Fox Searchlight Pictures | Release Date: April 5, 2013
8.8
Universal acclaim based on 467 Ratings
Watch Now
MovieGoer14Jul 12, 2013
Trance is a new mind-bending thriller, thought provoking and absorbing, with lots of chills, thrills, good performances and good story. It was a great film with an exquisite, first rate art direction and twists. Danny Boyle delivers a newTrance is a new mind-bending thriller, thought provoking and absorbing, with lots of chills, thrills, good performances and good story. It was a great film with an exquisite, first rate art direction and twists. Danny Boyle delivers a new type of original cinematic experience in which audiences are absorbed and worried for whats going to happen next.

Read the following:
Trance is a new mind-bending thriller, thought provoking and absorbing, with lots of chills, thrills, good performances and good story. It was a great film with an exquisite, first rate art direction and twists. Danny Boyle delivers a new type of Trance is a new mind-bending thriller, thought provoking and absorbing, with lots of chills, thrills, good performances and good story. It was a great film with an exquisite, first rate art direction and twists. Danny Boyle delivers a new type of original cinematic experience in which audiences are absorbed and worried for Trance is a new mind-bending thriller, thought provoking and absorbing, with lots of chills, thrills, good performances and good story. It was a great film with an exquisite, first rate art direction and twists. Danny Boyle delivers a new type of original cinematic experience in which audiences are absorbed and worried for whats going to happen next.whats going to happen next. original cinematic experience in which audiences are absorbed and worried for whats going to happen next.

That's what Trance is like, points in points, which is really cool and clever. For Example: then you get to know what you read is one paragraph with one point.
Blips150Aug 19, 2013
Mind-bending simply just mind-bending...With good twists,but i don't know why we needed that Full Frontal scene.And there are some problems with Franck's character....
SimpleMethodJul 29, 2013
Trance is a really unique, colorful movie. It's filled with interesting twists and mind bending turns that will consistently keep you guessing. Check it out.
gnomercyxApr 19, 2013
The twists, turns, filming, acting, cleverness, and originality of this film make it one of the best of 2013. I can't wait to watch again not only to fully understand the awesome plot, but to genuinely enjoy the amazing product of DannyThe twists, turns, filming, acting, cleverness, and originality of this film make it one of the best of 2013. I can't wait to watch again not only to fully understand the awesome plot, but to genuinely enjoy the amazing product of Danny Boyle's incredible talent in filmmaking. Great movie. Expand
rocketpackpandaApr 12, 2013
Boyle steps back into his oddness shoes, taking a general convention and twisting it into his own little gem. Boyle traditionally makes movies that have heists involved in them, but only under the surface a kind of throw away gimmick thatBoyle steps back into his oddness shoes, taking a general convention and twisting it into his own little gem. Boyle traditionally makes movies that have heists involved in them, but only under the surface a kind of throw away gimmick that serves only to prop up the character drive. In Trance, Boyle switches that up in a fun way. Yes its about a heist, but that isnt what the movie is about an when all is said and done the two narrative webs and myths are interwoven and interchangebale in many ways. While the narrative may seem loopy and simply explained and full of holes, it';s actually well structured and must be simplistic to be comprehensible. As usual Boyle brings forth his elegant use of colours and shots. Unlike his last to films he rejects the dirty over saturated look in favour of familiar flavour. Heavy contrast mixed with camera shots that give more characterization per frame than most full features can in their entire runtime.
The movie isn't perfect, I question the narrative structure of the third act. But overall this film is true Boyle through and through, the one who we havent seen since Sunshine. And its great to see a top dog show why he is top dog once more.
XonJul 30, 2013
I saw the film on Blu-Ray and it was a more than a decent film. Obviously much is expected from Danny Boyle but I felt that this might have been a guilty pleasure rather than a fully fletched project for Mr. Boyle. He worked with greatI saw the film on Blu-Ray and it was a more than a decent film. Obviously much is expected from Danny Boyle but I felt that this might have been a guilty pleasure rather than a fully fletched project for Mr. Boyle. He worked with great actors, indulged in subject matter that I likes and I sensed that he had fun, but he ddidn't sweat it. And from the viewer the film desn't expect much of an investment either. This film is lifted beyond the mundane by good acting, lots of eye candy and good pacing. You won't mind the meaning of life but you'll think about how easy it is to play with people's minds and memories. Expand
Apemonkey666Aug 5, 2013
Thank god for Danny Boyle! Here's a director that's not affraid to try something new. His new film Trance goes into the category 'things you've never seen before' which coincidentally are the kind of movies I wanna see. It starts out like aThank god for Danny Boyle! Here's a director that's not affraid to try something new. His new film Trance goes into the category 'things you've never seen before' which coincidentally are the kind of movies I wanna see. It starts out like a regular movie but gets more 'trancy' as it goes along. It's aided by a spacey and very fitting soundtrack and the unique visual style Boyle & Mantle have developed over the years. It's one of these films where you keep wondering where it's gonna go. It's an exellent film but just falls a bit short of being an instant classic. But that being said I can highly recommend this trip! Expand
kxliu19Apr 30, 2013
Trance, Danny Boyle's latest endeavor, is a neo-noir drama thriller that rivals Christopher Nolan's Inception, and captivates you with its mind-bending plot. Simon (James McAvoy) works in a fine art auction house and becomes involved in aTrance, Danny Boyle's latest endeavor, is a neo-noir drama thriller that rivals Christopher Nolan's Inception, and captivates you with its mind-bending plot. Simon (James McAvoy) works in a fine art auction house and becomes involved in a heist of the famous "Witches in the Air" by the Spanish artist Francisco Goya. During the robbery, Simon's attempt to double-cross the gang's leader, Franck (Vincent Cassel), goes awry when Franck hits him on the head and gives him a concussion. After recovering from his traumatic injury, Simon, much to the dismay of the gang, can no longer remember where he has hidden the painting. Therefore, they turn to Elizabeth Lamb (Rosario Dawson), a hypnotherapist, to help Simon recover these hidden memories from the depths of his psyche. It's during these hypnotic sessions that the film comes to life, as the lines between dreams, desires, and reality begin to blur, and the truth becomes increasingly hard to discern.

In the midst of grappling with issues ranging from identity to moral ambiguity, Trance, like Boyle's other works, is a visually enticing experience with masterful use of highly saturated psychedelic colors. Nicely complementing the mesmerizing cinematography is an equally-engaging soundtrack, featuring an original electronic score composed by Rick Smith of the Underworld and memorable selections of songs, especially the use of "The Day" by Moby. While I admit, Trance requires some leaps of faith with regards to the plot, these leaps hardly pose an issue when viewing the film, and are practically non-existent with strong believable performances from the leads. In particular, Dawson shines as a surprisingly nuanced femme fatale, who straddles the carefully balanced role of both sexually-enticing and empowering.

And as the layers are peeled away, culminating in a riveting climax that is weirdly cathartic, we ask ourselves whether living in a trance, having forgotten, might be better than facing reality with those memories?
TheFineBroDec 21, 2013
My god. This film is one of the best and underrated movies of all time. the script is brilliant, the acting is outstanding, the cinematography is beautiful and the editing was great
P4DDDYApr 9, 2013
This film is certainly a Danny Boyle classic! with a unique look and story with a top performance cast, this film is a must watch. Fo all Danny Boyle fans this is certainly a must watch
TVJerryApr 16, 2013
An art auctioneer (James McAvoy) plots with some criminals (led by Vincent Cassel) to steal a painting, but can't remember where he hid it. So he goes to a hypnotherapist (Rosario Dawson) for help. Sounds simple, but it twists so much thatAn art auctioneer (James McAvoy) plots with some criminals (led by Vincent Cassel) to steal a painting, but can't remember where he hid it. So he goes to a hypnotherapist (Rosario Dawson) for help. Sounds simple, but it twists so much that it's not completely clear what really happened. Still, the movie is worth it. Director Danny Boyle is always a superb craftsman and his slick, beautiful and edgy style is on full display. Performances are sufficiently ambiguous, but it's really Boyle who's the star. Expand
ClariseSamuelsAug 23, 2013
This mind-spinning thriller is based on bold cinematography, intricate film editing, and fierce acting from all parties, especially the three principal actors James McAvoy, Vincent Cassel, and Rosario Dawson. Unfortunately, the film strainsThis mind-spinning thriller is based on bold cinematography, intricate film editing, and fierce acting from all parties, especially the three principal actors James McAvoy, Vincent Cassel, and Rosario Dawson. Unfortunately, the film strains credulity a bit, and the basic premise of the film does not hold up under close scrutiny. Nevertheless, it is extremely riveting, if not, how shall I say?--hypnotizing, as long as one does not search too deeply for logic and coherence.

McAvoy, as Simon, carries most of the film in his role of security guard working for an art auction house. He is trained to protect the masterpieces from armed robbers, and he gives a fascinating voice-over tutorial on how these security procedures are carried out. But despite all the precautions, during the auctioning of Goya’s Witches in the Air, the auction house is robbed. Simon flies into action to rescue the painting, but he is confronted by bad guy Franck (Vincent Cassel) in the bowels of the building. Franck hits him over the head with the barrel of a gun, which causes Simon to have amnesia, not total amnesia, just amnesia about where he hid the painting before he got hit over the head.

Simon was actually in on the heist because he had gambling debts to pay off. Getting hit over the head convinced all witnesses that Simon tried his hardest to get that painting to safety, and the press hails him as a hero. But Franck tries to remove Simon’s fingernails to get him to confess where the painting is, and realizes that even when screaming with pain, Simon sticks to his story. Simon really does have amnesia. Therefore, what do vulgar, undereducated, gangster-type losers do when confronted with such a dilemma? Naturally, they google all the hypnotherapists in the area and tell Simon to choose one he likes. He picks Elizabeth Lamb (Rosario Dawson) because he likes the name, or so he says. Thereupon revolves the fragile hinge for the entire plot. Without revealing the whodunit, or the whoforgot-whodunit of this film, it turns out that Simon likes a lot more than the hypnotist’s name.

Simon falls in love with the hypnotist, who is so good at her job that she can make anyone remember anything, and she can even introduce evil motivations with her skills. The Goya painting, it has been noted by the critics, is the MacGuffin of the film. But thieves who steal great masterpieces of art are presumably art collectors of the most obsessive kind, because it is virtually impossible to sell a stolen masterpiece on the street. Therefore, the greedy and monetary desire to own this painting, when the thugs are kind of stupid, does not make much sense. As was noted by Alfred Hitchc*ck, a MacGuffin that is used to hunt lions in the Scottish Highlands, where there are no lions, is not a MacGuffin.

Franck the gangster also falls in love with the hypnotist; thus, we have a love triangle, where hypnotized Simon keeps remembering strange things that don’t add up to Elizabeth’s professional image. There are complicated subplots, recurring flashbacks, betrayals, and counter betrayals. The power of Elizabeth Lamb to hypnotize anyone to do her bidding makes her the Evil Mastermind of this film. The problem is that it is well documented that hypnosis cannot force anyone to do anything they don’t want to do--not even to make an unnecessary purchase. And that a hypnosis session is more like an intensely focused conversation with the hypnotist, where a deep state of trance is never actually achieved. Sigmund Freud abandoned hypnosis when he found he could achieve the same results with free association. If in fact we could get everyone to do our bidding with hypnosis, a lot of people would be lining up to pay their tuition at the nearest hypnosis institute, and we would have a hypnotist hanging out her sign on every corner.

And there goes the plot...
crookomasterApr 9, 2013
Boyle very nearly takes one turn too many, however, he doesn't. Trance, leaves you guessing, wondering, and sometimes doubting where the film could possibly end up, until the very end. Tense and touching at times, the twisting and turningBoyle very nearly takes one turn too many, however, he doesn't. Trance, leaves you guessing, wondering, and sometimes doubting where the film could possibly end up, until the very end. Tense and touching at times, the twisting and turning plot, combined with McAvoy's brilliance in front of the camera make this movie a must see! Go to the cinema. Today. Expand
shwanziApr 23, 2013
You can read my review of Danny Boyle's newest thriller, "Trance", starring James McAvoy and Rosario Dawson here http://geektasticfilmreviews.blogspot.com/2013/04/trance.html
theseparatorSep 22, 2013
I went to see a new film by Danny Boyle called Trance. This is the guy that made Slumdog and directed the London Olympics opening ceremonies. I thought Slumdog was okay, and since I don’t care for much for ceremonial BS, I think his best workI went to see a new film by Danny Boyle called Trance. This is the guy that made Slumdog and directed the London Olympics opening ceremonies. I thought Slumdog was okay, and since I don’t care for much for ceremonial BS, I think his best work came earlier in his career, specifically, in this order- Trainspotting, 28 days later, 127 hours. He’s like almost a famous respected director, but I don’t think he really gets true credit for being an “artist” from the critics in a way that say, Von Trier does. But I think he makes great, big budget, quasi- mainstream films. Trance is not one of these, but in a good way.

I am part of this type of film’s built in audience. Just by the fact that it is psychologically manipulative means I like it. The way that the film distorts time is excellent. The first half is straight forward, but the second half starts shifting all over the place. It’s almost completely non-linear. Because of the heavy emphasis on hypnosis we never know if what we are seeing is reality, dream, trance, past, present, future. It is a big, flashy, colorful film but it’s only out in limited release and it’s not very well advertised. After I saw it though I could perhaps see why it didn’t garner too much mainstream attention.

I heard the late Roger Ebert say what makes a great film is when it does what it sets out to do, with excellence. It needs to be an example of greatness in the category of itself. What this to “do” is is very difficult to define. Is Trance a thriller? It has a heist, it has physiological manipulation, and it has an unorthodox love story, all elements that can make for great thriller, but as they occur on screen they seem too contrived, almost satirical. There are unrealistic, sometimes goofy flaws in the acting and in the characters, and it is not until after the film has laid all its cards on the table that all the little slips that have been happening are forgiven; they make sense in context, but this is a risky move. It requires the audience to recollect. It almost doesn’t work.

Trance is like a mix of the Inception and Eternal Sunshine, but Trance does not succeed in achieving excellence in the same way these films do; however, it does do something else. I don’t think that Inception or Eternal Sunshine take the chances that Trance does, and so neither of these films make any of the same mistakes or flubs, but this also makes Trance really entertaining, and laugh-out-loud funny at times. The problem is that only in retrospect does the film really make any sense. Trance requires a certain level of forgiveness from its audience, and a truly great thriller, I think, would never require such forgiveness.

The coolest thing about seeing this film on opening night was that Boyle himself did a Q & A afterwards. He took technical questions: Do you prefer film or digital? He likes both, but sees digital as the future. Political questions: Do you think gun violence in film perpetuates real gun violence? He does, but relies on tragic paradox- the fact that we derive satisfaction from tragedy- to justify that we need these stories to be told, and sometimes, they happen to involve guns. Controversial questions: Does the UK (he’s British) do music better than the US? Yes, but since the UK does very so few things well (his words), he has no problem admitting this as one of those few.
I wanted to ask him what he looked for in a script and if he had any advice for scriptwriters looking to get their scripts made, but he only took questions from the first few rows of the audience, and as usual, I was sitting way at the back.
chwAug 1, 2014
Trance is a very interesting movie, but it was sort of confusing, having to deal with hypnosis and amnesia... but still very good, and very well acted.
DCEdmondsNov 13, 2014
"Trance" 10 Scale Rating: 8.0 (Great) ...

"Trance" 10 Scale Rating: 8.0 (Great) ...

The Good: Excellent film with an amazing cast. Twists and turns so often that you're not sure what is real and what isn't. Fascinating in every way and I was personally enthralled by it and just HAD to know what happens in the end. The trio of McAvoy, Dawson, and Cassel became immersed in their roles.

The Bad: It does feel a little longer than it's 1:41 run time. This is due to a massive slow down in the middle. After a great opening act, the film switches gears and grinds to a halt. Thankfully it rebounds well.
LamontRaymondApr 8, 2013
I had such high hopes for this film, and the first 25 minutes or so really deliver. But after that, it becomes a disorganized mess and it lacks focus. About half way through, I started checking my watch, which is a bummer in a thriller.I had such high hopes for this film, and the first 25 minutes or so really deliver. But after that, it becomes a disorganized mess and it lacks focus. About half way through, I started checking my watch, which is a bummer in a thriller. Some compare it to Inception, but that's an insult to the latter. I mean, you figure out all the "facts" of this story by the end, but it's told with such recklessness that blaming it on the "trance" or "dream" method is really just a cop-out. Expand
CtheTavApr 8, 2013
This film is touted as a mind bending thriller the likes of Inception. It sadly falls very short of greatness. This film tries to mess with the audiences head and then gives up half way through before dumping major plot points in theThis film is touted as a mind bending thriller the likes of Inception. It sadly falls very short of greatness. This film tries to mess with the audiences head and then gives up half way through before dumping major plot points in the audiences lap. The story follows James Macavoys' character who has helped in the theft of a painting but after a bump on the head can't remember where he left it. Que hypnotism and wandering what is real and what isn't if it were achieved properly(it isn't). This film is ultimately let down by a simple plot masquerading as a complex and deep psychological thriller.
Rating 5 out of 10
This film is more unnecessary subtext than substance
ThegodfathersonApr 6, 2013
What did Trance give you as a movie? Good Story- check, Thrills- check, James Macavoy- check, Good effects- check! It was a great film with Danny Boyle directing it is a worldwide masterpiece. The film shapes up to Dawson and Macavoy givingWhat did Trance give you as a movie? Good Story- check, Thrills- check, James Macavoy- check, Good effects- check! It was a great film with Danny Boyle directing it is a worldwide masterpiece. The film shapes up to Dawson and Macavoy giving you the chills and thrills! It was great when it took turns and made itself viewable not like Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen in which Micheal Bay says- who cares!? Lets just give the public great VFX and dumb story and dumb plot and make ourselves money! Just Like That! But Boyle has a secret of making great films and working on them and getting 8 oscars for movies like Slumdog Millionaire! It's just that this film is so beautiful and chilling that you are hooked up till the credits! You will want to see the credits and think what a smart movie this is! Holy S! Expand
John_HannanApr 11, 2013
Personally I found this to be quite a decent movie. It was a really gripping movie, and the plot really did tie up nicely my only real qualm was with the post-credits ending, where they just seemed to flip the bird at the rest of the moviePersonally I found this to be quite a decent movie. It was a really gripping movie, and the plot really did tie up nicely my only real qualm was with the post-credits ending, where they just seemed to flip the bird at the rest of the movie and completely alter the mood, as well as making the plot more fallible. The actual ending itself wasn't too bad, however it was nothing extraordinary. To say this movie isn't an interesting watch would be a lie, and to say that it doesn't make you think would be one too, but it's far from a perfect movie. Expand
podriscoll27Apr 20, 2013
I like Danny Boyle's work and I enjoy complex and clever films but this one is convoluted purely for the sake of it. Aside from the story, the visuals in this movie simply aren't worth the trek to the cinema. From start to finish it seemsI like Danny Boyle's work and I enjoy complex and clever films but this one is convoluted purely for the sake of it. Aside from the story, the visuals in this movie simply aren't worth the trek to the cinema. From start to finish it seems made for the small screen, sometimes compensating for the lack of visual story-telling with the use of loud and frenzied music which is also used to spice up scenes that lack suspense. On the whole, however, the story isn't there. The script could've done with a dozen more drafts. If you're still anyway interested, I'd advise waiting for it on TV. Expand
hoops2448Apr 26, 2013
Danny Boyle is back to playing with your head in his latest feature Trance, a film that blasts out of the gates before it whimpers across the finish due to the films overburdened, twist filled story. Trance follows Simon (James McAvoy), anDanny Boyle is back to playing with your head in his latest feature Trance, a film that blasts out of the gates before it whimpers across the finish due to the films overburdened, twist filled story. Trance follows Simon (James McAvoy), an art exhibitor who gets attacked by robbers during a mid auction robbery when the robbers realize the painting they stole was taken by Simon they must find out where, something a bump on the head seems to have erased. With the help of hypnotherapist Elizabeth (Rosario Dawson) they might actually discover what happened to it. Despite the strong cast and a career high performance for Dawson, Trance ultimately leaves a bitter taste in your mouth because the high caliber direction and acting being let down by a story so incredibly complicated and far fetched. The film opens with the robbery and everything about it is exhilarating, it is directed with flair and has a killer soundtrack to boot (in fact the movies soundtrack is superb). The problem is that thanks to the truly awesome opening the film never manages to live up to it. Another problem is that the film has something to say about art and obsession but the film is so jumbled and at times confusing that deciphering some kind of meaning or message is nigh on impossible. The film also uses violence (most of it excessive) and nudity (all of it excessive) but its never really necessary, except for one key scene towards the end. When the film does use violence it always feels like its too much and ruins a crime drama that could have used a little more subtlety to say what it wanted instead of trying to shock an audience who came to be entertained, not disturbed. The finale while impressive visually feels forced and oddly safe for a Boyle film. It's a shame that after some time away Danny Boyle has returned with a film on par with the thoroughly disappointing 127 hours. Ultimately its a film built around a premise so complex that when it comes down to it the picture crumbles under the weight of its own plot. Expand
mrniceApr 3, 2014
I struggled to keep up with the plot, and ultimately missed a few major plot points. When I read up on what I 'missed', the movie still seems oddly constructed to conceal that there's not much to it. I doubted that it was a Danny Boyle filmI struggled to keep up with the plot, and ultimately missed a few major plot points. When I read up on what I 'missed', the movie still seems oddly constructed to conceal that there's not much to it. I doubted that it was a Danny Boyle film until the credits where I had to google him asking myself "is this a different Boyle?". Most of the movie is down-to-earth, like a tv drama or something, but in the few explosive action scenes, it gets unnecessarily unpleasant. It feels like they doubted the movie would have a single memorable scene without a few all-out shocking frames. At the end, I question whether I want to remember or forget the movie. I doubt I'm even granted the choice. Expand
suity_saharAug 6, 2013
Decent movie. Could have been a whole lot better cuz the idea was interesting. However the movie fell flat towards the end and was not really exciting throughout. Good music though. Worst Danny Boyle film I have seen.
boredthorApr 8, 2013
I was close to rating it a zero actually. Because this film it doesn't worth your time actually. There is nothing in it. Plot is so simple and understandable, that I find it utterly ridiculous that people like it. C'mon guys you're betterI was close to rating it a zero actually. Because this film it doesn't worth your time actually. There is nothing in it. Plot is so simple and understandable, that I find it utterly ridiculous that people like it. C'mon guys you're better than that! Don't look at this piece of and pretend its a diamond. Everything about this film is worthless. But the biggest letdown is definitely the script. Its really, really stupid. I actually hate that people compare it to Inception. This movie has no depth only the depth of badness it drops you into.

Actually hypnosis the core of the film is executed very poorly. Why one just don't go and make his homework for God's sake! Just sit in some open sessions and see what it looks like. Its nowhere near what is shown in this film. And the last scene is just plain stupid. Why is it there? I don't know. The plot has so many holes and flows it's just ripping apart right before our eyes. Also for me the film was very boring. Right from the start (at about 20 min.) I already guessed what as going on. And I wasn't the only one! I heard whispers all around me at the theater. People got the plot from 20 minutes into the movie! And the plot must have been a strong point here. That's just nuts.

I have a feeling that this film had once a marvelous script or maybe just a story. But it got torn, ripped and crushed and became this piece of awfulness. I really hope that Danny Boyle will stick to his guts and make good thrillers. Because this one right here is not a movie that should receive such high grades.
lawrenceUKApr 9, 2013
I was really looking forward to this movie. What the hell happened? The movie is average at best. The plot had great potential but fell flat and loses focus. Honestly it drags and becomes boring. There really is nothing to it and has no realI was really looking forward to this movie. What the hell happened? The movie is average at best. The plot had great potential but fell flat and loses focus. Honestly it drags and becomes boring. There really is nothing to it and has no real impact. VERY disappointed. Expand
StaticSpineSep 10, 2013
The story is interesting and has some twists, the actors are great, the direction is nice too, but still something is missing, maybe some parts of the story seem irrational to me...hard to tell. But I consider user score 7.0 fair.
foxgroveApr 7, 2013
The pre credits of Trance had me thinking that i was in for a really good thriller. It's not long though, before the film degenerates into a confusing exercise in style over substance, meandering towards a denouement that is a long timeThe pre credits of Trance had me thinking that i was in for a really good thriller. It's not long though, before the film degenerates into a confusing exercise in style over substance, meandering towards a denouement that is a long time coming. There is a lot of back story exposition before the unremarkable ending, (one sudden shock involving a minor character not withstanding) and to say that the plot development requires much suspension of disbelief is to understate. Overall it's a pity because the first half an hour had me enthralled. At best this effort by Danny Boyle can only be considered an interesting mis fire. Expand
will824Dec 4, 2013
This seemed like an interesting plot of a movie, so much that we chose to watch it among 4 other quite good movies. When the movie started I actually thought it was interesting, nevertheless as time passed the initial good feeling started toThis seemed like an interesting plot of a movie, so much that we chose to watch it among 4 other quite good movies. When the movie started I actually thought it was interesting, nevertheless as time passed the initial good feeling started to become boredom and later dislike.

This movie is a poor try to confuse your mind into not knowing what is happening in it and it tries so hard that at some point it loses focus and becomes a pointless mixture of scenes.

When I finished watching it, I thought it was a bad movie, but one day later I realized it was a waste of 1.5 hours of my life.

Its a shame because the actors that participated were quite good, still it was not enough to save this movie. I almost never give a 0 for score in anything I see, as I value the work put into content, be movies, games or other things, but this movie is one of the 3 that deserves that '0' score
CasteAug 10, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I wanted to like the movie but...
Ok, the girl get hurt but she is also guilty, and the movie tries to put her as the 'good guy'.
I don't want to sound troll, but I think the better end should be all of them shattered in pieces :D
BrianMcCriticJul 23, 2013
Danny Boyle makes a film that works as a mind bending thriller that is well acted with great cinematography.
McAvoy, Dawson, and Cassel are all equally great as the three leads. B+
Prodigy2013Jul 3, 2013
It’s always good to feast your eyes on a pulp inspired film every now and then; and while Danny Boyle’s ‘Trance’ is much thinner than his morehis more recent outings, it proves to be a trippy good time. The movie stars James McAvoy, as a fineIt’s always good to feast your eyes on a pulp inspired film every now and then; and while Danny Boyle’s ‘Trance’ is much thinner than his morehis more recent outings, it proves to be a trippy good time. The movie stars James McAvoy, as a fine art auctioneer, who attempts to double-cross the thieves he partnered with in a heist, and pilfer the painting himself. However, after a blow to the head he forgets where he hid the painting and the band of thieves, lead by Vincent Cassel, are not very happy. Twisty isn’t it? And like all good pieces of pulp entertainment, you need a sultry femme fatale to foil the plan of both our misguided hero and scheming villain. Enter Rosario Dawson as Elizabeth, the psychiatrist hired by Franck (Cassel) to probe Simon’s (McAvoy) mind through hypnosis, in order to find out where the painting is hidden. Intriguing isn’t it!? While interesting, the plot was quite convoluted; and as the story progresses the water becomes murkier, making it difficult to distinguish hypnosis induced dreams from reality. This was clearly an over indulgent move on the part of the writer, who attempts to add complexity to the puzzle but lost his way in the process. But thankfully he found his way eventually; and one could even argue that in the end everything adds up, even if it was all a bit of a stretch. And as I implied earlier, all this adds a nice dose of intrigue to the plot. Boyle’s direction is stylish as usual, and complements must be given to the dreamy cinematography and most of all, the edgy film editing. Jon Harris’ editing job was incredibly complex, as it was cool. ‘Trance’ may not be a particularly memorable film, but it worked for me. The positives outweighed the negatives (if even slightly so), and I enjoyed every minute of it. Expand
DuckNationMay 22, 2014
"Do you want to remember or do you want to forget?"

"Do you want to remember or do you want to forget?"

Coming from Danny Boyle i was expecting a lot then this, Trance tries to be like Inception with the psychological thriller feel but the end result isn't up to par with his previous films. The cast was a big selling point for me as James McAvoy, Rosario Dawson, and Vincent Cassel are all great actors and they all ended up doing solid performances, actually i thought that James McAvoy did a superb job maybe the best iv'e seen of him. Trance story gets messy at times when it comes to the psychological part whereas Inception's keeps a smooth flow throughout.

The film follows Simon (James McAvoy) a fine art auctioneer with a huge gambling problem, he soon becomes in deep in debt with many people and the only way to pay them off is to trade his debt for a very rich painting to a gang leader. On the day of the auction Simon double-crosses the gang resulting in the gang leader Franck (Vincent Cassel) hitting him over the head with a shotgun causing him to have amnesia. From here the psychological feel takes on a heavy role in the film as the gang takes Simon to go see a hypnotist Elizabeth Lamb (Rosario Dawson) She dissects his mind to make him remember where he put the painting. This happens multiple times taking a psychological tole on Simon to a point to where he doesn't know what's real and what's not.

The pace of the film was also something i didn't like the beginning starts out nice then slows down after that the pace only picks it up for short segments then goes back to slowing down. All this was fine but once they got into the car heading for the painting at the end of the film and Elizabeth is explaining to Simon what really went on, in that really long dawn out scene that we all seen coming anyways, it was just a complete bore to me and i couldn't wait for it to be over. The very last sentence in the movie is Elizabeth saying Do you want to remember or do you want to forget? and the first thing that popped up into my head was forget this disappointing movie.

Overall i give it a 6.0 Oh yeah i totally forgot that Rosario Dawson went fully nude in this, I do have to say it was quite nice.
SpangleFeb 8, 2017
Where is the line between a messy and convoluted film and one that is brilliantly mind bending? Danny Boyle's Trance largely walks this line and, at times, proves to be properly phenomenal. At others, the film unravels and shows just how thinWhere is the line between a messy and convoluted film and one that is brilliantly mind bending? Danny Boyle's Trance largely walks this line and, at times, proves to be properly phenomenal. At others, the film unravels and shows just how thin it was stretched by Boyle. Though stylish, compelling, and a truly trippy experience, Trance has some moments that simply do not add up and, even then, its plot is nothing more than Inception by way of Boyle's fast paced point of view. While proving to be a riveting experience at times with how Boyle constantly pulls the rug out from under you, it is merely a slice of entertainment that serves to divert you attention away from the sad twist awaiting you at the end. That said, it is a brilliantly shot film with a terrific visual style. Unfortunately, it simply does not add up to being an equally great film.

With a penchant for lens flares during dream/trance sequences, Danny Boyle's Trance is a gorgeous film. The lighting, translucent walls, and vibrant colors adorn this film at every turn and really make it a visually splendid endeavor. Boyle introduces a few oblique angles in this one of an apartment building, hinting at how things may go wrong in this place of residence. A beautifully taken shot, the glowing of the street lights on wet cobblestone and rock exterior of the building is a tremendous film. Even if it is a dangerous place, it is a place that beckons the viewer just as it beckons Simon (James McAvoy). Manipulated, confused, and lost from the very beginning, Simon is a man who is unaware of his past, his present, and what is truly real as a result of the hypnosis, hits on the head, and actions of his past. McAvoy is good in the role, even if it does not come close to the brilliance of his turn in Split. Alongside him, Vincent Cassel is slippery as an eel and Naomie Harris goes fully nude (even down below) in a good role that, again, does not reach the level of his 2016 performance in Moonlight. Thus, the film is not just a mishmash of colors, but also a great opportunity for these actors and one they take full advantage of throughout.

Boyle infuses the film with his usual style. His fast paced film editing technique comes in handy here with quick cuts and a lot of panache behind the camera. Yet, the very peak of this film is the opening. The heist sequence during the art auction is brilliant. It is plotted out well, incredibly well captured, and drop dead tense. This is a film that comes out firing on all cylinders with a compelling first act that sets the entire plot into motion. Boyle also has considerable fun with the plot itself, allowing it to spiral out of control at times and become borderline messy and too convoluted. He embraces this and paints the film as a beautiful disaster at times to varying effect. That said, even when the film becomes too much and makes no sense, it is fun to watch Boyle fling everything at the wall without a care for what sticks and what does not stick. As a talented director, he is in full control of this insanity and, likely, a lot of it does not make sense to him either, but to try and understand this one would lead to simply not understanding the purpose of the film. It is a film that puts you in a trance and leads you down various allies. It is not to be understood, but rather, it is an exercise in visual style and fully dynamic.

SPOILERS

Unfortunately, the film does not always quite add up plot-wise. The biggest issue in Trance is the ending. The twist reveals that it was Elizabeth (Naomie Harris) who had put Simon in a trance and led to him assisting in the art theft. She manipulated him and made him forget his past relationship with her in order to end his obsession and get rich off of the deal regardless. Yet, in the beginning, we see she does not know Simon. She plays it off that she does not in front of him, yes, but Boyle includes a scene where she looks up Simon on the internet and investigates recent news stories about him, including one about the heist. She acts like she does not know who he is, because if she knew who he was, she would have known about the heist and who Simon was without the help of Google. This is not something that is rectified and is something that seems odd. The film is subversive and tries to distract the viewer from fully understanding, but it becomes clear that the twist is added for shock value, rather than it actually making any sense with the rest of the film. There are hints - restaurant, the book, etc. - that do add up to the ending, but that internet search sequence is glaring and problematic.

END SPOILERS

Hypnotic, confusing, and a visual feast for the eyes, Danny Boyle's Trance does not always work, but it is a riveting film that provides solid entertainment throughout. It is a film that seems to be making things up as it goes, but for his part, Danny Boyle infuses incredible style and has a lot of fun with the mind bending psychological thriller.
SeriosityJul 14, 2013
Impressive soundtrack, creative visuals, and what style. Occasionally preposterous, sure, but consistently gripping thanks to Danny Boyle. One of the more entertaining movies you will see all year.
bm2759Apr 25, 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this movie and fail to understand why the critics are giving this film low scores. It has intrigue, mystery, twists, sex, violence, and characters that are interesting. Go see it.

If you are a fan of Danny Boyle's

If you are a fan of Danny Boyle's previous works then you will recognise his style immediately. At varying moments in the film you see his jarring camera technique used to highlight a pristine moment, or beautiful moment. It reminds me of similar times in The Beach or Sunshine and adds a sense of wonder to a film that could be considered an unhappy tale.

The three leads are in great form and do not disappoint. Particularly I liked Frank (Vincent Cassel) as the brutal and unrelenting criminal seeking the missing painting. As the film progresses we see him open up in a very realistic manner that only a decent actor can do.

As for the story it will keep you guess til the end. It has twists, turn and surprises along the way. Usually I can predict the outcome of a film; in this case I couldn't. Definitely the sign a great film.

Living in East London is was great to see the DLR and other buildings which reminded me of where I live. I quite liked that.

It isn't without it's faults though. The reveal at the end tries to explain in a logical manner what happened which is comprehensible but requires extra thought to make sense of it. Perhaps it was intended as this film is about hypnotism and was deliberately distorted to give you the impression of what it's like. But I felt it was explained poorly.

Another fault is the scheming of one character, whom I will not name, was far too controlling and planning to be plausible when none of it is revealed til the last portion of the film. How events unfold are clearly not as planned as the film makes it out to be.

All in all this is a very entertaining move I very much enjoyed. If you are a fan of Danny Boyle you shouldn't be disappointed. If you're not you'll appreciate a very good, well written, entertaining and film of a refreshing subject manner.
raporgiOct 12, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Stupid movie pretending to be a smart movie. The movie wants us to buy the idea that James Macavoy's character needs to phuckk Rosario Dawson so he can remember where the painting is. This simple solution is made complicated supposedly by the fact that the Macavoy character is feeling jealous of Cassel's character who phuckks the Dawson character first. How can you feel jealous about a woman you barely know? Why do the gangsters bow down to the hypnotist's demands for equal partnership just like that? This movie is just an excuse for the director to show of his girlfriend's newly bought tatas Expand
callumjsouthDec 13, 2014
Refreshing, the film was able to keep me entertained throughout. The combination of classic film elements such as mystery, drama and action makes for a diverse experience within an original and actually quite captivating story. The lack ofRefreshing, the film was able to keep me entertained throughout. The combination of classic film elements such as mystery, drama and action makes for a diverse experience within an original and actually quite captivating story. The lack of predictability is always nice to see, as is a strong performance from James McAvoy. The inclusion of strongly emphasised mystery can cause it to stall at times though which is the only major frustration. Minor flaws come in the form of the amateur cinematic feel and a slight lack of direction. Whichever genre you are into, Trance may cause you to further look into the mystery one. Expand
ryanneevmanNov 22, 2014
The film just does not offer a lot. It has lots of little amounts of things: some good acting, some likableness of the characters, and some actually entertaining moments. Overall, Trance paints itself into a corner of just soley telling aThe film just does not offer a lot. It has lots of little amounts of things: some good acting, some likableness of the characters, and some actually entertaining moments. Overall, Trance paints itself into a corner of just soley telling a story, and rushing past everything else. Expand
tethysdustNov 24, 2016
It seemed at first like this would be a simple heist-gone-wrong story, but it ended up being so much more complicated. I couldn't always tell what was real and what was not, but everything is made clear by the end. Warning for nudity &It seemed at first like this would be a simple heist-gone-wrong story, but it ended up being so much more complicated. I couldn't always tell what was real and what was not, but everything is made clear by the end. Warning for nudity & violence, if that will bother you. Expand
MovieMasterEddyApr 3, 2016
Danny Boyle has great and plainly evident fun adding twists and curves and tunnels and endless style to his modern London noir Trance, but he makes so many left turns that the film turns in on itself rather than going anywhere.

he

he trickiness of this tale of a big-time art heist and its aftermath generates intrigue; the visual and aural flash is seductive; and then there is Rosario Dawson, who has never been as dazzling or dominant onscreen as she is in this central performance. But in the end this head trip about thieves, treachery and memory recovery seems more ornamental than substantial, a sleight-of-hand piece that leaves you with that empty feeling. Commercial prospects internationally seem good with edge- and hip-seeking young audiences, not so hot with the rest.
At the crux of the knotty screenplay by Joe Ahearne (who wrote and directed the little-seen 2001 British TV movie of the same name) and John Hodge (who scripted Boyle's first four films, beginning with Shallow Grave and Trainspotting) is the inability of one robber to remember where he might have left a Goya painting after the gang successfully lifts it from a tightly secured auction where “Witches in the Air” had just sold for £27.5 million (in real life, the painting resides in the Prado in Madrid).

And why can't Simon (James McAvoy) recall where he hid the painting? Because his cohort Francis (Vincent Cassel), suspecting betrayal, cracked him on the cranium during the job. For a film built on the premise of continual revelations of new levels of awareness, complicity, intentions and motivations, it's not too much to disclose that the heist is an inside job perpetrated by Francis and three thugs in cahoots with auction house employee Simon, who firmly believes in his company's motto, “No piece of art is worth a human life.”
Enduring torture before convincing Francis that he truly doesn't know the whereabouts of the 1797 painting, which depicts a gang of evil-doers in the act of a snatching, Simon agrees to undergo hypnosis therapy in the hope of disinterring the crucial bit of memory. This takes on a comical dimension when the distractingly beautiful American therapist Dr. Elizabeth Lamb (Dawson), upon discovering that Simon's crew is listening in, insists that they join in for group sessions. Once she realizes what the stakes are, she wants an equal piece of the action.
And so it goes from there, as the film sails off in a swirl of one-upmanship, mutual suspicions, sexual competitiveness and ever-morphing personal geometry that depends most of all upon who's thinking more moves ahead in the game than anyone. At first, Elizabeth appears to be firmly in the driver's seat, as she alone seems to hold the key that will unlock Simon's mind. This impression is enormously boosted by Dawson's powerful presence; Elizabeth's mental capacity registers as all the more formidable thanks to the personal confidence Dawson conveys, which in turn is multiplied by the palpable erotic allure she exudes at every moment to those around her.

Thanks to Boyle's aggressive direction and Anthony Dod Mantle's vibrantly colored cinematography, which combine for a more deliberately consistent and glowing look than they did in Slumdog Millionaire, the film possesses a robust physicality that constantly engages, whether it's patently artificial, as in the look of a club where some of the interrogations take place, or emphatically natural, as when Dawson strides toward the camera in a spectacularly surprising nude scene.

McAvoy and Cassel also are shot in a way that makes them pop, and both actors are completely alive to every moment of their scenes.

Trance is not precisely a case of all style and no substance, as Boyle and his writers are, in fact, trying to deepen and, in certain ways, humanize hardboiled crime drama by introducing multiple layers of meaning, emotion and insight; enough pieces of the puzzle fit that the story, if one straightens the sequencing and psychology out in one's mind, seems to make sense.

All the same, the overriding impression is one of a game in which the narrative tricks and amped-up pulse dominate over all other concerns. It's as if the challenge the filmmakers set for themselves was not so much to tell a story as to discover how many clever and devious ways they could disguise and hide what's coming, to the point that the subject seems to serve the style rather than the other way around.

A super-stylish modern noir that's rather too clever for its own good.