8.2

1. Jul 12, 2013

Read the following: Trance is a new

Read the following:
    Trance is a new mind-bending thriller, thought provoking and absorbing, with lots of chills, thrills, good performances and good story. It was a great film with an exquisite, first rate art direction and twists. Danny Boyle delivers a new type of Trance is a new mind-bending thriller, thought provoking and absorbing, with lots of chills, thrills, good performances and good story. It was a great film with an exquisite, first rate art direction and twists. Danny Boyle delivers a new type of original cinematic experience in which audiences are absorbed and worried for Trance is a new mind-bending thriller, thought provoking and absorbing, with lots of chills, thrills, good performances and good story. It was a great film with an exquisite, first rate art direction and twists. Danny Boyle delivers a new type of original cinematic experience in which audiences are absorbed and worried for whats going to happen next.whats going to happen next. original cinematic experience in which audiences are absorbed and worried for whats going to happen next.

That's what Trance is like, points in points, which is really cool and clever. For Example: then you get to know what you read is one paragraph with one point.
  2. Apr 12, 2013
    Boyle steps back into his oddness shoes, taking a general convention and twisting it into his own little gem. Boyle traditionally makes movies that have heists involved in them, but only under the surface a kind of throw away gimmick that serves only to prop up the character drive. In Trance, Boyle switches that up in a fun way. Yes its about a heist, but that isnt what the movie is aboutBoyle steps back into his oddness shoes, taking a general convention and twisting it into his own little gem. Boyle traditionally makes movies that have heists involved in them, but only under the surface a kind of throw away gimmick that serves only to prop up the character drive. In Trance, Boyle switches that up in a fun way. Yes its about a heist, but that isnt what the movie is about an when all is said and done the two narrative webs and myths are interwoven and interchangebale in many ways. While the narrative may seem loopy and simply explained and full of holes, it';s actually well structured and must be simplistic to be comprehensible. As usual Boyle brings forth his elegant use of colours and shots. Unlike his last to films he rejects the dirty over saturated look in favour of familiar flavour. Heavy contrast mixed with camera shots that give more characterization per frame than most full features can in their entire runtime.
    The movie isn't perfect, I question the narrative structure of the third act. But overall this film is true Boyle through and through, the one who we havent seen since Sunshine. And its great to see a top dog show why he is top dog once more.
  3. Jul 29, 2013
    Trance is a really unique, colorful movie. It's filled with interesting twists and mind bending turns that will consistently keep you guessing. Check it out.
  4. Apr 19, 2013
    The twists, turns, filming, acting, cleverness, and originality of this film make it one of the best of 2013. I can't wait to watch again not only to fully understand the awesome plot, but to genuinely enjoy the amazing product of Danny Boyle's incredible talent in filmmaking. Great movie.
  5. Apr 9, 2013
    This film is certainly a Danny Boyle classic! with a unique look and story with a top performance cast, this film is a must watch. Fo all Danny Boyle fans this is certainly a must watch
  6. Aug 19, 2013
    Mind-bending simply just mind-bending...With good twists,but i don't know why we needed that Full Frontal scene.And there are some problems with Franck's character....
  7. Apr 16, 2013
    An art auctioneer (James McAvoy) plots with some criminals (led by Vincent Cassel) to steal a painting, but can't remember where he hid it. So he goes to a hypnotherapist (Rosario Dawson) for help. Sounds simple, but it twists so much that it's not completely clear what really happened. Still, the movie is worth it. Director Danny Boyle is always a superb craftsman and his slick, beautifulAn art auctioneer (James McAvoy) plots with some criminals (led by Vincent Cassel) to steal a painting, but can't remember where he hid it. So he goes to a hypnotherapist (Rosario Dawson) for help. Sounds simple, but it twists so much that it's not completely clear what really happened. Still, the movie is worth it. Director Danny Boyle is always a superb craftsman and his slick, beautiful and edgy style is on full display. Performances are sufficiently ambiguous, but it's really Boyle who's the star. Expand
  8. Aug 23, 2013
    This mind-spinning thriller is based on bold cinematography, intricate film editing, and fierce acting from all parties, especially the three principal actors James McAvoy, Vincent Cassel, and Rosario Dawson. Unfortunately, the film strains credulity a bit, and the basic premise of the film does not hold up under close scrutiny. Nevertheless, it is extremely riveting, if not, how shall IThis mind-spinning thriller is based on bold cinematography, intricate film editing, and fierce acting from all parties, especially the three principal actors James McAvoy, Vincent Cassel, and Rosario Dawson. Unfortunately, the film strains credulity a bit, and the basic premise of the film does not hold up under close scrutiny. Nevertheless, it is extremely riveting, if not, how shall I say?--hypnotizing, as long as one does not search too deeply for logic and coherence.

McAvoy, as Simon, carries most of the film in his role of security guard working for an art auction house. He is trained to protect the masterpieces from armed robbers, and he gives a fascinating voice-over tutorial on how these security procedures are carried out. But despite all the precautions, during the auctioning of Goya’s Witches in the Air, the auction house is robbed. Simon flies into action to rescue the painting, but he is confronted by bad guy Franck (Vincent Cassel) in the bowels of the building. Franck hits him over the head with the barrel of a gun, which causes Simon to have amnesia, not total amnesia, just amnesia about where he hid the painting before he got hit over the head.

Simon was actually in on the heist because he had gambling debts to pay off. Getting hit over the head convinced all witnesses that Simon tried his hardest to get that painting to safety, and the press hails him as a hero. But Franck tries to remove Simon’s fingernails to get him to confess where the painting is, and realizes that even when screaming with pain, Simon sticks to his story. Simon really does have amnesia. Therefore, what do vulgar, undereducated, gangster-type losers do when confronted with such a dilemma? Naturally, they google all the hypnotherapists in the area and tell Simon to choose one he likes. He picks Elizabeth Lamb (Rosario Dawson) because he likes the name, or so he says. Thereupon revolves the fragile hinge for the entire plot. Without revealing the whodunit, or the whoforgot-whodunit of this film, it turns out that Simon likes a lot more than the hypnotist’s name.

Simon falls in love with the hypnotist, who is so good at her job that she can make anyone remember anything, and she can even introduce evil motivations with her skills. The Goya painting, it has been noted by the critics, is the MacGuffin of the film. But thieves who steal great masterpieces of art are presumably art collectors of the most obsessive kind, because it is virtually impossible to sell a stolen masterpiece on the street. Therefore, the greedy and monetary desire to own this painting, when the thugs are kind of stupid, does not make much sense. As was noted by Alfred Hitchc*ck, a MacGuffin that is used to hunt lions in the Scottish Highlands, where there are no lions, is not a MacGuffin.

Franck the gangster also falls in love with the hypnotist; thus, we have a love triangle, where hypnotized Simon keeps remembering strange things that don’t add up to Elizabeth’s professional image. There are complicated subplots, recurring flashbacks, betrayals, and counter betrayals. The power of Elizabeth Lamb to hypnotize anyone to do her bidding makes her the Evil Mastermind of this film. The problem is that it is well documented that hypnosis cannot force anyone to do anything they don’t want to do--not even to make an unnecessary purchase. And that a hypnosis session is more like an intensely focused conversation with the hypnotist, where a deep state of trance is never actually achieved. Sigmund Freud abandoned hypnosis when he found he could achieve the same results with free association. If in fact we could get everyone to do our bidding with hypnosis, a lot of people would be lining up to pay their tuition at the nearest hypnosis institute, and we would have a hypnotist hanging out her sign on every corner.

And there goes the plot...
  9. Xon
    Jul 30, 2013
    I saw the film on Blu-Ray and it was a more than a decent film. Obviously much is expected from Danny Boyle but I felt that this might have been a guilty pleasure rather than a fully fletched project for Mr. Boyle. He worked with great actors, indulged in subject matter that I likes and I sensed that he had fun, but he ddidn't sweat it. And from the viewer the film desn't expect much of anI saw the film on Blu-Ray and it was a more than a decent film. Obviously much is expected from Danny Boyle but I felt that this might have been a guilty pleasure rather than a fully fletched project for Mr. Boyle. He worked with great actors, indulged in subject matter that I likes and I sensed that he had fun, but he ddidn't sweat it. And from the viewer the film desn't expect much of an investment either. This film is lifted beyond the mundane by good acting, lots of eye candy and good pacing. You won't mind the meaning of life but you'll think about how easy it is to play with people's minds and memories. Expand
  10. Aug 5, 2013
    Thank god for Danny Boyle! Here's a director that's not affraid to try something new. His new film Trance goes into the category 'things you've never seen before' which coincidentally are the kind of movies I wanna see. It starts out like a regular movie but gets more 'trancy' as it goes along. It's aided by a spacey and very fitting soundtrack and the unique visual style Boyle & MantleThank god for Danny Boyle! Here's a director that's not affraid to try something new. His new film Trance goes into the category 'things you've never seen before' which coincidentally are the kind of movies I wanna see. It starts out like a regular movie but gets more 'trancy' as it goes along. It's aided by a spacey and very fitting soundtrack and the unique visual style Boyle & Mantle have developed over the years. It's one of these films where you keep wondering where it's gonna go. It's an exellent film but just falls a bit short of being an instant classic. But that being said I can highly recommend this trip! Expand
  11. Apr 30, 2013
    Trance, Danny Boyle's latest endeavor, is a neo-noir drama thriller that rivals Christopher Nolan's Inception, and captivates you with its mind-bending plot. Simon (James McAvoy) works in a fine art auction house and becomes involved in a heist of the famous "Witches in the Air" by the Spanish artist Francisco Goya. During the robbery, Simon's attempt to double-cross the gang's leader,Trance, Danny Boyle's latest endeavor, is a neo-noir drama thriller that rivals Christopher Nolan's Inception, and captivates you with its mind-bending plot. Simon (James McAvoy) works in a fine art auction house and becomes involved in a heist of the famous "Witches in the Air" by the Spanish artist Francisco Goya. During the robbery, Simon's attempt to double-cross the gang's leader, Franck (Vincent Cassel), goes awry when Franck hits him on the head and gives him a concussion. After recovering from his traumatic injury, Simon, much to the dismay of the gang, can no longer remember where he has hidden the painting. Therefore, they turn to Elizabeth Lamb (Rosario Dawson), a hypnotherapist, to help Simon recover these hidden memories from the depths of his psyche. It's during these hypnotic sessions that the film comes to life, as the lines between dreams, desires, and reality begin to blur, and the truth becomes increasingly hard to discern.

In the midst of grappling with issues ranging from identity to moral ambiguity, Trance, like Boyle's other works, is a visually enticing experience with masterful use of highly saturated psychedelic colors. Nicely complementing the mesmerizing cinematography is an equally-engaging soundtrack, featuring an original electronic score composed by Rick Smith of the Underworld and memorable selections of songs, especially the use of "The Day" by Moby. While I admit, Trance requires some leaps of faith with regards to the plot, these leaps hardly pose an issue when viewing the film, and are practically non-existent with strong believable performances from the leads. In particular, Dawson shines as a surprisingly nuanced femme fatale, who straddles the carefully balanced role of both sexually-enticing and empowering.

And as the layers are peeled away, culminating in a riveting climax that is weirdly cathartic, we ask ourselves whether living in a trance, having forgotten, might be better than facing reality with those memories?
  12. Dec 21, 2013
    My god. This film is one of the best and underrated movies of all time. the script is brilliant, the acting is outstanding, the cinematography is beautiful and the editing was great
  13. Apr 9, 2013
    Boyle very nearly takes one turn too many, however, he doesn't. Trance, leaves you guessing, wondering, and sometimes doubting where the film could possibly end up, until the very end. Tense and touching at times, the twisting and turning plot, combined with McAvoy's brilliance in front of the camera make this movie a must see! Go to the cinema. Today.
  14. Apr 23, 2013
    You can read my review of Danny Boyle's newest thriller, "Trance", starring James McAvoy and Rosario Dawson here http://geektasticfilmreviews.blogspot.com/2013/04/trance.html
  15. Sep 22, 2013
    I went to see a new film by Danny Boyle called Trance. This is the guy that made Slumdog and directed the London Olympics opening ceremonies. I thought Slumdog was okay, and since I don’t care for much for ceremonial BS, I think his best work came earlier in his career, specifically, in this order- Trainspotting, 28 days later, 127 hours. He’s like almost a famous respected director, but II went to see a new film by Danny Boyle called Trance. This is the guy that made Slumdog and directed the London Olympics opening ceremonies. I thought Slumdog was okay, and since I don’t care for much for ceremonial BS, I think his best work came earlier in his career, specifically, in this order- Trainspotting, 28 days later, 127 hours. He’s like almost a famous respected director, but I don’t think he really gets true credit for being an “artist” from the critics in a way that say, Von Trier does. But I think he makes great, big budget, quasi- mainstream films. Trance is not one of these, but in a good way.

I am part of this type of film’s built in audience. Just by the fact that it is psychologically manipulative means I like it. The way that the film distorts time is excellent. The first half is straight forward, but the second half starts shifting all over the place. It’s almost completely non-linear. Because of the heavy emphasis on hypnosis we never know if what we are seeing is reality, dream, trance, past, present, future. It is a big, flashy, colorful film but it’s only out in limited release and it’s not very well advertised. After I saw it though I could perhaps see why it didn’t garner too much mainstream attention.

I heard the late Roger Ebert say what makes a great film is when it does what it sets out to do, with excellence. It needs to be an example of greatness in the category of itself. What this to “do” is is very difficult to define. Is Trance a thriller? It has a heist, it has physiological manipulation, and it has an unorthodox love story, all elements that can make for great thriller, but as they occur on screen they seem too contrived, almost satirical. There are unrealistic, sometimes goofy flaws in the acting and in the characters, and it is not until after the film has laid all its cards on the table that all the little slips that have been happening are forgiven; they make sense in context, but this is a risky move. It requires the audience to recollect. It almost doesn’t work.

Trance is like a mix of the Inception and Eternal Sunshine, but Trance does not succeed in achieving excellence in the same way these films do; however, it does do something else. I don’t think that Inception or Eternal Sunshine take the chances that Trance does, and so neither of these films make any of the same mistakes or flubs, but this also makes Trance really entertaining, and laugh-out-loud funny at times. The problem is that only in retrospect does the film really make any sense. Trance requires a certain level of forgiveness from its audience, and a truly great thriller, I think, would never require such forgiveness.

The coolest thing about seeing this film on opening night was that Boyle himself did a Q & A afterwards. He took technical questions: Do you prefer film or digital? He likes both, but sees digital as the future. Political questions: Do you think gun violence in film perpetuates real gun violence? He does, but relies on tragic paradox- the fact that we derive satisfaction from tragedy- to justify that we need these stories to be told, and sometimes, they happen to involve guns. Controversial questions: Does the UK (he’s British) do music better than the US? Yes, but since the UK does very so few things well (his words), he has no problem admitting this as one of those few.
    I wanted to ask him what he looked for in a script and if he had any advice for scriptwriters looking to get their scripts made, but he only took questions from the first few rows of the audience, and as usual, I was sitting way at the back.
  16. chw
    Aug 1, 2014
    Trance is a very interesting movie, but it was sort of confusing, having to deal with hypnosis and amnesia... but still very good, and very well acted.
  17. Apr 6, 2013
    What did Trance give you as a movie? Good Story- check, Thrills- check, James Macavoy- check, Good effects- check! It was a great film with Danny Boyle directing it is a worldwide masterpiece. The film shapes up to Dawson and Macavoy giving you the chills and thrills! It was great when it took turns and made itself viewable not like Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen in which Micheal BayWhat did Trance give you as a movie? Good Story- check, Thrills- check, James Macavoy- check, Good effects- check! It was a great film with Danny Boyle directing it is a worldwide masterpiece. The film shapes up to Dawson and Macavoy giving you the chills and thrills! It was great when it took turns and made itself viewable not like Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen in which Micheal Bay says- who cares!? Lets just give the public great VFX and dumb story and dumb plot and make ourselves money! Just Like That! But Boyle has a secret of making great films and working on them and getting 8 oscars for movies like Slumdog Millionaire! It's just that this film is so beautiful and chilling that you are hooked up till the credits! You will want to see the credits and think what a smart movie this is! Holy S! Collapse
  18. Jul 23, 2013
    Danny Boyle makes a film that works as a mind bending thriller that is well acted with great cinematography.
    McAvoy, Dawson, and Cassel are all equally great as the three leads. B+
  19. Sep 10, 2013
    The story is interesting and has some twists, the actors are great, the direction is nice too, but still something is missing, maybe some parts of the story seem irrational to me...hard to tell. But I consider user score 7.0 fair.
  20. Jul 14, 2013
    Impressive soundtrack, creative visuals, and what style. Occasionally preposterous, sure, but consistently gripping thanks to Danny Boyle. One of the more entertaining movies you will see all year.
  21. Apr 25, 2013
    I thoroughly enjoyed this movie and fail to understand why the critics are giving this film low scores. It has intrigue, mystery, twists, sex, violence, and characters that are interesting. Go see it.

If you are a fan of Danny Boyle's previous works then you will recognise his style immediately. At varying moments in the film you see his jarring camera technique used to highlight a pristine moment, or beautiful moment. It reminds me of similar times in The Beach or Sunshine and adds a sense of wonder to a film that could be considered an unhappy tale.

The three leads are in great form and do not disappoint. Particularly I liked Frank (Vincent Cassel) as the brutal and unrelenting criminal seeking the missing painting. As the film progresses we see him open up in a very realistic manner that only a decent actor can do.

As for the story it will keep you guess til the end. It has twists, turn and surprises along the way. Usually I can predict the outcome of a film; in this case I couldn't. Definitely the sign a great film.

Living in East London is was great to see the DLR and other buildings which reminded me of where I live. I quite liked that.

It isn't without it's faults though. The reveal at the end tries to explain in a logical manner what happened which is comprehensible but requires extra thought to make sense of it. Perhaps it was intended as this film is about hypnotism and was deliberately distorted to give you the impression of what it's like. But I felt it was explained poorly.

Another fault is the scheming of one character, whom I will not name, was far too controlling and planning to be plausible when none of it is revealed til the last portion of the film. How events unfold are clearly not as planned as the film makes it out to be.

All in all this is a very entertaining move I very much enjoyed. If you are a fan of Danny Boyle you shouldn't be disappointed. If you're not you'll appreciate a very good, well written, entertaining and film of a refreshing subject manner.
  22. Nov 13, 2014
    "Trance" 10 Scale Rating: 8.0 (Great) ...

The Good: Excellent film with an amazing cast. Twists and turns so often that you're not sure what is real and what isn't. Fascinating in every way and I was personally enthralled by it and just HAD to know what happens in the end. The trio of McAvoy, Dawson, and Cassel became immersed in their roles. The Bad: It does feel a little longer
    "Trance" 10 Scale Rating: 8.0 (Great) ...

The Bad: It does feel a little longer than it's 1:41 run time. This is due to a massive slow down in the middle. After a great opening act, the film switches gears and grinds to a halt. Thankfully it rebounds well.

1. Reviewed by: Ignatiy Vishnevetsky
    Jun 11, 2013
    If you can look past the sputtering conclusion — or the pseudo-intellectual banter about memory, modern art, and other assorted nonsense — what you'll find is a brisk, breezy, style-heavy crime flick that happens to be one of the most purely entertaining movies Boyle has made in a long time.
  2. Reviewed by: Joe Williams
    Apr 12, 2013
    The wrinkles between reality and illusion soon become irritating.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Apr 12, 2013
    Dawson, who to this point has largely built her career playing supporting characters, seizes the opportunity to stand center-stage, all but taking over the film.