedy and an array of action.
  14. RosieK.
    Jun 30, 2002
    This film was all blood and gore, no plot. Washinton was not exquisite, and neither was Hawke.
  15. AlbertoM.
    Jun 13, 2002
    Terrible, I couldn't believe Denzel won an award for this caricature of a street-wise black cop. Every minority was a tired caricature. It was disgusting to see the same old latino roles of drunk gangbangers. Denzel did not convince me at all that he was really a tough street wise person. And I have always loved denzel, except maybe as the jazz man in another crappy movie. Nothing Terrible, I couldn't believe Denzel won an award for this caricature of a street-wise black cop. Every minority was a tired caricature. It was disgusting to see the same old latino roles of drunk gangbangers. Denzel did not convince me at all that he was really a tough street wise person. And I have always loved denzel, except maybe as the jazz man in another crappy movie. Nothing was believable, so much so it was almost comedy. And the violence was so gratuitous, anyone who thought all that was realistic must never have been in a real ghetto. Don't waste your money! Expand
  16. HugoB
    Feb 3, 2008
    Although the two central characters can hold the film, the rest falls by the wayside.
  17. Ed
    Nov 13, 2001
    Sorry all, but some fine performances wasted in a relentless one-note rollercoaster ride. Based on this film's message, I guess all people of color are doomed to a life of misdeeds.
  18. Nov 12, 2013
    Training Day Triumphs.
    Between the crafty, gritty performances of actors Denzel Washington and Ethan Hawke; Training Day is victorious with a blazing plot.
  19. JakeM.
    Oct 5, 2001
    Just a straight up awesome movie. I recommend that you watch this movie. The 6 dollar ticket is well worth it
  20. RichardA.
    Oct 19, 2001
    While the movie is not perfect, it earns a "10" for Denzel's performance, suspense, , cloe-up cinematography, and perhaps, most important, a film-ending portrayal of the black community that is both so real and so subtle that the fraternity of film critics seems to have missed it entirely.
  21. MikeS.
    Oct 7, 2001
    This movie was everything and more. It was funny, action-packed, edge of your seat action. Great acting by both Denzel and Ethan. Also great acting by supporting roles. Music kept it bumping. Loved it! Go see this now.
  22. Werner
    Nov 3, 2002
    I love this film!
  23. RyanM.
    Jan 24, 2002
    "Training Day" intrigued me for a while, but then it dilly-dallies into territory it shouldn't ever touch on, and to top it off, the ending is so unsatisfying you walk out thinking "did I miss something"???
  24. JohnD.
    Aug 31, 2002
    This movie is a classic. Apart from the stroy, Denzel was brilliant.
  25. CiaranD.
    May 14, 2003
    What a bad movie. Unrealistic & takes you nowhere. Washington was pretty good, but even his performance did'nt come close to elevating this from what is really a flashy, illstructured & illscripted vehicle for a couple of good looking actors.
  26. BayoA.
    Nov 1, 2004
    This movie really is great, brought out the best of denzel,the action,the lines and the plot. ITS HOT.
  27. JeffL
    Oct 20, 2004
    While the movie can be seen as complex rumination on the psychology of the criminal, it can also be seen as a very straight-forward, conservative moralizing tale of making good decisions in life. It is the effortless navigation of these two perhaps incommensurable points of view that ultimately hurts this movie.
  28. DonD.
    Oct 21, 2001
    This is the first movie that I can remember that opened with no title or character names. Thank God my ticket said "Training Day" and I knew Washington and Hawke were the stars! The movie has some exciting, though implausible "shoot 'em up" scenes. Denzel Washington gives a great performance, but not a career topper as some reviewers have said. Hawke is out-matched, both in acting This is the first movie that I can remember that opened with no title or character names. Thank God my ticket said "Training Day" and I knew Washington and Hawke were the stars! The movie has some exciting, though implausible "shoot 'em up" scenes. Denzel Washington gives a great performance, but not a career topper as some reviewers have said. Hawke is out-matched, both in acting ability and character strength. Scott Glenn gives a classic, be it too short, performance. The scenes of the mean streets of LA were as realistic as it comes. Collapse
  29. NickS.
    Oct 5, 2001
    Training Day was a lot of fun, full of action and humorous situations with a gritty edge to it. Denzel gives another great performance but sometimes it's a bit over the top. This is the most I've liked Ethan Hawke in a while. Be ready to be bombarded with violence and offensive language.
  30. MichaelF.
    Oct 5, 2001
    I was really surprised. A truly dark heart-pounder! Excellent direction by Antoine Fuqua. Denzel is a very good bad guy but goes over-the-top a lot! Hawke is great in a simple way. This is a very dark and gritty film that isn't for everyone. Not enough action to please the blood thirsty, to dark and gritty for others, for art film fans, its pretty good. I HIGHLY recommend this film!
  31. ChadS.
    Feb 14, 2002
    No offense to Ethan Hawke but I find his Oscar nomination suspect. Yes, the Academy tabbed Denzel Washington & Will Smith for best actor nods, but by nominating Jon Voight (Turturro's Cosell is better) & Hawke, the inference can be drawn that these two African-American leads needed help. And isn't "Training Day" too minor a film to merit a second acting nod? If Denzel wins, it No offense to Ethan Hawke but I find his Oscar nomination suspect. Yes, the Academy tabbed Denzel Washington & Will Smith for best actor nods, but by nominating Jon Voight (Turturro's Cosell is better) & Hawke, the inference can be drawn that these two African-American leads needed help. And isn't "Training Day" too minor a film to merit a second acting nod? If Denzel wins, it will be for the wrong film. Fudging with history hurt "The Hurricane" but not "A Beautiful Mind". Why? Well, you know why. Expand
  32. BangkokDave
    Jul 23, 2002
    A nice little exercise in cinematic sadism. In the same way that Washington's character terrorizes the hapless Ethan Hawke, the movie tortures its viewers & ultimately betrays them with a stupid & meaningless ending.
  33. LeslieD.
    Dec 10, 2003
    What a great film!
  34. SergioR.
    Jun 21, 2003
    An absolute master piece! Dezel Washington gives another finaminel Oscer wining preformance! The film kept me on the edge on my seat, and can not give enough praise to the film. This will go down as a classic in my book.
  35. Jerrys.
    Jul 9, 2003
    This is one of the best movies I have ever seen. Seriously. The action is non-stop and the end-performance by Washington gave me shivers down my spine. The struggle between good and evil is very interesting and unwavering. Hawke plays a great part as he tries to find himself as a "protect and serve" kind of cop. this movie is a must see!
  36. SeamusF.
    Sep 5, 2003
    Washington's dirty cop is a brilliant statement on alpha-male power. He gets what he wants because he demands things, and then he convinces people that they wanted to give him everything. Watching him manipulate everyone -- Hawke, drug dealers, his four-man squad -- with his cocky self-assurance and gray-area morality is a sight to behold, and all too true in the real world. This Washington's dirty cop is a brilliant statement on alpha-male power. He gets what he wants because he demands things, and then he convinces people that they wanted to give him everything. Watching him manipulate everyone -- Hawke, drug dealers, his four-man squad -- with his cocky self-assurance and gray-area morality is a sight to behold, and all too true in the real world. This movie is even better the second time. Expand
  37. Cyrone
    Mar 21, 2004
    DUDE this movie suprprised the hell out of me, the acting is top-notch and it feels really real, even if its not, its good to think that it is. This movie ranks alongside Phone Booth, and i think anyone, gansta or not, should see this great, great movie.
    Jul 9, 2005
    Denzel's suprisingly great as the baddie. Shows, with detail, the darker side of LA, the side eclipsed by Hollywood and Beverly Hills. I once idealized LA as a great, shiny city of dreams, a place where anything can happen and the possibilities are endless. Don't get me wrong, I still like LA today, but now i know that not everyone's basking in the eye candy and excess Denzel's suprisingly great as the baddie. Shows, with detail, the darker side of LA, the side eclipsed by Hollywood and Beverly Hills. I once idealized LA as a great, shiny city of dreams, a place where anything can happen and the possibilities are endless. Don't get me wrong, I still like LA today, but now i know that not everyone's basking in the eye candy and excess wealth that all of us fantasize about over there. Expand
  39. PaulaW.
    Nov 12, 2001
    Don't look for any overarching ideas here. This is nothing more than a masterful performance by Denzel Washington as a hardened veteran of the LAPD narcotics unit playing cat-and-mouse with eager recruit Ethan Hawke. The violence is integral to the story, and believable except for a few flights into action-movie silliness à la "Pulp Fiction." The dialogue could be stronger and Don't look for any overarching ideas here. This is nothing more than a masterful performance by Denzel Washington as a hardened veteran of the LAPD narcotics unit playing cat-and-mouse with eager recruit Ethan Hawke. The violence is integral to the story, and believable except for a few flights into action-movie silliness à la "Pulp Fiction." The dialogue could be stronger and the meticulously pan-ethnic cast of goodies and baddies strains our credulity a little, but it is worth suspending disbelief just to go along for the ride. Expand
  40. ToddM.
    Oct 27, 2001
    This movie is highely overrated. Don't waste your money.
  41. ShaggyCloud
    Feb 14, 2002
    An impresive police drama, that shows a realistic view of corruption an brutality of police department. Good perfomances and an outstanding script.
  42. BuddyT.
    Mar 29, 2002
    As always Denzel Washington is AWESOME! You have to see this movie...Critics Suck!
  43. SusanS.
    Apr 19, 2002
    Certainly great performances by both Denzel Washington and Ethan Hawke. The two carry the movie almost entirely themselves; the supporting characters only having one or two scenes each. The characters are well-structured, and the script is well thought out and not hackneyed. My quibble with this movie lies in the direction that it takes. The movie is shown from Hawke's character, but Certainly great performances by both Denzel Washington and Ethan Hawke. The two carry the movie almost entirely themselves; the supporting characters only having one or two scenes each. The characters are well-structured, and the script is well thought out and not hackneyed. My quibble with this movie lies in the direction that it takes. The movie is shown from Hawke's character, but it can't decide whether it's about his experience, or about the decline of Washington's character. The ending epitomizes this conflict--we are shown Washington's demise, although we have never seen him in a scene that doesn't involve Hawke but we have seen Hawke in scenes without Washington, so the change doesn't make sense. So, the purpose of the movie may be muddled, but it is definitely worth seeing for the performances. Expand
  44. Richard
    Aug 16, 2002
    By the numbers and not particularly engrossing. Washington has been better before in "Courage Under Fire," "Much Ado About Nothing," and "A Soldier's Story," to name a few. Why this particular performance was singled out for honor is beyond me. Ethan Hawke was surprisingly effective.
  45. PatC.
    Jan 15, 2004
    It's flashiness and inadequacies make it excruciatingly average.
  46. Teolo
    Nov 13, 2001
    Good film! :)
  47. DawnK.
    Nov 16, 2001
    Worth the bones!! Denzel is an extraordinary actor. Lots of action and suspense and the great thing was it wasn't predictable. You leave feeling disturbed by Denzel's character - he did his job!!
  48. BarbieC.
    Dec 18, 2002
    Denzel was excellent in this movie, this is just to show us how versatile he can be, i take my hat off for his performance. This movie showed us that everything that glitter is not gold, sometimes we are not protected 100% from our law enforcement dept, like the movie, our nation has had it's share of criminal cops.
  49. Sep 29, 2012
    Stretches the bounds of credibility but it's still gun-blazing entertaining and in spite of its excesses it still has the ring of truth to it... that there is a lot of BS to being a cop in LA but justice somehow wins its small victories. Reality aint pretty, justice aint pretty but if you want pretty, you just gotta stay away from ugly.
  50. Aug 23, 2010
    Rookie cop has first day on job with "maverick", teaches rookie to be streetwise, dodgy methods, rookie gets suspicious.
    Not as good as I'd heard but still a watchable buddy cop film gone wrong.
    Denzel Washington is brilliant (is this guy ever rubbish??) & Ethan Hawke comes out ok too. Lot of good cameos including Tom Berenger, Snoop Dogg, Dr Dre & Macy Gray. It did have a familiar feel to
    Not as good as I'd heard but still a watchable buddy cop film gone wrong.
    It did have a familiar feel to it whilst watching it even though I'd never seen it before & I assume because it wasn't all that original.
  51. Aug 2, 2011
    Grit and power in its finest form in a police tale is exemplified in Antoine Fuqua's Training Day. Never has the line between right and wrong on the streets of LA been more poetic and indulging. Denzel Washington is captivating in his role as Alonzo the mesmerising hard faced detective willing to go to unsettling methods to reign in the narcotics line bulging through the drug dominatedGrit and power in its finest form in a police tale is exemplified in Antoine Fuqua's Training Day. Never has the line between right and wrong on the streets of LA been more poetic and indulging. Denzel Washington is captivating in his role as Alonzo the mesmerising hard faced detective willing to go to unsettling methods to reign in the narcotics line bulging through the drug dominated neighborhoods our protagonists drive through. Ethan Hawke is also perfectly cast and a first day on the job trails for Washington's unit. His upstanding ethos twinned with his Innocent damaged gaze gives the two leads their Shakespearean explosiveness and appeal. Fuqua's real triumph however dwells in his shooting of an authentic LA. The city being the muse and center of the film. The real people , the culture and the threat of their lives are entangled in our characters story. A massive step forward in film making. You have never seen anything like this before. Enthralling entertainment. Expand
  52. Oct 2, 2011
    Brilliant acting by Denzel Washington and Ethan Hawke in an extremely well written movie. Critics who gave this movie any mark under 90 are certainly living inside a bubble.
  53. Aug 19, 2012
    This is not my kind of movie, but this movie is really good and it worth watching, is not just a cliché, really amazing, with good acting and a good script.
  54. Oct 23, 2012
    Absolutely loved it. Denzel is a badass. What more do you want? Well, drama, lots of it too. In addition to great acting and drama, all this **** revolves in one day and will have your mind spinning and confused. Fresh, certified by me!
  55. Feb 8, 2013
    With a good story and good acting from both Hawke and Washington, Training Day is one of those films that you simply have to see imo. Very enjoyable film.
  56. Jul 20, 2013
    Dang. Brilliantly acted, though the first 30 minutes are slow, but as you get into the film, you see why they were necessary. Not entirely what I expected, but all the same, great entertainment.
  57. Sep 1, 2013
    This is the kind of movie I hope to watch on a Saturday. This is a must watch for movie lovers! Denzel really digs into the character, showing his rookie partner how to do the job but as a corrupt cop.
  58. Nov 28, 2012
    "Training Day" is the story of Jake Hoyt (Ethan Hawke), an LAPD rookie who is looking to join a top-notch narcotics squad led by Alonzo Harris (Denzel Washington). Harris gives Hoyt one simple task; accompany him on a one-day ride-along where he must prove himself worthy of enlistment. Now from this point on the movie maintains a steady level of immense entertainment. The most noteworthy"Training Day" is the story of Jake Hoyt (Ethan Hawke), an LAPD rookie who is looking to join a top-notch narcotics squad led by Alonzo Harris (Denzel Washington). Harris gives Hoyt one simple task; accompany him on a one-day ride-along where he must prove himself worthy of enlistment. Now from this point on the movie maintains a steady level of immense entertainment. The most noteworthy aspect of this movie is Denzel Washington's Academy-Award Winning portrayal of Alonzo Harris; the rugged cop that has seemingly blurred the line between what is right and what isn't. His performance is as charismatic and imposing, as it is chilling and antagonizing. Every line that Washington delivered was either intensely funny or incredibly demented (but still funny). Which brings me to the script; "The Fast And The Furious" writer, David Ayer, delivers deeply provocative dialogue, as well as a compelling narrative that delves into some very insightful themes. The main theme of the movie, however, seems to be a blend of the "Crime doesn't pay" Expand
  59. Nov 10, 2013
    One of the best crime thrillers I've ever seen, Training day would have gotten a 9 from me had it not become somewhat sloppy in the last couple of minutes with a generic cat and mouse chase scene. Unlike most of his roles Denzel Washington's Alonzo Harris is an absolute monster. Cruel, violent, deceitful, and downright nasty, he makes other loose cannon cops like John McClane seem likeOne of the best crime thrillers I've ever seen, Training day would have gotten a 9 from me had it not become somewhat sloppy in the last couple of minutes with a generic cat and mouse chase scene. Unlike most of his roles Denzel Washington's Alonzo Harris is an absolute monster. Cruel, violent, deceitful, and downright nasty, he makes other loose cannon cops like John McClane seem like SpongeBob in the episode where he becomes a hall-monitor. Denzel rightfully earned an Oscar in this role. Dafoe also does a great job, which earned him an Oscar nomination as well. This movie is a gritty, exhilarating, and extremely well crafted thrill ride. There are plot twists and turns you won't expect, as well as lots of memorable dialogue and action. Corruption and morally ambiguous situations literally stuff the film, which makes it as thought provoking as it is visceral. Near the ending there is a generic and basically pointless chase scene which took up enough time to force me into giving it an 8 instead of a nine, but don't let this quibble discourage you from seeing it. Thanks to Training Day, the next time I walk into the DVD store, I know which movie I'm looking for first. Expand
  60. Nov 14, 2014
    Denzel Washington had one of the performances if you ask me. A lot of people may not agree with that but he won the Academy Award for it. Ethan Hawke was also a great actor in this film. Great plot as well with a lot of twists. This is a must see.
  61. Nov 21, 2014
    Training Day is a classic. Denzel Washington is electric in his role as Alonzo Harris, which is one of his best roles ever. He displays such amazing intensity as this character. I was fixed on the screen as soon as I heard Denzel's first line. Washington some of the most memorable quotes in this movie. Perhaps the best police film that was ever released. I could watch this film over andTraining Day is a classic. Denzel Washington is electric in his role as Alonzo Harris, which is one of his best roles ever. He displays such amazing intensity as this character. I was fixed on the screen as soon as I heard Denzel's first line. Washington some of the most memorable quotes in this movie. Perhaps the best police film that was ever released. I could watch this film over and over again and find something new in it each time. Alonzo Harris is so unpredictable and is probably my favorite anti-hero in all of film. Training Day will leave you guessing until the very end, where it concludes just as suddenly as it begins. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Claudia Puig
    With its unflinching style, Training Day can be hard to sit through at times. But it's worth the discomfort for the adrenaline rush of the plot and Washington's compelling performance.
  2. This is a movie that rocks and socks you, and has a performance by Washington that's ruthless and scary. But in the end, it leaves you unmarked.
  3. Reviewed by: Jay Carr
    Even when it falls back excessively on coincidence and contrived set pieces, even when it gushes irretrievably over the top in its final act, Washington makes Training Day sizzle.