Transsiberian

7.0

1. JimC.
    Nov 15, 2008
    A fabulous movie with great acting, a mysterious plot that keeps one quessing and interesting scenery. Too bad it didn't make it to the big screens.
  2. HS.
    Sep 11, 2008
    Compelling, beatifully photographed, implausible plot, unsatisfying ending.
  3. SteF.
    Nov 11, 2008
    Great looking movie with some excellent camera work.
  4. AideenM.
    Nov 14, 2008
    The scariest movie I've seen this year.
  5. BobH.
    Oct 11, 2008
    An engaging excitiing movie which maintains one's interest throughout.
  6. PGo
    Oct 22, 2008
    Too much stereotypes and Russians played by Lithuanians, come on... Don't compare the director to Hitchcock under any circumstances.
  7. JayH.
    Oct 31, 2008
    Good thriller, plenty of suspense, fine performanes and a story that will hold your interest. It is not particularly original but it's handled professionally. Good score and cinematography.
  8. KarinM.
    Jul 30, 2008
    A really interesting and exciting movie, should be more popular.
  9. SennisL.
    Aug 27, 2008
    Emily Mortimer is the best thing in a not-bad thriller. Her character is written to be complex, and the actress nails it. Ben Kingsley adds some flavor. Some convenient bits for the plot to progress, but I recommend it.
  10. GavrilL.
    Sep 9, 2008
    Great thriller....this a the sleeper of the year.
  11. robz
    Jan 21, 2009
    Superb acting, a twisting, suspenseful plot, and beautful back drop propelled this movie as a very pleasant surprise.
  12. EssiS
    Mar 18, 2009
    I was expecting good things from this film, but I was totally blown away by it´s great script, matched with perfect directing and cast performances. Also the locations were beautiful and mesmerizing. The score was also just right. Transsiberian reminded me a little bit of Woody Allens Match Point, which is also an amazing thriller.It is not the easiest genre to pull of, but this I was expecting good things from this film, but I was totally blown away by it´s great script, matched with perfect directing and cast performances. Also the locations were beautiful and mesmerizing. The score was also just right. Transsiberian reminded me a little bit of Woody Allens Match Point, which is also an amazing thriller.It is not the easiest genre to pull of, but this film nailed it! I don´t have anything bad to say about this movie. Go see it! Expand
  13. TomR.
    Nov 6, 2008
    I was never sure which genre this plot would twist into - the dining car-door scene totally unsettled me - I felt like Roy looked shortly after. Smashing film.
  14. andrew
    Dec 12, 2008
    Very entertaining, intelligent thriller. Well written dialogue and interesting characters, surprising plot shifts, and interesting settings - all very satisfying.
    Mar 14, 2009
    A good idea gone dumb, but somewhat engaging. The heavy-handed morality play is evident from the very first scene, and is revisited throughout. Still, this was actually a decent little thriller until the last third or so, then the film, uh, jumps the rail, so to speak. You'll know the moment it happens when you watch it. Good performances though, especially Emily Mortimer and the guy A good idea gone dumb, but somewhat engaging. The heavy-handed morality play is evident from the very first scene, and is revisited throughout. Still, this was actually a decent little thriller until the last third or so, then the film, uh, jumps the rail, so to speak. You'll know the moment it happens when you watch it. Good performances though, especially Emily Mortimer and the guy playing Carlos. Abby's character could have used a little more fleshing out, given how the movie ends. In all, I wished the ending was better. Expand
  16. RichR
    Dec 15, 2008
    This is a pretty good movie. I really liked the female lead, and I always like Woody Harrelson, who's essentially a comic actor, right? I mean, who could play a more clueless dork??? He still hadn't quite figured out what was going on by the end of the movie. But I loved the scenery and all the colorful local characters, Russian or not. Come to think of it, I'm not even This is a pretty good movie. I really liked the female lead, and I always like Woody Harrelson, who's essentially a comic actor, right? I mean, who could play a more clueless dork??? He still hadn't quite figured out what was going on by the end of the movie. But I loved the scenery and all the colorful local characters, Russian or not. Come to think of it, I'm not even sure this was filmed in Russia, but no matter. Expand
  17. Aug 23, 2010
    Charity workers go on long way round train journey to get home, meet fellow travellers, couple get separated, Russian police involved.
    Quite a decent thriller which builds up nicely & has the inevitable "goes bonkers" at the end.
    It does have some plot holes but always good to see Ben Kingsley in sinister roles & Emily Mortimer is very good too.
  18. Jan 31, 2011
    This is a silly movie. It definitely got too high a score from the critics. Stephen Holden, of the Times, spoiled the ending in the first line of his review. Well, I guess the movie spoiled itself. This is lazy filmmaking. Whoever mentioned **** in the same breath as this needs to have his mouth washed out with soap.
  19. Aug 11, 2016
    Transsiberian is a fine film with solid performances from the entire cast, however, the proceedings fall apart a bit in the second half. During the first half, the film is packed with tense thrills and incredible amounts of mystery, keeping you glued to your seat. However, in the second half, the film falters heavily. The tricks it pretended to have up its sleeve with not nearly worth itTranssiberian is a fine film with solid performances from the entire cast, however, the proceedings fall apart a bit in the second half. During the first half, the film is packed with tense thrills and incredible amounts of mystery, keeping you glued to your seat. However, in the second half, the film falters heavily. The tricks it pretended to have up its sleeve with not nearly worth it or downright predictable. At their worst, the plot elements in the second half become outlandish and wildly implausible, plus without reasonable explanation as to how certain things happen. Instead, the film opts to rush its ending a bit and skip ahead, but the pieces it skips would make the ending actually make more sense. Instead, the film is emotionally distant and keeps the audience at an arm's length, keeping us in the dark while it feels as though the characters know more than we ever will. That said, the film half is very well executed and incredibly tense. The acting is good throughout, plus the cinematography is quite good and the production design is very strong, especially aboard the train. Overall, Transsiberian hits the brakes and skids on the tracks in the second half, but its strong first half comes close to overcoming those problems. Expand
  20. Jun 11, 2015
    "Transsiberian" is a well-acted and beautifully-shot thriller that manages to keep its viewers on their proverbial toes, even if moral ambiguity may hamper character development.
  21. Dec 23, 2012
    Terrible, terrible film. Desperately tries to be offbeat and sinister. Fails completely. Awful script, awful characters, awful acting. Please do not listen to the critics who are paid good money to pander to rubbish like this.
  22. Jul 13, 2014
    No idea why this film has such a high score . Nothing interesting really during two hours. It tries to be sinister but it does not go anywhere. Poor acting mixed with poor characters also doesn't help.

Mortimer delivers as a mentally disintegrating wife, but it's Harrelson who provides the most fun, playing against type as the down-home Roy.
  2. A vigorous, fast-paced tale that entwines plot with character and psychology set against an incredibly exotic backdrop.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    An engagingly up-to-date melodrama steeped in local color and steered by a treacherous sense of morality.