6.5

1. Apr 19, 2014
    I don't understand why everybody is so negative when it comes to Johnny Depp I went into this film with high hopes and it did not disappoint it had what I was looking for a great story with some action and drama as well this film was very interesting to look at with very good visuals and some top notch actors like Morgan Freeman & Cillan Murphy & Paul Bettany comparing such a film like this to others is just plain wrong I found this movie very good 10 out of 10 and one of the most underrated films I've seen this year. Expand
  2. Apr 22, 2014
    My girlfriend and I were excited to see this movie for different reasons. I'm currently majoring in Computer Science and I've done a lot of research in the field of artificial intelligence, so I love everything relating to the singularity. I also hate it when a movie promises to deliver something that it ends up failing to deliver. Transcendence was a spectacular (although most certainly dramatized) prediction of what will happen when the human mind and computer processing coalesce.

THE GOOD:
    -Astounding special effects
    -Great cinematography (directed by Wally Pfister)
    -Pretty good acting from the whole cast
    -Morgan Freeman
    -Realism (not to say there weren't a few "come on" moments)

THE BAD:
    -Mostly minor plot holes
    -Somewhat misused technical vocabulary (to the untrained ear it probably sounded fine)
    -Copper fences don't insulate all electrical signals, which is a pretty major point
    -The ending could have been better (by which I mean more fortunate)

ELABORATION (¡SPOILERS!):
    -Jargon: "It's based on my code, so I can hack it."
  3. Apr 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is one of the better movies I have seen in years, Don't listen to those negative reviews if you like any science fiction. This movie has great characters the story is very good and its not at all cheesy.
    People might think its cheesy with what seems to be nano particles floating in the air with nano machines which is actually completely possible. This movie makes you question "are you... you?" when you make a copy of yourself is it really still you or a copy and is that not actually you in the first place.
    Plot holes are pretty limited in this movie the only ones I can think of are EMP'S would have been the weapon of choice and even an ai can't break cryptography so people should have been still alright from his influence.
    It does some respect to the whole concept of the "singularity" which is based in reality and people seem to think something like this is not possible when in reality we are heading towards it everyday.

Also if he was himself how come he took over other peoples body's if it was him he would have known its morally wrong also couldn't he have made a copy of himself and disconnect but still he should be a human right why did he die?

Regardless this movie was great.
  4. Apr 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really enjoyed this movie. There is a deep underlying love story going on underneath all the sci-fi elements that has been exposed in the trailers. The beginning literally starts off with a bang and doesn't let go. The ending had me floored for hours after thinking about it. When you have a goal or a vision, sometimes the path you take to get there is not the way you originally planned it out to be. Excellent movie. "Transcendence" definitely transcended into my top 10 favorite movies of all time. Expand
  5. Apr 21, 2014
    One can only enjoy this movie with the mindset. This is not an action movie. This is not an adventure movie. This is not a hack and slash and explosion movie. The actions are only cosmetic and added only as an afterthought.

This is a movie that dramatize the problems faced in philosophy of mind: does that which behaves as if it has consciousness indeed has consciousness? This is a movie
    that envision the fulfillment of the promise of science to modern man: salvation through technology.

It is sad to read reviews debasing this movie based on 'horrible action sequences'.
  6. Apr 27, 2014
    I dont understand the critic. For me the movie was quite good (although there were some little logical gaps). But in comparising to other filmes in cinema this one is really good !
  7. Apr 21, 2014
    I think this was an excellent film. I went for two reasons. The cast was interesting (and didn’t disappoint), and some critics I trust (most of the time) came in late in the review cycle with “green” level reviews. This movie was neither mindless action nor space opera. It had ideas, which were worked out in a coherent way. My friends and I debated these ideas within the context of the film long after the film was over. But even though it had ideas, this was not a boring film. I fall asleep easily at the movies, even when I have had a good night’s sleep, and this movie held my attention on all levels – ideas and story – throughout. Maybe this film will turn out to be an “Alien” – a movie a lot of critics hated when it debuted (including Leonard Maltin and Roger Ebert), but came to consider a classic many years later. I don’t think Transcendence is as great or as original as Alien, but it is a film that should have gotten better reviews than it did and I hope will gain more appreciation in the future. Expand
  8. Apr 22, 2014
    This film is quite bold, but not to a fault as the "journalists" would have you believe. Its boldness is found mostly in its subject matter and its ALMOST incomprehensibly-deep questioning of what it means to be self-aware. Sure, the movie is daring and isn't straight forward with its motives, but that's what makes a movie more than just changing pictures like a flip-book. When I read the "pro critic" reviews I can't help but feel disheartened at their calling their dislike a result of their incomprehension of the plot points of the movie. While I understand it is an opinion, I also understand that a rational mind does not take one look at something nontrivial and treat it as such. This film, like any great story, leaves deep-seated thoughts that keep you thinking long after the film. Perhaps they are "pro critics" for a reason. After all, they say it doesn't take half a mind to judge but a whole mind not to. Expand
  9. Apr 30, 2014
    This has to be one of the most maligned and misunderstood films to come along in a very long time. This film is two things 1. A love story. 2. A cautionary tale of human mistrust and irrational fear. When you combine these two things, as ever, you have a tragedy. A sad tale of greatness just out of reach due to the ignorance of man yet to be "Transcended". Brilliant piece of cinema.
  10. Apr 21, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Just saw Transcendence tonight and really enjoyed it. It'll probably do poorly in the box office, following suit with other clever sci-fi movies like The Matrix, because critics and movie goers fail to comprehend and therefore appreciate it first time around. There are some very profound messages in this movie, which includes many biblical references, the end being analogous to the creation story, when humanity rejects God's love and is cast out of the garden of Eden, which is where Rebecca Hall and Jonny Depp's characters end up in the end (the sanctuary), which could raise questions to whether or not this cycle has occurred already or not, when technology reaches the point where total harmony is produced, but is then rejected by us due to our fear of the unknown. The movie will probably take a few viewings to fully appreciate. I am not religious by the way. Expand
  11. May 13, 2014
    Okay I really like this movie, in fact it's one of the if not THE best Johnny Depp movie I've ever watched if you don't count Pirates of The Caribbean. EPICNESS
  12. Jun 21, 2014
    Again thanks for the people that believe in this story, it shows that technology is not artificial, if we humans are organic and from this world, why the technology we create should not be organic and natural, people that meditate is getting connected to the hole cosmos, even the Nobel prize, deepak chopra has demonstrated with physics that ideas are energy, I know common people won't understand this movie like the fight club in its beginning, now in the top ten of imdb, but try to go further in your thinking and feelings... Expand
  13. Jun 11, 2014
    I think that the majority of people really did not understand this film at all. I get it, This film wasn't a warning against the evils of overzealous technology. It is a warning against fearful, regressive, overzealous, violent, ignorant humans, and how they destroyed their own salvation. It is a warning against going back to the dark ages because of our fears of things that we don't understand. It is a warning against all regressive ideals. Against religion, against fear, against ignorance. Expand
  14. Jul 21, 2014
    Another great Sci-Fi film to add to my favourites; it has a brilliant ensemble cast, this writer, Jack Paglen obviously knows technology, and futurology, and he almost made believe nanotech can be possible irl. the story was fairly simple and not too complex. I love the very last scene, it made me cry happy tears.
  15. Jul 1, 2014
    The fact that "Sci-fi" movies like 'The Avengers' and 'Captain America' get better ratings shows how under-developed the human mind is. Somehow, Hulk smashing imaginary aliens from another world is more meaningful than how humans fear that they do not understand. There is a lot you can learn about how pathetic the average human behaviour is from the movie. Highly recommended!
  16. May 10, 2014
    I just saw this movie without knowing what I was going to expect and, i have to say, i'm now shocked how this had so many bad ratings in various websites and "experts" in movies. This movie is great, is beautiful, is pure genius. At the end of the movie you'll find yourself thinking about everything really. To me, this is more than Oscar material, this could e the movie of my life, only future will decide it.

I believe that there are many negative ratings because most people didn't "understand" it, didn't get the feeling that I got after watching the movie.
  17. Jul 18, 2014
    a human can possibly love someone this much.. i mean, infinity, countless and also ..Blind Minded.
    i love the storyline, critics is thing we needed to make anything better.. but, the fact that most people hated this movie, this makes me hate people more ..
    And Also ...
    "How far would you go to save the one you love?"

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Apr 27, 2014
    Transcendence is a muddle; it takes more creative energy than this to catch up to the present. [28 April 2014, p.86]
  2. Reviewed by: Tim Robey
    Apr 24, 2014
    Transcendence is the worst, most portentous, and certainly the silliest big-budget science fiction film since the 2008 Keanu Reeves remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still.
  3. Reviewed by: Amon Warmann
    Apr 24, 2014
    While the core concepts of Transcendence and the questions they pose are inherently interesting, the manner in which the themes are explored feels extremely superficial.